Hayes is known for an impressive list of "firsts" in logging truck design. To mention a few: dual axles, sself loading trailers, diesel engines, etc. I will start with a few Hayes HD model and then HDX. Post your vids and pictures of Hayes trucks. Pics of Hayes HD
Some HDX models. Picture #2 shows last built Hayes truck. Still going strong and many are, which brings me back to the Hayes motto"Last to Built".
Pics of HDX models. Pics #4 and #5 show ex M&B unit #H318 preloader from 1974. Now in operation under Lake Lemare Logging. Many Hayes trucks are converted in to a second or third life.
More HDX models. Picture #3 shows HFP unit #T456. Truck is not a logging truck anymore - it has been converted to some kind of trailerdolly/undercarriage for a Vancouver based company - Surespan. Hood and cab has been removed from truck. Picture #4 and #5 show HFP unit #T0721. Look at fenders. They are not the original ones. Fenders are from a set forward HDX model.
More HDX pictures - 4 of them HFP trucks with loads. Last pic is contractor truck with lowbed
Sorry I forgot to upload last 2 pictures
Here they are
This lowbed truck was bought new by Curly Marshal and was truck #4 Then went from owner to owner and is now owned by a fellow down in Duncan I believe. He bought it at the RB Auction in Parksville last year and fixed it up and it was at the Duncan truck Show this year Hayesno1 and I went over her pretty good
Great thread. Thanks for keeping up the history of these trucks.
Thanks HDX. Now I can recognize her when comparing pics from summer 2007(truck with lowbed) and summer 2010 when she was parked at The Duncan Truck show. I remember we went over her pretty good. We thought she was an old BCFP truck at the time I went into cab to get #sn but some how I lost track of my notes with #sn. As I recall she is from the early 60's. Look at those stacks - they have been lengthened to look like real stacks
More HDX pictures. Pics 1 and 2 show Dystant HDX unit #22. Pic 3 is a LLL truck and 4 and 5 show ex MB units. Pic 5 is MB unit #H321 preloader from 1974. A contractor owns her at present time.
The truck pictured above (Pre-Load)Lee Hutton got unit # H321 brand new in Franklin River Division in 1974 an was her only driver right up till 2003 when Weyerheauser sold the entire Division to Hayes Forest Services and they got to cherry-pick the equipment they wanted. Unfortunatly they had no use for preloads and old H321 was sold to Danny LaRose and then to Dorman.Of the 12 preloads that were at Franklin only 2 survived here and are still running and have their original M&B unit numbers H14 --1989 P16 and H17 1975 HDX. One other preload is still there unit # H320 however Hayes Forest converted her to a conventional but she is still hauling logs with us. HFS scrapped H90 H91 and H316 all three were HDX Preloads.Can give more info if required
Thanks for information re owner of H321. Any information re Hayes has my interest- and hopefully others. I guess I am "insatiable" . H321 came in a series of 6 units to MB all preloaders; numbered #H316 to #H321. They all had set forward axles. As far as I know only #H316 has been scrapped the rest are still going strong/parked. #H317 is working as a tractor for Surespan, Vancouver. #H318 present owner is LLL. Truck runs with a huge dump trailer. Re #H319 later HFP #T8158 I am not sure if it has been sold. As you mentioned HDX #H320 is still running with you guys. Re #H321 I think it might be at QCI, but Trackloader will know. TorkelH has posted a picture of #H316. See link: Pic1 shows #H317 summer 2000, Pic2/3 show #H318 at LLL shop summer 2005, Pic4 shows HFP #T8158 ex #H319 at Sarita summer 2005.
Pics of MB #H320 preloader summer 2000 Cameron Div. before she was converted and afterwards in HFP colours summer 2005 Cameron Div
Those three trucks ( H320 H321 and H17) all preloads were driven by the same drivers for the longest period of time in M&B history-- Bob Dingsdale got H320 new and stayed on her for 27 years till he retired in 2001 and Lee Hutton with H321 till truck was sold out from under him in 2002 after 28 years and I still have H17 after 35 years. There was 6 trucks came new in 1974 and H17 came in 1975, When Franklin River Division got the 6 new preloads in 1974 our sister Division (CAMERON) just down the mainline got 4 new HDX Preloads also H88 H89 H90 H91 H88 was sold at a R/B Auction to Coulson Forest and they still have her although she is and has been parked for some years H89 was transferred to Shawnigan Division where they made her into a Conventional and was later sold to somebody else. Saw pictures of her and she looks great well looked after and she still sports the unit #H89 and like I said H90 H91 were both cut up.
H-278 I remember this before they ever tried putting the sand box on it. This pic. was taken in the late 90's at Sproat Lake Div. I remember it only as a log hauler.
These Smith sandbox's were a great thing when they first came out. At first they were 17 yard box's and were mounted on HD Hayes trucks. We got 4 in 1971 and were mounted on Unit H48--H38 --H97 and H102. In 1976 they were replaced with 24 yard Smith sandbox's and installed on the HDX's 2 were mounted permanantly on trucks and two were seasonal use box's 1 was a preload box and the one in Sarita was a drop over the bunk box. The 24 yard jobs would scare the hell out of you because the loader would heap the sand up as much as he could and the when you started sanding of coarse the box would be lifted an holy cow the center of balance was just too high. Interesting when up on top of a mountain and sanding away in the dark and one of the hoppers plugs up-although the exhaust was plumbed through the box it didnt always help. Smith moved their operations down to the States and are still doing great.Good to hear. Almost all the Smith box's that came to the Alberni Valley are long gone now. Our 17 yard box's were cut up by Budget Steel in the early 80s and the 24 yard jobs were all sold off. Now in the winter we go home if it snows or you take your chances with maybe a grader. Real fun stuff
They don't sand anymore? I remember a couple of HDX's with full loads on sliding down - with sanded roads - to their fates back in the late '70s. I just remember how the drivers would aim for the uphill side ditch in the hope of slowing their uncontrolled descent - it was amazing that the HDX's were that tough that they could be pulled out of the weeds with a cat, have their loads re-done by a loader and away they went again. It always seemed to be that they would leave us in the summer show for just a little bit too long and winter would catch us. The poor bugger driving the low bed with a grapple yarder on the back must have been crapping his pants.
So they don't sand anymore. I am a bit confused. I took these pics of MB H278 and H33 this summer at Cameron Div. IT - still having unit H33 - even got a new coat of paint. I think H33 was a preloader before she was converted but HDX knows for sure.
Hayes no1 Yes and no Those two sand trucks belong to Island Timberlands . They are the Northwest Bay crews that came to Port Alberni under the guise of "its all OUR WOOD NOW " so you guys can go home, We, the crews that had been logging there from the start and were kicked out of our own logging areas and roughly 130 guys instantly lost their jobs BUT those new guys sure as hell didnt lose anything. The survivors of the original crew ended up in the Sarita area of operation and thats where we work for now There is and always will be VERY hard feelings over this crap BUT all comes to he who waits and one day they will get theirs.KARMA MY FRIEND!!!! As for the HDX sandtruck that is parked there well it was a WAR TROPHY taken by NWB from Sproat Lake Division as with most other stuff. The H33 was always a NWB truck. NWB got to come up and cream all the equipment from Sproat and Cameron and Franklin Divisions before the entire outfit was given away NWB has two P16s and they were war trophys from Kelsey Bay Division when they switched over to highway trucks and gave away their fleet of 850 Kenworths and Pacifics. This was done to ensure that these divisions could never go back to off-highway trucks These trucks ended up scattered all over the coast and even into the oilfields of Alberta.IF you want I can send you a picture of that HDX sandtruck H278 on its side with a full load of sand right outside the Cameron Division gate seems it didnt even make it up the first little hill perhaps it was better there than over the bank somewhere but when it comes right down to it WHO CARES! BITTER---YOU BET!
I missed much of the carnage that happened to the logging divisions in Port Alberni, because I left with the first wave back in 1982. I do have contact with individuals who soldiered on through these times and they seem to have been jostled around quite severely over the last 3 decades. My guess is that the downsizing isn't over yet. I wound up in the Airline industry and the situation is very similar and is also ongoing. It's actually easier to move an airliner to another region or country much easier than a logging truck - you just fly it there.... The management also realizes this and often play one workforce against the other in this little game - it's called divide and conquer. I'm almost glad that my working years are almost over but I fear for the young guys coming up to fill my shoes. Thankfully the new generation knows better than to tie their horse to the cart of their employer and their lack of engagement to working for a living is going to be to their benefit.
Another interesting thing about Hayes sander H278 is the rear differentials. It is the only Hayes HDX I've seen in logging service with the Clark 121,000 lb rear axles.
Some pictures of a 1964 HDX 32-80 model. Some kind of self- and preloader truck. Look at reach all most like a telescope. It even got a MB door from H32. Pictures were shot summer 2005 at Cameron Div. Truck is still around but has seen better days.
Pics of my favorite Hayes model - The WHD model. "W" indicates it got a 40" wide frame. First 3 pics show ex Linehamm WHD. Present owner might be Olson, CR. Last 2 pics is a very unique WHD. I think HDX has posted some comments re this truck.
PacificEd No they were not as common as the BD91,000 but they were an option from Hayes. Remember that the majority of these trucks Pacific P12--P16 and Kenworth 849--850 and the HDX's were already an expensive truck and where you were hauling dictated did you really need 121s or were the 91,000s doing the job. The 121s were VERY expensive options and some Contractors in fact did buy them --they swore by them cause they had used them before.Also it took twice as long to do a brake reline on the 121s whereas you could do two relines on a 91,000 in the same time frame The 121s were bulletproof and went for a long time without failure and when they did they were big bucks to repair My personal feelings were it was all in what you had the money to buy. Phone around now and try and find 121 parts!!!! getting harder to find all the time. Everywhere you look there is BD91s in the scrapyards because everything from trucks to rubber tired log loaders had them and im here to tell you that there is log loaders being cut up all the time. The Contractors up here are just going to the scrappys and getting them to cut out the rear diffs and buying them--only thing you gotta change is the drop gears cause of the low ratios
H-321 was up here for some time, but vanished last year some time. No idea where she went!
After reading through this thread and noting the timing of the sander boxes mentioned by HDX as being early '70's and on I'm wondering if the bad accident we had at Gold River in the early '70's had anything to do with their construction and coming into use. One winter morning a contractor drove his gravel truck full of sand up in behind and past a grapple yarder in order to sand the road so the log trucks could get up there. He had two guys with him who got out and climbed into the back once he'd turned around. Standing beside each other they started shovelling sand as soon as the truck started down the hill while raising its box. Unfortunately, whoever had hung the guyline off the grapple yarder to a backspar stump didn't flag it so in the dark nobody saw it and when the raised box hit the guyline it tore the box off the truck, flipping it over and killing the two guys in the back. After that there was no shovelling sand from the back of a truck done as a method of sanding and we quickly got a fancy sander with a spinner on it that was always breaking down. I'll never forget that morning though. Bad time. That's why I wonder if that made WCB mandate a safer way of sanding afterwards? Take care.
Here are two pictures I got from HDX. Pics showing IT's H278 sand truck when it had tipped over winter 2008/09 at Cameron Div.
2 pics of an old tired HD ramp truck summer 2005. Look no door handle but she was still going strong in 2005. 2 pics of ex MB #H110 - later Timbermill truck where it got "Christmas" colours. Pictures were shot on Mainland, BC this summer. Present owner unknown.
DaveHaddon I remember when that happened because we did the same thing here at Franklin River. The worst was winter of 68 remember that one God I get cold just thinking about that winter. Fuel froze in the fuel tanks of all the logging trucks yarders were kept running all nite long under tarps, Well the fuel didnt exactly freeze just turned to jelly --The gravel trucks with the two guys in the box was common and then they even tried towing a rear end with a "A"frame and a spinner device attached to the yolk on the rear end so when it was being towed the wheels would turn and the axles would spin this abortion --the guys in the box would turf the sand onto this thing and it would throw sand everywhere. They even tried using sawdust but same thing first truck locked up and dragged all the stuff off the road. You are right though about the two guys. Very sad and yes then the pressure was on to come up with proper sand trucks and Smith was right there.
Hi again. Thought there might be a connection there regarding those sanders. The reason I'll never forget that morning is because I ....not having heard anything about the accident yet.....cracked a joke to Cliff Malazgar, the contractor and driver as he stood next to his truck that was sitting there without a box on it. "Don't look now but somebody stole the box off your truck," I yelled at Cliff as I walked to my office in the shop. I laughed and waved as he stood there talking to Cliff Holst, the General Foreman. He gave me a funny look. About five minutes later a couple guys came into the shop and I heard what had happened. You can imagine how much of an a-hole I felt like, and I was later able to apologize to Cliff. He knew I didn't know so didn't pay no mind to it, but I've always felt bad about that. And I too recall the winter of 67/68, particularly the big freeze-up of the pulp mill at Gold River. It had just started production in '67, the year I started working at it, and during the Christmas/New Years period it was shut down for maintenance for several days. Then, all the lines were filled and preparations were started to flash up the mill again. Unfortunately, that was the night the big freeze moved in and the whole mill froze up solid, breaking darn near every valve in the place. We'd had a lot of snow before then but from then until into March we had daily small snowfalls that blew around and created drifts all over the place and I recall my car being frozen in for nearly two months before I could dig it out. I seem to recall total snowfall accumulations for Gold River as being in the 16 foot area that year. By far the worst winter I've ever endured on Vancouver Island. Oh, and you have no idea how many bloody valves there are in a pulp mill. We had truckloads of them come in for quite a period before we got back up again. I know because I unloaded all the trucks back then. Also enjoyed your mention of the 121,000 lb Clarks above. As you noted there weren't many around but they weren't unknown. The best way to be set-up was to run 91,000 Clarks and carry either 13.298-1 or 15.033-1 ratios, as they could be changed back and forth via different drop gears. A 12.00-1 ratio had different case halves though so they were unique and not a lot in use either, unless you had a long haul on good roads. Also, it was always better to have the front rears as spares as they could fit either front or rear position whereas a rear could only go in that spot. Carry a couple of spare rears, a couple sets of drop gears and some Clark brake parts and you were good to go most places and had a couple of gear ratio choices available. In the 60's and '70's I recall being told that if a guy yarded with Madill, loaded with American and hauled with a Hayes or Pacific he'd have to be real poor at logging to not make any money. My how times have changed. Take care.
DaveHadden I know Cliff well and whenever im up your way I always run into him. As for diffs where things went sideways was if you took the Allison trans out and put in a set of sticks or a roadranger trans you had to go to 11:1 ratio to get any roadspeed out of the truck. I restored a 1973 WHD ex Elk River Timber #26 and sure could not afford an Allison so we stuffed a 1263A main and a 1241C aux in her looks factory with all Hayes Clutch linkage and everything but top speed with 15:1 is about 25 MPH My wife found a set of 11:1 drop gears and that was Christmas present one year so now all that needs to be done is get her over a pit for a day and change them. There was a formula for that conversion and I think it went you could change 15:1 and 13:1 to 11:1 without changing casehalves but then there was something about 12:1 and this was where casehalves had to be changed Do you remember????
Howdy HDX, I'm not familiar with the 11.00-1 ratio at all and the thing about the 12.00-1 vs the 13.298 or 15.00-1 ratios was indeed the different case halves. I remember that because back when I was getting a bunch of stuff together for a show at Turnbull Cove for Lemare Lake Logging we had everything set up for the trucks that had been selected to go over there once it started up. They were all 15.00-1 BD 91,000 Clarks so everything that was used in conjunction with that set-up was sent over and set up in a parts trailer. Everything was laid out at the Kilpala shop, where I worked, and off I went for Christmas shutdown. So into the new year and we start that show up....first day.....first load down the road and the truck blows a diff. They radio over about it so I tell them there are two spares in the trailer etc etc. A few minutes later comes the return call that the diff that is on the truck that is broken was a 12.00-1 ratio and wasn't likely to work well with the 15's that were there in the trailer. This confused the heck out of Jack DeWitt and me as we hadn't sent a 12.00-1 ratio over there. Turns out that the old man (or maybe his kid Eric) had decided to send over another truck at the last minute so they grabbed one that was new to them and had been sitting out back for a month or so. It hadn't been checked out or even looked at that I was aware of. Nobody thought to check the diffs in it, that's for sure. 12.00-1 ratio is not the right one for short green new roads either. LOL Cost a pretty penny to charter a chopper and then carry over a couple of 15-1 diffs to get that truck going and in the meantime nothing could get around it. Sort of a case where wanting more production but not thinking things through cost a lot of bucks and lost production. Anyway, for sure the 15.00-1 and the 16 something to one were slow slow slow, which in a lot of cases along the coast here was about all you wanted to go anyway. At Gold River we were all 13.298-1 which was a compromise between the offroad hauling requirements for slow and steady and the highway hauling requirements which was a bit more speed oriented. As west coast loggers we sometimes overlook the fact that those diffs were originally designed for big cranes in dockyards and the like and hardly had to move quickly at all in that application. We basically took those diffs and put them in a logging truck, loaded 100 tons of logs on and sent it off down the road at 25 to 40 MPH. No wonder the darn things broke. I was never much of a mechanically oriented type guy but when you buy parts for logging equipment that ranges in age dating from the '40's to brand new you can't help but learn a bit about how things operate. I sure wish I could remember better all the different machines I bought parts for over the years though. In Gold River we actually had a couple of what had originally been Pacific chain drives (circa late '40's) that had been converted to the 4640 Timkens set-up and were still hauling logs when I arrived in 1969. I thought they might have been called Stirlings or something like that when they were chain driven, but I could be totally mistaken there too. And I see Cliff around now and then and I really feel bad that I spelled his name wrong in my other post. It's Mlazgar, not Malazgar. DUH! Anyway, gotta go now and finish the dishes. Take care.
Well here are some pictures of "HDXs" Elk River #26. She looks like she just left the factory line or even better, great job HDX
HFP's Hayes HDX trucks in summer 2005
Good old #7, Reg Smyth bought it new in jan/74 s/n 6016 and it became unit #7 12V71N with 5speed main and 4 speed aux Al Burdick was the first driver and he stayed on her right up till he retired. Was sold to Pat Carson after Reg passed away and Al went with her and then Hayes Forest bought out Pat Carson and they renumbered her T457 but she was and always will be #7 was sold after Al retired and it went to the Queen Charlottes and is still hauling up there. This truck should have been given to Al when he retired he earned it!!!! Trakloader knows it well--as for T0721 that truck was one that HFP bought and rebuilt I will get the serial # this week and run it and see who got it new---I seem to recall BCFP something rings a bell but I will scope it out
Hayesno1 Thanks for posting pics of the "Pumpkin" she looks really good there
What a beautiful piece of Island history- I have been admiring her through pictures for a couple of years now. You are doing everyone a service in this restoration, saving a piece of yesterday for those who will arrive tomorrow. Good on ya' friend- She could not have turned out any better!
Some pics of a Hayes HD steel spar that is on display at Prince George Railway Museum. It's a 1954 Hayes model HD 20-60; sn#4031515
Pics of Hayes HD 22-48 - sn#0112202 from 1960. Truck is at display at Sayward Junction North of Campbell River. Pics were shot summer 2010.
Hayes HD with offset cab on display in Revelstoke BC. Truck got a preloader system. Truck is from 1956.
Pics of Alan Williamson Hayes HDX 45-98 model from 1967. MB unit #H07. It got a GM 12V-71 putting out 456 Hp.
Pics of Hayes HDX model at Sarita dry sort summer 2005. HFP unit #T460.
1st pic shows Hayes HDX unknown contractor. It might be a Dave Mill truck. Next 4 pics are of Hayes HDX, HFP unit #T615. All pics were taken at Sarita summer 2005.
Great picture of the unloading. Can you show how the uprights get released to unload like that? I have always wondered about it. I am sure there must be something simple.
Here are some close up pics of system. When relaesing "cable lock" at bunk the oppesite stack will tip. So yes very simple. Hope this will give you an idea of how it works
All close up pics were shot in 2007. It's HDX' s WHD.
Great Shots. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks you
Pic 1 shows a HDX model at Tom Turners place Campbell River summer 2000. Can any ad some information on this truck. I know that it had a dump on for some time. Pic 2 was shot in summer 2000 at MB Cameron Div. A Hayes HDX 1965 model; HFP truck #T721. It was parked at Contractors parking lot - sadly a few years later - HFP trucks were parked all over the old MB Cameron Div. area. Last pics show 2 HD's logging trucks in Quesnel summer 1980. First pictures of Hayes trucks I've shot
Some pics of Millstreams Hayes logging trucks - unit #31 and #33. Behind #31 unit #30 was parked, but I was out of rolls. All were HD models. Pics were shot in summer 1986 east of Ucluelet. Unit #33 was the last HD built. #33 is still around but she has seen better days.
HD make over Here is a 1971 HD Hayes I helped rebuild for Stewart Transport in Cochrane AB. He also has a 1969 Clipper that looks pretty nice! The HD was here was built to go logging. Was a fun project!
Greatwestcam, Man that is one classy job Well Done Too nice to put back to work. Put her on the truck show circut!!! Hats off to you guys.
Thanks HDX that means a lot coming from a pro builder such as your self. She is living in Coldstream BC with two other Hayes's, a 74 HD and the 69 Clipper along with two 78 Kenworths, all dressed to the 9's. I'll try to get my buddy to send me pics to post. ( best looking lawn ordements any man could have).
She is looking great. Nice Job Greatwestcam. Looking forward to see pics of the other Hayes
I love the Tare weight on the door! "Heavy" Says it all, doesn't it.
Pics of HDX preloader with watertank maybe an ex BCFP truck (#40-127). Truck belonged to Munns Lumber when I shot pics in summer 2005
This is an old Hayes HDX truck from 1962. It's a HDX 35-88, sn#2062335. Funny how water tank has been cut. I am pretty sure it's an old BCFP truck and it might be a preloader as well before it was converted to water truck. "HDX" might know. Pics were taken at Munns Lumber shop summer 2005. Except last pic which shows same truck in summer 2010. Tank has been removed. Hopefully someone will save this truck.
In the bottom picture on the right, The truck with the crane is it an international because i think I have seen it in powell river . Same truck? [/IMG]
Hayesno1 Yes thats her in all her glory good old 6-250 and then the fire tanker unit 36-120 was BCFP Unit no 6-219 also a Caycuse Division Truck. I can tell by the last picture that you found her in Campbell River hiding in the back of that yard HaHaHa Good Job
Yes same truck. I have just posted pic of cornbinder at VI-Thread
Thanks for information HDX. Yes she was hiding well away from road. I took pic of sn-plate. She was parked beside a KW 849 dump truck. I guess those 2 trucks will not see any action anymore 2 pics of Steele Rock Logging unit #2 HDX at Beaver Cove, summer 2010. That truck is in very good condition
Hayesno1 Yes that old 36-120 and some of her sister trucks in that series came with the Cummins 903 V8 engines. When these engines finally failed they were replaced with the good old standard 12V71N. I will track down the HDX you pictured there looks very interesting She has had a rebuild somewhere down the line -headlites have been changed as well as new style hood and air cleaners 12V71TT and the water tank is a new one not sure if it was a Promac one or not The power steering tank has been moved from under the hood on the firewall to being bolted to the front of the cab-this was done because with all the plumbing done with the install of the TT engine they didnt have room under there I would also say that the owners have put the new style bunk on her also with the twist and lock instead of the older "Horseshoe" lock type You know the more I look at her the more she smacks of an ex Saunders truck or a Company truck just a shot there all will be revealed when time permits
Well HDX more pics of #2. I can't see if it got a Promac tank as I can't see tank has been stamped with "logo" like Port McNeill trucks with Promc tanks.
Steel Rock unit #4 and #7. They are in pretty good shape as #2. Allthough #7 seems to have worn out front springs. Both HDX models seem to have new fenders
Hayesno1 They are in very good shape for todays industry standards The water tanks ARE HAYES with new style ladders on both sides #4and 7 have new fenders with quad headlites and #7 has had the front bumper widened to match the fenders but #2 is still pretty original (still think she is an old M&B truck) just smacks of it thats all Time will tell
So, as I follow this thread, I am learning all sorts of things. Do I understand that the headache rack doubles as a water tank? If so, how much, and what for?
Yes that's correct. Standard on HDX model was a 400 gallon water tank. Water is used for cooling brakes
JDOFMEMI Look at Hayesno1's last picture in posting #63 It is a side /rear view of a typical Hayes HDX water tank it shows the 400 gal water tank as well as the fuel tank. Follow the tank from the top down until it has a sort of extra tank welded onto it at the back. You can see what I mean cause it looks like part of the tank itself but it is a 120 gal fuel tank. The problem with this is after many years and getting hit with logs while loading (long logs) it tends to cave in that part of the tank. What happens is because the water tank is under pressure ( usually 12 lbs) the wall between the fuel /water tank develops cracks inside because the baffles are welded between the two and the air pressure will actually force water into the fuel tank This becomes a major problem because the fuel tank has to be cut open and welded. For a normal shop out here what they do is cut the whole fuel tank off and make a new one and make it independant of the water tank so it cant happen again . This does not happen all that much but remember these trucks have had a severe service life for over 35 years. The last Hayes was built 35 years ago and there is lots of 1960's and 1970's Hayes's still doing their duty in the bush. The trucks Hayesno1 has in his last postings would be about 1969-1972 models so you can see where metal fatigue would set in. If this post confuses you let me know and we can explain this a little further OK
Pics show Dave Mills HDX unit #6 heading down a side road to Bamfield Main -. just a few miles North of Bamfield. My GMC truck is parked at left. At 2nd. picture you can see steam when cooling breaks
Thanks guys. I had figured the fuel tank as well, but didn't know/expect them to share a common wall. I can imagine that there would be some serious problems when the fuel and water mix. For the brake cooling, is it just a spray system? does that mean you fill the water tank daily, just like the fuel, or is it some kind of closed loop? I know, I am full of questions. These sure were well built trucks. It is a shame that their limited market and the long life contributed to the makers demise. It seems just now that similar trucks are making a comeback of sorts in the mining industry. Western Star, KW, and the Haulmax are all making trucks with the heavy specs these Hayes had. If they had maybe broadened their horizons, maybe they could still be around today?
It is not closed loop system. When following those mighty queens you will see a wet track behind them. I will find some pics - scan and post them. HDX knows how often you have to fill the water tank. I guess it somehow depends on road and driver.
Dave Mills bought this#6 truck from Truesdale's over in Sechelt a few years back. The water system is filled at least once a day depending on how steep the hills are and how many trips you make per shift If the haul you are on is steep then you water up EVERY trip if its not too steep then you dont use as much water so you can maybe haul for a couple trips before watering up. The 12 lbs of air in the water tank is what actually pushes the water flow to the trailer. 3/8ths water pipe to each wheel and the water spout is usually mounted at the 10:00 -2:00 position so the water will flow over the drum as the wheels are turning When coming down a steep hill with 100Tons or more of logs the water on the drums cause's steam and you can tell how you are driving by watching the steam--Too little steam and you are going too slow and too much steam and maybe your going too fast its like a formula so to speak The weights we are playing with are unreal The truck and trailer empty weighs 40 tons --then add 100-120 tons of logs and then a 32 percent grade and it gets interesting Hayesno1 can maybe show you the water spouts. OH by the way its easy to break a drum using your water wrong. We have 8 brakes 4 truck 4 trailer the brake size is truck 7x20 and trailer is 8x20 most highway trucks up here have 12 brakes 6 truck 6 trailer and their brake size is 16 1/2x8 5/8 truck and trailer plus they have two front brakes on the steering axle that are 16 1/2 x 5 now this is on a typical tri-axle logging truck and tridem log trailer so this gives you kind of a picture of how much more brakes the average highway truck versus off highway trucks and the most tri -tri log trucks can haul legaly 55,000KGs over the scales For off highway we dont have scales you figure the weight by log scale in meters so for most part 1 meter= 1 ton
When in steep country you could be filling the tank every trip and still be careful not to over use it. You always want to see steam when you have the water on or else there is a problem with that line/brake, ie brake not working right or a damaged water nozzle. What was great fun when hauling on roads that the public could access was to keep the brakes a tad warm, then when meeting the tourist run somewater to get steam showing everywhere and make a face like you couldn't stop! People would stop and run or try backing up real fast, they new that they wern't to be on the roads during work days.
Hey HDX, what year did Hayes start putting the lip on the doors? the little piece that you rest your arm on when the window is down, was it 73 or 74 ? And good detail on the water system, now if we could show them 32% grade!
What a animal these trucks are! They need them on the golden road up here in maine!
OK, I get it. With the water, you are spraying the outside of the drums to keep them cool. What kind of shoe life would they get in those conditions? I am duly impressed with these trucks. I run 35 and 40 ton articulated trucks, and have run on 40% grades, but not at speed for miles on end.
Thanks HDX. Here are a few pics of water spouts. And again it's HDXs great WHD that is "responsible" for my shots . pic from cab shows valves with those you can controll water. Sorry GreatwestCam I don't have any pics of 32%
Sorry forgot picture from #26 cab. From left side of Pumpkins cab
Greatwestcam 1973. You see a lot of older Hayes's with these doors now because whenever one of these trucks was scrapped or somebody changed the cab--ie swapped for a P16 cab the doors were always a prize. Some outfits tried to add their own stiffner to the old doors and it would work but the original was best Hayes only put them on cause as you know the door would start to crack right at the butterfly window then it would always squeek Actually the doors were the secret to saving the Cab -when the dovetails in the door jam would wear out or fall off cause the driver was beating the crap out of the truck if you didnt replace them right away the cab would sure as hell start to crack and split in the top door openings front and back I think you seen as many as me do this. As for 32% grade well you know its about there when you break over a hill and cant see the road anymore cause it dropped right off the face of the earth and a 45lb brake application does very little. OH then add snow and a little ice and NO WATER and no grader HaHaHa
Hayesno1's picture #78 shows a typical off highway "Water Tree" that is what we call them You can see in the picture looking down on it there is two taps and a funny lookin handle with rubber on it. OK the taps regulate the water flow to the brakes. If you are new to a truck you ALWAYS check your water flow believe me YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT- so you would turn these taps off. Then set the air pressure to the water tank at 12 lbs no more or very little more because these are not air tanks and it is easy to blow the tank open at the seams if you use too much air pressure. OK there is two taps there one for truck and one for trailer so you would start by opening the truck tap and watching your water flow on the truck drums when you think its where you want it leave it and go to the trailer tap Do the same thing here only you gotta do a lot of running back and forth. When you have both these taps set to the flow you want dont touch them again. When you start down the hill loaded all you do is reach down and flick that handle with the rubber on ahead --this turns the water on to your brakes. This truck still has an original "Saunders Valve" (that is what that handle is called) All offhighway trucks have these water trees and some highway trucks equipped with small water tanks have a similar water system on them. In the winter we cant use water because the entire system will freeze up in no time.You can see a brass thing on top of the system there with a black button that is a "blowdown valve" it is used to blow all the water out of the water lines after you use them in the winter or if you think it will freeze overnite this stops water from freezing in the lines I dont want to overwhelm or bore some of you guys with this so I will stop here OK
Great education. Keep it up. I am taking it all in.
Some of PacificEd,s pics of 1965 Hayes HDX model sn#5032738 with Madill 009 spar. Owner Van West Pole. From new truck went to MacMillan Bloedel's Sproat Lake Division as unit H-11. I was told this summer truck is still parked somewhere in the bush.
Hayesno1 was sold by Bailif and went down Lake Cowichan way havent seen her for some years can track it down for you though
What was the standard wheel base of a HDX-1000? Were they different between a conventional and self loading types?
I am pretty sure "HDX" knows standard wheelbase. Most HDX I have seen had 225" wheelbase but I have seen advertisement for HDX with 224" and 230". In brochure for HDX it says wheelbase is optional. I have posted a few pics. Malispina truck has a longer wheelbase compare to Dave Mills and old Coulssons truck. The Van West HDX spar truck looks like it got a longer wb and frame when converted to spar truck.
Might as well add these while I'm scanning old mags. If only they new how long they would still be going:thumbsup
Here are 2 pics I got from HDX yesterday. Pics were shot last week at Sarita. It is Dave Mills truck #7 a HDX from 1975. It was M&B unit H34. The last conventional built and went to the QCIs when new. 3 weeks later H17 preloader came off the assy line and the doors were closed forever. Trackloader you must be happy to see her still going strong Thanks HDX.
I know HDX is not one to blow his own metaphorical horn so I'll put in a good word about an excellent article written in TRUCKING magazine's August 2010 issue about him, his H17, his raven friend and Hayes trucks in general. Back issues of this magazine are available for an extremely good price from: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/cars-motors/trucking-magazine-back-issues/ .
Thanks for those scans of old Hayes ads. It reminds of back when everything was ALL RIGHT in B.C., before Weyerhaeuser and Gord Campbell took the wrecking tools to the forest industry and loggers had to become miners and oilmen to survive.
Another Dave Mill truck - unit #4 with lowbed at Sarita. I shot pics this summer.
Always happy to see old friends!
Here is an ad for Hayes Clipper 100 model.
Re. Clipper ad. Here are some pictures of old "Lipper" waiting to be restored. Clipper model was introduced 1953. Compare to other truck makers cab at that time the Clipper cab was very wide - 78". Most cabs were 60" to 72" wide.
Hayesno1 That old "Lipper" was bought new by Tri-West Transport and when traded in was bought by M&B and went to their Nanaimo River Division and was numbered H54 and when her hauling days were done she along with some of her sister trucks had big water tanks put on them and they became FireTankers That is why you can still see her Fire Tanker # on the drivers door F147 As you know when they hauled logs they had an "H" for Hauling Department and when they were transfered to the Fire Dept they were given new #s with an F for fire dept. It was all an accounting thing for the books I know she looks to be in awful condition but with a little work she could be made to look very nice. After all she still runs and we drive her around --not very far but she still goes to the McLeans Mill Show every year under her own steam so she still has heart!!!
Some of the trucks were transferred to the "jarding" dept. and got "J" numbers, too. :tong Never could figure that one out. Same as drills with their "N" numbers.
Buddie's clipper Funny how these old girls end up as water trucks, Here is Stewarts 69 clipper as a water hauler. thanks for the pic's Jim.
Here is another Hayes that got a second life as water/fire truck. It's an old 1959 HDX #sn: 9031973. Water box is droped over bunk box. Look at right door, it has square window corners - properly original door compare to left door - newer style as that got rounded window corners at front. First 4 pics were shot summer 2005 North of Campbell River. Last picture with tank removed was shot this summer.
nice pics. were any of the trucks 6 wheel drive?
Hayesno1 That old girl is almost back home. We both know where she is now and she went to Lake Cowichan new to Alfred Nelson in April /59 was hauling for Hillcrest Lumber Company. GM 6110 engine with 46-40 rears 5&4 trans was Pasture Yellow. That is another strange color Guess when mixing the paint if it came out a different shade they renamed it. Lots of Petrol Yellow in the 40s and School Bus Yellow in the 50s and in the 60s it became Apache Yellow This was almost the perfect Yellow for Logging Trucks
One of my earliest memmories of the Port Alberni area was the loaded HDX's that ran near my childhood home out near Sproat Lake - back in the '60s. This was before the changeover that M & B did to the Red & White. I remember the trucks being overall yellow with the dark green hood. The trucks might still have had the MacMillan Bloedel and Powell River Company logo still on the doors.
Jackd Was talking to Alec Spencer the other day speaking of old drivers from Sproat. See Alvin Roth from time to time As with all oldtimmers --their ranks are getting thinned out But the Trucks of yesterday still linger in our memories dont they--PM me and I will put you onto some good pics of the very trucks you speak of OK
Thanks a few were 6 wheel drives - here a picture of a 6x6 HD 31-48 model from 1968. #sn8083467. It was for sale few years. Pic is from ad. I don't know present owner/status.
HDX; thanks for great info/history as allways. By the way was "Lipper" a 4x2 or 6x4 when new?
She was a 6X4 with a 200 cummins and a 5&3 trans with 4600 rear ends.This was almost the end of the 4600s and the new 46-40s were coming on strong. Reason M&B bought it was because of the components Same as their HD Hayes's at Nanaimo River Division. They had a wreck with an old KW and needed a truck to replace it and the "Lipper" had just been traded in at Curley Browns at Cassidy so M&B bought her These NR trucks had 11:00X22 rubber and 10 foot logging bunks on them because they were hauling to the Nanaimo River reload where the loads of logs were lifted off the trucks and put on skeleton cars (logging train) All these HD Hayes's there had Rolls Royce 6 cyl engines
HDX - did you get my PM last night? I'm curious to see what old shots you've got.
Dont know if you guys know it or not but Brad Hatton over at Coast PowerTrain in New West (Vancouver) just got an order of Hayes Mudflaps 24X30 with HAYES and the bear and the smaller ones with just the bear 14X20. The 24X30 are 1/2 inch thick like the original Hayes Flaps back when Firestone made them in 1970. The later ones 1972 and newer were very light and had a habit of flopping around whereas the originals were anti sail
HDX; re mudflaps I found this old HDX truck - I am pretty sure you know her very well. I have not seen her since 2005. But what I found very interesting is the right mudflap - this must be an old original mudflap
Hayesno1 I will dig out some pics of the Hayes series of mudflaps if I get a chance this weekend Those ones were the much sought after ones with HAYES and on the bottom was CAUTION
Hayes HD dump truck ad from 1954. I will post some pics of dump truck in the logging industry in near future
A. Wood Bulldozings old HD Hayes from ca. 1960. "Hazel" has #14.
Pics of off highway HD Hayes sn#4050. It was shortly owned by Jim Falconer and then sold. In background of 1st pic you can see another HD. Jim owned that as well. I took pics in Holberg, summer 2005. Present owner is John Foster, Port McNeill. The fenders have been modified on both trucks. Front tires are massive 14x25.
John Fosters other HD dump truck
Pics of HDX parked outside Cameron Div. summer 2010. At right door it says Freill Lake Logging - truck No.2. Present owner unknown
I think this might be part of HC's truck's HDX will know? or is it maybe Jacobson's
Hayeslogtruck She belongs to Mike Ryles of central Island Excavating. When parked there she had Trans trouble 59-60 so you know BIG BUCKS. Dont know where she is right now though
Some close up pics of Hayes "H17" preload system - you can see the half moon shaped piece which lifts the trailer loaded or empty and on each side of frame rails you can see the side rams which take over to lift the 5th wheel assy. up.
Thanks again for the details guys. Looks like this guy needs to have some work done. I see a broken slack adjuster. I don't think I would want to come down those hills missing any braking ability.
JDOFMEMI Where exactly is the "broken slack sdjuster??? Funny I have driven this truck for too long and never noticed it and yet you scope out a photo and see it WOW Please point this flaw out!!!! We set our own brakes up on these trucks so we are responsible for them. Please tell me what is wrong with the offending brake and which one it is OK
slack adjuster maybe just the pic, but looks like r.front trailer slack is at an angle, as if it came off the end of the s-cam brent
JDOFMEMI Is it the slack adjuster on the front axle that is very visable??? I think that what is throwing you off is the grease between the slack adjuster and the cam shaft. As you know there is 5 grease fittings on evey brake on these trailers-One on the slack adjuster itself and one on the cam shaft bracket right beside it and one inside the drum beside the "S" the works the brake shoes and one on each anchor pin. As well as setting up our own brakes we also grease the truck and trailer ourselves.As it works out every day you grease but not the entire truck so it works out that the truck gets greased every week.Some things like brakes and steering and driveshafts will get greased more often than say stake hinge pins or hydralic ram tailholds and other little use points. Hope this helps
Maybe it is the combination of the grease and the shadows, but it still looks to me like the front right slack adjuster is sitting at an angle to the shaft it sits on. I am sure you would have seen it in person if it truly is, so it is probably just the picture making it look that way.
Wait Wait you guys Maybe we can get Hayesno1 to post a close up photo of this assy on the axle. We have type 50 roto chambers on the front axle and type 36 maxi brakes on the rear axle. The booster brackets are mounted on the backside of each axle pointing up on a 45 degree angle. On some trailers they are mounted flat sticking straight out toward the truck so it is easy to see where you can get blindsided by looking at this and seeing what looks like the booster bracket broken off when in fact what happened was after sitting overnite or over a weekend the air bleeds off and of coarse the brake will go into the relaxed position(off) on the front axle only because the rear axle has Maxi brakes on it and needs air to release them Look at posting #35 the second pic of truck #T0721 and look at the trailer brake there also posting #85 third pic truck # 25 and I think you will see the same thing Hope this helps a little
OH by the way Happy Thanksgiving down there you guys
It does. I see the angle toward the axle tube like the brakes are completely released. You explained that by not having maxi's on the front axle. The arm still looks cockeyed on the shaft, but I am resigned to accept it is the combination of shadows in the picture, and the grease spot. Do you run the larger chambers on the front axle to put more braking on the lead axle in order to balance out the weight transfer going down the steep hills?
Yes Jerry. There is some steep hills that you actually have to slack the rear axle brakes off a little more because they will lock up and drag, This screws up the road because the locked up brakes drag the loose gravel down the hill with you and leaves two trench's and really screws up the road for the next guy coming down behind you. This is especially bad on steep switchbacks. It is just a totally different type of driving. If you go on YouTube and type in Logging Truck Drivers Part 2 you will see some action with this truck
HDX I watched those videos a long while back, then again a couple of days ago. They are very well done. This now gets me wondering, what size chambers are on the truck? and are they the same size on each axle? I would expect the truck to have both the same, since the power divider would likely be locked in the steep stuff, and that would prevent lock up on the rear axle, unless things are out of balance side to side, and then one axle could still lock on one side only, but that I think would be rare.
The truck brakes are 7X20 Standard 91,000lb Clark Axles and have type 36 Maxi Boosters (all 4 wheels) where the trailers have 60 ton Kay Brunner axles with 8X20 brake shoes with Type 50 Roto Chambers on the front axle and type 36 Maxi on the rear We dont have Power dividers in the 91,000diffs but some trucks up in this country have "lockers" in one --usually the front diff but if you put them in both diffs you cant steer when pulling adverse because the truck has a habit of going straight ahead so you are always "feathering the throttle" to get her to come around. This system also will just scuff the front tires right off the truck in a short period of time. We dont use then anymore because of the cost and what you get in return, Now we just get another truck or a D8 cat to pull you if you power out on a uphill pull.
OK. I understand the locker issue. They also create a possibility of broken axle shafts on stuff I have been around, due to the ability to load 100% torque to only one shaft, instead of equal torque loading through an open differential. I have experienced the scrubbing pulling lowboys up steep grades on pavement, and the feathering to get it to come around, but not so much you power out. On the highway truck, we can slide the 5th wheel back for more drive traction, at a cost to the steering ability. I have been on 26% grade with 120,000, slipping the tires on pavement with the front wheels either off the ground, or nearly there, and just hoping to make it over the top, only to have to feather out to round a corner at the top. With nothing to pull with within many hours drive, it can get hair raising. I still wish that Hayes would have diversified a bit and maybe they could have survived. Its hard to find a better truck from what I can see.
Jerry It was a sign of the times In 1969 Mack bought controlling interest in Hayes and kept it till June 1974 and then sold controlling interest to PacCar who just happens to own Kenworth and Peterbilt as well as many other companies and it was the Gearmatic side of PacCar that shut Hayes down!!! Sad day up here when that happened The truck in the photos above was the LAST truck built by Hayes --after she came out the doors they were closed forever. When new she was sold to MacMillan&Bloedel up here and was painted red and white as unit# H17 M&B was taken over by Weyerheauser in 1999 and then we were sold off to a contractor HFS-- after that and they became steeped in problems and in 2008 we were sold again to another contractor up her called Island Pacific Logging--really good outfit and that is who owns old H17 now--always managed to keep her number the same though HFS renumbered her T1051 but after some fast talking they changed the number to T0017 I have been very lucky because I got her new and still drive her everyday!!!!
Its great that you still get to have such a good seat through all of the ups and downs over the years. I was thinking there were a lot of similarities to some KW heavy trucks I have been around. Now that you explained the history it makes sense. The current trucks are distant cousins to these classics. Here are 3 generations of the newer ones. Not a great picture by any means, but it was all I could find. These a very similar build, and I am pretty sure have the 91,000 rears. They have the allison auto, but with power from a big 6 cyl. The newest one on the left has a C-15 Cat at 450 HP. Not sure on the others.
JDOFMEMI This sounds like we should start a Kenworth Thread Maybe 848--849--850 and similar huge KW's even the ones that went to Saudi Arabia years ago. The forest industry up here saw more than its share of those trucks up here Built in the factory in Burnaby BC (Vancouver) what do you think???
Sounds good. I had more pictures of these, but they were lost a few years back. I do know where they live and work, so I can get more info on them. I would love to see what you have.
Emailed to me this morning. No idea where or when it was taken.
Some close up pics - I can more if you like Nice pic Contractlogger
HDX; remember her - I just found the picture. Pic was shot at Cameron Div. 2005 before you started restoring her back to Elk River #26 This is a Hayes WHD.
Pics of Holbrook Dyson Logging HDX. This is the only Hayes truck they got and they use her as lowbed truck.
I'm late to the party I know, but couldn't help but have a bunch of numbers flash through my mind upon reading the above post. Funny how an old parts guy thinks. For example, brake lining on the 91,000 Clark are 4630-D to me, and on the 60 ton KB trailer they are 4350-D. And I don't recall using the Type 50 Rotos on trailers much, normally type 36 on the truck and type 30 on the trailer, but then I didn't see every truck around either. I'm still amazed at the history some of you guys have as well as the collections of photos. Thanks again for sharing both. Oh, I also dug the note of Gary Kershaw as a race driver. I watched him many times back in the day and he was a good one for sure. Funny how just a name conjures up all kinds of memories sometimes. Take care.
Hey Guys! I've been watching this thread for awhile now and it brings back some memories. My dad worked at the Vancouver plant until the day it closed. I used to spend a lot of time down there as a kid of about 8 or 9 years old. I have been searching through all my pictures and found these. There are more to come as I find them as well as get all the pictures and brochures and such from my dad but it's a start. Sorry for the quality, I cleaned them up the best I could. I wish I could tell you some details on either of these trucks but considering it was about 35+ years ago, I have a bit of an excuse I guess. As I round up the others I will post them. I know I have quite a few pics of the special built HDX trucks that went to I believe Argentina to move power plant components. Thanks everyone! Jeff
Homestead Keep postin We are waiting--The two WHDXs that went to Spain are the ones you are thinking of S/N 6993 and 6994 left the factory May 1975 sold to Transportes Arbegui in Balbao Madrid. Both trucks are maintained in very high standards and still both working . One of them has had the cab raised about 4 inches and some other cosmetics done but otherwise both are in really good hands Kept painted and very spiffy Welcome to the site
Dave Had to laugh yes ABEX HDL 4630-D Did you get into the big dilemma in the 80s when everybody had to go to other brake lining?? Green Gripper and that other stuff Grant Young was selling CM95-125 or some goofy number like that. We all ended up with Anti Lock brakes cause there was no way we could stop those HDXs and P16s on any of the hills every trip was a controlled runaway When we had the asbestos brakes it was great but when Industry got away from that it was a disaster and then we couldnt get brake drums cause I think it was DuraMetal quit making them and we ended up with Rimmex casting drums as well as Promac. Sure glad thats over with but now brake drums are very hard to get again, We have a couple trucks with SPR rear ends and the last drum we got was about 900 bucks and now they are all gone any new ones now will be over 2,000 each. The day of the big Queens is fast coming to an end. It will be parts that do them in. We can talk brakes sometime OK
Dennis Dystant HDX - Gold River TLT HDX Lowbed - Jackson Bay TLT HDX Gravel - Jackson Bay Holbrook Dyson HDX - Vernon Camp HDX Lowbed - Sayward
Tyyota The Ted Leroy Low Bed truck (Class 0f 69) was an ex BCFP Preload and is now for sale in Alberta and the Ted Leroy Dump truck HDX is now sitting down in the Sarita Shop yard.
Hey Steve, I've been lurking around here for a while - looking at everybodys pics, thought it was about time I contributed some of my own. Thanks for putting me onto this site at the McLean Mill Show.
Welcome aboard Tyler. Great site Great guys and lots of history!!! Dig out the Old pictures cause everbody loves them
I remember the big change-over from asbestos lining to the new stuff for sure. I was the Warehouseman/Buyer for BCFP at Renfrew from 1977 until 1984 when I got picked off in a weird way. It was during that period all that went down. I dealt a lot with Bill Block and Jim Dawes both when they were at Peterbilt Truck Sales and later with Island Mack Truck Sales and between those guys, the guys at Industrial Frictions and Supplies and those at another place....Morgan Brake and Clutch???.....damn old age......there was a lot of trying out of different types of lining. I recall we used Big Blue for some time on the logging trucks but we tried all kinds of stuff, even though it's nearly impossible to have a truly objective comparison between linings. Lots of safety related things happened around that time. We had to buy and install a huge air circulation/evacuator type thing in the welding shop for one. I often thought about the number of friction bands off yarders that had been re-lined by hand over the years of logging here in BC before asbestos became the big ogre. I did a few in my time using 2010 moulded and 2010 woven friction material. Nobody thought much about it, you just did it if you could. Back to numbers etc, as I recall the brake drums on the trucks were 2021B usually while those on the KB trailers were 2009B. I recall a few of the Clark numbers for planetary parts too, as well as some Bendix-Westinghouse numbers for slack adjusters and some valves.....which I've seen mistaken for Clark numbers once or twice. Not a lot of use talking trucks and equipment with me really as I'm not much of a mechanically oriented person despite my line of work for many years. I didn't operate anything other than forklifts, HIABS and overhead cranes nor did I pull wrenches on anything either. I was a capable decipherer of parts books, had decent communication skills and could make things happen when required, but I'm no good at chatting about specifics on machinery. I could make a mean hose for you on our Cat press though, XT3 or XT5? I've sat and listened while guys like Tom Turner and ...say.... Doug Foreman talk trucks and they are simply miles more knowledgeable than I am. As a Warehouseman/Buyer in a logging camp you learn a little bit about a lot of things but don't necessarily become an expert on anything. I was fortunate to have started in the logging end in 1969 at Gold River and learned a lot from old Ed Johnson, the Master Mechanic when I started. In addition we had a Blacksmith there so I learned a bit about that too. Reg Pidcock was the Machinist and there were a couple of older Mechanics so it was a good place to learn from some oldtimers. I knew and worked with some pretty good mechanics at other places over the years and learned some things from a few of them as well. Sure wish I'd taken notes or kept a journal back then......or even taken one picture. All I have left is a chrome Hayes hood ornament, a brass Hayes fuel cap and a BCFP vest and t-shirt. The t-shirt is one of the ones where they have the driver on the left side instead of the right side in the pic on the shirt. Apparently nobody realized the transfer would be reversed when they ran off the shirts. It was quite funny at the time. Anyway, gotta go now as my Lovebirds need some exercise so I'm going to let them out and chase them around for a bit. Take care.
Yes Bill and Tom Shore and Jim Dawes Old Hayes guys Really a lot of history with those guys Tom Turner was and still is one of the best go to guys in the business. I phone and BS with him when ever I get the chance. Was a very sad day when C.R.Alltrucks closed their doors. Of the original Hayes people there isnt very many left now. Havent seen Bill for some time now because he retired. Did you deal with John over at Quality Trimmers in Vancouver? He was the guy and still is that made the interior headliners for HAYES and Pacific. When im restoring a Hayes I always phone him and get him to make the interior kit cause its done right and fits every time. Remember the firewall panels that use to snap onto the front of the cab on the engine side PN1245A He still makes them. We could go on for days with this but its neat!!!
Welcome Tyler to this great site. I knew it was you when I saw Hayes and KW pics keep posting
nice pics keep the coming
Will be posting some pics of Hayes loggers soon.
Dystant Hayes Here's a couple of photos I took of some of Dennis Dystant's Hayes loggers in Campbell River in March 2009. Apparently these trucks had just come out of Toba Inlet shortly before the photos were taken and were being put up for sale. .
Pics of different MB trucks that have found new owners. All are still excisting but in different condition.
What company used the black hayes?
Hayes Forest Services owned # 1145 when I found it and photographed it in 2006. It was sitting in their yard in Duncan at the time. It is actually a dark metallic green color and was unique as the only one I've even seen that color. It ran a Cat 3408 with chrome valve covers and has been rebuilt with a Pacific cab. I am unsure of where Hayesno1's picture was taken.
PacificEd That picture was taken inside the old Cameron Div shop before HFP exited the building. That 3408 is the one HFS took out of H17 when they installed the C15. That truck was originally a Justkatla Truck came from the QCIs when they were swinging over to highway trucks and 4 of them became surplus H44 H147 H149 and H271 although H271 was a Copper Canyon truck originally it went to the QCIs and then back to Franklin River Division That H149 went down to Duncan to the HFS Shop for rebuild just about the time the bottom fell out of everything and it was sold Think it went south WAY South H44 went to Lamar Lake Logging in Pt McNeil H147 was destroyed in a fatal accident and H271 also went to LLL.
Hey guys. This may sound strange to those of you who have worked around them but what is the difference between a pre loader and a traditional log trailer? Do the pre loaders attach to a fifth wheel?
HCF; Yes preloaders got some kind of a 5th wheel see posted pics of H17. Last pic shows an old preload trailer. You can see pin that are "hooked" to 5th wheel
HCF, Some pics of standard logging truck configuration. Truck is an HDX model owned by LLL. I hope by looking at posted pictures you can see the difference
@Hayesno1 Thanks for the pics. The pre-loaders are a new thing for me. It seems like a really great way to run a quick change lowboy all the time hauling wood. The traditional trailers I am assuming are a lot like the hi way rigs we run here in Oregon. Attach with a pintle hitch and you can adjust your length with the reach. I have been really interested in these since my family and I went up to VI for vacation in '02. We were up around Campbell river maybe? Anyways I was fascinated by the size of these rigs and the amount of wood they can haul. Thanks for the great pics and the explination.
HCF; Thanks, well I did not much of explanation but sometimes pics say more Anyway "hayeslogtruck" explained it before; see link to Challenger truck
Here are some pics of HD Hayes with an old low bed trailer, summer 2005. I am not sure if truck is around anymore. HDX might know.
Hayes in Winter time - Merry Christmas to all Merry Christmas to all of you - Some pics of Hayes in snow - sorry no logging trucks - pic 1&2 show 2 WHD ex coal trucks parked in Nothern BC. Next 2 pics shows 1973 HD dump truck ex bed truck. 5th pic shows HD chassis from 1966
More Hayes in the snow Oops green HD bed truck came in to early, sorry a few more pics - more Christmas wishes and Happy New Year - Green bed truck I dont have any details on except I took pics of her when I worked ín FSJ 2007/08. Brown Hayes HD is a 1974 dump truck also from FSJ, she is kept for reserve.
Hey guys, i'm a newbie here on forestry. I look at some of these Hayes and Pacific trucks, and i can't help but think of the possibilities. What kind of loads are these units rated for, and what do they go for in the used market?
Thanks for the answer, I'd say it was unique.
I'm not a total expert, but I know some things, but over 100,000 pounds easy, check out the Vancouver Island logging photos for some more loads
I found this ol' girl alive and well and still working
Model 20-19, don't know what year it is, guessing in the fifties?
Some more of the 20-19
That truck has been in their family since new. Probably the best original example of that series truck still around. Was built from 1948-1951 The drivers door was reskinned and thats why the paint is peeling off. Only thing updated is the mirror brackets and mirrors and the high stakes on truck and trailer
Nice to see that old girl is still around, last time I saw it was on Texada Island back around 1985. here's a pic that I took then.
Here's BCFP's #233 Hayes. I think it is the first load she hauled . Not sure what year this would be ,maybe someone know who the driver is ?
That is an incredible picture--Driver is Don Yates These guys were real class. Don is still around and a real Gentleman. When Don got off this truck another really great guy got it his name was Roy Schultz (Sarge) We hauled against these guys out in the NitNat Area of operations. If you post this picture on the BCFP thread I will fill you in on some of the history OK Well Done with this pic
Aliford Bay Logging Hayes HDX line horse truck. Last seen summer 2010.
Hayes WHD dump truck from Port Alberni area. Well it looks like a WHD model - (40" wide frame) but "HDX" you know for sure!
Hayesno1 No sorry that one is just an HD 34 in frame. Ex Parker Bros truck Jim Falconer has the sister truck to this one. Havent seen this one around for a while. Think she is parked at Larrys place
HDX, thanks for correcting me. Here are a few pics of 2 different HD dump trucks. Both got smaller rads compare to Hayes HD I just posted. Yellow Hayes is one of Jim Falconers Hayes, but not sister truck I just posted picture of. I got pics of her. I just have to find them .
Well a quick search and I found some pics of Jim Falconers HD sister truck to ex. Parker Bros truck. Nice clean truck.
Here is somewhat of an interesting aritcle from the internet. I just copy and pasted it, I figured it should go on this thread. Hayes Were Pioneer Logging Truck Builders The heritage of the Hayes family in BC's forest industry goes back much further than 1956 when Donald and Harriet Hayes started logging on Vancouver Island. It stretches back to 1925 when Douglas Hayes-Donald's father and the grandfather of the company's current Hayes Forest management team-was first involved in a truck manufacturing company. Hayes was in the parts business in Vancouver and it was a natural progression from there to assembling trucks. Over the next several decades, Hayes broke new ground in West Coast truck logging, manufacturing heavy trucks for the tough coastal logging roads, and the Hayes truck became a regular feature of the coastal logging scene in BC. From 1952 on, the company was known as Hayes Trucks until Mack Trucks bought it out in 1969. The last one was built in 1975, but the role the trucks played in the pioneering days of truck logging is a fascinating look at how far the industry has come and the hard work it took to get there. Hayes trucks were built to fill a void in the type of logging truck being used in the woods in the pioneering years of truck logging. These early trucks had a bunk and trailer system surprisingly similar to what you see today. The difference was that before Douglas Hayes adapted a rotating bunk to Hayes trucks-which allowed the trailer to track in the path of the truck-logging trucks were equipped with rub irons that could make hauling logs frustrating and dangerous. "You had skid plates under the bunk so you had steel to steel but when you went around a real sharp corner you'd get bunkbound," explains Steve Drybrough, who restores Hayes logging trucks on Vancouver Island and has been driving logging trucks for 31 years. "The trailer would drop off the rub iron then you'd have a hell of a time getting it back on. A turntable system eliminated most of the bunk-bound." The rotating bunk was an innovation at the time and is still the basis on which logging trucks operate. Such innovations were light years ahead of truck logging operations in the 1920s and 1930s, when three- and five-tonne trucks were used in rugged coastal conditions to haul logs. Fred Meier, who lives in Campbell River, BC and whose passion is old logging trucks, used to drive some of those trucks and has lots of stories about brakes and some of the hills. "They had two guys driving the truck, one of them running the brake handle and the other one drove the truck," he recounts. "If you took a right hand turn, it slackened the brake off and when it turned to the left, it tightened the brake up. So this guy running the brake was forever tightening when we were on a right hand turn and loosening like crazy when we were doing a left hand turn." The drivers got used to it but Meier remembers the close calls. "I had the odd runaway but we had spots where if we had a problem, we'd bank the truck off into a bluff or a ditch or onto the runaway spur," he says. Some of the early logging trucks only had about 65 horsepower. If you had 130 horsepower, you had big power. These days, with truckers facing longer haul distances out in the bush, there has been a push on for more power. Power has gone from 430 horsepower to an average of 550 to 600 hp.
Some HDX pictures. Red HDX with huge wide trailer was shot in Nothern BC. The rest were shot on Vancouver Island. Timbermill (red and green truck), red and white is old MB truck #H154. Yellow is Dave Mill truck
A few Hayes HD dump trucks and one modern HD water truck running for LLL. Last 2 pics of retired HDX logging truck
I'm the owner of the Steele Rock trucks you have pictures of and can answer some of the questions you have about them
Heres a old picture of BCPF's #205 sitting in service bay. Picture taken in one of three places Pot Renfew ,Caycuse or Harris Creek . HDX or Hayesno1 maybe you could tell me the year of this one please .
Born2clearcut; Wow another great picture - year is 1954 or (1955). HDX will definitely know and where picture was taken as well.
Steele Rock; Welcome on board this great site. Very nice trucks you got. I was very impressed how well maintained your trucks are. Please any information will be welcomed. If you got serial # we ("HDX") can ad some information who got them from new. What kind of engines, rears have our interest as well. Do you own other off highway trucks beside those 3 HDX I took pictures of last summer?
I have a little bit of history on the trucks #2 was purchased from Bill Neil in 1986 he was out of Victoria area, Steele Rock has owned it since. It has 12V71T/A, RTOO13 speed trans (originally an Allison), 91,000lb clarke diffs (front diff is a posi torque), bunk rigging is Columbia truck and trailer which is a 60 ton Hayes, water tank is Hayes modified a bit beefier as you can see.The steering resevoir was mounted on the cab when I bought it off Bill.This truck is in very good shape the rear suspension was just done on it new trunion shafts ect. we spared no exspense. #4 was bought off Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo in late 80's it is one that was remanufactured by them down to the frame or so they say.The plaque on the dash says ww contracting had the work done not sure but might have been Grahame out of Sooke.Anyways thats why the flat fenders and square headlights, 12V71,Allison trans, 91,000lb Clarkes (posi-torque in front also), 60 ton Hayes trailer. Both these trucks 2 and 4 are both 1970's #4 was remaned in 1984. #7 is a 1965 it's been butchered and hacked by Inland Kenworth it has a Kenworth rear suspension(Ithink it was originally a 4640 truck) and now has 91's with the Kenworth suspension. The chair legs were cut off and the Kenworth stuff bolted on. 12v71, Allison trans, 91's with posi-torque in front, Columbia bunk riggin, 60 ton Columbia trailer newer style, water tank was moved back and a small fuel tank put between cab and water tank (must have developed a crack between fuel and water been down that road myself on #2 but took a different route on the repair).#7 was bought off Butch Carroll who bought off Bob Daines in Gold River I think before that maybe Hayes Forest Prod. Also have a P16 in Gold River hauling for WFP bought off Butch Carroll in 2007. I'll dig up the serial #'s for you and maybe you can find out more about these old girls for me and are you the guy takiing pictures of the trucks coming off the Kokish main in Beaver Cove where gravel meets the pavement if so I'll stop next time and BS you.I'll get back with serial #'s later Thanks Terry
Born2clearcut MOST IMPRESSIVE They keep gettin better That was the grease pit at Caycuse . I think she was almost new when that pic was taken Unit 205 s/n 4081545. Was part of the 8 truck order Steele Rock as Hayesno1 said Welcome Good to see more Hayes guys gettin on here
I'm glad you guys like them after showing my friends and making the kids look at them they been put away for years . Good to see others enjoy looking at them also
Steele Rock Thanks for sharing information re. your trucks. Sorry I am not the guy taking pictures of your trucks. I shot those pictures when I visited BC last summer. I live in Denmark(Europe) - approx. 10.000 km from BC. But for sure I would like to live in BC. When you dig up serial numbers I am pretty sure HDX can ad more info.
Here some pictures of A. Wood Bulldozing HDX dump truck unit #29
Great looking dump truck, I was thinking how nice it would be to have one of those old horses with a dump body. With a tilt trailer with an excavator, behind headed to a job. Would sure make a fellow proud to have nice one and keep it working.
Here's a few pictures of the truck I've been driving since 04. Here I'm doing the pushing Alison sound in 07 Getting ready to Pull in Mackenzie Sound The truck in front is the one I drive. However I was only 8 at the time of this picture. This was in King Island back in 88. Hauling a spruce down to replace the old dump tree. This was just after the truck got out of the shop from a rebuild just after my dad bought it out of Alaska.
Post 173 Hey hayesno1, would you happen to have more photos of the Hayes HDX line truck pictured in post 173? I am looking to model one in 1/87 scale using a Don Mills HDX and this one in Alliford Bay fits the bill. I am interested in any other photos you may have of it, and in particular shots of the deck, winches, operator cab, line feed, etc. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Regards Scott
Welcome aboard scottympm, I am a model builder as well in scale 1/87 (mostly scratch built) - I got a few of Don Mills HDX. Pretty nice model even though fenders are not correct. Well I got several pictures of that line horse truck. Please e-mail me and I will contact you.
Picture #1, 2, 3 are of the truck I drive. picture 4 is of one of our 2 other HDXs. Well one of 3 others, we have one thats a gravel truck that came from TWs Oyster River Div.
Awesome pictures 72HDX! How many wrappers do you have on that second load? Thats quite the boat trailer too!
72HDX Great pics. Please, may I ask - what company/contractor are you working for? Your truck looks like an old BCFP truck, but I might be wrong. Please keep them comming!
I work/am an Olsen. The first truck, my dad got out of Alaska in 88. The other one (#3) my Grandfather (Irvin) Owned since new in 71. My dad bought it off him in 75. We added Hayden coolers to both trucks over the last 4 years. In the last picture, it was taken in 2004 in Fraser Bay. The other 1 of the 3 trucks in the back is the truck I drive, the other 2 are Mack CL350 that were R&N Loggings. They went to Benwest, when Benwest bought the operation.
Found a couple more Pictures This last one is in King Island back in 88 or 89. They were bringing it down to replace the old dump tree.
72HDX - Thanks for sharing information. More great pics again Here are a few pics I shot a few years ago North of Campbell River. Dump truck is HDX 33-80 model from 1963.
I love those old pictures. Thanks
Ex. Lineham Hayes WHD truck
Here is a truck of CE Routh's, a 74 Hayes HDX that he picked up in Alberta, was used in the oil field as it had a 2 speed aux. trans with a power tower on it behind the allision. had a KTA 600 Cummins, 6061 allision and 121 clarks. we took out the a-box and moved the allision back about 2 feet. had the long wheel base and rode very smooth. was a good unit for lowbeding. last heard it got totaled in Security Bay camp, only got these pics when we first got it.
Ya, thats my dad working on the truck. Its parked right now cause the water tank doesn't have the capacity for the haul we're doing. The truck originally had a 8V71 when we bought it. The other one we bought we converted to a gravel truck and also put a natural 12 in.
I have a question, mabey it's been answered already and I have missed it, so don't bite my head off! The water tanks mounted behind the cab, are they for cooling the brakes?
Ya, the tanks are used to cool the brakes. If you go back in this thread to around post 66 I think, they talk about it. I think if you go through it there's even some pictures posted.
^^^ Thanks 72. I didn't start looking at this thread till just a few weeks ago. Guess I flew right past that page Sometimes when it's mostly text and no pics, my short attention span takes me off snowmobiling or fishing somepalce!
GreatwestCam, Interesting pictures and info. Long wheelbase - do you remember how long? I think HDX has told me standard was 225".
72HDX, Is the other Hayes truck -gravel truck - an ex Lineham truck as well? They had a few WHD that were for sale around 2005.
Ya, it was. We got 2. Units 418 and 420. I think they had 3 or 4 for sale.
They had five - 3 others were #408, #410 and #412. I think they all were HD models. Here are pics of them #408
Pics of #410 which is WHD model
Pic of #412 a 1973 HD model
Hayesno1, I dont know in inchs how long, but it had the fuel tank between the cab and water tank (cant see it in pic at all) and with 14 foot bunks when turned there was still about a foot clearance to the water tank. A guess would be about 20-24" longer then standard. Was a little tighter to come around some of the switchbacks then the other trucks. Forshners had one also, unit 113, that was longer, I remember them saying it was 18" more then the other trucks. HDX most likey would know the spec for these units.
GreatwestCam, Thanks anyway - yes I guess HDX can ad some information - it seems some even had a shorter wb than 225". Here are some pices of a Forshner 1974 HDX with extra long wb - maybe this is #113
Hayesno1, good eye! that is the same truck, Forshner's picked up 6 HDX's from Wedeene River, Terrace area when some land claim issues shut down logging in that area in the mid 80s. Forshners kept two Hayes (113 & 114) and a 79 Pacific P 16. Here is a few pic's of thier trucks. 1- has trucks #108, 114, 113. L-R 2 & 3- 113 as how they got it in 85.
Hi You guys sorry to jump in late but was busy doin "stuff" Yes the standard Conventional HDX was a 220 inch wheel base The Pre-loads like H17 with the set forward steering axle were 232 inch wheel base
It sure is enjoyable seeing the pictures and hearing about everything. It is just so amazing to see the size of the loads they were hauling, on steep winding roads. From trucks to machines very enjoy, and thanks to all of you that take time to share pictures and stories.
WFP Hayes HDX logging truck - Gold River - look at fenders - I dont think they were original fenders
Another WFP HDX with odd fenders - Gold River
The hoods and fenders as well as running boards were made in Campbell River at CR Sheetmetal There was quite a number of rebuilt trucks that were given these. The trucks pictured above both still have their original HAYES water tanks on them but with lots of new guarding on them-- their brushguards also have been reworked somewhat Dont know why they always deleted the front air cleaner bracket and siamesed the two together at the rear like above.Oh well they own them so they can fix them up any way they want, At least they are being looked after and used.
HDX; thanks for great info as usual. Oopps; sorry about Hayes wide rad at Challenger Site. Here are pics showing the Hayes HD (line horse truck)with wide rad guard. Rad guard was orange in 2005 and red in 2006. I dont know why it was painted but it's the same rad guard. Pics shot in Gold River 2005 and 2006(EdPacific)
Not sure if anyone is interested but here's a Hayes belt buckle for sale on eaby. Says never been worn but one is always skeptical of these things..... http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayes-Truck-Bel...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5354ce6
Don't need a belt buckle, but I would be interested if someone could find me an 'H' from the front grill of a Hayes truck or the side 'Hayes' ornament from the hood of a logging truck.
2 ex. M&B HDX models - #H278 sander trucks and #H27 as tractor with lowbed #X136. #H27 got some special fenders all most like Pacific P16 fenders
H278 is still around and H27 was sold to Saratoga Ventures some years back I think Joe might have parted her out seem to remember somebody wanting the engine
Was H278 originally a Sproat Lake Division machine?
Yes it was. See post #20 by HDX
I must be asleep. I was all over this thread either side of post #20. I remember H278 when it was still hauling logs back in the '70s.
Took these along the highway into Squamish,B.C. early 90's.Triple C logging
shared photos
Skadill I just about had the BIG ONE here Lets see Truck Loggers Convention 1969-70 Arrow 39 marker lites on the HD roof and the big "H" was the old flat bolt on style and the Hayes script was the 4 screw type. This is great KEEP POSTING Love the M&B HDX Also look at the mirrors on the HD They are the old school "Mirrorflex" type Very classy pics
Allways liked the "Bear" on the side of the door myself. Got a couple belt buckles at the Squamish loggers sports way back when. Almost got a big ash tray/dish with a HDX on it out of Peterbuilt in CR., but didnt make it out the door, they gave us hats instead
Greatwestcam Great picture I will take two one left and one right LOL Hayes never had the Grizzly Bear till 1971 That was when they adopted it for their emblem. They went to the chrome bears in 1971 and all name plates as well as the full bear on the hood of the Clipper 200s. In 1972 they gold plated all those things because that was the 50th anniversary of Hayes then in 1973 they went back to chrome. Lots of guys put the gold stuff on their trucks because they were available or their original ones were stolen and the gold looked really sharp--but 1972 was the only year for the gold. Next year we are going to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Hayes BIG TIME We are going to have all kinds of shows honoring the 90th. If you ever get the chance -look on the bottom edge of a Hayes mudflap and you will see the date 1972 molded right into it The earlier ones were made by Firestone and didnt have the bear just the name Hayes and "Caution" on the bottom They were way heavier also than the later dated mudflaps
HDX that is great info there, I didn't know that about the Grizzly! Very interested in the 90th anniversary gathering for 2012. I have a old copy of Business Logger magazine showing 75th anniversary (do you think you'll make the cover again) looked like a big turn out then! keep us posted early as to when and where it will be.
Will post it all on this site as we go along so that anybody can get in on the fun. For at least a couple of the shows we will get every Hayes we can including the Cumberland Fire Truck ( it was the only Hayes to be run down the assembly line TWICE) and the old Hayes Anderson from the Campbell River Museum plus the two overseas (Vancouver) one is in Chilliwack and one is at the Teamsters Museum. It will be a real tribute to a once great company and the employees that worked there Stay tuned
Resting Hayes Took these in Nov.2010,Dump was ex Whonnock Ind.note the RB auction sticker on the first one,I could only guess that went through auction in the 70's maybe,cant ever recall those stickers.
Hey, I still have a copy of that issue, too! One of us should scan that cover and post it here!
HDX; Great info - and please keep us updated with time/dates. I better start saving money for a trip to BC Canada next year. I wont miss that event. I guess you will get the chain driven Hayes as well?
Hayes 1971 Hayes,taken nov,2010
A few from today in Campbell River
more
Here it is, dont know if they still publish these any more, I have a bunch of the maritime mags also, lots of history!
Tyyota Post #240 Hayesno1 are you paying attention here That Orange and white lowbed truck ex BCFP truck that Tyler just posted is the mystery truck you and I have been wondering about That is the odd ball truck we were kicking around As soon as I saw her I knew and there she is and for sale to boot 32,000 bones with the lowbed MORE PICs Tyler More Pics
Forestech has been teasing us, still no pics there yet.....
Pics of Pringles Hayes logging truck. 3 different models; HD, Clipper 100 and Clipper 200
That truck just came out of Zeballos. It along with the red one were Donny Cox's. I thought he had another one too, but apparently I think everything thats there is it. I'll get some pictures on Monday. Want to look at the lowbed thats behind a KW thats there.
Sorry I'm coming up a little short on more pics. Maybe I can get more today. I swear I recognise that young man in the Hayes T shirt. But where oh where have I seen that face.
I heard that Spirit lake (Don Cox) went belly up in Zeballos any one heard anything?
Ya, them and G.W Cox.
Well that sucks!!! to bad for the crews
Jeez 72HDX All this time and I didnt know Don owned that truck As Hayesno1 said wonder if there was any of her trailers around It is sad whenever ANYBODY goes down because of the ripple effect it has on everybody. We can only hope that everybody lands on their feet when the dust settles.
1970 Hayes Anyone know its story???it was from Jordan River,Vancouver Island,thats all thats known.The sign is one of only 2 originals from the Hayes Factory in Vancouver,took these pics a few hours ago.
It's an ex Canadian Puget Sound truck, that's all I can tell you. HDX! Help!!
