Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Have you every broke a pin?

fishfighter ยท 2014-04-22 12:26

On my 580C, a last week working it, I broke one of the stabilizer leg pins. When it broke, it sounded like a rifle going off. The good news was that I was able to replace it easy.

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042014-04-22 23:02

    Usually, if you break a pin, it's from excessive wear on the pin or the boss. The slack lets it build up momentum.

  2. #2fishfighter2014-04-23 06:29

    Yes, the pin had a lot of wear. I had changed the bushing out on this one about a month ago and should of changed the pin too.

  3. #3grandpa2014-04-23 07:27

    In my mind, install a new bushing, a new pin belongs with it... kinda like peanut butter and jelly.

  4. #4fishfighter2014-04-23 10:22

    Should of, but was limited on money are the time. New pin cost me $15 at a local shop to make.

  5. #5Nige2014-04-23 11:37

    No offence, but at that price don't expect it to last too long. I hope you had the shop make a couple of spares while they were at it - you're probably going to need them.

  6. #6Tinkerer2014-04-23 12:42

    For another $50.00 you could of had the right pin. They are available all over on the internet. Here is one of them. It is the upper pin. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D67308-Pin-stabilizer-leg-to-frame-Fits-Case-580B-580C-/350589319098

  7. #7fishfighter2014-04-23 15:30

    The pin was made out of harden steel. Kinfolk deal. And yes, I was going to order that one off ebay that cost $44 + $16.16 S&H, but that would of been a week turn around too!