Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Have you tried Google “Sketchup”?

RobVG ยท 2010-12-29 19:45

Sketchup is a free CAD program from Google. I'm playing around with it to design a snowplow to mount on my brushguard. You can rotate your objects in any direction and add color, texture, text and dimensions. It's pretty cool and handy for drawing up parts for the machinist.

Replies6
  1. #1Greg2010-12-29 20:14

    Just downloaded it. Good thing to figure out how to use in the cold and snow here now. Thanks for putting this up.

  2. #2watglen2010-12-29 22:12

    is it fairly easy? I am proficient with ACAD 12 and the like. Not practiced with the 3d modeling.

  3. #3RobVG2010-12-29 22:17

    I'd say it's fairly easy. The more you use it the easier it gets. I'm still learning. They also have several video tutorials that demonstrate the tools and techniques.

  4. #4Stevenbrla2010-12-29 22:24

    Looks cool Rob. I downloaded a couple years ago, but never took the time to figure it out. Used to use turbocad for a sideline thing. The google thing looks great, especially for FREE!

  5. #5Auctioneerhere2010-12-30 00:09

    I have not used it...My son loves it. He comes up w/ some neat stuff.

  6. #6Balavto2011-02-18 04:44

    I downloaded Skechup and i love it!! It's handy for drawing up parts, but i had problems with exporting to another file format.. Skechup is still a tool for amaters i think.