She is an ex Rayonier Truck Trakloader They had CPS in the diamond on the doors but I think about this time CPS became Rayonier or the other way around These trucks were delivered under Master Mechanic Hal Fladager There was 6 HDs all spec'd the same NTC335 Cummins engines and 1263A main trans with 8341 aux trans also had SRD rear diffs with 7.54 ratio so they had a top speed of 51 MPH Dont know what the story was on the first truck(Delivered Jan19 1970) but the others came in 2132 2133 Feb 4 1970 2134 2135 Feb 10 1970 and 2136 came Feb 12 1970 They also got 6 P9 Pacifics about the same time. Over time however as with everything else these trucks were reduced to bullcooking One became a line horse and several became fire tankers These were VERY CLASSY trucks in the day Sure would like to get the remains of that truck (and the factory sign) sure is a lot of potential there. OH by the way her serial # is 0033927
#2060 HD in poor shape. Old M&B workhorse #H208 has been saved. Nice truck with a special preload 5th wheel
Thanks, HDX! I knew you'd know what needed to be known! I think Rayonier bought CPS, then WFP got Rayonier. And yes, I think it was right around the time those trucks were new, that big changes were happening. I have a book with that info, somewhere.....
Kind of a thread hi-jack here, but what books are out there which tell the stories of the various companies that logged and the equipment manufacturer's that supported them? Is there a Hayes book anywhere? Madill? I've always wondered and kept my eyes open for something along these lines? Any down in the Pacific Northwest?
HDX, Heck you don't need a book seems you have it all saved in your head. Really enjoy seeing and hearing about the old trucks. Glad you and others can share so much history about them. If I win the lottery I will own one and have it rebuilt to look like it was new. It is hard to see them just rusting away, has to be real hard on everyone that was around them in their hay day.
Ken Drushka wrote a really good one, "Working in the Woods"? Not sure if that was it, or not. It was green, if that helps! It tells what outfit was owned by whom, and when they were bought by somebody else. Doesn't have all of them, of course, but it's still a good book. But you know, I think HDX needs to write a book! Hell, not just A book, a whole encyclopedia!
Poor old HD, it looks like she'd fall apart if you sneezed. Looks like an old Rayonier truck?
That old HD was bought by Niel Ward from Port Alberni only for parts(46-40 rear diffs Engine was siezed to the point that even we would not take it on. Sad but there was so little left on her that was not either bent or rusted beyond help-- pulled the plug on both trannys only to find RED rust even the rad had been damaged by pushing her around Had the old style Browne Lipe aux with the side shift rails (the shifter rods came out the side of tranny instead of the top like the Spicers) Then there was the Cummins manifold cause as you know anybody with an old cummins is always looking for the rear dump style but it was also NFG They ended up cutting her up.
Dirty4fun We are only a phone call away You just pick out the model that turns your crank and it shall be done. Dont know when you are going to win so we will leave this open OK
I've got that one - and old Ken has since passed away since writing it. Too bad he didn't do a follow on. I've also have got Logger's Digest by Barry Coulson. And that's it... Maybe HDX and Trakloader should combine their talents and put down the history as they know it - and they have quite the knowledge it would seem - I know that it would have quite the demand if they did it.
Thasnks HDX,couldnt get the rusyt door open,thanks for the history.Its always neat that every piece out there has touched someones life and has stories to go with it if you can find the right person that knows.We dont just find iron,we find history and stories as well,and fill in missing pieces of other peoples gear and history.Good work all!!
http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/entertainment/115527534.html
Gord Barney - never heard of him before and so thanks for the info. How are these books?
Never read either of them just saw the write up in the local paper and thought there might be some interest out there. Regards D.D.
Sharp eye there Donkey Doctor These two will be a nice addition to everybodies collection
Skadill just for your info Those J/R trucks did not come with tachs or speedometers in the dash like all the others They had two Sangamo "Tattletailers" mounted on top of the dash with the removable day cards Both of them still work in unit #2133 George Fredricson from MtSicker Logging in Duncan has one of the P9s. Out of all these trucks there is very few survivors I saw one of the P9s at the scrapyard in Cassidy some time back but she had a ton of waste steel jammed into her cab so even that was unsavable--- Win Some Lose Some
Thanks HDX,You know more about these trucks and their lives than anyone I'm sure.Some of us just find em,others know whats going on,between the bunch of us putting together these old dinosaur bones on the forum here,we're bringing all the info,picture,history,and resumes back to life of these un-thanked heroes of the industry that were close to being forgotten,and missed on the next generation.
Another Veteran of the Industry taken last spring
That truck is pretty old, no vent windows. HDX, Hayesno1, when did they change that? 62 or so? Love that big Luberfiner on the cowl, too!
Skadill Leave a note for night shift Should be ready to go in morning Trakloader 1961 You could get the vent window in 1960 but it was still an option by 61 they were almost all vent windows
That old girl has some very funny pieces. See the hood well it has a groove along the bottom where the side panel would be. That was only used in 1952 53. The reason was because like all other truck builders of the day the side panels dropped in and hooked onto that part of the hood After enough time the side panels found their way up into the rafters of the shop because every morning you had to climb up and lift the side panel up on top of the hood to check the oil. It just got easier to just leave them off then you could also see if anything was loose or falling off while you were walking around her. The rad and the brush guard are wrong must have come off a newer truck Bumper is original style (used as an option up till end of Hayes) These were called "Stub Bumpers" the bumper everybody sees is the "Push style" bumpers She is definitly a mid 50s unit and I think that what the guy did was fixed whatever went wrong and kept nursing her along till the contract(Job) ended then brought her home to retire
Trakloader, HDX; Funny - Here are pictures of a 1963 HDX with square door windows and no vent. I am pretty sure it is the original cab. So I guess it must be one of the last Hayes that had the old cab
Hayesno1 If you ordered a Hayes and you wanted the old 24x24 windows then you got 24x24 windows It was just that you had to specify that you wanted them because the door was different. The problem with most of these trucks today is you just dont know how many times the doors have been changed or what the story is on them.A good example is to see how many Hayes's have the "New style" doors the ones with the extended lip for the drivers arm( in fact it was designed as a stiffener) because the old style doors had a tendancy to crack right accross where the vent window was situated. While we are on the subject of vent windows on the Hayes HD WHD HDX the problem everybody has today is to find the vent window rubber. These were made by ACE Rubber in Vancouver They sold out to Accurate Rubber after Hayes went down and there was no call for them so they threw out all the moulds due to being obsolete. BUT if you ever find an old Pacific door and the vent window rubber is good WELL grab it because the vent windows are the SAME More trade secrets here going out the "Window" Sorry I know its a long winded answer but now its out there
Ya its the original cab. But the driver's door isn't. It's from this one (pic below). I thought the gravel truck was a 58. I took a pic of its ID plate this morning (2nd Pic). The gravel truck still operates, except the fuel pump is gone on it right now. the S/N is - 3092492 H
1 of 3 trucks that came down from Alaska back in 88. We bought 2, one we still have, the other we put 121s (try to find some pics) then eventually sold to a guy in Kentucky back in 2001. This is the 3rd that Donny Cox had. Its on its way to Chilliwack for the RB auction at the end of the month.
HDX; Thanks for some very interesting information/history. As you have told me, every Hayes built has it's own personality
72HDX, Gravel truck is a 1963 as sn indicates 3092492. First digit "3" indicates year when manufactured 196 3 next 2 digits indicates month of year "9" = September. Last 4 digits are consecutive production number - its a HDX 33-80 model. "33" indicates it got a 330 Hp engine and "80" is Gross weight is 80.000. I have not been able to find SN at frame or cab of HDX above parked in snow.
Hayesno1 you learned your lesson well!!!!
Thanks HDX - you are a great teacher!
If the driver's door on the gravel truck came from this truck, it must have been mis matched. This one has vent windows. ???
Lets drop the vent window thing and move along to new business guys For the good of the order Lets talk about the first HDs Thats always a good one.
The picture of# 4 unit is the first truck posted in this thread at RB auction looking pretty good here,Surrey,B.C.years ago
HDX, was an offset cab an option for the HD's with the 34" frame or would these be WHD's with a 40"?
HDX Dump 2 HDX Dennis Dystant
Hayes started building the new model known as the HD (Heavy Duty) in 1952. This was to better compete with KW Mack Pacific. At that time there was a lot of other trucks being used in the bush here in BC as well DiamondT Sterling International The odd Peterbilt and in their own right each of them had more than proved themselves But with the big timber being harvested it quickly became evident that the heavier trucks would go the distance hauling "Off-Road" So the LM and LF Macks and Pacifics as well as the big Kenworths were all fighting for supremacy. Hayes took ideas from the LM Mack ie the offset cab the hood and the rad were all copies of mack-- KW also offered the offset cab on certain units. Pacific stayed with the center mount cab for some years before they switched over also. The offset cab was strictly for driver visability The first 21 HDs built were offset cabs and then the first center mount cab was installed . It worked very well and then it became an option when you ordered a truck. All these trucks came with 34 in frames As you know the LM Mack had a 33 in frame It wasnt till 1964 that Hayes introduced the "WHD" with the 40 in wide frame The first one was sold to Cattermole Tretheway as unit#221
KW's offset cab was offset so little, it hardly seemed worth the bother. I wonder if that was because the KW cab was so tiny, if they offset it any more the sticks would be in front of the passenger seat!
As I recall KW offset is 6". Hayes is 11". I know there were some Hayes in the mid 50's that had 9" or 10" - HDX will defanitly know(I dont have my Hayes notes right on hand). I cant remember Mack LM models offset and Pacific but I'll find them in my hiddings and post them if any is interested.
Some pictures of Rich Bennets 1973 HD - really nice looking truck.
Skadill; your post #286. These pics shows #4 now DD trucks how she looken summer 2010. She might be all red now
Re.: HD 35-78 sn# 5757. More pics of Cheam Construction unit #4. 2nd and 4th were shot in summer 2000 in Boston Bar. 1st, 3rd and 5th were shot by EdPacific in 2006 in Port Alberni near Sproat Lake div. Truck still got Oversize Express doors and was operated by Dane Development (Coulson). Skadill posted pic of her from RB auction year ???. I am pretty sure it was before year 2000 but how she got her doors back with Cheam Construction in 2007 is a bit weird see 1st post on this thread. I took these pictures in 2007.
Those Cheam Construction HD's were for sale at Pacific Tractor for quite some time in the early 90's.
A couple of old timers resting after their retirement
oops one Kenworth in there sorry!!
those are right in front of the NIPPS building, eh.. i was considering gettin some pics of them but you beat me too it haha
Twas a sunny day yesterday good for pictures
same truck Post #229 I shared of the Hayes with Madill tower on back of the lowbed truck is certainly the same truck as in your top picture here(76282) above-Triple C Logging-Squamish around 1994
Broke in on this truck in 97, only truck in the fleet that has the older style air shift trans.
Post # 286 was owned by Roy Doyle. I still have the chrome grizzly bear off the hood & grizzly interior door panel off that truck before it went to the auction.
2 Hayes WHD dump trucks parked somewhere in BC - both in pretty good condition
Display Hayes 1956 Hayes at Revelstoke Museum,shared pic,taken summer 2010
J.S. Jones units 40-126 and 40-120.
Two of Sprit lakes Hayes for sale
Trakloder; Nice pics. I wonder if unit #40-126 is the same unit "HDX" is looking for? - see his post #38 at BCFP Thread
So HDX here is some more of the HDX. Help me out here, what are we looking for that makes her an odd ball?
Indeed, I made a special ferry trip to find her, that's the one, ex BCFP 6-249. Alive and well, as of yesterday!
Tyyota; What made her odd is her preload configuration. BCFP never bought pre-loads in that configuration all theirs were the folding reach type. See my pic of her post #33 at BCFP Thread and HDXs post#42 at same Thread. Pic below showing Pacific P16 unit #40-139 with folding reach type.
oddball preloads Hi i think these were original convential trucks that were converted to preloads notice the outside edge at top of trunnion chair is tilted out wards for turntable mount preloads were staight flat, center of 5th wheel deck shaft should be in the center looking from side view. this one is forward of center. webbing on outer edge of frame rail should extend all the way to just under fuel tank, airtank placement is differant, looks like all Hayes parts, example saddle,s on back of water tank are correct and 5th wheel lift rails are right. the frames were all the same measurement'a other than front axle placement.
Trakloader Was talking to Dave Whiskin the other nite and he said to thank you for posting the 6-249 pics Dave drove her after Johnny went dispatching and drove her right up till the day he had to take her to Port Alberni to have the 5th wheel assy changed over at Port Machine to the Crown Z/ M&B style. then she went for a barge ride to where she is now
Hayeslogtruck Although she looks different not all of them had the frame webbing all the way up like ours Depended on the truck This was delivered to CrownZ as a Preload in 1974 but the only thing in question is how she came to have the BCFP color scheme Most of the Crown Hayes's came with 71,000 rears not 91s as well some had the set forward front axle and some had the standard set back front axle The water tank could have very well been changed while she was at Courtenay because remember all the preloads they cut up there and the rest were converted to Fire Tankers--These all had the water tanks removed and they were piled up in a heap in the yard. It could well be that maybe the fuel tank was cracked between the water tank and the fuel tank and was getting water in the fuel and they could have taken the water tank off and stuffed one of the others on. It looks kind of not quite right but when you look at it up close the fuel tank on it has been beat to crap with logs so it could well be it was also changed Same as the air tanks these could have been relocated over the years due to damage. I have pictures of some of Crown Zs HDX trucks with Pacific 5th wheels mounted on them So it seems that they just adapted whatever they needed to make it work I will go through them and try and figure out how to post them cause this is getting very interesting
Trakloader; More pics of LLL #T330. I do hope it will help identifying her. These were shot in 2005 some from from 2007 will follow
More pics of LLL #T330 summer 2007
Some closeup pics of 2 different HDX preloaders #40-59 standard front axle configuration and #40-71 set forward axle configuration(pic 2)
More pics of #40-71
Thanks, Hayesno1! I think T-330 is ex-QCD H-259. It would make sense, too, as 258 is now T-329. Do we have any members working for "The Duke" that could get her serial number??
Hayesno1 The pics you just posted clearly show the two different 5th wheels used by Crown Z 40-59 has the Pacific style 5th wheel and saddle mounted on the rear of the water tank and 40-71 has the HDX style 5th wheel and saddle
Another CZ preloader truck #40-61. Truck has been scrapped
Skadill; Another great vidoe you have posted http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skadill#p/u/7/Z0fbrM7UfIY That HD truck is from 1961 - sn: #1012174 - think about it - still going strong after 50 years. Quote you: "Most Hayes dont have a former life - they just keep going" well said It's a HD 29-70. Maybe HDX can add some history. It had a 290 HP Cummings (HD "29"-70). 29 indicates horsepower multiplied with 10
Sorry you guys Truck is NOT a HD 29-70 That truck has a rigid frame that makes her an HDX She has had a cab change and the build plate was left in her The original truck was an HD owned by Kenneth Thomson from Ladysmith I dont know but what she might have been one of the contract trucks hauling for Crown Z at their Ladysmith Operation back in 1961 Somewhere along the line she was parted out and the cab installed on this truck. Skadill --next time you get near her crawl in behind the left front wheel (steering) and look around (behind) where the front wheel brake air line comes through the frame and you will find the real serial # stamped there!!! You are looking for a 4 digit number (after 1970) or a 7 digit number prior to 1970 numbers stamped there will be either 1/4 or 3/8ths cause they used both at the factory
HDX; thanks for corrections - funny when I posted text above I wrote HDX - then took a quick look at #sn plate - it said HD - so I cancelled the "X" - LOL but looking at Skadills video - for sure it's an HDX
Spent two hours out today taking pictures of about 50 trucks. Found T330 no plate left in her but found old highway crossing permit . May not be for this truck ,It says Kenworth 1976, ser # 7063271 no way of knowing if they goofed on the make or not ,but HDX should know if it is a valid Hayes ser#
Sad to see a pretty old lady ending up like that. That sn# must be from Hayes truck - according to sn# it must be from june 1967 and consecutive "3271" fits in that year. HDX and Trakloader can add futher information.. sad sad...:crying
Looks like she took a log inthrew drivers door
OK you guys Thanks to 075 we got a good number Yes indeed T330 was H259 ex QCI unit s/n 7063271
HDX here a couple more for you to decipher .Truck #7, mod # HDX 42-88 ser#5052723. Truck #4 Mod #45 115 ser# 405RM 8-1-84-1. No plate on truck # 2, looked at about a dozen Hayes today only found 5 plates.
I forgot to say these are Steel Rock Trucks
075 Thank you very much for your contribution with these pictures. It is people like you and many others on here that will make this Forum a success. There is so many guys that hang back and just peek in and look around because the think they have nothing to contribute when in fact this is not true. This whole thing is based on things we have all seen or done or in some cases wished we had done.A lot of what we are seeing here today is all because somebody took the time to go out and take pictures and share them with the whole world. The forest industry here on the coast is unlike anywhere else in the world and for that very reason people cant get over what we deal with on a daily basis. For everybody to step up and share their pictures speaks volumes of who we really are and where we are from Again Thank You
For the history of these three trucks scope out the owners story Steele Rock posted a little history for us Posting 185 on this thread. These old girls are very well cared for
Speaking of contributions, I will be getting some photos of an old Clipper with some sort of yarder on the back, it's in real rough condition, in the back of a mill, but it's really cool as it has some really neat history to it. It's a highway truck converted to some sort of winch machine, I don't know until I take abetted look at it. There are other pieces of equipment there as well, I'll get a lot of photos of them all. Great stuff her, keep it up.
Poor old H-259... That's like going to a graveyard and finding the tombstone of an old friend...:crying Oh, well, at least we know. Sure appreciate it, 075! Such a sad end for a fine old truck.
075; Thanks for sharing those Hayes pictures - I just found another pic of LLL #T330 ex #H259 QCI Div. with a nice load - summer 2005 Port McNeill
Old Hayes HD dump truck still going strong - quick access - LOL Truck at Sunshine Coast
Why no door!?
M&B QCD J-91, ex-H-221 I always wondered what truck this was, before she was converted to a spar carrier, then later a goat. I got the serial # today, 6012901. I believe this was H-221, right HDX? When they converted it, the new number was J-91. They simply removed the tower, then backed into the boneyard and blocked up the A-frame. A few cuts, and the truck drove away without the A-frame. The ram and saddle were removed, etc. and fuel tank re-located. The goat replaced the earlier single drum linehorse, and was a much more versatile machine, having two big drums and a strawline. They used to go out and pre-rig the tower settings, so all the stubs were all strung out, and the tower would simply move in and hook up to them. The J-91 was the last truck on the claim with 5x4 sticks. I think Archie was the only guy that could drive it!
Two more........
#4218, looks to have been a pre-loader at one time.
This one looks familiar.....
Trakloader You are on the pin about H221 The yellow HDX 4218 was from Courtenay BC Last time I saw her she was still a Preload Same layout as H17 and all the Crown Z trucks Delivered to AH Longland (Longland Trucking) May 27 1971 Came with 70,000 lb rears just like the Crown Z trucks Lost track of her years ago but glad you managed to catch her--Is she up your way now ????
Yes, I took these pictures today. The weather was good for taking pictures!
WHY they did this to a fine old HD..... This was a beautiful old logger until just recently. You'd think they would use some old cornbinder or GMC. Such a waste.
More......
At least they did not turn her into a Honda. Any body know where this line horse came from?
Isn't that the one in Torkel's video?
More than likly haven't seen video yet.Makes the one we have look like joke
Like at Juskatla, when they retired the old goat they replaced it with a Ford F-700, with a spool holder on the back. Useless piece of crap.
She was in pretty good condition in summer 2005. I think I got some info from HDX. I check out my database.
Yes it is. Great pics trackloader. I am still hoping to make a model of old J91 and for sure your close up pics is a big help. Thanks.
I am sure that was the Sproat Lake Division Linehorse
Its a shame what has happened to her,We still have our long line and a 90 footer and I hear they plan using the longline in McNeill. Nice way to move your guyline stubbs.No body like coiling 8- 250 foot 11/4 stubbs in the back of a pickup
HDX - are we talking something they created at Sproat Lake, post 1982 and onwards? I see the ProMac identifier on the side. My memmory of our old Linehorse was something on an old Ford - possibly a F-700. You would know better than me.
HDX is this a stock Hayes or aftermaket door liner?
So those trucks are for anchoring yarders...? Sounds like a bad question but what do they do?
I'd pay to have that door(and liner) so vintage and cool.
Every so often you would have to change out the mainline and the haulback wire rope for new lines. The Linehorse is what brought out your new wire rope to your machine and took the old ones back to the yard.
That old Sproat linehorse in the pics has a purpose built Promac Linehorse winch, somewhere I have a brochure from Promac that shows it. I doubt that they sold many of them, most camps had any old winch bolted onto the most burnt out truck on the claim. I even saw a picture once, it was a 10-10 Lawrence in the back of an old rock truck. Hopefully it was bolted down! CZ in Sandspit had an HDX with one huge drum powered by a Ford gas engine. The linehorse evolved from the rig-up goat used in the last days of the wooden spar trees. The goat would go out with the bull gang and raise the trees, string the guylines, etc. Later, a logging truck would deliver the yarder, and the tree would already be set up for them; just thread the lines and start logging. Of course, seeing as the goat was just a truck mounted donkey, it had many other uses. Righting overturned machinery, pulling trucks up steep grades, etc. They were very handy machines. Lots of guys were upset when they replaced J-91 with an F-700 Ford. All that thing was good for was transporting a spool of line.
Great info, so you mentioned most burnt out truck eh? Well the Ford keeps that tradition :tong
Here is a neat video from Youtube. Unusual to see Frankie parked, usually his truck is just a blur. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roHUXKJhL6o
This video shows the man himself, HDX. Well, his truck, anyway, H-17, last Hayes ever built. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7STStVtngM
More pics of #H26 line horse
2 Hayes HDX dump trucks - for sure 1 of them has been saved. The truck in right belongs to a guy down in Victoria - can't remember his name at present time. Pics were shot in summer 2004 in Courtenay - WFP div. I think truck at left was an ex CZ preload truck. Maybe someone can add some info....
075 You bet that was one made by John at Quality Trimmers in Vancouver at 215 E. 2nd Ave He still makes them for us for any of the old trucks we restore He still has the paterns for all the Hayes HDX HD WHD and Clippers as well he made the interior kits for pacific That is amazing to see that still in fairly decent shape She is for sure a user or at least a wall hanger WOW im impressed Just out of curiosity Does that door have the wide stiffener on it( the wider than usual lip where your arm would rest)??? Only thing missing is the black carpet on the bottom of that door. You can see where it was . Still even has the dovetails --if they are the tin ones they are rare They were made by Stewart- Warner After that supply dried up Hiada Truck Parts had a bunch of plastic ones cast and they do work. Second generation ones came with no screw holes in them so the could be drilled out with the two screws for the Pacifc door or the 4 screw holes for the Hayes doors I get about a year out of them before they crack and break. The last ones I bought from Neil up at NIPPS in Pt McNeil and they were like about 6 bucks each so you cant go wrong. I see the inner door handle is missing!!! Those Door regulators and the chain window assy's are getting hard to find and very costly. When we get time if you want we can get into this subject a little deeper. I got some zingers about these doors OK
Trakloader I was coming off BR278 when that was filmed Didnt even know it was happening. Guy asked me about the camera but like I told him Nope sorry was not under H17 it was a P16 that was converted to a conventional--scope out the trailer it is a conventional 60 tonner That is a neat video none the less Sure makes it look easy comin down the mountain LOL
I noticed that, and he was in a P-16 at the end. Nice shot of H-17, though, but it would have been better red & white..... Yeah, you make it look so easy! Haha!
We have the one on the right at present. Got it at the auction in 2007. The one on the right was a pre-load, the steering axle is farther ahead on the frame. I'll post a pic of her on the weekend. Have been hauling gravel with her this last week. She had 70,000. But the 70,000 spindles are notorious for breaking, so we cut the suspension out and put 90,000 with Kenworth suspension under her.
Heres two pictures of the truck,an HD3356 ser#4099. Hope that makes it fun for you
could you tell me if you know where Lee Hutton is today? I believe I went to school with him and hung around some with him after we finished school a bit. The Lee I knew used to come in to victoria from Port Renfrew Friday nights with some other guys. In those days it was quite the drive
72HDX, thanks for info. Set forward axle and preloader makes sense. I have never seen set forward axle HDX models with standard configuration from new. All were preloaders but I might be wrong. Some set forward models have later been rebuilt to standard configuration. An example is old M&B unit #H320 Ooops! I made a mistake - I can't figure out what is left and what is right.. LOL Truck with set back front axle - at left - belongs to a guy in Victoria.
Lee is retired in downtown Youbou. Google him and his Ph # will come right up
075 You are testing me here!!! Ok where do we send the lowbed to pick her remains up???? LOL Will do a number on her so she is out on the Parade and truck show scene. If its not too much trouble could you take off the tank It is unbecoming of a future Show Stopper OK here are her facts Sold new May 25 1970 to Decock NTC335 Cummins engine 9 inch double steel frame T905-B main and an 8341-C aux SSHD rears with 6.17 ratio Top speed was 53 MPH One 65 Gal steel fuel tank Pyrometer and chrome air cleaner as well as a chrome muffler Was Apache Gold 2329-81651 and Apache Yellow 2329-8369 VERY CLASSY TRUCK Still very savable Would do it to her in a heartbeat Hows that!!!
Love it!!! theres anouther one there HD25-70 ser#0072195. You should come up and have a look in their bone yard counted 32 trucks sitting in it before I lost count you never know what could happen.
Man, that truck is 51 years old! Think you could drive her up for me?
OK you guys here is the "skinny" on the Linehorse H26 Went to M&B Copper Canyon new in 1966 s/n 6063030 Was eventually converted to a linehorse down there When she went on the surplus list Sproat Lake picked her up. When the big Garage sale happened over there she was sold to Lamare Lake Logging and was parted out up at Port McNeill. A sad end for another real classic. Seemed that all the M&B Divisions finally found something that worked well and then got rid of it At Franklin we had several over the years everything from the old Macks and then the HD Hayes H39 Then we picked up two HDs H208 and H210from Northwest Bay H208 became the "Yard Truck" for our Pup and Train program and H210 became a linehorse.Then our last one was a 1972 HDX H112. She was sold and became a ramp truck for a contractor in Port Alberni I know Hayesno1 has pictures of her both as a linehorse and as a ramptruck as she still is today
No can do fuel going into base . At least thats whats on the do not start card. Can get the lowbed in there though hahaha
075 The above HD Hayes s/n 0072195 was bought by Beban Logging July 1960 NH250 Cummins 5A1120 fuller main and a 8341A aux 46-40 rear ends 10:16 ratio 12:00X24 tires bought as cab and chassis also Apache yellow
OK Not a biggie Is there a fuel "Float Tank" on her If so its probably the little float ball stuck in the open position and allows the fuel to fill the base up We had one of those babies and you would have to shut the fuel off after every use till we scooped another float and fixed the problem but of coarse if it would effect the selling price well maybe we didnt really talk about this LOL
The condition sounds terminal to me, they should probably pay us to take her away.........
OK Trakloader love your train of thought 075 The ball is in your court!!! Or should I say the HAYES is in your court
Will Inquire, Ian the Master machanic lives across the street from me will chat him up when I see him, you just never know what can happen
Hayes HDX& 100 ton Peerless Lowbed Took these today-G.W.Cox & Sons Logging. Truck will be auctioned next wed.
Skadill Are those Pacific Preloads in the back ground waaay back there??? in the first post or 850s maybe
HDX,I got lots of video walk arounds today,Euclid log truck,2 p16's,one is a preload,lots of good youtube stuff over the next couple weeks,and still pics for here
Skadill You are all over it thanks a lot from all of us that cant be there
Thanks HDX,I consider myself 'the reporter on the ground' always looking for a piece to throw into the soup here and flavor it up.I'm not the cook or the host just bring some ingredients to throw in the pot here to add variety!
No doubt, your in my top 3 favorites on YouTube and on here. So when will that video with my pics be made?
Strange coinsidence Hayesno1 you just post H26 two days before I took pictures and posted of the same truck (I hadn't seen the pics here then)
I wouldn't be all to surprised if I not have a couple of pictures, and even some more video, of that line horse. Wait and see...
HDX; Thanks for info. Here are shots of #H112 as a ramp truck. This is how she looks at present time. I will post some pics of her with a huge push bumper(this was cut of a few years ago) and as line horse.
I wonder what size dump box one of these could handle if they were hauling hog fuel. I know they weigh a lot when loaded with logs. Maybe a short wide and tall end dump trailer could work. These trucks are awesome. I think they would work great for hauling biomass out here. What would the payload be just on the truck?
Old #H112 More pics of old #H112 as a ramp truck. Truck was unloading at Cemeron Div. summer 2007. Pics with huge push bumper were shot summer 2005
And last pics of old #H112 as line horse
Trakloader - I like your idea How can we save that nice 51 years old lady. Right when I saw her I felt in love with her A few pics of her.
Yes, Hayesno1, that is a very nice old truck! Seems remarkably intact, for such an old truck.
Loved the Hayes & Pacific threads. Like to say a few words about off highway log trucks. I grew up on Front St. in Aloha Wa. with a steady stream of off highway Petes rumbling past the house. Short walk to the log dump at the pond for this young boy. Hours of entertainment. The pond boats were cool. 'Log Bonks'. We ended up owning a couple of those Petes when Aloha Lumber sold out. Used them on the Quinault for years. Later at St. Helens until the mountain got them at Camp Baker. My uncle, Norman Ross, had bought one of Weyco's lowboy tractors. A Kenworth 'Brute' Had the V12 Alison auto and planetary drives. He added onto the frame and installed bunk gear for hauling logs. It really was a 'Brute'. He decided it needed more gears and pulled her out of the line up long enough to slap a 4 speed brownie behind the Allison. 40 forward gears. I took many rides with that man as a boy in the various trucks he owned. Lots of trips over "Chow Chow" bridge. Look that one up. Our neighbors grandpa was the engineer who designed "Chow Chow". What am I doing now? Driving a T 800. Would post a pic, but haven't figured out how yet. No problem putting pics on Craigslist, Gunbroker and others, but need a lesson here. Thanks, boys for all the trips down memory lane. Maybe I will go over "Chow Chow" again in my sleep tonight, pulling 30,000 board feet of cedar.
There's still a good number of Hayes trucks about in the fields,and back country.Took this in nov 2010
Love those old trucks. Can't quit looking. The first big truck I drove was an off highway Pete. Worn out, and had an old sled donkey mounted on the back for a line spooler. 5 & 4, and air leaking out almost as fast as it went in. More sticks coming out of the floor than I knew what to do with. I was 14. Drove that hunkajunk across the Reservation and over Chow Chow suspension bridge on the Quinault River. Somehow survived. I'm now driving a 1997 T 800 that came out of Canada. Belonged to Western Seaboard / Doyle Transport. I kept their old number on it and actually have that number (616) registered with the AKDOT for state jobs. Picked the truck up in Prince George at a Ritchie Bros Auction. N 14 Celect plus 525, 18 speed, 46 rears w/ full lockers. I've kept her nice, and even done some upgrades. She was set up for pulling low boys, and double sets of chip trailers. She hauls gravel, asphalt, and topsoil now in a Nahanni box with a high lift gate. I put a body vibrator (humper dumper) on it so I never have to shovel. Great stereo, and lots of lights. Just put in HID headlights. I will post some pics when I figure out how.
Hayes HD from 1958 with cheese blocks - I think this one got a RR engine but I am not sure. Truck is on diplay at McLean Sawmill, Port Alberni - great place - worth a visit
What's with the homemade bunks on that truck? For hauling pulpwood???
Now there is a name from the past - Jack McKamey was still driving at Sproat Lake Division when I was there. Is he still alive?
I really dont know - just to small.. LOL but I think they should look like real cheese blocks and they did not have the real McCoy.. Maybe HDX can add some info on this truck
Fellow by the name of Dave Lowe was pretty well in charge of the truck part of the AV Museum/Heritage Society in 1986 when Sproat Lake Division was cutting up all their HD Hayes Fire Tankers and some of the old Macks with Hayes cabs on them. One of the old LM Macks was actually DRIVEN down to the lower yard where Budget Steel cut her up--- air pissin out everywhere. I know this cause WE were there to see it Then they proceded to cut up 6 HDXs and two P16s I took pictures but all I got was peed off. ANYWAY Dave went over and did some fast talking and being as how M&B had butchered all the other ones I guess they figured WHAT THE HELL and donated that truck to the AV Museum Dave did a lot for the Society and was just a great guy to be around That truck originally came with a RR engine but as with all of them they were turfed out due to high parts costs and availability of parts.Replaced with 275HP Cummins. Those bunks that are on it actually came off the red 1945 Hayes that the Museum has There was a set of 2 foot high stakes that would flip over the nubbs on the end of the bunks. She is yet another example of what once was used up here in the forest industry. A fine example I might add Truck was originally painted Yellow as were all the trucks back then Was not till 1967 that M&B went to Red and White paint scheme as corporate color
My Grand father was the last steam enginer at the mill, Often they would live out at the mill .Had the run of the place as a kid even remeber old man Maclean and his picaness dog in his dodge pick up.
I took this video on Monday (did one on thursday, but it was in HD, so I did one in standard def) hauling down the Naka main. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-aA1gg5U0&feature=player_profilepage
A brownie behind an Allison. First I've heard of that. I wouldn't think you would need any further reduction with an Allison, and I'm surprised that they make a brownie to take that much torque. I thought the only modern compound transmissions were not rated for much torque. I would give my eye teeth to drive a 5X4 two-stick again, with a Jake. Heck, I would settle for a Duplex. Contract Logger mentioned some Brutes with 8V92s and 5X4s. The 8V92 was a maintenance nightmare from what I remember, but it was one pretty sounding engine. I would be in hog Heaven driving a Brute with that combo.
HDX; Thanks for clearing that out. Good at least one was saved. Here are a few more pics. Just below MB sign on door it's "stamped" "F715" - "F" for Fire truck - see close up pic of right door. I better find pictures of the old 1945 Hayes and post them.
As I promished pics of 1945 Hayes truck on display at McLean Mill, Pot Alberni
Another old Hayes. Hopefully it will be restored some day. Engine is missing.
Truck was running when parked there. Engine was taken out to run a sawmill. Since then someone has taken the transmission out as well.
Thanks for info scotty12. Sad to say I did not see her last summer, but hopefully she is hide away
Still in the same spot indeed. The owner has plans as a lawn ornament for her.
NoNoNo She still has life in her Let her run again!!!
I do agree. Such an old nice lady should run for parades.
Agreed! Those trucks are few and far between, and shouldn't be parked on lawns to rust away!
Here is an HDX still going strong - ex MB truck. Now a water truck. Hopefully someone will save her when she is parked
Ruh-roh........ I think I see some more of those pesky 46000 rears...... For shame, for shame........
Hayesno 1, Hdx n trackloader I totally agree with you guys. That truck is very cool and Otta be restored . It has a unique scissor type dump system under it. Seems to me the hydraulic ram is parallel to the frame rails, a nightmare to change the front diff mind you
Agreed then she must be saved!!!! What do you guys think N14 with an 18 speed Pete-airtrac suspension Make her ride like a mattress. Vigilant wheres the pesky 46000 rears??? What truck?
Now that would be cool Hdx! I'll pass that suggestion on to the owner!
Post #408. The photo with the rears in the foreground. They sure look like highway rears to me. Or am I mistaken?
taken last year,a couple more survivors
Hell, let's do a Series60 with one of those computer shift Roadrangers!
Vigilant You are close They are the 46-40s These were rated about the same as the Mack 65,000lb rears. Indeed these are getting very rare and harder to find now. Even the old Mack 65,000lb diffs are rare
Thanks for the lesson. They sure don't look that heavy.
An HDX at LLL shop 2007 - I think they bought her for spare parts. Did you see her 075 when you visited LLLs shop a month ago?
This description of the Sproat Lake lower yard got me digging into some of my old shots. I was aiming at a shot of the yarder but got these older haulers (Kenworths? - sorry I can't tell but you might know) that were being dismantled back in the early 2000's. Were these part of that major scrapping? I remember the lower yard when I worked in the Cous Division. They once had an old Sparmatic there that donated its tower to the J-88 when she went over. Lots of great old junk. At the far end of the yard, outside of the fence, they had a few old machines left to moulder - one old track loader comes to mind.
Here she is try not to cry!!! Not parted out as much as some of the others
I all ways shed a tear or 2 when I see a nice truck ends it's life like that.
Pics of HDX trucks
Unit #1036 is ex M&B H107 Went to Franklin River Division new in late summer of 1972. Worked in Camp B for 1 week to make sure there was no issues and then she went to Sarita area of operation Only there one week and the first weekend she was parked up a spur road and was vandalized Had the windows all chopped out with the fire axe and was heavily damaged Was a real shame to see a brand new truck so damaged This was the first Allison Auto that Franklin River got
A few pics of Vic Rowlinsons Hayes Clipper 100 from 1966. Pics were taken at Duncan truck show 2005 unloading an old Hayes logging truck. Blue HD from 1972 is HDXs truck.
2 HDX parked in HFP shop in Duncan summer 2005. Unit #T8074 an ex MB unit and #T723
Hayesno1 unit # T723 was originally a BCFP Caycuse truck 6-240 and unit T8074 was ex M&B unit H154 went to Sproat Lake Division new and when surplused in 1999 was transferred to Cameron/Franklin Division If interested I will give all the details
HDX, thank you for information - for sure I am interested i all details - you know me.. LOL
More pics of old #H154 and HFP #T433
6-243 Picture of BCFP #6-243, back in her heyday. They sure ran some sharp looking trucks in those days.
HD fading away Drive by this often, photoed last year,truck is getting worse at it sits,window out,back wheels now gone
Hopefully someone will save her - she looks like a neat little truck. Here is an HDX model HFP #T0619 - look at fenders they have been replaced with fenders from an HDX set forward model
Skadill That is a savable HD Lots of potential But the downside is she would have to be taken down to the frame and built back up. HOWEVER having said that --can you just imagine her with Pete airtrac back end or Airliner suspension and a set of sticks behind a 3406B. What a toy she would be. I have seen a lot worse trucks brought back but it takes a ton of patience. I have an HDX cab waitin for a project and thought WOW an off-set cab HD Highway Hayes--We have the technology. Somebody Please save her. As for the Hdx pictured above-- The front bumpers were all installed and fabbed at the Hayes forest Shop in Duncan. Problem was these were a waste of time in that the pipe arrangement underneath was useless It served no real purpose. I think the theory behind it was to protect the front torque arms but this was a little overkill. I have tried for 8 years to get that crap cut off mine and will even if I have to wait till she comes home. All you guys that drove the HDXs know that all the Automatic Trucks had the oil cooler up under the front bumper and it wasnt till HFS came along that I saw these coolers torn out while a driver was pushing the Low-bed. It was the design of the push bar on the back of the lowbed that caused all the trouble so why not fix the lowbed instead of every truck on the claim. You can see that this truck has done its share of pushing but do you see any marks on the pipe underneath the bumper. DUHH
I see that truck has a air cooler on it, so no need for the pipe anyways.
Always wondered what them goofy looking pipes were for. I thought they were for catching deer or something. We had a similar thing up here. H-152 had a special front bumper made for pushing the 7230R. H-45 had two big nuggets made for pushing the bed. Of course, the foreman sends the 45 to push the 7230, and one of them big nuggets snagged the loader on a corner and threw the truck into the toolies. Big investigation, and of course, it COULDN'T be the fault of the foreman! They blamed the truck, and welded a bunch of crap onto the 45's bumper. Made the two nuggets into a big solid bar. Same with the trailers. I can't remember ever hearing about trailers falling off, until they started putting the trailer wheels on the bunk. Trailers falling off all the time. The solution? Spend big $$$$ welding chains etc. to the trucks, and trailer reaches, to try holding the reach down. Loading the trailers the proper way would have been much too easy!
Thanks HDX for sharing that "bumper" information. Here are a few shots of an HDX preloader HFP unit #T8158 ex. M&B unit #H319. I dont know present owner but trucks operates as fire truck. Does anyone know?
HDX of a different colour Bob Stephens runs some good iron, got to help him out time to time, was a pleasure. 1-Last loads before the snow flys. Port Neville Log, H branch, Goat Lake 2-this one was called the baby Hayes, as it came with 46-40 but got narrow 91's put in. had a 400 cummins with 6x4 trans. with 13 ft bunks (others had 14s) 3-Trucks at Rudy Deerings camp out from Fair Harbour 4-Bob's truck, has the 12-71TT, 6061, 121 diffs. 5-Trucks ready to head for the beach from sort in Goat Lake. 30 mi haul.
Roy Doyle & sons Storm Bay
T&T trucking Halfmoon Bay
Hd taken nov 2010
Very classy picture Skadill Still has original cab visor and mostly everything except the logging rigging is bone stock. Dont know where you keep finding them but keep it up
I have a dumb question. Where I am from (Central Oregon) behind the bunk trailers as I call them as in the picture above when loaded are not to common. Can anyone teel me why they load the trailer behind the bunks of the truck as apposed to putting the stakes between the trailer tires?
Some Hayes that have been saved and waiting for restoration
2133 an old Gordon River truck? Looks like pictures were taken in P.A. Heres one I seen in Menzies bay last week
I have a dumb question. Where I am from (Central Oregon) behind the bunk trailers as I call them as in the picture above when loaded are not to common. Can anyone teel me why they load the trailer behind the bunks of the truck as apposed to putting the stakes between the trailer tires? To keep more of the weight further out back to help with traction going up the steep hills
Poor old girl - that is old H295 from MB Eve River Div. Sad sad to see her like that.. Re. #2133 I think your right, but for sure HDX will return with right answer before I dig it out of my hidings.. LOL
Pics of HDX at WFP Port McNeill Div. Both trucks are ex M&B trucks - old #H49 (now yellow) with double trailers. Red and white paint scheme truck is ex H109
Pics of HDX at WFP Port McNeill Div. Both trucks are ex M&B trucks - old #H49 (now yellow) with double trailers. Red and white paint scheme truck is ex H109
Another HDX I haven't seen before today. I was told it belongs To Steel Rock ?
Poor thing, looks like she's on her way out....
Hayes Clipper, trakloader and i think 1968??
It might be a 1968 Clipper 100 model. If you got serial no - for sure I can tell
075; I saw the truck for the first time last year at the same spot. She might belongs to Steel Rock as I some years ago saw Butch Carrolls trucks parked on the other side of fence?????
This truck was orginally owned by CE Routh, was #4 in his fleet, which was later sold to Butch Carroll. She is looking rather sad these days.
Ted Routh's # 4 Here are a few pics of Routh's #4 back in 91, sporting a new paint job. (had a guy come to help me wrench and in a month everything had new paint!) Routh bought two HDX's in 74, units #4 & #5, after that came new P-16s in 77,78, and 79. one each year, last new truck was the Mack CL350 in 1980.
I couldn't get a good picture of it, or even see it that well. Next time I'm there I'll write it down, then I'll be able to tell also.
Wow, Greatwestcam, you have THE best pics!:notworthy
Did Cougar Inlet end up with her --Thought thats who had her last. VERY STRAIGHT TRUCK Funny how a little paint can make em look uptown again Good Save
Hayesno1 I remember when H109 came to Franklin new in 1972 She was surplused around the late 80s and went up to Pt McNeil to Mike Murphy's shop. He completly rebuilt her and stuffed a 3408 in her She looked brand new only problem was Mike loved those P16 Pacific cabs and he installed one on every truck he rebuilt. Thing about it was the old Hayes cabs had been over the road too long and let got to the point that it made sense to go with the Pacific cab cause it was new and maintenance free for many years.
I think H-271 went to Port McNeil for rebuild, got Pacific cab and a Cat 3408. They used her as the model to do H-147 and 149 up here. They sure look odd with those Pacific cabs........
More pics of old M&B #H109 from 1972 still going strong now for WFP Port McNeill Div. I thought I placed pics of her here - it's still Hayes even though it got a Pacific cab Last pic is another old M&B Hayes HDX with Pacific cab.
Drove 2229 or red 29 as they call her here for a week two years ago.Nice truck still has the cat in her trans viberates like hell in sixth gear, they have tried lots of things but can not get rid of it. Shakes the trans mount bolts lose all the time.
Here are more pics of "the other" red and white HDX from my last posting. This is WFP unit #2223. I think this is old M&B unit #H74.
That was why Franklin surplused old H109 because she shook so bad and that was with the V12-71N None of the drivers would stay on her. There was another HDX that came to Cameron Division new in 1973-- H166 and she had a vibration right from the factory never could track it down. I think its up your way now You cant miss it cause its got a P16 cab on it but it has a goofy front bumper arrangement Scope out Posting #151 on this thread. She might have 121 rear diffs now Thought I saw something different there
That's really weird. Maybe the truck was cursed?
Second Chance First pic a year ago in the weeds close to be being scrapped,second and fourth pics taken the other evening,arrived at the logging truck hospital.Third pic taken today,admitted,and got a bath.Will be a great recovery to watch.We wish it well !!
That's great news, Skadill! Are they going to take her logging? What engine is in that truck?
Skadill; Yes for sure great news. She looks pretty nice after bath. Looking forward to see her in new paint
Some pics of Hayes HDX - old H166 with goofy bumper Zeballos 2005. I can´t remember I have seen her since - 075 might know her status at p.t.
Here 2 pics of HD logging truck. I am not sure if it had some kind of preload system(winch/cable). I like the ramp for the trailer. Sadly gate was closed so I could not get better pictures of her. She looks really nice - great for a model I wonder if she will be back in operation?
Got a call last nite from a friend Seems Camex is cutting up all kinds of stuff-- Quite a few things in A. Andersons Yard in Hope Worst part was there is a needle nose HD Hayes going to be cut up tomorrow morning (Monday) He said so far it is still complete with both trannys etc but they will let her go if somebody bucks up with scrap price. Execution time is early tomorrow morning Help Her Somenody!!!!!
She not up here on north island must have gone to Gold River!
Yes please save her- It must be the white and orange HD truck(A. Andersons Yard truck). It has been parked in a gravel pit a few 100 meters from A. Andersons Yard in Hope.
Hayesno1 That red HD you posted just smacks of ex NorthWest Bay Division Columbia bunk and rear ramps are something different though--at least the bunk has been changed will look through my pics and see what we can come up with
Hey Skadill in post 474 the second picture there appears to be a block of wood under the right number axle. Is this some kind of after market park brake?
HDX, I checked my own pics - this must be the same truck
Another HDX with Pacific cab, but compare to the others a little bit odd. Cab is sitting very high and different kind of fenders. WFP #2167 - Port McNeill 2007.
That truck appears to be a Dr. Frankenstein creation, using Hayes, Pacific, and KW parts.
That truck came out of Zeballos, and they did a complete rebuild on it about four or five years ago, They just put an new engine in it last month will get pictures soon of it. I always thought it was a Pacific going to have look at it really close now!!
075, It's a Hayes but for sure it gone through a complete rebuild. And you are truck came from Zeballos. See attached pictures - they are from Zeballos summer 2005
You know I drove that truck for one day when Mike took the day off, and I never even give it much of a look, it just looked Pacific and I never thought it might be a Hayes .There was one in Pitt Lake when I worked there in 2001 that was a Hayes but was rebuilt by Pacific and you really had to look closely to tell.Going to see if I can get the ser# for 2167.
Why is the pacific cab so high and the hood so sloped, looks like a Mack or a KW? Different fenders too.
Hers another one.
Frankenhayes Kind of looks like Hayes frame, bumper, etc. with KW hood, fenders, and water tank, and a Pacific cab.
This is the same truck Hayesno1, it's still there & was moved around the yard the other day
I see that the grille in the last picture, #491 is a little different. Is it possible that that is a picture of a "challenger"?
No, it isn't. But, I suspect that the shop crew were inspired by the Challenger. Sure looks like they used some KW parts.
075, It looks like she has been rebuild for the second - new fenders, airfilters, hood/side panels, grill/rad and even bumper looks different but it my be theangle of pic. For sure I would like to get #sn if it is possible. Then I am pretty sure HDX can add further info/history on her....
scotty 12; thanks and great to hear. Do you know if she is going to be active again or is she parked for restoration?
Not sure what the plans are, doesn't look like it's going anywhere in the near future
Okay - do you know owner? How about the black Hayes COE - Peterbilt model from 1974-75. Is it still going strong in your neighbourhood?
Another Hayes HDX with Pacific cab from Port McNeill. It's old M&B unit #H49. Trailer ís old M&B units as well - unit #X274. Pics were taken in 2005. Present time truck is painted yellow.
The cabover is parked , still runs though it needs some tlc
Its is not the same truck its Brent Meredith's in Holberg. Will get the ser.# just might take a bit.
Fire away you guys By the way 075 I called him Thank you too much
HDX Dump/Bin Truck Taken a couple months ago
Hd This 1972 HD was used for hauling debris from the DLS, but she has been inactive in recent years.
Now that is weird, that truck has an older Pacific cab. Mid-late 70's vintage.
Does anyone have any pics of that Barko 475?
Skadill; Good to see her - now at Mainland I think. She was auctioned some years ago. Here a few shots of her back in 2005 when she was a sandertruck for WFP. This is a HDX set forward axle model.
Yes Pacific cab but with small front windows
Thanks Scotty for information. I couldn´t find it last year.
What is the purpose of the hitch on the front bumper?
For pulling/pushing logging trailers in yard area.
Yes, very strange, that cab is almost the same vintage as the truck. Probably the Pacific was parted out, and the cab used to replace a damaged one on the sand truck.
You might be right, maybe HDX can add some information. I don't have serial number of truck. From new I guess truck was a preloader, but I can't tell for sure. Frame at back has been cut short - no ramp left.
More pics of HDX sander truck
I'd say it was a pre-loader, as I don't see a saddle on top of the water tank for a conventional trailer reach. But yes, HDX will know for sure.
Olympic's WHD This WHD is one of the ones brought back from Indonesia. Amazing how much a coat of paint can help hide things, the whole roof on this truck is fishplate.
Coulson Yard I spent some time this week back in Port Alberni. I was a busy man but I managed to head out to my old marshalling yard at Sproat Lake Division. Sombre visit actually because much of the activity of years gone by is but a memmory. I took this shot through the wire around the compound at the adjacent Coulson yard.
Whd There seems to be a discrepancy, the brass plate in the cab says "WHD35-110, and the door tag WHD-450.
HD 6x6 Don't know anything about this 6x6 HD. It's been parked in various places around here over the last few years. I'm pretty sure that it's for sale, probably cheap, too.
Jackd Sad to see her like that! Last time I looked in on her she still was all together Was the first of four HDX PreLoads to go to Cameron Division new in 1974. Her unit # was H88 S/N 6352 Was sold at RB auction in the late 90s and that is where Coulson Forest Products got her. Shop Super came to Cam/Franklin from Kennedy Lake and decided it was no longer needed and sent her by barge to Vancouver and the Master Mechanic by the name of Walter Miles from Shawnigan Division picked up her sister H89 and converted her to a conventional S/N 6362--As for the other two trucks H90 and H91 S/Ns 6368 and 6374 both were cut up in the Camp "B" Shop yard by Hayes Forest in 2005.
Trakloader Will fill in the blanks on Friday nite when more time OK
Great pics Trakloader, she looks great - you are right - paint can do a lot
jackd and HDX; very sad to see M&B #H88 like that. I took this picture of her last summer but did not know it was old #H88. Gate was closed, so I could not get close to her.
I made a mistake 2167 is not the truck I thought it was , the truck I was thinking of is 2169 and it is an Pacific. 2167 is in Holberg I think or Gold River.
075; You are right - #2169 is a Pacific. I just posted a few pics of her at Pacific thread
Some pics of Hayes HDX at Sarita dump. HFP truck unit T0460
Pics of HFP T1053 with a nice load parked for the nigth at Cemeron Div. Original M&B unit #H320. Truck came new as preloader but sadly HFP converted her to standard logging truck configuration
Hayesno1 T460 was originally Reg Smyths unit # 10 Went like this #6 became T456 #7--T457 #8--T458 #9--T459 and #10 became T460 As you remember HFS sold #6 (T456) to Surespan as a trailer drone All this happened under Hayes Forest Sevices. Sad to say that for a second time old H320 is in a state of disrepair This time she had trans trouble and had the trans removed for repair but this time she was dragged out and parked along the fenceline Now the rear diffs have been removed and all kinds of parts are being used to keep other trucks running Think both diffs are out of her now and engine components are being removed when needed Hopefully she will be put back together
Hayes HD I suppose these Hayes have truly found the end of the road.Took last winter
Thanks HDX, I think I have some pics of #459 (sn#4170 as I recall)- here some pics of #460 with a nice load. I have never seen #458(I think). Yes #456 is still going strong but as a dolly with out cab. Better post some pics of her before she was converted to dolly. Sad to hear about H320 - she was beauty in MB colours.
Hayesno1 Unit T458 came with Mack Planetaries (Mack 100,000 lb) These were removed she just dissapeared
Skadill Good post man They are both still savable trucks Both are candidates for newer components ie Air ride suspension and 18 speed trans behind a 3406B engine (no air to air) Once all the crap was cut off the wide rad HD she would look normal again Even the brush guard on the "NeedleNose" would come out clean and straight in a press
Hayes HD31 48 Picked this up today and Steve provided the info,Truck was a lot truck not custom order job Sold by Hayes Western Truck&Equipment Ltd Delivered date was March 20/69 235 wheel base double steel frame 8V71N engine Main trans was Spicer 8753B s/n was 1152265 and aux was 8341F s/n 1175928 10:00X20 front tires with Budd rims SQD rear-ends with6.44 ratio top speed is 66 1/2 MPH Rear tires were 10:00X22 Firestone12 ply also Budd rims 2 --65 gal steel fuel tanks Funny because this truck came with oil temp guages for both trans as well as both diffs Should be mounted on dash at left hand side of steering wheel also woodgrain dash She was Guardsman Blue(DUM-970) with a white 4 inch stripe Frame was black as were the fuel tanks Shutters were white as were all the wheels Green interior
Skimoe55 Pure Class Original exterior Visor Original mirror brackets All the original name plates still there WOW NICE example of a "NeedleNose" HD DO NOT CUT the front bumper to straighten it The best way is easy Chain a excavator bucket to it tight and use the Hydraulics She will come out perfect NO HEAT do it cold You will be impressed Soak all the pianno hinges really good with LPS or Move-it 4 on the hood and both doors Dont force them just work back and forth slowly Let us know what you need OK HDX
Pics of HFS unit T456 ex. R. Smith #6. HFS sold her to Surespan. See HDX info posted 9th May.
Hayes HDX water tank - ex TW #CSP11. Truck might be an old BCFP or ZC truck Original I think it was a preloader. Look at rear - some leftovers of ramp
skimoe55; Great looking truck. Are you going to restore her? What is sn# of truck?
Surespan Truck This must be the truck in post 536 then,I didnt take the pic, it was sent to me.
Sure going to give it a try to restore it, first thing is to get some rear rubber to move it home, s/n 9053571
Skadill The truck or should we say drone in the rear is all that is left of old Reg Smyth #6 (T456)
Hayesno1 Unit # T456 left Franklin and was taken down to Honeymoon Bay area of operation by Hayes Forest and used as a low-bed push truck Only used near the end for pushing log loaders and lowbeds. The second picture you posted shows the repaired damage she sustained while pushing a log loader up a hill. Brushguard and rad as well as hood were damaged and then replaced You can see where the right side of the hood was scrunched also front aircleaner plate was replaced
CSP11 was ex Crown Z Truck Will get serial # for you Yes was a preload
HDX; Thanks for info - I guess CSP12 is some kind of sister to CSP11. CSP12 is definitely a ZC truck with those black&white stripes on bumper
HDX Linehorse H-224 taken in 1980.
Trakloader, wow what a pic - I am still amazed. Great picture. I'll have to make a model of her - you know me... LOL.. By the way I finished the water tank trailer yesterday. So now I gonna paint it..
That picture sure does show just how big the Clark 8 speed Auto trans was. The WHDX was built to take these trans because they had to be wider than the standard 34 inch frame width of the HDX These frames were 40 inches wide and the water tanks were different because they sat higher up off the frame than the standard ones because of the added height of the Clark. If I could find a Clark I would take out the 6&4 in the "Pumpkin" and install it instead Just loved the scream of those trannys. There was no better sound on earth than the Clark behind a 12V71N at full speed A symphony in steel These Clarks had two different types of shift towers One was like a horse-shoe with 8 forward speeds on one side and reverse around the other side and the best one was the one with just a tower with 8 slots for gears and behind the tower was a johnson bar with forward nuetral and reverse We had 4 WHD Hayes's with 13-298 ratio 90,000 Clark rear ends with 89 inch track These trucks would do 48 MPH. I remember having Backing up races with other drivers and I could never get above 3rd and lock-up in reverse before you couldnt controll it Probably the BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES Thank You M&B for buying us all those wonderful toys
We still have a few trucks with clarks in them up here.Getting really expensive to work on, our hauling contractor had two of them and was putting about $20,000 into them each year and is down to one now, and is using the one for parts to keep the other one running.Western has three of them and the other contactor has one, all 849 Kenworths. Jeune landings truck is currently in McNeills shop with a hole in the side of the case on the reverse clutch pack.And you are right you can hear the trans long before you hear the motor with its unique sound. Dam hot in the cab in the summer with all that heat comming off the trans shifter tower. Fun to drive with all the gears ,pretty whimpy retarder heats up fast, not much holding power.
On the subject of retarders, what did y'awl run the most off-highway? I would think a traditional Jake would work well if applicable, although I don't know much about their compatibility with autos. I would think a combination, such as a Jake and an Ox, would be the ticket. The only other possibility that I am familiar with, other than a crank brake, would be something in the driveline, behind the trans.
Anyone recognize these door panels from my 1969 HD, just looking for some history,
Hd Wondered where this ended up, it appears that the old girl has been relegated to hauling poles from the pole mill to the dump. Pretty sad, but better than the alternative, I guess.
075 Let me start by saying how sorry we all are over the bad accident All of us in this industry feel it when one of our own get struck down-- Again from all of us on here Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. Steve
Just heard about that today, poor guy was younger than me. As you say, Steve, we all feel it when something like that happens. Especially so these days, coastal loggers are becoming such a small group, it seems that everyone knows one another. Hang in there, everyone, and keep out of the bight.
It was a very sad day for us all up here, It only happened 20 miles away in Mahatta, within three hours the whole North Island shut down. First time that has ever happened here. Huge turnout at the memoral today, My thoughts go out to the family also.
Hayesno1 The above post #544 Shows ex Crown Z Preload now numbered CSP12 It was Crown Z unit # 40-56 I will track down her S/N and what ever I can for your records Maybe we could swing this over to the Crown Thread cause it gets involved OK
2 retired HD needlenose logging trucks from early 70's
Hayes HD Another one.Taken last fall
Skadill; HD long hood model? Here are a few pics of ex. Ted Leroy HDX dump truck - small tires looks stupid at her(my opinion)
Yup,good eye there.A whole 3 inches longer!
Hayes HD yet another,taken last fall
I really like that one. Alum. wheels, makes it look really nice, wants to be loved again.
Some close up pics of Steve's WHD showing compensator bar.
More pics of Steve's WHD - she is outstanding
Steve that is nice work, I don't think it looked that good new. Your passion for Hayes trucks really shows there.
Yes indeed, that has to be the finest looking WHD ever!
vary nice truck looks good keep it in good shape.
Another Hayes HDX - this is Lake Lemare truck unit T349. I think truck is ex HFP unit T433
Lineham Logging Hayes Awaiting sale in a couple days.
Skadill Very good post Thank You for tracking them for us Cant help but wonder what they will go for Be nice to see all three stay together nice flat haul on paved roads But the thing is those old girls would still go to the top of the mountain and down the other side
getting uglier with age no hood pic taken a year and a half ago,intact pic from well before then.
Here some pics of Thompson Truckings HDX unit #5. It is hauling a lowbed. I wonder if Thompson Trucking have other off highway logging trucks beside this HDX and the CL350ST I posted pictures of at Mack CL350 thread. Does anyone know?
If I am not mistaken, that is old H-321.
I'm going to try and get some video of it working this week, so we shall see. All depends on weather and time. Hopefully we get some wet so I can get the time to get up there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vNNdCfz6g
Yes that is old M&B unit #H321 - now Dorman Timber unit #126
Hayes HD dump truck. Owner unknown. Pics were taken at WFP Gold River shop area
IPL Hayes trucks H17 and H151? at Sarita, H151 at camp B and some other Hayes at Sarita
Torkel H; Great pictures. Pic 5 shows Dave Mills 3 HDX. H151 is old M&B #H320 preloader. HFP rebuilt her to standard logging truck.
Here are a few pics of one of Dave Mills HDX logging - he has at least 3 maybe 4 Hayes HDX - maybe someone can add further information
Old Hayes-new paint Taken a couple months ago.Truck is probably over twice as old as its Cat Rock box
One LLL Hayes HDX truck unit #T331. She looks to be in pretty good shape
Dave Mills Hayes HDX unit #6 still going strong
Methinks I see air-to-air and a yellow motor in the T331 pic.
Dave Mills Hayes HDX unit #8. She is still going strong
Very old Hayes HDX from 1953-54. Original a BCFP truck - now a IPL water truck
Squamish Machine I took a spin up to Squamish today - beautiful day for a motorbike ride. I went down 'Logger's Lane' and spotted this old Hayes parked at the front of a property. I went in and talked to the owner who gave me his blessing to poke around. The company was something called 'Highway 99 Trucking' and they mostly had on road units. He said the plan was to put a big box from a KW850 on the back of the Hayes and let it haul stone around. He had a three axle Kenworth there with an associated box, but he said that it couldn't handle the grades that the old Hayes would. As you can see the front bunk has been removed for its new role. I couldn't find a builder's plate on it.
Is that in Langis' yard? I see his truck in the background in the first pic. Maybe Spitzair could get some more info on that truck,or I'll try to when Im down there next week.
As I wandered around, I saw a truck with what would be 'Langis' on the door - me thinks. It was only about a half mile from town on Logger's Lane. I assumed the place was owned by someone else.
jackd; Nice pics. I saw at same spot in july 2010. This is old M&B unit H110. Later Timbermill truck - they put in the N14 engine. Colour scheme of Timbermills truck was this "christmas" colours. I cant remember if this unit was Timbermill H16, H17 or H18. Maybe HDX knows.
H110 is it? I checked the existing equipment lists on the M & B thread and I can't see her there. So this might be a Port Alberni machine back in the day? I sure would like to see a complete list of where these things first lived. I tried to recall what was at Sproat Lake Division back in my time, but my memory is starting to fade.
Yes it came to Franklin River Div. in 1972. I posted pics of 2 of her sisters; H112 now a yellow ramp truck operated by a local contractor in Port Alberni and H107 or H108(sorry alzheimer light ) I'll have to look through my notes. That truck later became HFP unit #T1036.
Hayesno1 H112 ramp truck has now been sold to a contractor in the Campbell River area. H107 became T1036 and is still for sale last I heard H110 came to Franklin River Division new and the first driver was Johnny Dojack s/n 4888 Delivered May 3 1972 Of that series H107 is still around H108 was cut up H109 was transferred to PtMcNeil Division and is still around H110 is pictured here H111 was cut up and H112 is now a ramp truck jackd We will do a truck # for Sproat and Cameron and Franklin as soon as I get time OK Sorry but it will only be of the Hayes variety
Thank you HDX. For some reason I seem to remember H108 & H109 as being spares at Sproat Lake, back in the day or was that H08 & H09..... I hope that you get this list going sometime but seeing as we are in the nicest part of the year, I don't expect to see it until the fall! I'll be heading over to Port a few times next month. When do you guys have your big truck show at the old mill? I wouldn't mind seeing these restored trucks that I've seen pictures of.
Jackd; Here pics of some old M&B trucks still going strong all though #H107 is for sale(see HDX post above). First truck is Dave Mills #7. This is second last Hayes truck that was built. When new she went to M&B QCI Div. as #H34(photo credit HDX). Next picture shows ex #H112 now a ramp truck. Next #H110 in Squamish - same truck you took pictures a week ago. Then #H107 at "The Beach" and last is showing #H109 with Pacific Cab - now WFP truck operating in Port McNeill.
Red & White Maybe I'm biased but I always think these old Hayes trucks look best in the old M & B colours - I still remember when they brought that paint scheme into service back in the '60s. I'm hoping to get over to PA next month and take the road from Cowichan through to the Franklin River area and onward to have a look for equipment. I'll be taking the camera along of course.
I'm with you on that jackd. As far as I am concerned all equipment looks better in red and white. I knew the end was coming for MB when they stopped painting their equipment the company colours.
I'm Glad I Missed The Final Days. I still remember the time when Noranda bought out much of the stock in M & B in around 1980 - the guys weren't too happy when that happened. I remember guys drawing the Noranda logo in the dirt below the MacBlo doubletree logo on the doors of the pickup trucks. The comments that went with those new logos weren't too flattering. But at least Noranda didn't change the colours and eventually gut the company as that large American giant did. I did a double take as I cruised down the road in Squamish last week when I saw that red HDX - it was kind of behind some trees but that old M & B paint shade just grabbed my attention real quick. I must have enjoyed working for that company more than I thought back in those days. DBDLS - where did you used to work? Out in my neck of the woods? Did Trakloader give you that little something that I printed off down here a few months ago?
Been parked for a long time now, and still for sale
Hayes HD Taken last fall
2 pics of Hayes HDX sn 5540 with cat 3408, 6 speed automatic 91000 lb rears 14 ft bunks. This truck was auctioned in 2007 or 2008. Does anyone know her present status? Sorry about poor quality of pictures.
WOW Hayesno1 Last time we saw her was at Hayes Forest Yard That is old MacMillan& Bloedel Unit H154 from Sproat Lake Division She was transferred to Franklin in the late 90s and went with us to Hayes Forest when the big takeover happened and then low bedded out and that was the last we saw of her till now Unit H154 s/n 5540 delivered to Sproat Lake Division Aug 7 1973 I seem to remember she had a bad vibration in her and both Franklin and Sproat shops had chased it but never came up with anything. This was AFTER the 3408 was installed and those engines caused a lot of grief with vibrations. Good post Hayesno1!!!!
HDX; Thank you for your great information. I could not recornize her before I compare her with a few pics of her in her right/correct red and white colors. She was a beauty and for sure I want to know her present status. I think I have posted these pics at MB thread before. This is M&B #H154. When pics were shot truck was parked at HFP in Duncan as their unit #T8074. Somewhere I got more pics of her - I just wonder where
Top R/H Picture Here's one that was posted recently - a front shot of her with I think 'Blacky Haracka' standing in front. I remember both of them well from my time there.
Hayes HDX sn 4016 Hayes HDX sn #4016 with 60 ton Hayes trailer sn #4015. Unit was auctioned in 2007/08 as I recall - never seen it since. Anyone know her present status? This might be same unit I shot pictures of at Cameron Div. 2010
Shot From Last Year I borrowed this shot from someone on Northern Vancouver Island, who posts things on a motorbike site. Anybody have any details? Truck number is the T-330.
Another... Same source as the last shot. What do you think is happening here? I think the old truck driver isn't too pleased to see these boys out in his area. Anyone know the truck?
This is a Lake Lamere Logging truck. I have posted a few pics of her at this thread. The yellow truck belongs to Dystant from Campbell River. This is unit #21. He has several Hayes HDX and KW 850.
Some Hayes Sorry for few pic's and bad quality, hope I have not posted these before... First two is Kip Brown no 6, in Gold River, next (with Madill 009) unknown in GR, next Beban Logging Head Bay and last Olympic, Tahsis.
One of Dennis Dystants trucks, I'm guessing over near Zeballos? I think they're hauling over there. I'll ask his guys hauling out at Eve on Monday. Dennis has another Hayes there, plus two KW 850s.
I think Dennis got at least 4 or 5 HDX - I'll have to check unit numbers. He has a special trailer - white with blue Hayes colours. I better find pic of trailer and post it.
TorkelH; I think they are great pics. Did you take those pics this year? I have not seen the HDX with lowboy from GR before - must be some contractor. Beban HDX is new to me as well. When I went to Head Bay in 2007 I did not see anything beside Dystant trucks comming down - they were heading back to CR cause the strike.
Dennis Dystant HDX unit #14. Pics were taken at Head Bay and at Dennis shop in Campbell River. As far as I know Dystant got at least 5 HDX. They are numbered #3, 12, 14, 21, & 22. He might have more. He has a few KW 850s as well. They are unit #1, 10, 17 & 33. I have not seen any Pacifics in his fleet. Maybe someone can ad further information. Pic #4 - look in background you can see Dennis white and blue Hayes trailer.
Hayes Clipper with an unknown yarder on it and I don't know what size of engine this is, can you please answer my questions?
Looks like a 8-71, with an old cable throttle.
It is for sure an 8V71N but that is not a cable throttle Look close and you will see the throttle shaft has the return spring on the back side of it YUP 310 HP of pure power
So what you are saying is that this is a good motor? (I don't don't know that much about these engines.)
The engine has a lot of power, and should be easy to work on as it doesn't require a scanner to diagnose problems. Still lots of these dinosaurs running around, parts maybe tough to find?
If you saw the truck, it's not worth it. Here is a smashed up HD 20 feet away from it.
Looks like someone took all the parts they needed to get their truck/ trucks mobile and a few parts left over. Appears as though you know where they parked the trucks prior to them stripping them down.
They were good engines in their day, but most of 'em leaked a lot of oil. Pretty easy to add a few horsepower just by bolting on different components, such as injectors, etc. We used to call the 8V71 a double breasted Yamaha, because they were 2-stroke, with a V configuration.
Outside Coulson Yard Saw this sad old girl outside the front gate of the Coulson yard in Port Alberni - Friell Lake Logging. Anyone know the history on her?
Jackd; Sorry not much beside post 113 - 114 and 115 at this thread
Another Mesachie Shot There's quite the collection of equipment at Mechachie Lake. I really didn't crawl through anything looking for data plates, because I didn't want to irritate anyone or shorten my travelling that day.
jackd All those trucks belong to Gordi Neva He does a great job of keeping all his trucks running and looking pretty good The Neva Family is very well known in the Cowichan area and has been in the trucking/forest industry forever
Great Trip I picked the weather well as I headed up from the south end of the Island. Nothing much was going logging wise at Jordan River or Port Renfrew so I kept heading north on my bike. The road from Renfrew to Mesachie is a treat. The real fun starts when you head off on the gravel west of Youbou. The first real sign of logging equipment was at Mesachie. Pic is of my dusty machine.
I thought it might be a good idea to drag up these shots from the above mentioned posts. I see someone has been playing with the radiator since last summer. When you took your pics it was at Cameron shop, now it's over by the former Sproat Lake Div. shop - actually parked in front of Coulson.
Hayes Dump Truck Taken a couple months ago
Hayes Trailer Saw this at a friends place today, do not know the year but must be pretty old with the wooden reach
1969 hd Got the truck home now,cleaned it up a bit and now the fun starts
skimoe55 Nice finds The 6 ton trailer was sold to "AJ Cope" new in 1948 very nice example of a single axle logging trailer from that era, As for the HD well it speaks for itself straight as a pin
John Langis
Hayes HDX dump truck named "Ruthie" (unit #29). Owner is A. Wood Bulldozing from Campbell River. AWB has a fleet of Pacific and Hayes dump trucks used for building logging roads. I have not seen her since 2005. Does anyone where she is about now?
A very old Hayes HD with off set cab and loader. Very nice looking truck
More pics of same truck
Hayesno1 This truck was sold to a guy in Port Alberni a few years ago He cut the loader off it and then it sat for a while then one of the contractors in town with a lowbed bought it from him so he made it into a lowbed tractor I think they upgraded the engine to an electronic and maybe an 18 speed trans
Holberg 2011 These are pics taken by a fellow motorbike tourer from Holberg this summer. He's got more shots that I will be posting here. He did a complete upper Island back roads tour earlier this summer.
Hayes Dump Truck Taken last winter at Lakeside Pacific Forest Products,East Harrison Lake old Pretty's Timber Co.yard.
Beaver Cove Sign on the pole says Ted LeRoy Trucking. I spotted the Hayes in it so I decided to plunk in this thread.
A few I found the other day
Same trucks
Zebellos Not sure where to put these but to continue my fellow rider's photo journey from Northern V.I. going, I'll throw them here. Recently taken in Zebellos
Nice one jackd M54 6X6 probably has the Continental R6602 gas engine in her-- Some had the 250 Cummins Shame to see her used as a Gate Guard These were the size trucks that were used as convoy security in Viet Nam as "Gun Trucks"
Yeah, I enjoyed those shots too, HDX. Not really Hayes thread material but they seemed to have presence. Speaking of presence - those 4 (possibly 5) different HDX trucks posted by 69Hayes on the previous posting could use some identification. HDX - who was this 'Malaspina' hauling outfit that owns these trucks? Any idea who owned them to start with and where were these shots taken?
jackd, these trucks are owned by Darren Brown of Powell River, he is the son of Kip Brown of Kip Brown Trucking, they also own and operate Areo Parts and a tire shop here in Powell River
69Hayes - does this Kip Brown/Darrel Brown connection also happen to own a machine shop in Powell River somewhere near the airport? The name of the company sounds familiar to me from when I used to visit a very good friend of mine who was a machinist in that shop. We're talking 30 years ago. Those were great shots, by the way. Are these units being robbed of parts to keep others operating or are things pretty quiet up there?
Yes , that's the same place, Areo Machine Shop used to be the name,not sure whats going on with these trucks but in a article about the company Darren says that the old Hayes just keep on running so maybe we will see them on the back roads again
Okay that brings back a story my friend told to me.... It would seem that the machine shop (yes the name rings a bell) did a lot of work in support of the logging operation and this story relates to the self loading trucks that they used to run into town for repair work. On occasion, they would forget about the height of the loader above the cab as they drove through town. What they left behind them was a trail of mayhem as the power lines crossing the street were severed as the trucks made their journey. The cops would follow this trail of destruction trying to discover who was responsible and would invariably show up at the doors of the machine shop asking questions. The boys inside would disavow any knowledge as to how or who might have caused all this damage..... I was told that it happened more than once.
how is the logging going in BC Canada
July 23/11 - Cameron Yard Hayes chunk truck parked in the Cameron Yard - says Van ? Pole. HDX help me on this one - is this a defunct company?
Flat out here on the Island. Working up to mid Dec.
jackd Scope out Posting#77 on the self loading logging truck thread She is ALL there Also the truck is owned by Jack Pickering from Whiskey Creek Has not moved in many moons
It was Jack Pickering who I stumbled upon while I did my little jaunt through the Cameron yard in July. We hit it off quite well because we both have the same first names. He was spending his Saturday changing the front leaf on one of his Kenworths and needed a reason to quit working for a spell. Quite the character. So this old HDX was probably where he began his meteoric rise to become the owner of around 10 hauling trucks. He gave me a good rundown of the industry and the 'big auction' and how it affected the Alberni Valley - and where he suspected it was all going. He told me of how the Western Forest Products quota was suddenly multiplied by 4 this year due to demand and how the big scramble was now taking place to find equipment to fill it. Of how new operators were starting up and going broke just as fast as they tried to take advantage of the upswing. I told him to be careful changing that leaf spring, no one was there to help him if he got into trouble. He's part of a dying breed.
