I was wondering If this 83 GMC 600 would be a good equipment hauler it has a 8.2L detroit diesel, had a remanufactured sticker on the valve cover and it could idle really low so Id guess its running well, it doesnt have air brakes and when I talked to him when I looked at it he said he would take 16 hundred because 3000 was a title price or something like that, The GVW was 22,000 I think and I thought anything over 26,000 with truck and loaded trailer. But he said as long as it didnt have airbrakes you didnt need a CDL. So I need some CDL information and some reputation info on the detriot diesel and GMC large trucks. And very lastly would a pintle hitch be good to haul a backhoe or possibly in the future a small dozer with a dump bed on it with a pintle, or a flatbed with a gooseneck. Thanks
With that truck go with a pintle hitch - they are easy to hook up and will haul all kinds of weight. Make sure you have someone experienced in hitch installation do the installation. The main issue with mounting any hitch is to make sure the mounting will handle the shear stress of not only pulling the trailer but also stopping in an emergency. As I recall, even though the truck is rated and will be registered for less than 26,000 lbs, you WILL need a cdl license due to the fact you are driving a commercial combination vehicle (truck + trailer) As far as moving equipment locally form job to job goes, that truck should be fine. If you were hauling any distance over the road - that would be a different story. Personally, I would prefer to have a truck with air brakes. If you do that, in addition to a cdl license, you will need an air brake endorsement as well. John
I believe if your trailer gross is more than 10,001 lbs you are required to have a cdl.
There is no such thing as an "air brake endorsement". (In the States) That is only true if the CGVWR is over 26k
The seller is an idiot. If the GVWR of the truck + the GVWR of the trailer = More than 26k it will require a Class A CDL.( If the trailer is over 10k) Air brakes or the lack of doesn't dictate what type or class of license you will need.
There is a need to "have the air brake restriction removed", which most people call the air brake endorsement. Isn't that just a matter of semantics?
I like to call the dmv they can tell you the requirements for that state,in regards to what you want to do.
No, I don't think so.
I had a truck like that ,it was very good to me.But I only used it for about a year then up graded to a Fl60. The GMC will eat your lunch with that motor.