I've hauled about everything I can think of but never hauled a bigger boat. The boat is 53 feet long, 16 feet wide and 16.5 feet tall. The height is a problem, That is as low as it will go. I bought this boat for a week end get away place. Buying the boat was the cheapest part. I got shipping quotes and that about scared me to death. I think I will buy or build a trailer to haul it myself. It can't be that hard. I already have a guy with a crane lined up to load it. Talked to the different states about permits and route (600 miles to go 395 miles), have my escorts lined up (Mom and girl friend, they always do my escorting) Girl friend is the best escort I've ever had. She will stop, direct and clear the way of anything or anyone. I've seen her get out and just chew someone out for not doing what she wanted. I almost feel sorry for them when she is done with them. Any one know were I could buy or rent a boat trailer. I would rather buy a trailer so I could move it later if I wanted to. A friend also bought a 48L X 12W X 13.5H boat that needs to be moved. Any advice on moving it, were to get a trailer or anything else I overlooked?? Thanks Ron
why don't you just go get the boat and drive it back in the water? those larger boats, especially when they get the tuna towers and enclosed bridges on them are never meant to be shipped anyway...most of them are built at their factorys and driven right to the customer upon original sale
well if your crane guy doesn't have experience with boats be damn carefully and look at it from every angle. I have seen many boats destroyed by in competent crane operators and riggers. if you can get permits for that height stick to your route if you go off route your going to be in a world of hurt. At least here in CA if your not a bonded pilot car it doesn't matter how good of an escort you are. you will have to jump through some firery hoops to get your trailer registered and approved. SO don't go blindly into building a trailer. Do some homework first. last what do you plan on using to pull the load?
dirt digger makes alot if sense.... if its possible to float the boat to where you want it. Where is the boat and where is it going to?
I have seen these used and tey are great for moving boats http://www.hostarmarine.com/road_trailers/index.htm
make sure your crane operator checks his rigging.....
Boat I haul bigger loads than this all the time so I'm good on permits and rules with oversize loads. I'm bonded so my Mom and girlfriend can work under me and so far that is good in the 49 state and Canada. I will take my girl friend over most escorts any day,as far as doing the job. The gentleman that is going to load my boat is a friend of mine and is well experienced with this so that is not a problem. I would trust him to doing anything with a crane. I also am experienced running a crane and have my crane certification, so between the two of us that should not be a problem. I bought special made rigging to do the job. I have several trucks 2005 W900 Kenworth C15 Cat 625 HP. , 18 speed 380 wheel base with a pusher axle and can add another pusher if needed. or I have a 2000 W900 Kenworth with Cumming's 550 Hp 13 speed 300 inch wheel base pusher axle. So that is covered. Building a trailer is not a big problem if it comes to that, I have built over twenty special trailers and never had a problem. I have a good friend that is certified structural engineer and he will design the trailer for me. As long as a certified engineer will put his stamp on the prints getting the trailer licenced/inspected is no problem. I would love to just drive/float the boat home but it would be over 800 plus miles and several locks to go threw. If I can keep the height down to 17 feet it will only be less than 395 miles home. Winter is coming and I need to get it out of the water and then I have all the time I need to haul it home. I don't want to pay to get it out of the water then pay again to put it back in the water next spring. (friend not costing me anything but crane rental is not cheap.) The boat is in Mn. on the Mississippi River and is going to near Sioux City, Iowa. Another reason I thinking of hauling it is because My friend bought a boat also, and because of the location and not being used for several years it has to be hauled, It is already in Dry Dock and I will need to get a trailer to haul it. Also I don't like to rent or borrow things because if you rent it you just bought someone else the trailer, and if you borrow it seem like I work on it to get it road worthy and then it breaks and you have to repair it.