69hayes; thanks for sharing those pics, but sad to see those 3 trucks in such condition. Unit #18 got the old HDX doors with square windows and so has #19 on left side Here some pics of #25 in summer 2007. Pics were taken at Sproat Lake Div. This one got Pacific/IHC doors.
Another Malaspina HDX truck - unit #21 looks very tired. Summer 2007 at Sproat Lake Div.
Does anyone have any S/N's for these Malaspina HDX's. I'm guessing that the #25 got barged back to Stillwater - where it sits now. It looks much worse for the wear now. The #21 - was it scrapped on site?
Hayes HD Taken last winter,also appears on the hayes truck club.org,we travel together.
Those Hayes Trucks with the Pacific doors were Rob Wigmores trucks when he owned North Bute Transport He had a shop in Nanaimo where he converted those HDXs to the Pacific doors If memory serves me he did three of them Very nice installs but its all what works for you Dennis Dystant #22 is another one of the trucks. I wonder if Kip Brown kept the HDX Pre-Load truck he bough some years ago There is a story behind it and when I last saw it she was being worked on (rear ends were being removed) Is she still over there????
Is this the one your talking about Steve
69hayes That one is about a 1964-65 HDX with a self loading trailer The Browns bought a 1970 exBCFP HDX at a R/B Auction that came from Renfrew Division unit number 6-238 These were what we all call "Winch Trucks" because this was BCFPs style of pre load truck They had a winch mounted up on top of the water tank and used the folding type reach trailers I always thought these trucks were just plain CLASSY They looked really neat goin down the mainline also they were 86 inch track and that in itself was different because everybody else had 100 inch track trucks or more commonly referred to as standard track trucks Last time I saw her she was white and a funny yellow but had the 5th wheel still on her Never saw the trailer but I know she was sold with one cause I took pics of her prior to going to Vancouver Thanks for lookin though
Thats a perfect color scheme
Here are the s/n of the HDX's in the Browns yard. #18 HDX 38-98 s/n 4052581 #19 HDX s/n 0033912 #25 HDX 9033569 Thanks to HDX for pointing out where to look on the frame for the numbers when theres no data plate in the cab. got the same pics this summer as 69Hayes does. Also got one of the lake haul trucks numbers HDX 33-80 s/n 4122689 Fill us in on these Steve.
More Shots From Head Bay More shots from the North Island taken by a fellow rider. Clyak Contracting Ltd. - are they still around?
Greatwestcam; thanks for getting and posting s/n. They can be very hard to find on the HDX models(to much paint). Yes let see what Steve can add.
69hayes; Great pics from Browns yard. The 1964 HDX with a self loading trailer #18 is very interesting. Please do you have more pics/close up pics of the self loading trailer/system? I would really like to build a HDX with a self loading trailer.
Hayesno1 If tou are gonna build one then do the BCFP HDX just because they look so COOL They used the two different types the early ones had the low mount winch and the later ones had the high mount winch AND when the trailer was being loaded on the truck it looked like it was all wrong and was going to fall off caose the trailer stands straight up in the air
59 Hayes HD 27-70 Some pics of an oldie that HDX mentioned before of some HDs with Rolls Royce engines, Andy still has two, this one still orginal. Number welded into front bumper reads M 64, painted door #16 if that means anything.
Greatwestcam Well Done Here goes Trakloader will love this HDX 38-98 S/N 4052581 M&B Justkatla unit H162 NTC380 with Fuller Main and Spicer 9341 aux BD90,000 rears delivered April 17/64 HDX 45-95 S/N 0033912 delivered to RW Saunders Jan 14/70 12V71 with 59-60 Allison trans and 70,000rears was his unit #19 painted his colors GM Yellow with green stripe HDX 45-98 S/N 9033569 delivered to Hayes Northern Jan 23/68 was a self loading trailer unit Not a pre-load just a self loading trailer Truck 12V71 and 5960 Allison with 90,000 rears HDX 33-80 S/N 4122689 delivered to North Western Trucking Sept 25/64 NTC 335 Cummins with Fuller Main and spicer 8341 aux 46-40 wide track rears 12:00X24 tires 69hayes hope you looked at these serial numbers cause yours is only a couple away from one of these Kind of like long lost sisters LOL HDX
Greatwestcam Keep em comin This was Menzies Bay Divisions H115 1959 vintage just knew I saw her somewhere before!!!!!
Wow, HDX you got all the goods on these old girls Got a few more that I found this summer HDX 42-88 s/n 5062624 Sladey Timber ltd, has different looking front hubs from the norm. still looks ready to go logging though HD 32-70 s/n 4038097 gravel truck, looks like it was up in the QC as the name on the door shows.
Hd 32-70 Old slave to the grind
WOW! I want Morreau Trucking No. 39! I think I have a picture of her from many years ago here somewhere.... And nice to see H-162 is still around..... WOW!
Greatwestcam The HDX is 5062824 Caught me off guard Was delivered to Curley Marshall Logging new June 11/65 12V71N 5960 Allison and 70,000rears Im working on the dumptruck as we speak
73 Hayes HD dump truck Ex-Weyerhauser truck with 171,000 original miles.350 cummins 13 speed.serial#4754.Taken last weekend.
The other 59 Hayes HD Andy's unit #21 was in with the other group of 59's. Pull the RR engine out and put the cummins in and a 16 yard rock box on, worked for years then put a fifth wheel and a dump trailer on to keep up with the sort debrie. Said they still use it HDX where do you find s/n on these smaller trucks if the data tag is missing? Is it stamped on the frame rail somewhere?
Wow For sure a test here YUP the HDX is for sure a ex Curley Marshall unit--- 5062624 was an HD BUT 5062824 is a HDX 42-88 with narrow track rear diffs and 70,000 lbs Somebody has to go see if in fact the truck HAD a 12-71 in her at one time and a Allison trans From the brkts on the front of the water tank I would say she did Look and see if the oil cooler WAS mounted up under the front bumper at one time After all it is and was very common to pull the Green Leakers out and repower with more economical engines and with the cost of an Allison to fix it was just as easy to put in a set of sticks The HD kept me up till the wee hours My best shot is it is serial #6033097 and that was an HD Dump delivered to Joes Trucking and if memory serves me right Morreau ended up with all those 4 trucks Trakloader would know WHAT DO YOU THINK?????
Look R/H side behind cab on frame rail where third air tank was mounted and also on left front frame rail almost under the cab mount bracket or just slightly forward
I think you are right on the money, the s/n from the pics are not the clearest to read (sorry) but what you have found all makes sense. Both of these units are around Pender Harbour area, maybe Scott can get more details for us.
Hmmmm...... You are likely right HDX, remember the old HD I salvaged the tag from in QCC, it was from Joe's Trucking. Wonder if Joe's Trucking was not owned by Joe Morreau.... ?? I must ask Dad.........
I think he is on the case as we speak OK Trakloader see what you can come up with on your end sounds right so far
Greatwestcam; Great pictures love that old HD. Mostly you will find #sn stamped on left frame apox. between door and front wheel. I will see if I got a close up picture with #sn stamped into frame. Here is a Hayes HD 33-78 #4712. Maybe Steve can add some info - we have to keep him busy.. LOL Pics were taken 2000 in Squamish. Truck is still there but in very very poor condition. Jackd; If you go back to Squamish I can tell you where to find her. Look close in pic 2 and 4 you can see a retired Euclid/Terex logging truck. It still got it's sadle. Sorry I did not take any pics of that unit.
Another HD from Squamish. These pics were taken in Y2000. #sn is 4166. And again another Euclid/Terex is parked in the background.
At the scrappers? Saw this one in CR next to the recyclers, to bad its nosed up to a bank of blackberries or I'd got a better pic. this an old bcfp 36-120 unit? Tried to get the data tag but didnt come out.
Greatwestcam; You have been around - for sure you should go out more Here is an old HD with RR engine. It is being restored in Port Alberni. I don't know present status. I think owner is Alberni Valley Museum.
Picture of my serial number location
HDX; Well I would like to build both types. Sadly so far I have not been able to find any Hayes HDX with self loading trailer or the winch type. They have all been converted to sanders or fire trucks.
Thanks guys on the s/n location, will be trying it out next time I go ''Hayes Hunting" lol. Hayesno1, thats a sweet looking HD project with the RR engine, hope we can get some updates on it!
Another old Hayes HD This one has undoubtedly sat more years than it ever worked.Has the oldest style Ritchie Bros auction sticker I've ever seen,still on it.Taken last winter
Hdx 33-80 Heres an oldie, I tried to get a pic of the little "park" lamp on top of the head light, were these only on the early trucks? As this one is a 64. s/n 4122689 always thought they looked cool.
Greatwestcam Really great post Sold new to North Western Trucking LTD Delivered Sept 25/64 Very straight truck Headlites are original "Guide" Hard to find and expensive to replace now Front bumper has both side pieces filled in with flat steel plates and cover up the original "I"Beam that is there when new Still a save truck came with an NTC335 and Fuller Main (5A-1120) and an 8341A aux with wide track 46-40s also came with a Thompson driveline retarder Man you sure find em Keep beatin the bush's
We must have matched cameras Cam
Funny that we didn't bump into one another lol. Good to know if I missed something that you can get the goods
73 Hayes
I was just looking at that truck the other day 69Hayes and was thinkin i got to come back and get pictures but ya beat me too it
Couple more Hayes
The blue and white HDX is an ex Bob Stephens truck from Campbell River Sad to see her in this state Hopefully she will be refurbished and put back into service This truck had sticks in her if memory serves me right
Just a single stick now Steve
Yes sad to see old Thompson's truck ending up like that. Here a few pics of her in 2006 at Sproat Lake Div. shop.
Heres a few pic's from a game my son was playing
Thats cool! What is the name of it? I would love to try it out.
Heres a link to the site http://www.extremetrucker2.com/ has all the info on the game
That's something, S64 in the background flying bigger logs than it can handle! Any 044's?
Here is another one from CR area, woundering if the checker plate roof is from a repair or could it have come from factory? HDX, did you say some went oversea's that had factory roofs like this?
Has a faded Lineham Logging decal on it.Truck probably did time around Harrison Lake
Hayes Dump truck taken this last winter.this is one of 2 similar trucks painted at the same time and same color.The other got posted months ago but looks near the same
This is a WHD - 450 model sn# 6126
TimberWest Hayes HDX shared photos.
The WHD above was the second truck of a 4 truck order by Kuala Lumpur They were sold through AirMac International and delivered by CanTrans Services LTD Went to Indonesia as logging trucks with 40Ton Hayes logging trailers BD91,000 rears and 5960 Allison Trans 8V71T GM Engines with Schwitzer air starters 14:00X24 tires and no water tank--Hayes supplied a special cab guard for them. As for the checker plate cab roofs--I talked to John Rotar who was the chargehand of the Hayes Cab Section many years ago and he told me they developed this as a special option for severe service such as the kind of work these trucks would be exposed to. There was a number of trucks that these cabs were used on He said it was a real tough job to get them dialed in but when finished they were really something They even had a special cab number for them 6860AKI. Back in the mid 80s there was a number of Pacifics and Hayes's brought back to Canada by a used equipment dealer here in BC and these trucks might have been part of that shipment I know of three of them that surfaced here and went through R/B auctions over the years
HDX; Great info re. WHD export trucks. Here a few pics of Lake Lemare Logging HDX unit #T349 last summer in Port McNeill
Hayes From work,to death row,to saved,to bathed,to run again.This one is part of the same deal as the restored P10 earlier followed.Taken a year and a half ago and then a few months ago.Was a Jay-Vee Logging truck,then Christianson Bros Logging at north Stave Lake,now Pitt Lake I think. Sorry,this was a duplicate photo post I did earlier,I dont know how to delete though,just the photos deleted,sorry,have lots of other ongoing stuff to share though!
Skadill Great pics Tons of potential there!!!! Sure wish them well the resto Hope they can pull that off cause the Pacific looks really sharp (for a Pacific) LOL
CR Metal Fabricators Some old pics showing some custom work built at our shop well before my time.
CR Metal Fabricators More
Rock Truck This old girl looks like its still putting in a good days work!
Link to You Tube - another Hayes video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3tGq2Jqag&feature=bf_prev&list=ULZXhCfj9nq14&lf=mfu_in_order McMillan Bloedel at Port Hardy Trucks H235 S/N 6053010 H211 S/N 5092889
Page 20 of this thread 1st picture the blue HD or it's sister is for sale here in McMurray as I have seen the 2 trucks together in a picture many years ago near Kamloops in a yard. It is missing the trailer but is bascally complete with the exception of the headlight buckets. Any idea what it is worth and who other than Hayes Truck Org has info on the trucks?
P Kennedy , that blue HD was sold at the Surrey RB auction in the early 90s. Was owned by Roy Doyle in Sechelt. Do you have any pics of the one in your area?
I can get some pictures and want some anyways and have the opportunity to buy it. But I was told the owner who was trying to get it certified in Alberta to work it passed away while it was in the storage yard. Now this brings some more questions about the actual ability for the storage yard to sell it for owed storage fees and where is all the paperwork. They have already allowed parts to be taken off of the truck. Any info would be good but the Hayes Truck Org only does Outlook which I dont use and no phone numbers are available. I was going to get the serial number but had other things to accomplish today.
If u get a chance, post a couple pics. And if u get the serial # perhaps Hdx could find some more history of the truck. What name is on the door now?
OK today I got some OK pictures and I am sure ther is a procedure to get them on here. Without poking around I could not see a serial number in the location on the frame rail below the steering box. The storage yard has legal possesion due to unpaid storage for 4+ years and can pick it up for $1500.00. Name on the left lower side of the cab is A. Doga, BC plate was active when the truck came to Alberta.
Dont let this truck get away For 1500 bones . Post a few pics of it if you can. go and see the guys that holds the paper on it and make sure you get first refusal if in fact it does go up for sale Post some pics. Look on the left hand door top corner-- and the top right hand side of the dash for the brass plate with info on it such as engine etc could also be screwed onto the base of the drivers seat right at eye level when you open the door. Otherwise the serial number will be stamped right around the left front spring (rear hanger) on the frame rail You are looking for a 4 digit or seven digit number If you can post a pic or two maybe it will help. Whatever you want we will try and help you with OK
OK folk I am a dummy what URL is you own computor to get the pictures to load onto the forum?
Hd Some pics of an old girl at the show this summer. didn't get the whole truck for some reason? Was looking at how some HD's with Detroits had the fender knotched out for the exhaust and others didn't, wounder why? was it for dual stacks maybe?
OK lets try photomagic.
A few more.
That's a great looking HD, can I steal the pics for the Hayes website? is it just me, or is that a really short wheel base for a logging truck? The HD flat deck from my show, good to see it show up there, used to be owned by an electrical contractor in 100 Mile until a friend happened to get it. That truck was the only "issue" with the show, while backing into the tent it lost a hydraulic steering hose... Hopefully next year it will be back, with a little work done, I do have the serial number somewhere...
I had to resize the pics for the forum but if you would like I can email you the originals for better quality. There was 3 Hayes HD's in Sundre AB owned by Bill Edgar who passed away last year, any idea if they were saved? Don Robinson out of Sundre also deceased had an HD with a jimmy and budd disc wheels had it for sale complete and running with pole trailer. Up near Caroline AB there was a Clipper in a farm yard cut off behind the cab in beautiful condition complete with dual stacks and chrome air cleaners.
HD in AB. HD found still working the yard from time to time, like most around here, has the deck and a winch for moving tanks and things around. s/n 9113804
The clipper that was cut behind the cab sounds interesting, I was told of a truck that was nearly complete (restoration) the owner was going to put air ride under it, he told another guy that he could take the original drivers out of it. When the owner came back to the truck a while later, the fellow that was taking the drivers out simply cut the frame, instead of unbolting the drivers - think it was an old Trimac or Agressive transport truck. Not too sure about the other ones, my Hayes knowledge is rather limited - but this is something that I am working on If you have higher res pictures of the other truck send them along and i will post them. The big question is, did it follow you home?
Great weekend, Hayes HD frame size 10" X 3/8" like a KW or are they special rolled? T1 or mild steel? Saw that really nice restored red HD with the sleeper headed South out of Edmonton around noon today. What are you restorers doing for the double rail corrosion clean up?
A few more!
Wow some great looking trucks there! A lot of familiar looking trucks, especially the crane with the sleeper in the second post... For my 64, we beat the top flange to loosen up the rust between the rails and blew it out with an air compressor, the a bit of heating and beating and we knocked the flanges down as flat as we could get them. I say we, but all I did was give my friend some money to do it
Greatwestcam 9113804 was sold through Hayes Western Oct 2/69 Was Vermillion Red and White band 46-40 rears NHC250 Cummins TO 905 main and 8341G aux Two trucks ordered at the same time both spec'd out the same 9113805 both trucks came with 11X22 tires Cab and Chassis only
P Kennedy-- Hayes frames were 9 inch and 10 3/4 only way to get the rust out is to split the frame and spread the rails Cut the rear crossmember bolts off nip all the chair assy bolts off and roll the whole bogie out--then spread the rails apart then start with a needle scaler or sand blast both inner and outer rails then POR 15 the whole thing. Trouble with doing this is usually the frame inserts are in tough shape and need to be replaced. Vic Rowlinson and I did this to my 72 HD and I had all new inserts bent and crossmembers so it was like starting new. Changed the rearend housings(found a mint set) and everything went in new Brakes bearings seals drums and lining and all the other stuff. Lots of work but sure put an end to problems later on You will find that with time the top rail will actually split from the rust. It will always be there. I know of guys that cut their trucks up because they wouldnt pass inspection anymore due to rust issues in the frame
HDX, what can you tell me about serial#1072265. It looks like a KW big 6 tail clip was spliced in on this truck. This truck was headed south.
Thanks HDX, allways nice to find that info out. Here is another HD 23-48 s/n 7013221, has a 6-71 Detroit in it.
P Kennedy 1072265 was sold through Sinnerud Equip to Florio & Strookow Was a HD 25-48 Delivered July 61 250 Cummins Spicer 8251 main and 8341A aux SQDD rear ends Truck came as a logger and the trailer was an 18 ton Hayes s/n 1072266 This truck pictured above was restored by Tristan a friend of ours in Alberta for a customer Sure did a nice job on her
Greatwestcam She was a "Bannister" unit sold to Bannister Corporation in Edmonton HD 23-48 Delivered Nov 7/66 6-71N Spicer 8552-A main with 8341G aux 10:00X22 tires Timken SQD rears with 6.44 ratio Top speed was 48 MPH Truck was Vermillion Red with black bumper and fenders and frame also came with a Fruehauf 5th wheel and 2 65 gal fuel tanks WHAT ELSE ??????
Good one, lets try this one 1957 HD 21-50 s/n 7081853 its a single axle, but dont know if it came this way. It and two others are up for sale
Greatwestcam she was a tandem Delivered Sept 18/57 sold to West Coast Transsmission Co LTD c/o 1155 West Georgia Street Vancouver BC Double frame 190 inch WB 2 65 Gal fuel tanks 4 component guages SRDD rears with 9:21 ratio Spicer 8051 main and 8341A aux also came with a Austin 36 inch 5th wheel and subframe ,Bolster, Winch and PTO built by Willock Truck was painted -- Cab top and hood were White Chassis and lower part of cab was Coral Flame Red Bumper was red and white stripes From the pics I would say she is a survivor alright Cab and doors are still original (no vent windows) hood and rad also very original NEW Fenders though cause everybody wanted the quad headlites You can see where the original ones were and the 4 bolt headlite guards on top were also removed This is a VERY collectable truck Hard to believe that they keep poppin up This is for sure a good runaround truck for somebody WE BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON HER
Well here how she looked in spring 2008. Time quickly takes it share.
Hd 31-76 Here is the third one of the group, 1970 HD 31-76 s/n 0013908. has a triple frame, lot heavier duty then the others, NTC 335, 5&4, 4640 diffs and 12x24 rubber. looked all orginal, and all 3 are for sale.
Yea I drove for bob in bute and also in chamiss bay the baby hayes was also so know as "old sam' or #7 and # 10 was know as the "Brute" # and #5 had no name that I remember And yes he was a great guy to work for!!
The black one looks like a classic, asking price?
Greatwestcam Sorry it took so long Just been busy Jim Falkoner and I went and flashed up the old HD that we are trying to refresh for Lyle Ex Elk River Timber #14 Ron Roth was out there and reinstalled the injectors because four of them were seized and Marco Bernar rebuilt them so we finally got to start her up for the first time in a lot of years The old 6-110 sure did sound good after she warmed up Antway here's the skinny on that black HD S/N 0013908 Was delivered to Timberline Nov 13/1969 260 WB NTC 335 s/n 691690 Spicer 8553-B main and 8341-D aux with the Power Tower top mounted on aux was Vermillion Red and Superior White Both trans had the old leather Boots BO-79-A There is very few of these original boots around now they were made by P. Paris and sons the boot makers from Vancouver They also made the leather boot for the power steering ram for Hayes Rear ends are 46-40 8.08 ratiogiving her a top speed of 62 MPH She came with the 100 gal flat fuel tank behind the cab 12/24 volt with series Parallel switch Funny thing is she came with a 14 inch clutch No Brushguard right from the factory Thats her story
Thanks again HDX, every truck has it's story, glad that you are able to tell us where it began. the black one has an asking price of $4000. same for the green one. I'll see if I can get some more s/n for you, like the one I helped restore, would like to know her story.
Greatwestcam The plans for the 90th Anniversary of Hayes is set for the July 1st weekend 2012 at the Fall Fair Grounds here in Port Alberni It will be for ALL trucks NOT just Hayes We are trying to get ANY Hayes --running or not to attend as well as all other trucks There is no admittance fees There is a place for overnite camping on site as well There is plans to bring in some of the Pacific P16s as well as some HDXs One of the things being thrown around right now is the thoughts on bringing in a couple of highway loggers with loads and take the loads off them and reload it onto an off-highway unit to show people what its like. Things are moving right along but we are open to any suggestions that anybody would like to see or ideas you think would work We are going to invite all the Truck Dealers so they can show off their units Will keep you all updated as things progress
HDX, thats sounds great, will book the vacation time monday and spread the word!
HDX; Great news! Looking forward to attend the 90th Anniversary of Hayes. Here a few pics - sorry poor quality - of 2 different Hayes Clipper 200 chip trucks. I don't know company but trucks were blue and white. They were running full trailers. Pics were taken on Vancouver Island back in the early 80's
Great - you shoulda done that in Victoria or Vancouver! Wish I have the chance to go to Port Alberni next summer!
Good pics Hayesno1 That was one of Howie Davis's Clippers They were based out of Ladysmith He bought the Hayes Clipper 200 that was Ranger Transports truck over on the mainland also. After he bought her from Ranger he took her down and had her painted in his colors (Blue/White) and one of his drivers drove it to the ATHS Convention in Spokane Washington back in 1995 Unfortunately when the market went bad she was snapped up by a guy and he had her painted Yellow /White/Green After a long time just sitting Howie ended up buying her back again and that is the last anybody saw of her We will try and see if she can make it to the Anniversary Show in July She was at the 75th here in Port Alberni so it would only be fair that she makes the 90th
HDX's show sounds very impressive - sadly I can't make it either. If you can't make that show I am hosting one in Cache Creek during the final weekend of July 2012 - there should be a lot of Hayes trucks there with the odd Pacific and some new stuff that hasn't been seen on the show circuit. As 2012 marks the 90th anniversary for Hayes Mfg. I am hoping to get a lot of Hayes representation out - this year my show will be a 'sister' show to HDX's in Port Alberni for those who can't make it to the island.
HDX; Thanks for some great information as usual. Though I am a bit confused. My 3 pics are actually of 2 different Hayes Clipper 200 models - look closely at bumpers. As I recall Howies Clipper that went down to the ATHS Convention in Spokane Washington in 1995 was a Hayes Clipper 100 from 1964 but my memory is not that good anymore..LOL Anyway for sure I hope to see her next year in Port Alberni.
Hayesno1 Yes you are right Howie had several Clippers over the years and I think that a couple were parted out He loved his Hayes and yes the Clipper that he restored WAS a 100 Same as Vic Rowlinsons Only it had the GM 871 I think that about the time you took these pics a friend of ours Bliane Hennig was driving for him and if not actually driving one of the Clippers it would have been the kenworth thanks for keeping things acurate
Classic HD truck converted to ramp truck parked at Cameron Div. summer 2005
Small accident
What the heck did you do?
Pics of HFP unit #T0721. It's a HDX model. Fenders have been replaced
Some pics of a HD highway logger sn#3950 - from 1970 I guess - parked at Campbell River for the last 5-6 years
Not much left of this HD only cab frame and dashboard. Plate says it's a HD 18-60 model from 1955. sn#5091627
Hayesno1 S/N 3950 was originally sold through Hayes Northern Not sure who bought her but she was Burnt Almond and sherry maroon As for 5091627 She was bought by MacMillan& Bloedel Went to Nanaimo River Division Oct/55 Unit # was H90 Rolls Royce She was #3 of an 8 truck order H88 H89 H90 H91 H92 H93 H94 H95 All had serial #s 5091625-32
HDX; Thanks for information, sad to see that there was not much left of #H90 Here a few pics of HFP HDX unit #T0619 summer 2005 at Cameron shop.
Hayes in Interfor colors . HDX may have some info on this truck
couple more
Born2clearcut; Great pics. This must be a BCFP truck as it says unit #6-247 at dashboard; well at least the cab. Truck seems to be standard logging configuration - not a preloader with reach. I'll have to check my notes, but definitely HDX knows her story.. ;-)
Looks like an ex Interfor truck from Narrows inlet. Forshner brothers bought a few trucks off them and brought them to Clowhom falls. Pretty sure Horsman trucking ended up with it.
Yes i'm 99% sure it came from Narrows It was a BCFP truck in Narrows until Fletcher Challenge bought out Narrows , then Interfor took over and rebuilt and painted the truck in the mid 90's
Ok heres the story That truck COULD very well be 6-247 Ex BCFP unit BUT it must have been owned by Rob Wigmore (North Bute Transport)at one time because it was of his style rebuilds Note the Pacific doors on the Hayes cab also the hinged dash as well as the P16 fuel tank between the water tank and the cab This was what he use to do when he rebuilt those trucks Pacific style front fenders and the front bumper was brought out to match the front fenders. Born2clearcut Here is what you were wondering BCFP Truck numbers 6-245 s/n 5529 with 60 ton Hayes trailer # 52-507 and 6-246 s/n 5530 trailer #52-506 were delivered to Malibu Division May 2 1973 Unit # 6-247 s/n 5531 and trailer # 52-508 were delivered to Nekite division May 23 1973 and 6-248 s/n 5532 with trailer # 52-509 was delivered to Narrows Division June 11/73 What is unusual is the fact that all 4 of these trucks were painted YELLOW Keep in mind that in 1967 BCFP changed over to the new colors Orange/White and the Green Stripe and for these trucks to be painted School bus yellow is different 6-245 and 6-246 were painted 2321-2329 yellow and 6-247 and 6-248 were painted 2331-89010 yellow I know its a long winded answer to the question but VERY interesting outcome Somebody HAS to Confirm the serial number now for sure Look on the front frame rail behind the Left front steering tire right where the bulkhead fitting comes through the frame for the front wheel brake air line and you will see the S/N stamped in there Keep in mind that it was common for trucks to be sent to other operations for a while or when they were needed 6-245 and 6-246 ended up down at Gordon River after they were finished at Malibu 6-246 became a linehorse and was eventually sold to IPL and is down in Sarita with us now See what you can find out OK
I looked for the s/n on the frame this summer when I took some pics of this unit, could not find it as the area looked to be machined smooth It has a hyd ram to lift the bunk which is why they bought the truck for low bedding, I know one of the owners, so next time I see him I'll ask about it. I do like how the cab is redone, A/C back when I was driving was only a dream, now adays around here guys wont even go out if its not working!
Good pictures Greatwestcam You can sure see the Pacific influence on this truck Very well done Everything looks well laid out There was a LOT of money spent rebuilding her Note the Quality Trimmers interior kit Must have been a fun job for John over there in Vancouver because he would have had to blend the Pacific door panels and then make the HDX headliner (8 piece) Sure makes them look classy. He use to make all the headliners for Hayes and Pacific both cardboard and padded and he still has all the patterns One of our guys with a 1966 Clipper got him to make a new cardboard roof section to keep the truck 100% original and it looks drop dead perfect Im thinking that it IS 6-247 and that the brass tag was left on there for nostalgia reasons I sure wish they all still had them. While we are on this subject Has anybody seen or know what happened to the ex BCFP truck that went to Pope and Talbot up at Midway???? She was 6-251 from Caycuse Ozzie Nelson from there put the second air horn on her when he drove her Not many BCFP trucks had two of them and it made her stick out If anybody has seen her could you let us know her status Thanx HDX
Pics of Hayes HD (modern type) dump truck running for Lizzie Bay Logging Ltd. Unit #318
Black Hayes HD logging truck for sale at Inland Kenworth in Campbell River summer 2000
Watched a Hayes get towed into Amix today, didn't look too bad, just sitting for a while, was too far for a picture.
Seen this old girl at Tmar yesterday .Square reach and 5950 Allison ,has been looked after, ser# 6126
OOPS should have said V12 and 5960
075 That is pure class See post 703 and 708 Will explain history of that old girl
Combined sander/fire/water Hayes HD truck. Pics were taken summer 2005 at WFP Zeballos Div. Nice truck hopefully she will be or has been saved - sorry no serial number
Blue HDX in Holberg summer 2005. Nice truck
Great pictures and stories on the Hayes trucks. Being a flatlander, I've had no exposure to them, and now I feel the need to go west and try to see a few of them in real life. Their beauty is in their function, and although it's fantastic to see a picture of one restored to what looks like near perfection, it's also nice to see the working trucks wearing their battle scars proudly. I laugh a little when I hear people referring to their Toyotas, Nissans,Chevys,Dodges, and Fords as trucks. I have pickups, and I have trucks, but I don't have anything to compare to these "Real Trucks". I hope there are always a few of you who have the ability and ambition to keep examples of these trucks working or showing, so when my kids and grandkids grow up, they won't confuse Grandma's grocery-getter with a "Real Truck". I'll go back to motorgraders now, but will check back once in awhile to see how things are going. Keep up the great work! smoothoperator no dashes, no periods, just smoothoperator
Hi ya all, very cool thread. Hoping to post some of my pictures at a later date
Trux; welcome to the forum - looking forward to see your pics
had an issue with my pictures being to large to upload,was hoping for some pointers with this problem as i am truckdriver not a computer progammer.haha
You can go to Microsofts site and search and download picture resizer, it's free and simple to use, even I can figure it out.
thanx,i will give it a whirl
Dennis Dystant Trucking Unit 22 - Naka Creek, Summer 2011
Thanks for the new pics, we love the big trucks! Keep 'em coming!
DDT #12 Toba Inlet Fall 2011
I love the new larger pics, GO TRUX GO! Thanks
Hers a couple pic's i came across in my stack of pics . Here we have a 1945-46 Hayes model 13-12 the truck number maybe #150. I tried to track down the date and place they were taken, but i only be guessing by where my grandfather worked around the late 40's to 50's . The truck isn't brand new here it has some war wounds so i'm thinking it was taken in the 50's some time ,so that put him working and living in Harris Creek and also would make it a possible BCFP truck .He started working for BCFP in 1949 . Maybe HDX know's alittle more about this ole girl . enjoy
a couple more ddt trucks,an olsen hayes i believe and an oldy from nass camp bc
Great pictures trux. Here some shared pics of Dystant unit #3
Really like how you get the best mileage out of your camera.You 'get it' when it comes to capturing the feel of the subject.Great pics all around,love the GY hovering above the Truck here too,real post card,thanks Todd
thank u very much skadill. absolutely love your videos. i check your site quite frequently. i grew up in the bush,was out of it for 28 yrs. got back in it last spring.admire and respect all the men and women who made it thru the good and bad. now its my turn
So happy for you you got a second crack at it.I've 'officially' been out as a full time gig since 2006,but have dabbled around it in a small way a few times still.I'd hoof it over to the island in a hurry for a off-highway truck ride though.
well u never know,maybe we'll cross paths on a dusty trail somewhere
This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain the shape of the hinge wood left in the butt of the top log in post #787 above? For the life of me, I can't figure it out.
that is actually three logs at the top. two 'berries' and a twig. i hope that explains it
Kind of hard to tell with these old eyes. I should have noted the separate tags on the butts. Thanks.
glad to be able to help
1948 Hayes The engine was removed to be used in a sawmill years ago.Short video at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/4/r068e5ZZzkk
Skadill; Good to see she is still around, even though she looks very tired. Hopefully she will be saved. Some pictures of HDX model. I think it was for sale way back in 2010 but I am not sure. Maybe someone know if KwatnaTimber still gor her? Lowbed looks like an old BCFP unit.
Hayesno1 That was originally Coulson Preload truck from Port Alberni
HDX; Thank you for information. I never thought it was a preload truck. I took a few close up pictures of truck and today I took a close look at these pics today. Not much to see of preload system but some of the ramp has not been cut off/removed.
Found this hiding away today
I thought that was scrapped - wasn't that originally a Sproat Lake Division machine?
Hayes Overhaul Pouring more life into a warrior of a truck.Taken this week. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
jackd; It is a QCI truck. She is for sale at present time - see ForesTech site
Skadill Gotta get you to repost the truck picture above (posting 800) on the BCFP thread and I will give some details OK
HDX sn#6002 with Detroit 12V71 14 ft bunks went on RB auction Y2006
coment on 3408 cat vibration,they wher informed to use a special drive shaft engine to trans,aspower impulses frome 4cycle more pronounced than 12v71s.but some m&b masters would not listen.as well,over heating was a isue as the rads where not upgraded when repowered.the 1271 rad did not have the flow capacity require.causing cavitation isues.eventually they got the mesage but engines suffered a bad rap wher it was instalation isues.
yblock re-posting 602 ALL of our trucks M&B Sarita and Franklin had the Hayes Dana Torque Elastic drive shafts when upgraded to the 3408 BUT a couple had the Vulcan Drive bolted to the flywheel and the standard 1710 driveshaft The Vulcan drive worked well but not as good as the Torque Elastic and it was somewhat cheaper As for the water flow we found no problem with the cooling temps with the standard HDX rads There was problems with the fiberglass fans as opposed to the steel fan The fiberglass ones would distort at low speeds and high RPMs when pulling adverse in 1st gear just above a converter stall because they were not pulling enough air through the rad These were a real problem after they got older and they would come unglued and one blade would break off and take out the rad
Cant remmember the dat aprox 1987(ron young was master m,we found spare rads that where smaller than the original hdx and ther was several trucks running with these rads,which caused cavitation as the 08 water punp far more flow than preveous engines.sereta had isues with the top tanks,no shunt tank which eliminated cavitation when thermestates opened.these problems where causing cylhead cracking and higher cost prhr.ron young was very interested in curing thes isues and shared info with finning and to my memory he corected isues with positive results.sereta was different the master ther new it all and was not very willing to except any help,more interested in a brawl than solving isues
Hayes HDX sn# 5011 CAT 3406 with 91.000 rears and 15 ft bunks. Truck was for sale/autioned back in 2008-2009. I think Mike Davis bougth her as it looks like his unit #8 which I took picture of in Y2010.
Looks like I might have cut her a little short!!!
Just kidding, here's the rest
69hayes Man she's lookin good That fuel tank you installed sure sets it off!!!! Keep plugging away at her Look forward to seeing her at the Hayes Anniversary show this year.
Hayesno1 post 813 HDX is a Dave Mills truck in Sarita Most of the time she is left under the lowbed
So after messing around with the BC government and the salvage yard attendant I have backed away from the 69 Hayes in McMurray. The only document I would have is the salvage yards sales receipt to prove any ownership it was mine. The BC government won't release the relatives names or numbers for contact and if they have any interest in the truck. For $1500.00 if one of you wants to take the chance I will be more than happy to show you where it is at least until it is scrapped. The truck itself has had a KW tailframe and big 6 welded on which is not quite a match. I would really like to see it saved but not willing to play/pay with lawyers and governments when in reality for a few dollars more complete clear title units are available. Combine this with the fact I already have a 77 kw lw 924 that runs and takes up mega space, sorry guys I have to let it go.
69, She does look a little bobed with the doors closed in around the frame. Let us know how it is equipped, and keep the pictures coming as it is starting to look good. PK sometimes a person has to just walk away, though it is tough. The hassle just isn't worth it, hope someone buys it if for nothing else parts tp make another able to be back on the road.
Hayes HD31 48 This is all the info on truck dirty4fun, HDX provided all the specs ,could not fit whole truck in the shop at the same time so I had to cut my doors to fit one halve at a time, Picked this up today and Steve provided the info,Truck was a lot truck not custom order job Sold by Hayes Western Truck&Equipment Ltd Delivered date was March 20/69 235 wheel base double steel frame 8V71N engine Main trans was Spicer 8753B s/n was 1152265 and aux was 8341F s/n 1175928 10:00X20 front tires with Budd rims SQD rear-ends with6.44 ratio top speed is 66 1/2 MPH Rear tires were 10:00X22 Firestone12 ply also Budd rims 2 --65 gal steel fuel tanks Funny because this truck came with oil temp guages for both trans as well as both diffs Should be mounted on dash at left hand side of steering wheel also woodgrain dash She was Guardsman Blue(DUM-970) with a white 4 inch stripe Frame was blac
A person has to do some crazy things to get the job done. Looks like you got it sealed up enough to keep the heat in and the rains out. Thanks for the specs, on the old girl. I just have a soft spot in me for older trucks, so glad she is in good hands. Way to many things going into the scrap yards, these days.
Driving a Yamaha with a 5X4 must have been quite a hoot, especially since, with most of 'em at least, you had to slam your finger in the door to get mad enough to drive it. ROFL.
Not cracking on Detroits; that's just the way I saw 'em back then. I recall the 8V71 as being a good engine, if you could keep up with the oil leaks.
I thought all Detroits were pretty good engines and they help with the dust control. Guess you thought those were oil leaks, nope engineered to help contol the dusty enviroment that many of them work in. That and leave you listening to them for a few hours after you shut them down, with the ringing in you head.
I knew a mechanic years ago who got tired of turning wrenches, and bought a truck powered by an 8V71. Was a fine truck, and provided him and his family with a good living. As time went on, it started to slobber worse and worse, until he finally decided to rebuild the engine. When he had finished, that engine looked so good, he decided to take a photo of it, and hang that photo above the headboard of his bed. Some time later, he built a new house, and began to move. When he pulled the bed away from the wall, there was a huge puddle of oil under the photo. I ain't lyin' either.
I always heard them called "Green Leakers" back in my day. There was a reason for that. lol Take care.
I'm looking to find an old Hayes HD to restore. I'd like to find one mainly intact and not requiring massive amounts of work. Just hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to find one. thanks
A few pictures of HDX "Bounty hunter".
there is one in loone lake flat deck looks prity good ser#7073302 mod#hd 31_48
"Bounty Hunter" last year in Beddingfield Bay just outside of Tofino
Is There somewhere I can see more info and pictures of that truck?
Hayes Fan; There is a 1970 Hayes HD 30 ton braden winch, 20' deck with jin poles. 400 Cummins engine for sale in Alberta
This 1963 Hayes HDX will be "attending" RB auction in Chiliwack this month. Hopefully she will go back to service and not being scrapped for parts S/N: 3062450; Detroit 12V71, eng brake, 15 spd, spring susp, 91000 lb planetaries
Here some pics of a nice Hayes HD tractor with a chip trailer
I'm hoping I can figure out how to put pics up soon
Hayes Clipper Self Loader.shared photos.Taken in the Fraser Valley,B.C. in 1978. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
I have pictures but dont know how to send them
alcan 50, you have to have a certain number of posts before you can post pics, I am not sure of the number, 3 or 5, then go to the FAQ section and read up on posting pics
alcan50 Welcome to the site!!! Wondered how long it would take Good time to show off the Clipper LOL
more ddt trucks at holberg
Hayes Fan Shoot me a PM and I will hook you up with pictures of the truck HDX
Spent seven days driving an 849 KW with Clark trans and a V12 until the motor died first thing Mon morn. They put me on a HDX with a series sixty and an Alison for the last two days . Kind of makes you wonder why they ever made 849s?
075 There is NO SOUND on earth that can reproduce the noise that a 12V71N with a Clark trans behind it makes. That scream is pure music!!! Does that trans have the Johnson Bar for Forward Neutral and reverse or is it the shift tower with the horseshoe pattern with reverse on one side??? God I loved that combo What is the future of the truck I am looking for a Clark to put behind the 12V in my WHD I talked to Neil up at NIPPS quite some time ago and he said that the Clarks are hard to find now cause most guys went to roadranger 15 speeds or the popular 18 speeds now Back in the early 70s the compo board made the companies actually build a box around the shift tower in case one of the hose's let go--seems a driver somewhere got badly burned with ATF when one of them broke in the cab. Use to think it was funny to step on the retarder and watch the guage climb to 375 degrees instantly almost before going downhill
They are all the horse shoe shaped ones here 8 forward gears and 4 reverse.I can only think of five of them left in operational trucks , three company trucks and two contractors. Pretty pricey to maintain now, with good parts getting hard to find.
I remember those days when you could get hooked on the sound of a truck. Not so any more. All you get from these 'new age marvels' is a subdued "whoosh". It's just not the same.
We had both but the one I drove had the johnson bar with Forward Neutral and Reverse mounted beside the 8 speed shift tower. Trucks (HDXs & WHD Hayes's) would do 48 MPH and when you think back that was pretty cool Last of the Hot Rods There was a small cylinder with a tire type valve stem on it also mounted down at the base of the shifter Do yours still have those LOL Have you ever pulled out the trans dipstick to check the oil level??? Usually you would only get caught once --after that it is just open the top pet **** and see how much oil comes out-- God I loved them
hello seniors i am bala from india. If any body know any training center in india for heavy equipment maintenance please post
taken north of campbell river. anyone recognize her
sorry, truck has eckford trucking on door
As a matter of fact YES !!! 1964 HDX She was MacMillan & Bloedel unit #H143 when new Went new to Port Hardy Division. In 1966 when Cameron Division was starting she along with her three sister trucks H142 H143 H144 H145 were all sent down to bolster up the truck compliment at Cameron Division This was when Joe Borer and his trucks were replaced by company drivers and trucks and he was transferred to the north end of the island It was after Cameron got their new Hayes and Pacific trucks-- H247 H248 H249 and H250 were all WHDXs and H251 H252 H253 and H254 were P16s
thanx hdx. sorry to say she looked like she has seen better days
This one sold yesterday at RB Auction. Went for $10,500. What a deal. That would barely buy the tires and paint job. I posted a link, but if you are not a RB member, it don't work. The truck was a 1969 HDX
OK Here is the skinny on the 90th Anniversary of Hayes show, to be held here in Port Alberni June 30-July 1st and 2nd. It will be at the Fall Fair grounds in town (Just Google the Alberni Valley Multiplex) its right behind it.This show is for ALL TRUCKS!!! NOT JUST HAYES-Push Pull or Drag your old Mack's Kenworth's Pacific's and of coarse the odd Hayes LOL. Western Forest Products (Alberni) is going to arrange for 3-4 truckloads of logs to be hauled in on Highway trucks and unloaded on site. Finning Nanaimo is working on bringing a new Cat Juicer that will load the logs on the big trucks over the weekend.There will be an Off Highway Kenworth Pre-Load and Pacific and Hayes Pre-Loads as well as a couple Conventional Off-Highway Trucks. This is going to probably be the only chance most people will ever get to see this. There will be some Grizzly P/Us also on display.Even a SandTruck with the Smith sandbox on it to show how they work although we do no anticipate much snow at that time of year. NO Admittance fee NO registration fee just come and have a good time We will have signs out on the highway giving directions. Food will be available throughout the day on site. If there is something you would like to see there just let us know and we will see what we can do. HDX
Man i wish i could jump in the pickup and come see this!
Steve, Are you going to have H-17 on site?
HDX; For sure I will come. Looking forward to the 90th Anniversary of Hayes show and to see you and all you great guys from Port Alberni again. Thanks for great info of H143.
i know i'd love to see h-17 up close and personal. along with everything else of course.:thumbsup
Yes she will be there along with her sisters. Not sure how many big ones we can hijack for the show but we are trying for 5-6 from IPL Will be HDXs and P16s This will be really something to see. Finally lots of guys will get to meet each other! Hank Suderman from Hanks Truck Pictures will be taking pictures all weekend and Pat Russell from All American Toys will also be there. There is going to be trucks from all over all coming here for this. Some guys have already asked if we mind if they have a For Sale sign in the window NOT AT ALL!!! This will be a good chance to get up and personal with all kinds of trucks and if you so wish to sell your old girl So Be It!!! Bring your old parts and artifacts or anything else you wish to sell We are setting up a swap meet section just for this. If you have old treasures or books BRING THEM ALONG. There will be display engines (old Hall Scot and a 275 supercharged Cummins) among others. We invited all the truck manufacturers to attend with whatever they wish to bring.The Pre-Load trucks will load and unload their trailers so you can see how different they all are and just how they work as opposed to the Conventional truck that the log loader has to lift the trailer off. Some of the guys want to have a load put on their old trucks for picture purposes and then taken back off YOU BET but all log loading will be done but under controlled situation. John Casanave will be there with his Challanger Truck stuff for all the Challanger Fans This pretty well covers all the off highway trucks LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING AND MEETING ALL YOU GUYS!!!!
FANTASTIC:scool
Hayes HDX Taken a month or two ago. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
2 Hayes HD dump trucks. Pic#1 and #2 shows JR's Contractings, Campbell River HD dump truck in summer 2007. Very nice truck. I have not seen her since: Does anyone know if she is still around. Pic #3 and #4 shows McKay HD unit R111 when she was for sale(Forestech) in Port Alberni at Sproat Lake Div. in 2007. I lost track of her as well?
1st two pics of ddt #12,third is brett merediths hdx. taken in koprino
That #12 HDX was originally bought and owned by RG(Bob) Stephens, nice to still see it around and looking good.Here arre some pics when he had it. bought with a turbo 12 but swap it in and out over the years as can see in the last pic.
HFP unit #T1053 parked at Sarita summer 2007. THis is ex M&B unit #H320. Original a preloader. Sadly HFP converted her to a standard logging truck configuration.
Hayesno1 The little HD Dump truck of JA MacKays was originally M&B Nanaimo River Division unit H92 Funny as it may be there are still at least 4 of these old N/River Trucks still around that I have found 3 are still running and the fourth just needs batteries and she would run again
Bounty Hunter October 2011 Seymore Inlet
I don't know much about trucks, apparently this wasn't to common with the offset cab..leave this up to the pros..
That 7220 looks like the one that pulled over in your "And they walked away post"
I think that would be a before pic...ha ha same machine alright
Post 867 is that a decal on the other loader / yarder in the last picture that appears to look like the B.C.F.P logo?
Crown Zellerback logo the one they had in the 70s
Interesting. The truck in Post 867 is running Budds. I haven't seen that very often in a log truck application, and I believe even less on an off-highway truck.
Here you go HDX, a Clark shift tower in all its rattling glory
A trailer I found in McNeill today not sure if it is a Hayes or not
075 THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! So real you can smell it! Sure takes me back I love the Converter Tach on top of the dash I still have one myself stuffed away in case someday I should end up with a CLARK That is something Lock-up to Lock-up all the way LOL The trailer I think is a Columbia 50 Tonner maybe early 60s vintage The reach is very common to that period with the "I" Beam instead of the round tube
Hi, can someone give info about this Hayes, like engine,transmission etc. Its McMillan Bloedel, Port Hardy in 1968
Sigurd What was the truck number??? It would have started with an "H" Looking at the picture the truck is still pretty new so I would venture to say that it is one of the following trucks H262 H263 or H264 Let me know then we can get to the details but it is for sure an HDX not a WHDX so she would have come with a 12V71N GM engine 5960 Allison Trans (6 Speed) and 90,000 Clark rear ends and 14 foot bunks Let me know if any of this rings any bells OK
What would you estimate the payload to weigh in the picture with the double trailers, post #877? It looks heavy to me, but I am a dirt guy, not trees.
Many thanks HDX for quick response, unfortunately I dont have the numbers, I worked at Port McNeill at that time and took a trip one sunday,got these pics but didnt get closer. Like JDOFMEMI I am curious about the total payload. One more thing HDX, did the trans have just six speed? Sigurd
My guess would be in the 250-300,000lb range for payload. Just a rough guesstimate.
This configuration is what we up here call pulling a pup. I cant say for sure but I would estimate the load on the truck would be about 85 Tons and the load of logs on the Pup trailer would be about 60 Tons Then combine the weight of the truck and trailer at 37 Tons and the weight of the Converter trailer and the short reach last trailer at 12 Tons each It would come out to around 200 Tons. What would happen is the truck pulls up under the "A" Frame Dump machine and the load is lifted off the truck and weighed and then dumped into the water. The driver would then pull the pin and unhook the rear load. His first trailer is then lifted onto the back of the truck using the dump machine. He then backs up and hooks up the rear load and pulls ahead then the process is repeated again. As with the front unit the (last) trailer is also loaded onto the converter trailer This is how the truck would return to the bush for another load. I dont know if this helps to answer your question or not. Let me know. Everything up here is now in METRIC but these weights are all in the good old understandable scale of 2000 lbs to the ton
Sigurd Yes the Allison is a 6 forward and one reverse speed auto trans The picture posted by 075 above #874 is that of a Clark 8 speed auto trans The Clark was far more entertaining because you could go just as fast in reverse as you could ahead. That is if you could keep the truck on the road LOL
Thanks very much HDX for this informative post. As for old understandable scales: I had some trouble telling my folks how big the logs were on the island, the scalers used board feet and here we use cubic meter and I couldnt convert it LOL Concerning post 883, yes I can imagine that would be a highball (hope I didnt use a wrong word,long time since). Again thanks HDX
This may interest those who haven't heard. Check out Hank's Truck Pictures site. Under trucks shows attending is the poster for the 90th aniversary of Hayes show in Port Alberni. Tried to upload poster but this site is a pain to add photos. Thanks Doug.
Here you go Doug
Hayes Shared photos of Lineham Logging trucks
Juskatla 1971 Hey Trackloader, what so you think of this one. Moving the new A sticks to Juskatla, one truck forward and one truck in reverse, all the way from Br 40 (I think, getting a little fuzzy with time)
Wrench Do you have a picture of when Steve Katovic and Don Brier moved the sticks from The Victoria Park to South East Bay. When they decided to trade places they turned the trucks around so they didn't have to give up their own trucks.
What year was that? I don't remember it, but I might have it in some of my Dad's pictures
Around 1986, there is a picture of them coming over Victoria bridge onto the White River Main at the pub in Sayward.
Alright, I can't stand it any longer. What's an A stick? They don't look quite wide enough to be used as spars, and they're too long for bridge stringers without supports..... Come on now, don't leave me hanging...... Outstanding shot, BTW.
A sticks or A Frame. They were 2 large logs set up in an A shape used to lift the load of logs off the trucks. The logs on the trucks that I posted were Sitka Spruce. Spruce is not as strong as Douglas Fir so these logs were quite a bit larger then what would have been used further down the coast. I should see if I can resize the picture and repost it so you can see it better.
Gotcha. Thanks. I have only been around one reload, and have never actually seen a log dump. I believe the reload I'm familiar with (been a lot of years) used four fairly short spars set in place, instead of an A frame. Loads went from off-highway trucks to rail cars.
Awsome !!!!!
Hdx 33-80 So I have got out on another road trip and came across this old HDX, there was some guys working on an old HD and ask them about it, said it had the Rolls Royce engine at frist but swapped a 12-71 in. the RR engine must have been longer as there is alot of space between the rad and eng. Also still has a two speed aux. trans in it. s/n 9031960. so would this be 1959? has old style doors and some cool looking gauge face's. Fill us in HDX
Greatwestcam; Great pics and I am very glad to see that she is still around. I saw her last time in summer 2004, and then I lost track of her. Yes please fill us in HDX.
more HDX ok, here are some more from a different camera, hope they work out. looks like it may been loud! beleive they said it came from camp L, from up past Port Melon way. quite a long hood on it.
Greatwestcam That is one of two of the original "The Arctic Trucking" units left that we have been able to find. This was the first truck built for them #1 of a 6Truck order Serial numbers were 9031960-9031965 and the 36 ton trailers were 9031966-9031971. Delivered May 59 These trucks came with inline 8 cyl Rolls Royce engines (C8SFL) thus the longer than normal hood The main trans was an R1160 Fuller with a 2B92 Fuller aux and the big Thompson Driveline retarder 46-40 Diffs with 10:16 Ratio 13 foot bunks with Seattle Stakes Trucks were painted Pasture Yellow. We have been talking to the owner of the one over this way on the Island here and trying to talk him into bringing it to the 90th Anniversary show here this summer.Although it is unrestored and in need of some work the owner said he will try and find some time to at least get her running and maybe low bed her up That one is #3 I think and she has a 6-110 GM engine. It was said that none of the original RR engines survived and were all replaced over time. We can only hope that maybe some one will find something of the other 4 trucks
HDX: Based on what you are saying about a longer than usual hood for a Rolls Royce engine, would you say the truck in post #877 probably had a Rolls Royce engine? That hood looks LONG.
Hdx 35-88 this one seems to be getting around still, dodging the scrappers. s/n 4062549
Vigilant The hood on the HDX post 877 is a standard Hayes HDX hood 70 inches long with a 12V71 GM engine The hoods on ALL Hayes trucks would vary depending on the engine she was built with Say it was built with a Cummins engine then the hood as with all of them was hand built to fit that one truck and it would be shorter than the hood on a GM 12V71 unit. We have seen two trucks come off the assy line right behind each other and the hoods although almost identical would not fit properly on the other truck When the guys were building the hood (standard hood was 5 piece three top and two side skirts)they would start with the center section and then break (roll) each side piece and form it to that truck This would ensure a tight fit so it would not move around and wear itself out. If you talk to any driver that got or drove a brand new Hayes ask him and he will verify that the hood was just as solid and tight as the rest of the truck It is a very fond memory now because there is no more new Hayes's First chance I get I will measure up one of the Arctic Hoods OK
Greatwestcam Well Done good to see her still in one piece She is old unit # 225 from BCFP's Renfrew Division Delivered Feb 7 1964 When you look at the front of the hood you can see where it has been extended to accommodate the 12V71 engine. This truck was built with the 903 V8 Cummins that was so popular in that period 350HP Spicer 8241C main and Spicer 8341C aux trans Clark BD70,000 rears and 13.298 ratio and that would be a top speed of 34 1/2 MPH 90 inch track As you can see by the tail end of the truck she was a PreLoad The ramps for the trailer are still there. As with most of BCFP's trucks when the Cummins failed they were replaced with the good old standard 12V71s Do you know what her status is??? Is she up for sale??? This truck was a VERY SPIFFY TRUCK when delivered She was a Hayes Show Truck prior to delivery Im sure some of the BCFP guys will chime in here when they see her
OOPS Forgot to mention she also came with two 37 ton trailers Sorry Will be more accurate from now on LOL
Now that is funny! I marvel at how you can tell one from the other. Then really enjoy hearing all the details of how the truck was equipped and where it has been. One day I will get to see one at work, I hope with a big load of logs. Thanks for sharing with us.
Hd 33-70 HDX, sorry I don't know whats up with the BCFP truck, just saw it parked, maybe 69hayes can keep a eye on it. Here is one that hayesno1 has pics of, talked to the owner as he was getting it ready for the barge to go to work, said the ramps on the back are because the loader at the beach is a little small for the job so it pushes the trailer up on it. said the truck came from the island, the trailer is one made by Canadian Kenworth, could just see through the paint on the data plate said s/n 36 TTL. truck is HD33-70 s/n 6032994 nice to see it still working.
Greatwestcam That old girl is MacMillan & Bloedel unit # H240 She went to Shawnigan Division new She was one of the three truck order H239 H240 and H241 Delivered Jan 18 1966 NTC 335 Cummins Spicer 8051C main and 8341D aux 12:00X25 tires Budd wheels 4640 rear ends 9.03 ratio so that would give her a top speed of 50MPH Painted Apache Yellow with Black shutters and top of the hood was Forest Green 215 inch wheel base All three trucks were spec'd the same and delivered the same day and all three came with 53 Ton trailers
That looks like near Marie Lake maybe? Great pic, thanks!
Greatwestcam and HDX; Great pictures Greatwestcam and great information HDX. Super combination of pictures and knowledge. HDX; now I know when you are referring to "The Arctic Trucking" trucks. I had no clue before.. I am looking forward to see a an Arctic Truck again at the Hayes Aniversary show. I just got my ticket to BC - tickets to Canada are pretty expensive this year - but I cant go without. Looking forward to see many of you guys. HDX; Re. #H240 was she some kind of preloader or was the ramp made afterwards? I am still amazed this old beautyfull lady will go back to work - think about it; all most 50 years old in a very tough environment.
Hayesno1 She was a Conventional Truck and Trailer unit but I can see where you compare them to the HD Hayes's that Northwest Bay Division (M&B) got a few years later with the Winch built into the water tank /headache rack behind the cab and folding reach's and the ramps on the tail frame -- very similar to the BCFP HDX's I think that one of these old girls will be at the show and she will have a FOR SALE sign in the window She has been restored and is painted Euclid Green You know the one I mean I think.
Hayes 33-70 Same Truck as post #906 above.Taken a few months ago.Video walk around look at; http://youtu.be/sgpLRdpV7JA
Hd 20-60 another HD still working, s/n 6011669. Thanks again HDX for listing to begining of these old classics.
Greatwestcam I had the good fortune to scope this truck out some time ago when it was for sale in Campbell River. It was interesting to go over her and just look and try and piece her together She looks proper but when you start digging things were for sure NOT RIGHT She was ordered by Dalla River Logging BUT she ended up going to Bill Niel via Western Woods Logging.Delivered Jan 1956 This is where it gets interesting because The ID plate on the dash says HD 20-60 --in other words she had a 200 HP Cummins NOT a 335 Cummins. If she did it would have said 33-60 Also engine serial # was 7W12198 not 7W12918. The 335 was not yet born!It is a know fact that Hayes would re-issue a ID Plate if the original was stolen for re-registration purposes and because the engine was updated by that time it could well have been stamped with "335" instead of the original NHB 600. You can see where the screws holding the plate on have been changed. I puzzled over her for the better part of an hour Her original Hayes Cab and hood were replaced (note the hole in the L/H side for the dual air cleaners)as well as the rad. water tank was replaced with the Columbia one on there now as well .Nothing fit really tight to the cab like it should have where parts got bolted on. She did still have her 4600 rear ends and 11:00X22 rear tires Cant remember if the main was updated from the original 8251-A but the aux was still a 8341 She also came new with an 11 foot Seattle Logging Bunk This is not the first one that this happened to but it does cast a shadow of doubt as to her true history.I really think that she was rebuilt at a shop or in a camp because they needed another truck and there was a fair amount of Hayes parts in the bone yard so they just fixed her up and squirted her Yellow again Maybe someone out there has seen her before or remembers some of the details
Here is a movie of the sticks in action, after they were set up. [video=youtube;m_YHWMK-bF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_YHWMK-bF4[/video]
Ex Hayes Hayes May or may not ever make a come back.Spring photo 2012.
Reading through this thread and looking at the tremendous photo history displayed here is great. It appears that there are several people that follow it that, like myself, are fascinated by these tremendous trucks and those of you that either have or do get to drive them. Several times I've seen questions about different aspects of these logging operations that are commonplace to those of you in the bush but foreign to those of us outside the area. I found a video documentary from the logging industry on Vancouver Island for my young boys and would recommend it to anyone that likes these trucks and doesn't have easy access to them. I obviously have no knowledge of the politics, beaurocracy, current state of affairs in the region and have no idea if this film would bother in any way the guys that do work in the area but it shows a lot of the Hayes and Pacific trucks working for Hayes Forest Service in 2004 and displays things like the A-frame poles unloading and various equipment that most of us simply have no access to. It is called "Logging" and was licensed by Diamond Farm Publishing. I got it from them. Found it in their catalog, not on their internet site so you might have to call them but also just saw it on Amazon.com.
It's been a very long time since I have posted, but I have been trying to research an old Hayes Clipper, I have finally recorded the serial number since it's not infested with bees this year (yet). I am wondering if any of you would like to tell me everything you can know from the number 3032428 as I'm extremely interested in the history of this Hayes. Thank you, it's much appreciated-Nigel.
KW850&T800H You request is answered Here goes s/n 3032428 Was sold through Hayes Interior Sales to Interior Contracting. Clipper conventional Model 29-56 Delivered Mar 2/63 came with GM 8V71 s/n 8VA9386 Spicer 8251-F main trans s/n 421310 and 8341-C aux trans s/n 414987 Rear ends were 44,000lb Rockwell model SSHD 7.4 ratio so that would give her 60MPH top speed 234 inch wheel base Hendrickson Spring suspension. Truck was ordered heavy duty as cab and chassis only. She came with a stub bumper and a brushguard ( this was not common for the Clippers) however some customers wanted them installed Frame and wheels and fuel tank (two 65 gal steel tanks) were painted Black Cab and heavy Duty hood were painted Cat Yellow # 2331-304 was the paint formula Truck was 12/24 Volt with the Series Parallel Switch 10:00X20 Goodyear Rock Logger Tires Viking Bostrom T Bar seat and the standard 14 inch 2 plate clutch. Hope this is what you wanted!!!!!
fire capt Welcome to the site. I think that the DVD you are talking about was made by Dylan Winter from England. It is a pretty good presentation of the logging industry up this way. There are a few more available now from over there now. Scope out www.oldpond.com There is two just released through them called looking at logging Pt 1 and Pt 2 made by CP Video Im not sure about the format because they are PAL and we arn't As for the guys on here ,well we just love to share this stuff with anybody that is interested. You will find every kind of worker in the forest here EXCEPT a Chokerman of coarse. LOL
Hayes HDX Spring photo,video look of truck at; http://youtu.be/xgdVk2XWL2A
I have one nagging question, if y'awl don't mind. On the 8V71s and 8V92s equipped with dual stacks, the only models I have seen like that had a stack on each side. Why is it that with the 12V71s in the Hayes and pacifics, they routed them both to the passenger side? I'm thinking it has to do with the offset cab.... but then again, I recall a lot of KW 848s set up that way also.
One nice feature of having them over on the other side is you don't have as much noise in your ears all day.
Before and After
A preload that could not load its own trailer, Had to be loaded by the dump and unloaded with the loader, Damn heavy trailers as I recall.Nice looking Truck when it was new, a little rough now!!
^^^ Just needs a little paint.
May I just say again, for the record, YOU are one incredible source of information and I am in awe. And I don't mean to demean any of the others here who are incredibly knowledgeable too, but you're just a freak. In the finest way of course. LOL Thank you and..... Take care.
Does anyone have Hayes WHD brochure or dimensional data?
Dave Many Thanks This site is my fav and any info/knowledge etc that I have that helps anybody should be shared. I have tons of pics but just cant seem to post em After things settle down with the Hayes Show next weekend I will get the kid next door to come over and show me how to do it.
Hey I was wondering if you know about any older kenworth,pacifics,hayes,macks are for sale on vancouver Island or BC region, looking for a project to work on at the shop
Give me a shout if you want me to help with scanning - as the IT manager at my office I am familiar with this sort of stuff - and my Hayes website can always use more content . Speaking of help restoring a truck, a freind of mine has just purchased a 1971 HD (SN 4471), (he has a couple others that he would like the tickets for as well) he was wondering if I could contact you for the line tickets as he does not have internet access - he wants to ensure the truck is original when he restores it. Pics below (if I got uploading right) and appearing on www.hayestruckclub.org shortly... Scott
How old of a Hayes do you want??? Rich Bennett in Duncan has his 39 Hayes project for sale There is a P9 Pacific project truck for sale in Nanaimo Come up to the show next weekend All the right people will be there
Sorry Hayes Serial #4471 is a LT20 in other words its a 20 ton logging trailer
Thank you so much! I couldn't ask for a better answer! That is useful information that I'm so happy that someone could finally help me with! Thanks again!
. Thanks for replying to me HDX and the age does not bother me I'm just looking for a project truck to work on after work and is that show next weekend the 90th anneversary of Hayes ?
pacific#1 Yes it is There will probably be a few trucks for sale there and then there will always be the trusty old cigarette package map with the treasure map on it and the old " X " the truck is right here" things also. There will be an old 65 KW with tilt hood and 318 there that needs a new home for low bucks and it sounds like something that might rattle your sabre However if you want a Pacific as per your handle there is at least two we know of
You know If you are into it Larry Childs just down the road from you has his Clippers for sale and he cant make the show so beetle over there and buy one or both and then get a friend to drive one and you drive the other to the show Come through the back way through Kissenger lake and Franklin Nice two hour drive to Alberni Think of the scenery you will see LOL See you next weekend
An HDX and a Clipper left to rust an hour from the Alberta border and 350kms south of Prince George BC. Yarder unknown on the clipper although S# information is presented a few posts back. And yes, that's me looking in the hood of the Clipper, I'm pretty proud of myself for showing such an interest in these rigs and giving them the respect they deserve at my young age.
Interesting, I will have to contact the owner, he might have written the number down incorrectly...
Yeah I will have to give larry childs a call or go walk over there, you wouldn't happen to know the years of the trucks?
64 Pacific Post pictures of the serial number plates Then everybody here can enjoy them Sorry pacific#1 not sure of years been a while since I rubbed their fenders
KW850&T800H The Clipper looks poorly and the Hayes is a HD late 60s early 70s You can tell the HD WHD by the flex frame (normal truck frame) in either the standard 34 inch wide or 40 inch wide on the WHD as opposed to the HDX with the "I" beam rigid frame - HDX and WHDX are the same trucks except the WHDX frame is 40 inchs wide instead of the 34 wide HDX frame Hope this helps when you find an artifact LOL
Next time I venture out to his place - when his parts truck shows up I will take some more photos and get one of the plate. I just looked in my note book and it should be 4461.
Thanks again HDX! Keep the awesome info coming I appreciate it as I'm still learning!
Hayes show Hey HDX, I'm hoping you and anybody else that makes it to the show will flood this site with pictures next week. I've tried about everything possible to get there and it just isn't going to happen this year. Make sure this show is a success so we have a chance at another one in a couple years. Thanks, Eric
If you can't make HDX's show, I am hosting one in Cache Creek, BC a few weeks later, during July 28th and 29th - while not dedicated to Hayes trucks, there should be a few of them there...
fire capt Things are moving right along here A few trucks have started rolling into town already . Sure sorry you cant make it and as you say maybe the next one down the road might work for you Im sure there will be lots of pics by next week LOL Thanks for the support- if not in person then in spirit !!!!
Thanks 64pacific, we'd sure make it if we could. Unfortunately, although I grew up listening to a mill whistle and and constant log truck traffic, I now live in the Palouse and by the end of July we should be smack in the middle of wheat harvest. I better hope for good weather for both of us in which case I will either be driving a hillside combine or semi hauling grain. Good luck with the show to you and HDX. Some of us will have to live vicariously through the rest of you. keep the pictures coming.
hdx and hayesno1; was a pleasure meeting u both at the truck show today
It was a great show of Old Trucks and even older drivers lol, thanks HDX for putting it on. It is easy to tell you and others put a lot of work into it, really good show.
Now that's a load of logs Steve
A few more
Great pictures of the rebuilt and yet to be rebuilt trucks. I bet if you put more pictures up we will enjoy looking at them, also. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you "HDX" and Jim and many others for putting this great show together. I really enjoyed meeting many of you; greatwestcam, 075, trux, etc. Super show - looking forward to 100th annivesary
Thanks to Steve, Jim, and all the folks in Hayes Truck Club for what is likely the greatest truck show ever put together for fans of Off-Highway logging trucks...and of course Hayes trucks in general.... It was fantastic to say the least. HDX, "H17" WHD, HD's etc and no less than FIVE Pacific P-16's and a KW 850 were the big boys that made a showing thanks to Island Pacific Logging, and the other owners. I shot over 480 photos and will try to post a few later. I know the time I spent with HDX and H-17 were the highlight of an incredible journey. .......Makes "Ice Road Truckers" look like a bunch of kidde cars in a snow drift.... and those so called "worlds most dangerous road shows".... HAHHAHAH!! Logging on Vancouver Island makes those look like a ride down to the coffe shop.!!!
A link to DHS site with pictures posted of an off road haul with these giant trucks..... http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1173305�
http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=131 Look for the two posts Giant Trucks/Vancouver Island
Good show, great people I can only echo what others have said, that was a great time, enjoyed every minute. Hats off to Steve and Jim and all the others that helped to pull this together, well done. Enjoyed talking to everyone and making new friends. some show pics.
a few more....
Well you guys The Show is over and the trucks are all back home but they sure made one hell of an impression on a lot of people Both Jim and I would like to take the time to thank each and every one of you for the support! Without you guys and your toys it would not have come off like it did. Some of you drove cars here and some drove trucks but the fact is we all gathered here and made history. We had 81 Trucks in all !!! There was almost every example of Hayes truck here and if not actually here then there was pictures of it here as well as so many other models represented We set out to give the old timers something to come out to and they sure came out We fielded phone calls from all over telling us how much they loved the show The credit goes to every one who attended be it from Denmark to Alaska to New York and Seattle, Alberta, Ontario, all over BC WELL DONE ALL OF YOU! and THANK YOU Steve
Hayes HD 2 Hayes HD found on Vancouver Island
sisters found these two HD's on my trip home, both HD 33-78, all yellow is s/n 4166, the green and white is s/n 4172.
Great pictures from the Truck Show, i sure would have loved to be there! Could any of you tell how many cubic meters the load on the H 17 amounts to? What is the average length of the logs and max. length? Thanks. Sigurd
Steve and jim congrats it sounds like you put on a great show I couldn't make it up this time but I wish I could of, I foundf a truck off the gordon river mainlain right at the start of 19 creek and the serial # is T74118-797 it was a p-16 and had a unit #111 I was hoping someone could tell me the history of it and who possibly owns it I'll try to upload the pictures tonight
I`ll change the value from cubic meters to board feet and hope for an answer
Sigurd It was approx 120 Meters I will check with the boys and ask what the lengths were Some were 12.5s
Just had a question about Saunders and sons trucks. What is left of their old fleet. Supposedly they had the largest single purchase of trucks from hays.
Thanks a lot HDX
Sigurd I checked with one of the guys that are pretty good with judging load sizes and he told me it was more like 130 Meters Most of the logs were 12.5's and the longer ones on top were 16.6's Maybe 075 could jump in and add some ideas
Nice load no holes, a good mix of larger logs and smaller ones, The long ones on top add alot of wood .I would say 125 to 135 would be a good guess. Its really hard to say how heavy it is untill you hear the truck driver scream when he breaks over the first hill lol
Thank you both HDX and 075 for taking your time to answer my questions! That sure is a huge amount of wood. Sigurd
Don't know where to throw this but thought it was neat, preloader that's become a wagon for moving things around the sort?
Some Hayes HDX from Vancouver Island. Last 3 pictures are Dave Mills trucks
Very good pics Hayesno1 The second pic (H14) is ex M&B unit # H88 from Cameron Division She was the first of the 4 HDX PreLoads they got in 1974 Her serial # is 6352 Original driver was Swen Josefson. Gotta go over and see what her future holds in store. Will try and see what we can find out Cant believe the damage to the front bumper That was done after she left M&B Somebody pushing something I guess
HDX; thank you and great info as usual. She looked in pretty good shape but I think she needs a bit of work before she will be back. A few pics of H17 when I met you near Sarita a week after the great great Hayes annivversary show. I really like pic #1 with all the dust; all most making a bowl around her.
Hayes HDX WFP #2225(old MB unit) being loaded east of Alice Lake and Victoria Lake, meeting her loaded a bit later at West Main when she was heading to Port McNeill. "075" are you loading her? I was looking for a campsite and I found one nice spot on east side of Victoria Lake. No people at all and good fishing
No sorry that was not me, That is Port McNeill Div truck, and loader and I work in Juene Landing . But I have driven 2225 a couple of times when I was working in McNeill
Hayes HD flat bed truck with a drilling unit
HD's some HD's spotted on a summers drive
Greatwestcam; I think pic #3 is a Pacific P9. I can see you were in Quesnel.. LOL..
Your eyes are better then mine, thanks Hayesno1, looks like you covered alot of ground on your visit, hope you had a good one.
Thank you Greatwestcam and for sure I had a great one - meeting yu and many other great guys.Looking forward to my next trip - maybe next year..
Hayes WHD One of my favorites at Hayes 90th Aniversarry show. She looks rough and need some work but anyway she is looking great. Pay attension to frame - bended a bit.. LOL
Another old Hayes HDX still going strong as a water truck. Present owner is IPL.
075 Just gotta ask Whatever happened to the KWwith the Clark Trans that developed engine failure????? Just thinkin you know Hmmmmm Also while im at it Do you have accsess to any of the HDXs with the 3408s in them
It is still sitting on blocks by Jerrys shop he uses it for parts for his other 848 with a Clark. Last time I was in McNeills shop the last HDX with a 3408 in it was getting a series sixty put in it.The 3408 that was in it was long in the tooth and was the truck with the bad vibration in 6th and lockup.
I will phone you if you are around OK
Let her Ring I am at home, HDX
Frank Beban HDX logging truck unit #LH24. Truck had no seat. Sorry I could not find #sn.
Does anyone know what happened to old M&B unit #H297? I have not her since 2007. Pics are from summer 2005 in Port McNeill, when she ran for Cascadia. She got the biggest sander box I've ever seen!
They keep her in the old Western shop out of the rain.
That sand box came from Franklin River and was originally on one of our PreLoad HDXs actually it was on the H319 back in the late 90s then cut apart and sent upIsland im sure thats the one We had 4-- 24 yard Preload Smith Sand box's and Sarita division had the 5th one. It mounted over the truck bunk. Management decided to cut that one up and send the preload one up there knowing full well it was to be mounted on a Conventional truck Go figure!!!!
075 and HDX; thanks for information. Glad to hear she is still around.
This is a HDX 32-80 dump truck for sale at Forestech. Looks like J. A. McKay colour scheme all though I dont think she was in his fleet. She might be worth saving for restoration?
Harris Creek 1958 BCFP's truck #201 with a 3 log load
#H17 getting a nice load of hemlock near Haddon Main. As I recall it was heli logged...
