Top right, steel ring. Top, chunks of wood. Bottom right, plastic pieces from something. Left middle, I have no idea. But very soft and spongy and grinds up in your fingers. Whatever they are, some of the spongy stuff and two of the plastic things were clogging the pick-up tube. Which could explain my seemingly bad transmission / no power problem. How awesome would that be? Hopefully I can get a chance to check it out tomorrow. I know the filters are clean, I just replaced them. But the previous owner must have changed them not long ago because the old ones were not bad. The fuel lines are still disconnected, I will blow some air threw them before I hook them up.
Those bottom plastic pieces almost look like fuses
Somebody threw that crap in your tank. Weld up something with a lock over the filler and you won't see this again.
I'm with whats already been said. Apparently when I was a kid I "was helping the old man" by dropping a few of his sockets into the tank. Little bits of wood maybe, but the other stuff, that aint no accident.
The round ring looks like the tie off ring on the bigger fuel nozzles , home heating oil delivery trucks/ found rings like that holding strainers in place in tanks and safety cans. The small tabs are left over pull tabs from 5 gal buckets, the rest is space junk.
That's exactly what I was thinking, 5 gallon buckets, that explains all the junk too. If somebody wanted to vandalize your fuel tank, they could do a lot better job than that. That's just bad fuel cleanliness to me. This is a job for the SUCK BUCKET!
a truck had my head bagging agains the wall for a week it stall for no reason intermittently and randomly shut it off and start right up it was a plastic film from the fuel aditive clogging up the pick up tube in fuel thank
Space junk or not, my transmission / power problem is still a problem. I took it for a drive around the apple tree and it had a hard time pulling a small hill. It is blowing more black smoke than before. But it didn't have a muffler that actually blows up instead of all over the place. Judging from the poor maintenance on this machine I'm inclined to agree its bad fuel cleanliness also. But I will keep a lock on the cap just in case Jatt stops over to help. I will keep an eye on the sockets too
Blueboy you are safe. I only "help out" locally These days the old boy is the one who loses the sockets. Either its a case of payback or he is just going a bit senile and forgetting where he left stuff
Lots of black smoke ? May be time to pull the air cleaners out if you haven't already. Is turbo charged ??
I agree with tinkerer. Sounds more like lac of air that would cause black smoke. You close to server pa I know I guy that could fix you right up.
Agree black smoke would tell me not enough air for the fuel. Could be just about anything that would limit the air. Air filter, turbo, exhaust restriction causing low boost, after cooler, plugged or leaking, bad hoses between turbo and intake......I'm sure other could list more things, would help to know what engine and systems we are dealing with, did not see it mentioned.
His other posts were regarding torque converter questions and governor adjustment, on a Deetroit in a Dynahoe
Ya its the Dynahoe 1900. 3-53 Turbo Detroit. Just replaced the air filter. The muffler and everything from the turbo back is brand new. The guys at Donaldson helped me with picking the right size muffler. Nothing else to restrict air flow. Its not blowing a lot of black smoke, just a little pulling a small grade. But I am starting to think the fuel restriction actually is part of my tranny / power problem. I never knew what the RPM was until today. I put a hand held tac on at full speed and its only running at 1900 RPM. And thats after I cleared the fuel line. Governor speed should be 2500. The throttle linkage on this thing is crap! At the governor is some kind of mickey mouse set up that will not let it get full speed. Once I get that fixed, I should get more power to the wheels. And I am thinking, since there is some black smoke, that there is a load on the engine. If there was no black smoke that would mean the transmission is slipping. Does that make sense? Sarver Pa? Its just up the road, but there is a lot more work to do before I drag someone else in this project of mine.
Being it is a Detroit, black smoke is common under load unless it is wound up. Has the engine been worked on recently? Something you could attribute the smoke to? Check intake piping, remove the piping at the turbo and check the turbo for endplay, gently. Also check the turbo for tight spots by gently turning the impeller by hand and with a careful touch see if you can feel any tight spots in the shaft. A turbo malfunction will definetly cause low power and lots of smoke. I haven't seen too many with turbo's, most have blowers or are naturally aspirated.
Well if it's a 53, 71, 110, or 149 Detroit they all have blowers. Turbos on the other hand are optional for different applications, some having more than one turbo! I think you would have a very hard time getting a 2-stroke Detroit to run naturally aspirated as there is no real intake stroke on a 2 stroke! NOt to mention the fuel pump on most run off the blower. Guess what is really needed is some good basic trouble shooting. Has this problem always been there for this person? Did it run great one day then the next time it was used no power and black smoke. If it has always been there since this person had this machine is there any history on what has or has not been done to it in past? If it has an emergency shut down system is it partially tripped causing restriction for air intake? Have the air box covers been removed to see what rings and liners look like? For that matter are the covers and gaskets for the air box covers in good condition and not leaking off air box pressure? How about hooking up a gauge to see what the air box pressure is, questions could go on and on but need some basic ones answered to know where to start.
A little smoke is a good thing, in this case it suggests the fuel is not the obvious issue. If the no load high idle won't reach rated speed, then it's possible that the torque converter is slipping as designed and will provide more torque at the designed engine speed. Just a guess. You decide if you fix/investigate the easiest thing first, or the most obvious. IIRC the Dynahoe is a recent purchase and had been sitting.
Another simple check is to take the flat cover off the blower and then stand clear and start it to see if it is spinning and blowing like it should. They originally had a fiber drive gear that sometimes got to slipping with wear. Most have been replaced by steel gears. Not sure you can get the RPM you are with the blower not working though. Had one in a skidder a few years that acted like plugged filters and turned out that field mice plugged the intake tube before the air filters.
No engine work as far as I know. I checked the turbo shaft, seems good. I just bought the machine in March, no known history. No emergency shut down. Air box covers have not been removed to see what rings and liners look like. The covers and gaskets seem to be in good condition and not leaking. Checking air box pressure will be added to the list. Ya I don't think its a fuel problem any more. More speed (RPM) more torque makes sense. If the easiest things were obvious then obviously it would be easy This machine weighs 24,000 LBS. Its going to need that 3-53 running balls-to-the-wall to get it moving. I don't think its a blower issue, but a throttle linkage problem. I can manually get more RPM's at the governor. Thanks for the good advice everyone!