Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do you sometimes just want to say “no”?

RobVG · 2010-12-26 23:54

This morning I woke up to rain, wind, and cold but that was fine because the most difficult things on today’s list were to make coffee and get a fire going in the woodstove. As I’m enjoying the warmth of the fire, nursing my bad back and sipping hot black coffee, I get call. It was my wife’s daughter’s boyfriend Steve. They had taken two cars to our house for Christmas dinner and on the way home, his broke down a mile up the road and they left it there. It sounded like he threw a belt- alt light and no power steering. Steve’s a nice guy but he couldn’t fix his way out of a paper sack. For some reason I can never say “no”. No matter how much I’d like to. Long story short, I got him back on the road. I’m glad I did. It made me feel good and it reminded me of the few times when someone has helped me out. I need to remember that next time.

Replies9
  1. #1Aussie Leroy2010-12-27 06:54

    It's always a pain helping until you've done it and then ya feel good, well done RobVG

  2. #2Stevenbrla2010-12-27 09:12

    Lucky Steve to have a friend like you, Rob.

  3. #3qball2010-12-27 13:10

    my personal ride is a service truck. i usually stop to help stranded motorists, but many seem afraid to let me help them. oh well. as for family, i am always wrenching on their junk.

  4. #4RobVG2010-12-27 13:16

    Thanks for the kind words. I wasn't expecting that. I admire the guy's that stop to help a total stranger. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever done it. Usually just mutter "poor b*****d" under my breath.

  5. #5Greg2010-12-28 00:07

    Hard time saying no to friends, family and neighbors here. When they call or ask I do my best to help them when ever I can. Well, what do you think I get in return? It comes back to me in spades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good frineds, good neighbors, I am always glad to do what I can. It is amazing seeing it come back around, and oh ya, I need a hand every once in a while too.

  6. #6Wrench_one2011-01-21 04:55

    Really enjoy reading about all of the different topics on the HE forums here. Many of them feel like a chapter right out of our own lives. I have to agree with you all. As mechanics with a big monster trucks, cranes, compressors and tools of all sorts, people seem to flock to our house too in search of the guy that they think can perform a miracle for charity.

  7. #7watglen2011-01-21 07:37

    I have the worst time saying no. In fact i don't think i ever have. Can you fix this? Do you think you can have a look at that? It never ends. I recall one time over Christmas, father and I were up on the side of a grain bin fixing the top bearing in the neighbours auger, in a blizzard. The neighbour was in his house. That was the day i realized that its possible to be taken advantage of. I always say i wish i had a neighbour like me.

  8. #8CM19952011-01-21 10:46

    It's sad that our society today has that mentality, always assuming the worst in people. I have offered help to people broke down before and some look at you like you are the next ax murderer.:beatsme

  9. #9Bison2011-01-21 12:37

    I had a neighbors wife having a habit of calling me to help calving out their problem cows, and in bad weather to come over with the tractor to feed the critters. I had to catch them in the field,tie them to the fence(no facillities) ,use my own calfpuller cause they didn't have one. Her husband was allways working in the oil. When i finally suggested to her husband to either stay home and take care of things himself or get rid of these cows,i was called inconsidderate and selfish. Thank you sir.