What is emaining of 2 HDX parked in front of NIPPS store in Port McNeill. Trucks have been parked there for more than a decade. One of them got Triple C logo on door.
Hayesno1 Thanks for posting these I was up there yesterday and had about three minutes so I walked over and had a peek at that Triple C truck Then I saw the big Clark trans brackets welded to the frame (Factory Weld) Holy Cow She had to be one of the M&B WHDX's from Squamish Division Then we verified it by the serial number YUP H157 Not only that but Vic Goertzen Delivered her brand new and he took film footage of it!!!! It dont get any better Just go on You Tube and type in Hayes WHDX being delivered in 1968 and there she is She was delivered to Squamish Division of M&B July 24 1968 s/n 8063441 Came new with a `12V71 and a Clark 8821-12 8 speed auto trans and 90,000 Clark rears 15.033-1 ratio and a top speed of 36 MPH Remember here she was a WHDX so she had the 40 inch wide frame to accept the wide Clark Trans " Another mystery solved"
HDX; Thanks for some great information as usual - and correction. I did not noticed before yesterday that the Triple C truck is a WHDX model. I really like the film Vic has published on You Tube. Any info on the other Hayes parked beside old #H157?
Sorry Hayesno1 I only had a few mins and when I figured out that the truck might have been from Squamish because thats were Triple C was from I lost my focus and had a brain fart Im sorry but first chance maybe somebody up there can scope her out for us and we will identify her also -- Funny I spent all night thinkin about Clark trans and V12 GMs and maybe she could Hmmmmm What do you think here Murray???? We could get this baby runnin again and chase the tourists and environmentalist's around the trails
Hayes Triple C truck, KW 849 unknown owner and KW 849 owner Butch Carroll. Pics were taken in the early 80's on Vancouver Island. Sadly you don´t see this anymore so close to a HW....
2 different HD models. Koprino Logging's HD(pic #1) has been scrapped. All though cab has been saved by NIPPS.
HD logging truck A few pics of a green and white HD logging truck that was for sale in the early 80's in Vancouver.
WHDX-1000 scale model So last night i had a wonderful phone conversation with my old friend HDX, he asked me if had ever finished my model of the Arbeguii WHDX-1000. Although it isNOT a log truck, i felt this would be the place to post a few picks of it. The model was completed in 2001, I had 7 photographs & only knew the height & width of the drivers door. Of the 4 built (2 pairs) this is one of the smaller units with the DDC 16v-71TT & Clark BD-91's out back. Eventually i will build one of the larger units with the Cummins VT-1710 & Mack Planidrives at the rear. Ap40rocktruck
Hayes Clipper 200 Winch tractor Again, although this is not a logger, It IS a 1/25 scale Hayes Clipper 200, also built in 2001. Ap40
WOW! Those are two really nice models Ap40.
Thanks, not bad for a professional model maker, 26 years in the industry. The Clipper has real Alberta mud on from another truck modeler in that region. Ap40
Sweet models! Are they all 1/25 scale?
Yes. All of my builds for my collection are in 1/25 or 1/24. My commission builds range from 1/200 to 1/8, virtually any subject. But for my self it has to be truck, equipment, logging, heavy haul, antique or unique. Ap40
Have you ever built any scale RC's?
ap40rocktruck Those are the only pics of the Spanish WHDX's I have ever seen in model form. I was told that a fellow from Germany/ Denmark had built one but could never confirm it so YUP yours is the first and you did a great job of representing them!!! HIGH CLASS! Good to talk to you again LOL
RCP57, No, have never done any RC's, personally or on commission. Personally, i find that the real pleasure in the build is getting the detail of the chassis & drive train absolutely perfect & in scale. So much of that would be lost in making an RC out of it, especially in 1/24 scale, that it looses the interest for me. Now if a customer were to ask for one in say 1/10th scale, and the end product was to look correct from the out side (ie; body and cab etc) then sure. Anything can be built or fabricated to exceed the customers expectations. Ap40
HDX, Thank you for the kind words. To my knowledge, i have not viewed photos or images from any other WHDX-1000 in 1/24 scale. There may have been one or more done in smaller scales such as 1/50 or the HO rail road of 1/87, but i have not seen them. If i find them i will post a link at a later date. Thanks again for the call. Ap40
Hi. Yes, there has been a WHDX built in 1/25. His name is Tony Dingsdale in Port Albernie. It was a amazing thing to see . I only saw it in person before painting and not quite finished, did see a few pictures after painting. If any body here knows him they should get him to post some pictures. His dad drove one so he had unlimited access. Thnaks Doug.
Sorry Doug The truck Tony built was an HDX 45-115 Preload unit with set forward front axle and it is a scale model of the truck his dad drove up till his retirement
I stand corrected. OK, like I said it was awhile ago that I saw it. Is it finished? Would like to see some pictures. Had Tony's contact info but has gone missing. Thanks Doug.
Doug1966 Tony is on this site as Hayeslogtruck give him a PM
i am looking for a 150 ton low and possibly a tractor to pull it so if anyone has and info on one could you let me know
How are you jazzy? We have alot of them left here in Alaska and are also always looking for more. I've even been bidding on trailers in Africa and Malaysia but it's tough- Mines in Australia and NZ are grabbing them. We have lots of tractors (mostly C500's now) but the trailers are getting scarce. If I find a stash someplace I'll give you a heads up; It will likely be overseas if/when we do find them.
For Sale Im looking for Hayes trucks to buy and was wondering if you know where I can find the owner or other Hayes trucks for sale? Thank you
Hey HDX, did old H-289 go to a good home??
Trakloader When we saw her in Campbell River she had a new set of tires on her and was in the process of being spruced up Will find out what we can about her future OK
Been enjoying the photos and conversation here for some time now, but never posted before. I've like Hayes trucks for long time now, actually wrote to the company back in mid 1960's and they sent me several brochures and pix. I am a model manufacturer, and produce a 1/87th scale model kit of the Hayes HDX-1000 and have more in the works. I met HDX about 10 years ago and got to ride in H-17 back when it still was a M-B truck. I have tons of photos that I have taken over the years, many from "The Island" and also many around Squamish that I'm willing to share here. I was a truck "owner-operater" for a few years and owned a Kenworth K-123 Cab-over, a rare truck in these parts back then (early 1970's). I also spent 10 years as a heavy equipment mechanic full time with the Army. Looking foreward to chatting with some of you in the future.
Welcome aboard "dmills1419". Well I have bought several of your great HDX models and Mack FCSW models as well. Keep up your great work. Looking forward to see more of your upcoming works and for sure your pictures.
Welcome to the forum, will be great to see your photos,
dmills1419 Long time ago--Sure is good to see you are still going strong! Had Hank Suderman with me this week for a few days and as usual your name came up LOL Welcome Aboard!!!!
Welcome to the best resource on the wide web for Hayes & so many other great names, that hold all our passion for history & scale models! Ap40rocktruck
I never lost my interest in the big Canadian loggers, nothing like it anywhere else in the world. It is amazing how the Hayes trucks are still servicable after all those years in the woods working under such harsh conditions, nobody making anything that can compare to them today. Maybe Hayes caused their own destiny by making the trucks so good, but of course the way these big corporations are run now, don't help the situation either. There are no trucks made today that can hold a candle to Hayes, even Macks have gotten so flimsy compared to what they used to be. That H-17 you drive must be well maintained, still looks like new in and out ( I know it gets a lot of TLC from you too). Back here in the east nobody ever got put on the scales till the 1970's, so everybody was loading all they could on each truck to make the $$$. That's probably why a lot of the earlier trucks were made so rugged, thy knew they had to carry the extra weight plus the roads were terrible. I hauled pre-stressed concrete beams for a short time till I found out the company was sending us out with 75 to 120 thousand pound loads and only paying us for 40 thousand. Guys were wrecking trucks every week cause they could't stop them, between the fact they were overloaded and most of the company trailers had no brakes. It's amazing more guys wern't killed hauling that stuff. I ran over the road for about three years hauling freight and only hit scales about once per year and that was when I went south towards Baltimore. BTW...I'm thinking about doing a model of the Mack you own, next to a Hayes, that's the next best thing for a rugged looking truck.
Ap40rocktruck; Great models. When I saw your model the Clipper 200 winch truck I thougt of Olsen's shop truck #ST34 - a Hayes Clipper 200 as well. Well I think it is Olsen's truck Here are some shots of her. Sadly I have not seen her the last few years.
2 HDX dump trucks ex loggers. Right truck is a HDX set forward model and truck at left is a set back model
Hayesno1, That is a pretty neat little rig. I might just have to build a model of it, as this is the first single drive Clipper 200 i have seen. I also have a Clipper 100 in the works, & hope to have it ready by summer of 13. Thanks for sharing, Ap40
That little Clipper sure looks like the one Bob Stephens had back in the late 80's when I worked with him off and on. He had a big diesel Hobart welder on it when I last saw it at Goat Lake when he was hauling for Port Neville log. He had a good set up with a 28 ft dry van/shop and a short flat bed trailer with a power tailgate for tires and stuff that all could pin onto the big trucks and go.
Great to see you back Cam
Thanks Steve, the winter freeze has set in here so it's all work and little photo ops (unless anyone likes pics of blown engines lol) Do have a few "hunts" planned though. Cam
Hayesno1; I liked those photos of the HDX dump trucks, would you happen to have a photo of the back end of one you could post, I'd like to build a model of one. I'm also thinking of doing a HDX with tower set up like ones M-B had, I took photos of one at Sproat Lake about 10 years ago.
Hayes Clippers Got to meet the owner of these two clippers a couple weeks ago,and received use of some old pics of these trucks to use, The last pics are present state and condition.They are 2 different clippers and are currently parked 50 feet from each other today.Bottom photo was the self loader.Video posted later.
dmills1419, Sorry I don't have any pics of the back end. Here is link to Hank's web site showing several pictures of Dennis Nixon's HDX dump truck. Same truck as left truck at my pictures. I am pretty sure truck has not been scrapped. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/duncan_2008.htm I might have some pics of a HDX dump truck I took picture of in 2005. I'll check. Present time I am working on several Hayes HDX models; a sander truck, a line horse truck, water truck (#6-211) and the a steel spar truck like M&B's #J71
M-B HDX With Madill 009 Spar Mount Hayesno1, Kim, thanks for info on the HDX dump truck, guess I'll have to wait till I see what the tailgate looks like, before starting on that project. Do you or anyone else here know anything about the M-B HDX's with Madill 009 Spars mounted on them? T was wondering if the trucks were ordered new for those mounts, or did Madill mount the rigs on older trucks? Also looks like the wheelbase is longer on the spar trucks, was the chassis lengthened by Madill or was the chassis stock from Hayes factory? Any idea what wheelbase was? I'd like to model one of those rigs in the traveling position, maube even produce a kit of them if there was enough interest.
Hi Don; Never say never. I found a picture of dump box from behind. Maybe you can use it. HDX truck had #sn 4214 Detr.12V71 91000 rears 15 ft box. Truck is one of the two I posted pictures of aprox. a week ago! I will see what I can dig up about M&B's steel spars. As I recall trucks were converted from logging trucks to spar truck. I am pretty sure HDX can ad some interesting information.
dmills1419; J71 was originally sold to MacMillan Bloedel's Sproat Lake Division, as unit H-11. She is a HDX model from 1965; #sn 5032738. Madill 009 spar was installed at the Sproat Lake Division shops. The truck was eventually sold to Van West Pole. I am not of present status, but I have been told she is parked somewhere on The Island. From pictures of her I am pretty sure wheelbase is much longer than standard 225". More like 280". I will post some pics of HD steel spar that is parked at Prince George Railway Museum. I got some measurements of that unit if you are interested.
1954 HD model 20-60 with stel spar
More pics of 1954 HD model 20-60 with stel spar
To Hayesno1: Good job on finding the HDX dump photo showing the rear end. That's an aluminum body....right? I want to model some support equipment that used the HDX and HD-400's for a bed. Guess I'll have to produce a HD-400 kit next, that's probably the second nicest looking truck on the west coast after the HDX. They have that "strictly business" look. That HD with the spar looks to have more than it can handle for a load, must have needed some help getting into the high elevation sites. I'm starting to sort out my photos getting ready to post some, most are color negatives that I've taken going back to mid 1980's.
Hayesno1 - you are close on this, but I hope I can help clarify this one. I was working in the shop at Sproat Lake Div. in late 1976 - just before the J73 (which you are mistakenly calling the J-71) showed up on the claim in early 1977. This yarder was not built at this shop, or I would have seen it. I remember hearing that it came from the Madill shops over in Nanaimo - yes M & B did provide a truck for the chassis. I was also on one of the first rigging crews that worked on her down in the MacTush winter show that winter. It was a bit of an experiment for the Cous Creek yarding department (Sproat Lake Division was operating as the Taylor, Ash and Cous Creek sub-divisions at the time) in that it had another drum on it for a tag line - which we were using to run a 'shot gun' carriage. So the J73 was allocated to settings that were generally lower side goat shows to obtain the required lift for the carriage. Eventually they ran it as a standard spar and the shot gun idea was forgotten. I remember that I had one of my closest near death experiences on this beast....
M&B did indeed build some spars in its shops, J-91 and J-23 were built at Queen Charlotte Division in the 70's, and also J-129 at Kelsey Bay (?). I think J-73 and 76 were put together by Madill, because they are quite different from the others. J-23, 91, and 129 had a frame built up over the truck cab with the fuel and water tanks on it, a better design than the Madill setup which took up most of the deck. M&B QCD used H221 and 222, both HDX's, and J-129 was on a 1965 P-16. I do have a few pics of J-23 here, already posted on this thread. J-23 was also set up with a shotgun rig, at first, but that did not last. Both J-23 and 91 were built using parts from tank mount Madills. The 23 had a K-166A Tyee and 91 had a K-66. J-129 had a Madill 009 at first, but I am almost certain I remember her with a big 046 and 8 guylines.... Maybe my memory is faulty, I was only about 12 when they junked her.
Oh HayesNo1! My old computer calfed ages ago, my new email is [email protected] I have several shots I took of J-23 as she was slowly torched down for scrap. I just recently dug them up. Sad to look at but they show the details quite clearly if anyone wants to model one. HDX would know the whole story, but I do know that M&B normally sent an old truck out to Madill and had a spar built on it, and also built a few at their own shops. They had a couple up here on chain drive KW's, which didn't work out too well. Madill lengthened the frames, and the raising ram pushed on the frame right at the worst spot. The frames would bend, break, and crack. Also the brakes were quite inadequate. After J-56 rolled away and flattened some crummies, they ordered a tank carrier and converted her to a tank mount at QCD shop. Then still later QCD mounted her on old H-221. By that time they were a lot smarter, left the frame short and put little jacks under the frame, just under the ram. Kept it from cracking. Same design was used on J-23.
Jackd; Oops thank you for correcting me. For sure it is J73.
Trakloader; great to hear from you again. I will update my contacts with your new e-mail. Is J-23 gone now for good? I remember you mailed me a few pics of her when she was parked. Please post any pics of her. Anything helps a model builder like Don and I. Don; PacificEd took several shots of J73 in 2006. They are posted at Hanks truck site. I got PacificEds permission to post them here but I think you should see pics at Hanks site...
J-23 J-23, notice the setup with fuel tanks above the truck cab.
J23 & J73 Spars Hi Hayesno1: I think I'm going to sick with J73, I got several photos of her I took back in 2002 at Sproat Lake shop, was only able to get one side though. She was parked length wise on the edge of a pretty steep embankment so I could only see the right side. From a medeling standpoint, she is a better looking unit despite the fact that she didn't perform that well in real life. My critics will never know her true story, we will leave that on Vancouver Island. Anybody have an idea how much these rigs weigh? Also, Thanks to Trackloader for posting the photos of J23, you got any more shots of different truck mounted units. I stopped by Madill when I was out that way last time in 2002 and requested drawings or photos of a few different units, but they were of no help at all. The guy I talked to didn't even know what a tank mount was. Guess he was a newbee.
The J73 performed quite well for the time that I knew it. It was the last of many Madill 90 foot yarders that M&B bought for Sproat Lake Division and probably stayed on the claim for many years after I departed in 1982. I never heard a complaint about it. The 'shot gun' carriage idea was what didn't catch on. After they went to the simple butt rigging with three chokers, things were fine.
same thing with J-23, she outlived every other tower on the claim. I have lots more pics and video of that unit, I think J-129 was the nicest looking one. Not many pics though. I do have tons of drawings, etc. from Madill. Also if measurements are needed we have a tank mount here to measure.
The reason for the `shot gun` carriage experiment back in 1977 was cost reduction. The great minds in charge were starting to look at the increasing cost of diesel and figured out that by having gravity bring the rigging out to pick up the next turn, you could save 50% on your fuel costs. This was how it was explained to me... They failed to factor in the difficulty of the inevitable ground lead situation at the tail blocks because we were still using stumps and didn`t have the benefit of a tail spar. At least they did realize their mistake and had the brains to go back to the standard rigging. Trakloader - good to see you back here posting again.
We used a shotgun carriage back in the early ‘70s and had great production with it. We used a lot of guyline extensions to get back far enough for lift, sometimes another 1000 feet. However, in the appropriate setting it was nice, smaller rigging and lot less struggle. I agree, with no lift, the carriage is worthless. The last setting I poked chokers on had a 208 Washington with four extra guylines and we flew four 40 foot skidder tonglines each with six 5/8 X 12’ chokers. The tower sat on top of a 400-foot bluff and we were in some 85-year-old second growth. The only way to get any respite was on occasion gutshoot a couple of logs and let the shovel runner swear at us as he unraveled the mess we sent the landing.
Another 1000 feet of skyline would have done the trick but no one thought of that when we were trying it out. Grapple yarders were coming in big time as this was all happening and they had the benefit of being paired with D-9's with C frame mounted tail spars from the get go. We were logging all first growth in those days. I migrated away from the Madills over to the wonderful Sparmatics soon after, to finish off my time in the bush.
WFP Hayes HDX heading for dump in Gold River this summer.
Hayes HDX model with Pacific cab. Owner; WFP
Hayesno1 You can sure see the way the cab was lifted up 6 inches in these pics. There is a lot of this going on with the old HDX's now! Down side is you have to re-adapt the hood to fit the rad and the cab. Give's a lot more room for a mechanic to work on the foot valve or retarder and the steering system as well as the trans oil lines up under the cab. Seen some where the floor of the jump seat was cut out and a bolted plate put in just to access those hose's. Not a big fan of this but then again it is all in the eye of the guys doing the rebuild's The most important thing here is they are still a HAYES and they are still doing what they were built for. This was done to one of the two big Argegui WHDX's in Spain and it stands right out due to the extreme size of the hoods. Good post as usual
I keep watching for ROTOSEAL to show up He has a wealth of info and he is just one of the most knowledgable guys I have ever worked around I know he is lurking around out there !!!!!!
HDX - I was up doing some visiting in Port Alberni yesterday and your real name came up in conversation. Two old friends were telling me about the Hayes celebration you threw last summer. It would seem that you were letting people drive the H-17 around the grounds a little bit. They were an older couple that live on Stirling Arm Drive - they were quite impressed. Wish I could have made it there but I was moving to Chemainus that weekend. Good on you.
Pics of IPL #H151 at Sarita this summer. She was old M&B #H320 preloader. Sadly HFP converted her to standard logging truck.
J-23 Shotgun jackd, etc. I will post a pic of the shotgun system on J-23, but it is not the best pic.
I'm seeing a 'scab line' set-up here with a standard butt rigging. Geez these old terms are coming back to me and I haven't set a choker in 30 years.... Hell I bet I could change roads and rig up a yarder like it was yesterday, if I had a chance. That shows you what long term memmory does for you but don't ask me what I did last week.
Nope, I told you it was a bad pic! I have another set somewhere that shows the setup better. They did not use the shotgun for very long here, either. 1977-78. I also have some slides of J-73 with a shotgun setup, M&B was big on sending brass on tours of other divisions so there are pics here from several divisions.
jackd, look closely at the pic. That thing that looks like buttrigging is actually attached to a guyline. The mainline is going off into the blue somewhere, and I can't see the haulback at all.
Well you've got me there.... I think that there is some sort of optical illusion happening here but what you're saying appears to be true. Post that picture of the 'shotgun' and maybe that will clarify things. I'm dying to see those shots of the J73 'shotgun' set-up - it might bring back memories.
Not sure how the Hell that was set up, I know the yarder had a 7th guyline drum that was used for that setup, it was removed when they junked the shotgun. It almost seems to me that the block hooked to the guyline is carrying the haulback, does that make sense? I have several pics but none show the rigging at the tower clearly. Just a bit annoying. It may be a long time before I post the pics of J-73, after moving it is pretty hard to lay hands on lots of things!
Hayes Loggers At Squamish Late 1980's Looked Like These Trucks Were Auctioned, Were In Storage Yard Right In Town
Hayes Clipper Currently for sale on Vancouver craigslist
Some folks here surely already know this, but I just learned something interesting. According to this video, Hayes Forest Services was founded by the same folks who started manufacturing Hayes log trucks, obviously to fill their needs first and foremost. A story similar to Al Peterman and the Peterbilt nameplate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDyx0JyHelo The great Finley Hays wrote an account on him being invited to come to Alaska, I believe, to work for an outfit with the same name years ago, but he did not speak well of them. Times change, and if HFS is in fact that same outfit, they obviously found the recipe for success along the way. Mr. Hays made it clearly known in that article that he was no kin to them, and noted the difference in the spelling of their names to support his assertion.
Hayes trucks covered with snow. 3 Hayes dump trucks. 2 yellow trucks are WHD models and the red one is a standard HD model. I think yellow trucks were coal trucks. Maybe someone can fill in with information.
BCFP's truck #206 and a couple of others with a big dump of snow in 1964.
Dang, so how long did it take to clear the haul roads so that the trucks could get unloaded? Ap40
ilovetheseoldhdxs
please keep these pictures comming
Guys, I am new to this forum and registered exclusively because of this topic. First of all I would like to thank you for sharing such interesting pictures and information about these off highway units. I really enjoyed browsing the forum for the last few hours. However there is one question that I have as I haven't found the exact information here. The fuel and water tanks were previously discussed here however I did not find any clear picture showing the fuel tank and water tank filling gaps. Where are they? How do you re-fill these tanks? Where exactly is the dividing line between the water tank and the fuel tank? Is the fuel tank located below the water one? Is the triangular shaped tank behind located behing the structure just a part of the whole tank volume? I hope my questions are clear enough. I am asking because I am a model truck builder and I am trying to get deeper in the design of these trucks before building a model. Thanks Jan
Jan, if you look in post 791, you can see in one picture a cap sticking out from the side of the water tank. That is the filler neck for the fuel tank which is actually welded to the back of the water tank. The water tank is filled from a cap on top on the left or right side. Usually filled on drivers side just because it's easier. This fuel tank location is on a Hayes. On a Pacific it is located between the cab and water tank and sits on two mounts that are welded to the water tank, there are two straps that hold it in place. I think Kenworth mounted the fuel tank under the right running board and water tank. Not to sure if they all were this way as I didn't work on to many Kenworth's and never even got to see a Challenger.
Thankd, HD Mech, I missed that details but now I got it in that picture. Now I realise the difference! I browsed some Pacific trucks pictures and it really seems that the fuel tank is separate - and therefore its location and filling cap is clearly visible. Now, is this correct for Hayes then?
Welcome aboard Jan; that's correct!
Thanks Hayesno1,:wink2 , Now I just miss any picture of the water tank caps. Please let me know if you find any. I don't know whos the driver and whos just fan of these machines here.
I got pictures - I will post them as soon I find them!
:notworthy Thanks, mate!
Here some pics where to fill water. #1 shows a HD model. Lit is at top of tank at left side. #2 and #4 are HDX and pics are from same truck. #2 is closeup of lit. #3 shows lit at top of tank(right side) of a HDX model. Some tanks got a lit on each side.
How fast you are! Another thing I now know about these vehicles - much appreciated! Thanks once again! I hope you guys don't mind me asking. I am sure I will come back with another questions.
Looking at the dates on my pictures it took 5 years (just joking ). It a depends on the distance, depth of the snow and the machine you using for plowing snow . I posted some pictures of a Cat plowing snow HeavyEquipmentForums post #410. This picture was taken in 1969 at Caycuse dump , i'm going by the date to guess what log dump it is . second picture just random logging road plowed .
Shifting / transmissions question Guys, you will probably know this video and we all are definitely familiar with that particular truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cQjuWXGlU&list=PL7DLr5dkipIFieFHVriOKOBtvmXMwityV&index=20 What caught my attention was the gearchange at the very end of the video (21:20). I used to drive trucks over here in Europe during my university studies and I had both 8 speed Eaton as well as power-clutch operated 16 speed Eaton Road Ranger so I am familiar with this stuff but what I see in the video is something different. What's that transmission for? Obviously no clutch pedal is used during the shifting and obviously this is not a standard manual transmission however the driver still controls the gearstick and changes the gears just when he wants so it is not fully automatic neither. Could anyone explain me how does it work?
Hi Jan, that truck has a Allison power shift transmission in it with a air shifter to move the spool valves in the transmission valve body. There is a electric shifter that can be installed but then you need to replace the valve body on the trans. as well as plumb in a wiring harness, and different shifter in the cab. The driver can also engage the torque lockup by using a separate switch usually mounted on the shifter or on the floor. The floor one you just step on it to activate/deactivate it. In the video you can just see a extra pedal on the left side, that is for the transmission retarder which the driver can use to help slow the truck down if the engine brake isn't enough. HDX your truck looks really good. The interior looks as nice as the outside. I especially like the bear on the door panel.
HDMech Thanks a lot!!! Not a lot of the Hayes's came with the electric shifters. The Pacific's mostly.Specialy after 1976. They had the switch on the floor instead of the manual lock-up on the dash as well as an over-ride switch. The electric shifters were/are a problem when they start blowing fuse's and you cant shift them. Some years ago a PCB driver hauling out in the Walbran tried to over-ride the fuse when it blew to get the truck off the road and she went into neutral and he was gone that fast over the bank. Load came over the cab and then the truck caught up to one of the logs and jillpoked it right back through the cab Driver OK new cab for the truck. I never really spent a lot of time driving Pacific stuff but quickly learned to hate that button on the floor --specially if you were backing up into the trailer in the landing and your foot hit it then she would go right into lock-up and slam into the trailer reach Bad thing to happen if the second loader was not careful. Hayes were the ones that modified the Williams air shifter to the style that I have in H17 They have a Micro switch mounted into the R/H side of the shift tower that engages the lock-up in the tranny. 075 will love that because we used the same principal when shifting the Clark trans. With the Allison you have to ease off the throttle a little when shifting like that so it does not slam the lock-up dowels into the lock-up position. If you dont the dowels will eventually oblong the holes and after time will fall out.Then no more lock-up!!!! Back in 1999 that tranny was put in and because there was no 60-61s ready at the time the shop installed a 59-60 just like the truck originally came with VERY GOOD !!!!! Retarder held way better that the 60-61's
Just thought i would say happy new year to all. Alcan 50
I hear you about the electric shifter HDX, one night when I worked at Eve River I nosed H37 (Hayes)into the shop to do something. When I went to go park it back in the lineup it wouldn't start. After a lot of checking I discovered the wiring in the shifter had shorted at the fuse holder and us without a spare. No spare at Kelsey either. So I had to take the shifter apart and repair the wiring and then put it back in. My quick one hour job turned into eight hours of frustration! All the trucks I worked on at Kelsey Bay, Eve River, Menzies and the Charlottes had the lockup switch on the shift tower as a separate switch. When I worked at Port McNeill they were using the floor switch. They even reinstalled the floor switch in H87(Pacific) when they got it from Eve. Just what they liked and were used to. Anyway Happy New Year to everybody.
Hayesno1 The old HDX you posted way back (Post #23) She sat out at the Cameron yard for a long time. Couple guys tried to buy her at least one I know wanted to restore her back into an HDX and he would have because he has done several You know him (Ross)--- BUT another guy came along after the owner died and said all the right words and got her and he was going to do wonders to her but alas still she sat until one day another logging contractor somehow got her and cut her up right on the spot!!!! So she is now no more The guy never even told anybody he was going to do it Sad day Hayesno1
No no no - I can't believe anyone would do so. For sure a sad day - she was very special with that telescope reach and selfloader. I met the driver in 2010. As I recall I think te told me he drove her for all most 20 years. In all the years I have been hunting Hayes trucks I have only found 2 HDX selfloader, and now one of them has gone. The other one I found further up The Island in 2004. Sadly I think she has been scrapped as well.
A few close up pics of HDX from 1964 incl. pic of #sn plate! I regret I did not take any measurements of her. She is worthy to be build a model of.
A 1973 Hayes working in the interior of BC this winter. Impressive to see a truck of this vintage out there working with 7 and 8 axle trucks that are the standard of today... There are very few still hauling logs in the this part of the province.
Love the look of these trucks, all business but a thing of beauty
Pics of old BCFP unit #207 at Hayes Truck show summer 2012
Look at those old riveted wheels. Been a few years since I laid eyes on any of those.
Jim Falconers 1972 Hayes HD with off set cab at The Hayes Anniversary show last year
BCFP's truck # 205 Couple pictures of BCFP's truck number 205.Here is #205 getting loaded, not sure what year picture one was taken but i think 205 is brand new . Picture 2 is close up of #205 sitting in Port Renfrew 1959 waiting for its driver to head to the dump .( looking a little rough already )
Boy I sure miss the days of having to paint the logs as well as stamp them.
075 After the yellow log marking paint did you guys go through the green crysals that you dumped into a 5 gal bucket and then applied to each end of every log with a sponge wired onto a long stick? Very easy to identifiy the second loaders in the cookhouse at dinner cause they were covered in green dye That stuff wouldnt wash off---had to wear off. Funny thing was when splashed on the truck it wouldnt stain the white paint but sure would discolor the M&B red. Back then everything was 21over12 or HZ041 -- Crown or Ownership A much simpler time
Rayonier had a better idea. Why just dab the paint on with a brush.Lets mix it with diesel, and spray green paint on both ends with a pump can while you stand on the stamping station. It went every where but where you needed it .I think that is why we had green hoods!!!!
Can someone tell me how to post pictures on this forum. I'm a new member, and have some pics of my dad's old trucks i would like to share.
pglogger; welcome aboard! You have to make 3 posts before you can add pics. Recently I made a little how to do, I just can't remember in which thread I posted it.. LOL I'll find and let you know.
Look in thread "Vintage Macks" post #71 this migth help you! Here is a link!
OK thanks, Hayesno1, checked out the link. Should be able to figure it out from there.
Hayes HD logging truck with water tank at the 90th Hayes anniversay truck show. It belongs to Falconer. I had seen pics of her before but first time I saw her for real. Nice little truck. I don't know much about her- Maybe "HDX" can ad some information.
I'm not sure if this has been posted. Sorry if it has. I've been storing this safely for a lot of years...
Hayes Taken a couple years ago by a friend
Aw new pics of the trucks i have seen before very nice awesome work Ap40 how are you been a long time sense i have heard from you so did you get the pic of the mack r700 i built from Dave. like to do a Hayes hd 400 then the hdx Dave mentioned them some time in the future so Next project i have in mind is the big peterbilt 397 looking for the specs on it
Hi Ap40 nice pics of the model trucks very cool so how are you
HMMM Saginaw Michigan, You can only be one friend from my past. How the heck are you? Rick
I'm doing pretty good checking out the threads here lot of big logging trucks there is one i like to build is the pete 397 the red and white water truck that truck is huge were there any built for logging i have a black and white pic of it no tanks on it the tires must be pay hauler size it looks easy to build one . Jeff
Only 2 were ever built, one was lost in a fire. The other ended up in Heavy haul. A logger version would be all imaginary. Ap40
I'm getting started to build an Hayes HDX 1000 log truck in 1:25th scale from scratch lot of great pics here to help aid me in the build question looking for some nice shots of the frame and cross members it self i like to pay close attention to the correct shape and details of it thanks
Are you aware of the fact that Dave Natale in New jersey has patterns for a HDX-1000 from a 1/25th scale kit that used to be offered by Jim Etter of Model Truck And Fire Apparatus. I also have a kit in 1/87th scale that might be of some help, I can send you photos of the frame if it's of any help. Don Mills Don Mills Models
Don, The WHDX-1000 that AITM has is the same one that was originally mastered & cast by Jim Etter & AIM. Although it can be built up to a reasonable model, it is far from accurate. Most of the molds are worn out & are cost preventive to replace in today's market. Many of the patterns are so heavy handed and crude that a full on scratch build will yield a far better & more accurate molds of these fantastic trucks. That being said, if a modeler were to purchase one of your exquisite 1/87 Hayes HDX-1000's that was patterned by a true master of the craft & scale it up to 1/25,well the results would be nearly perfect. Kind Regards Ap40rocktruck
If I get a chance this weekend and it is not raining to hard I will take some pictures of the HDX Frame sitting here in Port McNeill. There was two but some one bought the other. When I get them I will pm you and get your email address ap40rocktruckand send them to you.
Thanks 075 that will be great i will be able to build an accurate model of the truck if possible please get a side shot of the frame as well thanks again best regards offhighwaytruck
1/25 hdx Hi i've built 2 1/25 Hdx's exact scale have complete drawings for all Hdx's will post photos tonight 1 H320 preload and 1965 Hdx convential
That will be great thank you greatly hayeslogtruck i tried to build one from the resin kit before Dave owned A.I.T.M. it didn't work out so well this time i am going for it and build it completely from scratch be my first full scratch built model. best regards offhighwaytruck
Looking forward to seeing your models!
there will be pics of build and a completed model
these are pics of the clark BD71000 /BD91000 tandems found on hayes hdx trucks
Is there any way you could post those pictures larger? I'm building a set of those right now for my RC 850KW. Reg
2 diffent HD dump trucks both involded building logging roads
Hayesno1 Good post!!! The last two pictures of the dump truck unit R111 That old girl started her life as a M&B Nanaimo River Division logging truck. When they amalgamated Nanaimo River Division and Copper Canyon Division they surplused and sold off most of all these trucks The "Lipper" also being one of them. However these trucks did get bought up and went on to work in many other parts of the industry The above truck was 1 of 8 ordered in 1955. They came with Rolls Royce 6 cyl engines and 4600 rear ends. Also of interest is the fact that they were ordered with 11:00x22 tires as well as 11 foot bunks and were used to haul to a rail road re-load were the loads were lifted off the trucks and transferred to railroad skeleton cars. I have managed to find 5 out of 8 of these survivors only two have the original RR engine still in them. Not all of them were sold off right away because a couple of them were kept as mobile light towers. they were used as light power units for nightshift logging and had folding towers with big generators and lights mounted on them. Sure did light up the hillside at night!!! A couple of us (Vic Laughlin and Dave Lowe and I) were lucky enough to be able to save one of them just before it was to be scrapped. Sandy Macham from Nanaimo(old time Copper Canyon mechanic and historian)was instrumental in doing all the talking on our behalf. Several of us went down and loaded her(H89) as well as 2 spare Rolls Royce Engines on to a lowbed and brought her to Port Alberni. This was to be one of the best days we ever had because I phoned one of the oldest HAYES people still around and he met up with us to come and help. He was working at HAYES when these trucks were delivered brand new in 1955.His name was Tom Everett and he spent all day with us and he loved every minute of it!!! However she remained untouched for many years but at least under cover so she fared quite well. The heritage society in town here is in the process of redoing her. They sent her to the Vocational school in Nanaimo where the back end was redone and the rad was stolen. She still has her RR engine in her and they found another rad (donated by Jim Falconer) and she is still being fixed up by various members from what I been told. I will send some of the pictures of that memorable day to Hayesno1 and maybe he can post them
I've been following this thread since it started and have noticed the same paint scheme on quite a few of the pictures, yellow, white stripe and green. Are these factory colors or a company paint scheme?
no i was not able to make them larger but heres the website where you can enlarge them go to west world truck and equipment there you can see larger pics of the axles
looking for a nice pic of the steering system on a hayes hdx truck i believe its a gemmer/vickers one
HDX; Thanx for great information re R111 (McKay truck) - the ex. M&B Nanaimo River Division logging truck. For sure mail pics and I will post them!
HDX, I agree with Hayesno1, that is a great bit of history & a even better save. RR power & tiny tires, interesting combination. Looking forward to the pics. Any of the RR power plants? Were all 8 painted the same? Ap40
Some pics of #H89 with RR engine and close up pics of HD steering system. I will see if I got pics of HDX steering system
HDX, What was the cubic inch of the RR motors? were they turbo or naturally aspirated? Ap40
A few more pics of #H89 at 90th Hayes Anniversary show last year
Great shots (as usual) so what is the slightly used blue beast to the left? Ap40
well it's a HD model, maybe from 1961? I think present owner is Grant Carter from Port Alberni, but HDX will know for sure. First time I saw her was back in 2005 at Honeymoon Bay. It had a log loader on. I have posted some pics of that truck before but I can´t remember where.. LOL.. When I saw her in 2005 she had a plate in her cab. Serial number had only 6 digits so cab was older than 1961, so I am sure which year she was built, but cab has maybe been changed. I am pretty sure HDX can fill in her history so please HDX!!
WOW, Great shots of the old girl. Re-powered with a 3406E Cat, and a CAC just sort of tossed together out front. Still amazes me how small looking the flex frame is on that vintage HD. Thanks for sharing Ap40
Some pics of same truck but way back in 2005.
Nice, looks like it was Cummins power at the time of these photos. Any rear views or more on the loader works? Ap40
Some pictures my mom and dad took of H17 at Sarita Lake. I think this was 2006 but I'm not positive.
Timeframe is right We were still Hayes Forest then. We were working 6 and 3 shift. I was very lucky because this was the ONLY truck NOT double shifted. On my days off she was not used I will always be grateful to those guys for that She was renumbered T1051 but Al Waugh and Scotty McCallum got her number changed to T0017 so she still carried the 17 number
I was sent a link to this forum at the beginning of last week and have just spent the last seven days solid reading this thread! I have been fascinated by the West Coast logging scene ever since I was sent a postcard of what I now know to be a Hayes truck back in the late 1960s. Sadly, living in England I have never had the chance to get over to see these beauties in action, probably just as well as I would inevitably end up buying one for restoration. The timber industry in the UK has never been a patch on yours! Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread for making it probably the most interesting place on the whole of the Internet! The breadth and depth of knowledge here is breathtaking, and the photos are superb! Please keep it coming. I am now off to read the BCFP and Challenger threads.
I've remember seeing some unique machines plying the backroads near Oxford while I was cycle touring back in the late '80s. I remember being passed by a loaded chain driven logging truck with a decent load on - some sort of early COE affair. Then there was the Traction engine that was meandering along another small back road - belching it's lovely black smoke. I might have got pics of one of them - I'll have to check. So I would say that you are also surrounded by interesting sights in your part of the world.
Yes indeed, very different. The main haulers over here from the late 30s up to the 80s were generally ex-Military vehicles like the AEC Matador, de-mobbed and fitted with a simple crane. Logs were generally hauled on pole trailers. About the only purpose-built logging trucks were those made by Unipower from about 1930 onwards to the late 1960s, and now very collectible (I'm still looking for one to preserve). The nature of the UK logging industry, at least until very recently, was very different: mainly hardwood, only short hauls from the forest to the mill, and of course our roads are so small that all our trucks have to be tiny! Up to about WW2 the steam traction engine was the principal tools for extraction. Now the situation is very different and most harvested wood is softwood, but still on a much smaller scale. Road haulage is not typically a 44-tonne artic unit, Volvo or Scania, that sort of thing, and almost without exception COE. Bonnetted units are very rare here. I am not aware of any Hayes trucks of any sort ever being shipped to the UK. Anyone know different? PS I do have family living in BC (Salt Spring Island) and keep meaning to visit - somehow never seem to get round to it though.
I'm right across from Salt Spring Island on Vancouver Island. You should impose yourself on your relatives and come explore.
Sorry Ap40 this is what I got. Truck was parked so there was no access from rear.
I got these great pics from HDX showing #H89 from Nanaimo River. HDX; thanks for sharing. As #T04 what was "T" meaning?
Is that Soup Campbell standing next to the lowbed in pic 1?
offhighwaytruck; a few pics of steering system - all from HDX(3 different trucks) - I hope you can use them I think I got a pic or to from down and upwards (frog pic)
Jackd Yes it is Soup Campbell and Jamie Bracht as well as Vic Laughlin . The other guy in the pictures is Sandy Macham. If it were not for Sandy that truck would have been long ago cut up !!! We met up with Tom Everett at the highway and he drove his car up behind us . The pictures I took with him in them I sent to him in Victoria. Unfortunatly I only have them now in the negative form. Jamie bracht donated his Low-Bed for the trip and Soup and his dog "Sayah" were also there helping out. While we were there Sandy happened to mention the fact that there was an 850 Kenworth truck that was also going to get cut up so we were given about an hour to get as much off her as we could before we had to leave. We ended up with a 12 foot logging bunk stuffed under the truck on the bed as well as a steel box on the deck stuffed full of treasures (truck parts) and the two extra Rolls Royce engines!!! The statute of limitations has run out now so its safe to mention the KW parts LOL All in all it was just one of those days you wished would never end Good friends Good times It just dont get any better
Thanks Hayesno1 these will work perfect i new it was some kind of hydraulic system just didn't know how it was mounted on the truck. i.m in thew drawing phase waiting for plastic to get here to start the build. i will post pics as soon as i take them on progress of the project
thanks again Hayesno1 theses will work as well the steering system seems to be the same for Hayes hd and hdx trucks the way they are mounted is different for each truck
I have been studying the Hayes hdx front axle come to find out that the axles are tubular with i beam ends has anyone done one in 1:25TH scale or has an idea to the best way to build one not sure if my idea will work i was going to take some 5/16 inch tubing make a center mark measure on each side of that mark out to the length i need for the tube part of the axle then ad some dome ends to it cut a center slit of the dome part cut some plastic into the i beam shape and slip into the cut slit sand and shape it to the desired look to match the pics of this type of axle if my idea is ok let please let me know thanks. offhighwaytruck
Pics of old M&B Hayes HDX preloader unit #H319. First pic shows her when she still was running for HFP as unit #T8158 at Franklin in summer 2007. Next 2 pictures show her after she was rebuilt by Mt. Sicker. Thanx for those pics
Hayes hdx 1000 frame what is the thickness of the steel used to make them BEST REGUARDS offhighwaytruck
Started the project today thanks for the great thread on hayes log trucks its a huge help again thanks to everyone who posted a pic of these awesome trucks.
View attachment 100712 The start of the 1:24th scale hayes hdx 1000 log truck heres a pic of patterns so far of the rear solid mount trunnion cut from .040 plastic sheet
Hayes HDX preloader converted to firetanker. I think this is old BCFP unit #40-127.
BCFP Caycuse Division Truck Unit 6-250 when new. Last of the classic Hayes HDX winch trucks !!!!
Here is shared pic of an an old Hayes HDX. Can anybody add some information on her? It could be an old M&B truck with the red rims
Hayes Clipper 200 selfloader on Vancuover Island summer 2010.
2181
More of 2181
2213 Turbo let go and we found oil coming from inside the air to air. So it got a new air to air.
GoldriverHD Thanks for posting those pictures of the HDX She is looking a little tough at the moment but im sure she will get tiddled up again. She still has the ProMac rear hubs on her!!! I liked those a lot. Was that truck originally one of Butch Carroll's trucks ??? Just looks like one of his from long ago! Nice to see a shop again Kind of makes a guy homesick for what use to be LOL
I'll ask around for more info on 2181.
Hayes lowbed from 1953 that was for sale some years ago. sn# 3061439
Pics of Hayes HDX 45-115 sn 4017 Detroit 12V71 Allison 5960 Clark 91000 15 ft bunks Hayes 50 ton trailer. This truck was auctioned about 5 years ago. I don't know where she went or if she was parted out for spare parts.
This is a set forward HDX model. I'm pretty sure she was a preloader when she left factory. sn# 4218; spec: Detroit 12V71, 91000 rears 15 ft bunks. This truck may be parked on QCI. Maybe Trakloader can acknowledge..
S/N 4218 HDX 45-95 12V71 with 70,000 Clark rear ends Delivered to AH Longland May 27/71 in Courtenay BC She was spec'd out the same as all the Crown Z trucks at that operation She WAS a preload truck Hayesno1. Does not say anything about a trailer so probably she was used along side the Crown trucks and pulled their 60 Ton preload trailers. Last time I saw it in the preload configuration was up at his shop in the 80's. I will try and find the pics of it at that time You can see the rear deck dog and saddles have been cut off the back of the water tank and patched over. Its a shame to see these old girls like this now. There is not a lot of the preload trucks left now when you think just how many were built.
Clipper/ex-loader truck Current condition of the Self Loader Clipper in post#1161 a few above here.You can see where the thimble was cut off the front bumper.
HDX; thanks for information. Yes it's sad to think about that so few preloads have survived. Quite a few have been rebuilt to standard logging truck configuration. Why is that? Are maintenance costs higher than on a standard logging truck? Does anyone know if there are any of CZ HDX preload trucks still going strong as preload logging trucks?
Here is one of the last HDX built. sn#6829 with aDetroit 12V71; 91000 rears and 14 ft bunks
Hayesno1 You are right again One of a 5 truck order by Canadian Cellulose. trucks were delivered with 60 ton trailers Only 2 WHDX's built for spain July/75 and 6 HDX's after that order. Tahsis got one and Dougan got one Canadian Bechel got two and M&B got the last two.
The one Tahsis got went to Zeballos . Hauled for one month then had a run away and crushed the cab. The driver jumped out and broke his hip. The truck came back rebuilt and is now in Gold River I think.
075 thanks for the info At least she is still around. The two Canadian Bechel got both came with 121 rear diffs and Cummins KT engines They also took delivery of a WHD at the same time and it also came with 121 rears and a Cummins 400 engine Now that would have been a truck to see up close, A flex frame with 121's
I believe on page 78 truck 2213 is the HDX that came from Zeballos.
#2213 is old M&B unit #H166 from Cameron Div. See posts #472 and #477 at this thread. I know there is another Hayes HDX at Zeballos. I can't remember WFP unit number, but she got a high raised Pacific cab. I'll find a pic of her. This might be the one Tahsis got new?
This might be the truck that went to Tahsis in 1974/75? These pics were taken in Port McNeill. WFP #2167. I got some pics of her when she was in Zeballos.
Hayes HDX with set forward axle. Owner Contractor Faris from Parksville.
Hayesno1 that is the same old girl as posting #1169 Just a few owners and a few years before
2 shares Hayes ads. #2 shows the first built HDX model(left truck). Look at cab, it got a single windshield!
I will forward you a couple of pictures of the FIRST HDX Hayes built. That picture above shows her when she was getting on in age. Originally built by Hayes for "Butler Bros" in Sooke She was sold to Bill Neil after Butler Bros were finished with her. She ended up going up the coast to a camp and had a runnaway and was brought back down to Nanaimo to Intertruck where I think she was parted out. The original cab with the one piece windshield was replaced with a regular HDX cab sometime in her career. The original cab has been lost to history but we are kicking around cloning one of the clipper door HDX's and trying to duplicate the original truck. It would be interesting to see how something like that would turn out!!! When Hayes was building her in the factory there was three different style cabs on the floor around her and yet they chose to build a one-of cab just for this truck. Will forward pics when time permits Hayesno1
What year was the single window truck? My Dad remembers seeing it parked at Butlers when he was a boy riding the school bus and wanted me to ask about it a while back. Did it have a 6-110 in it? How many HDX's were made in total? So many questions.... I know you have the answers HDX!!! Thanks Reg
RCP57 She was the FIRST HDX Hayes built 1954, came with a 67303 GM 6B6792 engine. I will send the pics to Hayesno1 on the weekend to post Very funny looking for its time but they sure evolved from that first one!
Thanks for the info! Any idea how many were built in total between that one and H17? Looking for ward to seeing more pictures. Did the truck go to Espinosa Inlet after Sooke?
HDX; thanks for information and confirming it's #4218. I thought it migth be the same truck but I had my doubts when looking at pics of her at post #1180, as she seems to have a very short hood, but it must be the angle of the pics... LOL
HDX; thanks for sharing ad and information re first built HDX. That must have been a very unique truck for it's time. I don't think I have seen any truck make with that kind of I-beam frame being used in the logging industy before the HDX was introduced.
Here is a very nice and huge HD dump truck. She is still going strong on the Island. Owner A. Son's
Another Faris owned truck. I think it is an old HDX from the 60's - rad is not wide and width over fenders seems smaller. Looks like 70.000 rears but I am not good at that. Maybe HDX can fill up with some information. Pics were taken in summer 2000 at Tom Turners place.
More pics of same truck
My favorites, old Hayes. My first ride in a Truck was a Hayes when I was 9. Loved it. Not one of these beasts but a Hayes non the less. Do 1 of you very knowledgeable gentlemen know what the new price of an HDX with trailer was in say 1970?
Hayes HD truck that was for sale summer 2010 in Campbell River. I lost track of her. At door it says G&F Logging Co. Ltd. Hope BC
Hdx Old Olympic H277 has a bit of damage here but maybe will be saved. Looks like it has a KT cummins in it, couldn't find the s/n as the paint was pretty thick on the frame. History anyone?
Looks like she has been laid over on the drivers side!
The water tank didnt come with that truck It came with an older HDX with a Clark Trans in it that is why it sits so high off the frame
YEAH HI FROM DOWNUNDER GUYS! LUV all this big gear hey. Just wondering how many trucks BCFP had in their heyday? Looks like there were afew!
Fast disappearing into the weeds...
She is a 1967-1969 HD still VERY savable--Brushguard and rad are still good-- Cab is straight , YUP she should get hauled home
Pretty sure I know where that is westwold? If its the one I am thinking of I Am going to see if I can buy it. Could somebody post some pics for me I can email them to you don't have a computer just my cell phone.
Almost looks like she could have been a M&B QCD truck at one time.
Lets just step back and scope her out. Just say by some chance the owners decided to keep her original unit number H277 !!!! Yup she is a WHDX and she still does have a Clark style water tank on her AND M&B did get an H277 at Squamish Division with a Clark Auto Trans just like the truck above so maybe just maybe she is old H277 Greatwestcam if the chance comes to check her out again look at the dash and see if there is 3 big holes in it for the Speedo -- Tach-- and Converter Tach all the same size. She came new Aug 7/67 V12 GM 90,000 rears and a Clark auto trans. s/n 7073284. If you get inside look for old highway crossing permits or any old moving permits that will have the s/n on them. My money is on her being H277.
I was looking at the pic's of the other Squamish Division truck posted here last summer by Hayesno1 post #996. There is not much left of her but look at the front bumper-- The steps are cut out just like H277. This was done on most of their trucks.
Good eye for detail HDX, will try to get some more pics when out next, or if 69hayes is in the neighborhood...hint hint. lol
1974 Hayes HD 35-78 Serial Number 5344 Picked this one up awhile back and we are slowly getting her cleaned up; Runs like a top but needs TLC and misc parts. I took her for a spin here on the island tonight and took this picture coming off the neighborhood woods road about 7:30pm. Her working life is over and we will give her a happy retirement; I am considering running this one in our July 4th parade. She was sitting in the weeds and it took some asking before the owners agreed to sell. Long story, but another Hayes saved!
Rusty, She is looking good, glad you saved her for lots of people to see.
Hopefully you can see it and it's not gigantic, it had Hayes mudflaps anyone know what it is?
Trevor Bennett's HD Hayes He bought her off his dad Rich. What a class act that is!!! Rich Bennett originally had a 3408 in it and added the tandem steering. She has been rebuilt a time or two but when you put money back into them upgrading them it sure does show. She has an E9 Mack right now but it is getting timed out and harder to get parts for. Trevor also owns and runs a Yellow HD Hayes Logger on the island here. Also looks uptown
Rusty Grapple HD 35-78 s/n 5344 Delivered June 18 1974 10 3/4 inch frame 193 inch wheel base 46-40 rears 9.03 ratio, Cummins NTC 350 s/n 10414901 Fuller T0905-B main trans s/n3006491 Aux trans Spicer 1241-C s/n 1852491/BM-300977-10 Truck was originally Odell Blue CIL 2331-8005 and Superior White CIL 2331-81000 also Black Cilux 2334-8080 Sorry there is not too much info but that's it Good Luck with her and Thanks for saving her for all to see. Well Done!!!
Show Truck Mr. Grapple that is a fine example of a real work horse. It is not in like new condition, but I personally think it would be perfect in any truck show. I'd love to see her, work trucks deserve respect, she's earned her's. I'd say put her in the show! Thanks for the update on one of your trucks..............got any more? Thanks for preserving history.
She's all original in terms of running gear, and the factory blue paint can be seen in areas around the frame where the paint is peeling or scratched- she wasn't sandblasted when the yellow went on. I really do like the yellow over the blue and I must say the more I drive this truck the more I love it! The drivers door wears all the original tags and along with the Hayes tags there is a Reliance tag so at some point it must have worn a Reliance box. The box on the truck today (has been there a long time) is a 15 yard Truckweld with dual external 4-stage cylinders (with subframe) and rumored to have come off a wrecked Mack DM800 many years ago. The truck has lots of neat features including a working AM/FM, heated mirrors, working heater/defroster, etc and given it's age and life all that amazes me. While a little rough around the edges, she is really cozy to run. If you have another Hayes gathering in the future like the big roundup last summer we will try to figure out how to show up with HD #5344. Thanks for the info and as you may imagine we have a zillion questions for you regarding misc parts, advice, and a real desire to bring her back. Naturally I have taken so many pics of the truck I get dizzy looking through them but here are a few more quick shots! Thanks for the kind words you guys and again I absolutely love this truck, even just the way she is today- in her work clothes.
Hayes HDX 45-115 parts and service manual for sale on Kijjij http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...Logging-Truck-Parts-Manual-W0QQAdIdZ495359340 Somebody might be interested in it.
This is the manual that was delivered with your new truck In this case it was H290 from Sproat Lake Division. The price is too high for what it is but if you are really interested then the price does not matter. At least the guy didn't throw it out. Good post Drifter
Rusty Grapple The right hand fender is original but the drivers side has been reworked. Are you able to come up with the headlight box's (Quad Headlite's)that were mounted on them. Being as she was a wide-rad they were on the fenders and not mounted on the side of the rad like the needle-nose HD's Are you going to eventually change the front bumper over to the Push style??? I know too many questions
Yes the fenders are both in 'used' condition and you can see some differences in them; the original fender (RH) is in need of some TLC for sure. The headlights and bumper? would LOVE to add those but am not sure where to look for parts just yet. Any good leads on a bumper and headlight buckets? Also need the 'Hayes' logo to add to the upper rad guard and the wiper motors seem to be stuck- haven't dug into that yet. Its a good project and has GREAT bones but a long ways to go yet. Any and all advice will be welcome and would very very much appreciated HDX!
Do you have the brass Hayes rad cap? It threads on, if not I might be able to get you one. PM me if you need one
Lynn Valley headwaters 1977
I got you covered with the HAYES script for the brushguard We gotta talk though cause there was two different styles. The difference was where the middle stud is located (3 studs) I will PM and we can talk You are also missing the two door bears!!!
Hi I have a kit that I made up to convert it to electric wipers if u are interested.
Good picture. I wonder how much weight it can carry. I wish I could see that personally.
Road crew HD gravel truck that I drove for a friend from Campbell River, was an old Ed Garso (wrong spelling) truck, he had a lot of them back in the day, Hayes and Kenworth. all had 250 cummins and 5 & 4 trans and 44 rears.
I sure hope it wasn't you who bent that bumper up Cam
Antique Truck Show - Duncan I had the pleasure of stopping by this annual event this morning. The highlight for me was hearing the old Saunders K-37 Hayes from the nearby Forestry Museum fire up and drive up the hill into the exhibition compound. It has been many years since that wonderful sound passed through my ears - unlike many of you I do not work in the woods anymore. Here are some pics from today. I will post pics in other threads to show the variety of what was there.
Was not I, that's how it looked when we got it, did a bunch of repairs then went back to work. When we got it I drove it down from Port McNeil and when we pulled the front hubs off the bearings were so blue and rough I bet one more mile I'd been in the weeds..lol
More Hayes... These two were missed yesterday.
was this free to get into? I drove by it when I was on my way home from work last week but didnt stop cause I was in a rush. Kind of regret it now.
Free it was.
Very nice looking rigs
Any buddy looking for a Hayes to buy? There is one in the south okanagan that is for sale. Send me a private message and I will get the phone number. It's a HD 72 or 73
Drifter can you post a pic or two of her???? There is guys on here looking all the time Thank You
Hdx HDX from the Nass in 1981. group pic is from Westar, Twin River in Terrace. could be some of the trucks Forshner bought a few years later. shared photo's
awesome shot
Sorry HDX I didn't have a chance to get a pic of it. It's a blue HD with two round lights in the fenders. It's just south of OK Falls on Highway 97 east side of the highway with a blue water tank.
Drifter That's OK Thanks for the heads up. Somebody will check her out I'm sure
SPMiller would you happen to know the history of the HDX in post 1232 ? When I worked at Eve River division we rebuilt H37 with a Pacific cab and made a new radiator guard just like the one in the picture. I believe we put extra handles on the hood as well. The fellow who was driving it at the time had only one good arm so we put extra handles on it. The truck also had 121 axles in it as well.
H-37 HD Mech, You found her. That truck is Mr. David Perry's old number 37.
It looks like it has been looked after really well. I really enjoyed helping rebuild it back in the day. I still think it looked better RED and WHITE!
Everything looks better in RED and WHITE.
We have a great picture of 37 at our office. First trip to woods after rebuild. Have another picture of Larry Hickford standing in front of H-22 after her rebuild as well. Many old M+B shots. Just have never had time to post them.
Well Well Well it seems you north island guys are keeping a secret!!!! Tell us all a story about a Low-Bed and a Hayes HDX pushtruck! Seems the Madill Grapple Yarder came out on top Ring any bells guy's!!!!
I hadn't heard the story about the lowbed and push truck. The only thing I remember is when the Y-03 was being low bedded from Kelsey after it came off the barge the swing brake band broke as the truck crossed the Eve River and slowly swung the boom out over the side of the bridge. The truck driver got it shutdown before anything happened, but it gave him a bit of a scare as the lowbed leaned way over. The only picture I have of H37 is after it was rebuilt Ted Klettke took a picture of the shop crew standing around it. The foreman gave us all a copy and I still have it on the fridge at home. By the way, I managed to keep the " EVE RIVER WE DELIVER " banner, my most prized keepsake.
Hdx HDX, Are you referring to this week in Holberg? I haven't heard any details.
All I heard was 144 1 HDX 0 Apparently the maxi on the grapple yarder failed and it rolled off the lowbed on to the HDX while the HDX was pushing the lowbed .No more details than that right now
Yes that's the one! Guess we have to wait for 075 to come to the info table. I saw just one photo of the push truck and it sure got my attention! So many hours spent behind a lowbed over the years and it always crosses your mind "Jeez what if" then you forget about it. When you look at the stuff we have pushed pulled and dragged up mountains that we never should have--just lucky I guess. Now the sad part begin's THE DREADED PAPERWORK The investigators will come up with the most unusual findings and remedies. In the old days with M&B at the top of the investigation report it said "Cause and remedy--Not Blame" Now its -- Well You signed off on this move so you must be responsible for this TARFU!!!!
HDX Just found this sight posting #182 is a picture of 6-205 I believe it was new at BCFP Harris Cr. and that would the Harris Cr. shop . My mermory,s a little hazy but Fred Call drove either the 6-204 or 6-205 when it was new until he got the 6-222 arond 1970 when Wady Weeks moved off the 6-222 to the 66-138. which ever truck it was was in mint condion as Fred was a great driver and really babied it.
HDX posting #63 is picture of Steel Rock,s #2 a later posting is a letter from the owner explain,s it,s history back to the late and great Bill Neil . Bill had his last two truck,s an 849 or 850 Kenwort #16 and HDX Hayes #18 hauling with us at BCFP Renfrew Div. from 1980 to 1985. I believe Bill bought it new and I know it was his last HDX Hayes . Our friend Michael Dean did a painting of a yellow HDX crossing a wooden bridge at the bottom of Tr.11 crossing the Gordon R. That is Bill Neil,s last HDX Hayes with Carl Carlson at the wheel. Its nice to see it found agood home . I took the picture I own the origeninal painting and when I picked it up I mention to Michael Carl was alive ,he gave me a reprint to give carl . Carl stiill has his wits about him, got be in his 80,s and it sure made his day.
Good to hear Carl Carlson is still alive and kicking, I worked with him at CE (Ted) Routh trucking from 86 to 90 when he retired. Remember him talking many times about Bill Neil. there was another driver there named Don Kennedy from Renfrew area, the two of them would tell some tall tales didn't know if they were all true or not but were fun to listen to.
Nice load.....eh
Greatwestcam Carl still tells a great yarn. I spent awhile with him the day I dropped off the pictures ,we had quite a chuckle as he was telling me about his 2nd Hooking days on the steam skidder at Bear Cr. One of his tricks to get a rest was to send in 2 or 3 light turns to use up the steam prssure then load it down with a heavy turn. Then he and his choker men got a rest while the Fireman worked his butt off to build up the steam pressure. Your right Carl never runs out of tales to tell.
HDX As I was browsing through this web sight on posting #769 I found a reference to BCFP Nekite Div. 6-247 know doubt it is the #6-247 .It had a ram under the truck bunk to hook up to the lowbed the #6-254 had the same setup. what might explain the smoth frame where the serial # should be is the fact the Nekite Main was reasonably flat valley bottom and was about as rough as any off highway haul road Ive been on. Combind that with a driver named Dave Uppton whos only speed was flat out and drove both the 6-247 and 6-254 and you have two not so old HDXs that had a pretty tough life . The frame on the 6-254 broke behind the battery box when I was there in 1979 . I would think someone has done alot of welding and grinding on those truck when they were rebuilt.
HDX Just stumbled across posting #1182 an artical on Bill Neils first HDX and first HDX built . I shared the road with Bill from 1980 to 1985 at BCFP Renfrew Div. 1980 -1982 we stayed in the bunk houses at camp . Many evenings at mug up were spent shooting the breeze . I recall him telling us about the first HDX beening wrecked down at Sooke hauling for Butlers ,it had to have been in the early the 1970s as he pulled out of Butlers around 1976. He told us he replaced the original cab with the cab off a highway truck he found up island . He left Butlers with three trucks . His newer HDX went to Kokish CZ with his son Larry driving it he took his 850 Kenworth to CZ Nitnat and sent his old HDX up Jervis Inlet to Domans OB Logging He told us about a new driver breaking in on it ,he suspected the driver and trainie were BSing in the cab and forgot to charge the trailer with air.The truck had a run away and got wrecked,at that time as far as he knew the wreck was still at OB Logging
OK camptramp Good thinking We knew she was wrecked up there but that was all. Heard she might have ended up at intertruck in Nanaimo to be finally parted out but another pure speculation thing No solid proof. Our little Hayes Club is going to McLeans Mill truck show next weekend and we are going to make it kind of a BCFP Tribute weekend Every year we try to complement the Heritage society here in town that holds this show out there and our little club makes the effort to try and honour at least one company Elk River Timber has been done and several other little companies so we thought that this year we would do BCFP. The heritage society has mostly port alberni stuff so we try to add to the mix if you will So drag along all the BCFP guys you can find and do the road trip thing OH and don't forget your pictures LOL I will bring a couple truck pictures from Brittain River Division as well
Some Skogland trucks from Terrace BC. in the 1970's.
Came across this one in Dawson City Yukon a couple weeks back. It was apparently owned by Antler out of Prince George originally and it had some sort of boom affair on it for yarding logs when this guy bought it many years ago. He installed the dump box and has been using it to haul paydirt for years. I didn't know where to look for serial numbers but I think he said it was a 69. It has a Cummins and a 5-4 trans...He was asking $10k for the truck. I have a few more shots of it if anyone is interested... Reg
Yeah Reg, More shots are always welcome. That HD is in remarkably great shape, wish i lived closer... Ap40
Yeah I really wanted to bring it home but it wouldn't fit in our camper...I thought the cab was in amazing shape and it would make a great show truck! I'll post up some more shots in a bit. Reg
...a few more pictures
last couple... Reg
So Reg, did you measure it for a future R/C build???? sure would look sweet with your KW 850.......... Ap40
No measurements but the thought of building one has been on my mind....it would look great beside the 850...
Greatwestcam, what model Cat wheel loader would that be in pic #4, 980? Thanks Sigurd
looks like a 988 to me
Yes it is a 988 A model...87 A series....tough tough machines
Yep. Back when the extra you paid for a CAT machine got you something instead of just giving Caterpillar a big, fat profit.
Greatwestcam That set of pics you just posted of the two HDX's pulling pups sure got my attention. Here's some of the story on them! One of them was bought new by Ajax Logging in Terrace and delivered Aug 27/73 and the other truck was bought by them and delivered Nov 7/73 These two trucks ended up in the Ritchie Bros auction in Kitimat BC Thur June 7 1984 This was the big auction where all the Skoglund Logging Equipment was sold off. As it turned out a couple of us drivers tried to get M&B to buy them because Franklin River division had converted over to PreLoad trucks and these two would have fit right in BUT alas it was not to be. Crown Z bought hem both and sent them down to the coast right away. One of them was numbered 40-101 and this is where I came to know them. old 40-101 was being cut up at the Courtenay shop (At the "Y") and I managed to buy the cab off her. The drivers door was missing and some other things but for the most part it was a VERY GOOD CAB. Joe Wiley (Saratoga Ventures) helped me get it so I am eternally grateful to him for that. That cab would become the cab I rebuilt and installed on Elk River Timber #26 when we restored her. I had no idea what the history of 40-101 was until I started sanding down the cab and found a red stripe around the back and sand colored paint --that's when the lights went on, I went up and got the old R/B flyers out and started digging and there she was. Holy Cow!!! I never found out what happened to the sister truck because nobody seemed to know. I guessed that it might have become 40-102 or maybe 40-100 Only one of the old Crown Z guys might know I will get Hayesno1 to post some of the pictures for me Thanks for the flashback !!!!
HDX, you amaze me every time with what you tell us, great info as always:notworthy
Here's one, Celgars Hayes from Nakusp. 1971
Greatwestcam; great pics as usual. Those HDX preloaders looks great. Good to see some pics of Skoglunds trucks. They had quite a few Hayes and KW's in their fleet. Hope to see more pics of Skoglund trucks. HDX, thanks for filling in great information - for sure I will post those pics.
Very interesting. So to test my understanding, this is a HDX flex frame, conventional logger. Is the cab center mounted or off set? What was the power for it? I am guessing 12 x 24 boots, 10' bunks. Any idea of the wheel base? Still so much to learn, but what a great place to do so! Ap40
It also appears to have been repowered, to Cummins or Cat. Based on the second (and currently empty) stack protector, I would guess that it originally ran the usual 12V71. Edit: And what a coincidence, as this is also POST number 1271.
Ap40rocktruck; this is a HD with centermounted cab. The big difference between the hd and the hdx is The frame and the fenders. I will post some pics to show the differences between The 2 ok
I thought it was a HD, just asking for clarification as it had been referred to as a HDX in other posts, or at least seem so. :Banghead:Banghead Thanks Ap40
M&B Hayes at Squamish borrowed net pic.1968
I am still grieving for the loss of the company that, 40 years ago, ran ads on the back page of National Geographic magazine that said, 'There are no easy solutions, only intelligent choices.' Probably when the 988A was designed and built. The company made a good machine worth the extra money they charged for it. The product mad now is still expensive, but extra money you pay for the machine goes on the Caterpillar balance sheet, not into the product the customer uses. My motto now, 'Anything but Cat.' The company's treatment of its customers and their employees is a betrayal of the trust the company worked so,hard and long to build. Somewhere along the road, someone forgot the message from 40 years ago and took the easy solution to fatten the Caterpillar balance sheet. The numbers on that balance come from their customers and their employees. Sad but true. The company made me so upset that I took a couple of thousand dollars worth of Cat clothing I owned to the Sally Ann. I categorically refuse to spend anymore of my hard earned money to wear clothing advertising a business that isn't what it used to be. That hurt, I'll tell you. At least the homeless people are warm and the advertising Caterpillar is getting isn't costing them anything and I feel a lot better. That's what I call a win, win, win situation. How many times does something like that happen in a lifetime?
So here's little more info on the Holberg 144 escapade. The push truck was a P16, the regular truck driven by my next door neighbour. He showed me the video of the truck being pulled out of one side of the road, with intake plumbing all jury rigged up because of the damage to the front end of the truck when it was hit by the lowbed ramps flopping onto the truck. Truck is down for a bent frame. The 144 ended up up in the weeds, narrowly avoiding tipping over, but with little to no damage. Apparently the whole escapade was quite a show. I sure miss logging. Loggers have more fun at work than miners. But, miners make more money, sad to say, but true. That's why WFP has to pay young fellers to go their Logger's University. Too bad, they didn't have a deal like that when I was a kid. I would have even paid them, instead them paying me.
Ross and his 1928 Hayes-Anderson logging truck at the 90th Anniversary of Hayes trucks last year in Port Alberni.
R. Stephens Bute Inlet 1981
Wayne Palisters HDX Hayes in the line up at BCFP Caycues DLS
BCFP Renfrew Div !980 # 14 Ron Peters Trucking
BCFP Renfrew Div. 1983 or 84 #18 Bill Neil's last HDX Hayes loaded off Tr. 11 on to the Gordon R. M/L Carl Carlson at the wheel.
Pictures Took this picture just west of Loyd Minister This one is in Cranbrook Bc This one is for sale in OK Falls BC Found this one in a field south of Prince George BC. This one is mine that I bought this spring 1970 335 cummins 5+4 transmission HD 33/56 serial # 0033922. Soon to get a ground up restoration. HDX any chance you could tell us some info on it? Thanks
Nekite R. 1979 #221 WHD Hayes bought new by Cattermole Trethewey , aquired by BCFP when they bought out C&T. If a truck was a bit of an orphan and had a tough life your looking at it. The trailer was a miss match the rider bars were to close and wouldn't allow the trailer tires sit in them low enough to stay on the truck if the air bled off,if you loaded it with the bunk turned cross ways there were no ears on the bunk to hold the trailer in the center, the trailer would slide over to the right and hang off the side. I had it sitting in the rider bars with the bunk turned heading out early one morning hit a bump going down a bit of a hill trailer roll farword into water tank . Next bit of a hill I started up the trailer roll right off the back of the truck ,looked behind me to see the trailer on the ground with reach sticking straight up in the air . Luck'lly there was a front end loader not far away, used it to hook the trailer back up, dragged it up towards the loader turned it around by backing it up a rock face then backing it up for about a 1000 feet to get to the loader.
That was the FIRST WHD built by Hayes Looked better before lift turned a blind eye to her Any idea what ever became of her or where she ended up camptramp
HDX I`ve seen it somewheres on one of these threads I think it ended up at Elk River Timber as a water truck .
Drifter I just about fell down- I don't know where you found her but as soon as I saw the serial # it all fell into place. She was the first of a 6 truck order. Bought new by Rayonier Canada These trucks were delivered to Jordan River. Master Mechanic was Hal Fladager There are very few of these girls around and your is RARE I have one of them still in logging mode.Fully retired awaiting resto. Mine is unit # 2133 and yours was I believe 2128 I will double check with Hal Does yours still have the two Sangamo units on top of the dash instead of the Speedo and Tach???? Yours was delivered Jan 19/70Cummins NTC 335 serial#703196 Spicer 1263-A main serial #1210391 Spicer 8341 Aux serial # 1306951 rear ends are SRD's 754 ratio. Top speed 51 MPH 10:00X22 tires Truck color was Yellow #150. Looks like light yellow. Black shutters. The fuel tank was the flat one bolted to the front of the water tank that sat right behind the cab. These trucks were delivered with NO BRUSHGUARD it was to do with weight on the highway down there. How about blasting a couple more pics maybe interior shots for some of the guys on here. Congrats on your new addition to the family. OH by the way IS there anything left of the shifter boots These were the leather one's with a brass zipper and a caulk boot lace ???
Drifter check out posting #253 on this thread Its another one of her sisters
HDX 2128 is an 849 K/W in Juene Landing
Thanks for the information HDX! I will try and get some more interior pictures. It still has the funny looking tach on the dash. Not sure about the shifter boots but I don't remember seeing what you described. The truck isn't in to bad of shape still going to need a ton of work. The rear suspension is totally shot. I wounder if anybody has some pictures of those trucks when they were new?
Thanks for the information HDX! I will try and get some more interior pictures. It still has the funny looking tach on the dash. Not sure about the shifter boots but I don't remember seeing what you described. The truck isn't in to bad of shape still going to need a ton of work. The rear suspension is totally shot. I wounder if anybody has some pictures of those trucks when they were new?
Thanks for the information HDX! I will try and get some more interior pictures. It still has the funny looking tach on the dash. Not sure about the shifter boots but I don't remember seeing what you described. The truck isn't in to bad of shape still going to need a ton of work. The rear suspension is totally shot. I wounder if anybody has some pictures of those trucks when they were new?
075 OK Was not sure of the numbers and I went down from 2133. I will call Hal and ask him. Drifter Don't get too hung up about the rear suspension. What you are going to do is roll the entire bogie out of her and install an air ride suspension into it That will bring it into the 21st century Pete airtrac or NuWay anything like that will work. It will make your new truck ride like a mattress instead of a 2x4 with steel wheels. When you get the chance PM Me and I will help you with some ideas OK Thanks again 075
HDX check posting 1251 I was looking at posting 763 earlier
Drifter Your truck was Canadian Puget Sound Timber Co LTD unit #2131 Was talking to Doug last night so you are on the right track He is right handy to you so that will be a big help Keep us posted as to progress OK
BCFP Renfrew Div. #221 HDX Hayes originally a Caycuse truck transferred to Renfrew in 1980.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-222 HDX Hayes waiting to get dumped at Renfrew DLS.