Boat I looked at those trailers but they will not haul as big as boat as I bought. Thanks
Check out Brownell Boat trailers for some ideas ( http://www.brownellboat.com/index.htm ). They're a company out of RI that designs and ships their trailers all over the world. What brand of boat did you buy? Any pics? I'm an avid boater but I don't own anything that large...yet ;-) Andrew
what kind of bridge does it have on it? if it has an enclosed bridge then you miiiighhhhttt be able to take the bridge off and do it on two trips... i have gone to a few boat shows where they actually had the bridge sitting next to the boat because the doors to the convention center where the show was wasn't big enough to let the entire boat in the arena
not the same...but its still a boat...here is how I haul mine
I've only seen a few, and they were U shaped with open center.They had a heavy I beam running full length .Axles were mounted on outside of beam ( single tire) boat stands were off top of beam
:exactly Yeah..... Like he said......
here's how i haul mine newport beach,ca to riovista,ca 48ft long 15 wide 15 high
So much for their 3 hour tour.....a 3 hour tour....:lmao:falldownlaugh
I would have rather been on the island with Mary Ann and Ginger... just the three of us, that is. And.... thanks LowBoy... Now I have that damn tune running through my head. OCR........ :laugh
Digging in deeper???? I need to clarify this a bit... The island would, of course, support 3 people... much easier than the rest of the " cast aways ". The male is usually the hunter-gatherer... while the females usually prepare what the male has hunted-gathered... not always the case, but usually. Strictly a survival mode. OCR
hahah riiiiiiight :drinkup
You might give Freedom Transport a call (800) 937-6415. I hauled boats for them for 3 years. They have recently got out of the boat hauling business,and may have some trailers for sale. Most of what they had were Delevan trailers with a few Transcrafts. The bad thing about these is they have a really short neck on them, so in order to pul it with a tandem truck you have to have a really long slider Good Luck Heath (Freedom Transport is located in West Frankfort IL))
I always LOVED Ginger....but Mary Ann on the other hand, was more my speed. Farm girl, simple, not rich like Ginger. If you look close enough to the picture of the boat facing nose first to the drink OCR, you'll see Gilligan holding on for dear life in the stern, in the final moments before impact.(It has to be Gilligan, because who else on God's green earth would be THAT STUPID...to be in that boat while the crane has it slung?) I wonder if the Skipper blamed this one on poor Gilligan too?:lmao:roll:falldownlaugh
I'm with ya on that one LB, and your right, I went and looked, all he's missing is that goofy hat.
RKO have you considered using a barge to haul that boat. Something to think about.
Boat Lock fees will kill me.
Boat Thanks that is what I'm looking for. I will give them a call. If nothing else they might have some ideas. Thanks Ron
i have 5 boat trailers for sale 48-53' long air ride yacht haulers, email me [email protected] I have been in the boat transport business for over 10 years Josh
Once you get boat shipping hustle down it's really pretty easy. You know what part of the country it needs to travel through and if it can be done or not. If not remove the fly bridge. If still not then odds are you need a good captain/meteorologist as the boat is large enough to go rather than a trucking company. Super nice pictures in this thread! We are new to this board but more than happy to answer transport questions.
What sort of hull does the boat have as you may be able to build a cradle for it to sit and just use a normal drop deck to transport it this is how the 40ft boat that we use to move of the dock came and we just used our normal trailer the same as we move machine with we just took the rear ramps off
Here is a pic of one the boats i transported I have outlined the cradle with red it is also rigged ready to be lifted off the flat rack that it and the cradle sat on in the ship and be put on a trailer
By now its moved or rotted out and sunk- but nice looking boat
This is about a 45' boat correct?
I guess it may have been moved iam sorry only looked at the date on the last post, my bad. Wideload I can not remember if that one is the 45' or a 40' but it wood be no smaller may even be a bit bigger that pic was taken about 3 years ago
Wide load Shipping, Welcome to the BB. Think I have a couple of pics on your web-site (featured carrier) . Haven't been over there in a while. Been stayin busy though. Again, welcome to tha HEF.