I have a friend that wants to start hauling my 690ELC with his truck and trailer. The problem is that he does not have a lowboy or detach, just a 42 foot dropdeck, or stepdeck as some may call them. I looked under the trailer, and it does not look like it has enough structure on the outside to support the area where the pads will sit. What little bracing coming off of the main beam of the trailer is either rotted away, or completly missing, giving very little support to the outside edge of the trailer. So what do you think? Anyone used a trailer like this? Will it be okay, or am I going to break this trailer in two?
I'd stay away from it myself, too much room for liability with a trailer in such condition. In fact, I'm surprised it's allowed on the highway. He's lucky and hasn't been inspected I guess.
Um i wouldn't do it, you got any pics of the trailer?
I will try to get a pic. This is a old Kentucky brand trailer, right there tells you it is old! And I forgot I also seen rust holes 1 inch in diameter in the main beam. I can just see the sides falling and my hoe stuck on the turntable.
I'd take your buddy out for some beers and ask him if his carrier insurance is up to date and covers "stoopidity", that's just dumb not to use a low bed. ointhead
Side load the machine, and if you're lucky, the trailer will break in two before you're all the way on.
Yikes! Even our POS don't have holes in it! Just a few bends!!:laugh
Hauling Drop decks trailers are designed to have the load mostly over the main beams, not on the very edge. An 690E will be 10 feet wide and would be hanging a foot over on each side. It would be hard on a good step deck trailer. But then I see people get away with stupid things every day. I'm with bobcat ron I'd take your buddy out for some beers and ask him if his carrier insurance is up to date and covers "stoopidity", that's just dumb not to use a low bed.
aside from the trailer isn't made for that, that trailer is going to put the machine 18"to 2' higher than on a lowboy. i have to ask was the total height ever thought about
Well the dealer has New 320's haiuled in on stepdecks quite regularly. But your buddies sounds quite rotten and i would maintain your friendship and turn down the offer rather than lrisk loosing trailer, machine, and any sort of friendship.
Well we both looked it over today and decided that we are not going to haul it on there, and that the frame is rotted out. I kinda feel sorry for him, as they ended up buying a pos. The former owner sandblasted and put a fresh coat of paint on it. And we all know how fresh paint works, sombody always gets screwed.
I also forgot to ask, but how wide is your trailer? My machine is 10' 3" wide and it has 30 inch pads. Can I haul it on a 96" trailer or do I need a 102"? I don't know how much that I can hang over and not do any damage to my tracks. Thanks!
width of trailer It will all depend on the state you live in and the DOT officer that stops you. You should have the trailer wider that the measurement from drive sprocket outer edge to the other drive sprocket outer edge. Some states want it wider than that. All most everything I own is around 10 feet wide so I bought a 10 foot wide trailer with 1 foot out riggers, and 2 foot out riggers. I need a wide load permit anyway so it is no big deal. It nice to load on on a bad day. Your not trying to squeeze the machine exactly on the trailer. The axles are 10 foot wide and it pulls, and corners real good. I can widen out the trailer to 14 feet which is great for wide loads. I just need some more axles sometimes. I would say a 96 inch trailer with out riggers would be OK. Just make sure the trailer is long enough to meet bridge laws. That gets a lot of people in trouble.