After talking with camptramp we decided that the list of trucks would be a good idea. If any of you guys out there come across one of them out there somewhere in your travels please snap a picture of her and get it posted on here. It is not for some ones collection It is for history. There are very few people around the world that would have the chance to ever see them in person and this is our way of sharing them with you!!!! Truck numbers in the early years of BCFP are hard to figure out because this new company was buying other companies up and moving equipment around to suit their needs So in 1946 they bought out Industrial Timber and with them came two Hayes logging trucks--one of which is the old Hayes with the gravel box on her over in Sechelt The other was lost to history. Next they bought out Tom Brown Lake Logging Operation in Glendale Cove. That camp had 4 Hayes logging trucks. They were spread around their now BCFP camps when Glendale was shut down Two went to Britain River and two went to Vancouver Bay.In 1957 Britain River division was closed and moved across to a new camp called Glacier Creek. Smaller camp now so a few of the trucks were transferred to other camps. #172 ended up at Harris Creek. Im not sure how the rest played out but here they are Maybe some one out there knows some thing and can jump in here!!!! Industrial Timber two truck numbers unknown. Tom Brown Lake trucks: #1 stayed as #1 #2 became #159 #3 stayed as #3 #4 became #169 ex-Britain River truck 1954: 6-210 HDX Caycuse 6-209 HDX Caycuse 6-208 HDX Caycuse 6-207 HDX Caycuse 6-206 HDX Bear Creek/Harris Creek 6-205 HDX Bear Creek/ Harris Creek 6-204 HDX Bear Creek/Harris Creek 6-203 HDX Bear Creek /Harris Creek 1955 6-211 HDX Caycuse 6-212 HDX Renfrew 1956 HD Hayes 20-70 unit # unknown Operation unknown 6-213 HDX Caycuse 6-214 HDX Caycuse 1960 6-215 HDX Pitt Lake 6-216 HDX Pitt Lake 1961 6-217 HDX Pitt Lake This was the first BCFP truck with planetary rear ends 1962 6-218 HDX Pitt Lake 6-219 HDX Caycuse 6-220 HDX Caycuse 6-221 HDX Caycuse 6-222 HDX Renfrew 6-223 HDX Renfrew 1963 6-224 HDX Renfrew 1964 Hayes Log Unloader Renfrew 6-225 Renfrew for some reason there was no record of a 6-226 cant find anything about it 1965 6-227 HDX Pitt Lake 6-228 HDX Caycuse 1966 6-229 HDX Caycuse First HDX with flat front bumper (was only one built like that) 1969 6-230 HDX Caycuse First Allison Auto Trans in a BCFP truck 6-231 HDX Caycuse 6-232 HDX Renfrew 1970 6-233 HDX Caycuse 6-234 HDX Caycuse 6-235 HDX Pitt Lake 6-236 HDX Renfrew 6-237 HDX Renfrew 6-238 HDX Renfrew 1971 6-239 HDX Renfrew 6-240 HDX Caycuse 1972 6-241 HDX Caycuse 6-242 HDX Caycuse 6-243 HDX Renfrew 6-244 HDX Renfrew 1973 6-245 HDX Malibu 6-246 HDX Malibu 6-247 HDX Nekite 6-248 HDX Narrows With 2 trailers 6-249 HDX Caycuse 6-250 HDX Caycuse 1974 6-251 HDX Caycuse 6-252 HDX Caycuse 6-253 HDX Silver River 6-254 HDX Nekite This was to be the last Hayes BCFP bought Delivered Oct/1974 The reason for putting Bear Creek / Harris Creek on a couple of the early HDX's is because I was not sure of what camp they were really at
As a follow up to the early years there was some trucks that were missed and I don't know the location of some of them #159 ex Tom Brown #2 ????? #167 Vancouver Bay Division #168 Vancouver Bay Division #169 Britain River Division ex Tom Brown#4 #170 Britain River Division #171 Britain River Division #172 Britain River Division sent down to Harris Creek #173 Vancouver Bay Division #174 ????
HDX I have been lead to under stand in the late 1940's and early 1950's the logging trucks at Harris Cr. were Hayes ,the logging trucks at Bear Cr. were Kenworths . When Bear Cr. amaigamated with Harris Cr. in the late 1950's ,the best of Bear Cr. trucks were combined with Harris Cr. HDX Hayes. If theres anyone out there that can confirm this please let us know. If you know the numbers of the trucks at Bear Cr. or Harris Cr. from 1946 to 1960 again please let us know. I know Stan Harrison of Harrison Logging bought some of these trucks does any body know their numbers.
camptramp The Bear Creek/Harris Creek Trucks seemed to be like the Caycuse/Renfrew Trucks later on so that is why I included them together. I talked to 31Kenworth yesterday and he is going to try and post the Kenworth truck numbers and camps. I think you have all the P16 Pacifics down. When time permits we will do the MacMillan Bloedel Truck numbers. This should have been on the BCFP Thread so I will repost it over there also
BCFP Renfrew Div. HDX Hayes #6-222
Those "Happy Face" tires sure do date the pics don't they camptramp
Yea HDX I was driving #6-222 in 1981 82 Michellin or Bridgestone
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 1969 HDX Hayes
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-238 HDX Hayes
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-244 pulling adverse on the Harris Cr. M/L near the Harris Cr. summit
I took the above photos back in the 1990's just north of Nanaimo, BC. Sorry about the sloppy posting, my first try! I've been so engrossed with camptramp's great photos and stories, I kind of put off posting my own stuff.
Some photos taken around Squamish back in the 1990's
dmills1419 welcome aboard ,about time we got some new blood or should I say new pictures on here, look a hell've lot better than my first try . Keep posting variety's the spice of life.
Tripple C Logging HDX at Squamish, BC
Thats one I don't have ,filling up the water tank ,good one .
Ya, I saved that one. Thanks.
Saunders HDX at Ucluelet, BC
dmills1419 The red and white HD Hayes's were at M&B North West Bay Division Sadly they are all now long cut up and parted out and only live on in your pictures as with the Saunders HDX not sure but I believe she was parted out at their Nanaimo shop too many years ago
MB HDX on Lowbed at North West Bay Division Around 1992
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 at Honeymoon Bay DLS with a load of berries
Dmills1419; great pics - keep posting. HDX re. those HD from Northwest Bay. Has #H33 sander truck been scrapped?
dmills1419 The WHDX unit # H250 went new to M&B's all new Cameron Division in 1966 She came with a 4 Hayes truck order H247 H248 H249 and H250 When she became surplus she went to Northwest Bay Div as their off highway lowbed. When they were finished with her she went to the Oilfields of Alberta and that is where we lost track of her. She had the big Clark Auto trans and V12 GM when new and they were still in her when she left the coast for alberta Hayesno1 No the sand trucks is still parked at Cameron Yard
BCFP Renfrew Div. #221 HDX logging truck #309 TL6 Washington Trakloader log loader #27-25 Madill grapple yarder
Hayes HDX preloader IPL #H17 dumping her load at Sarita
It may be back in this thread, but I'm wondering what the number codes for Hayes trucks mean. For example an HD 33 60 etc. ??
The Hayes models all carried this designation Take for instance an HD 33-56 = 330 HP and 56 Ton rating This truck would have had 44,000 SSHD rear ends and a V8-71 GM engine A good amount of HDX's were 45-115 = 450 HP GM engine and 91,000lb Clark Rear ends would carry a 115 Ton rating. These ratings were never much monitored The highway Clipper Conventional trucks models were the same It would read C for Clipper then the 33-56 or whatever the engine might have been Say maybe a C-35 56 would mean it was a Conventional Clipper that came with a 350 HP engine with the 44,000lb rears This also applied to the COE
HDX: Thanks for the quick response! I was able to visit Cameron Yard in June (2013) Still was able to see a couple HDXs, and a KW 850. Quite a treat for me. Down here in California we don't get anything bigger than 80,000lb gross truck & load. Went up the mountain with AGG and watch them log with an 046 and load with their 075 with the retractable snorkel. Maybe next year I'll make it out to Sarita. What companies log out there? Also, I've been working on a project photographing loggers. Hoping to make a book one day. If you want to have a look, my site: adamweidenbach.com
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes
BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-222 HDX Hayes
More great pictures guys, thanks! Nice set of how the logs are unloaded. Kind of figured that they pushed them off onto the ramps to roll away from the trailer. Look forward to seeing that next summer in person. Then learning how the stakes are released with all that pressure of the logs pushing on them. Fast way of unloading and getting back up the mountain to reload.
Hayes HDX linehorse
Dave Mills Hayes HDX #9 with a nice load heading for Sarita dump Summer 2012
Timberwest HBO HDX Hayes ex PBC truck owned By Hayes Forest on Hillcrest Main Line
^^^ Nice load of logs, balanced beautifully.
RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 Ex BCFP# 6-244 HDX Hayes hooked to lowbed Ex BCFP #211 with water tank Ex BCFP #225 with Smith sander
RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 HDX Hayes Ex BCFP truck
camptramp More good ones The picture of unit#211 is a good shot This is the truck we have talked about so much that was one of the original Hayes/BCFP order back in the early 50's We talked about her having vent windows in the cab and said that she had to have been re-cabbed at some point in time and then you popped up and said yes she indeed had been So now of the original 12 trucks there is still 5 in running condition that we have been able to find!!! Quite a legacy for Hayes and BCFP Post 1334 is 6-219 She so far is still around and intact pending a future!
Fantastic photos, very thankful for all of the efforts in posting in each of the threads. Now a question or 2 for HDX, on a Hayes built conventional log trailer, for use with a HDX, P-16 and so on, What is the outside diameter of the reach? And the average length of the reach? also, in the design of the Hayes trailer there are 2 tubes that support the trailer bogie & connect with the reach tube and the bunk saddle, so what is the diameter (outside) of these 2 tubes? You can probably guess where i am going with this....... Ap40
A few pics of an Hayes HD logging truck. Hopefully it will be restored. Summer 2012
Retired Hayes HD logging truck now got a second life as a snowplough for Inwood Trucking, Quesnel
ap40rocktruck Average length of the reach overall is 33 feet Reach outside diameter is 12 inch pipe This slides into the barrel of the trailer body. The barrel is 3/4 inch thick (wall) and just big enough for the reach to slide through The barrel is 10 feet long The two air tanks are 11 inches X64 inches long. Tomorrow I will try and get out to my trailer and blast some pics for you of the body arrangement if you need them. The 50 & 60 Ton Hayes trailers used two reach clamps as well as a reach pin to be able to shorten them up. Our trailers had three holes in the reach so you could shorten or lengthen the trailer out . When the trailer is hooked up to the truck with the first hole you were 27 feet between bunks next hole would make it 30 feet between bunks and the last hole was 33 feet between bunks. Today most are pinned at 30 feet between bunks (second hole) For the most part just about all the Hayes trailers are gone now (Scrap) and we use either Pacific or a few PAR-PAC 60 ton trailers.
HDX, Many thanks, as the more information to better. From the Hayes, to Pacific to PAR-PAC trailers, the design seems to be about the same, just differences in the details. In the Hayes 50-60 ton, was the standard wheel the Kay-Brunner double nut 6 spoke types? With the water lines for cooling the brakes, as well as the air lines, how are they run between the truck & trailer bogie? Also, in the 50-60 ton range, was a walking beam the norm, or were springs used as well? Ap40
ap40rocktruck A lot of the 50 tonners were Kay Brunner axles with Budd wheels with single studs and most of the 60 tonners were KB axles with Dayton Wheels and the 12 wheel studs with the wheel wedges ( 6 spoke hubs 2 studs per spoke). There was also an adapter made that would bolt onto your 14:00X25 hub to convert the hub over from Budd wheels to Dayton. I will try and post a pic next week if I get time OK There was not a lot of these around ,However they were used and they did work !!!! There is a 7x14 inch hole cut into the reach near the front where the airlines and water line come out of the front of the trailer and hook up to the rear of the truck. When not in use or the trailer is loaded onto the back of the truck the lines are stuffed (Folded) into that same hole they come out of in the reach.
HDX, nice, No rush or immediate need for photos & information. Working on layout for a upcoming project. One more Q for now, since the air & water lines enter the reach near the pintle hitch, where do they exit the reach & connect to the trailer axles & brakes? Oh, & what is the size of the water lines? both steel & rubber or flex? Ap40
All air lines are rubber as with the water line is 1 inch inside air lines are 3/8s standard BW101 They go down the inside of the reach and exit at the rear of the reach and go back to the trailer body. Air Relay valves (2) and the water manifold (1 for each axle front and rear) Originally the trailers came with double water spouts to each wheel but these were deleted and went to single water lines to each wheel (3/8 pipe for water spouts) When you are looking into the inside of the brake drum the water spout is mounted at about the 10 o clock position on top of the drum so the water will flow longer with the turning of the wheels If the spout is mounted directly on top of the drum the water just hits the top and is thrown off with the speed of the wheels turning.
HDX & ap40rocktruck; I have quite a few close up pics of logging trailers. I will post them later to day. HDX; great information as usual, so max length between bunks are/were 33 feet? Hmm... now I have to remodel a few of my trailers.. LOL...
ap40rocktruck: HDX is sure a wealth of information. I think he has covered most of your question and then some. From the measurements I have the crosstubes on the Hayes trailer are approximately 29 inches in diameter, spacing centerline to centerline is 34 inches, and the vertical spacing of these to the centerline of the walking beam is 23 inches. I believe there are some Hayes trailers kicking around here in Campbell River and I also have some pictures of Hayes trailers as well. Let me know and I'll dig up what I can for you. Thanx.
ap40rocktruck: So this is what happens when I can't read what I have written and then try to be smart. I would have known right away if I was at the drawing board. The corrected figures for the crosstubes are a diameter of 13 inches and vertical distance to the centreline of the walking beam at 31 inches. Sorry for the mixup.
And centreline to centreline of crosstubes is 18 inches.
Thank you & yes that does make far more sense! Ap40
Pics of off highway logging trailer.
More pics
NOW THIS IS AMAZING !!! ….I was looking at the Inwood Truck from Quesnel thinking that I hauled with those guys ….. then I started to think about "Hazel" !!!! …. so I scrolled around and there she is !!! ……. Big 'ol White w/red&blue stripes ….. that was the name we called her when we hauled around this truck ….. her last service with the original owner was hooked up to a Lowbed moving equipment off highway …… that was back thru the '90's …. she got sold to a Neighbour of mine (also a Logging Contractor)…. He wound up selling the property to a good buddy of mine ….. But the Deal had to Include "HAZEL" …. it did … LOL … it still runs but somehow made a move into town I think my Buddy got his arm twisted to sell her …. Has not been restored yet but …. I Smell a restore job still in the wind !!! ……. WOW !!!! ….. Thanx for post these Pics !!!! …..Cheers
Don Yates photo's Archie McKone's 20-19 Hayes
tw BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-244 HDX Hayes loaded off bridge at the bottom of Tr. 11 heading for Honeymoon Bay on Gordon R. M/L
for your information I see on December 18, 2013 RB Auction in Denver, Colorado old Rayner and Bracht WHD Hayes was on auction. This truck was formerly from Port Alberni. I've just joined this forum and it is so interesting to read all the history of trucks.
Sicard Go onto You Tube and type in "1965 Hayes pulling a windmill tower" and it will come up . It was this outfit that sent her to the auction over in Denver after they finished with her When new she went to Franklin River Division as unit # H194 She was part of a 7 truck order from Hayes . When she was surplused by M&B, Jamie Bracht bought her and took her to Russ Jacksons shop on Falls Road and they did a rebuild on her. When politics dictated that it was time to downsize Jamie took all his lowbeds and tractors to the R/B auction in Vancouver. She was sold to an American dealer and sat down in Portland Ore for some years till the windmill outfit bought her
Interesting! thanks for the info and the video is good to watch I saw this truck at 75th hayes show in Alberni. chat soon.
I am new to the Forum, but I enjoy the information and stories from everyone. When I used to live on the island, at Royston, in the late 80's, I remember there being 2-3 Hayes HD's driving in the area. They were red and white logging trucks. No idea as to who owned them, any idea who or where they got to?
camptramp The Crown Z HDX pulling the pup in pic 1354 I think might have been Ian Brown. The chrome "GMC" on the brushguard was kind of his trademark He also had it on his new P16 "Supertruck" that went to Nitnat
I just watched the 1965 HDX pulling the tower video on you tube....The HDX looks beautiful and very impressive........Cory
diamondtguy Yes it is well worth the watch. She is a WHD though not the HDX. She looks like an HDX with the fender configuration that Jamie Bracht put on her when he rebuilt her back in the early 90's "WHD"--Wide Heavy Duty" means she has a 10 3/4 inch frame X 40 inches wide (Flex Frame) rather than the standard 34 in wide frame. HDX Heavy Duty Extra Heavy Frame means Rigid Frame 34 inches wide Then the WHDX People think these are the biggest trucks Hayes built however they are the same size as an HDX. The difference is the frame rails are 40 inches wide. If you parked two Hayes trucks beside each other an HDX and a WHDX you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in them. The 6 BIG -WHDX trucks that were built and were shipped overseas were in fact WHDX's and the reason was they were equipped with the Clark CL 16820 Trans and they needed the width in the frame to install them. Any Hayes with the "W" designation meant it had a 40 inch wide frame
Thanks for the explanation! I remember seeing a oil field truck called an HDX SOW in a Ritchie Bros flyer when I was a kid. I think it had twinsteer in the front and definitely was much longer than normal. Was that a factory build or somebodies custom job?
RCP57 Never heard of an HDX SOW. I'm thinking maybe a custom job. I did however hear of a Pacific PIG. We were over at the factory visiting George Gray one time and he told us about a delegation of Chinese businessmen that were touring the Pacific factory looking at purchasing a few big off highway trucks. It seems they forgot the model they wanted but one of them remembered seeing this little sign on the side of one of these trucks and it said Pacific with the little chrome P16 sign under it-- only they thought it said PIG so they went ahead and ordered 2 Pacific PIG's. The order was given to George to figure out!!! He phoned and got it all straight but he said it was VERY FUNNY!
That's pretty funny...I haven't heard that one before..........George Gray....A name I have not heard for many years but I remember him well.Thanks for the lesson on the Hayes models..I have a lot to learn.I do know that the HDX are rigid frame trucks like the PIG's but don't yet understand the rest of the Hayes model names.....Cory
Camptramp:this is CZ Nanaimo Lakes.It arrived new as 40-53 and had a twin 40-54. Tom Radford got this one and Ray Charles got the "54".Both had 12V71,Allison 59-60 trans and 91000 rear ends.Both had cable style loading.The "53" was in a runaway,rebuilt with a Pacific cab.
surprised the 54 wasn't in a runaway with a driver named ray charles
Ray was fast but always one step ahead in his thought. he moved onto a new Pacific 40-89.Not sure of exact details but he was going from cab to the deck to throw air line over and slipped and broke his neck.Did not drive after that and left us 2-3 yrs ago
I am very fond of Hayes trucks. I would like to restore one at some point. Until then I like to build models, are there any Hayes HD or HDX models available? There's not many trucks like that around here in Logan Lake, BC.
As you can see,I am a new bot on here,but there are some super fellows on who can really help you out.Good luck
Sicard There are some of the best model builders anywhere right here on the forum. dmills1419 and ap40rocktruck are right up there as is RCP57 and Truckmodeler These are the GO-TO guys I would suggest you PM and BS with any or all of them! Good Luck!
Hi Sicard. I'm in Victoria and am a model builder as well. Have a look on Ebay, there 's been a fellow trying sell a HD kit that was availible years ago. He keeps relisting it. Send me a PM and I'll send you a link. Thanks Doug.
http://donmillsmodels.com/product/hayes-hdx-1000-off-road-logger-trailer/
I saw hayes and pacific's on the alaskan forum, neat to see photos of more trucks. I saw some kenworth's with front axles set really far back. What model are they?
front view of an hdx coming down mtn applying water to brakes. dy14
Back view of an HDX applying water
i believe the photos of kenworth with set back forward axle are the c500 model
There was a mention of the old 1965 WHD Hayes pulling windmill parts up to a windmill farm in California.(Post 1365) This was ex M&B unit H194 from Franklin River originally then sold to Rayner and Bracht and converted to a lowbed tractor. After many years in their service she was sent to Ritchie Bros in Vancouver and sold to an American Equipment Dealer Then she was sold to the outfit that used her to haul the windmill parts. However after the job ended she once again went to Ritchie Bros only this time it was in Denver Colorado. She was becoming somewhat of an orphan. The good news is that one of our club guys up in the interior bought her!!!! She is back in Canada and has a VERY good home to last out her days. Another happy ending!!!!
Good to hear that the truck was saved, and has a very good home. Would be awful to find out it had been scrapped.
Time to repaint M&B colors as well?
She came new with her all "Apache Yellow" paint scheme with black shutters and Forest Green top of the hood. Then in the late 70's she along with some of her sister units were painted M&B Red and White with top of hood Forest green. I will dig up a couple pics of her in the different color schemes. When they were new these trucks came with the "Stub Bumper" and then after a period of time they had the Push style bumper installed on them. They were not the most friendly truck to push the lowbed with!!!!
Great that she is back in BC and hopefully someone restores her. Also, great that a Canadian made truck is back in her home province.
The guys down south of the border had a number of Hayes's and they really spoke highly of them !!! There are still some survivors down there -some still working and some just resting. I have a picture of one of the first series HD (1952) that ended up in Idaho. She is painted all white.
Hayes friends pics,taken early 70's at Revelstoke,B.C.
That's some serious chaining up for the ride down, I sure hope he didn't have to remove them all and put back on again
Really nice pictures. She has a self loading trailer. The winch is tucked in right behind the water tank with the block mounted up at the top rear of the tank. Nice very Nice
HDX,winch line seems like it is out of the block did driver have to thread it thru every trip?
BLK PRINCE You know im not sure. Maybe it was a different version and it somehow went over the bunk and under the trailer gooseneck to flip the reach up so it would knuckle it up. I remember seeing this style on a couple of the old "Chunk Trucks" Im thinking you are right though and it was just out of the block.
The trucks system of self loading its own trailer is very similar to the BCFP system for self loading there off highway trailers . I was working for a Gypo on their booming grounds summer of 1965 , they had an late 1950's or early 1960's Intrenational highway truck rigged up as a logging truck that loaded it trailer in a similar manner. We use to just slack the line down to the deck of the truck when loaded , but can't see the line in those pictures ,so I guess they unhooked it every load .
At Nitinat we had one HDX with a winch load and two P-16s same way.We did not have a knuckle in the reach.We had a ramp that kicked up and sat on the 5th wheel,then dragged hook and line onto front bunk and hooked it to a line with two eyes that ran down and around front axle.If winch failed we could also load trailer on top of water tank as there was a saddle and two support arms to rest front bunk on.check post 1354 and you can see saddle and supports.
Well here are some pics of Hayes WHD from 1965. I'm glad to hear it has gone home to Canada and is saved. Pics are RB pics when truck was autioned a decade ago.
Not a Hayes logging truck but interesting Hayes truck Here is a Picture of a Hayes truck with 3 huge dump trailers. Well HDX can you add some information. I think she went to US but I'am not sure at all...
HDX, Camptramp, anyone that can get HEF to accept a decent size post without it going into the HEF black hole. This forum is the first thing I check on the internet almost every day. I'm frustrated by the PM and posting business. I'm tired of writing out a longer post and then have it get shredded by the HEF monster. I'm relatively illiterate when it comes to computers and am very frustrated. Do you guys cut and paste or just play the lottery? If its the lottery I just can't win. Pretty soon I am going to find a 2 year to teach me the kids text shorthand so I won't lose such a big investment in time with no benefit in it for everyone that reads this forum or myself. Thanx in advance to anyone that plays the HEF lottery and has the secret to improving my odds. Maybe I'll be able to get to senior member status one day. (For the sake of curiosity does anyone know how many posts it takes to hit that milestone?). Thank you, DBDLS
Pretty sure it's 100. Hang in there you're getting close. d.d.
Regarding that HDX above pulling the train of belly dumps, I would imagine they had to break them loose before they dumped, unless they straddled a hopper or conveyor of some sort. I doubt seriously that they could dump all three trailers on the ground under the truck's power/traction.
Vigilant Those are WHD Hayes's built for DRAVO CORP in the Spokane Wash area. Im not sure where they were being used but they were for sure built for them I can dig up some spec's on the trucks if you want. Its the front fenders that give them away as WHD's.
I believe the truck with the 3 bottom dumps were used in the Phosphate mines around Soda Springs, Id. They hauled the ore from the mine site to the processing plant, and there dumped into drive over hoppers. Could be confusing this with a Pacific tractor, I'm not sure.
I see it now that you mentioned it. Thanks. It would be interesting to know the specs and what they were hauling. I'm mostly curious to know if they kept the train together to dump, or broke it apart. If they were unloading on the ground and not straddling a hopper or conveyer of some sort, it is conceivable that they could open all the doors at once and dump, provided they had the traction. It's definitely an interesting photo.
Vigilant Here you are!!!! Hayes built 4 trucks for the Dravo Corp Soda Springs Idaho. The 4 trucks were delivered April 30/1970 Engine was Caterpillar 1693TA CLBT 59-60 6 speed Allison auto Trans. Shuler front steering axle. 14:00X25 Tires. Clark BD 90.000 lb rear ends 11:275 ratio with top speed of 43 MPH. 200 Gal Clough fuel tank behind the cab Trucks were painted Caterpillar Yellow 2331-8304 with the top of the hood painted Black Wheels were painted Silver and the beacon light was a Deitz Amber Rotating Model 211 Somewhere I have a couple pictures of them. Wonder if they still even exist??? Got to find one of our members to scope it out! stepp3360 Good work on that Thanks for the heads up
There was no mention of the 5th wheel assy so I wonder if they didn't use the same big 5th wheel that the Military used with the big 3 1/2 jaws. This was the oscillating one and would use the big king pin.
the above wouldn't post until I wrote something under the thank you as I couldn't see it when I started LOL
Stepp3360...you could be right on both trucks..I am positive there are some Pacifics in Soda Springs.......Cory
I Goggled Pacfic Trucks Soda Springs, Got a Short Video on youtube, Ken
HDX; thanx for information re. 4 Hayes WHD trucks and at the same time for posting flagpole pics and story. Super!!
Hayes Clipper 200 Hayes Clipper 200 logging truck with self loader. I think unit has been retired now.
From what little info I found, if those trucks went to Soda Springs, Idaho, they were very likely used for mining. That would make perfect sense for this configuration. I suspect the driver unhooked from the whole train and grabbed an empty train to deadhead back for reload. That would allow a yard jockey to break the train down, and pull one trailer at a time over a conveyer to offload. Just a guess though.
Vigilant, If you watch the video, there were two silo that loaded the three trailers. The first two were loaded at the same time, and I will assume the third trailer was loaded after the train was pulled forward. At the dump site, the train was most likely driven over a hopper, and then each trailer dumped. This makes for fast cycle times. You wouldn't want to slow the process by unhooking the trailers.
RCP57; I Think there is one for sale at present time. I'll check the internet. I got pics of 2 different HDX if you are interested.
It would be neat to see a picture of one again. I wasn't very old at the time so I'm not sure how accurately I remember the truck in the brochure.
Try www.mascus . But I Can see truck has been sold. http://www.mascus.com/transportation/used-winch-trucks/hayes-hdx-t-a-t-a-bed-truck/3uap8pbg.html . I got pics on my laptop somewhere, not on my iPad, but I'll find pictures.
That makes sense.
Hayesno1 --Wrong serial number 6783 Was a conventional highway clipper but was cancelled so never built. The HDX mentioned if it was/is a 1974 would be somewhere around that serial number though.
Here is a link to a photo on the Hanks Trucks web site. The truck they show pulling a three trailer train at this phosphate mine in Idaho is a Pacific? http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/bob_dingsdale/2005/apr24/file0009.jpg
This one is a different truck from the one previously posted. Looking at the headlights, it does look like a Pacific. Hopefully someone who knows can clarify.
Hey, guys, I sent First Gear a couple of pictures and some info on the Hayes HDX, they are going to look into the feasibility of an HDX die cast replica. Feel free to email them with more requests, I think it is time we had a decent diecast HDX. Seriously, you can get sewer suckers, trash trucks, etc, but no decent log haulers!
I'm in ,let me know how to order , looks like I'll have to fill in for Stanley at lest one more day BLK PRINCE lol
That's the last pacific built I Think, P12w with 3412 cat .
There were three of those trucks built.Two when the plant was running and the last one was built a few years later in the parts warehouse.Other than the Cat power there are some other differences as well...Not sure which one is in the pic.. Count me in for a few die cast HDX's....I agree the selection of die cast logging trucks realy sucks.. Cory
Good on you,be sure to pick day and trips with no snow!
First Gear Contact Info Everyone send emails to First Gear, tell them about how the Hayes HDX revolutionized the industry, how there are no die cast models of them, etc. We can make this happen, they build models of stuff a LOT more obscure than Hayes trucks. I would like to see both a conventional and a pre-load, maybe a yellow one, and an M&B one, and a BCFP pre-load would be AWESOME! Of course, then we will need a TL-6 to load them..... Here is their contact email, send them your thoughts and ideas on the subject, maybe some pictures would help, too. [email protected]
In the photo I linked to, you can clearly see the "Pacific" name down near the bumper. Unfortunately there is another truck behind that one with a different grill and headlight arrangement. I can't tell what it is but maybe some of the experts can.
2412 Cat. If I was female, I'd be wet right now... Come to think of it, I think I'd better go take a cold shower.......
Vigilant CONTROL YOURSELF!!! GET A GRIP!!! That is a Pacific and on the HAYES thread to boot When I get a chance I will post a couple pictures of one of the WHD Hayes being test driven in downtown Vancouver prior to being shipped to SuperPesa in South America. I think that should get you back from the edge. This one is very close to the Dravo WHD's Very similar layout.
Some Pacifics have been know to make a man crazy. Lol
To RCP57, find attached, if I've done this right, RB auction notice pictures of SOW TRUCKS. Sorry to all those devote Hayes fans for the Kenworth on the Hayes Thread. The Kenworth is from an AllQuipp sale flyer from Alberta. Enjoy![/ATTACH] View attachment 114358 Lots to look at from the old days.
To RCP57, OOOPS! I missed getting this other RB auction notice photo to join the other two. ARG! Computers! Try again, Enjoy!
Hey Sicard, Thanks for posting that! That's probably the one I was thinking of. The date would be about right. Kinda looks like it has a KW rad, custom hood/fender combo, and a Hayes cab. I wonder who made it/them?
In the attachments, between my two posts, are 2 Hayes and 1 Kenworth. I don't think either Hayes have been modified other than the extra front axle and oil field bumpers. Glad you like seeing the pictures.
In the attachments, between my two posts, are 2 Hayes and 1 Kenworth. I don't think either Hayes have been modified other than the extra front axle and oil field bumpers. Glad you like seeing the pictures. Not sure why the photos in the 1st post will not show up, will try to post later this evening. AARG! computers!
MUST.... HAVE.... 3412! MUST... HAVE....... :crying:
Beauties! AS I STATED BEFORE . .. . . . . . . might work this time. In the attachments, between my two posts, are 2 Hayes and 1 Kenworth. I don't think either Hayes have been modified other than the extra front axle and oil field bumpers. Glad you like seeing the pictures.
Sicard Post 1432 of the HDX She has wrong serial number s/n 6124 is a WHD Hayes that was built for Indonesia and was shipped there through AirMac International and CanTrans Services Ltd S/n 4978 is a WHD standard production run truck, Cab and chassis only with V12 GM Allison 59-60 trans 70,000lbr Clark rears and 12:00X24 tires Single front Steering axle painted red and white. Whoever converted her sure did a nice job Very clean and looks proper
These are the pictures I told you about with the 4 WHD's that were shipped to South America for SuperPesa in late 1974.
These are the four trucks together waiting to get loaded onto the freighter. Note all four have been sealed for the trip (air cleaner tops removed and stowed as well as other components). Also shows trucks being loaded.
This shows the Dravo Hayes WHD when delivered to Soda Springs.
Post 1439 I tried to get a close-up of the cab roof. The head of the cab section (department at Hayes) was John Rotar!! He and his crew came up with a new idea for the severe service cabs and it was made of checker plate steel So the roof section on these trucks was made with the checker plate material rather than standard tin. Most HDX's had deckboards above the cab for protection but these trucks were not so the heavier roof made complete sense!!! If you want I can come up with other WHD pictures showing them in action mostly in the logging business. These were probably the most beautiful and very popular trucks at the time!
This is the only picture I have of John Rotar and the cab crew in the Hayes factory. Wish I could ID the other guys.
HDX,does H17 have any sisters?
Yes Her sister went to Juskatala three weeks ahead of her coming to Franklin. H17 was still in pieces on the floor when I went over and saw her. The sister was H34 and a conventional. She ended up being sold to a couple different outfits after M&B went sideways. I was in Campbell River one day lookin around and went by Tom Turners place (CR Alltrucks) and out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of an HDX Spun around and went back. As soon as I saw the cab I know it was H34 then started looking under the yellow paint and sure enough there was the red and white. The reason I knew it was H34 is because H17 and her had a different style cab on them. Hayes was starting to gear up to try these new cabs that had been built up country (AGM) instead of the tried and tested cabs Hayes built themselves. I asked Tom about it and he and another guy had bought her but were going to resell her. I came back and told Dave Mills (log hauling contractor) about her and he went up and bought her. She is hauling down there in Sarita now . I will take a picture of the two of them together one day and post it. These were the last trucks built in the Hayes factory. There is a story making the rounds that there was a brand new LAST HDX being built up at Juskatla after these but it was an old 1966 HDX that they rebuilt with a new cab and fenders and hood Where we come from that was called a rebuild. Mike Murphy did this for many years so if you are gonna go down that road well then I would say Mike built the LAST HAYES several times over and ALL his rebuilds are still running around. That other one was burned to a crisp in a forest fire Money Talks BS walks and small change rides the bus Show me a serial number LOL
You people need to get together and write a book about these trucks. You have so much history of the Hayes trucks, alone to have quite a book. It would be a shame to not save the knowledge for others to read. There could be a whole library of books about all these machines that it take to harvest timber.
|? keep on trucking.! | |""""\___ |_...__..._____===.|=|__|..... ,] "(@)'(@)""""""*|(@)(@)""""'(@)
That's cool! How long did it take you to make that?lol
Some pics of Hayes WHD - same truck as posted in #1437. I am still looking for pictures of the HDX posted in #1432. I've seen one painted yellow and one painted purple. Both got same front fender style like post #1432.
HDX; Great Pictures and don't say that twice. Please post them! You know that is my favorite Hayes model!!!
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO...PLEASE Ap40
Interesting to see the Superpesa WHD's in the factory fresh look. Flex frame for heavy haul. So did these have Clark trans or Allison? 12v71 power? Ap40
To HDX, regarding post 1439. Those are beautiful trucks, thanks so much for sharing the photos with all of us. If only we could go back in time. I have a question if someone could answer it, that would be great. On T. Brad Dunkin's site I see a what looks like a Hayes HDX with a Scot cab. What's the story on this one?
I'm amazed that someone in BC even knows what a Scot is! They just tore the plant down about 5 years ago, still had 2 fulley dressed cabs inside and a bunch of new bare cabs and hood outside.
Ben46a, Yes, I have heard of a Scot. The Canadian Army had one on Vancouver Island when I lived there. Have you seen the truck I mentioned on that post 1453 it looks to me like the best from both coasts of our fine country, Hayes and Scot. I was wondering if there was a connection, between Atlantic truck and trailer (JD irving Scot ) and Hayes.
Sicard , Scot bought the manufacturing rights to Hayes after Paccar shut down Hayes in Nov/75. They had the idea that they would custom build a few of these trucks but alas it was not to be Too expensive and just too labour intensive to build I know that they used the Rad / Bumper/ and fenders and a few other components that were used on the Hayes HDX and adapted the Scot Cab etc . I never did see the frame layout or what frame was used under these. A lot of the Hayes components were out sourced by this time, and with Hayes in downtown Vancouver (225 W 2nd Ave) now gone a lot of these companies just ceased making parts. Scot seemed to just fade away in the late 90's and never heard much about them after that. Yes they did have Military contracts to supply trucks for Fueling at Air Bases as well as heavy haul lowbed tractor's and standard type 6x4 service tractors. Cant add much more than that Sorry
http://hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t...2005/jan27/scot-dump-truck-body-installed.jpg This is the one your refering too? It. Sure does look like a hayes of some sort.
1960 Port Renfrew area BCFP's Truck #203 with a few big logs on top
Great pictures Born2clearcut, we are so lucky your grandfather was such a great photographer and your sharing them with us . An old friend rwt got hold of me yesterday , his dad Loyd Thompson drove the #223 and #6-237 HDX Hayes preload logging trucks new at BCFP Renfrew Div. ,and has some pictures he'd like to share with us . He also worked for Taylor Way around its final day's. Welcome to the site rwt . HDX rwt tells me he seen the #6-237 at Narrows Inlet ,so thats where it went when it left Renfrew in 1986.
OK That helps a great deal Thank You Good posting Born2clearcut
Hayes Trucks My Dad Lloyd Thompson, also drove the #200 and #203.Moved to Renfrew in 1954.RWT.
The pictures of the #203 at Harris Cr. camp must be early, check the height of the new growth in the back grown . Also must have had good loaders there are no cinches and wrappers holding the logs together, on load.
couple more of truck #203 setup with as a preload truck 1961
Dear Ben46a, Thanks for the picture of the Scot / Hayes truck. The one I mentioned in post 1453 had no dump box, but I'm sure it was the same truck. Thanks for sharing this photo. Also, Dear HDX, Thanks for clarifying that history between Scot and Hayes. This helps make the history make sense now.
RL-- King Hayes Logging Huston R. Div. Ray Livingston loan me this picture of a load he loaded on Hayes's HDX Hayes
Hayes HD dump truck...well almost, kinda, eventually... This is just based off of a standard Tamiya King Hauler 1/14 scale semi chassis and I am scratch building everything else. It's not super accurate but I think it is recognisable as a Hayes HD so far. Thanks for looking, Reg
WOW, that looks good
Awesome work RCP57.
Truck looks great so far! A bit off withe the alcoa wheels though hehe
Thanks guys. Yeah, I hope to do something about the wheels and tires before I'm finished! There's something that seems wrong about an off-highway truck having chrome wheels and street tread.lol
Top Notch work as always RCP57 |? ///// HDX \\\\ . ! | |""""\___ |_...__..._____===.|=|__|.....] "(@)'(@)""""""*|(@)(@)""""'(@)
Post 1225 Sir,I can tell you about one of the units. The tan coloured one is owned and built by Richard Neva of Lake Cowichan. He has worked on it for quite some time. I am sure HDX will fill in the blanks. Richard took it to the Hayes anniversary in Port Alberni for its first journey on the road. Not a lot of information but a start. Dear Black Prince, Just copied your comment to me, thanks for the information. I hope to make it over to the island this year for the Duncan Truck Show. I believe they hold it every year, I went to it a few years ago, very enjoyable. I have been to the Truck Show in Cache Creek, since it is close to home. Has anyone else been to either of these truck shows?
Dear RCP57, Good job on the Hayes HD, it looks excellent! Do your models every get seen by the public at any events? Look like they might be fun to look at. Keep up the good work with creating models.
Thanks very much. There are a few of us on the island and we try to get together 2-3 times a year. We attended the model train show at the Campbell River museum back in January and our next display will be at the ATHS show at the Duncan Forest Discovery Center July 12-13. Hopefully they will provide us with a nice pile of dirt to play in again this year. A couple of us were at the Cowichan fall fair last September and that was a great time too. We had a full truck load of dirt at that show so we were able to build some roads and haul material all day! Hopefully some of you guys can come out and join us. I have met a few of you already and it's always a pleasure! Reg
I have noticed a few differences in the HD trucks while staring at pictures and would like for someone to explain why.... Some of the trucks have square(ish) side windows without no drafts. I am guessing that this is an older cab? If so what years? Also it seems that most of the HD's have the radius arms(not sure of the correct name) that connect the front axle to the frame below the springs. Is this also an improvement that was made throughout the years or was this an optional heavy suspension? Thanks, Reg
RCP57 The cab door with the square windows was used from 1948-1961 when Hayes changed over to the door with the vent window. These vent windows are a real problem today because the rubber around them is getting cracked and falling apart. A couple of us are working with a Vancouver company to make new ones left and right sides. It is just a matter of making the molds and getting a set made. Making the molds alone is big bucks! We are going to use the softest neoprene they have in these because to make real rubber ones --well you could not afford them!!! As it is the new ones will be around 250 to 300 a set. So they are not cheap!!! When they make the first set I will install one in a door and see what it works like. As I have said before on here Pacific Trucks used the same vent window and rubber as Hayes. The earlier Pacifics with the small windshield's and steel doors used virtually all the same door rigging as Hayes. A.H. Hanson door regulators (65L 65R) and the same chain regulator to raise and lower the window.
Thanks for the explanation HDX. I guess at least someone is willing to try and make the window seals for you. I had no idea that the window regulators were made from chain until I photographed the truck in Dawson City. Very good idea to use that and not have a bunch of linkage the freezes up with rust over the years. Any info on my front suspension question? Reg
I started to build some more realistic looking wheels yesterday. They are aluminum and made out of two pieces which are pressed and glued together, then bead blasted to remove any burrs left from machining.
RCP57; wow great model. Those rims look nice. Keep up your great work. Hopefully it will be finished to The Duncan Truck show this year. I am palning to show up this summer.
Thanks Kim. I was thinking of hitting you up for some pictures but I think I have found enough on the net for this build. Having said that though, the more I get into it the more I want to add little details. Sometimes the net pictures aren't good enough to zoom in on so I may have to send you an email!lol I hope to have it finished long before the Duncan show. I am excited to meet you and show you the models. Maybe HDX will show up this year too???? Hint hint.... I think there will be about 6 of us RC-modellers at the ATHS show this year and if all goes well we will be there Saturday and Sunday. Reg
When you set up at the Duncan Forest Discovery Center where on the site do you set up. No promises but I'll try to get a cheap load of material dumped there , would fill sand do .
Thanks very much for the offer! I'm not to sure where they will set us up there yet. If we were allowed to be picky, I think low grade topsoil is best as it stays easy to dig but will pack a little when building roads and so on. Having said that though, I think all of us would agree that a truck load of sand type stuff would be more fun than a yard of topsoil... Especially if there is a good turnout of guys and model equipment. One of the guys from Courtaney stays in touch with Cam and his wife so I will pass this along and see what they all think. Last years display at the other venue would have been really poor for us if it wasn't for Cam and Lori(?) bringing in a pickup truck load of topsoil and a tarp to put it on. I guess some of the other guys were afraid that we would spread the topsoil all over the sand in the riding ring and get the club in trouble... At the fall fair we were setup on the grass down below the ring area with several yards of dirt. That was a blast having a big pile of dirt to play with! I'll see what I can find out and let you know! Thanks, Reg
I made up some more scale looking rear hubs and rims over the last few days(many hours of machining). I have ordered some 2-56x1/8 nuts from the US for the studs. I also ordered a new set of tires that are a little larger and have a more off-road tread pattern. I hope to get started on the dump box tomorrow.
So much detail is just excellent I admire your patience. Well done!
Beautiful.
Wow, just F------ amazing. Doug.
Well done......
Thanks a lot for all the compliments guys. I got started building the dump box yesterday and hope to finish it up over the next few. Once that is done I will go back to adding the tanks, exhaust, air cleaner and so on. I think the little truck looks pretty tough now! Does anyone have any pictures or info on how the spare was mounted on the cab guard?
seymour inlet
HDX,what I would like to know is,as some Hayes units had IH cabs put on them,did the mount for the steering column get changed or moved? I still feel the pain of my knee making contact with the famous clamp. Aaaaagh!
Blk prince There was a good number of HDX's that had a cab change. Due to long periods of neglect and hard lives the faithful old Hayes cabs suffered the same fate as the old Macks from long ago. Hayes cabs would crack up in the corners and around the top of the doors because the cab mounts should have been changed etc. There was one crew that really took that changeover to a new level. I saw some of the HDXs that Mike Murphy and his crews did up at Pt McNeill in their shop. Top Drawer-- Lots of other guys did this conversion also. The Pacific P16 cab worked VERY well and they had the IH doors on them Are these the ones you mean? Menzies Bay Division converted a number of their CL350 Macks over to Pacific cabs and some of them got Challanger Cabs. I don't know how many of these Macks survived after being sold off in the big Weyco garage sale of the late 90's. And yes the cabs came with tilt steering. I kind of got use to the dreaded bracket to which you speak so highly of! I have my blow-down hose wrapped around that very item Hayes actually made a leather pad for that with a caulk boot lace to tie it up there. And no I don't have one. Have the blueprint somewhere but never got around to making one. Remember the leather boots that were on the trans sticks where they came through the floor Had a brass zipper on them with the caulk boot lace
Yes,those cabs are the ones I have on my mind. I am sure after a span of 40 years of in and out,you have no problem with the dreaded clamp LOL.
You guys are probably sick of this by now(let me know if you are and I'll stop posting them) but here's a few more pictures and a short video of my progress on the little HD. I was wondering if anyone had a good picture of a Hayes mud flap? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpjba5Bt1OE&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A Reg
Reg If the truck is pre 1971 NO BEARS on the mudflap just HAYES and underneath it says CAUTION or 71 and after the ones with the Bears Let me know and I will take pictures of both if that helps
Ah, more great information! I had no idea about the year effecting the mudflap appearance. I like the ones with the bears on them... Thanks, Reg
"You guys are probably sick of this by now(let me know if you are and I'll stop posting them)" Reg, we'd have you working the nightshift on this, but i think you are already burning the midnight oil. Great job.
Keep the posts coming. Did I miss these kind of pictures for the KW850? Yes, I'm all for the Hayes bear mudflaps myself. Hopefully you can find a little bit of MB red and white to connect with the truck. 'You have it in any colour as long as it is red and white' is what Henry Ford said. Thanx.
RCP57; your model looks great and I am amazed of your Progress. Here are a few close up pics of H17 hood.
Well, I guess I will keep the posts coming! The RC business has been slower the last few weeks so I have finally had some time to work on something for myself. I have been working on this like a fulltime job almost everyday for the last week or more so that's why it's coming along. This weekend has to be dedicated to customer projects for the most part but I would like to see this drive by the end of it if possible. Thanks for the pictures Kim. I have pieces of wire glued to the hood to simulate hinges and they are too close together(3/4" apart but should be 1"). I will have to break them off and re-glue them in the right position. I didn't post very many pictures of the KW build over here. I wasn't really sure if you guys would want to have a bunch of model build pictures stuck in with the real trucks. If you ever want to be bored in front of your computer though, you can check out the whole build here.... http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5939 33 pages of step by step pictures and useless drivel...lol The KW was a much bigger project as the Hayes is running on Tamiya semi truck axles and suspension that can be purchased verses all of that being scratch built for the 850. There is also a huge difference in size between the two. The KW is 1/10 scale and the Hayes is the more popular 1/14. I would like to scratch build an HDX and P16 in the future. If I do they will be in the same scale as the KW850 and require me to make all of the parts.
Back on topic.
SPMiller Love the shot through the drivers windshield Sum's it up pretty good. Enjoy that view every day!!! I can see by the dent in the top of the brushguard that more than one log has come over the top deckboards LOL
First picture: Hayes mud flap of the'50s. Has been shortened but this is what they looked like only 24 x 30. Second picture: New style Hayes mud flap made by Firestone. Last two pictures: Pick up and under front bumper mud flap and full length 24 x 30 standard Hayes mud flap from '70s with the bear.
Reg The mudflap with" HAYES Caution " on it was the standard mudflap on all Hayes truck from the very early 60's to 1971 then replaced by the "Bear flaps" If you ever get the chance look on the bottom of the BEAR FLAP and you will find a casting date just below the bears front foot It will be either first run (1972) or second run (1973) There was a flap made by Firestone that was the first flap with the bear on it and they were very heavy but just too expensive so Hayes changed manufactures in 1972 and went to the much lighter ones. I have a set but they are squirrel away and I put them in a safe place --So safe I cant find them, but I will find and post for the sake of historical accuracy
Nice shots of Kip Brown's/Malaspina trucks when they were working, none of them look that good a week ago. heard that they might be up for sale soon as they are in hard times right now, too bad as there was 5 or 6 HDX's in pieces around the yard.
Maybe we get 69Hayes to scope them out What about old 6-238 under the lowbed We don't want the lowbed just the truck LOL
If it literally wasn't 5000 miles away I'd ask about the lowbed! There's nothin like that east of ontario tho!
Another HDX under a lowbed, looks like that is the only thing it will pull seeing the back end cut off, old Page and Page lowbed looked pretty worn out, all the suspension bushing rubbers were falling out (sorry no pics) HDX 45-115 s/n 5340 believe it's Olympics unit.
Bob J. Bob James has loaned us his photo's to share the first picture is of his HDX Hayes that he drove when he contract log haul at T.W. MacKenie at Mesachie Lake . This morning at coffee Bob was telling me how in 1965 he was working at Copper Canyon the crew bus left camp at 5:00 oclock but the shops quiting time was 4:00 oclock . The company log truck weren't allowed to take riders . Reg Smyth had contract log trucks in the Divison . Bob use to jump in with Regs drivers to get to Chemainus. One day he got a ride in a brand new HDX Hayes ( he still had a sparkle in his eye as he told us about it ) in 1975 he bought that same HDX Hayes which is in the picture with Bob on the pigeon roof .
Camptramp,when you see Bobby James again,ask him if he remembers "Dark Brown"(don't ask) as that would be me. You have to know Jim Jordan to know about all the names LOL
Bob J. Copper Canyon 1958 a better look at #H-85 HD Hayes
I think I have a picture of this truck on here somewhere, it sat in Dinan Bay for a coon's age, with that same drill on the back. I heard they barged it south recently.
Was Stevens HDX went new to him Oct/72 camptramp Could you ask Bob if he has any pictures of the side-cab HD's at the Canyon??? There is not a lot of pictures of them around Thanks
Oh Ya forgot to mention that H85 has/had a 6 cyl Rolls Royce engine in her instead of the 300HP Cummins that all the off-set cab first series HD's came with.
All the pictures Bob has of Copper Canyon Hayes's are already posted.
HDX,do you know the history of the trailer on the back of the H-17? I ask because so much equipment has been shuffled around that I wonder if you have a CZ trailer.our trailers had a number such as 42-143 or 42-144 on them.I cannot remember where but I think it was on or near rear bunk.
No Not Crown "Z" Was a 60 ton Pacific trailer to start with then the driver that was using it really screwed it up!!! He is no longer driving now Believe it or not it is part Pacific and part Di Ico remember him from Nanaimo. Your Crown Z trailers would not fit my truck because of kingpin size IPL is standardizing all the trailers to the big pin now All the BCFP folding reach trailers as well and they are changing the jaws in the 5th wheel at the same time Long slow process. The worst trucks we ever had were the three big P16's with the V12 cats A lot of drivers not familiar with them would use the wrong lever to try and load the trailer up onto the back of the truck and rip the kingpin out of the trailer Remember TWO levers one for the rear deck assy and the other one for the 5th wheel Lots of wrong lever ###K Ups
I do remember the levers. I had 3 in the 87. The third lever raised and lowered the ramps on the lowbed as I was hooked to it so often. Have you noticed if there are any CZ trailers in your lineup?
Yes we have a few I will get their numbers for you on Monday OK
The photo with the road & rock cliff, gives the old saying of "Rock & a Hard Place a new meaning.
HDX how did the recovery mission go,much damage,was it a Hayes or Pacific?
Not bad Glen Baird with the long pole lifted her out was P16 6-139.
A couple of guys have emailed me about Hayes dashes. This is a dash that I made for one of my future projects. What I've done is made it in two different configurations. One with the Allison automatic transmission and one with two sticks. This dash is the same in the HD model, WHD model and HDX as well as WHDX.
More dash pictures.
Those look awesome!!!
Wow some very great looking dashes you have made up!
Great looking dashes HDX. I almost have the little HD ready for paint. I will add a few more things as it comes apart to be painted but all the major work is done now.
Those dash's look great!
RCP57 very nice work,well done
Blk prince I scoped out the trailers for ya We have 5 ex Crown Z preload trailers Two are in pieces (42-168 42-181) one is just needing tires and air lines (42-174) and two are still in use (42-176 42-177) Both these trailers will fit on H17 now because they have the big pin but with the narrow track trailer axles they don't sit on there very well. You guys didn't have the trailer guides on the rear ramps on your Pacifics as was on the Hayes's The trailer numbers are cut out of a plate mounted on the R/R side of the trailer body behind the trailer bunk Is it all coming back now??? LOL
HDX those numbers are newer than any I pulled. Ido remember a difference in the ramps. With the cable loading,the trailer could wander off a little. Not a problem with hydraulic lift. Are the ones in use on ex CZ or BCFP trucks?
Both Crown trucks Will post pics of them for you ASAP
Dear RCP57, Excellent job on the HD! Could you build a full size one? LOL! Then I could have a Hayes in my front yard! I'd like to come over to the island for the Truck Show in July, any one know the dates? It will on depend on life around here. Who organizes the truck show? Does anyone know? Maybe I could contact them to find out the dates.
Thanks very much. I wouldn't mind having a real one in my own yard!lol The show is on the 12-13 of July at the Duncan Forest Discovery Center. I hope to see a bunch of you guys there! http://www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com/ Reg
HDX: Are these the preload trailers with folding reaches? Sounds interesting. I'd like to take a look at them if you could point me in the right direction.
DBDLS No These are the same kind of trailers I have on H17 with the reach sticking out the back !! These trailers are sometimes a pain in the ##s. When you are turning around in the bush --specially when we are loading right of way wood you have to try and turn around with that pipe sticking in between the standing trees. It is common to kind of bump a tree or siwash your reach around a stump Kind of hard on the air and water lines exposed back there. The BCFP ones were WAY better because there is no pipe sticking out the back-- It all folds up nice and neat out of the way. What I will do is take some pictures for you and post them of shortning up and how they fold up and then winch up onto the back of the truck if you want. Then we can do the same with the Crown Z / M&B trailer. At least then you can see the difference Let me know Ok
HDX: I am always up for pictures of logging equipment. Do you or does anyone know if there are any of the BCFP folding reach trailers to be found anywhere? Or have the steel scrappers turned them into washing machines? There are a couple of HDX's here that look to have the preload ramps, the folding reach and a winch to pull the trailer up. The front bunk seems to be a conventional bunk though so I am not sure about how this setup is similar to the BCFP preload trailers. From what I can see of the HDX's here it looks pretty neat. Thanx.
Check out BCFP thread page #46 posting #677 I posted an HDX loading its trailer.
DBDLS No Those two trucks you are talking about were Warren Truesdale's They are not PreLoads They look like it but no They have been reworked with a winch to load the trailer and Im thinking it was for camp jobs where there was no way to load the trailer after being dumped so this form of self loading trailer would work very well. One of those trucks has been upgraded with a lot on newer parts The bumper for sure did not come on that truck when new It has been changed. Didn't have a lot of time to and do an autopsy on her She is vintage about mid 60's. Very handy trucks for the right job Trouble is the right job isn't here right now!!! Good eye on your part though Good to see somebody is keeping an eye on stuff up there. I was going to take your pictures today but it was pi##ing down so hard Will get them in detail for you on Tuesday. I will get the guys to paint the pin that you pull out that allows you to double the reach over so you can see the workings of it The earlier BCFP PreLoad trucks had the winch mounted down in the frame at the base of the rear of the water tank and a block welded at the top of the tank(pulley) and the later ones the winch's were mounted up on top of the water tank right below where the trailer saddle would have been if they were the conventional model This is what gave them the lift they needed to winch the trailer up onto the truck I think Warren got his idea from the earlier ones And yes we have a few of them (folding reach trailers) in Sarita 4 in use and two for spares
Thanx HDX. Up in Port McNeill this weekend to visit with 075 and check out his super snorkel. Have to get a North Island logging fix every once in a while.
Hd 33 48 This old HD looks like it could be an ex-bcfp unit from the orange paint underneath. maybe HDX can fill in the gaps, it sits in PR now. s/n 9073357
OOPS, wrong s/n, looks like its, 9073367. need better eyes I think.
Greatwestcam She was bought new by Crown Z---Unit # L67 Delivered to Bella Coola May 12/69 NTC-335 SQDD rears 5&4 trans 10:00X20 tires, was painted Apache Yellow at factory Good find Cam
HDX thanks again on the info, I don't think you have missed one yet! here is another winch type unit I thought to add, don't know if it came this way. will see if I can find s/n
HDX, back camping this weekend.Going to Coombs we saw three units headed south ,HD gravel truck no memory of second unit then a Pacific of vintage age. Was there a show somewhere?
They were going to Nanaimo for Bob Hoar's day of rememberance ( a truck enthusiast from there) He just recently passed away and the family had a memorial for him at the Golf Club. Jim Falconer took his HD Hayes Dump truck down along with a couple others. Must have been Jamie Stevens Pacific (Yellow) and his dads 1955 Clipper conv (Blue) Bob was a member of the American Truck Historical Society on the Island here as well as several other clubs .He was well known in the truck circles for his fantastic collection of pictures. Bob had a heart as big as his whole body -would do anything for anybody, Go anywhere for that one great picture! His passing has left yet another empty spot in the OLD TRUCK scene here on Vancouver Island. Any of the shows here on the island will be just a little bit quieter without Bob. His loud voice and hearty laughter and most of all his Harley Davidson Ford P/U. He was just one of those guys you always took a shine too. I was going to do a thread on him on the Hayes site here because he loved them so much, but since you asked this will do the same thing.
HDX,thanks for info,the middle unit was red,possibly vintage fire truck,I did see Jim's name on door of Hayes
1972 Clipper forsale on Kijiji. Says in the add it's going to get scrapped if no body buys it. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks...ler/588772114?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Blk prince Bill Drummond Ladysmith , repaint at his own home . Truck was J. Loudon's Bill's father inlaw.
I was out for coffee last week with some friends in Kamloops. One of the friends is an ex- trucker and we were talking about Hayes Trucks. He told me the wide hood HD came out in 1970, I told him I thought it was earlier than that. So, who is closer to being right? Regards, Sicard
Caycuse Hayes HDX #6-230 Ken McKechnie's Hayes HDX #6-230 on May 6 2014.
Old Hayes at Homfray Creek in 1955 This is my father George Taylor driving an old Hayes for Northern Timber Co. at Homfray Creek in 1955. Truck #22. Homfray Creek is up Desolation Sound on the coast and is 166km from Vancouver.
Old Hayes at Homfray Creek in 1955 (Set 2) This is another photo set of my Dad's old Hayes at Homfray Creek in 1955.
Taylor57 I gotta try and find out more about the truck (#22) It must have gone over a rebuild at Pacific in North Vancouver. Reason I say that is because she now has Pacific mirror brackets Fenders and fuel tanks as well as a Pacific hood and battery box As well the windshield wipers have been installed on top of the windshields Actually she looks like a Pacific with just a Hayes grill shell. I will see what I can find out about her OK Those are really neat pictures Good Post Thank you
HDX, Very interesting stuff. Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to what else you can find out about her. I did notice that the hood was lacking the usual decorations and emblems I've seen on the photos of other old Hayes.
Taylor57 Yes she is a Hayes the cab and grill shell are along with the front bumper so im guessing that she was in some kind of an accident and Pacific Truck and Trailer rebuilt her. Pacific water tank and all the sheet metal is Pacific -- Northern Timber Co LTD bought two new 25 Ton Hayes logging trailers-- one in 1947 and one in 1948 so my guess is that Northern Timber bought both these trucks used because they needed trucks. Pacific always did a nice job on rebuilds They looked pretty spiffy when they were finished
HDX,can you tell me what was first truck produced by Hayes,next,on early models there was a name in the side of the hood. Would that be ?????Hayes?
Brass Plate "Hayes Anderson" on each side of the hood. Started out marketing Fisher/DayElder and then started building their own. Serial Numbers started at #50 The reason for this was that if anybody thought they were buying the first truck it might not be very good or might be plagued by problems So the decision was made to start with number 50 and it was sold to King Motor Carriage of Vancouver "Serial Number 50" The oldest recorded truck still around is serial number 113 sold to Home Oil distributers LTD All that is left of her is a frame and axles and firewall but she could be restored given enough time and money. She is owned by a guy here in Port Alberni The serial number was stamped in the rear cross-member back then There is still the odd early version truck around. I know of several around the province . Company started as HAYES MOTOR TRUCKS Then Hayes Anderson Then during the war it became Hayes Leyland. After the war it was Hayes Lawrence then in 1952 it became Hayes Manufacturing and in 1969 Mack bought controlling interest in Hayes and things really changed. George Gray was moved aside and Jack Curcio was put in charge (He was a MACK man from down south)He brought a small crew with him to help Hayes along if you will. It was under that time frame that the original Hayes Cab over was changed over to the Mack (Sheller)cab.This kept the engineering staff extremely busy. Several things were happening at the same time and it was in 1971 that Hayes adopted the Grizzly Bear as their new logo "KEEP THE BEAR FIERCE" was the new slogan. All new style Hayes script signs for the hood, brush guard and door bears were put on. All Chrome. In 1972 all these were gold plated to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Hayes 1922-1972 So if you saw a Hayes Truck with gold signs and bears you knew it was a 72. In 1973 they went back to the chrome ones. These were very busy times at Hayes but in June 1974 Mack bowed out and sold controlling interest to PAC-CAR (KENWORTH/Peterbilt etc) This was when the Peterbilt Cab over truck was made into a HAYES COE. Very classy looking trucks after looking at the Sheller style that was plagued with rust problems. However it didn't last very long till the end came. June 1975. It was the Gearmatic side of PAC-CAR that shut Hayes down. The employees were told they would not be accepting truck orders from that date on. The factory would fill the orders for the Trucks already ordered and then the plant would be locked up and everything would be auctioned off. There was three old Hayes Trucks that had been restored by the employees-- two stake bodies and a fire truck (Cumberland's old truck) and these were going to be secretly hauled out of the factory and sent south of the border to Seattle. When word got out, one of the ex-employees actually broke into the factory with a CBC film crew and did a story on these trucks thus thwarting the move south. That guy was ANDY CRAIG His story was these trucks were restored by Hayes employees at their own time so they should stay here in BC Thus when the new Transportation Museum was formed they found a good home They were safe till the NDP government came to power and they sold the entire collection off for next to nothing. Looking back today it seems that not only big business but also our own government did everything they could to destroy Hayes and all that they stood for. The same fate would befall Kenworth and Pacific and Freightliner and then Western Star So thanks to our government there is not a single truck builder in BC anymore. Talk about loss of talent. I remember the people at Hayes trying to get Dave Barrett and the NDP government to help and they turned their back on them and dumped millions of dollars into a place called OCEAN FALLS pulp mill and they knew it was failing. Sorry Blk prince for the long winded answer but that is her!!!!
Great story HDX....Havent heard George Grays name in a while.He was at Pacific when I was there.Andy Craig was a friend of my dads and I remember Andys Indiana...My dad was a gravel truck driver and was also heavily involved in the Museum.I believe he was on the board of directors...I spent many hours there behind closed doors and drove lots of there stuff...I did the Malahatt Challenge in the 80's in the Museums 1911 White Speedster........ We have lost a lot of good things in this province for really stupid reasons.....Even the govt tried to auction off a bunch of the museums trucks that Mrs.King gave them when they closed...I heard she put a end to it...I am not clear on all the details.. Cory
Very interesting hearing the details of the Hayes company. What a shame to loose a great truck, so many jobs and the knowledge that went along with building them.
Thanks very much for the history HDX. You're right...it is a beautiful truck.
Blk prince
Blk prince HDX Hayes at A-frame dump anybody recognize this one?
I'll bet it is HDX"s truck back when it had 'green leaker" power. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a leak to be seen on this truck though. Thanx Blk prince. And 'nice load.'
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
I was reading in the book, Working in the Woods , that Hayes had two other factories other than the one on 225 West 2nd Avenue in Vancouver, BC. Does anyone know where these factories were? Are they still there? What part of the Hayes Trucks did they contribute? Thanks. from Sicard
Camp Tramp, thanks for sharing the great photos. It was great to see Saunder's HDX's, at Kemano, I guess. from Sicard
Some pics my friend Hank R sent me...This is his friends WHD (1968 ??) Its ex M&B H-194...It is now back in BC...I believe its a Cummins 444 now....Beautiful Truck......I am sure HDX knows about it......Cory
diamondtguy She looks really good . Man Doug did a great job of fixing her up again. Actually the color suits her! She has sure been around the block and then to have her back in BC -- TOP DRAWER She belongs to 72Hayes on this site. He did a ton of work to bring her back up to highway standards and now he is doing the plate thing She will look great at any shows he displays her at. There is a picture or two on the M&B thread with her when she was still relatively new (couple years old) post 751. When Jamie Bracht bought her he rebuilt her and changed the front fenders to the heavy style she has there. He also replaced the original Budd Hubs on the steering axle to Daytons ALSO NOTE she still has the Murphy switchguage on the rad LOL. Maybe he can fill us in on some of the things he found or has done to her. GOOD TO SEE HER HOME AGAIN. I will dig out some pics of her when she was leaving Port Alberni for the auction so many years ago.
HDX the post on 1565 must have been a trip and a half. From the Nitinat flats perhaps?
Yes it was. No foolin you is there LOL It was Jens Nielson with one of our 7220 American Long Boom Shovels(L167) that loaded it. He put out a lot of big berry loads while he was down in there. We had 4 of those long boom loaders L166 Ernie Clarke L167 Jamie Lawler L219 Bruce Thomas and L220 Richard Dawes As well we had 3 7220 American heel boom loaders L162 Emmett Merideth L163 Dennis Shearer L164 Don (PAPPY) Waite
I didn't have to do much to her- a couple of wheel seals and have to add a low air buzzer( they don't recognize a wigwag anymore) and she passed the inspection. Interesting thing is when Dale typed the new inspection form into the computer it came back at UNIT#H194! Doug
HDX,this just caught my eye. Ernie Clarke,L166. A lady just 4 doors from here has last name of Clarke,first is Elaine. I am sure she married an Ernie Clarke from Port but she never moved there. Just wondering.
Well...I will say it again...I think the WHD looks fricken beautiful and its nice to have her home.....Cory
Chris H Hearsey Transport I don't know the whole story ,but these pictures were amongst pictures of Hearsey Transport Duncan B.C. , I can only assume Hearsey's had a subsidiary or partnership with someone else in Prince Albert Sask. in 1967 -68 as in the third picture it shows Lloyd and Chris Hearsey standing beside a Hayes truck.
Chris H , Hearsey Transport Duncan B.C. more pictures from Prince Albert Sask.
Chris H , Hearsey Transport Duncan B.C. more pictures from Prince Albert Sask.
Same Ernie Blk prince Ask her about the old EDSELS he had and his Cessna plane I see Ernie now and then He lives down parksville way Good shovel operator. He went to work in the IWA Office till he retired. I had not seen Ernie for some time and then one day in a grocery store I saw this guy walking. It was just the way he was walking and I went up to him and sure enough it was him Funny how you never forget the way a guy walks.
Amazing who knows who.
These two pictures are of Roy Saunders Hauling Nanaimo. Class of 1963-64, Nanaimo Vocational Training Truck 5 was his first new truck.
Be interesting to know the names of those guys in the picture
I do have the names some where in a file. If I can not find today I will have to wait for a week till Roy gets home, he is my friend in the picture. He is standing in front of the person sitting on the truck. Did Hank S. send you a high resolution picture of this truck? I told him that if your truck club wanted to use it for posters for your shows you have mine and Roy's permission to do so.
No--Thanks anyway Hank , Don't think we will be needing poster for a while Very nice piece of history though.
This old Hayes-Anderson was sitting here in Princeton when I came here in 77, stay here for 2 or 3 years and disappeared. The family that owned it has moved and Gene has passed away.
Hank That truck was originally Granite Bay Logging unit #5 1943 That is why it has that style steering wheel Same as the DiamondT and most every other truck built during the war
The gentleman in the white was Mr. John Sewchuk,instructor at then VTS. I had him for my pre-apprentice program in 1966-1967.
This early HD logging truck and trailer were converted to haul ore from the Argonaut mine, I believe. Maybe someone can fill in some of the blanks.
Was Roy Saunders still bringing his trucks into the school for service work. My friend Roy Harker was in the picture and I drove his P-10 and HD Hayes hauling coal. My other friend Burke Bullington was in the afternoon class at the same time. The funny thing is that the afternoon class always worked on Roy's trucks after a days work. He got this new Hayes and the morning class was on the quick to get their picture taken with this new and large Hayes. The afternoon latter in the day was P_____ at the morning guys.:beatsme
BCFP REnfrew Div. HDX Hayes preloader #6-236 driver Reid Bryson being loaded by Cat Stacker
God I love it!!! the hard hat and hi-vis vest sure stick out!! Then to be standing on top of the deck boards Don't get any better LOL
Haven't times change since 1981 LOL
I took these in Kamloops in 1977, the White truck dealer is now the Pete dealer. Hayes is sitting where the Esso card lock is, the second picture is looking toward the Petro Canada truck stop.
Re Burke, I was at a course with Burke and have always wondered about him, any updates appreciated. Thank you.
These were the last pictures taken of H-194 in Port Alberni just as she was leaving for the Ritchie Bros. Auction. First picture shows Jamie Bracht standing beside her. Second picture shows the low-bed Jamie had behind it.
HDX thanks for the before pictures, looks like it always was a good looking truck. I am sure it has a great home now Doug will find room in his shop or build on he is all about looking after the gems.
She lucked out for sure. Now all we gotta do is talk him into the front fender thing LOL
Looks like this Hayes is just used around the yard for light duty work, Powell River.
I did a little road building today and hauled the first two loads with my little HD. I figured that the Duncan show was fast approaching and I haven't hauled any weight in the truck! So far so good! http://youtu.be/KSOK0Dwu7pk http://youtu.be/WBMiEoV4NTs Thanks for looking!
I am impressed with your build quality, I have 2 RC kits I play with. Are you using a 3 channel radio, now a Pacific would make me want one.:drinkup
Hey Hank....RCP and I have had numerous chats about building some P-16's..I am currently trying to figure out how to make the I beam frame....I am pretty sure I will be starting with 2x2 sq bar.......Cory
Keep me in mind if it happens, we are changing our crawlers to speed Wraiths, got the wife one also. P-16 or 12 would work for me.
Thanks very much Hank. This only needs a 3 channel at the moment but it is using a 6 channel. I have a few more things to add that will use up the extra channels in the future. Cory is right, we have been trying to sort some things out to build one or two P16's...Or more.... The biggest thing is the cost/man hours to do what we both want. To build a truck like this Hayes is fairly easy because the driveline isn't very accurate and can be bought for a few hundred dollars. I have just over a month of working on it full time into the Hayes plus around $800 in parts. My Kenworth is completely scratch built and much more correct(also much larger) but has nearly 400 man hours in it plus about $1500 in materials/electronics. I am trying to sort out a way to make the rear diffs easier than manual machining them like I did for my KW850 and then we're good to go! Here's another video from today. I used a shovel to rough in the road but then used my 1/10 scale Cat 955K to smooth it out a bit for the Hayes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNK5-bKkxY&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A Reg
RCP57,videos are awesome,I showed them to a friend,not a trucker. He does not believe they are of a hand built model
Here are a few pictures that Dave McIntosh gave me from Kwatna Bay taken in 1994.
Dave McIntosh must have bought Bill Neil's Hayes and Kenworth heres a picture of them at Port Renfrew around 1980 to 1985.
Bill Neil's last HDX Hayes loaded across bridge at bottom of Tr. 11 headed for Gordon River M/L early 1980's. Could this be the same truck as the Hank R posted owned by Dave McIntosh in 1994 ?
I was under the impression that Dave did not own any off highway trucks he had a couple of trucks on with Aggressive transport a Hayes Cab over and a IH transtar.
Sorry Hank R was Dave Mc driving them for someone else ? Kind of interested as to where Bill Neil's trucks ended up. He was a real genuine character don't know how old he was when the super at Renfrew Div. told him maybe it was time he quit driving his Kenworth and put a driver on it , just about broke his heart . He spent his whole life either driving or wrenching logging trucks , didn't have any hobbies, except the boat he kept out at Pedder Bay Marina ,to fish the Race Rocks area , and I'll tell you that was an adventure in it's self.
No reply want to put this out to all. Whether you are 5 or 50,000 miles away have a great day!
Hd 37-58 seen this one on here before in better condition, hope it has a chance to live on. HD 37-58 s/n 5134
sold this green HD has been bought and will be restored, was talking to the new owner and he said the other two HD's with it could go for cheap as the owner needs them gone. green HD 21-50 s/n 7081853. all are on page 50 this thread.
I received a great huge group of pictures this morning thanks Rick. These 2 pictures were taken in Lapas Manitoba in 1973. R.W. Saunders from Namiano B.C. were hauling in a different way than we do in B.C.
it is a little different
Somebody needs a project!! http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/red-deer/1959-hayes-clipper-with-cummins/603966467
This is my first post on the Hayes site! I've looked and read the Hayes thread for awhile, lots of good info on here. I am a member of ATHS Vancouver Island Chapter. Just to let truck fans know, we are having our truck show at the BC Forest Discovery Centre July 12-13, 2014. This year's Truck Show poster features Roy Saunders' 1970 Hayes HDX, it was restored years ago by ATHS members (I think). At this year's Truck Show, I know there will be three, maybe more, Hayes at the show, this includes mine. If you have any questions feel free to check our web site www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com or post questions here to me. Regards
Those pictures of Roy Saunders trucks in Manitoba must have been in a FERIC project . My cousin Gordon Franklin was a Professional Forester who worked for FERIC a Federal Government Department that did research in Forestry . He once mention a project that involved Roy Saunders in Manitoba. He was from Ontario and they haul most of their logs cut short and loaded cross ways.
There sure is a lot of wood on a trailer, I am guessing it is pulp wood. No idea as to how far they hauled the wood. Was told that they took the bunks off a log trailer and placed I beams on it. Will see if I can get hold of Mr. Gray he was up there driving for Saunders.
Just heard back, and Saunders was hired by the Mill and had 4 trucks on From January to March.
the driver ,s name was R W grey he drove for Roy Saunders in kitamat holberg woss and manitoba sorry for the miss spelling on the name hanky
Oh, the harsh memories this little segment resurrects. We used to do something similar in the South. We called it cutting 'shortwood'. I did it for a couple years, until I came to realize that the longer I stayed at it, the further behind I got. I did plantation thinning. Falled and bucked the marked trees to 6 foot lengths, drug 'em to the truck by hand (we cut out every fourth row as a truck row), and loaded 'em with a cable loader I built that was similar to the one in this photo: The truck in the photo was fairly typical of what most of the shortwood trucks looked like back then. I had a Louisville Ford LN700 that looked pretty sharp. Got about 12 MPG loaded or empty, which was better than my pickup got. Took a couple of gals out in it for a date. Once.
HDX, probably only you would know that my handle / username means the Hayes script from the Hayes parts book. Am I correct in saying that the ATHS, including you at that time, restored the Saunders' HDX? Could you give us some details on what it took to restore that truck? I've heard you, personally, put in a lot of hours to get it looking great. regards and thanks, Cam R
Hank R, next time you speak with Mr. Grey could you ask if he ever drove for Saunders at CZ Nitinat? I ask this because around 1975 we had a Saunders truck haul with us. Driver came through Cameron Division to Br 47 everyday then went back home the same way,empty of course. Name just seems to fit. Thanks.
