Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Have To Decide Between These

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-04-24 08:30

I have to make a decision soon and am looking at the 2001 PC228US3 but trying to compare and decide between it and a 2003 SK250LC. I know the Kobelco is a little bigger going by ritchiespecs but looking at pictures of the Komatsu it looks a lot smaller than the Kobelco. Had decided that we were going with the 228 but would be buying it sight unseen and for some reason it doesn't look as big as the specs say it is. It will be used on a farm taking out trees and digging ditches so hoping someone can guide me to the right choice. The Kobelco is $13,000 higher but has 2000 less hours and is 2 years newer. The Kobelco also according to ritchie will put us over 80,000 to haul it which would require a permit. Does anyone know the weight on this for a fact and have an opinion between the two? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1ILLICEMAN2011-04-24 08:58

    Why such a large unit for the farm.I have a farm in west central Ill. and have used a Cat El200B for yrs.I did just upgrade this past yr.to a JDCLC.I wanted a better cab.This unit has a 49500lb.wt.We do everything from brush to Ill. river bottom drainage ditches with ease.I have good dealer service from both Deere and Cat. We have no problem hauling on a tandem lowboy.While I AM NOT YOU I really feel this is a good way to go.

  2. #2RDJ19662011-04-24 10:32

    We would rather have too big than too little I guess. Yours at 49,500 is between the two I mentioned if ritchiespecs is right. We won't have a problem hauling it but here we can only get 80,000 plates so it would be over depending on machine weight and I have not weighed our lowboy yet.

  3. #3MR. KOBELCO2011-04-28 08:13

    hi, if you give me your e-mail + ser# of the kobelco LL0#-U#### i can send you a brochure and maybe even comparison specs [email protected] cheers! adam

  4. #4Skytraker2011-04-28 20:55

    The Komatsu is a zero tail swing machine so it will look smaller. I would go with a Kobelco anytime over Komatsu but that is just an opinion. The Kobelco is 25 metric tons "dry weight' so it is hard to believe it would be over 80000.

  5. #5tootalltimmy2011-04-29 00:39

    I am thinking he meant 80,000 lbs gross weight with a tandem lowboy. Over that he would need a permit.

  6. #6MunkyMan2011-04-29 11:16

    If you are working in tight ditches confined area's the Komatsu would be the better brand. Kobelco are good IMO but I prefer Komatsu due to availability of parts & service.