Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Having trouble with hydraulics on my Hitachi ex 120-3

dthomason ยท 2013-05-19 13:31

I have a problem any time i try to use more than one function at a time.. I don't have any speed or power in my stick or the bucket and i can't track. It seems to get way worse as the hydraulics get hotter. I read some other threads in this forum from a year ago that were almost identical to my problems and i followed that adivice and added shims to the pilot valve and it stopped the loud clunking in the hose from the pilot filter and it also seemed to help spool up the pump better but once it gets hot my controls slow way down and i loose power again. I read another posting that said something about the angle sensor, can anybody tell me what that does and if that could be my problem as well. Oh i also replaced the main pressure relief valve but it didn't help at all.

Replies9
  1. #1shopguy2013-05-19 14:00

    The A/S is the one on the pump that tells the pvc (computer) how much angle or stroke the pump has all the time.I dont think it is causing dead slow but here is a shade tree test that will get you started , with the key OFF unplug the A/S then start it up at low idle the pump should go to full stroke and load the crap out of the engine if it does I would think the electrical is ok Turn the key OFF before ou plug it back in. Hope This Helps

  2. #2dthomason2013-05-19 14:19

    Thanks i will give that a try, if it checks out ok do you have any other suggestions. Sometimes my functions will hesitate even when the pilot lever is moved completely, it will just sit for a second and then move quickly????

  3. #3rock2reef2013-06-23 19:15

    Did you find the problem? Having similar problem..

  4. #4dthomason2013-06-29 08:59

    Hello rock2reef, i have not found the problem yet so i am sending it to the shop to have it checked out. My mechanic thinks that it is electrical but really can't check it out too good in the field, i have it in the mountains right now on a job. It seems to be getting worse and i can not operate more than one function at a time or it just about stalls all functions completely. When he gets it figured i will post the solution for you.

  5. #5wilko2013-06-29 10:38

    Please do. I had the same problem last fall and was told it was a worn pump. A big pile of money later and it still has problems. Ouch.

  6. #6rgl7262013-06-30 05:36

    Need to use dr zx to diagnose it properly. Initial is to check all 1 amp fuse. And do not replace it with a higher amp.

  7. #7rock2reef2014-03-29 16:27

    I did find the problem, I had a bad DP sensor & needed to change the PVC computer as well. In hindsight I wish I had changed the PVC earlier as the DR EX would not work (and I knew the wires were good) but it would not communicate, which was an indicator. I now know this system pretty well. Follow your codes, your sensors, and if your DR ex doesn't work, replace your PVC! A little note on DR EX. Some of the gray market machines you have to flip the connector, some you don't. I think its cuz the Chinese read right to left..

  8. #8rock2reef2014-03-29 16:31

    Oh and EBay has proved reliable for parts

  9. #9Myles cooke2017-01-09 09:21

    Did this solve your problem as of 2017