Will do that might take me a day.
Yes it was him, Bob Grey now lives in Fraser Lake B.C.
Thanks for that. Just goes to show that the answers are still out there. Do you know Bob personally? Is he living the dream?
I do not know him personally just through a trucking friend. Is he living the dream??? He was out hauling logs today. I believe he has a very successful trucking company. I feel like a dateing service here:drinkup
Thanks for info.
HDX never know what your going to find when going through stuff 1st # 2062338 2nd # 6053091
I see there is a Hayes bed truck on the Grand Prairie RB Auction tomorrow. I think it's a 1969 from the serial number.
Good score camptramp OK serial number 2062338 was BCFP Unit 6-222 new at Harris Creek Camp as you can see she came with the Cummins V8 --903 engine that those earlier trucks had for power!!And Serial number 6053091 Was BCFP unit number 6-229 went to Caycuse new. I can go into further details if anybody wants them This is the condensed version. HOWEVER both these old girls are down in the Sarita Area of Operation as Fire Tankers and owned by Island Pacific Logging. Between you and I those plates are better off right where they are as opposed to on the trucks because they would just end up on some ones "Bragging Wall" Good score and Thank You for sharing them with everybody
Will be there tomorrow, see if I can get photos, lots of trucks in this sale!
If you can you should take some pictures. Would also be interested to see what it goes for.
NP-15-A, Interesting to read of the truck show on Vancouver Island. You say you have a Hayes? Do you think you could post a photo of it? I like looking at these trucks, there are not a lot here in the BC interior. Good luck with the Truck Show. Hope to come to a show one day. from Sicard
Here is a HD Hayes in the Princeton area getting loaded owned by Don Lind.
RCP57 what are you working in now?
This is my friends 1972 Hayes HD 50th Anniversary, 350 Cummins, 13 speed. Don Taylor trucking. photo 1980
Nothing new but something that's been nagging at me for 2 years.lol Check out the skidder thread to see what I"ve been up to... The little HD should have an update in the next few days too...I hope! Reg
Good to hear from you,thanks for theupdate
Hayes WHD model Long time since new pics of Hayes has been posted. Here is a Picture of an WHD-model. Pic taken this summer. I just returned to Denmark after a great Holiday in BC. Sadly I was not able to go searching for logging equipment as I am used to but I found some. More to come...
Hayes HDX Hayes HDX Kwatna Timber unit LT12. Sadly it seems it has seen it's last load.
Hayes HD 6x4 dump truck. Pics taken this summer. This might be an old McKay truck unit #R111. HDX; please can you ad some information on her. She still has the old square windows, so an old girl.
That truck was one of the original 1955 HD's that went to M&B Nanaimo River Division Somewhere I have her M&B unit number Will see if I can find it
Looking close and I would say that some of these beauties would be back on the road in a short time.
HDX, thanx. Here is some pics of an HDX preloader. I am not sure if this is an ex BCFP truck, so I posted pics on this thread. Pics were shot this summer!
Another HDX with lowbed. Summer 2014
This is ex BCFP unit 6-238 over at Stillwater if im not mistaken I have not seen her for a long time but she would be one of the only survivors of these trucks still able to haul logs with Last time she was on here she was hooked up to a lowbed
If you post a picture of the drivers side that will tell the story
I received these pictures from Cam Rizzie, this is his 1974 HD Hayes he and his son have been working on for the last 6 years.
Great job Cam! nice to see another one brought back to new! Doug
Looks like an RTO 9513.
Hayes HDX, Malaspina Enterprises unit #15
Hayes HDX, Kip Brown Trucking Ltd unit #6. Summer 2014.
Was this in Campbell river?
RCP57; No, in a few days I will post pics of Hayes trucks I found in Campbell River
Hayesno1 It was good meeting you at the truck show. You seem to be able to find a lot of trucks, and have shared some great pictures. Not sure how you find so much stuff but sure glad you share it with us.
Dear 72 Hayes, Thanks for the compliment about my truck. It always seems so much to get ready for a show, but worth it in the end. Yes, it is an RT0 9513 transmission in it and has the original engine too, a 350 Cummins. I am the second owner of this 1974 Hayes. I see you have another addition to your collection, a WHD. Good luck with what you are doing with it. Regards,
Hayesno1, nice to see you made it to Powell River, has lots of iron around in a small area, hope you were able to capture it all and had a good trip. Cam
NP-15-A You and Peter have done on heck of a job on your HD. Remember I saw it before you started when it was up in Courtenay. I like the bone stock condition and the way you two did things to her. No Glitz just a very nice example of a HD Hayes from the past. That is about the way she would have been sitting on a dealership lot for sale when new. If you need anything for the final touch's just let me know If I have it and you need it its yours
Hi dirty4fun; It was great meeting you at the truck show. It sounds you had an awsome tour on The Island. I guess you now are addictive of The logging industri on The Island just like me. So many great people that welcomes you like you have known Them for years. Thanks for your comments re finding trucks.
NP-15-A; Great to meet you. Thanks for showing your nice truck at the truck show. You did a great job. I am impressed how you made the fenders. I will post pics of your truck in near future..
Greatwestcam; thank you and for sure I found that little spot. It was like a goldmine for me. With 3 girls waiting in the RV I only had less than half an hour but I got a bunch of pics, but sadly no measurements for my modeling. Next time I have to stay there for some days. Kim
2 Hayes HDX; I think owner is Olsen, Campbell River. Summer 2014. The orange HDX might be an old BCFP truck. At rad guard it says #40-128
This truck was ex BCFP unit 6-251 from Caycuse Division Driver was Ozzie Nelson. When they were going to highway trucks she was sent over to Nanaimo Lakes area Engine was damaged over there and she sat for some time. Timber Waste stuffed another engine in her and took her to the first Chemainus auction where she was bought by Pope and Talbot and lowbedded up to Midway BC and used to haul logs around their sort/mill yard. After the economy went into the toilet she was parked and was for sale I tried several times to buy her but nobody was able to complete the transaction up there due to paperwork issues. The Olsen Group eventually did get things straightened out and they brought her back to the coast Good to see her still around. She was the only BCFP HDX with two horns mounted on the roof. In the picture she has only one but the horn saddle is still there for the other one I would imagine that a log was dropped on the deck boards above the cab and wiped out the other horn Very common
Thanx for information HDX. At Forestech North of Campbell River I found 3 Hayes. 2 Hayes HDX preloaders. Check out Forestech website for information. The red Hayes HD model I don't know anyting about. Sadly gates were closed every time I drove by. Can someone ad some information on the red Hayes.
In May this year I was there and always locked up on 2 different days, some great iron and trucks in that end of town.
Hayes HDX with huge lovbed, Port Alberni, summer 2014. Owner unknown.
Kim I think next time I am going to follow you around as you seem to find some very interesting trucks. I sure am going to do some more exploring next time, thanks for sharing or is it teasing with all the great pictures.
It's like the Hotel California: You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.
The above PreLoad coupled to the lowbed was taken in the Cameron Shop Yard Now belongs to Mt Sicker Logging -- Truck was ex BCFP unit 6-232 Also parked there was another HDX Preload ex M&B unit # H319 also owned by M/S
Once again HDX your knowledge of who owns what is totally amazing. Not sure if you have a notes on this or just remember but you are awesome, Steve. Thanks for sharing so freely, it is appreciated!
I also would like to thank-you HDX for sharing your knowledge. I have learned so much in the last two months I have been here.
Well put. That's why I enjoy the HE-site so much. Lots of pictures, history, stories, knowledge and much more all shared in a mix. Thank you to everyone.
Few pics of Cam's truck at The Duncan truck show. Great job Cam. Hope you find a bed to her. How about this one I found in Fort Nelson in 2008? I think she is still going strong..
Hayes HD dump truck still in action. Campbell River, summer 2014
Hayes HDX logging truck. Owner might be Thompson Trucking. Campbell River 2014
These two HD Hayes were in Kamloops Hot August nights car and truck show yesterday.
HD logger Here is a nice old logger, s/n 6096 so guessing a 1974? looked to be complete and in decent condition.
Sold through HAYES EQUIPMENT Delivered Feb 25/74 NTC 350 Cummins SSHD's 4.63 ratio Fuller RTO 12510 main and Fuller AT 1202 aux trans Truck was Coral and White There was no direct order on this truck so no name attached. Nice looking truck though Good one Greatwestcam
Bed Truck HD Thanks HDX, I might have some more for you coming up. Here is a HD Bed truck that is still working in the Whitecourt area. Talked to the owner, said he was P.O. about some one stealing the chrome name plates and bears, but the truck works regularly with out missing a day.
What's the deal on the strange-looking shifter knob on the main transmission? It almost looks like one from a 13-speed from that period, but not quite.
Another Bed truck Here is a yard work horse, 1968 HD s/n 8123513. doesn't get out much anymore
Blk Prince; pics of Holbrook & Dyson Hayes HDX with lowbed
Hayesno1,good morning. Thanks for the pictures. Is this their only Hayes? Only ask because I saw the rest of the trucks are Stars. Looking at the Hayes front axle,the planetary covers on both sides have oil marks,perhaps there was a rear end problem recently.
Good evening Blk Prince, 9 hours time difference...LOL; I took these Pictures way back in summer 2005 at Vernon. This was the only Hayes I saw. There was a P16 logging truck parked in their little shop. Rest were Western Star logging trucks. They had a huge KW off highway bed truck with 3 rear axles. I got pics of her somewhere. I have not been to Vernon since 2005. That is one of those Places I'll have to see Again.
Hayes HDX Kip Brown unit #9. It has seen better days, but hopefully she go back to work some day...
Hayes HDX Olympic Forest Products unit #H277 summer 2014
Looks like this poor old girl suffered a bit of on injury. As for the Holbrook pictures, my friend from Port McNeil,formerly of Eve River, goes into the Holbrook camp through Xmas and does camp watch duties. I need to get him to take pictures of their iron.
My 69 HD with trailer mounted
And a few more
Now there is one classy truck!!!! You have done an excellent job on her Nice clean straight lines Well Done Rodger She can take her place at the head of the line once again
great job Roger, she looks good! Doug
Wow! looking good there Roger, see you have been making good use of your spare time..lol
Thanks guys
I will even let you park that good lookin Hayes in my yard.
That sure is a purty truck you have Roger. Mighty fine job, got any before you started for comparison?
Here you go
You've done a lot of work to it Rodger , bet it felt good when the tires hit the pavement.
Thanks for the before pictures, makes it great to see the dramatic change you have done to the old girl. Makes my day to see another one saved, not cut up and hauled away as scrap. Thank God for people like you, saving them for latter generations to see and enjoy..
Gordy I. Malloch & Moseley Kilbella Bay Rivers Inlet , C.E."Ted" Routh's #4 with a load of Spruce Bridge Stringers
On page 112, picture 1679 is how #4 is looking now. First owner was Ted Routh, then Butch Carroll, then Steele Rock has it now.
Hd 33-50 Talked to a guy that drove this truck when it had a gravel box on it 10 years ago, at some time later it was redone and saved for those special days. looks nice!
Ritchie bros Chilliwack march 2011
HDX after all these years,have you switched the Maxi buttons on dash so that you pull out to apply? Original came with push to apply on Pacifics and I assume the Hayes maxis were the same.
No Blk prince Still push em in to apply Both truck and trailer Yellow truck Red trailer. We had a couple some years back that used the "Sealco" style remember the black ones with the split pin through them Pull to Apply I have one or two of these somewhere on the shelf somewhere.
Thanks to Doug (72 Hayes) I felt I won the lottery, he has his WHD plated and he let me go for a drive down the highway, the best 1/2 hr of the year. This truck is a dream to drive at 10 ft wide all the cars give you lot of room just look in the mirror and make sure you are in your lane and you are king driving down the road. Thanks Doug
Thanks for posting those pictures Hank Doug was always going to but never got around to it They make a nice couple sitting together like that!!! Now I will post a couple of my WHD and HD together.
I thought the "push" to apply maxi's was sort of a safety thing....In the event something happens to the driver he just has to push/lean on/fall on the buttons and it locks the whole thing up..........Cory
No Cory When M&B Cameron Division got two new P16 Gliders in 1986 One Conventional H234 and one Preload H233 They both came from the Pacific Factory with the Sealco type Maxi Button Pull to apply the old black one -- Al Horton Driver of H233 could never get over that!!! Don't know if it was still in there when sold to Mars Contracting in 2002 during the big garage sale at Cameron Division. She would be totaled in a bad accident a few years later
So it was more of a manufacture/brand/supplier thing ????Cory
Looks like 2 Hayes found truck paradise , well done Doug , thanks for the pictures Hank R
Hello Cory,I would not have any knowledge as to why the changeover but you would have to look way back to find a " push-on and pull-off" maxi button nowadays.
Thanks...I was just curious...I remember someone at Pacific telling me they were "push" on for safety reasons.You guys have made me aware that not everything we were told was exactly factual.......That's ok...25 years later I am still all ears......Cory
It was all about the $$ sealco is less expensive than williams and kenworth and pete were using them in that era and kenworth used them in off highway also so if they were approved with transport canada they were jumping on board to keep cost down just like today. The bottom line!
Gordy I M & B Squamish Div. HDX Hayes
Since the video of my Kenworth 850 model build photos was well received, here is one of the little Hayes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTmowbcwVVE&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
Reg you are mean I want one bad but.............the wife want new hardwood floor in the house..So you know that I am not going to win. Great job again as usuall. Thanks for the video Hank R
Reg, Thanks for sharing the Hayes also. Just is totally amazing the amount of work you have to go through to build a working model. Also a little crazy that you would let me operate it at the Duncan truck show, just made it all the more special to me to see the building of your Hayes. Oh it was another great job, building and then making the video of it all.
I will be building another one in the coming months! Maybe once I get started on it your wife will order you one for Xmas? Thanks Jim, I figured you were over qualified after driving an HDX the day before...
Sent you a e-mail asking question as to size etc.
Hd Talked to the owner of this HD, said he still use's it to haul gravel when needed, and that every gauge and light still works. looks really straight and has plans to fix it up right. also has a parts truck that came with it.
Sept 18 1973
Thanks HDX, here are a couple more pics
These trucks are still working here in Brazil after all these years. Follow some recente pictures of them
Good to see they are still cared for and working. How many Heavy Hauler trucks do you have there? Need more pictures Thanks. Hank R
jama Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures for us! Sure is good to see them today after so many years down your way. They sure seem to have a good home. Are all 4 of them still being used ? Quite often they will get down to only two or maybe three and use the other as a parts supply. She has a ballast tank on her now !!! Did they remove the oscillating 5th wheels on all of them or just her? I see she has GOOD YEAR Tires on her Is it as hard to get 14:00X25 tires down your way as it is up here ???. Do they have a lot of miles on them ??? Speedometers were in miles back when they were new! Im sorry for all the questions but sure is nice to see them again She does look good!! If I can be of any help just PM me OK
hayse HD heading to work up jervis inlet
HDX how would this trailer load? If it is with a winch,then how would the reach stay up?it would a strap to hold it in place. Also I do not see a lift strap?
HD2014welcome to the site. Do you know where the logging show is located? How long was the haul? Good job on posting pictures. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Blk prince and yes I do we are working up jevis inlet Patrick point to be exact its only a few km haul and the trailer has no winch system to load there is a strap we put the ramps on so you can basically load the trailer with anything I will take some pictures of us loading it and post them next time I'm out of camp my grandpa bought the truck years ago been in the family ever since when he bought this one he got two other HDs as well both are gravel trucks now we still have them too
Welcome to the site HD2014 Great to see her working Are you up past Vancouver Bay?? Blk prince scope out the pictures of this truck back on thread 906 Some good shots of her there also. The HDX dump truck looks very ex-BCFP Was she one of them Seems we misplaced a couple of them They just disappeared ???
Thanks HDX I'm not sure on the HDX gravel truck it could be ex bcfp I know we have a few things of there's Im pretty sure it was a logging truck up until late 90s cause we ended up rebuiding the truck and putting the dump box on it I will find out some more about it for you she rolled over on her side earlier this year dumping I've got a few picture i will post soon
HD2014,I did not realize you were part of the crew. Sorry,I would have asked you about loading the trailer. HDX,I did check 906 thanks
No worry's blk prince. HDX yes we are past van bay I'm heading back this morning to camp will take pic a post more when I'm back
Hayes Anderson Logger Taken in Whonnock(Maple Ridge,BC )in the early 1930's.These are part of a small collection of a friends pics of his family's early logging.
Very nice....I live in Whonnock just up the road from the very old and still functional Post Office.....Cory
I just happen to have Two of those aluminum rad shells hanging around !
Yes you do....and as I recall I offered to repair the window in one of them....Just another reason for me to come back inhale some logging air.....Cory
I'm at it again! Reg
Nice to see you back at it ,Reg. What are you going too build for us ?
Looks like Reg might have a big order from Saunders to work on.
You sure have a talent for making all those parts that you manufacture, come out looking so darn good. Keep sharing as the build goes on, I sure enjoy seeing the pictures.
Reg, Is this one for your fleet or one you are building for someone else? I sure had a good time driving your Hayes dump truck, at the truck show. If you need a driver next year again I hope to get back up there. This time I am going to spend more time and see more of the island, and spend some more time with Steve in his HDX. I don't want to wear out my welcome with him, I enjoyed it so much riding with him that I could of done that for a long time. One of if not the best vacations I ever had and met some of the most friendly people ever. Everyone made me feel like I an old friend, and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year. Had our first snow, just enough to turn the ground white, last evening. It went from shirt sleeves to Carhartts in one day, with a lot of wind, just to make it miserable. As usual the good weather days I was stuck inside working on a remodel at the bank. Will be back there the middle of the week to finish what I can, since the tile is done. Told the bank I am retiring after this job, as I have remodeled just about all the bank over the last six years. Been a good place to work, with the president opening and holding the door for me in the morning. Got to love small towns, and old friends!
Thanks guys. One of these(complete truck) is going to a road building company in Port Alberni and the other(just cab, fenders, and hood) is going to TNTL Mini Logging & Construction out of Courtenay to rebuild a truck.lol( https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TNTL-Mini-Logging-Construction/135995429936116 ). I did some finish work on the cabs yesterday so I will post up some more pictures soon. I guess I will make the fenders next although I am very busy at the moment building other things for people so I'm getting spread a little thin. I'm trying to manage my time wisely but that never happens... Jim, you are welcome to run any of the equipment, any time! We are all looking forward to your next visit!
The cabs are nice and smooth now and ready for drip rails and door handles...
We are watching and wishing for a spec of your talent
Why do you think I hung around even drove the Hayes truck. Not a bit rubbed off, he has a real talent. Looking good Reg.
#12 (the brass bear) up and hauling logs after a lengthy makeover
All I can say is Wow.....she looks great.......Cory
RCP57,you have been very quiet since you threw out your teaser,Reg. Could we please have an update?
HDX.....tell me a story about this truck.....
diamondtguy....12 is original order from R.G Stevens, serial number 6311, 1974. I was told it was the first HDX ordered from Hayes Manufacturing stock with BD121,000 Clark rear ends due to hauling trains in Cumsack Creek, Bute Inlet. First few loads were hauled with wrong ratios and chewed a set of tires up. Had to fly a Clark rep in to tear one down and rebuild it so they were both matched. We purchased this truck and it's sister from R.G. I have the original build sheets on the trucks.
Thanks...Its a great looking truck...Had a similar problem with a P-16.Test driver and I had it out in the lot as it was acting funny.Did some checking and found one diff trying to turn faster than the other.Seems the ratio got tagged wrong somewhere along the line...All was well after a gear change........Cory
dieselfreak Did you get your new addition home on Saturday????
You bet HDX. Had to do a little unfreezing before going to get it with the pack mule, but I lowbedded it in just before dark. Plan is to try and see smoke this weekend. Really appreciate the history and insight on the new addition. We will keep in touch.
If I get a chance I will post a couple pics of her if its OK with you, She for sure has a good home. Will dig out the line setting ticket of her for you over Christmas holidays and bring up
That's more than ok. Thanks, rest assured she will be well cared for and brought back to the shape she is deserving of. It would be great to see you over the holidays, look forward to a visit.
going to mount the serial number plate back in 12 but this is the identification plate we have held on to from the dash.
and some pics from the newest addition
Nanaimo River Division 1955 H88 6cyl Rolls Royce 4 speed main 3 speed aux 11:00X22 tires
Can you even get parts for a Rolls Royce engine these days?
No Vigilant Most of the Rolls that were in these trucks were replaced long ago with Cummins 220 HP engines That is what is in her now but having said that it is getting hard to find parts for them also!! Good thing is dieselfreak has a rear dump manifold on that engine so it will really sound fantastic when he fires her up. Those engines have the old loud bark that is so sought after today with that manifold on there Take the muffler off and run a straight pipe up the side and there she is. When new these trucks had the exhaust pipe off the turbo and right up through the hood. However when the Cummins was installed they put on the exhaust pipe and muffler up the side of the water tank. When they get around to her she will look better that new. You have all seen their work Top Notch!
Still keeping the 4X3? I would think that with a 220, one would want a 5X4. I would assume that, since we are talking about a 220, it has also been set up at some point with a Jake? Great stuff on this forum, and I thank you all. I told an old gent at my church who retired from Mack Corporate in Allentown about this place, and particularly about the CL350 thread. His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.
Were they a common engine or just a few were out there? How much power were they.
NO JAKE!!! It came with the old Williams Exhaust brake with the Rolls Royce. Those were the three position air switch with the guage beside the valve I will post a picture of them Good only for up shifting. They were just a air cylinder that operated a baffle in the exhaust pipe and the air valve controlled how much that valve would close. Williams made a modern day one and is still available today only it is called a "BLUE OX" exhaust brake. The US Military also used a similar one on the M123A1C 10 Ton Tractors used as tank transporters/retrievers with the 903 Cummins engines. They were an "After Issue Upgrade" because they were so slow to drop RPM between shifts. I have the truck and I have the two exhaust brake kits from US but never got around to installing them YET
Hank There was a number of them around Hayes got into a deal with the BC Government that involved trade and import etc with the United Kingdom back in 1955 It was not all that good for Hayes They put them in Highway trucks as well as the off highway trucks but customers hated them after a short period of time. They were similar to the Cummins and came with either Turbo or Supercharged versions. I drove them in the HD Hayes's for a while and never minded them at all. I think they had injector line problems (always would crack and spray fuel all over) as well as other issues but for the most part they did OK. There are still a couple in old restored trucks but not very many. Parts were a major reason for turfing them. We even had one in the Sarita Dump Machine and that was installed in 1970.
I'm familiar with the Ox. I believe some of the medium duty Jap trucks still come with their own proprietary version. Doesn't hold a candle to a Jake, but it was a nice option on a T300 Kenworth back in the day.
Vigilant Here is the exhaust air control I took pictures of two of them only to try and show the different positions
Good info. Thank you, sir.
While I was at it I took pictures of a Williams Water flow control valve bank, These were used mostly on highway trucks when they wanted to add water cooled brakes to their trucks.
Pictures of H88 ex Nanaimo River Division MacMillan& Bloedel 1955 HD Hayes This is dieselfreaks new acquisition.
My late father used to talk about the log trucks up in the Idaho Panhandle when he was there back in the early Fifties. He said they used some type of hydraulic retarder called.... you guessed it.... a Hydrotarder. He said you could hear one a mile away, and they had a sound all their own. Although I have never seen one in person, I have heard that some heavy trucks are spec'd with a Brakesaver, Jake, and an Ox.
More pictures of her after he cut the big fire tanker off her. This is how she looked when he took her to her new home and new future.
Try again Worth looking at twice anyway
I came across our old H317 M&B Preload that was sold to Hayes Forest and then they sold it to Surespan Bridge and then I guess they surplused her and she was sold again So she is once again back in the forest industry
So is this the HD you were talking about a month or so ago Steve? If it is, it turns out that it doesn't look to bad! I'm glad you saved it dieselfreak!
Sadly Ian, I have nothing new to report on the Hayes HD models. I have been busy working on some Dozer conversions and also some dump truck/dump trailer parts though. I'm always building something it seems, just not always stuff I can post here. I see a trip to Port Alberni in my future over the holidays. I need to annoy HDX some as it's been a while since our last visit. When there I hope to visit the "field of dreams" so that I can grab some more detailed photos of the rear suspension. Once I have that I will get back on with the build.
I like it....Nice old school heater in the truck similar to my Diamond T heater.Also looks like a vintage pull out ash tray on the bottom of the dash.Just missing the clip on flash light holder for the steering column...Looks like fun.......Cory
2nd picture on post 1780 show's clearly just where the exhaust pipe (4 inch straight pipe) came through the hood. Yes Reg that is the truck. We went back up just on the off chance she was still there and sure enough she was . Was not going to let her get cut up and had a check in the old pocket just in case. But alas she had already been adopted by dieselfreak They will fix her up very nicely . Will go up at Christmas shutdown and visit them. Hope he got her running today!
RCP57, thanks for the update. Always nice to hear what you are working on. Variety is spice of life,Lol
HDX,are you back in your regular seat?
No!!!!
HDX....your truck is down ????
HDX I didn't think I was that hard on your truck. I suppose it was my fault for the broken spring mount since I was sitting on that side, and bouncing on the seat after a few bumps in the road. Hope you are back in her and give her a pat for me, too.
NO NO its not that Its just that we have had so much rain and wind events that we just are not working very much, so im sitting in the F350 seat more now! We managed to stuff old 17 inside the Sarita Shop where it is nice and cold and DRY.LOL Besides with all the time off it gives me more time to run around and take pictures to share with you guys on here. Found some interesting stuff that might become available VERY SOON so im thinking that the "Field of dreams" just might get bigger. Finally hooked up with a guy in Courtenay that I have been talking to on and off for some time now and ended up with some really nice HAYES NOS parts. Some for HD some for HDX so they will all go to good use. It was a good day because we ended up talking about the Nanaimo Hayes Crew and the Alberni dealership as well lots of names from the past.
HDX, glad to hear the #17 is being inside the shed, with no problems. I bet you did enjoy your picture taking and chats with the old Hayes crew. Good to remember the old boys from the past keep the memories, going for the future. Probably even had a cup of coffee or two. Only one unhappy probably is Bird! Got back to the cabin this afternoon in time to watch three Eagles, fishing on the river. Sights like that make my day!
HDX, just a quick update, haven't got H88 running yet. Pulled the starter out in the hurricane the other night after work, soaked to the gills, waiting to see how it checks out. I am heading to the interior over the holidays to visit my in-laws so there is a good chance I'll miss you. I have a gift for you, something I don't think you have seen in a while. I've been storing it in one of my vans and came across it the other day. I have 2 so I saved one for you. Let me know what your schedule is. I can always leave it with my crew if I'm not around.
dieselfreak, Am going to bring RCP57 and Kim up over the holidays for a peek around and check out a few things. Have to drop in on BTC and see what is new there and drop some stuff off. Should I leave your "care package" with the shop crew???
Definately, the boys will take good care of it. I have a yard of fun stuff I'm sure you and rcp will enjoy. Wish I was here to catch up, but duty calls though.
Are you in possession of a Murphy switch HDX?
No I only have one but will make some calls and see what we can come up with for you. That is the switchguage you need isn't it?
I have a new one that I was going to give you if you wanted it
Sure do!!! Will buy it off you. Will send PM
Very surprised to see this 1948 Hayes for sale. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4774707617.html
If I had had the room it would be sold. Good looking truck.
HDX, the boys in the shop have this, I told them I was expecting you. It's in Murphy's L-150 box and has your name on it.
Little bit of dust and dirt but it adds character, see you soon
What a wonderful Christmas present!!! It will also be installed on a nice old Hayes Many Thanks dieselfreak
Does the hayes in that ad have a big gas engine in it?
Hey guys,I just joined the forum,I am from PEI and in the process of restoring a 1972 Hayes clipper.Does anyone know where I could find the clipper emblems for the bonnet and a bear for the doors.Also I noticed the pics posted they have hayes mud flaps on the trucks,is there someone out there that makes them?There aren't many Hayes trucks here on the east coast I only know of one other one in the maritimes.
Gmackay Welcome to the forum Lots to see Lots to read. You problem is a very common one. .Keep watching E Bay That is your best option for the bears. You might luck out and find some of the missing stuff However your truck was built in 1972 (50th Anniversary of Hayes) so all the bears and signs were gold plated not chrome. If you find the chrome ones you can get them re-plated in gold anyway.You need two door bears Two "Clipper" signs, two Hayes script signs and the big bear for the top of the hood. Then there is the Hayes "H" that also bolts on there right up where the big bear sits. There are "NEW" bears -- solid ones on flea bay but they are missing the base plate that the bears feet bolt to.Just wont fit on your truck!Base needs three holes for the bears feet and underneath it has 4 bolt holes to mount it on your hood Look for an old original bear and get it re-plated. Mud flaps are hard to get I will see if a guy I know beck east still has a set or two he might part with. Even the mudflaps have a date molded into them. There is a guy in New Jersey that has one he is working on Same as yours PM me and I will give you his number. You can phone him and see what he might have doubles of.
ben46a Yes it does Herc gas
Do you (or anyone else) know which model Hercules?
Thanks HDX,I have the hood bear as well as the hayes emblems,the H for the hood and one of the door bears so I am in pretty good shape,just need the clipper emblems and one door bear and going to send them to be gold plated.I have spoke with the gentleman in new jersey also,very friendly helpful fellow.Is there shows out there in the summer for hayes trucks?Would sure love to go out sometime and see some more hayes trucks.
Wxlc3
Gmackay, Is that Zincks old one out of antigonish?
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've read this whole thread from the very first post; Just want to say that I greatly appreciate the time and effort all you guys have put into photographing, documenting and preserving these west coast legends so that my generation can enjoy them for many years to come. I think it's time to come home from the oilfield in spring and do what every real west coast boy was born to do!
BC-12valve,welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy and are able to post some pictures.
Thank you. I have a few pics of some Hayes HD's from past years taken at the Westwold Steam Show. Also, a few of a Pacific P16 unit LT008 Kwatna Timber truck that has been sitting at Coast Powertrain forever. Hopefully come spring/summer time I will be working with equipment like this and have more chances to take pictures! A question here if anybody is able to answer it as I am fairly unfamiliar with the world of logging.... Does a guy work his way up from the bottom to get a chance to even drive these off-highway units or can a guy with a "regular" class 1 with bush experience have a shot? I've wanted to drive these beauties since I was 12 years old...the coast is calling my name!
BC-12valve,first of all you need a BC licence. It needs to have #15and #19endorsements.these cover highway and industrial air for off highway. If you are not experienced in off highway trucks,then you need to be broke in. Most companies now use the highway trucks for bush and highway hauls. To break in on a off highway,you would need to ride along with someone until you and the trainer feel you could handle these units. You would start off driving empty then gradually drive a loaded truck with a load of 100-130 tons. You do not get paid for this training. These days not many drivers are broke in as it takes a lot of time with no wage. But it is the best job out there from my point of view.Good luck.
Welcome aboard 12V......The Pacific P-16 that's sitting at Coast Powertrain is kind of unique in that it is a manual transmission truck..It was pouring out when I was there but I am pretty sure it was 12V71 powered.. Driver training sounds like fun.....Cory
Wonderful news! I've got my BC class 1 with both those endorsements and off highway experience since I'm a rig mover. Thanks for all the valuable info! In regards to no wage during training I think thats fine as I'll be making the jump from the oil patch. After spring breakup it looks like I'll be job hunting on the island to turn these dreams into a reality. Another question...it seems like this type of logging is somewhat seasonal? Seems like spring and summer are go go go and winter is slow slow slow. If that's the case that's perfect for me as rig moving is balls to the wall in winter and dead in spring and summer
Thanks Cory! You are correct, 12v71 green leaker. Also another P16 there from Tercon. Must be an old coal truck from Fred Sowchuck in Fernie.
The coal truck is actually a P-12..I thought it was one of Sowchucks coal trucks as well but I believe just the drivers door was his...Saddly that truck will probably be scrapped as the people who removed the engine found the need to torch the front(3 layers) of the frame off..Its worth its weight in parts tho....Cory
BC-12valve,generally the logging now is longer with the move to more highway trucks. We have seen the same thing over and over,log the flat in the summer and head to the mountain top in the winter. That is when you need a hobby.
Depending on where you want to live there are a lot of driving jobs around for highway logging truck in the interior of B.C.
The 4 ex Sowchuck P-12 trucks sold at a on site Auction, 1975-$8,500.xx, the 2 1981 sold for $11,000.xx each and the 1982 went for 415,000.xx. the cost of rear ends, transmission and engines is worth far more $$.
So, historically late fall and winters are slower eh? Are there many seasonal guys? I live in lower mainland, only place I'd move would be the island. Princeton eh, gorgeous country up there! We actually have a good family friend up in Princeton that owns a log truck and a few other pieces of logging equipment.
On the island,winter is the slower season. With the use of highway trucks and hyd. Loaders and processors,the crews work most of the summer only they may start 2-3hrs early and shutdown early. Using the off highway trucks with line loaders,the heat can shut them down sooner as friction of lines etc. can start a fire quickly.
Great information Blk prince, really appreciate it. Maybe if I have any more questions I'll shoot you a PM if you don't mind? I've derailed this thread so I'll let someone get back on topic! Happy holidays everybody!
Send a PM anytime.
I've made a little more progress finally on the little HD dump truck. I've spent most of the last few days working away on this stuff. It may not look like much but there are close to 30 hours tied up in these little wheels and the tooling I had to make first to stamp out the centers. The studs are 1-72x3/8 bolts and the brass ones in the axles covers are 0-80. Luckily enough the 0-80 holes aren't threaded. All 60 of the 1-72 holes sure are though! Patience is a virtue using taps that small in aluminum... I have a bit more work to do on them but they are nearly finished appearance wise. I ordered up some decent looking tires for them. Hopefully they will be here next week sometime so that I can stick em on! My next step will be making frame rails and then I can start assembling the chassis. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the tiny parts... Reg
Reg, you are the man! You do a really great job of making your own part, and you pictures are just as good. Thanks for sharing, hope you have it ready for me to check out this summer.
Well Reg,good to hear from you. I missed your updates. Great work. Is this one for a customer?
Thanks guys. Jim, you will have to fight the other Jim for the controls on this one. I guess that might answer your question Ian but if not, yes its for someone else. I don't get to keep this one
Thanks Reg. Supply cannot keep up with demand!
Darn, O J gets to have all the fun, guess he also gets to pay to have the fun. I still think about how fun it was to operate your Hayes Reg, have shown the pictures to many people. Most couldn't believe you had built it, and so many of the others, even the kits you buy aren't as good as what you build Reg. Looking forward to seeing it as it comes together.
Hayes Cab This is quite the Hayes thread... I was wondering if anyone knows much about this cab? Years produced, model... I don't know too much about it at this point, other than in the early 50's the cab got wrecked on a Mack EHU (cement truck I think, about a '39), and that they pulled it off and put on the Hayes cab on the mack chassis... Thanks! Matt
Oh, and "they"... were Evans, Coleman and Evans (Victoria, BC)
Salkeld Welcome to the site! I think we were talking at the Duncan Truck Show a few years ago. Is the truck still around? I seem to recall it being down in Shawnigan Lake area or somewhere close to there. Is this her? The Hayes cab was adapted to this truck. Was originally a "BA" model cab and reworked to fit this application Will try and find a picture of a Hayes truck with the same cab. Cant promise it will happen right away because we are busy but I WILL LOOK for you OK
HDX, Thanks! I have been to a few of the ATHS shows in Duncan, but I'm there in my '40 Chev pickup... This Hayes belongs to a friend (Chris, it was his grandfathers truck) We're in the process of putting it back on the road, Aiming to be done for Nov of this year. That is her in the picture, from way back... It won't be a restoration, as the cab is all we had of it, but she will see the road again! The Cab is currently in Victoria, won't be too long before it goes under the knife for some extensive cancer removal and repairs... I think earlier in this thread I saw a beautiful looking dash... Are there replacement blanks available for the Data plate? Looking forward to a picture of a BA Cheers, Matt
I did a little more looking on the web, and don't recall seeing these ones on the thread. A '32, '35 and '39. Not sure what models they are... The '39 (from Duncan?) looks similar with the front window, but different side windows and door hinges... In narrowing down the year of this one, looking like 36-38 from what I've seen so far...
For those of you that follow my model stuff, I think you may enjoy this! http://youtu.be/Gon-9uTrRXc
Reg,very very nice. So much talent. Thanks for the enjoyment
Now you got me thinking about a Pacific, then I will have to go back to work to afford one??
Reg, Man that is awesome the sound unit was just what you needed to complete the real look, now with the real sound. Totally does make your work just unbelieveable, what a great work you do, on your models, you definitely are the man!
Thanks guys. Come on Hank, you would only need to go back to work for a little while!lol Here's a few more videos from yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Ql250i1Ms&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTTQlsTsxGY&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSCjIzz7Q0&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
That is a great job on those videos and build Reg.
Here's a jewel that I found on the Hillcrest Lumber Reunion video . An old Hayes Trunk with a 60 ft. Madill tower mounted on it , it was the Hillcrest Lumber Co.'s until they shut down in 1968 . I presume Ted Shaw of Sooke B.C. bought it around that time , in the Spring of 1976 he still had it , it was pretty used up but still running ,( we were getting 8 to 10 highway loads a day) it had been pulled over (had a slight kink in the tower that had been fish plated) it never had "Jacks' to lift up the tower to drop the "Pad" you just backed over center then managed to put brace arms that support the base of the tower in place . I kinda fudged the truth about how much experience I had running yarder , so when Tuck Vowels the woods forman stopped hollering at me , and Ted Shaw quit bring out candidates for the position I knew I had it figured out . So shortly after that I got a call from Chum Carley offering me a job running a fairly new Madill 009 yarder on a rubber tire carrier at Sombrio , I gladly accepted .
That a P&H dipperstick shovel in the background?
Don't know for sure never worked there , but I know they had at least one Northwest rigged up with a heal boom .
HDX,question about H-17 or any other self-loaders. Have you had to rebuild or replace the trailer load cylinders? Also has any driver noticed the cylinder mounts cracking at the point of weld on the frame?
No cracks Blk prince but the two side lift cyl's are starting to leak Have not been touched since M&B days in the late 70's and the end seals are going to have to be re-sealed The main ram down in between the frame rails is still good. It has never been done since new so that is pretty darn good
All reflects back to the Driver. Well done!
I would imagine Hayes built there own cylinders.Pretty sure the Pacific stuff was built in house..
This one was cut up in Duncan a few years ago. It was for sale through Vantage Equipment and was supposed to have been sold so we didn't pursue it. Found out later it was destroyed by scrappies.
Thats the same Hayes truck with a Madill tower mounted on it . I bumped in to Ray Shambrook a few years ago , he had been Tending Hook on that old tower for Ted Shaw Logging when I was running it , he told me that Craig Creek logging had bought the tower and he was running it for them .
Was too bad that she got destroyed. We keep looking for one of these model trucks There was one out Nanaimo Lakes area for a long time but we were told she also fell victim to the scrap markets One day though LOL
Outside the gate at Ritchie Bros Dule Point was a Hayes gravel truck,last name on door is Kaatza
OK We will all wait right here by our computers till you post some of the artifacts showing up there
RB auction Hayes Nanaimo trucks from the rb guide. Yellow dump truck is serial #5178 & Ex M&B tanker is serial#5176
Lok at that,good man on the job. Long wait for me to post. Just not able. Good on skadill
Hayes in Alaska I was going through old pictures of my travels and found a Hayes. This photo is from 1996 and was taken at Cholmondeley Sound at a Gildersleeve floating camp. There was two camps in Cholmondeley and I dont remember which of the two camps this was, but I think it was South Arm. Interesting note; Keaton Gildersleeve used Komatsu WA600 wheelloaders in the sort yard for splashing bundles into the saltwater because he said the Komatsu loader could lift a "Seaalaska export bundle". Whereas the competing Caterpillar 988F of the day couldn't quite do it. There was a lot of Komatsu iron on Prince of Wales Isle. During the 90's. Coaldust
Well Done skadill OK They are both sisters---first truck (Dump) s/n 5178 WAS M&B Northwest Bay Division H303 and the Tanker WAS H302 also NWB Division. Is this good enough or do we need more details LOL
Auction pics from the 80's Hayes
Hayes trucks
skadill The picture above of the Yellow HDX with the two blue stripes is ex M&B Copper Canyon unit number H57 Was bought by Frank DeIco from Nanaimo and after he did some work on it she was resold Never seen her since. That picture was taken in his yard in Wellington Shop is still there. If you look at the battery box It has a set of steps welded on the running board thus making it almost impossible to remove the batteries. Had a good look at her when he had her at Independent Diesel getting the engine checked out. Too many years ago
Hdx working at Patrick point
HD2014 Have not seen that old girl for a long time. She was a BCFP PreLoad truck cant remember her original number but her last unit number was a Fletcher Challenge unit 40-0107 Was up in the Campbell river area. Is she still a pre load or has she been changed to a conventional Cant tell by the pictures Thanks for sharing with us
Don't believe I see the telltale preload landing gear hanging in its raised position......
HDX it's a self loading one with a winch not sure if it's the same style as when BCFP had it. It use to have a hydraulic 5th wheel but was cut out by the owner of it before. I have more pictures just having troubles posting them will keep trying thanks for the info on the truck HDX
Could it be the #6-237 a Renfrew truck or a Pit Lake truck ? Maybe #6-248 ?
HD2014; Great pics and thanx for sharing. Good to see she is going strong. Last time I saw her was in Courtenay 2005. In post #1865 it looks like another HDX with dump body beside 40-107. Difficult to see colors but looks like an old BCFP truck as well. Any Info on her?
Any idea what that well-preserved old Transtar in the background was used for? She looks a bit out of place in the Canadian woods.....
camptramp 6-239 became 40-108 and 6-238 had already been sold back when you guys were still BCFP so we know it was not her. She could well be 6-237. Truck has the Renfrew mirror bracket extensions but does not sport the drivers side step brace. Did notice that the original door had been replaced with another one as did the drivers side mirror post. That would explain why it didn't have the green stripe on the L/H mirror post half way up. Maybe HD2014 can come up with some numbers on her somewhere. You will be looking for a 6-### or a serial number. If you get a chance look on the frame behind the L/F steering tire Right around where the brake air line for the front wheel brakes comes through the frame. Stampped into the frame you will find some numbers If it is 6-237 it will be a seven digit number starting with 004 If it is 6-248 it will be a four digit number starting with 55. Now you have a mission As if you didn't have enough to do already LOL Thanks again for posting them
The #6-232 was the first self loading preload trailer at Renfew Div. it had the winch mounted between the frame behind the water tank . the #6-236 , #6-237 , #6-238 , #6-243 , #6-244 , #6-249 , #6-250 , #6-253 , were self loading preloading trailers with the winch mounted in the top of the water tank . Not sure which other BCFP trucks had winch mounted in water tank .
camptramp 6-230 Still above ground last year 6-231 ??? 6-232 is at Cameron Shop as a lowbed truck for Mt Sicker Logging 6-233 and 6-234 were both cut up at Messachie Lake by Hayes Forest Services. I have 234's cab!! 6-235 ??? 6-236 is a sandtruck down with us in Sarita 6-237 ???? 6-238 is in Powell River and still being used. Don't know where 6-243 and 6-244 are. 6-249 and 6-250 were Caycuse truck's. 6-249 and 6-253 went to the QC Islands and are still there last time we checked 6-250 is still around and shows up from time to time. I keep track of her. And then as you said the 6-248. These were all pre loads. Are we missing any more???
I was wondering about the Fruit Stand myself....:beatsme Ed
The #6-243 was made into a Rock truck at Nanaimo Lakes went to Auction , I think you have the Cab to the #6-244 .
I do have a number of them for sure. I will post some pictures and see what comes around
HDX I was on your side of the Rock today. Brought one load over and brought one back,that was fair. Someone missed fine print in my new contract. No getting wet! How can anyone miss that?
I Love It Sorry I missed you Will do lunch again when time permits
Very true
What it rains there!
Hayes truck thread was on page two...Can't have that! [video=youtube;ZTwZ8D6QlQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTwZ8D6QlQU[/video]
RCP57 amazing, and what a sound....great! Can I share?
Thanks! Share away! Here's another.... [video=youtube;IH3GCFaZa_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3GCFaZa_M[/video]
Reg, When I saw you had posted on the Hayes page I kind of figured you would be hauling rock or dirt. What great detail, honking before backing up, and the motor sounds strong yet in the truck. Now you are going to have to put a vibrator on the box to shake out the sticky stuff. It looks so darn real.
Thanks Jim! I have thought about the vibrator and made one not to long ago for a conveyor I built. It was really easy so adding one to the truck wouldn't be a big deal. The wife and I went to check out a small lake yesterday that somebody(you know who you are) told us about this past weekend. We were just sitting there enjoying the quiet, cooking some hotdogs when these guys show up...and made our day! [video=youtube;NaQ6OpCBvNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaQ6OpCBvNg[/video]
Reg, Sorry about the invader to your quiet spot by the lake. I have to tell you though I really enjoy the music that the truck was playing, the Jake holding back song is a favorite for me. Makes me jealous of and long to be there again.
Haha, yeah the one driver just wouldn't leave us alone.:lmao:lmao:tong Of course we may have talked his ear off and not really let him leave.lol When are you coming back Jim?
Reg, I am still hoping to come out in July, have a real big job that we bid on. We won't know for a little while if we get he job, and the most important part if he can get the money to do the job, so we get paid. I need to be riding, that direction as this work stuff is growing old, fast. Sure do miss seeing the beautiful country, and most important the friends I made last year.
Well that sounds good. Hopefully things work out with the job and you can get it done before July. It sucks that work always has to ruin all of our fun.lol
Working on a tearing out a deck, concrete and then building a new deck for a customer. Have a few little jobs to do also, the materials for the deck are over 30K. When it is all done it will be the biggest deck and most expensive I have ever built. The one that may be the big hold up is tearing down a cattle confinement building then rebuilding. It is 250' x 54' I have to do the demo and framing and set materials on for the roof. Only access is from the sides as it has concrete slat floor. Will know in the next week if it is going to happen. Have two smaller building to build out of SIP's, waiting on them to finalize. Gee sure glad I am trying to cut back, if they all happen it will be cold before they are done. Still doesn't keep me from wanting to take off and hopefully spend a few days riding with Steve again, and spend some time with you Reg. The truck show would be a great place to see some of the other people I was lucky enough to meet last year. Yes this work stuff sure cuts into the fun stuff!
It sounds like you may have a full plate and you're already on the way back to the table for seconds Jim! I thought you were semi-retired?lol I believe the truck show is July 18-19 this year. Hopefully you can make it out at some point.
Reg, I have been trying to cut back, and have been not working weekends, except doing my own work. It has been nice to see some of it getting done. Please let me know when the truck show is for sure, as I would like to see that and the people there. I am going to try and get away before the show, if possible and come out there, then head home after the show. The deck is supposed to be done by the 4 th of July, provided the weather straightens out. Lease wise that is what I am aiming for, at this time.
HDX,are you on 2-3 hrs early Monday or stay home? Boys are 2 hrs early on this side.
Back in the day, they called that practice working the 'hoot owl shift' in the summer when humidity was low. And everybody learned to love snoose.
Public event Hey, for your information, the Truck Show at BC Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan, BC, is on July 18 and 19, 2015, Saturday and Sunday. There will be a few Hayes and Pacific trucks at the show. If you bring a truck to display, it's $10 entrance fee for participants ( includes a dash plaque ) For more information contact me, NP-15-A, with a message. This is the ATHS Vancouver Island Chapter's Truck Show. For the general public, admission is with the BC Forest Discovery Centre, but it's a great spot for family and grandkids, to spend time, with the trucks, the train, concession on site, lots of shady spots for a blanket to have a picnic and picnic tables too. Hope you can come. from NP-15-A
Truck Show 2015 Duncan, BC For your eyes to see, Hopefully you can plan to come, bring the family and visit with friends. It'll be a great time riding the train and looking at trucks, especially Hayes Trucks.
Bringing home the Hayes! Won't be ready for ATHS duncan, but might bring the '40 chev out... Always a good time. Anybody have any info on this Hayes? I believe it was called "old number 5" while at Evans Coleman Evans as a cement mixer (cab was used from the Hayes to replace a wrecked mack cab) Would be nice to know it's previous history, Cheers, Matt
Can see through the faded paint on the side of the door, what looks to be "GVW 42000 lbs"
All Quiet on the Hayes thread... At some point in the past, someone has removed the door latch mechanism from the LH door of the Hayes pictured above... anyone have one, know where one is or...? Don't know what years they used them to / from... Many thanks! Matt
I imagine that was just a buyout latch from a vendor. Who the vendor was is anyones guess though.
RCP57,hello Reg. Did you get to Duncan this past weekend? Neighbour, Michael Dean, was there and said that it was a warm one. Only curious,but has anyone heard from Hayesno1? Some of the sites have been very quiet. Will have to shake things up a bit and see what is out there. Camptramp is doing a great job as always so he needs more work. Lol. Take care.
Yes I was there both days Ian. I had hoped to see you there. I guess you were one of the smart ones that stayed home and out of the heat? We had a good spot and were in the shade all day but it was still really hot. By the time I got home each night I was definitely ready for a shower and a nap. I'm not used to that kind of heat.lol
Sorry I misses the show and seeing everyone. I didn't miss the heat thou, as it was in the 90's here with a lot of humidity. We are still getting a lot of rain, making most all the jobs go slower. I am sure it isn't me slowing up. At least your Hayes dump truck was safer this year with me not at the controls.
We did miss you at the show this year Jim! I had too many trucks and not enough capable drivers. There were lots of young ones offering their "skills" but I figured I like building them not repairing them.lol Hurry up and get those jobs done so that you can come out this fall....
Two Hayes trucks up for sale August 7th in. Beaver lodge ab. https://www.rbauction.com/1971-HAYES-HD-TA?invId=4537665&id=ci&auction=BEAVERLODGE-AB-2015604 https://www.rbauction.com/1971-HAYES-CLIPPER-TA?invId=4537666&id=ci&auction=BEAVERLODGE-AB-2015604
the HD sold for $4000.00 the Clipper sold for $7000.00
Is that a fair price for those trucks???
Pretty much in the ball park.
Pretty quiet on this thread lately so I hope you don't mind my miniature contribution... [video=youtube;zQDPGDORTZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQDPGDORTZQ[/video]
I was trying to accomplish some road repairs but it is so dry that the roads have just plain fallen apart. [video=youtube;374cqxgdIBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374cqxgdIBY[/video]
Even in the RC world you have wildlife hazards while on the road.... [video=youtube;duyoQNnfDRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duyoQNnfDRw[/video]
And the last one from today. [video=youtube;JJ3XEoRUdUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3XEoRUdUw[/video]
Looks pretty darn good, the truck motor sounds so real. Glad the animal wasn't driving, as I hate those sluggish drivers, holding up traffic.
Haha, thanks Jim.
Yes Reg,things have been very quiet. Good of you to wake the thread
HDX,how are things going on your latest project?
Things are moving right along on her Ian. Cameron Greider and his son Dylan rode down with me,He is our tire man.We loaded up my pick up with parts,inner tubes and flaps and stuff we would need and drove to Sarita. Reg and Kim came down for moral support and to give us a hand. Was a long day but well worth the effort. She looks much better now. Pulled all 10 tires and repaired them. Was going to change both mufflers but just ran out of time. Lots of time for fine tuning anyway. Will post some pics when I get them. We have decided that she will be painted BCFP Tri Colors once again, She was yellow when new but got the official color paint job later then finally she was painted the Timber Waste orange she is today. Will call Mike Cross and see what we can do, First thing he will say is Teledo Orange,Forest Green and Superior White LOL Tried to come up with a color match for Teledo Orange That is a chore in itself OH Well all in good time No rush
Good news. Has she made the road trip?
Good to hear things are moving along with the old girl. Sure looking forward to some pictures, before and then after. 10 tires would of been quite a days worth of work, getting close to be able to run down the road, yet?
Yes she is mobile and ready to roll. Was going to run her up the other day but it was getting late and what the heck She is fine there for now No rush. Will post pixtures as soon as I can get some good ones. Mind you she does not have a bad side LOL Good to hear from you Jim We all missed you this summer
Did you go from too dry to too wet overnight Steve? Kim took a bunch of pictures of 17 but I took a couple of the other mistress. I will have a look and post them up later maybe.
Reg That sounds great. We got told to come back to work today but we have no wood to load because WFP has been stalling with cutblocks so we only have 5 off- highway trucks running !!! That whole scene is a disaster! Seen as how we got the house torn apart with the reno's I took time off and that kept one other driver working. Maybe tomorrow. BUT I do like my time off also.
Kim thought you perhaps told them that you were "much too busy" to go back to work today.lol That really sucks that so little is happening in the woods though.
While my body is here in Illinois, my mind is out there on the island. I will be back there next year, one way or another. Every job this year has snowballed into, oh while your here can you do this too. Still have the big cattle confinement building to do. Tear down 254' X 54' of building, clean up and rebuild. The worse part is it that there is a manure pit underneath all the slatted floor. I think what I need is Glen with his snorkel boom and grapple. Hoping to lower one end with my excavator, and swing that end over the feed bunks and fence. Then grab the end of the truss with the grapple bucket on my skidsteer, and pull most of it out. Metal roofing, that is rotten along with the rotten lumber and trusses. That is the plan, but I am sure it will need some adjustment, as we go. The only thing holding the posts on one side are the steel pipe fencing, so all those posts have to be held while we remove the pipe fencing that is attached to them. After Steve took me up to get he first load of logs, and seeing the equipment they have. I just know that with a yarder and a snorkel boom the job could be done much easier and faster.
HDX,give a heads up when you bring your next project closer to town. If I am able I would come over and steer Pilot Car
Get in line Ian.lol It's gonna be a parade!
If I apply for Parade Marshall,I will be at head of line,haha
Ah I hadn't thought of that. I would ask to ride shotgun but kim probably already called that.lol
When is this huge event planned???
Will take a couple pics of her tomorrow We gotta go back to work so I will get a few shots of her for you guys. As for her road trip Well im just not sure Will keep all posted
I have one good picture of the new girl but my wife is in the picture and she has no interest in having her picture on the net so.... She took some good ones of 17 though!lol
That's Mr. Steve's truck, isn't it?
Yes H-17 is Steve's truck, and she is a beauty, too!
Nice hayes truck you guys still drive the old beast
Here is the new addition to the family. Originally BCFP, unit #6-246 from Malibu Div.
The mighty 12 V 71.
These two trucks--M&B and BCFP--cross-hauled in the Nitinat together in the 70s and 80s.
I'm posting these because they're Hayes. On the Neva Contracting thread I stated that the unknown/White was in fact a 1940 Hayes. Here are a couple of pictures of a 1940 Hayes just out of the factory.
Two more pictures of a 1940 Hayes.
Bed truck for sale in Fort StJohn BC. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/fort-st-john/73-working-hayes/1097711526
The cab itself does resemble a Corbitt IMO. Was this particular one a military truck? I realize it is not a 6X6, but it still has that look.
Of that there is no doubt.
The newest addition to the fleet looks to be in pretty good condition. Bet that v-12 has a pretty good bark to her when fired up. Sure does look good next to her one day mate, H-17. Thanks for sharing the pictures, much better shape than thought she might be in.
Really good condition. Fenders look like there are no cracks or welds. Bumper not twisted or bent. Brush guard not bent. Steps been repaired? Is she a Preloader? Allison 6 speed,retarder? No Jake? 90,000 rears? Did she ever take a tumble,looks straight. Going to best home in the west!
After seeing it in person last week I would say it is in better condition than most of the other trucks in the yard. Me likey ! It's a shame it isn't a Kenworth though:stirthepot:falldownlaugh .
Vigilant Those were some very unusual cabs. If you look close at the axle caps on the rear ends you can see where there is kind of a tin can affair on the end of each axle This had raised letters on it saying LEYLAND in Script. Hayes at that time because of the war was using British axles in their trucks because Timken and Clark etc were all being used for the war effort and almost impossible to get supplies of. This above truck was ordered by the Department of Defense. So now after looking at these do you believe the truck on the Neva thread is a Hayes???
The #6-246 was new at BCFP Malibu Div , it is a conventional logging truck V-12 Allison with retarter . When it was new there were 2 trucks sent to Malibu #6-245 #6-246 . The #6-246 had a low HP problem from day one , as there was only one yarding side at Malibu , so the #6-245 was the truck that was used daily , #6-246 was used if the #6-245 had a problem or if logging production warranted running 2 trucks . For acouple of years Malibu did run 2 yarding sides so the #6-246 did run full time for those years . When it was transfered to Caycuse the shop crew ( Calvin Oliver ) I think solved the HP problem and the truck ran full time . So the truck has low miles for its age and as far as I know its always had good drivers and never been in a major accident .
Ian She is in pretty darn good condition. The steps are a little off though. BCFP took the steps and moved them to the rear of the running board so the driver had good contact when climbing into the cab, They are right in line with the grab handle. All the factory ones were ahead slightly like on H17. I will get the Cat 980 to tweek it before she leaves Sarita with his fork, also one top step on the water tank ladder (Drivers side top rung is bent up a little) Another little adjustment with the log stacker. She is a conventional. Will install the heavy 1 inch plate to the center section of the front bumper. She did hit something harder than normal and the plate will fix that. Not a lot of the BCFP trucks had the heavy plate on the front bumper ,as you can see in some of the other postings of them, they got well dented from pushing stuff. First things first. Going to put a set of hood skirts back on her. I got the shutters working and freed up but the little air cylinder is leaking so I capped it off till I get time to change it. The inside of the doors were gutted for use on other trucks but I got them all pretty well back together All in all she is coming along very well. She is a nice example of what BCFP Trucks were like and will only get better looking as time goes by. The original serial number plate is missing but maybe it will show up sometime. Will post more pics of her as we are doing stuff on her
Thanks for jumping in Al I will post pictures of her sister 6-245. She has not faired so well im afraid. The shop crew did a great job of fixing her up after the bad accident and if you didn't know what to look for you would never have known what she went through. She was down at Messachie Lake shop for quite some time in the last few years and must have been used as a push truck. I was disappointed when I saw how she was treated, a BCFP driver would never have treated one of their trucks like this. I know it is all cosmetic but it still looks the sh#t's.
HDX: Are you planning on hauling some wood with 246 as well? We would like to see pictures of her loaded up after you get her tuned up.
Of all people, sir, if you say it is a Hayes, a Hayes it is. Immense respect here for you and the other veterans of the Canuck woods. Now that we have a better photo to compare it to, it makes perfect sense. My first wild-assed guess was a Corbitt, and if you are familiar with their produce line, you might see the similarity.
Here is a Corbitt for comparison. Some also had one-piece windshields. They had some real b*****d designs, such as this one:
Our old friend Carl Carlson who was driving this truck , #18 Bill Neil's last HDX Hayes at BCFP Renfrew Div. in the early / mid 1980's has passed away on the evening of August 31, 2015 , RIP old friend .
Sorry to hear that camptramp, I sure enjoyed all his stories he had to tell. RIP
Sorry to hear that Al Was he Wally's brother?
I'm not sure , I'll enquire next time I see his Widow Lorna .
Yea at any meal or mug up at the Cook House was always entertaining when Carl and Bill Neil were swapping story's , Wish I could remember some of them , but I was always laughing to hard to keep track of them . I remember him telling us about buying the property where he and Lorna lived . Seems Carl had been in business for himself Up Coast somewhere's , and hadn't been to successful . He was in to see the bank about a loan to purchase it , the bank manager was checking his credit record and then asked Carl how he had gotten himself into such a financial mess , Carl's answer "Because I've got a good Credit Rating" . He got the money , built the house and lived in it for rest of his years . Some of those characters grew up and worked in some tough times , but by God they had a sense of humor . Carl was in his 90th year and started working in the woods at 14 years old .
HDX, did you change front bumpers on H17 or just cut some pieces off?
We got the front bumper almost back to the way it was when it left the factory. When we were taken over by Hayes Forest and it went to their shop in Duncan to be cloned in the HAYES FOREST SERVICE STYLE the shop crew decided because one of THEIR DRIVERS said all the trucks had to have all the pipe crap welded onto the bumper, They jumped right into it. Nobody even gave a thought to the added weight alone this crap created. OH well not there anymore. We had a contract welder working with us down at Sarita and Matt cut it all off. Man that is one top caliber welder. We were all really peed off when he got laid off. Whoever managed to scoop him up is one very lucky guy. The scrap guys loved it. Now all that is left to do is cut the cable steps off. These ones that HFS welded on are 1 1/4 inch and the original ones were 7/8 cable Guess they figured the average driver weighed in excess of 300 pounds. I made up new ones (4 steps) because I will put the same ones back on 6-246. The holes are still under her bumper where they were originally so it is an easy fix. I wont know about H17 till I grind off the welded plate that holds the cable step now. Im thinkin they plug welded the original holes but I know where they were so no problem Just a time consuming thing. You guys are pretty sharp and don't miss any of the details. I am impressed!!!
Wow...nice score.Truck looks great..I have been on the island working and living out of a hotel for a week and missed all the newest action on the Hayes thread...
This is 6-245, the sister truck to 6-246. Camptramp and I have been talking about it and here she is.
More 6-245.
Blkprince You can see the drivers steps in the second picture. This was a BCFP thing Works very well, also scope out the heavy plate welded onto the center section of the front bumper. I think Mike Cross and the shop crew welded it on there when they were rebuilding her after the accident Also the two flasher's have been removed from the cab roof . If you look close the front fenders are also replacement ones. Unless you really knew what to look for you would never know all the work those guys did to bring her back. Just have to cut off the brush guard and fix the tweeks in it and put rad shutters back on and she would look pretty good again. Im thinking the broken passenger side windshied might have been pushing the lowbed thing
Rob N Fletcher Challenge Canada Caycuse Div. , #40-124 (BCFP #6-245) HDX Hayes rolls into creek on C-5 top of Caycuse Sumit , hard turn right outside of road was old rail road grade built on logs and stumps that gave way .
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Canada Caycuse Div .
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Canada Caycuse Div. ,Using the #16-8 American Log L oader and #52-45 Cypress Grapple Yarder to pull #40-124 out of creek .
Rob N. Fletcher Challenge Canada , Using high drive Cat to tow it down road and Garnett Margetish on #16-8 American Loader , loading broken trailer onto #40-122 HDX Hayes .
Well it was kind of hard to miss that big chuck of stuff hanging out there lol. Do you prefer the setback or set forward front axle? For some reason I never noticed H17 was set forward until parked next to 246.
Are you going to post the follow up pics of her on the lowbed at Caycuse shop. Bill was driving the lowbed about that time .Sure show the guys on here what these old girls can and did go through and yet still come back and carry on. That picture of 40-122 is one of the only ones I have seen with her new F/C number on her Always remember her as 6-242 and being painted yellow. She was sent over to you guys at Renfrew for a while wasn't she? Is that where she got her tri color paint job?
ben46a The set forward front axle makes them ride a little more rough but they still retain the same wheel base I would say they ride "Choppy" compared to the conventionals and set back front axles. Most of the Crown Z Preload trucks came with the set back front axle They were the same style as H17 whereas BCFP used the winch exclusively on all their preloads. Johnny Sawatski demonstrated how theirs worked to me back in 1970 I had never seen anything like it. When he started unloading the trailer I thought OH OH This is not going well and then things started unfolding here and there and a pin here and a strap there. I asked him what the second loader did while all this was happening and he replied They stay well out of the way LOL
Oz Nelson Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Oz just sent me these pictures of #40-124 on lowbed .
HDX frame Recently someone was asking for Pictures of Hayes HDX and Pacific P16 frames. Here is Hayes HDX frame that was cut in half. Holberg, Summer 2005.
That was me......Thanks
HD from RB Farm was sold off and this old HD went too. HD 33 50 s/n 3836 , didn't see the Clipper that was there.
Cam Sold through Hayes Equipment Delivered Dec 14/70 NTC 335 Fuller TO 905-C main and 8341-G aux 10 3/4 inch frame Timken SQDD rears 6.44 ratio Top speed was 61 MPH. Funny enough with all the colors visible on her Yellow Green and a host of others She was painted Guardsman Blue with a White stripe White shutters, wheels Black frame and fuel tank (1 only 65 gal) Came with all Hayes logging equipment Bunk , cabguard, Rider bars etc From the pictures I don't think the passenger side window works very well
Thanks HDX, she does have a few farm fix's done to her, interesting that it was a logger when sold.
Clipper C 35 56 Did come across this Clipper this summer, looks pretty complete, was working in the coal mines but is clean s/n 6063 must be near one of the last ones?
6063 Sold through Hayes Equipment delivered March 4/74 10 3/4 inch frame Timken SSHD rears 5.29 ratio Spicer 1252-A main and 1241 CT aux NTC 350 engineFruehauf 5th wheel Was Vermillion Red when new Funny thing is that she was built at the same time as Trevor Camerons truck was built in the factory Serial numbers are not far apart. Couple numbers that's all. Sorry Cam does not say who bought her new
Again HDX great info, this truck is close by so if the next scratch and win ticket is good I could surprise the wife big time..lol skadill posted a video of that old HDX with the v 12 cummins, could you give us the goods on it too, looks like a 1966? HDX 45-98 s/n 6073042
Skadill Here is the info for you to add to your you tube posting. She is ex MacMillan & Bloedel H08 From Sproat Lake Division Delivered June 23 1966 V12-525-B1 engine Allison CLBT 5960 Trans Shuler front axle (steering) Clark BD 90,000 rear axles When new she was Apache Yellow Top of hood was green and the rad shutters were black 14:00X25 tires. Pretty much a standard M&B ordered logging truck other than the Cummins Engine. Sproat Lake Division had a number of these trucks powered by V12 Cummins engines That is about all there is that might interest you Skadill. Thanks for posting Keep up the good work
Thank you Steve,aluminum fuel tank must have been a years later add to this truck?
Rob N. IPL water truck at Duncan Antique Truck Show 2013 , originally BCFP #213 HDX Hayes , came to Caycuse in mid 1950's with #214 , both were preloaders .
Here's a little update on the mini HD. I am trying to make things a little more scale on this one but it's not always easy to find good pictures or drawings of each part so it becomes a guessing game. I know a trip to Port Alberni would fix a lot of these problems but things just haven't lined up recently to make that happen.LOL Anyway, I started modifying the front end of the frame today so that it looks more like an HD and less like a Tamiya King Hauler. Let me know if you Hayes guys think this is close. I will machine the spring mounts next I guess. Once that is done I will drill some holes and bolt all of the assemblies together. Reg
Close up of stripped Hayes HDX frame- Credit PacificEd for sharing pictures. RCP57; I will return with close up pics of HD frame...
More close up of stripped Hayes HDX frame
More close up of stripped Hayes HDX frame
More close up of stripped Hayes HDX frame
2 retired Hayes WHD dump (coal?) trucks parked somewhere in Nothern BC spring 2008
RCP57; A few shots of left front and cab Mount at rear. I know I got better pics of frame I just have to look through my hide outs
Re. post #1942 at this thread. The owner of the blue HD bed truck for sale in FSJ now used this red HD for spare parts. Pics of her right front frame. Pics were taken in FSJ 2008.
Thanks for the pictures Kim. If you can post some more that would be great. Here's what I got accomplished today.... Not much it would seem but these little 0-80 bolts take a lot of careful measuring, drilling and tapping! Hopefully it's not too far off for looks. I plan to add the other bolts to the outer frame plates but I think I may have extended them a little too far back? A trim maybe in order before drilling and tapping the final holes. It amazes me how many different variations of the trucks there are when you start looking closely at pictures. Little changes here and there to the frames and gusseting. It really makes a guy scratch his head when you are trying to build a model like this. I think I need the real truck in my yard to look at . Strictly for replicating purposes of course....:cool2 I started out with this scrap of 1/2" plate and some small pieces of .050 sheet. and ended up with this...
Some more very fine work and details
Hi Peter, great work, I am very impressed with your work and details. I will look for pics tonight. But here are just some pics of an old HD with an old lowbed. I wonder what happened to her.
Another Hayes HD - a bed truck. It's bed was made of steel rails. HDX; maybe you can add som info..
Peter here are some close up pics of HDX's Hayes WHD - Elk River Timber #26. Pic #1, 3, 4 and 5. Pic 2 is a Hayes HD. I hope these pics can help in your modeling work. Sure I would also like to have a Hayes in scale 1:1 in my backyard.. LOL If I had stayed in BC I am pretty sure I sure I had on. But for now I just have to model them
More pics of HD bed truck
Hayes HD, inside frame rails
Well Peter this will be the last bunch tonight
2 Hayes HDX logging trucks
Well I just found these Peter - please enjoy
Thanks for all the pictures. Great to see more variations just to add a little more confusion inside my head.lol Today's progress. I think they could have cast and machined a real axle faster but no one else in the world will have one of these.lol Manual machining by eye takes some patience but if I had CNC equipment I wouldn't know how to run it anyway! It's far from perfect but looks more authentic than the Tamiya axle. The black axle is the standard Tamiya unit. I used it for a width reference and that's about it. Reg
The work that you do is incredible, the detail is fantastic. Doing it all by eye, and a set of steady hands to create such realistic parts. Heck even the dime looks real. Very very good, Reg.
Haha, thanks Jim! That made me laugh. How are you feeling?
This being in the hospital is a lot like being in the service. Lots of waiting, for the right person to show up. Just had another CT scan, yes confirmed that I do have a brain, thou small. Waiting for the results of the CT scan, then the doctor. If it looks ok i get to go home. Hopefully back to work, while the weather is still nice. Amazing how a bump to your head months ago can change what you had planned to do. Should be able to get back to work next week, hopefully the doctorwill say I can, anyway.
Well I hope everything gets fixed up for you Jim. You need to be 100% for a Canadian road trip in 2016. HDX and I had a good laugh last night as we were chatting. We both figured you were telling the doctors and nurses they had to wait until you finished reading and commenting on the forum here before they could perform the next tests.lol Keep us posted when you have the time.
Well back home, finally. Todays CT scan didn't show anything, so they released me. Never got to see the doctor, as he was in surgery. Just glad it wasn't me that he was operating on. Still little headache but nothing like it was. I have new drugs to help with that, and hopefully the blood will work it's way out and the headaches will be gone. As far as going back to work, it says activity level a tolerable. Going to try doing some therapy over the weekend, waving a stick over the water. Maybe I can catch a few Catfish to eat. Reg, I only made the nurse wait once while I hunted and pecked on my table posting. I have a feeling they were ready to see me leave, thou some do now know what H-17 looks like and a few pictures from Vancouver Island. I will be 100% way before next year, and hope to see the boat of your dad's and learn more about that. Then if Steve will put up with me go for a ride in H-17, and say hi to all of the guys there. I sure missed seeing everyone this year, and all the trucks and beautiful country.
BCFP Malibu Div. Getting things back in lead HDX , tried some old pictures in new scanner , came out pretty good . #6-246 HDX Hayes in better days at Malibu . Getting loaded and leaving landing on top of Malibu over looking Jervis Inlet , elevation around 3500 feet .
BCFP Malibu Div. #6-246 HDX Hayes turning around at bottom of "Big Hill" where there was know way to build a switch back . From top of Malibu (highest landing about 4000 feet) to Salt Water was 14 switch backs and a turn around .
BCFP Malibu Div. #6-246 HDX Hayes dumping into Jervis Inlet at bottom of last switch back , with a "Parbuckle Dump" , 4th picture is looking up hill from dump at shop located on first switch back . Log trucks had to back up hill to shop to turn around after dumping .
Glad to hear your doing better , good luck with the fishing , wish you were out this way , I have some rafters to cut for a shed . LOL
Sorry Reg, I did'nt want to confuse you. I am pretty sure HDX can add some corrections.
Glad to hear you got home Jim and doing okay. Take care and Take a few days off. I speak of experience - I was working 75-80 House a week when suddenly I went down. I hope to come back to BC next year for 3 weeks holidays on The Island
No worries Kim. No confusion. I was just commenting on how many variations there are within the "HD" model. I guess over 15-20+ years they had to make some changes and improvements. I enjoy the pictures even if the truck are slightly different than what I am trying to model after. It's all part of the process!
Kim, maybe we can meet up again on the island next year, I hope to spend a couple weeks or more. I am trying to take it easier. Helped hang some steel on a building for a while, the impact gun driving screws started to make my head hurt after a few hours. On the way home I saw that the 32' pieces of steel that weren't supposed to be here for 2 more weeks was delivered to the jobsite. It is for a church, not a lot of it to do, but going to be a little tough handling. I did take the afternoon off and waved a stick over the waters, of the river. No luck, but was still 1000 times better than being in the horse pistol.
Hi, I'm Toby from UK and am impressed with what you are doing. If the Rolls is the 12.17l C6, later upgraded to the Eagle, then parts should be available in UK. Large numbers of UK vehicles had them, especially in the military until recently. A forum called HMVF (historc military vehicles forum may have someone who can help - type hmvf into google. Toby.
Thanks for the shout. I can think of at least one venerable member here who might be glad to hear this, if he does not already know.
Excellent. In the 1950s, they made about 185hp in Scammell Constructors, and later 220, 290, 305, 350 and 400hp in various Scammell Foden and BR90 vehicles. Hope this help when searching for parts. Incidentally, Scammell was a bit like Hayes, a strong truck, able to take more than its rated load and with a cult following. Toby
HDX,I pulled a load into Toquart Bay 10Kyesterday..on way home I spotted a Hayes HD on side of road in high grass. Think it was for sale but not sure. Kept eyes on road. Any ideas as to who has it?
It's for sale alright. We've been driving by it for the last few months. We haven't stopped to look but I'm pretty sure it says "buy me Ian" at the bottom of the for sale sign.
As Len Burton says"love the humor"
Yes the yellow Hayes is for sale. It belongs to me and my dad we wound up with three Hayes HDs a last year and that's the last one were trying to sell. The form Steve just started the other day has some pictures of the frame and front axle
There you go Ian! You're semi retired and need a project, the truck needs a new home and a restoration! It's a win win!
Hey hey hey,settle down young fellow. I spare drive for 2 outfits now and another asked me to help out this morning. Life will be even shorter if I spend wife's inheritance. Lol
Hi Jamie No the only reason I went out there was to take pictures of the frame "Stiffeners" on that truck It shows the curve on each end as well as depth and the rad sitting in the frame. There is actually 4 different frames there Two are mine one is Jims and of coarse your side shots. The steering axle pictures are of Jims truck
It sounds like you are working more now than when you weren't retired.lol You definitely don't want to make the wife mad by picking up an old dog at the pound. When are you making some time to come down and run some mini equipment?
