Hey guys didn't know were to post thks and thought you guys might help me out. I need to a tow a knight manure spreader from chicago to laredo tx. It currently has those ag tires. Im thinking of putting some 11r22.5 wheels on it and some magnet two lights and towing it behind a pick up. Wondering if this is legal? Or something I should look out for?
That ag stuff is NOT designed for highway speeds, you'll lose the bearings before you get out of Chicago. Rent a trailer or pay a trucking company to flatbed it there for you is my suggestion. Cheers
How much should I expect to pay to have it shipped any idea?
Will it be full or empty, and if full only spread where needed I agree with Landtraxo, shipping will depend on the carrier, everyone has a different price.
Probably not. Cops. I'd bet you'd make it with no problem though. If this is a tandem axle, take off the back wheels, and run the front wheels with air pressure adjusted to match the load on the tire.
The bearings and hubs will be perfectly fine I've seen dealers pull grain carts, disks, planters, etc behind semi's down the interstate. The biggest problem is laws on width. Almost all implement tires will do fine. They are speed rated at load so empty you will be fine with the tires on it other than wear. All quality brand equipment has the same style tapered roller bearings as a truck or trailer. Make sure the hubs are full of grease before you leave and you will be fine. If you are not over width or height get a set of the good magnetic lights that plug into the truck with stop turn and tail and go for it Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
The only issue I see is width because of the huge tires. I was thinking of putting so semi 11r 22.5 wheels on it.
That should work great if they fit. Implement tires seem to bounce with a little speed. Edit: let us now how you make out. We love pictures.
Will do im currently in mexico and will fly out in a month or so to bring it down. Will post pics soon
Without knowing the size of spreader, I'd advise to load it on a trailer. I've dragged enough ag equipment down hughways, including cultivators & seed drills. Those Ag tires shouldn't be oversped. Try to & then try to touch one. 1300+ miles / 40mph = 32.5 hrs driving How heavy is this spreader? How heavy is your pickup? Got trailer brakes? What's gonna happen when that spreader starts to 'lope'? I'd contact the different states department of transportation to see what permits are required. Imho
Local custom spreader has the wide 22.5 tires on his spreaders. Not the super-single drive tires, but the wide steers that are often seen on cement trucks. Not sure what his overall width would be. The bigger question would be the bearings and whether they can handle the extra speed? Going through that many states, you'll need to check on each states laws/permits/etc if oversize. Also, can you tow it at highway speeds if it's a farm implement? Even with rated tires/bearings/hubs? Some areas may limit your speed unless it's plated as a trailer. Andrew
I agree with 1466 and old iron. My grandpa pulled a 15' wide bush hog from Chicago to MN with a dual one ton and took the 2 lane. Absolutely completely legal with a orange triangle on the load and the 4 ways going on the tow vehicle. I'd get a spec on the tongue weight. That bush hog made the steering light. Decent of hills might be a issue too. Farmers not for hire are can do more without restriction than the common folk. Take the interstate and you'll get hammered. What it boils down to is what kind of adventure do you want?
http://img.machinio.com/flin/6862321.jpg this is the manure spreader. Towing it with a 03 tahoe. Or a 97 f250diesel
Oh it's just a (cute) BABY..... id pull it with either truck..... Got Air? I gotta look at the picture again and see what kind of hubs it's got. I posted to your question about walking floors and pusher.
**** id haul it like it is. It may haul well at a better speed two say 50 mph would be good. But good advise stay off the interstate. Don't ever be a rolling road block. Let people pass you. .. if your finding you self at busy traffic times take more coffee breaks. In the beginning or as things warm up put your hand on the hub to take their temperature at each pit.
My first question would be ... how's this thing going to pull safely. Am I going to have enough weight on the steering axle. I put a spare tire in front of my grill once that's ok in the (not summer) If you took the f250 (longer wheel base good for steering axle) And you had a small box made out of heavy mesh and heavy angle iron you could store your bottle jack tow chain and all your metal tools in there. New rear tires and you don't want the truck to bounce (shocks) Plan on putting 80 psi in the tires when you hook up. I do this when hauling fire wood. Make sure the tire is not squatting too much. common rookie problem over heating side walls. When in doubt run them tires hard when loaded. Id buy good new rear tires even if I took them off and sold them at a loss? When I got home. Also if it's hot it may make a difference between Having to run at night when it's cooler
Cover metal tool box with old piece of tarp and 42 tarp straps
Looked at the Sin wagon picture again. Check or change temperature gauge and radiator hoses. Clean radiator. Be ready to adjust hitch hight. To do this hook up to said sin wagon till the rear bumper Gets mashed down...
Then stand back quite a ways and eye ball said rig. then say are those front tires on the ground? Take the weight off the hitch till the front tires touch the ground "more better. Raise hitch..... thinking 35 psi for steering axle would be sufficient. Dont know if said dragon is extended cab but get extra weight to the front in the cab chain tools full five gallon orange water ice Pop and beer. The water can be used for the radiator not the beer. Two gallons of anti freeze. Anything have put toward the front of the truck put spare tire or fat girls in the cab if you sprung a Small leak in the radiator you may need several gallons just to drive you half an hour where you want to be.
Thanks for all the help guys. The say the trailer ways about 3,00000lbs
Keep the nose down on the Dragon Will make the difference between making time (And getting out of every one's way so we can get to work too) And or going real slow.
If you interested in getting a price to ship that on a flatbed i can get you one! give me a call at 541-621-8655 or email me at [email protected] .
my father and others pull stuff that way a lot! Last thing he went and got was a big tall tired pull type sprayer took the tall tires off and put on sprinkler wheels with truck tires on them! graincarts manure spreaders all that goes thru here graincarts will get pulled up to 40 or 50 mph but I would make sure wheel bearings got enough grease! What is the difference some guys run grease in there semi trailer hubs instead of oil are the bearings that much different? For sure on the 7000 lb axles and at 3000 lbs its not that heavy but just my 2 bits!