Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 Case 580B – Wonderful Wizard of Wires

d2r ยท 2011-03-21 17:42

Just back from the garage... ( yeah, I'm a soft-handed ex-city boy computer jockey transplant )... who are fixing up the front end on my newly acquired old hoe ... but I'm wondering about the next stage of this resurrection... the electrical system. The gauges all seem to be working, except for the tachometer/hour meter ( you need to two-hand the ignition... hold key while pressing starter button. ) Wondering if anybody has replaced the key & button with a simpler, newer marine ( as in waterproof ) setup. Also assuming that this bundle of wires ending with a plug ( lying on the floor behind the gearshift ) is the feed for the long missing rear & interior lighting. Anybody "been there, done that" for this particular beast? Any tips, traps or suggestions for improving the existing layout? Still travelling hopefully... d2r

Replies2
  1. #1roadrunner812011-03-22 09:34

    That wiring harness looks like its for the rear turn, stop and flasher lights.

  2. #2Mikefromcny2011-03-22 17:56

    Why not just move the push button hot wire to the "IGN" post on the key switch, instead of having it on the start terminal. I set up my 585c forklift up like this, I think its how it was from the factory.