Not so much a logging truck anymore, but getting closer to being back on the road...
Preload vs. Conventional Hi everyone, just a quick question, what are the advantages and disadvantages on HDX preload trucks vs. conventional trucks?
Are you sure you want to use that handle ???? I mean if you have that name why would you even be asking that question?
Well I'm new to the forum, only somewhat educated on these trucks, wanting to learn more, and that name seemed fitting for someone who is fascinated by these machines.
HDX has 40 plus years experience and knowledge on these trucks. Not right that you are grabbing onto his shirt tail!
I truly am only looking for insite. I mean no disrespect.
I am very sorry this has offended this community. I will be creating a new account with a different name, hopefully I will still be welcome. Again, my apologise. I had no intention to offend you HDX and everyone else.
Hello, I am the newcomer, with a new name. Again I am sorry I offended this community.
OK...lets start over then...Welcome to the forum.Spend some time reading the threads and looking at the thousands of pictures.There was some interesting stuff built here for the westcoast of BC...As far as preloaders go there are a few versions.Aside from the Hayes HDX and the Pacific P-16 there are a few different ways of loading the trailer... As far as Hayes stuff goes..HDX is the man and as you read the threads it will all un fold.. Unlike other forums everyone here is friends ... Don't worry.....your probation will be up soon...
Thank you. I think I'll go ahead and start at the very beginning of this thread.
TSO,I also want to welcome you onboard. Take your time going thru the threads. There is lots to see,read and learn. Our friend,HDX,is chaulk full of knowledge. Been driving the same HDX since brand new 41yrs ago. Enjoy.
TSO Welcome Aboard ... As you said ...Start at the beginning What would you like to know about these trucks? Is it the Hayes you are interested in or ALL the off-highway trucks? KW Pacific CL350 Mack Hayes and of course Challanger. Of the above trucks only the CL350 Mack was never offered or built in the PreLoad configuration. It was a Conventional truck/trailer only. Of the PreLoad style trucks Hayes and Pacific were both about even. The Kenworth style PreLoad was OK but took some getting use to due to the loading procedure involved to load/unload the trailer. (was done outside the truck) whereas the Hayes and Pacific were all interior controlled. Drivers all had their favorite truck model and many a beer was consumed debating who's was superior. Today most of us survivors are just thankful we still have a few of them to drive. These trucks came into being in our lifetime and will go out in our lifetime. It is sad to say that the sun is finally setting on them. The day of the big off-highway trucks has come to a close. I guess I am lucky because I got to meet some of the best drivers in the world through these trucks. Didn't matter what company you drove for--it just didn't matter. We all had the same stories to tell just different road names and driver names. Guys like Blkprince and camptramp as well as 075 Greatwestcam the list goes on. I am humbled that you live so far away and yet chose our profession to become interested in. Let us know how we can help you or explain things for you. ASK AWAY!!!
Question for the drivers..I am much older and wiser than I was during my Pacific years and a little more knowledgeable of "V" engine design over Inline's..I have always been curious about the big KTA's we put in a few P-16's.All trucks like BP's and others are built for specific camps and terrains.Certain people liked certain things..We installed quite a few KTA's over the years. My question is ..were the big KTA's torque monsters compared to the 12V71's.I would imagine they spooled up slower... Just curious of the difference between the inline 6 and the V12 from a drivers point of view..They are very different engines.. This is a popular thread which is why it it posted here..Doesnt matter what truck you drove..
DTGuy,I have not driven one of the big KTAs but close friend drove one brand new in Copper Canyon. H-31. Had rating of 600 hp. He really liked it but took a little getting used to. Part of their haul was across Island Highway of 4 lanes. He would have to start moving on the amber to get everything across. Highways would not extend the lite. Only comment he had on the negative side. I will check with him as I think it had 6 speed Allison and 121 rears.must be some others with knowledge. BP. Also I am sure there were 2 more with KTAs. H46 or 47 and the H-55. I read on a thread that the H-55 went north. Maybe QCI.
Look at this Hayes HDX with some kind of preload 5th Wheel. I think this must have been rebuilt. I don't think this is an original Hayes Construction. I think it was rebuilt to pull a lowbed...
Hayes HDX WFP #2187(Summer 2014) I think that "075" told it would not be scrapped or used for spare parts. Hopefully she is back at Work now.
Hayes HDX Summer 2014
An Hayes WHD - one of my Hayes favorites. Owner Olympic Forest. #sn6728. Look at plate is says WHD 35 110. At door it says WHD-450? How about that HDX?
I couldn't resist to post a few more pics of the WHD dump truck Look how big and wide she is compare to the pickup truck....
Great pictures Kim! The gravel truck would be fun to deliver a load of rock with, well you said one load. Just because this truck hauls 2-3 times as much it is still one load. Would surprise a lot of people. Sure would love to have one of those old trucks to show people around here what a real truck looks like. It makes me feel sick inside to see them sitting there being stripped or scrapped even worse. I know they need parts to keep others running, but still hard to believe that they don't want to have them all operating making money. They might want to phase them out so they can use hi-way trucks, but they still have their place and can do what no hi-way truck could ever endure.
diamondtguy,I forgot to add to Post 2041. All these trucks were Pacifics.
The work begins with a four-wheel reline. Opportunity arose so a few of us flew at it. This is the result. One was straight 91,000 lb. Clark, other three were 90,000 up-dated to 91's. Different seals, wipers, etc. which made it a long process. End result is brakes all done now and she's ready to roll.
Some more...
Here are a couple of pictures I took in Sarita yard. This is the first time that this BCFP truck has been down there. This truck number was 6-245. I posted pictures of her before. The only reason I took these pictures is because #245 and #246 were sister trucks from Malibu Div. Would like to have had a picture of these two sister trucks together but it was not to be.
It looks like you had a good, good day working on the truck. To me every job has to be broken down by bites, knowing you can't do everything at once. It looks like you took a big bite and accomplished quite a bit. So good to see another one in safe hands and getting a start on her road to recovery, and back to all it's glory of when it was new. My hats off to you and your helpers!
HDX,the pics in post 2043 show different style of brush guard. Were these changed over from Pacifics? I guess it would have to be as no others came with it. I think I saw the same thing on H-50,correct?the house was full at the service today man what a turn out.
Ian Those trucks had the brushguard changed probably when they were rebuilt in their shop up there. Would have been a driver/mechanic combo choice to have the brushguard changed to duplicate the Challanger brushguard or like you say the later model Pacific ones It does sure change the head on look of the HDX though Might get some getting use to. Those guys sure did a nice job on the rebuilds when they did them A lot of thought and detail went into them.
First thing that come to my mind when I see that brush guard is Challenger..It does give the truck a different look.. Looks like a productive a good day working on the HDX...Too bad I am on the mainland...I'd be getting dirty with that girl..
And you would be loving every minute of it Cory LOL
HDX,you keep burning candle at both ends and you end up short like me.
We had him out there again yesterday Ian! This time he was playing the role of driving instructor. HDX was nice enough to let us drive his... wait for it... HDX!!!!!!!! Wow, what a great time! My wife was grinning ear to ear once the nerves wore off. I think my wife is a much better driver than me though. I'm always afraid I'm going to break everything if it isn't mine.lol We are both very happy to have been given the opportunity to get behind the wheel and go for a spin. Something neither of us would have ever had happen if it weren't for Steve so thank you my friend... [video=youtube;X-ZnGjrkm34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZnGjrkm34[/video]
That is better than winning the lotto. :bouncegri
HDX has such a gift when it comes to making everyone feel welcome. We first met on the Franklin Mainline almost 35 yrs ago. He was young then and has not changed. Still practices what I call the 3-Cs. Care,Caution and Courtesy!
HDX. Post 827 of BCFP thread shows 40-126 along side H-17. Was this a sister to 40-125? Was your new truck a Preloader first then converted? I see a winch line running down water tank.
looks like fun......
How much was the lotto?lol If the lotto was big enough we could buy Steve a whole bunch of them to teach us with...Oh, and the property he wants...I'd also buy 2 for the wife and I to drive around home. Of course I would need a KW. Yeah he seems to be OK I guess... It was Cory! If you had asked me if I thought I would get a ride in one of these trucks two years ago I would have laughed let alone my wife and I getting to drive one! Who ever thought building a model logging truck would open so many doors with friendly faces on the other side....
The #125 was originally the #6-246 , the sister truck to it is the #124 originally the #6-245 , both trucks were Conventional's and new at BCFP Malibu Div. up Jervis Inlet . The #126 was originally the #6-249 , and was a preloader , and was new at BCFP Caycuse Div.
Blk prince Yes Al pretty well covered it, but it is really a piece of yellow rope hanging down there about where the winch line would be. There is a reach chain on there also to throw over the trailer reach when truck is empty. It will be cut off first chance I get--probably when I change the deck-boards up on top of water tank. Getting new 2X12 one's cut out of yellow cedar. Got the guys to custom cut a set for me out at McLeans Mill last year for H17 and they work really good. The problem with the fir ones is they rot so fast now because of what they are using for lumber so the yellow cedar is a natural fit. I saw what happened to the cab roof of one of the exBCFP trucks that HFS had. Somebody forgot to undo that chain and the shovel operator never gave it a second thought When he went to lift the trailer off the truck the reach would not clear the saddle so he lifted it higher and of coarse the reach tipped down and broke the deck boards and crushed the cab roof. I will just cut it off It was a field modification anyway so not a biggie
That chain was on every BCFP conventional I've had anything to do with , when I was "Second Loader" it was part of my job to climb up on truck to take chain over reach off . Later as a driver I would do it myself . If memory serves me right I think the same driver got two roofs in less than a week ! Was his first name Pat ?
Toby Hird , Butler Bros. Sooke B.C. Toby Hird standing by Bill Neil's "Old Hayes" #2 Sooke 1967 .
I hear you RCP57, I kept asking so many questions HDX said just come see the place. Little did I know I would be riding with him and Goldie. Then the last day when he let me drive H 17 I was like you afraid I might damage it. It became the high lite of my whole trip! Steve has a master degree in the 3 C's for sure. Made me feel like a king!
2 different Hayes HD dump trucks, Summer 2014
Some pics I got from J. G. Brown(sep-2015). This Hayes HD from 1970 is still hauling logs at West coast Haida Gwaii.
Hayes HDX logging trucks. First 4 pics are of one of Dystans(Campbell River) Hayes trucks. Pic 5 is a well known HDX still waiting to be restored.
HDX, after reading through both this thread and the Pacific thread several times, one of my questions still rests with the Preload opposed to Convention trailers. I guess I'm just wanting a drivers opinion on what you guys like and dislike about both Preload and Convention.
TSO,my preference is the Preload. First of all,there is only one turning point. This is where the trailer hooks to the truck at the 5th wheel. With the Conventional,there are 3 turning points. Front bunk on the truck the hook up point for truck and the trailer then the rear trailer bunk. Occasionally one of the bunks may bind and this limits turning on a sharp turn called a switch back. I have had to go pull a truck around a switch back so he can carry on. This was a problem with Kenworths in the camp I hauled in. Just my opinion. With Conventional there was one trailer for each truck whereas a Preloader can drop his trailer and hook to another in a matter of minutes. Then you have to rely on others to do their share of keeping things in good order. HDX knows all about this aspect. Good to hear you are reading the threads
I would go with a preload tso hdx might have better choice its amazing how long the Hayes trucks been around few still working keep sending pictures hdx
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks...es/1120955287?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true For sale in Fort StJohn.
2 of Kip Browns Hayes HDX, Stillwater Summer 2014. It seems both are beeing used for spare. Maybe Unit #10(pic 1&5) will be back - she seems to in okay shape. The other one - preloader - have seen better days.
More of Kip Browns Hayes HDX trucks. Stillwater, Summer 2014
More of Kip Browns Hayes HDX trucks. Stillwater, Summer 2014
TSO, I found to favor the conventional over the preloads as the conventional trailer will track (follow) the tucks wheel track which was good on the switchbacks, and what Blk prince said you keep your trailer so you know how it will perform (brakes, water etc) but do have draw backs, some loader operators would want you to put the bunk pin in when loading on steep hills to keep your bunks straight, if they were turned a bit it would limit your turn in the corners, as to the compensator pin, some times called the compensation pin as many second loaders have had there hand smacked when pulling it out before moving, you knew pretty quick if you forgot to pull it. The preloads that I drove were all Kenworth and rode rougher then the others due to the weight placement farther back, and some times you would get a trailer with a bent reach that would track off to one side, we had Columbia and Pacific trailers, some the legs lifted easy, others took two guys to lift them up and pin them. the trailers with u-bolt attached springs or walking beam seamed to have issues with the u-bolts breaking on a switchback, seen that 3 times, what a job fixing that on the hill at night loaded. The switching trailer part, if set up right worked good, didn't get a beating from the loader man, drop, hook up and go as long as no logs are too close to the water tank, and we would have a loaded trailer sitting at a junction so if you were late leaving the beach and getting back, you could pick up that load and go. I think I'm starting to ramble, it was a long time ago. enough for now Cam
All trus Cam. Also with Conventional,if trailer was down,say for a broken spring truck was down also. I have seen Olsen Boys changing a rear end 20 miles back in bush on a loaded Conventional. Not fun at nite
TSO Sorry it took so long to get back, As said above by two very experienced off highway drivers, Some of the pro's and cons to conventional verses PreLoad trucks. Once again you have to go back to what style truck would best suit your hauling needs. For the big companies like BCFP--CROWN Z and MacMillan & Bloedel the PreLoad worked well because it was so versatile. By that I mean if for instance a truck was needed to haul the LowBed to move a machine it was just a matter of pretty well any of your drivers that were LowBed capable to come into camp, Drop his trailer(Loaded or empty) and hook up to the LowBed and he is gone usually in under 15 minutes (have to stand the load up on its legs and then check the tires on the lowbed then take off. This was a common practice because if something happened and you needed a cat or a log loader to pull a truck or machine out of a pickle you had everything you needed right there. Usually every camp had a couple drivers that could drive the lowbed. At Franklin we had one driver pretty well steady moving grade and logging equipment. However if there was no moves to be made he would grab his PreLoad trailer (just like Blkprince use to do) and haul logs wherever he was needed. Roads were built a lot better back then to compensate for the preload trailer track-out (they track like a lowbed unlike the conventional that will track true to the truck) Lots of new drivers to a preload truck have been bit in the bum by cutting a corner and the trailer being sucked off the road. BCFP was one of the first to convert over to the self loading style trailers. Prior to that the preload trucks had to have their trailers lifted off at the loading side and reloaded onto the truck at the log dump. BCFP used a winch mounted down between the frame rails and a block (pulley) welded to the top rear of their water tanks and a folding (knuckle type reach) camptramp has posted pics of them loading their trailers. This system worked well for them until the master mechanic decided that it would be just as easy to mount the winch on the top rear of their water tanks thus giving them easier access to the winch and shear pins. Also did away with extra rigging. M&B and Crown Z used a fully hydraulic system involving 3 hydraulic rams One down between the frame rail (same as BCFP) This was a shorter ram and was used to lift the load high enough to let the trailer legs go down and stand the loaded trailer up. This single ram would lift almost any loaded trailer, Also got lowbed drivers out of a pinch when the lowbed bottomed out on the crest of a hill he could simply engage the PTO and lift the 5th wheel up 24 inches. the drivers got very efficient with these trucks. Then on each side of the outer frame rails were mounted two long hydraulic rams that would lift the empty trailer the rest of the way up onto the back of the truck. We have a rear deck assembly that goes right up to the water tank where as BCFP trucks 5th wheel stays down on the frame and the trailer reach does the moving. There is a picture above here showing a truck (posting 2076 picture 2,3,4,and 5) that shows a truck with some kind of goofy reach affair on the back It is not a preload. These were made up by the owner/drivers to enable them to only load/unload the trailer without the assistance of a loader or dump machine. They would go into a camp and maybe the log loader was a small hydraulic machine and was not able to lift the trailer off the truck(60 ton trailer weighs 11 tons empty) on steep grades and at the dump they use a wheel loader or a jill poke parbuckle machine to push the load off. Reason being there is so many small size cut blocks available now they go in and will be finished in a couple weeks so why go to the expense of building a dump and permanent big buck device. That system has a cargo type winch down between the frame rails same as the BCFP old style had. Only loads/unloads the trailer. On posting 2078 picture #3 it shows the last BCFP Hayes PreLoad truck still hauling logs. She is /was 6-238 from Renfrew Division. The Brown family bought her at a RB Auction many years ago and has used her very well and seems to look after her just fine! Sorry for the long winded explanation Does it help or just cloud you question? Will take the time to snap a couple pictures of a PreLoad truck unhooking from its load so you can see for yourself what we are talking about. We take for granted that all you guys out there understand what we are talking about but then there is so many missing parts that would better be explained in picture form so we will do that!
I've been tinkering on this again over the last two days. Not a huge amount of progress but some fiddly stuff checked off the list... [video=youtube;0SuHko8nCgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuHko8nCgM[/video]
You have done a nice job ...It looks great...I really like the work on the front fenders..
Reg you do amazing work !
Doing a good job Reg. Thanks for update. We keep watching
Thanks very much guys. I want to make this one a lot more detailed than my own but it can be tricky when the real deal is hours away. I'm not much for measuring and having things completely accurate so this is just "eyeballed scale"lol Hopefully in the end it puts a smile on Jim's face and we can get him over to the dirt pile at shows with it. Once the front half is finished I will be a happy guy. Building the dump box and other details on the back won't be as hard because people generally don't look at that end as much.lol
I made a little more progress after a full day today. Many hours just in the radiator itself. Lots of machining with small cutters and patient hands.lol I ended up making a nice home for the speakers and got some more practice at soldering as well(I need much more lol). [video=youtube;L7I7YJws1xI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7I7YJws1xI[/video]
Reg, you do some down right awesome work. I marvel at how many hours you have to spend to get the details and make your models look so great. Hopefully I will get to haul some dirt this summer, going to try and make the Duncan show. So have a little extra dirt or logs In case I spill some.
I have been reading pretty much all the posts in this thread and the Pacific thread. I hauled just a couple of log loads in 1973 but I was a little nervous. Highway truck with 10' bunks on Butler's main. I ended up in Fort St John moving rigs and often wondered about the big offroad trucks. These two sites kinda fill the need. My Dad, grandfather, uncles and great uncles were involved in logging in the Comox Valley from the 20's to the 60's. Woods Logging and Trucking, W&W Logging, Baysound Logging were some. Uncle Cal had a Mack pulling a lowbed for quite a while. I have some old pictures I will try to find and see how my scanning skills are. Do any of you guys remember CG Graham? I believe Clifford had a few Hayes trucks.
Woodsey,I myself do not know the Graham's. Cousin recently deceased drove for him and another good friend in Nanaimo also drove for him in CZ Courtenay Division. Bob gamble passed earlier this year. Dennis P traveled up and down island with another contract trucker,Bill Drummond.
Thanks for that. Clifford retired to a ranch/farm up in Armstrong and I heard he had his mailbox welded to a pipe that was welded to the bumper of a Hayes.
Another mini update video. [video=youtube;VpxwZS3KapY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpxwZS3KapY[/video]
Thanks HDX, Blk prince, log big, and Greatwestcam, that info definitely clears things up for me.
TSO When I first started working in the "Woods" steel tower yarders set up on large landings were the normal style of logging on the B.C. coast . Where I worked (BCFP Renfrew Div.) 1966 they had 5 preloaders and about 7 conventional's . At that time we use to set up the loader in the landing so 2 trailers could be loaded side by side 1 being loaded as the other trailer was away being dumped . It worked out that 2 preloaders could do the work of 3 conventional's on the average log haul in those day's . In those day's I was on the ground "Chasing & Second loading" working with the preloader drivers at that time Don Wilson , Tony Weber , Waddy Weeks , Loyd Thompson and Kay Peterson the time it took to drop off an empty trailer and hook up to a loaded trailer was very short , I guess I was good at it because I was often on the logging side that was set up for preloading . In a short time the loaded truck would be gone and the empty trailer was being loaded while the log truck was traveling . By the time I started driving logging truck at BCFP Renfrew Div. (1979) there were 14 preloader's and 2 conventional's in the division , as the pay rate was the same for a preloader as driving a conventional , a couple of senior drivers drove the conventional trucks , so most of my time spent driving off highway log trucks was spent on preloader logging trucks . By this time grapple yarders were replacing steel tower yarders , as grapple yarders are more mobile and their landings smaller the traditional use of the preloader changed . As the haul routes got longer empty trailers were left along haul routes , where they could switched during the day as time allowed to keep a truck loading in front of the loaders . A load could be dropped on M/L mid afternoon , the preloader would go back for a late load , then the same preloader could go back in the morning early and pick up the load while a conventional could go to the loader to be loaded first . Other than the off tracking factor on corners , switchbacks and bridge approach's , the biggest challenge was sharing trailers , some guy's were great , but a couple of guy's just wouldn't take care of them and one guy would actually hide a trailer that needed repairs so the cost didn't get charged to his truck .
Very interesting read there Camptramp, glad your sharing your knowledge with is.
These will give you guys something to ponder over the weekend.
Wow HDX, those pics are very interesting specially #1. That truck looks like very close to the Butler and Madill configuration. Was this truck built for logging or for a crane configuration? It got HD fenders but it seems like it only got a semi rear axle!!! Great pictures.
HDX, very interesting. #1 looks to be what ended up with Lampson Crane & Rigging. Used as a heavy haul ballasted prime mover. Have a few pics somewhere, will find & post. Ap40
Hallo all I am reading this treat for a long time now and it is grate to get all that interesting information about these trucks. There were some posts about the steering system for HD and HDX trucks. But what about the steering system for the Clipper 100 is it the same one? Or totally different? So long Arnd
Update on #246: All the Hayes came with these green interior visors. Most were broken or removed. I rebuilt this one and this is the way they were and how they were installed.
Some years back, a couple of us went up island to Crown Z's shop at Telegraph Cove. It was being cleaned out and in the scrap pile I managed to dig out a set of bashed up side panels. I brought them home and stuffed them away. I stumbled on them last week and got to thinking maybe...just maybe. The right hand side one won't fit until I reroute the air tubes for the air cleaner. This is how they look just in case you're looking at the cut out piece and wondering.
Interesting....I did not know the side panels were attached to the hood.Is it just a piano hinge of sort with a removable hinge pin..Are those side panels aluminum.???Air cleaner piping looks fairly straight forward to re route
Cool....I like details like that..Tell me about the rad cap.
HDX, getting a few things done to her is always good. I just can't believe the difference the side covers make on the truck. Sure cleans it up and makes for a much better looking truck.
HDX,is she still done at Sarita?
Cory The side panel piano hinge's were all the same. The problem is that the hinge would never fit onto another hood due to where the hinge was cut off. What you have to do is measure the half on the hood and then the half on the skirt to see where each ended. If out more than an inch it gets too much. There is a lot of filing involved to get them to fit each side. If worst comes to worst you drill the rivets out of the side panel where the hinge is and move it either back or forward. Then vise grip the hinge back on the panel where it should fit and start drilling new holes. I would use the existing holes in the panel so as to keep the number of holes to a minimum. The hard part is finding the rivets to put them back to somewhat what they looked like prior to the adjustment Both of these are out a little but still close enough to keep me happy for now When I finally find a good source for rivets I will make new panels for both side and yes they were aluminum from new. Steel ones tend to crack around the rivets and are just too heavy. That is what happened to my HD so she got new aluminum ones made for her. The rad cap will be changed today It has been drilled and tapped for a gauge so the driver could see how much pressure was building up in the rad as the water temp gets up to operating temp and above. As you know the air pressure will build between cold and hot temps with expansion. If for any reason the little 7 lb pressure relief valve failed the pressure will build and eventually will cause the rad core to start leaking. I have one on the 17 mounted on top of the "Murphy Switchgauge" If it gets above 10 lbs I will stop and undo the rad cap enough to bleed off some of the pressure. Then that night either change or fix the valve. They have been known to stick also. The gauge don't lie!!! Still far away Ian Soon though VERY SOON
I know you are going to ask---I don't know why the cut out piece on the plate behind the headlight on the drivers side. the plate was cut and had three bolt holes drilled in it so it could be removed to gain access to the front compressor. Maybe it was just to try and reduce the truck weight by removing steel where ever possible. A constant source of conversation never the less
Oz Nelson , BCFP Caycuse , #6-251 HDX Hayes , Calvin and Mike were reluctant to put side panels back on, but finally did until engine was rebuilt with twin turbos ,
Al That is really nice. What happened to all the hood skirts. Probably taken off and stuffed up in the rafters of the shop Then when the end came FOOF into the old scrap bin!!! I can only imagine that some were still in new condition. Looking at 251 it dawned on me that the cut out part of that front plate was where the side panel hold down rubber thingie was bolted to. Makes sense to just cut the whole thingie off rather than just unbolt it!! After all they were two huge 1/4 inch bolts holding it on LOL
I can see the fitting nightmare with the hinges.They would have been hand built as assemblys and hinge location and starting point would vary from pc to pc...Taking a panel from one truck and trying to fit it to another could be a bit of a event.. cant imagine the horror the guy went through trying to deal with 1/4 inch bolts in a open area such as that..Just the stress alone of trying to get a 24"pipe wrench on it must have been horrific...
They're finally both on. Much fitting and fine-tuning. These will stay on for now and will become the templates for the new ones when I get them made. They don't quite fit right--the left-hand one is an inch and a half further back than it should be and the right-hand one is about an inch and a half ahead of where it should be. New ones will be adjusted accordingly.
Somebody got wild with the rattle cans! Looks good!
Have to get the numbers done for the brush-guard so she can finally get her identity back. See what happens when we get too much time off!!! Heard we just might get a LOT OF TIME OFF NOW.
Looks good...I really like the mirrors :drinkup..Do you have a picture or something of the rivets you need for the side panels..
Lookie good, still can't believe what a difference the side panels make. Enjoy seeing the improvements thanks for sharing them with us.
HDX,what is the history on the little Hayes next door. No Jim's but did he own it at one time?
Hmmm...this one?
I was hoping you would have won the powerball lotto and bought the Cameron shop... Oh well, Lotto Max is 50 million this week. A far cry from 1.5 billion US but still enough to buy a bigger yard somewhere. You need it!lol
HDX,I was asking about the gravel truck. Was it Jim's or is there more history to this one?
Blkprince I know what you meant I thought I would wing that one in there. Jim bought the sister truck to that one They were originally owned by Parker Bros of Parksville. They had a number of Hayes's and were very well maintained and looked after. They suffered the same fate as everybody else - More on-highway work, Companies don't want to pay for a bigger dump truck now,He used his for a number of years and after much deliberation let her go. Industry is crashing down around us and he decided it was time to let somebody else enjoy her. That truck pictured works out where we work sometimes. There is not a lot of call for the 46-40 trucks anymore Industry wants all wiggly trucks now.
You were fishing but got no bites. You'll have to use a bigger lure next time I guess.lol
Are H86 and H28 still around
https://youtu.be/4kRfRwJGZI0
Cool video Could not help but notice the other vid's on there There is an orange HDX there hauling(LT 05) down a spur in the winter Going slow No Water on the brakes due to cold That truck is ex BCFP 6-251from Caycuse !!! She was sold at auction and went to Pope and Talbot at MidWay to be used around their mill yard. Was sold later to Olsen's . You can tell by the horn on the roof She was the only BCFP HDX to have the second horn mounted on the roof In the film you can see where the deck boards were caved in on the drivers side with a long log or one came over the top of the water tank and nailed the boards That would have crushed the other horn when they came down. That is 251 for sure Oz Nelson's truck
Hey Steve if H86and H28 are around I have the original service/parts manuals. H28 looks like it was sold to Chem log div delivered July 5 1971.s#4448 If you want the manuals let me know Walter @ kenworth
Hi Walter Sure do Will hook up with you soon Will drop by while you are at work . H86 was delivered back in 1965 to copper Canyon and H28 was delivered like you say in 71. I was going through my pics and could only find a couple pics Not a lot of pictures of the Canyon Trucks i'm afraid Thanks for the heads up Walter
HDX, here is a couple of pictures of the badges I mentioned to you. I will hang onto them until we come down to Alberni or if you happen to be up this way.
HDX: Thank you to Jim and you for the extensive Hayes tour yesterday. Sure was nice to see all those workhorses together and to meet people who care about them. You two could write the Wikipedia entry for the off-highway trucks topic. DBDLS
I have finally been able to breath a tiny bit of life into this. [video=youtube;pa418nXG9f8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa418nXG9f8[/video]
Reg, The dump truck is starting to take shape, you amaze me with all the fine detail work you do!
Thanks Jim. I'm very happy to see something move on it's own! I have been busy building end dump trailers and dump boxes so this poor truck always gets left on the shelf. It's nice to take some time and just work on it. I am hoping that in the next bit I will be caught up enough on this other stuff that I can spend a week or two straight working on this and get it driving around. The rest will be relatively easy after that. It's not Hayes related so I won't post too many boring pictures but here is a trailer I sent out yesterday. It's the first 1/4 round I've built but it turned pretty well. The tarp is driven by electric motor and functions via remote just like the dump. The guy I built it for will add the tail lights and some other details once he gets it. He has built a Pete to tow it and the pair will resemble his real 1:1 truck and trailer that he drives for work. Reg
Excellent work as usual Reg!
Wow Reg great looking trailer, bet the new owner will have a smile ear to ear for a long time.
Thanks guys. Building the trailers has pretty much kept me working steady since last fall so it has been good. Each one is always a little different so they never seem to come together as quickly as I'd like but that also keeps it more interesting. I guess as long as people keep wanting to buy them I have to keep building them! I'm happy to take their money!lol
RCP57,very sharp. Do you have your own decal that you put on units?
How come you're up at 3:30am?lol Thanks Ian. Yes, if you look at the front and back of the trailer you can see "RCP's" and not so clear on the sides(center) there are other ones that say "RCP's scale models and accessories" in an oval. I don't normally put the oval decals on but because we were modeling from a Mac trailer and they have their logo there I did the same. Some guys peel them off and others leave them on. I stamp some parts underneath too but that is mostly out of sight.
Reg,very common to be up at 3:00 to answer all of old timer decease. Stayed up and went to coffee at 5:00. Oh the joy
Haha, well I normally end up doing the same thing but this morning I made til 4am! Usually my timer goes off between 1-3am. I wouldn't consider myself to be old yet but I do seem to be prepping early.lol We used to get excited about staying up all night and having fun. Now we just wish for a decent nights sleep.lol
HDX, Going thru my collection of stuff, I found a newspaper clipping of a Hayes HDX logging truck on a flatcar going to Montreal as part of the western exhibit for expo 67, Do you know what happened to this truck?. If you do not have this clip, I can send it to you. Ken
Hi Ken Yes that truck was obtained by a guy in qualicum and he got Bruce Adams to restore it for him. I heard it might be in port alberni heritage center. don't know . Thanks for the offer though. In the pictures it would have been Yellow with green top of hood. When expo 67 ended and the truck came back to HAYES it was put up on the order's to fill list and as things went M&B wanted a truck with all the same spec's as that was so it was repainted red and white and sent to Copper Canyon Division. Sometime later it was involved in a bad accident and was taken back to the Hayes factory and rebuilt. It had some of the stuff deleted off it that was on it while at expo. Was later vandalized while parked in the woods one weekend callingtheshop could fill in those gaps because he told me about it after it happened. When it was retired from hauling logs it went over to Shawnigan Division as a fire tanker
Work is progressing on the old girl. She has all her identity numbers back where they should be and a new steering wheel to boot.
"I need logs"
Down to machine shop when it opens tomorrow for more "fine tuning stuff" Next thing on the list is to fix that cut out on the plate between the rad and the fender. Funny how something like that will bother you. That is for another day though.
Looks good Steve! You might have to put her to work, you know she wants to! LOL Doug
Looking good....she even has a stereo with knobs...
One of the "Perks" of working close to town , it definitely wasn't a factory option and more often than not the Radio Reception wasn't all that great .
Nice keep doing those little things that make all the difference in the world when it is all done, HDX. You will be out cruising listening to the tunes, one day with her.
Sorry you guys Radio was a driver installed "option" Will be coming out. I don't even think it works If in fact a radio type devise was to be eventually re-installed it would be a satellite radio--One that only gets "Old Country music" Little George Jones and Kitty Wells stuff maybe Everly Bros little of the Orbison you know the drill
No Patsy?
Hmm.....must be AM radio stuff
lol
HDX,at 2:00 pm today I passed a lowbed headed north at Cassidy. On the back was H-150. HDX Conventional. Any idea of her destination?
Parksville!!!! H159 P16 orange Pacific went there on Friday They are stashing them in the industrial complex across the highway from Tigh Na Mara on that road that runs parallel to the highway Moh Creek's old yard There is a sandblasting place in there also From what I can gather this will be where they all end up for now till they are re-sold
Only two left at Cameron Yard Imagine by tomorrow they will be gone also. OH well It sure was a good ride while it lasted. Go to Parksville and check them out If they are bringing all the ones from Chemainus also there will be 17 of them This will be the last chance for anybody to see this number of off highway trucks in one place ever again. H143 P16 conventional H144 HDX Conventional H145 P16 Conventional H146 P16 Conventional H147 P16 conventional H148 HDX Conventional H150 HDX Conventional H151 HDX Conventional H152 P16 Conventional H153 P16 Conventional H156 P16 PreLoad Winch truck H157 P16 Conventional H159 P16 PreLoad Winch Truck H160 P16 PreLoad Winch Truck H164 P16 PreLoad H165 P16 PreLoad H212 P16 PreLoad Then there is still two to come at the termination of IPL contract They are H14 P16 PreLoad H119 P16 PreLoad And that is the lot of them
So incredibly lame! I am so lucky to have been raised by parents that took me out to see this kind of stuff when I was little and things were still going strong. All of the things that built this province are dead and gone now. The yuppies have won... I guess I will have to build a few more models so that I have something to look at.... Thankfully we know a couple of guys that have some Hayes stuff stashed away where the vultures can't find it.
That is very sad...I may have to make a trip over to Parksville... Now....If I remember my history lesson correctly IPL H-153 is ex M&B H155 and that would mean the last P-16 built is on its way to who knows where... Where is H-17 currently resting ??
diamondtguy Yes H153 Is H155 from the best old days. As you know she came in a package deal of 5 P16's Two Preloads H14 (ex 140) and H139. H14 will end up there eventually. H139 is owned by Dave Dixon if memory serves me right. She is attached to an off highway lowbed. Was in Holberg, but may be down in Jordan River now. As for the conventionals --H138 Lost in the Hayes shuffle at north end of island back in early 2008. Heard at one time she went to Lamar Lake Logging, H153 (H155) went to Parksville yesterday H157 (H153) will, if not already be there also. Both these trucks are easily identifiable by their front bumpers They have a steel plate welded across the two push blocks and it is boxed in. All of them kind of look a little run down so to speak. Most times they were really looked after but with all the turmoil of late they got somewhat put on low priority list. I know this is NOT WHAT LYLE WANTED He always liked the equipment to look really "Spiffy" and well looked after. However rates and other unforeseen bad things have taken him down this path. He at one time was taking the trucks down to chemainus and going over them when time permitted, so that they were always there when needed. The condition of the equipment reflects the rates people are expected to work for. I was told that they will all either end up down south of the border as heavy haul trucks or head for the oilfields. I guess it is almost time to write an obituary honoring the OFF-HIGHWAY TRUCKS. camptramp is pretty good with that sort of line. Maybe a nice poem or something. If you go, make sure you make the trip when the gate will be open. There is security there in a trailer. To all you guys out there thinking of a road trip-- Take your camera and enjoy. Please DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO JEOPARDIZE THIS OPORTUNITY!! The fellows working there are top drawer guys been in the industry for many many years. Hughie worked for PACIFIC in Nanaimo a long time ago. As for old 17 Well lets just say she is safe and getting cleaner all the time. NO MORE WASHBOARD or POTHOLES !!! Hard to wait for sunshine.
Hi, Any chance that instead of selling all of them, maybe donate a couple to the forestry museum?? Thanks Doug.
Is the decision to end the use of the off hwy trucks a Island wide one or just specific Companys that are under one umbrella..
Good Morning Doug, I am afraid that it will not happen anymore. Unfortunatly these are a hot commodity right now and word is out that they are available for purchase. The Duncan Forest Museum has even changed its name to be called the "Discovery Center" It is NOT to be called the Forest Museum in todays terminology any longer. This pleases those with no taste for the very industry that made this province. I have not been there since the big name change but it would be interesting to DISCOVER HOW TREES ARE FELLED and to DISCOVER old people that did all this DISCOVERING back before a hand full of people that looked and smelled bad started actually hugging trees.
Cory I just don't know. There are several things that are happening at the same time. With a highway truck you DO NOT HAVE TO WASTE VALUABLE money grading roads because everybody knows that the highway truck has "Air Ride suspension" right So if they ride on air then why do they have to grade the roads. Drivers wont feel the holes or wash board, Just float right over them! Big trucks tend to reflect the road's they haul on. Rough roads wear big trucks out very fast and this drives up the high cost of replacing these parts. A big truck hauls almost three times the load a standard highway truck does Most highway trucks haul about 42 meters per load and the big ones are up in the 100 plus area. BUT it also comes at a higher cost. Tires are really up there. Average off highway tire now is about 2 grand highway tire is about 500 so all these things all add up You are only paying one driver with a big one whereas you have to pay three drivers for every big truck you replace. Yes you can get away with only two drivers and wood the little trucks down with more logs but it will bite you in the rear because the truck was not designed to haul those bigger loads. Some guys will and have hauled overloaded trucks under the guise of "ITS ALL OFF HIGHWAY WORK" so it don't matter, even though the structure of the truck and trailer has been stressed. We don't have to go over the scales. While this is true and there is scales at every dryland , Remember That same truck after hauling all those bigger loads off highway will eventually end up back on the highway and it will be out there hauling on the same roads that your family travels on. Some companies are trying to keep the big ones running and I think they are the smart ones BUT industry wants more versatile hauling methods and unfortunately they control the forest. As with most things - to late they discover what once was and worked is no longer available.
Well said HDX , tough to find a balance between cost and common sense when a Bean Counter in a far off Board Room has signing authority , but its the Truck Driver that has to deal with the DOT at the scales or the long arm of the law or Work Safe B.C. if something goes badly wrong with a truck that's been badly over loaded . I'm working on the Poem .
Al Thank You Very much. Unfortunately I am just starting down the road that you and a lot of other good drivers travelled many years ago. I have known for a long time it was only a matter of when and why but she is here and we will deal with it!!! Have to admit -- Was tough to see them leave. We were lucky I guess because we saw them come in brand new and shiny and saw them all their working years All the different drivers Lots of stories to be told Then they become a distant memory Reflected only in a few scattered pictures. Yes my friend we DID have it pretty good and so did they.
When would be a good time to come to the island to see the last fleet of trucks. Might have to visit the gran kids in Coombs before Easter.
Pat MacMillen Timberwest HBO #40-128 HDX Hayes Loading what looks like Heli Wood , then dumping at Honeymoon Bay DLS .
I went to Google maps and found the yard where the off-highway trucks are at, the yard is located on Industrial Way and Tuan Rd. in Parksville. My self hope to get there some time in March for some pictures and see the last P-16 built. before it leaves to the next owner.
When I posted that there would be 17 Trucks there I forgot that there was an 18th one there It is an HDX with 46-40 rear ends and a dump box on it Sorry Was just going over older pictures of the trucks while they were in Sarita and saw it in there, and knew it was part of the big sale so that makes one more for your viewing pleasure
Bill E. Three new Hayes logging trucks being taken delivery of by owners .
I really like the looks of the last truck..What model would that be.??HD ??
Would have to check with HDX to confirm , but I'm pretty certain its an HD Hayes .
I think i gave the manual for that Mahatta truck to HDX. It was still there in the bone yard in 78 when I started there
Will go through stuff when I get time and see what we can find The picture of DeClarks little HD Hayes sure is a good one He was from Ladysmith and I think he hauled down there for Comox Logging Maybe Blkprince can shed some light on it. It sure shows what the "False Bunk" on the trailer looks like without the trailer bunk on it.
One of our drivers went down to Parksville the other day and checked out the garage sale trucks. I had told him about the other yard because there might be a couple in there also. YUP THERE IS So now you have two places to scope out The first one is where I said it was in that big fenced yard across from the highway(there is also a sandblasting outfit in there) and the other is just a couple blocks back toward Parksville on the other side of the road Same road just the other side There is a shed there that use to have a crane truck parked in it and the yard is for sale or lease You can access both yards from the same road. If you are coming from south take the parksville exit and cross the railroad tracks come to the first light and turn left Go two blocks and turn right follow it down towards the end, Watch on the left for the first yard and then the second yard will be on the right Hard to see due to all the shrubs and stuff growing up. The treasure you seek is there.
OK Unit 2035 Delivered new July 12/56 S/N 6061754 Cummins supercharged 6 cyl engine, 4600 rear diffs, 10:16 ratio, 12:00 x 22 tires and 11 foot Seattle bunks Main trans was 8241 and aux was 8031. Rear dump manifold with stack mounted through the hood . That is her! Will track down the other two as time permits.
The Mahatta truck was an HD 30-70 Sorry forgot to include it The next HD Hayes was Henry DeClarks HD 30-70 It has all the exact same spec's as the Mahatta truck with the exception of the engine DeClarks had a turbo charged cummins and he ordered it with no bunks. Both these trucks came with 25 ton Hayes trailers Both were assembled together in the factory at the same time DeClarks is s/n 6061758 delivered Aug/56
RF Graham C-25-54 Conventional Clipper s/n 6041711 Delivered Aug /56 Willow point Campbell River Cummins NT-B 6 cyl engine 8051 Main and 8031-C aux SRDD rears with 8:31 ratio Does not say anything about having a trailer so I would imagine he already had one for her. OK now I can go do "Stuff"
One more chapter from our book of Knowledge.
H DeClark Well,yes Henry "the Belgium" DeClark was a contractor for Comox Logging. Others were GB Lytton,Roy McCartenay,Ken Thomson,John Loudon,Norman Gilson and Ralph Noye. They worked on Ladysmith Side in summer then drove trucks with trailers down up to Nanaimo Lakes in winter. Then around 1965 Comox went to all Company trucks. Contractors were offered driving jobs at the Lakes. Ralph Noye stayed as contractor as he converted to a "chunk" truck. All these fellows have left us. Only one to keep the truck was Loudon,He sold to Bill Drummond and truck went to Courtenay Division. I guess they are all scrap now. Sad.
Ralph brought his chunk truck to Franklin for a while Was there with Ralph Mowat and John Murray, Henry Bergman, Andy Shyska, D. Nimmo ,Wayne Cathers, BrianShaw , and a host of other salvage truck owners
I was told on Thursday by a mechanic in Gold River for WFP that all except for 4 off highway trucks are going. They are getting more highway trucks as well. He said he thought the trucks would be going to the north end of the island.
OH NO Not you guys also!!! How many do you figure will go??
Try and get pictures or get somebody to get pictures Ralph Seems that once they are gone form wherever they were the next time you see them is on YOU TUBE. I got most of the IPL trucks but thought I would wait for a quiet time on the forum to post them all. If you can get pics that is great If you cant It will work out also
I will see if I can get my contact to take some pictures. I don't know when it's supposed to happen, he had been working on a 850 KW the night before. We went through Parksville today and My wife got some pictures through the fence since it was all locked up. I did manage to get some good pictures of two trucks that were in a separate area. I will post them when we get them on the computer. Saw two low beds but no logging trailers. Were the trailers bought by somebody or are they somewhere else? Oh and gas was .869 in Courtenay today.
This is BS! Does Western Star have stocks in WFP, vice versa or what? Someone trying to encourage some new truck sales? All this just seems silly to me..
RCP 57, I fully agree as do so many others, especially the drivers that have been around a while. I sure don't understand how they can think that high way trucks are going to be able to replace the off high way trucks. I don't see them being able to operate in the conditions, without braking down. I guess time will tell, but I see this as one big sorry mess that they will wish they would of never sold the off high way trucks.
It has less to do with the trucks as it is more about the loads. I work for Western and the focus is now on sorting the wood in the bush. If you can take the pulp, 14" to 23" top saw logs and put them into 40 ton loads and dump them straight into the water you don't have to run them across the sort you save up to $500 a load in sorting costs (and they are looking at other sorts) . You can also take the load off in one bite with the stacker . Also with high value Cedar loads when you unload them with the stacker you have to take two or three bites to get them off ( this happens any time you unload big trucks with the stacker).Every time you push the forks into the load you damage logs and it is this what they are trying to get away from . Most of the operations up here will keep several big trucks hauling along side the highways. Except for Engilewood they never did you big trucks because of the railway. Also the cost of upkeep on the big trucks is rising to the point where they are getting expensive to run even with their larger load capacity . I think it will be a few more years yet until they are all gone but sadly that day is coming. Then they will thought of as we now think of wooden trees , railway logging and steam donkeys.
Maybe if guys like HDX would just take better care of their trucks the maintenance wouldn't be as expensive?:beatsme:tong Judging by the looks of most highway trucks I have seen that will be replacing the off-highways, the maintenance cost is less because there isn't any being done unless the truck cannot move!lol I hate to admit it but some of the reasons for their replacement does make sense in today's world. I just wish today's world was more like 30+ years ago so that the big trucks were still running everywhere.
HD Mech. The trailers are all lined up down in Sarita with the exception of one conventional and three preload trailers in the Cameron yard awaiting a ride to join the trucks. Of the preload trailers in Cameron Yard Two are folding reach trailers and one is ex Crown Z Also of these two are narrow track and one is standard track. There is a side gate to the compound that is/was only dummy locked. Reg It is all OK Things will work out. No matter what happens,I will make sure you always have one of those big ones to look at. You just have to be patient!!!!
Thanks HDX, I thought they might not have made the trip yet. If I remember correctly, the narrow track trailer is a Crown Z one? I thought you had said at one point that Crown Z used them. Any advantage over the standard track?
I think it might have been a trailer tracking out thing Maybe Blkprince could enlighten us It would not be for narrower roads because the trucks are about 12 feet across the rear tires Seems to me that on tight switchbacks the trailer is not as close to the edge as what the standard track trailer was That extra foot made a difference. One of the BCFP folding reach trailers at Cameron has the different style trailer body that normal one's do It is a conventional trailer that was modified to be a preload trailer If needed you could cut off the bunk stops and undue the water/air lines Pull the pin and pull the reach right out of the trailer. Stuff a normal conventional reach back in it and you are done. Somebody was thinking again with this one
When all of these trucks are resold again, is there going to be another auction or will it just be private sales?
HDX the exCZ trailers are simply ancient they are the left overs of an earlier series of truck , when CZ bought new trucks they used old trailers . When BCFP bought new trucks they usually came with 2 new trailers . When BCFP started preloading with the #203 & #212 then #222 , #223 , #225 HDX Hayes , the trailers were quite narrow . The #6-232 , #6-336 , #6-237 , #6-238 , #6-243 , #6-244 HDX Hayes were a little wider track . The #6-260 P16 Pacific came with 2 Pacific trailers with the same track as last Hayes trailers , those trailers were Conventional Trailers with stops on trailer housing so bunk couldn't turn and used as perload trailers . The trailers that came with #6-263 & #6-264 P16 Pacific's came with wide track trailers and bunks welded solid following the #6-264 , several new Pacific preload trailers were purchased to replace the Hayes preload trailers . When the #40-73 P16 Pacific was brought down Island from Courtnay Div. and rebuilt , 1 of the Pacific trailers that came with the #6-260 , was used , the stops on the bunk were removed so the bunk could turn and the shop installed a reach in trailer body , making a Conventional trailer out of it . The #40-73 P16 Pacific was sold to SureSpan Structures truck & trailer .
Here is one of the few pictures of this wonderful guy. This is Geoff Buck, the guy that built the Grizzly pick-ups. He worked for Hayes and ran the dealership here in Port Alberni for quite awhile. This picture was taken at the front of the Hayes dealership here in Port. It is now The Clambucket restaurant, but in 1975 big beautiful things like this could be found there.
H17 perhaps. Any Hayes momentous in the restaurant?
Cool...Is the girl in the pic H-17
I see it. The H-17 even before she hits the dirt
No there isn't any moments in the restaurant. They have changed it so much you could never tell what it use to be
Corey,check the small decal on bottom right corner. Sure looks like "H-17" to these old eyeballs
Well it has michelin XD's, which I believe H17 had new, and it appears set forward as well.
HDX how about a couple pictures of H 17 the day you picked it up. Give us some idea of into the future!
Sorry you guys. Never gave it a second thought. Yes it is H17 prior to delivery at Franklin River. Geoff wanted to have the air window kit installed in her before delivery. We talked and I said no because it was not going to be my truck. The driver in line for it was the very top senior driver that had changed his mind and decided he wanted a preload after all. When she was delivered I was driving the 1966 WHD with the Clark 8 speed auto trans and I really liked that truck so I figured it really didn't matter. Drivers name was Johnny Dojack. I talked to him a couple times and he said he would drive that truck till the dispatchers job came open. Then he would go dispatching and he didn't give a sh## what happened to the truck after that. It did not bother me because that was how things worked back then. Not a biggie. Good old H229 would do just fine. After she was delivered John went over to her and took out the bag of stuff that was in her for the driver: Key fob and some wrench's as well as some Hayes trinkets that Geoff had thrown in. The wrench's had H17 stamped into them I didn't know till later on that Geoff had done that out of his own pocket and had Port Machine do it for him. Anyway after John got anything out of her that he could he walked away from her and said Too much work with those preload trucks , I will keep the one I have. It was the following Monday that Ken Miller, the truck foreman came over and said, Get your stuff out of the 229 and put it in the H17. Then he handed me the cigarette lighter and the keys to her. They have been in a Crown Royal bag on a shelf for all these years and now they will be put back in her. As things go John did stay on H110 till the new P16's with the Cat V12's came new in 78 and he could not resist doing the same thing again. Only this time he drove the H94 from Nanaimo to Franklin River and drove it for a very short time then went dispatching and it was turned over to Luke Weber. He along with another driver got off the Hayes preloads and went on the new P16's. Karl gave up H317 to take H92 and Luke gave up H319 for the H94 and Les Nelson got the third big Pacific H93. Was a very interesting time when all that was happening because there were senior drivers who came back up to Franklin from Cameron Division. AND on top of all this M&B had started Sarita Division as a stand alone Division once again. All the Franklin equipment was split in half . Anything with a black square patch with an "S" on it meant it now belonged to Sarita Division. I had not even really got my stuff out of the 229 and she was being taken to Sarita. Got to admit IT WAS A STRANGE TIME, So now H17 has her original lighter and door keys once again. Now hopefully time will put her back to resemble the above picture. When I look at that picture I can still hear the door close with a thunk. They say time will dull your memories but so far mine are still very crisp, So as time goes by we will post the odd picture as things progress. Call it fate or whatever but I will always remain thankful to John for what he did. Who would have ever thought she would end up like she did 40 years later. When we brought her home I went down and bought a lottery ticket It is still in the cab Never got around to checking it yet LOL Thanks to all of you for the support Steve and H17
When you do restoration,will she have the small H-17 on bottom corner or BIG H-17 on door?
Well Steve...I am 56 and have had my 68 Mustang for almost 40 years now..I still remember seeing it for the first time and I remember telling him I wanted it when he was done with it...Like you I drove it many times before it was actually mine.Not 650,000 miles tho.. I also remember the first time I saw the Diamond T in 1968..That oak lined cab has a smell all its own...Sometimes I just sit in it for the memory trip... These are my children...I see them every day and am still happy they still live at home... I am glad you are in control of H-17's destiny....You have earned it.. She is where she belongs..
Just got a call from my friend in Qualicum....He will be going to both yards tomorrow in Parksville with camera in hand...Hopefully he can get some good pics of the P.O.W. camps......
diamondtguy, you can tell your friend there is a HDX and a P16 in an open area at the north entrance of Industrial Way. It's one way at that end so you have to enter at that end to see those two trucks. The other trucks you can get to from the Nanaimo side or from the north end.
HDX, Steve what an interesting story of how you became the driver of H 17. It would seem that you were made for H 17 and I am sure it is so happy to been your truck from the start. As far as you remembering things, not only on H 17 but so many other trucks, too. Not just who a driver is but how it was equipped and where it has been. You are a walking resource, my friend!
1966 Ad Hayes advertisment
HDX,well today I hauled lumber from Ladysmith to Port Alberni dock. Sitting in your local canal was an ocean going tug. This tug was waiting for a small tug to bring him a log barge. This barge was tied up at the pulp mill. So,because there are not enough wood chips around for the pulp mill,Catalyst has to buy logs on open market to grind into chips. This tug and barge came from USA. Unbelievable.
Will go down in the morning and see if it is still here Maybe get a couple pics of her. Have been really busy doing STUFF. Will post some of the results soon
I have one of Catalyst Croftons feeders at work right now..Its getting its annual rebuild.I have been rebuilding there Stoker feeders for years and building them new Meyer feeders as well..Dont see there stuff as much as I used to tho...
diamondtguy,well what interesting stuff you do. Why do they come to your area. Only ones doing that work?
Catalyst has been sending there feeders to us for as long as I remember.When we were Mountain Mfg we did lots of mill stuff.I was always doing feeders and blowers for someone.Now after the company changed hands and merged with another company I seldom see any mill stuff.Catalyst is my last customer.. New owner is only interested in building vessels for the refinerys.That decision has pretty much killed my job.I seldom have anything interesting to do.. Used to build sand spreader boxes,tow trucks and fifth wheel assemblys for Hercules Equipment..I haven't built anything for Hercules in 4 or 5 years.. Catalyst has 4 stoker feeders.I just disassembled one on Thursday.Hopefully I will see the others soon..
Primered and bolted on new side plates (both sides) and ground old bumper steps off. Reinstalled original style cable steps.
Finally installed new yellow cedar deck boards and added a few goodies to the cab roof. Had to strip out headliner to get at everything and found all kinds of interesting notes and plastic snap-ties that had been stuffed up there over the years.
Looking real good keep it up, will be better than new.
A few more bites out of the things to do, to her list.. While the journey is a long one with each little part installed, fixed, or repaired it is another step closer to having her back to original or better!
What? You were out driving her around without me?lol Looking good! Thanks for posting some pictures of what you've been up to.
Reg Just getting it ready for when I get out there in case they need me to haul a load or two. You could of rode with me yesterday Reg, I came back from Florida yesterday. 1085 miles pulling my trailer with my motorcycle inside. Just love seeing all the road construction reduced lanes for miles and not a piece of equipment with in miles. It is like the signs that say " Hit a worker go to jail" heck I would of had to run into the tavern to hit a worker.
Well done.....she is looking better all the time...
Since Ian was asking what I have been up to and I couldn't reply with a cool response I put a few hours in on the HD today.lol Truthfully, it just seems like every time I think I can spend a solid few days working on it one of my other projects eats up extra time and puts me further behind schedule. I guess I don't estimate the time involved in projects very well but part of my problem is that the longer I look at something the more I see wrong with it and I start redoing things.lol Anyway, I had the springs cut months ago and the trunnion parts machined so I thought I should see about making some U bolts and getting things put together. In order to make the leaves thicker I sheared some strips of styrene and glued one to each leaf. I then made up some U bolts from copper wire and threaded them to fit 2-56 nuts. I also mounted the front fenders using some 0-80 bolts. Next up comes the challenging task of making the rest of the rear suspension. Once the drive line is done I will be a happy guy because I can build the dump bed and other sheet metal stuff...
WOW!!! I am sure Dendoff Springs in Vancouver would be proud
That looks Awesome!
More great looking work Reg, your eye for detail is what makes your work so awesome!
Thanks guys. Going to put a little more time in on it today so we'll see what I can get done.
About three hours worth of machine work netted me these little frame parts today. They started life as a single piece of 1/2"x2"x2 3/8" aluminum flat bar.
Those trucks were bought by Ron Coulson and he has started up a company called Hayes Heavy Hauling. My dad, Hugh Frechette (Hughie to some of you) is there refurbishing these to be sold as heavy haulers, yes he is still working on those big trucks and loving it.
Don't know if this will work but here's a couple of pictures of Dad's pickup beside some of the trucks in the yard.
Yes do stop by, I'm sure he would not mind a few pictures being taken. I know this isn't a Hayes but here's one of the few pic I have.
Boulder Bill , R.G. Daines , Campbell River HDX Hayes
Boulder Bill , HD Hayes
Boulder Bill
We have a brush guard finally.
A couple more frame pieces roughed in. How does this look HDX? Do you think it looks too deep or close enough? It looks a bit odd to me but it may be because none of the other details are bolted on and it is all scuffed up and doesn't match the rest of the frame . The pieces basically double the frame depth and I think that is about right for scale? I can shallow them up if necessary. Reg
Looks good..I like it...Its a shame somebody wrote all over that nice wood table tho...
What gauge aluminum and what alloy are you using..There is a lot of work in that front bumper..
Thanks Cory. The front bumper is .063 and the rest is .050. The bumper wasn't too bad as it's made out of one piece. I made one and after fitting the fenders properly, I wasn't happy with it so I made this one. The other bumper ended up on the front of another project I have(see pic and more graffiti ) so it all worked out well. I did some more work on the Hayes today but haven't taken any pictures yet. The memory card in the camera has almost 2500 pictures on it and now the camera is getting stupid and bogged down so it says there is no card in it half of the time ointhead. Time to replace the card with a fresh one I guess... Edit, I almost forgot... The cab is made out of 1100 grade and the frame, bumper ect is 5052
I have welded 1/16 aluminum before but I cant imagine trying to weld that bumper up..My eyes hurt just thinking about it.... I think my Miller 250 syncrowave would cough and fart being turned down that low.. I know 5052 well.1100 is the soft almost hand bendable grade ???
Because it's made from one piece of sheet there's only 8 small welds in the bumper. Getting the right angles in it to begin with is much worse than welding it in my opinion. I think your welder would do just fine but you would probably need a smaller torch head. Is yours liquid cooled? I'm using a Lincoln Precision 225 which is not nearly as fancy as your Miller but gets the job done on thinner metals quite nicely and I don't know what to do with all of the knobs and switches on yours anyway.lol Someday I would like to get a slightly larger inverter style TIG that has a higher duty cycle when turned up. It's hard to justify spending the money though when I rarely weld anything thicker than 1/8" and when I do it is for personal stuff and not $$$$. Yes, the 1100 grade is very soft. I bought some new partial sheets of 050 1100 from a hydroponics store that had changed owners a couple of years back. It is perfect for the cabs and fenders. I tried to buy more from Metal Supermarkets as I am starting to run low but all I could get was 040. The 040 is just way too soft for anything structural. Hard to believe that 010 would make such a difference. I ordered it to build a U shaped end dump trailer for a guy in the US but after I bent up the tub I could tell it wasn't going to work. I guess in some ways it was realistic because if you dropped a rock in it, it would have dented the tub. I ended up remaking the tub out of 050 5052 like I would normally do but it was a b#tch to bend the tight radius for the corners.
Yes my Miller Tig machine is liquid cooled.Inverter machines are nice but the Miller one was $3000. more.. I made a dozen 4' long torpedos for a movie once out of 1000 series aluminum.Easy to work with and it welded up fine.. Stainless can be the same way...get the wrong grade or thickness and it can be a very long day....
A bit of an update. Muffler, heat shield, fuel tank are roughed in and I got a start on the shutters. I made the back wall of the fuel tank out of 1/8" so that I could machine in the V braces. I then had to machine each end of that panel so that it looked like it was the same thickness as the rest when the side were installed. Lot's of time but that's model building.lol
Sure is looking very good Reg. The hours of work making the parts are what make your trucks look so great.
Thanks Jim. Here's a very small but time consuming addition. I finally finished up the shutters this morning. I started working on them on Sunday morning so it's been a test of my patience:Banghead. I had to make all of the little pieces and then glue them in one at a time with about an hour of cure time between each. Lot's of time spent doing other things and then checking back in on this. It's not perfect but I think it will do. Trying to glue all of them in and keep things straight is very frustrating.lol
Reg, maybe you can skip the glues if you make them open and close. Thou that would raise your blood pressure to a boiling point real fast. They look good, and this may have tried our patience doing what you do has to take loads of patience every day! Oh I bought that broach today, but couldn't figure out how to tow it with my motorcycle, so solid to a gear shop. Sorry maybe next time!
Oh man that looks great Reg! Next thing I know you will have working shutters!
Like this?lol [video=youtube;H2lLCjSkbPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2lLCjSkbPE[/video] I was planning to do something similar on the Hayes but Jim would like an interior in the cab so all of the electronics and battery need to fit under the hood. The KW here uses the entire cab and hood to store that stuff so there's a lot more room for extra goodies. It ends up being a tight squeeze pretty quickly. To fit it all under the hood of my own HD I had to cut up and re-solder a brand new 6 cell "stick pack" battery to make it into a more compact "hump pack". By the time all of the other stuff is in there the hood barely fits.lol
HDX,back somewhere you spoke of window rattle and a fix was snap ties. Would you put in 2 in front and 2 in back on each side? Driving one this week and next. Rattle is irritating. BP
yes Blk prince Keep trying it till you get it where you want it. I never encountered any that were cut that much that it would require that much but give her a try We might have to use a different spacer to shim the window track and then slide the modified snap tie down in there. It is actually the snap tie that lets the window go up and down freely
HDX,with everything moving around. Where did Glen Baird's American loader end up?
L32 is still sitting on Northfork 110. That was almost his last load on a off highway truck. This was to be the last load H17 hauled Sad way to end our hauling fleet. If we go back then he will be loading highway trucks with it. Last I heard western had another burr up their bum and want something like 9 different sorts. Where Glen was loading the road was very narrow and no place to pile the logs the grapple yarder was bringing in.With the big trucks he could keep up and at least keep loading Now with the little trucks and so many sorts he will have to walk up and down the road sorting the wood. Brilliance of the highest order.
From a distance of a couple thousand miles it would seem that Western needs to have someone come out of the ivory tower office into the real world. 9 different sorts sounds like they think the landing is a DLS where many people have room and can do a sort efficiently. Just one more reason for a pencil pusher to come out to the real world and see how crazy that idea and so many others they have really are.
Hey I was watching a youtube video called Coast Gravity Park, a mountain bike place on the sunshine coast, and it looks like they are using an old Hayes gravel truck in one of their jumps, looks like the one pictured in this thread. neat that its still working....sort of.
I went looking for the video you mention, while I couldn't find it I did see another where they appear to have an old Kenworth tied to a stump. On the web there are few photos of some of the equipment and vehicles used to make obstacles - the Hayes can be seen here: http://www.duaneburnett.com/14210/coast-gravity-park-sneak-peek . Here is another shot of it and the Kenworth, farther down the page is a shot of a second Hayes in the background: http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2014/07/17/coast-gravity-park/
Saw these too on the telus channel on optik tv,on a show about the sunshine coast as well,and knew I'd seen them.I've yotubed and photoed all that stuff,including the American Line Loader with the boom dropped down.
Sorry I don't know how to hot link it here, the Youtube video is call "this is a Bikers Paradise - Coast Gravity Park. a few seconds in it shows the Hayes in the back ground. You found some better ones there Scott, thanks skadill I'm sure you have them all on film as they do look familiar, just good to see they are not scrapped....for now.
Received from my friend Shawn, he took these pics. Sorry, I didn't get you a serial number Hank, as no one was there and I don't like opening doors without permission. What I can tell you is it was in the steel mill owner by Cooper Crane Rentals and it was red. It also had Quebec plates on it. Then Sterling Crane bought out Coopers and they also still used it to haul machinery around inside the plant. But then they sold it to Avery and it is still used in the plant, now painted green. It has a V12 Detroit and was recently rebuilt by my dealer...TMS. It's hooked to a King A64 200 ton float.
Do I see a 90,000 # planetary?
I have no idea as my friend is up in northern Ontario trucking for the next 2 weeks I did ask him to see if he could contact the dealer where the engine was rebuilt to get a serial # so one could find out the rest of the story about this Hayes. I am only guessing that it is at least 50 years old.
Duncan Truck Show July 16-17, 2016 Duncan Truck Show, July 16 and 17, 2016 10am to 4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday ~ BC Forest Discovery Centre ~ located on Trans Canada Highway at Drinkwater Road, Duncan, BC. Admission: one ticket good for both days, adult $10, seniors $8, children (ages 3-18) $8, children under 3 free, Those with BCFDC 2016 membership ~ free admission ~ family friendly event with concession available with BBQ, cotton candy and mini donuts Truck entry fee $10 to participate and receive a dash plaque. for more information email [email protected] This event is hosted by the Vancouver Island Chapter of the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society). The Truck Club is open to new members, with and without a truck, check the website. www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com Hope you're able to come and visit. Regards, Cam
Nice truck, that is a Hayes WHD model - 40" wide frame
It would appear to have a offset cab..Is that the norm for a WHD ????
I think I recall HDX saying it was optional on WHDs but centre mount was standard. Hopefully he will chime in.
Looks like it has 3 90,000's and one upgraded to 91,000. Neat old truck. I wonder where she started out at when new?
WHD model had the wide frame to fit the automatic transmission just like WHDX. Both models had 40" wide frames. I can't remember I ever seen a center mounted cab on an WHD model. HDX has posted quite a few pics of HAYES WHD models used by M&B - they have all offset cabs. So I would say most WHD models had offset cabs, but it is not impossible that some WHD models had centermounted cabs as Hayes build what ever the customer wanted. I am sure that HDX can fill in The correct answers. Looking forward to get a serial no so we can get the history of this old nice girl. Over 40 years old and still going strong
This might be more for old iron or for sale sections,but I know theres lots of Hayes guys in here.There a cabover Hayes on craigslist in Mapleridge for 2500.00 .Looks like an ok project for a cabover buff.
WillB took this picture of the rear diff.
The Hayes WHD Model truck was available in either center-mount or off-set cab depending on the customer order and truck application. The off set cab was a preferred model therefore most were built in this configuration. The above truck might have been a logging truck due to the beef'd up rear end housings and also the bulkhead fitting in the rear top left side of the cab. That is where the water tank regulator airline went through to the top of the water tank. There are other definitive features on her also. The chrome handle on the right hand side of the cab would have been taken off the muffler guard when (it) they were removed. If it came with a V12 (as the dual air cleaners indicate) then there would have been two mufflers. As for the location some WHD's in logging came from the factory with one muffler up each side of the water tank and some came with the tandem side by side mufflers. Routing the 4 inch exhaust piping around the Clark automatic trans was one of the reasons.This truck seems to have some kind of steady bearing on the drive shaft indicating that the trans has been replaced with maybe a manual shift trans. As callingtheshop will verify the Shop foreman had a big hand in the layout and building of trucks when they were being spec'd out and ordered. That truck looks familiar, but until the serial number shows up we will remain second guessing.
Thanks for pointing out so many things that many have missed on this mystery truck HDX. Hopefully the serial number will be found and with that the rest of the story of this good looking Hayes truck.
Some Hayes pics I bought at the Hayes 90th anniversary truck show in 2012 I thought I might share them. These are HD models- It seems to me they are CPS(Canadian Puget Sound) units, but I am not sure. Maybe someone can add some information.
2 more Pictures I bougth in 2012. These are Hayes trucks from 40's. Please enjoy.
Great pics. Thanks for sharing them. Greyson
They sure came a long way in a few years. Thanks for sharing them with us!
I was keeping quiet about the many hours I've spent on this leading up to the ATHS show in Duncan knowing that her owner would be there and I wanted it to be a surprise. Now that I got to see the smile on Jim's face I will share my progress here.lol Much more to do but the list is shrinking by the day...
I bet when Jim saw this, the smile went from ear to ear. You are the man Reg, oh so very nice!
Call me crazy, but it would almost be a shame to paint it. Great work!
Thanks Jim. I'm a man but I don't know about being "the man".lol Yes, I think Jim was pretty happy.
Thank you! I agree but in this case it needs to be painted to complete the look. I ended up keeping my small KW unpainted because I was tired of people assuming that all of my trucks are plastic. I am one of very few people working with aluminum like this so I wanted to show it off a bit. Not as an ego thing but just to bring awareness to the fact that even the bodies are metal.
It looks great...Is that for Jim Falconer by chance??
Reg,the people who know you and know your work are well aware that "plastic" is not in your vocabulary
Thanks Cory. Yes it is his truck. Thanks Ian. I actually would like to try to build a body from plastic someday....maybe.lol I know it has it's own challenges so it would be a learning curve for me. For now though, I will keep playing with aluminum as I learn how to work with brass a little more for finer details. This truck would be really hard to give up if it weren't going to such a good home. Reg
Is this one near Chemainus BC now?
I fully agree ben46a. There was a steel company - Edgecomb Steels as I recall - that ran a fleet of Autocars that were made of Stainless steel and NOT painted. But I'm pretty sure Jim wants it painted and it is going to be yellow
Last time I saw her - 2012 or 2014 - was near Chemanius so I guess she is still there. Glad to hear she is still around. She must be saved.
Reg; great work as usual. I wonder about the fishplate frame?
I was sure , had this truck working for me as an onsite water truck in May & June this year, lol, nice to know the history \
Still there. Go up Smiley road to the crossover road and it sits in IPL yard next to gate
Thanks Kim. I don't think the extra deep frame braces were used too often but they were/are on this one. I will post up some pictures later today when I'm finished in the shop and it will make more sense. It's probably not that noticeable but by the end of today I will have another 30+ hrs in the truck since my last update on Wednesday.lol It's a labor of love for sure....
Found this one too from May
This should help to explain the need for the extra frame pieces.
[video=youtube;th2WdZtynT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2WdZtynT8[/video]
Pretty fricken cool......well done
Thanks Cory. She's one of a kind no doubt.
You truly are amazing Reg! I keep thinking that you can't make anything better than the last one. Then you make another and I have to adjust and say this has to be the best yet. You are the man, beautiful job!
Thanks for the kind words Jim. I never thought I would build a truck that was better than my 850 KW but I think this one has surpassed it thanks to more small details. It has been a challenge at times but for the most part it has been fun to put this much time and effort into the little Hayes. I wasn't asked to make it this detailed but sometimes it's hard to stop once you reach a certain point. I just hope the paint turns out OK! It's getting close to needing some... Reg
Received these pictures from Shawn and are a follow up of Post 2255. Used to belong to Cooper Crane Rentals and was red when it came to the steel plant from Quebec.
Hank Cant help but wonder why they went to 16:00X25 tires on the steering axle! It would have had the 14:00 X25 tires on there same as on the rear drivers. Sure makes the front end look small, Nice pictures Thanks for sharing them
To some this is what would be called "a barn find". She's been sitting in this storage facility for twenty-two years always under cover. Ron decided it was time for somebody else to enjoy her. When the new owner found out about her he snapped her up.
HDX,well that is a great start to my day. Have not seen this beauty in awhile. Ron has done a good deed by letting her go to a new home. New owner will enjoy. Is he old enough to handle twin sticks? Lol
Today I will go through my pictures and scan some that will show the rest of her not just the rear most parts. You can see the stacks are really burning clean. Only time there is some smoke is when he would put his foot into it on a hill but then it would clear itself right away This truck is painted in the original Euclid Green paint scheme that was MacMillan Bloedel's Northwest Bay Division colors in 1965 She was one of a 9 truck order Three came with Cummins engines three with Cat engines and three with the GM engines. This is her original unit number. Ron restored her back to original as a tribute truck. Spec's are 8V71 GM 5 Speed main 4 speed aux 46-40 rear ends 12:00X24 tires Top speed was FAST Would cruise along on the freeway at 55 with no problem. She was at the ATHS Convention in 1995 and we all drove down there through Colville / Kettle Falls Washington. When we went over the Sherman Pass there was lots of people giving the thumbs up and waving. Was perhaps the best times of our lives back then. I always remember his three kids all jammed in there having the time of their lives on the way to a parade or show in Campbell River or Duncan "The Family Sedan" Was hard to see him part with her, but like he said , She is going to a really good home and will be treasured forever. Look forward to seeing her at some events on the island again
Some random pictures of Ron and Old 214. Some were taken on the way to Spokane and some on the island. If any interest, I can post pictures of what Ron started with.
A few more.
Lots of interest put them up HDX
For sure we need more.
Did you happen to notice the low number on the Collector Plate???? My LM Mack was B00 556 We got in on the ground floor when they were first coming out. By the way, The new owner was going to see what he could do about keeping the plate with the truck because of the history
I have never seen this beauty for real just pictures but I have all ways thought she is something special with that colour sheme and short I-beam bumper. Looking forward to see her attending shows on The Island in the future. Thanks for sharing pictures and please put some up before Ron started the project. What ever happend with Davi's blue and white Hayes Clipper 100 that went along to the show in Spokane 1995? Sorry I might spell Davi's wrong.
Reg, thanks for pics and videos. Now it makes sense. She is really looking awsome. Keep up your great work.
What a great looking truck that has been well taken care of, over it's life time. Love the back ground of her and sure looking forward to anything more you have to share with us HDX.
Great looking truck...Story's and pics are good...
Sorry it took so long, but here's a couple more. I will check with Ron and maybe borrow his album.
When Ron bought the truck from M&B, he was not allowed to leave it looking like an M&B piece of equipment. That's why the white stripe on the side panel. At least it bought him some time. It was Menzies Bay Div. that paid for the fuel for him to bring it to Campbell River for that parade. It had M&B safety banners displayed on it during the parade. It was Danny Brown, a truck driver at Menzies, that pulled the deal off. It was a great time.
A couple more.
A much younger Vic Laughlin and Ron Blunt when we were installing the turntable. This turntable came off one of the old Franklin HDs--H35.
Very nice....I love big projects with a rewarding ending...I see safety straps on the front axel torque rods.Was this a Hayes thing or someone else's feature...
It was a Hayes part. If for any reason the torque arm bolts broke or the front axle was dislodged they would prevent them from dropping down and "Jill-poking" into the ground. Most of them you see on the trucks today have been badly bent from turning around in tough places and hitting rocks or logs
I think there a cool Idea and I actually did know what they were but its the first time I have ever seen them..Kinda like a driveshaft safety loop on your forward u-joint..Prevents unwanted pole vaulting when you least expect it..
HDX,when is the next truck show in Alberni Valley?
Long weekend I think Going to be in town from what I been told at the old ice arena where the heritage guys are. RCP57 will know for sure because he is coming up with his R/C fleet
Also interested......Time and dates.....I will be there...
I can't say that I know much about what's going on. My buddy Lou seems to have fallen into the position of "contact guy" for the Alberni show so I just wait for him to tell me stuff. I will likely only be there Saturday but I can't say if the other toy guys will be there all weekend or not. I hope to see a bunch of you guys there!
Sept 3&4 Don't know what happened to the 5th but saturday and sunday anyway, Should be a good show with a nice showing of trucks. Was talking to Dave Hooper (Organizer) and he was trying to get a couple 850 KW trucks from town to be there. There is also two challenger trucks here now (ex- mining units ) I don't know much about them or their status but it would be nice to see one of them in attendance.
Jeet Sangara Doman Transport , Jeet tells me these Hayes trucks were all new or near new
camptramp, seeing those Doman trucks reminds me of a guy I worked with, Russ Burrard, told me he was fueling up some old POS truck he was driving when Herbie Doman came up to him and asked if he new any drivers looking for work, Russ asked what he had to drive, Herbie said new Hayes cabover right over there. Russ said he reached in and grabbed his lunch kit and walked over and got in the Hayes, left the fuel nozzle in the tank spout and truck sitting right there.
Very nice picture camptramp The two HD's on the end both came with no power steering, They came with "center-point" steering front hubs. Their numbers were Doman unit's 272 and 273 Truck number 273 was destroyed in a motor vehicle accident in Duncan many years later. Very little was salvaged from her, Her frame was cut off behind the cab and Doman's kept the back end for the rear ends The rest of her was sold to Rich Bennett and he got whatever he could out of her. As for old 272 on July 9th 1992 Sarge Bawa the fellow looking after all their trucks phoned me and said Bring a bag full of money and we will trade! 272 has been replaced by a new Kenworth and we are thinking of putting 272 back to work on other bull cooking jobs, if you changed your mind and don't want her. I was there in two hours with the bag of money. Sarge left the plates on her so I could drive her home to Alberni then when he came up fishing the next week he stopped by and picked them up. Sure was a good bunch of guys there. Sarge made arrangements with Kal Tire to put some tires on her and I paid John from Kal for them because by this time they were not Domans anymore they were Trans Isle Freightways and they didn't own the tires on any of the trucks Kal Tire had the contract to maintain all the tires on all the trucks and trailers for them. Blk prince can fill in some of the details on that because he worked there till he pulled the pin
Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .
When new, these two came with no brush guards due to weight. Both brush guards and power steering were added later. Trans Isle Freightways was a subsidiary of Doman Industries. The paint schemes were changed and these were their new colours. These pictures were taken the day I picked her up.
A couple more.
Anyone checked out Foresteck site lately some new iron on there.
I just had a look at all the trucks..Interesting collection.. I am sure the blue HDX dressed in P-16 clothing has a few storys to tell...Would be interesting to know how it all came to be...
Finally got a chance to get back to this project. Bunk installed and mufflers/exhaust changed.
Looking good....do you have a period correct trailer for her ??
She is looking good! It is amazing how you keep adding this or that and how much better the truck looks. Another one that you have to be proud of. It seems to be all the more important to keep some of these old girls for the next generation to see and hopefully enjoy as much as we do! Thanks for sharing the pictures and updates with us, HDX!!!
She's looking sharp! So how many are you taking to the show?lol
re Edmonton RB auction Sept 2016 I see there is a 6x6 Hayes hd s/n 6023094, I remember these trucks when they were for sale by Catre Equipment in the lower mainland. I remember they had some with cranes and 2 as tractors as well as a 6x6 KW and a 6x6 Pacific. I think they did power line work. I was just wondering if anyone has any history on these trucks or remembers them. I see there is also a hd bed truck on this auction too.
Here are the trucks we found in Campbell River, July 2016.
These are trucks are in WFP's yard in Gold River. The last truck in the line up is a Hayes. Seen July 2016.
Seen during trip to Sunshine Coast, August 2016.
Sunshine Coast Trip, August 2016.
Looks like you had a great trip there Cam
Nice pictures...I actually lived in Gold River twice as a kid circa 67-69..My dad was a foreman at a Gravel crushing plant up there..
Whd 35-110 gravel truck that has the checker plate top cab, old Olympic Forest Products unit, looks like it could haul a good load. s/n 6128
a few more
Maybe not the correct fender to sit it on but cool to see none the less.
Very nice...(both trucks)
RCP make a smaller model for a hood ornament. Great looking both dump trucks!
Reg; both trucks looks outstanding. I guess pics were taken at McLean Truck Show.
I've been working for a locale Excavating Company for a couple of years , I learned a fellow worker Jim Burns use to drive logging truck . Turns out his father was Bob Burns a Log Hauling Contractor here on the coast . Jim has loaned us his logging pictures . #5 HDX Hayes is the logging truck Jim spent a few years driving at Stewardson Inlet .
Jim Burns , #5 Bob Burns Log Hauling Contracting , Stewartson Inlet .
Here is old 272 languishing in the driveway in 1992. Vicki said if it was going to park there, it had to DO something. So it became a giant flower planter.
The first thing done to her was to fix the front bumper. We welded the holes where the fog lights used to be and the only way we could take the twist out of the bumper was to slash each side and pull them back 6 degrees.
We made a new set of fenders and side panels for the hood. Although it does not look like there was anything wrong with them in the pictures, the hood side panels were made of steel and badly cracked. The fenders were rotting from the inside out so the decision made to make new ones. Ross Stevens did all the welding. When Leroy and Barb Ward heard I had begun working on her, they phoned and told me to bring it up to his yard because he was not using the shop for a couple of weeks and I was more than welcome to use it. After I did all the disassembly and sanding and grinding a really good friend, Rex Cook, came and laid the paint job on for me.
A couple more.
HDX...do you still have the truck ??
Sure enjoy reading the history of each truck. Then to see when you repaired and and made it look like new with a much needed paint job so it will look great once again. What motor and rears did it have?
YES Cory and Jim she has an 8V71N engine with a 9513 RTO trans and SSHD rears 5.29 ratio. Some years later I had the opportunity to get rid of the Rubber Block suspension but for whatever reason I did not. You will see those pictures later on. In the above picture where she is sitting on 2X4 blocks - Well that was only till we got the big solid blocks later that night.
It really does look a little scary sitting on those small blocks
That rear suspension must have been fairly new then ???.I noticed the 2x4 jackstands and all so see the truck does not have front brakes.I have much to see next time I come over.Hopefully driving the Grizzly...
Parts or scrap Hope someone can use this stuff or it will probably be scraped. Hayes winch and HD rad.
This is #272 with her new look.
We call her Cinderella and this is why. All the old truck guys in town were getting their trucks ready to go to the ATHS show in Spokane. #272 was still sitting in the driveway holding up flower pots. One night over coffee I decided that maybe it would be a fun trip for me and 272. She definitely needed some magic to be ready in time for the show so Rex Cook and I spent two days painting. I put in another week at home in the driveway. All while I was working driving H-17 every day and spending most of my nights working on finishing touches for the show. The first picture is taken in Manning Park on the way down. The second picture is coming into the Spokane Truck Show. The third picture was the one that coined the phrase "that if you look past the Hayes on the grass you can see the Pacific." Left to right: 272, Ron Blunt's HD Hayes, Vic Laughlin's 1948 Hayes, Vic Rowlinson's 1966 Clipper, and Vic Laughlin's P-9 Pacific.
Jim Burns , Bob Burns Log Hauling Contractor .
HDX...she looks good...Is that the truck that is kept in the garage in the generally vicinity of your homestead.....
Yes Cory. She is nice and dry out of the weather and fully insured all year round.
What a transformation from planter to a beautiful machine in a short time. It looked good then you put the mud flaps and Hayes emblems on her and she became a beauty queen. Just proves what can be done by someone who really cares and has an eye for all the details. Thanks for sharing the transformation, and knowing that it will be around for a long long time!
HDX... I was up in Terrace this week at the Skeena Sawmill operation and while in their boardroom noticed a picture on the wall of a classy looking HDX. The truck is from the Terrace Kitimat area and no one in the Skeena office seemed to know much about it. The only markings on the beauty is K51. Any ideas?
HDX... I used to load lumber on #272 back in the early 80s when I drove forklift at Duke Point sawmill. Back then, the truck was one of the trucks certified to the Teamsters and was not parked in Sarge's in the old Hersey yard. That truck was parked with other (including one of the old Hayes cabovers see Jeet's photo in an earlier post) overnight near where the Seaspan rail barge was moored on the Nanaimo waterfront. Jimmy Mills used to drive #272... Jimmy taught me how to throw a chain over a load of lumber (didn't use straps back then and I can tell you, it was tough for a lowly forklift driver to get those suckers up on top never mind right over). Trucks waiting for loads used to line up on the highway and if I had time once I finished loading a truck, I would sprint out onto the highway and with the drivers permission... bring the next truck around through the yard to the loading area. I can tell you without a doubt that #272 had one of the widest turning radius for a truck and one of the stiffest... took some muscle to even turn that beast. Jimmy usually had a 40' semi-trailer on her and it was a wrestle for me to get her in place without rubbing a lumber pile. Got some good memories of that truck... I always liked that Hayes model... so glad to see that you have her now... and as you say in the follow-up, yup... certainly is a Cinderella!
Try Saunders Hauling have picture of K 50 there. Page 3 topic 38
Thanks Hank. I should have twigged on the Roy Saunders colours... although difficult with a black and white photo. I spent three years in a MB Kennedy Lake Division camp house in Ucluelet and as a 10-12 year old, had my way with the fleet after hours while climbing up, over and under checking them out. I remember really taking a shine to a HD Hayes in the fleet which was very similar to that #272 Hayes that HDX has restored. Probably liked it because I could jimmy the window to climb into the drivers seat. In my mind's eye, I drove that truck all over the MB claim! Lot's of good fun on those mammoth trucks. Most of them were Hayes... I think there were two Pacifics... no Kennys. Yes... that K51 was likely the sister to K50... wonder where K51 is now. Cheers Hank.
mountainskidder Yes she does use up a lot of space in any turn. As for the front steering hubs (Centerpoint steering hubs) That is why they look kind of different, These were installed at the factory to help turning without power steering. She does have the power steering ram on there now but still use's 2 1/2 lanes on a turn.Vic Rowlinson did scrounge up a set of standard hubs but after much talking it was decided to just leave the ones on there alone Gave her identity!!! It gets even better as time went by, Will post more tomorrow nite of her continuing adventures.
Time has a way of changing things. In these pictures you can see a second muffler has been installed and a few more subtle changes. The muffler on the driver's side makes it look balanced. But it sure does create a blind spot. All the name plates were done in a gold plating to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Hayes Trucks. Only 1972 trucks carried the gold ones. The bear on the rad cap was not a stock item. It was something I added. These solid bears were only installed on the Hayes Clippers. They were bolted to the top of the hood. The thing under the bear's paw in the pictures is done in jest. A couple of the pictures were taken in Trans-Isle's (Doman's) yard in Duncan. This was the first time she was back for a visit.
Very nice....now we know where the supply of new Hayes mudflaps went....
No Those were on there from the time the paint job went on back in 95. The other stash is still secure. Yours are awaiting you here. I will post pictures some of the things that had to be replaced and how it was done when I get them scanned. We did the back end out at Vic Rowlinsons place one summer. I will check with him to see if its OK with him to post because sometimes guys don't like pictures of their place on the internet. In the above pictures it looks kind of easy but I spent a week sanding and grinding as well as power wire brushing her before Rex laid the primer and paint on her at Barb and Leroys shop. Interesting to see what happens when you get into the groove and things start to blend
I know...but it was a free shot so I had to take it.I know you have a couple put away for me.. I am very aware of how long things take.Going the extra mile is just what we do...When I did the Diamond T I just gutted it.It was a lot of work/hours and I enjoyed every minute of it..... I salute you and everyone else who does there best to preserve our history..
HDX... wow, I'd wager that #272 is now "better than new". She looks awesome... love the pinstripping... is that gold pinstripping? Who has the steady hand? Did Dave Lashman get a look at it? The guys at Trans-Ilse's shop must have been floored! Nice work!
mountainskidder The air cleaner was changed due to an internal rust issue so it went into the "Bin" Replaced with another period correct Donaldson and the 272 decals were made up in the same format that her original numbers were--only done in gold and installed. I did the pin stripping but it is a fulltime job to maintain it but like the rest of the truck well worth the effort. When we went to visit that day nobody knew we were coming and we were met with a stunned silence. It took a few minutes to sink in that it was in fact their old girl. THEN the fun began and old parts and NOS parts came out of the corners where they had sat unused for years. Window and door regulators that would not fit anything else but the Hayes's along with little treasures. It was a good day believe me.
Sounds like it was a win win they got to see their old truck and you got to bring home a few baskets of goodies. Always good to surprise someone then have them share parts that will come in handy one day. Well done HDX!
Jeet Sangara .
That's a big load...Cedar I assume.....OK some one give me a Hayes lesson.Whats with the headlight boxes...???Post 988 shows them well.I realize normally there is a air cleaner there.Is this a rebuild/refit ???Are they off a different model.... I see where Geoff got the idea for the headlights on the Grizzlys
The headlight boxes are not a stock piece. All the HDX's had a single headlight on either side of the radiator that were mounted to the top of the bumper that had a hoop around the outside of it to protect it to my knowledge. I have seen lots with fog lights added in different areas, inside the radiator guard, bolted to the top of the hoop around the headlights. M&B QCI used to mount one single aircraft landing light in the middle of the radiator guard below the H. A rebuild for sure. One air cleaner would have been mounted to the right of the radiator but was obviously moved to make way for the headlight box.
I believe those are head light boxs off a wide rad HD.
For a short time Kenworth in the early 80's refurbished a few HDX's and sold them. They all had the dual headlights installed from what I remember as well a some other up grades. Not sure how many of these trucks they did, maybe Steve would know. That truck in pic 2375 looks close to one Olympic had at Louise Island that I drove for a sort time.
I just looked at the pics in post 988 and it looks like the same truck..I think I saw pics of a HD with those headlight boxes on it as well.... I am sure HDX will have some facts for us.. Well looking at the pics nearly side by side I am not so sure...Bumper is the same but I don't know how many years there are between the pictures..
Took awhile to find them, but here they are. This is the truck. Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo rebuilt 3 ex-Saunders HDXs.
Campbell River All Trucks. Tom Turner standing beside another quality rebuild. Tom was the go-to guy for anything Hayes.
diamondtguy Yes, you are right, SAME TRUCK Good eye you nailed it !!! As you can see They are NOT HD headlight box's. Pacific had a similar one to the Hayes ones, just a little different. Remember the headlight assy on the P9's They were in box's also. The picture taken with the other trucks was at Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo on their lot for sale
HD Mech, Does this bring back any memories?
Sure does HDX, that picture must have been taken before I was there though since those look like oil bath air cleaners. I remember them putting the silver 71 in and the air cleaners assemblies being changed to larger ones. That would have been around 92 I believe. I saw quite a few loads like that there. Now I'm getting all misty eyed.:crying
Have to question if the same truck in both pictures. Muffler guards are different. Ladder down water tank is different and box is added on second picture. Comments?
I agree Blk prince; even fenders are not the same. I have been wrong before but I dont think it is the same truck. The plate attached to the rad guard at right are not identical either.
Ok!!!!!
I agree , the HDX in posting #2375 and the HDX in 1st picture & 2nd picture posting #2381 could be same truck . Check panel on bottom of grill guard it is level with metal panel on right side of bottom radiator , side brace's for cab guard pigeon roof are diamond shape , ladder on right side water tank look the same could be same truck . HDX in posting #2380 & posting #2382 look to be very similar could be same truck .
Truck in post 2375 and the two pictures I posted last night are the same truck. The hood handle is a single one to open the top section of the hood with drop in side panels The brush guard has two chrome handle's (one on each side) As for the muffler guards, as we all know are a pain in the ### to put back on. The so called new style ones with the wrap around chrome are the worst of all of them I keep the original style HAYES ones on because they are easy to work with and around. I can agree with Bill when he left them leaning against the shop wall after changing the mufflers. You guys are right!!! The truck shown in the later years is close and I wonder if in fact it was not the third truck to be rebuilt. Its hood has two handles on the top section of the hood and the front plate that use to be holding the front air cleaner was cut off slightly different. Flasher units on the cab roof were deleted at some time also and installed out on the mirror brackets. Also the front fenders are different as pointed out As for the truck at Campbell River All-Trucks with Tom Turner It has nothing to do with the other pictures I posted it because, when I found my pictures of the KW rebuilds, I figured it would be a good fit to post to show different rebuilds by different people. Nothing to do with the other pictures. I just didn't look close enough at her to see the finer points and little subtle things I should have! SORRY.
And so you should be! Ha ha. Thanks for all the great postings, no BS. (I just know I'll pay for this one day.)
I found it all rather interesting....I had a look (pictures) at the Pacific P-9 fenders and headlight boxes and they are quite similar to the Grizzly fenders in basic shape and angles... Cheers
Was not trying to smart ass. Just wanted comments to see if someone would notice the changes and note why the steps would have been changed
On the two pics I posted I did notice the ladder,exhaust screens,mirrors and some marker light/signal light differences..I did not catch the grab handle difference on the hood tho. BP...I don't think anyone thought you were being a smart ass.We all saw/noticed different things in the pictures
Hey you guys Its all good We all look at different things and see stuff that others have overlooked or dismissed. Apparently some like me for instance completely missed some things I should'nt have. Will go on flea bay and see if I can find a head mounted thingie like DR Kildare use to have to see the finer things!
Here's another one....found the pic while rereading "Logging Accidents....Quite a few good pics on this accident..So from the info on the headlight boxes that was posted this truck had already been rebuilt before this accident..I didn't read far enough to see if she was rebuilt again..
More recent pictures of the truck pulling the lowbed are on posting 1644 page 110 in this thread. diamondtguy you are right the truck with all the damage was reworked because it already has a P16 cab on it. After this accident I would think that she was parted out due to front rail frame damage. Sure would be interesting to find out for sure. Both trucks were Kwatna Timber.
Hd Maybe HDX can explain the data tag on this HD, s/n 6788. were it has chassis mod # it has 413 stamped in, not the usual HD 35-?? . could not get a close pic as the door handles were missing and a wasp nest was under cab. Don't have any history on it, see Cam (the other one) took some pics of it also this summer.
Cam Only thing in the book is HD 40-78 Went with 40 ton trailer Went to Terrace new as a lot truck so she was spec'd out as such. Near the end there was no record of some of the trucks as well as their build sheets. When time permits I will cross over to the C.O number and backtrack through there and see what I can find Very interesting truck though. The designation 413 was given to the HD Models Could never find out why Was after the take-over by Peterbilt in 1974
Thanks HDX, with it been an original looking data tag was wondering if it was a factory rebuild maybe or something like that. we are still learning here, thanks again.
No You are right on the money The thing is a decal material and glued to the door like you said They still had the brass plate screwed onto the drivers door also though. Good work Cam Keep the pictures trickling in.
I wonder what happened to this truck or what its story is..The engine appears to be fairly new and the diffs are still there..The steering column is gone and the rear springs are gone other than that it just looks like little things ...Just no work for her maybe ??? There's those headlight boxes again....
Somehow I knew I had seen that truck before. It was running for Lineham Logging for some years. I think it was auctioned in 2011. See post#210 on this thread.
Re post#2381 - thank you Steve for posting those pictures. I looked through my Hayes pictures and found several HDX with headligth boxes. But 2 of them got my attention - Steelrock's Unit #4. See post #64 and post #185(Steel Rock comments to my pictures) So at least 1 of the 3 Inland Kenworth rebuilt HDX trucks is still going strong. Look at post #778 on this thread as well. It looks all most identical to Steel Rocks HDX. It got handle on the brush guard as well. These pictures were taken in 2005 so Steel Rock could have aquirred this truck afterwards or it is another of the 3 rebuilt HDX????
Hayes HDX This was in the Madill archive photo collection box i have,picture has same photo company as others on backside.This is for Steve,for some reason he will know something with little to go on here.I have no info on it,but taken by Madill,(009 4 axle yarder in background.
I am sitting at the computer thinking so....While at Pacific we built some very purpose built P-16's.We had the 3 mac blo 3412 powered trucks,the three 12V92TT trucks.Black Princes 16V71 truck..These trucks also had the Cotta aux trans and we built a few other interesting combo's..I am wondering was the order sheet this open on the HDX's.. Were there any (latter day)HDX's purpose built for a particular area,load or terrain that were not your typical 12v71 Allison combo...Were any 16V71's built....I am assuming there were other viable choices in the early 70's other than the 12V71. I am pretty sure we built a 16V71TT P-16 but I don't remember who it was for..
I can only think of the heavy haul trucks that were built. I think they are or were in Spain. 121's in the rear and the picture I've seen shows a 91,000 steering axle. Looks like Cummins V12 for power. They may still be working, HDX would have better knowledge for sure.
I remember Bob Stephens telling me that when he was ordering his last HDX he wanted some big power but not the Cummins at the time, wanted to stay with Detroit, was asking about a 16v-71, Hayes told him they have never done one, but they could if he would pay the extra engineering cost involved. It was more then he want to pay so he took the 12v-71TT option instead.
That was one from left field ! These were THE BIGGEST TRUCKS HAYES BUILT There was two that went to Spain in Oct/73. These were built under the Mack Worldwide name .There was NO HAYES NAME PLATES on them They had MACK on them instead.Anything saying Hayes was removed. They were both LowBed trucks with ballast box's on them. Painted Euclid Green. Shipped overseas from Port of Vancouver and unloaded in Southern England and transferred to another ship for the rest of the trip to Southern Europe. Both were Hayes WHDX's Model 70-170 These two had the Cummin's VTA-1710-C-700 engines , Clark CL 16820-9 Trans and the HM-13-A Shift towers Front Axle Clark FDS 22610 and Mack SWSP -643 rear axles 18.73 ratio. 16:00X25 tires. There were two more that were built under the PACCAR International name in 1975 Shipped from Port of Vancouver direct to Spain June/75 Sold to Transportes Especiales SA. WHDX's also model 70-170 engines were Cummin's VTA 1710-C-700 The rear diffs in these were the Clark BD 121,000--15.267 ratio and front axle was Clark FDS-22710 with 15.033 ratio. Trucks were also painted Euclid Green. I have a ton of pictures of these trucks. A good friend from England was allowed after much talking to actually go over and film one of the moves involving these two trucks. Because they(Arbegui) are now under contract to the Spanish Power and Nuclear Authority (Heavily Restricted) it was a real big thing to let them be part of it. Peter Connock and partner Martin Phippard made a VHS film of the move. It is available through NYNEHEAD BOOKS in the UK. It is called "Seeing Double" by CPP Productions. Don't know if it has been upgraded to DVD now or not, I can email Peter and ask him if required. I will post some pictures of these truck when I get a chance. Funny that this came up because one of the two trucks is or was for sale and try as I might just could not figure out how to get her back here!!!
I will have to read that 6 times to soak it all up but that's kinda/sorta what I wanted to know.Sucks that they took the Hayes name off the trucks... Its also interesting that the trucks were exported.Not that Hayes or Pacific didn't export truck's its that its a I-beam truck.They usually stayed close to home as a logging truck I also see two of them were 6x6.. While I have your attention HDX....were there ever any 16V71 HDX's built. Very cool stuff....Would love to see some pictures... Thanks.... A quick internet check showed me some pics of the 6x6's.They are on Hanks forum..Seen a few of them before but I didn't clue in that they were HDX's not WHD's...Two of them are seriously big.
A couple of pics that Hank R sent me...Don't know if they have been posted before.The one pic sure looks like my local mountains.. Question for HDX...is that a air start tank I see on the right side ??
Yes They had air starters on them.
I see looking at the NFB {National Film Board) web site there are two movies that can be watched Road Of Iron has a Hayes Lawrence forklift. And all in french La coupe du bois en Colombie-Britannique it shows a Mack, Pacific EMOD and a Hayes all early I don't know where taken but somewhere on the coast cool to watch.
Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , These two HDX Hayes were originally BCFP Caycuse trucks the #40-129 was BCFP #6-252 and the #40-128 was BCFP 6-251 .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .CIP Sooke Div.
Boulder Bill
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island Operations, LeMare Lake Logging ,#T-349 HDX Hayes on Rupert Arm M/L . This truck is an ex "Pat Carson Bulldozing" truck .
Been a long winter, and it's only just started.
Where is H-17?
Close VERY CLOSE !!!! Was just going through some more box's to see what there is. Found a ton of pictures I took as we were restoring #26 It was in Dec 2005. Don't know whether to post them or not Seems like forever ago now.
Nice looking truck....cant be yours....The side panels are missing.
Boulder Bill , LeMare Lake Logging , #T-337 HDX Hayes on Rupert Arm M/L .
HDX you post the pictures let us help you decide. I would enjoy seeing the pictures of the rebuilding and learning the history of #26. Whats up with all the white stuff on #26 and the ground?
WFP North Island HDX Hayse on Rupert Arm M L
This truck was rebuilt a few years ago, it is now Yellow with a series 60 in it . The 3408 is gone
Any of these loaded by 075
Is this it during the rebuild?
Looks like her. McNeill shop dose a great job of rebuilding their trucks
Toquart area approx. Sept. 2005. Is this the same H-14 that was being discussed earlier? Maybe this is a Coulson truck?
Same area, truck and timeline.
Well....I guess I need a lesson in truck numbering..This Truck is also H-14 and is also a pre loader but its a P-16.. I don't know anything about how trucks get their assigned number...
Your photo has a way better firewood than the ones I posted.
Callingtheshop The one you posted WAS ex M&B PreLoad unit H88 from Cameron Division. One of four they got in 1974 Swen J got this one new and Jim Miner got H89 George Hertel got H90 and Mark Roche got H91 When they shut down Kennedy Lake a guy named Bob Rogers came and started getting rid of stuff right away. He gave H89 to Walter Miles down at Shawnigan Division. Walter made a Conventional out of her. She was later sold and is still running around Still looks really good This one was barged out of Coleman dump going to R/B Auction in Vancouver . Coulson bought it there. Was in terrible condition when they sold it a couple years ago to another contractor in the valley She was repowered (Maybe N14) and had a RR Trans installed, Never been used yet but maybe someday. The Coulson trucks use to be "A" then the number. Later they started using the H number. Monkey see monkey do!!!!
Boulder Bill WFP North Island , #229 HDX Hayes
Boulder Bill LeMare Lake Logging Port McNeill #T337 and #T338 HDX Hayes .
Camptramp,thanks for taking time to post
Boulder Bill . North Island , Iron River Contracting's #4 HDX Hayes hauling for Lemare Lake Logging on Kokish M/L . Your welcome .
Boulder Bill ,North Island , Iron River Contracting #2 HDX Hayes hauling for Lemare Lake Logging on Kokish M/L
Boulder Bill .WFP North Island , #2229 HDX Hayes on West M/L .
Boulder Bill . I found this picture amongst Bill's collection , it's from a Hayes sales brochure , it's a picture of a WHD Hayes , a new truck with an old trailer . No name on it but I think it was purchased new by Catermolt Tretheuy (spelll?)#221 , bought out by BCFP around 1970 . The 2nd & 3rd picture's is what I think is the same truck painted BCFP colours at NeKite River 1979 with the same trailer .
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island .
Boulder Bill . WFP , North Island Operation . 1st Picture an Ex M&B HDX Hayes with lowbed park in yard . 2nd picture An Ex M&B HDX Hayes leaving yard for the woods . 3rd picture An Ex M&B HDX Hayes in WFP shop being parted out .
Boulder Bill , Lemare Lake Logging , two HDX Hayes's parked in Port McNeill yard .
The HDX in the shop is old H293 from Eve River. It went up to Port McNeill with H87 when they brought in all the leased tri-axle log trucks. It was sitting in the bone yard when I worked in McNeill in 2002.
Boulder Bill WFP North Island , Empty HDX Hayes in operation.
What has happened to these sites?
Camptramp I see you as a new member?
I don't know Blk prince I'm a creature of habit . Don't know if I'm up to figuring out this puzzle factory . Looks like I'll scan pictures and ponder the situation for a bit .
I just found these changes today. I liked the old style better. Maybe I fear change.
I had a reply from Steve Frazier. System had to be upgraded to try eliminate spammers. He understands our concerns. Things will get better
OK Thanks I'll hang back and see what develops .
I think I get some of the "Hang Ups" sorted out Blk prince . Boulder Bill , Lemare Lake Logging , HDX Hayes parked in Port McNeill yard .
real nice HAYES HD S THAT I HAVE SEEN YEARS A GO
Boulder Bill , HDX Hayes with Lowbed , T-Mar Industrial Park Cambell River .
Well at least old 6-238 is slowly making her way back home
Good eye ,when I posted it I was looking at the guard over the winch on top , back of water tank and the extra step on drivers side running board . Just wondering what happened to #6-237 ?
I think old 238 has had a pretty tough life since she left you guys Al! Don't know about 237 Did she have a bunch of stuff welded on the front bumper Was she sold at the R/B auction in chemainus? Remember, I have the cab off one of them and you thought you maybe knew what one it was. Had a 3 inch pipe thing welded to the rear of the cab Some kind of fresh air induction thing when pushing the low bed It did have a set of controls in it for maybe a sander Been a long time since I looked inside It is put away for a future project
Did you happen to notice how high she is sitting on the steering axle? Abnormal!!! Wonder if they stuffed a used set of Pacific P16 springs in there? Remember --they had the "Camel back" style arc to them. That is what Olsen's did with 6-251 and she sits up like that also
When the new highway P510S Pacific's started to arrive at Renfrew Div. , in spring of 1986 the #6-232 was sold to Ted LeRoy the #6-238 was sold to someone on Sunshine Coast , #6-239 went to Elk River Timber , the #6-236 was made into a Sand Truck , but I can't remember where #6-237 went , possibly to ERT with the #6-239 ? I have to take some pictures back to Brian Dickson , I'll make a note to self to ask him . I'm pretty sure you have the cab off the #6-244 .
Boulder Bill , HDX Hayes Rock Truck at an Industrial Park , Campbell River .
OK Thanks Al. The 6-233 was sold to Hayes forest She had two bunks welded on her I think as a chunk truck Ozzie would know 6-232 was sold again after Leroys and Mt Sicker has it, as a low bed truck in alberni behind the Cameron Shop 6-238 went through Franklin on her way to the Coleman Dump to get on a barge to the R/B auction Was sold to Kip Brown over there with the trailer And now she is trying to make her way home again. If I get a chance I will go up and do a photo op on her.
Boulder Bill .
H321 Ex Franklin truck Lee Hutton was her only driver till she was sold to larose Was funny because in his rush to get her out of the Cameron Shop Yard he took the wrong trailer It was kind of a made up one!!! Trailer was a Hayes Trailer with a 14 foot bunk and the front bunk was a Pacific bunk and reach it was 15 feet wide. You can see the difference in this picture LOL Also look at the rear bunk It is HAYES!!!!! Franklin never had any 14 foot pacific trailers and that is X385 new with the Franklin HDX Preload's in 74 Had to laugh because only reason he grabbed that one was it had good tires on it
Were there different king pin dimensions or were the trailers kinda/sorta interchangable
Crown Z used a small one and BCFP used a 3 inch pin and we used the big 3 1/2 inch pin Both the Hayes and Pacific trailers we got all came with the big pins. Our Trucks / trailers in 1974 were all 14 foot bunks and so was the BCFP Caycuse truck's because of the big NitNat Bridge It had gabled sides on it at that time and you could not get 15 foot bunks across it without hitting the sides. Bridge was rebuilt in 76 and did away with the sides, so width did not matter any more. We never had Pacific PreLoad trailer's till we got the three big P16's with the V12's. They came with 6 Pacific 60 ton trailers and 15 foot bunks. When we became IPL we had Crown Z and BCFP trailers so they ended up changing ALL the trailers to the big pin and then putting the big jaws into all the 5th wheel's Was the end of any problems some of the guys were having.
Thanks...that's the answer I was looking for.I am assuming the 3 big P-16's with 2 trailers each were the 3 3412 Cat powered trucks .
Yes they were Cory. After the dust settled and we pretty well stopped pre-loading three of the Pacific trailers were parked because they were not need . Used as spare trailers, so three of us with the Hayes trucks grabbed them. They were a lot better trailers, and in very good shape as opposed to the well worn Hayes trailers. Besides the 15 foot bunks allowed you to haul more wood
Hi all...newby question. But Im just fasinated with these trucks. How many styles of truck did hayes make for off highway hauling? In reading all these posts I see mention of HD and HDX...wre there other configerations? Are there books I can get to learn more about them. Thanks to all of you who put this stuff on here. Learning lots and loving every minute of it!!!! Also , is therea truck show for the 95th yr of hayes trucks? Cheers Steve
Boulder Bill .
tamrock88 you are on page 124 of the book LOL Hayes built a number of different models for the off highway market The HD was the first These came into being in 1952 The first 17 of these trucks built went to MacMillan & Bloedel Then the first HDX in 1954 --The first one built went to Butler Brothers in Sooke BC, then BCFP took delivery of 8 new HDX's also in 1954 Both these model trucks would undergo a number of changes in the 23 years they were built. Hayes introduced an all new truck in 1964 It was called a WHD Hayes and there was another model called a WHDX. For the most part these four models were the main trucks used in the forest industry built by Hayes. Can give more details if required
Boulder Bill . Do'es this HD Hayes look familiar .
That is great Info...thank you HDX!! Looking to learn as much as I can. I wish I had of had the chance to see these trucks in there prime. I moved to island just as the down turn saw most of the south island outfits dissappear. Glad to see some outfits still run them. would if liked the chance to wrench on them too!!! Just plain cool. Thanks again for sharing!
Tamrock88....not up to date with the current status of them but as of a short while ago there was aprox 16 Hayes HDX's and Pacific P-16's sitting in plain view in a compound in Parksville.. The forestry equipment forum will keep you busy reading for a very long time....
Born 2clearcut (Les Way) , These are pictures of what I think is the First HDX Hayes at Sooke B.C. I don't know if Butler Brothers owned it or Bill Neil owned it .
Lol....yep Three full sets of reading in camp and still not all up onit!! Thanks for the info...Ill go check them out on Days off.
Yes That is the first HDX 6-110 GM Engine in it One piece windshield
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Nice load
That old BCFP HDX is still going, Fantastic. Good to see she is still going back and forth
Great pictures,HDX, especially the `oldies' Can hear rumble from that straight pipe. safe t dan-south of menzies
Well it took you long enough Danny !!!! Welcome to the forum, Your input will be much appreciated. Do you still have H113's drivers door?. Last time I saw it was when you had it by the firehall.
Hi; Your friends at `weyco' said `put that door in steel bin' ugh
Did they come all the way up here from Tacoma in a helicopter to make sure it was sanitized. I am sure Bruce would of had no problem with it. Remember Dan "Scorched Earth" anything here before these new outfits has to be burned down or buried. You want to see the carnage over here right now. Cant help but laugh, Another peepot truck rolled over right on the mainline and on the wrong side of the road I might add dodging pot holes. A wastern foreman asked me what I thought caused this horrific accident, I just smiled at him and said "Trip Rate" end of story
"Trip rate". Ouch. Even I felt the pain from that true fact
Heard the contractor peepot was a write off. Every day there is another piece of junk somewhere on the sarita access with a drive shaft puked out. None of them carry flares or anything. just abandon them and hitch hike to town. I'm the only big truck left hauling in Sarita and we have 4 drivers down at the Cameron end .All the rest, along with most of the crew have been at home since Dec 23 2015. Ian I was going to stop and take pictures of some of the carnage but then thought What the hell There will be tons more real soon.
There will be boys in peepots with peepants when they meet you on a corner
Sent you a pm. Cannot tell if it sent
Boulder Bill , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake ex TW #40-127 , ex BCFP #6-250 .
Thanks for the update on how things are running so smooth HDX. It seem to me you told them , and told them that it wouldn't work. Probably to save even more money the graders and their operators are sitting at home, does anyone in the office know that the roads up there aren't paved? Sounds like to me the peepots should be charged with littering. As they used to say on the TV show A Team, I love it when a plan comes together. Maybe there will be enough of the teepot left for the bean counter to heat up his cup of java. Clearly a case of the guy in the big seat with little wheels having control of something other than pen and paper, and wrecking what wasn't ever broken.
Maybe a few of the laid off people should start a scrap yard. Thou a lot of the teepots are HD plastic, and fiberglass.
HDX,there will be more. Look out when one of them meets you on a corner. Peepots driver with peepants
Boulder Bill , Lemare Lake Logging , Empty HDX Hayes #T336 , #T338 & #T349
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island , HDX Hayes
Boulder Bill , 1st picture an X Roy Saunders HDX Hayes working on Alberta oil fields . Ken Dubuc photo .
That Green HDX has a mighty rack for holding the mirrors and a couple of lights.
Blk prince YUP another one went over on tuesday
Sounds like a scrap yard might be a going business to be in, HDX. Scrap in the back, with new Teepots slaes in front. You could call it "Make it or Break it"
Back in the Day when the Forest Industry made the change from the tough equipment of Logging Rail Roads to the not so tough Logging Trucks , there was a saying "There's Nothing A Logger Can't Break" . It took a few years to refine the system , now the Logging Industry of B.C. has let the Haul Roads Go To Hell and there isn't a Logging Road on the West Coast of B.C. that can't break a Highway Logging Truck .
Not much has been happening in the Hayes thread here so I'll post this. I know most of the guys that are interested in this stuff have already seen this on my Facebook/YouTube but there might be one or two of you that still find this entertaining on a rainy Saturday.
Good one Reg, Was just talking about this old girl yesterday to an old friend LOL
Haha. If we ever get some decent weather I'll have to start throwing some paint at this thing. I think it's tired of living life on the shelf in my shop.lol
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
The HDX looks like it has had a recent rebuild and is even wearing her side panels.First thing I notice is the headlight boxes..
The HDX was a kenworth semi-rebuild Cory. The two HD's in the yard were not cut up for scrap. Actually the green one was sold to Richard Neva. It is currently undergoing a total re-build It is now tan color. When he bought it he tore it right down to nothing and started there. The frame for the red one is also still around awaiting future developments.
Posting 2511 first truck HDX Bounty Hunter was Todd and Wayne Pallisters red HDX. The ex M&B red HDX Line horse H26 came from Copper Canyon . Was transferred from the Canyon to Sproat Lake Division That is where Lamare got it at the big Weyco garage sale along with a bunch of other trucks and trailers
Posting 2510 shows the two BCFP HDX's, The line horse was either 220 or 221 re-numbered 40-117. The winch assembly was later removed and installed on the 6-246 at the Gordon River shop. 40-117 would end up being dragged to the Ritchie Bros Auction in Chemainus and sold for parts. Engine was removed at Mesachie Lake by Munns and the second one is 6-251 Ozzie Nelson's truck from Caycuse ,she would be sold at the same auction and bought by Pope and Talbot for their Midway Mill operation. Sold from there to the Olson Group in Campbell River where she is or at least was.
Thanks...I do believe this is not the only HDX that Kenworth did that headlight treatment too...Has the truck survived ??
There was a number of them Cory Never really paid much attention to them really but have been told that there was a limited number of them semi-rebuilt. Maybe 6
It certainly changes the look of the truck..Either way....I think its a good picture.I don't know what kind of timber that is but its a man size load....
The #221 was a conventional and became a water tanker , I believe IPL took it to Sarita R, when they pulled out of HBO . The #40-117 must be the #220 , as it has the "Wings" on the Water Tank for the front bunk of the early Pre Load trailers to sit on it must have been a preloader . Just curious , what happened to the "Linehorse Winch" that was on the #6-246 ?
Boulder Bill .
Al I had talked to Calvin and Mike Cross both about her but neither could really remember what 40-117's number really was. Do not know who or where her remains ended up. Hopefully sitting in the back of some yard in the weeds. As for the winch on 246, Well she was low bedded down to Sarita where she was pushed into the line among the Fire Tankers. She would end up never being started or even looked at by anybody but me. I kind of watched over all those old girls. Things would go missing from all of them and I tried to keep a list with dates etc but it all seemed to fall on deaf ears. The favorite parts truck seemed to be old 246 and nearing the end she was to have so many things removed it was impossible to keep up. Both doors were completely stripped of all their part's including the windows and vent windows . I managed to jam them shut with a two x four in the grab handle's and cover the windows with plastic tarp. The decision was made that she would be dragged out into the yard and the winch was to be cut off. The scrap guys came from Campbell River so when they got there I went over with a spray can of paint and marked where to cut without doing any more damage that had already been done They did a good job but the winch was their prize. Truck was destined to be dragged onto the barge and go to the Duke Point auction. I made a few calls and arranged to buy her right there. Got one of the other drivers to give me a hand after work and we pulled her over and pushed her in beside the 17. In the mornings while 17 was warming up I would go over 246 and make notes of what all was missing and what would be needed to get her going again. Would get home and load the pick up on Friday nite and drive down on Saturday morning and spend the day working on her. Took a lot of time but finally put a set of batteries in her and primed the fuel system again and she flashed right up. There was air coming out of places that I had never even imagined. Lots of plugs and fittings and air lines replaced then drove her over to the fire hose and washed her all off. Made arrangements with Dave Golbeck who was driving the lowbed and when he was coming up to Cameron Shop Yard to get a loader, he back hauled her up there for me. Did not want to drive her because the last time she had an oil change ,It was in a BCFP Shop by their guys. Worked out very well. Did encounter some issues when installing new oil filters though. That can be another story when we hook up some time. Never was able to find out if in fact the winch was re-sold or recycled.
Thanks Steve , the saving of the #6-246 is a good story , its an interesting Truck with a interesting history . To be saved from the clutch's of the scrap dealer is a happy chapter in its history . To be restored for a future pampered life is the icing on the cake . I'm not absolutely certain of the BCFP # of the #40-117 , but it was originally a Preloader , if that narrows the mystery down a little .
For sure Al Somehow we should be able to come up with a positive ID eventually. If for nothing else but peace of mind. At least then she will be accounted for.
Boulder Bill .
Not familiar with a 600HP V12 silver 71.Looks like its twin turbo.With 600HP and 120 rears its getting to be a serious truck...I remember doing a P-16 winch preloader for use with the folding reach trailers..Good looking truck
I'm a little curious about that too , I've driven that truck a couple of day's now and then , it wasn't an overly powerful truck . The ex BCFP #6-251 Timberwest #40-128 had about the strongest Twin Turbo V12-71 , I think Calvin & Mike got it up in the 570's . Calvin Oliver & Mike Cross rebuilt & repowered several Hayes HDX's & Pacific P 16's and really did an out standing job . We really had some great guy's in the Maintenance shop back in the day .
Top picture of 36-81 is in fact ex 209 a 1954 HDX not an HD. Bottom picture is 249 She has 91,000lb Clark diff's NOT 120's Did he mean BD121's There was never a BCFP Hayes with 121's in it. As a side note Al I talked to Lance and he confirmed that 40-117 was in fact old 220
Don't yea just love a little controversy . LOL The Hayes HDX parked behind the #36-81 is the #36-85 ex BCFP #222 . The Hayes HDX sand truck is an ex Caycuse truck not sure of ex BCFP# . I was sent over to Caycuse to borrow it one time when we were still BCFP . Heading back to Honeymoon Bay , got passed the DLS and stopped to look in the box to see if it was loaded , stopped just passed the Caycuse Campsite to see if brakes were dragging . The old V12 was pretty tired .
Boulder Bill .
Al The sand truck was old 219 later had a fire tank mounted on her and re-numbered 36-120. The HDX above with the rad out of her is ex BCFP unit 228
Boulder Bill .
That Dumptruck was ex M&B Nanaimo River Division Logging truck H-91 Is a 1955 HD 18-60. Came with a Rolls Royce Engine with 8041 main and 8031C aux SFD 4600 rear diffs and 11:00X22 tires
Where did end up? Work or scrap?
Boulder Bill , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake .
Boulder Bill , 1st. picture #6-236 BCFP Renfrew Div. 2nd picture WLW , CIP Sooke Div. 3rd picture M&B Sproat Lake Div. .
Boulder Bill ,
First picture---- HD Hayes White and green Was a Foster Truck from north Island being used at Franklin. Later returned to north Island Second picture----- is an ex M&B Franklin River Division 1972 Hayes HDX. Unit number H110 sold to Pat McKay. Picture taken at Camp A at their Mill Site. He eventually sold the truck and it went from the R/B Auction to a buyer in Squamish where it sat for a while then resold again and went back logging. Third picture---- is ex BCFP Caycuse Division HDX unit number 6-229, Sold to Island Pacific Logging as a Fire Tanker. Truck still owned by IPL but will be for sale. Still has all the pre-Load assembly on her. Only need's a Folding reach trailer and an oil change and a new clutch (From what I was told) she could go back to work V12 with 6 speed main and 4 speed aux trans. Fourth picture ---is Ex 1972 M&B Franklin River Division HDX H112. Truck was made into a line horse in the mid 80's and then sold to Joe Carvello Contracting when Weyerheauser took us over. Joe made it into a ramp truck to haul his excavators around, Then the Industry went into toilet and he parked her. Was later sold to somebody up at the north end of the island. Winch that came off her was sold to a guy in Campbell River that mounted it on his Kenworth but now winch is for sale again because the Kenworth has been parted out.
I already know the yellow HDX is a Kenworth rebuild....Has H-189 also run through Kenworths doors...As she is wearing headlight boxes...I also notice they are wearing their side panels
No Cory H189 was an inhouse rebuild at Sproat Lake Shop Body shop did the up-grade there Don Bodner and Bob Creighton were the body shop crew there Not sure but somewhere I have pictures of her at Lamar Lake Logging. Maybe their bone yard is where I saw her last. Those headlites were a take off idea from the challenger style trucks--see the similarity there??? They had a preload truck there made at challanger and thought the box lites were cool, so they put them on her
As a side note The engine side panels were changed to the drop in /lift off style. Also deleted the front air cleaner when 3408 was installed. This picture was taken when H189 was on the re-haul hauling from their dryland sort to the dump on the alberni Canal. The "Pup" trailer behind this truck came from Menzies Bay Division. Was hauled down from there by Vic Rowlinson with his highway Kenworth and lowbed, and hauled to Cameron Division. We were going to utilise a couple of them on a specific haul but as things turned out they never really got used so were sent over to Sproat Lake division to replace the old Pacific trailers we sent over there some years before, one of them being X309 a 1967 50 ton Pacific trailer with Budd Wheels
Yes I notice the similarity to the Challengers.After looking again I can see the side panel revisions.. I find small changes like these and other camp changes interesting.They also give the trucks a little personality of their own other than there long history of owners and their numbers. This is a whole other subject tho...
Boulder Bill , Mesachie Lake . Picture #1 BCFP #6-246 Timberwest #40-125 . Picture #2 BCFP #6-245 Timberwest #40-124 . Picture #4 BCFP 6-252 Timberwest #40-129 .
Boulder Bill , Mesachie Lake . Picture #1 BCFP #6-236 Picture #2 BCFP #213 parked in front of BCFP #222 . Picture #3 BCFP #223 .
Boulder Bill , Mesachie Lake .
Boulder Bill . Jim Falconer with his HD 400 Hayes at McLean Mill for 2008 Albernie Truck Show.
Boulder Bill . Ex BCFP Caycuse Truck #207 an 1954 HDX Hayes at McLean Mill for 2008 Albernie Truck Show .
Boulder Bill . Early Hayes Anderson at McLean Mill for 2008 Albernie Truck show
Some pictures sent to Hank of a 1959 Hayes sitting up in High River Alberta..
Boulder Bill , 2nd picture WLW Contracting , Sooke . 3rd & 4th pictures Kip Brown , Powell River . Front Fenders by Bill Tuba , Photo's Todd Tuba .
First yellow HDX looks like a KW rebuild.Headlight boxes and removeable side panels.Who's rebuild/refit are the next two(maybe the same truck) HDX's.Quite the mix of Hayes,Pacific and KW touches on the front end.Side panel handles are painted I assume to give the illusion of the original design.. Probably the first HDX I have seen with the cat walk supports.
Last 2 pics are of Kip Brown rebuild. They did 2 trucks...N14, 18 speed Roadrangers, extended the height of the rad tanks, plumbed the air to air piping over the top of the rads, raised the cab 8 inches I believe, modified water and fuel tanks and made new mirror support brackets, fabbed new fenders that allowed access to the sides of the powerplant, used Kenworth rubber latches for side panels and KW style mechanisms to keep top hood panels open. A lot of work was done to make a fine looking HDX rebuild. Saw one recently that looked like it was being parted out. A real shame.
First picture is Franklin River Division's first HDX. We had 4 other WHDX's in 1968 but this was the first HDX with an Allison Trans. Driver was Lawrie Drybrough. Second picture is a K/W rebuild diamondtguy 3rd and 4th pictures were taken by me when Jim Falconer and I went over to Powell River to see about some parts that Kip Brown was getting rid of, Bob Hoar wanted to copy them so I let him . We had been over there a little while before and this truck was still undergoing this rebuild. It was a freezing cold day and we ended up getting screwed up with ferries BUT we got the parts LOL
Thanks guys..A lot of work and thought went into those HDX's..Kip Browns name rings a bell with me.Did he by chance have some P-16's in later years.. HDX....Lawrie Drybrough would be your dad ???
Yes, He drove Hayes's from 1948 till he was finally seduced to the dark side on Oct 27/76 when he went onto a P16 Pacific. He would go on to finish his career on H40
I don't know what's making me quietly giggle more....That fact that he was seduced to the "DARK SIDE" or the fact that you know the exact day it happened... Does that mean I am from the "DARK SIDE"..????(its ok.....I know I am lol)
Cory, It was a running joke between Dad and I. He said he never had a truck that rode as good as a Pacific. I said to him, SEE IT ALREADY AFFECTED YOUR ABILITY TO THINK CLEARLY. LOL, Was a good time, Sure miss him!!!!
My dad was my best friend..Its a relationship that cant be duplicated or replaced.Saddly he died in 1988 at the age of 53.The Diamond T was his.He bought it in 1968..I still have it ... I have heard the Pacifics ride better than the Hayes but I am sure your dad was just poking his son in the ribs to wind him up a little...
IT WORKED !!!!
I worked with me dad for almost 30 years on the farm, we were not only father and son but best of friends, too. Miss him dearly, but still have all the thoughts and lots of dreams where we are together. A great man!!
Boulder Bill , 3rd picture is Ex BCFP Renfrew Div HDX Hayes #6-244 . 4th picture is Ex BCFP Caycuse Div. HDX Hayes #6-229 .
Our friend Mike Cross has lent us his pictures to share . Mikes working career in the Woods started at WFI Gordon River as a Welder , he then moved to BCFP Caycuse Div. as a Welder then a Heavy Duty Mechanic , finishing his time in the woods as a Logging Truck Driver for Timberwest . Anything he took on he did well . His 1st pictures are of a 1958 Hayes cab he is building as a pickup .
Mike Cross , Mike's friend Don is in drivers seat , Mike standing along side . .
Mike Cross progress on Mike's 1958 Hayes pickup . 1st picture at the wheel of his pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on his Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on Mike's 1958 Hayes pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes Pickup truck .
Cool project...Need Mike to get onboard here and fill in all the details...
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross 1958 Hayes pickup .
Cool....looks like is has either made all new top tank and sides for the rad or very cleverly clad it to look like a Hayes/Pacific radiator...Well done.. Do we know what the chassis started life as ???
Unless Mike changed it , he told me several years ago he had a Motor Home frame with a BBC 454 . The engine is out of a School Bus that had a tree blown down on it . the gear cover on front of engine he made from Billit Aluminum . The fuel tanks are oblong to keep a low profile , his brother made the ends for him out of Billit Aluminum . Mike is very talented and if he can't make something , he knows someone who can .
mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup truck .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on his 1958 Hayes pickup .
Mike Cross Progress on 1958 Hayes pickup . As Mike is working on a Boaler Trailer and doing some home reno's , the Hayes pickup is on hold for now .
Well done, Mike Cross. Pictures in back ground were distracting me. safe-T-dan
Nice aluminum work..Material is void of marks and the forming looks great.Rivet work is slow and a lot of work.When I built the aluminum body on the back of the Diamond T I hand drilled about 850 holes and hand made all the panels...This truck is far more involved..Nice work..
Looking at some pictures and this truck caught my eye....Question I know HDX can answer..I can see the rad and I can see the air charge cooler but what is in between them that appears to have #32 lines on it...Is that a cooler for the trans I cant see if it has waterlines on the other side..
HDX will know for sure but I believe you are correct that it's the trans. cooler. It's an air cooled one so no water lines.
Yes You are both right The rad and right in front of it is the Hayden oil cooler and then the air to air cooler on front of this. These cooler's do not stand up as well as the Young ones did but the good thing about them is when they start to leak they don't fill the trans with anti freeze. Those coolers have been in those trucks for probably 12 years, just patched up when they start to leak. More than once when driver turning around in tight places a stick or limb sticking out would spear through all three of those. Very expensive!!! This truck was originally bought by Bill Neil. When Hayes Forest bought and rebuilt her they changed the front fenders to the longer Hayes PreLoad style fenders. The reason for this was for ease of greasing the front end. Just turn the wheels and almost walk right in to grease king pins etc. When new this truck had an "I" beam front bumper That is why the bumper is different from the standard HDX. The P16 parked beside her is IPL H153 ex M&B H155, Last conventional built
Bambi and The Boys Mum drops Bambi off most mornings and The Boys come to check out the tunes.
Home from the Forest.
HDX. Too bad you could not drive her home. All it takes is. CCC. Care Caution and Courtesy. You have all of that. Bureaucracy can be such a pain
Ah man.... I wanted to watch that. Oh well... Glad it's outta there.
She was more that up to the trip Blk prince, but I just won't take any chances. Chris brought the pilot car with his low bed. Went like it was suppose to. She has ICBC Storage insurance on her, so just have to change location now.
Came across this photo from the mid-70s in Ucluelet. This Millstream Timber Hayes was driven by Robert Taron who worked for them for quite a few years. Looks like the truck was spiffed up for the Ukee Days Parade as it seems to be sporting a new paint job. I can't quite make out what I assume to be the truck number out on upper portion of the drivers door. My older sister Stephanie Dods is talking to Robert just before the parade starts. As a teen-aged passenger, I remember riding with Robert in a older and more beat-up Millstream Timber Hayes when the company was taking timber from Grice Bay near Tofino Airport. Anyone know if many of those Millstream Timber trucks survived?... I think they had five or six trucks contracting for BCFP when my family lived up there in the late sixties. At that time, they were dumping across inlet from the MB Kennedy Lake Logging Division log dump and camp. I figure Millstream Timber must have contracted for BCFP until Pacific Rim National Park was established... don't know for sure.
Good to see another one safe and sound. Blacktail deer? Ed
They had 4 of these HD 450 Hayes's mountainskidder #30 31 32 & 33. I have two of them and Gordie Neva had one.The fourth one is unknown. Don't know what # Gordie's was but I have 30 and 33 or at least what is left of them. They were taken over by Aliford Bay Logging. The 4 Hayes's were made into fire tankers. Sometime later they went to the QC Islands for a while then brought back to Nanaimo and then to the auction.
Had her for a couple years now Bumpsteer . Kept her out at the big Cameron Shop Yard because I could take her out on the mainline for a cruise from time to time, but with everything being so unknown, I figured it was time to get her out of the frey. Was at least handy to be able to go out and work on her there but where she is now I can still work away on her. As for the boy's Well they just like to hang out and listen to the old country music on the radio. Good company.
Thanks HDX. I figured you would know if any of those Millstream Timber trucks were still rolling or parted-out and living on in bits and pieces. Next time I'm in Lake Cowichan I'll have to snoop around to see if Gordie Neva's is still around and if successful, maybe score a serial number for you to confirm if it's #31 or #32. As mentioned earlier in the post, I lived at the MB Kennedy Lake Logging camp from 1966 to 1968 and often heard - from our camp house across the inlet waters - those Millstream Timber trucks barreling down to tidewater with Jake-brakes rattling all the way downhill from the Ucluelet Graveyard through the log dump access turn to the long causeway that took them out on the flats to the dump. Seeing that photo from the Ukee Day parade brought back fond memories. Sorry to wax all nostalgic on you guys. But those were memorable times for me.
All part of the big story. These trucks came new in may/75. Very unmistakable sound from the 8V92's and 750 D Allison auto trans. Thanks for the share
Never know what your going to find in a Tool Chest , when your looking for a tool you haven't used for many years !
These are the four different crests used by Hayes from 1971 to 1975:
Stuff:
Nice collection Steve.
I got more to post Ralph, Have been going through boxes of stuff I have not been into for too many years. Now they are out in the open I have to deal with them. So there is copies here for as long as this site remains intact. As for the original stuff I have to do some serious thinking LOL
Great pictures of neat stuff.
Hi, my dad had a Hayes Tie-tack, he didn't wear ties, PG branch gave it to him when he was looking into buying a truck. I hope my mom still has it! Doug.
Doug, There was several different versions of the tie tacks. Do you remember if it was the small bear one???
Hi HDX , if I remember right it was about 1/2" or smaller, last time I saw it it was still in the baggy it came in. Doug.
Doug1966, I will go through some stuff and see if there is anything close to remind you.
Hi, it always made me kinda laugh, Hayes trucks and ties, doesn't seem like those go together! I'll see if mom still has it, maybe it will come my way. I think there was a big 4 pin as well , from when Autocar, White Freightliner ,White Western Star and White Trucks were in together. Doug.
I've been busy over the last couple of weeks working on the Hayes HD adding some smaller details and finishing up that fab work. I think it's nearly ready for paint now.
a few more...
Wow! That is spectacular Reg! Love the fan in the cab. That's awesome!
Thank you very much. I decided I should probably do an outdoor test before finishing up the last details and painting it.
Well done........
Mike Cross , Former BCFP 207 at an Antique Truck Show
Mike Cross , Jim Falconer's well kept HD Hayes .
Well, I guess it's headed to the paint shop.... I have been dreading this since the start so wish me luck!...
All the best and I am sure no problem. You are to hard on your self.
Thanks Hank. A lot of the challenges during these builds I really look forward to. Trying to figure out how to make a difficult part may keep me awake at night from time to time but that's what keeps me motivated. Painting just so happens to be the one thing that everyone notices first and I don't do it enough to get good at it. It can make hundreds of hours worth of work look amazing or like a mess. I started painting some of the stuff today and I haven't thrown anything at the wall just yet!
Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out amazing like all your other projects!
Just don't throw the paint gun..... I threw my paint gun full of black laquer when I first painted my 68 Mustang in the 80's.It dripped paint out the vent all over the car and I flung it out of the garage with the hose attached.It flew about 25 feet and smashed right against my hose and blew apart.. Now....my house was white vinyl sideing..Spent more fricken time cleaning my house than it would have taken me to sand the car...Plus I ruined my paint gun... Throwing stuff has never worked out well for me... I have a speed bag mounted in my shop for such moments now.... Today is actually one of those days but I am to tired...
Hi, Reg all I can can say is take your time, paint is the one thing you can't rush. I know about the throwing stuff too, a few of my early truck models became airplanes, never a good thing , always leads to more work. Thanks Doug.
Well I almost had a throw it on the ground and stomp it moment today but I'm too far into this to do that. I did however say a few really bad words beginning with f's and c's but I walked away and came back a few minutes later. Anyway, this problem is taken care of so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Cab, hood, box and some small parts are painted. Tomorrow I'll continue along and hopefully by the weekend all of the parts will have paint on them...
Hi, best to always walk away, find something else to smash. It wasn't until I watch others 'having a moment' that I realized how stupid you look it. Worked with a guy in bush that did nothing but cost and hurt himself. Tighten chains on loader tires, the chain tightener slipped off, BOOM into cab almost through window on other side, then had problems with production on other block, got bad news over radio, freaked out, threw radio mike out window, (yes smashed window), didn't think about coiled cord, mike came back and hit him in face, got even with it, smashed on steering wheel, log truck drivers spent rest of day searching for him, on one of the multiple landings we had. Then first cabinet making job, boss would throw clamps when something went wrong, people were surprised I had guts to tell him how stupid he looked, no clamps came my way, found out later he was a little scared of me, wished I known that sooner! Doug.
Haha. I have zero patience for a lot of things in life but with this they are almost endless. I get frustrated, upset and disappointed for sure but only say f&@$ really loud. A couple of years back I was building a very expensive post side end dump trailer for a customer. I was milling some notches in the rounded front panel when the end mill caught an edge and destroyed the hand formed piece. I said the f word loud enough that my wife came running from the other side of the yard into the shop thinking I was hurt. I was thankful that she cared enough to come running to my rescue but when she found out I was only emotionally scarred, I got in trouble for scaring her.lol
I have been there, had the wife come running a few times....usually ended with me in **** for scaring her. Cam
Mike Cross , Tod Palliser's HDX Hayes .
Where did this truck end up at ??
CCR go back to page 126 , posting 2511 & 2515 this thread for your answer .
Hi HDX;donate to me- two white Hayes cap badge. have fun
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge , Caycuse Div . Rebuilding ex BCFP #6-249 Fletcher Challenge #40-126 HDX Hayes
6-249 looks ok in her work clothes
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge , Caycuse Div . Rebuilding ex BCFP #6-249 , Fletcher Challenge #40-126 an HDX Hayes Preloader .
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding ex BCFP #6-249 , Fletcher Challenge #40-126 . 1st picture , Calvin Oliver hard at work .
Looked a lot better in the BCFP colour scheme. IMHO.
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding ex BCFP #6-249 Fletcher Challenge #40-126 HDX Hayes preloader . not sure but pictures 2&3 could be ex BCFP 6-251 Fletcher Challenge #40-128 .
Mike Cross Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. Ex BCFP #6-252 at Caycuse shop .
Well it's taken a long time but she's all finished up and made it from the manufacturer to the contractor....
Very impressive.....well done Reg
Gorgeous, now will it stay showroom floor prototypical, or will it have a few scuff marks on the bumper, perhaps a big ding in the box? The skill with which people “age and weather” railroad cars is always amazing. That is a separate art form. I like the tiny details like the shovel and ax rack. The still photos reminds me of a gravel pit in Eastern WA, the truck fit right in.
I am reposting a few pictures hoping to find out more about this great old truck.
Received these pictures from Paystar, WillB took these pics. Sorry, I didn't get you a serial number Hank, as no one was there and I don't like openingdoors without permission. What I can tell you is it was in the steel mill owner by Cooper CraneRentals and it was red. It also had Quebec plates on it. Then Sterling Crane bought out Coopers and they also still used it to haul machinery around inside the plant. But then they sold it to Avery and it is still used in the plant, now painted green. It has a V12 Detroit and was recently rebuilt by my dealer...TMS. It's hooked to a King A64 200 ton float. This is all I know about the truck and I hope we can find out more information. Thanks Guys.
I said in one of the earlier post's that I thought I knew this truck Hank, and it finally came out. This truck when new was delivered to Hole & Clark Transport, Port Hardy BC Sept 20 1968. Came with 12V71N engine and 58-60 Allison trans. 90,000 lb Clark planetaries, Rear end ratio was 15:298. Truck had a logging water tank mounted on her and a Holland 5th wheel . Was originally painted Torche Red (Dulux DU 11311) with a yellow band on each side. 14:00 X 25 tires In the pictures above she has 16:00 X25 tires on the steering axle. I had seen this truck in Campbell River at one time but never had a camera with me and figured it would be around for a while but it disappeared.So now the mystery is solved!!!! Thanks for doing that Hank
What is this post about saftdan????
"inexperienced posting" wll soon show a good Kenworth.
Post kenworth on the kenworth thread dan
I received from Shawn in Ontario this afternoon. Like I had told you, all I knew of it was it was owned by Cooper Crane and was used in Algoma Steel. But it had Quebec plates on it. So they must have had it at a yard out there at one point. But it has been in the Sault here since I first started hauling in the steel plant in 1989. It was painted red. Then Sterling Crane bought Coopers and they sold it to Avery Construction and Transportation where it was painted their company green.
Yes Hank Was still red/yellow when I saw her years ago
To my eyes sure looks like it was well cared for in the last 39 years. A classic for sure.
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada . Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
How long does a rebuild like this take?? Job well done they had a great of men working there.
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes . ( I don't know how long it would take to rebuild a truck , sometimes it was work that was done at slack time or on shut downs , if it was a priority , it seemed to get done in short order ) .
Hot damn that does look good. Sure does make this guy feel very good inside seeing one rebuilt. It must make you fellows who have been there your whole life time feel the very best!
Mike Cross Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes .
https://skagit.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1950s-hayes-off-road-truck/6316470341.html I just stumbled across this, it was posted today. Someone need a project? It is actually down in Redmond Oregon.
Good score Jumbo. It is a 1972-74 HD Hayes. You can tell by the new style doors (With the lip where your arm rest's) Also the deep front bumper and the headlites on the fenders. These were know as HD Wide Rad's. Not sure of the exact model due to what engine she came with. She has 46-40 rear ends so that would make her an HD ##-70 model. The first two digits would indicate the HP of whatever engine she was built with. Say for laugh's she came with a 350 Cummins then it would be a 35-70 for 350 HP and 70,000 lb rear ends She will have a 4 digit serial number. These trucks were 9 feet 6 inches wide across the rear tires. Was common to have a Spicer 1202 two speed aux trans with a road ranger main trans. Hard to find those old 2 speed's now. Maybe try and find out her serial number and we can identify her
Who's ever selling it doesn't know what they have. It's a couple decades newer than the 50's. LoL
Welder Dave, In the guy's defence, There is not a lot of Hayes's around down south of the border. He is/was probably told that from whoever he bought it from or somehow ended up with her. They are somewhat hard to identify even from pictures. Take for instance ,The ramp truck above that camptramp has posted the rebuild of. Any idea's what year it is???
I guess but you would think someone would have a bit of an idea what they have. From what I read the Big Cam Cummins came out in 1976 but maybe the engine was changed. Still looks a little too modern for a 1950's truck.
1956
Wow...1956...Good for her....I love the hand made fuel tank on the right side..One part that has 3 jobs..
Here they are Ray.
Hope all the door locks work
Is that just strip calking on the door where the inner panel goes or is/was it some sort of adhesive..I like the way the Hayes doors are done.The window winder parts are all mounted to the door.On my truck the parts are attached to the inner panel.The glass drops to the bottom when removing the panel.. It is all looking very nice.Love the old school under dash ash tray and lighter.....The rear glass frame is nice as well.... Those shiny little bears are calling me.....
Was thinking of maybe putting this in her. It is sitting on the top shelf in the basement doing nothing anyway. these are all brand new NOS Stewart Warner. Nothing metric. I lucked out and got the last Speedo and Tach from Kenworth. These came from their warehouse in south L.A. Was a fluke because nobody even knew they were still there
Cory, Its just silicone that somebody put on when the door was last worked on some years ago. It is all gone now because I scraped it off. Originally the inner door panels were lined with a thin amount of sheet lead. This was on the last trucks built. It firmed up and added some weight to the doors. Once these door panels are put back on ,They hopefully wont come off again. Still trying to find Sheet lead but hard to source. That is why the inner panels are still off.
OK....I wont be putting silicone on mine.. That dash is beautiful..Love all the old jewel lense red lights..I remember those lights from Pacific...Unstamped plate,the big bear..All I can think about is building a truck around that dash.....
HDX.....Have a look here. https://www.mcmaster.com/ Great place to deal with.I buy most of my hardware and weird stuff from them..They have lead sheets..They also have rivets..Happy hunting...
Hayes truck in Vancouver' s PNE Parade
I was just re-reading the post about sheet lead. If HDX has not sourced any there is a supplier in Burnaby. Metal Distributors. Here is there website. Rolls of lead sheet from 1/64th up to 2". I am over there next week and can bring some back with no trouble.
http://www.metaldist.com/sheet-lead.html
A little Hayes music.......
Well I finally found some old treasures from Copper Canyon in '69 and one from the Mac & Blo haul road 1982. H271 is featured in 69 and 82. My sister knew a fella from BC Forest service and she told him of our family's logging background and he gifted her with these pics.
Here is the shot of H271 on the haul road that wouldn't fit on the other post. Same truck, older paint.
I sure hope this brings back some memories and more great stories. I have been through the different log truck sites and have not seen these before. Hope you all like them.
Here is a slightly better enhanced pic of the unloading. Does anyone know the length of those logs.
They all ended up in Japan for the Expo 70 in Osaka.
Beautiful. They sure were logs back then.
Hayes HD trucks video at
My friend Shawn found one more picture of the Avery Hayes which HDX and myself have posted on page 133 topic #2646
A different application for a Hayes
Maybe HDX can tell us a little about this old Hayes Anderson that I came across over at Harry Blackstaff's in Saltair. I've never heard of a Hayes Anderson... almost looks like it might be made from two or three different trucks... maybe only the cab is a Hayes Anderson. Looks like a gas motor... trans has an auxiliary stick with it... I have included the model (SW400W) and serial (510349) tags in two of the photos. Ever seen one of these HDX??
This is Bill Forresters truck, Although he lives in Nanoose Bay, He was asked by Harry to park it at the Blackstaffs place beside the antique shop he has there. I will get his son (31KW) on here to jump in and fill in the blanks. When new it was a Beban Truck. 1935 Hayes Anderson. He also has a tandem trailer for it. Up until a couple years ago he would drive it all the way from Nanoose to Nanaimo for the parades there.
Thx HDX. It looks like a real classic and must have been a "looker" in its day. It's a shame that it's not under cover down at Harry's place. What with no doors on either side, rainwater seems to be taking a terrible toll as the seat and floor is slowly disappearing. I look forward to hearing from 31KW on the backstory. Cheers.
I have been trying to get hold of Larry LOL
I remember as a young kid riding in a Frank Beban Truck up at Gardner Canal in 1973. I was second loading and would ride in with the driver on the last load .It was an an HDX ,But without planetarys 4640s i i think. One thing i remember is the that new car smell that truck had as it was probably a72 0r 73 . Some years later up in the Charlottes i remember heading out in the woods in the welding truck and having a near miss on a steep hill with the same truck. I was pulled over and watched in my rear view as it didnt make the corner and flipped . logs flying and wheels spinning as i ran back to see if the driver was ok. He was upside down in a deep ditch . The driver crawled out , shaken but ok. We spent a month or so and Straightening things back out and back on the road she went. Ive often wondered where that truck ended up. It was a testement to how tough these trucks were.
Some pictures I took of her in 2005 in Duncan. Please can someone tell me what the 2 set of plates that is welded to the bumper was used for? There is drilled a small hole in all four plates. I have seen this configuration on other logging trucks.
More
HI mountain Yes this is my fathers 1935 Hayes Anderson bought new by Stoltz logging they went to work for Frank Beban we think and in the end beban ended up with it. Harry and Jimmy Blackstaff are to be credited with saving it as it was on some property around ladysmith when the property got sold the new owners pushed it over a bank to get rid of it but it hung up on a stump she wouldn't die lol. Harry made a deal with bill and home she came motor was seized and bill got it freed up and running with out taking engine out in fact nothing has come out all freed up and running. We don't know if the brackets are for a a frame to hold the wooden reach as they were really long u can see some of the CZ ladysmith trucks on this site with the same long reaches. As for the outside rain and all it has never been undercover in its life and most of the rust was always there would love it to be undersomething thou. We think it used to have a full cab and doors on it but some where in its life got a repair on back of cab. We will get to it maybe this year and get her prettied up we promise it bugs us too. We are going to get the hayes Anderson trailer down and plopped on the back would look really good. Anymore questions just ask I don't come on much but will start Larry
Thank you for information and explanation "1931 Kenworth". It makes sence. I wonder if it was some kind of CZ thing. I have a picture of an Hayes HDX that had the same kind of brackets. Unit #40-60
Thanks for the backstory 31KW... appreciate knowing about her early life. And thanks to Hayesno1 for all the cool photos... provides me a different perspective on her long and winding road. Cheers to you guys.
The 246 went for a cruise a while back, from Cameron Yard to the "Field of dreams", Here she is among friends and fits right in
Kind of a family gathering place
The classic BCFP Ditch light looks out of proportion but it is back to the original style. Maybe the visors that make it look different
one more
"Field of Dreams" what a great name for a yard full of history, trucks from BC. Thanks for saving them.
I wish my yard looked that full! Would you be cranky if a guy were to look you up when he was out that way??? Looks like a fine museum of log hauling history.
You are more than welcome to come and enjoy the scenery... There is more though
This is what "Retirement" looks like
Don't get any better!!!
That lite looks bigger then any other BCFP ditch lite. Right or wrong?
She looks great, Steve. How much trouble you get into making an ice cream run? Lol..... Ed
I'd love one to mount a line horse on.
Fellow on here. HDX. He can help you find what you might be able to use. His knowledge is unbelievable
He is incredibly wise for sure!
I'm liking the new side panels!
Hallback, I don't know if any of you out there have gone onto this site but the majority of our old IPL Trucks are listed under "Jenna Equipment" now Just google that and it will come up. Sometimes you have to fool around to get some of the stuff to load. The fire tankers are listed under Misc equipment. The real sleeper that was among them was the 245, The sister truck to 246. I see it is now listed as SOLD She was a 1973 HDX I was actually going to buy her if she didn't get sold soon but alas she is gone
The fire tankers that are left now are all V12 GM and 1263 Main and 1241 aux trans. 70--71,000 rear planetaries
Notice the floor in these early Hayes models, the sheet metal floor was coated with lead under the metal to stop vibration, and the top of the floor was cut ribbed oak boards as the drivers often wore cork boots, pedals often had bits of conveyer bolted on.
Does anyone have the serial number for BCFP #213 also known as IPL F141?
T57. You may already know this. A fellow on here goes by HDX. He can tell you all you want to know. He will check in over the weekend. Bp
Thanks BlK prince for the heads up on when he checks in. Yes, I do know about HDX's vast knowledge and helpful ways.
#213---6071764 1956 HDX Will get back this afternoon
Thank you HDX!
Hi there, I've been watching this thread for years and finally decided to sign up. I have a few crane (hiab and stinger) trucks I run in the Fraser valley and am looking to add "project" to the fleet. I have found a HD that has not really done much for most of its life. When I first came across the truck in the mid 80's it was already mostly retired and I would be surprised if it had run more than a couple thousand km since. I went and looked at it agin when I was in northern bc at Christmas and it appears to be in relatively good condition. I'll try to post some pictures later today. I'm told it is a 68, has a 13 speed and a 335 cummins. Double frame, rubber block suspension , and a gravel box on it (which has to go). The owner has the original engine side panels etc so it is a complete truck. Brass plate on dash says HD33-48. Serial 5122930 HDX do you have any info on this truck somewhere in you vast knowledge library on Hesse things? Is it worth fixing up? I guess everything depends on how many $$$ they guy wants for it.
Yellowstar Let me start by saying Welcome Glad to see you contribute to this group. OK as to your questions Lets start by saying your great find is a 1965 HD. The serial number will tell you some of the mystery. Break it down this way 5122930 5/year 12/month 2930/Number of units built by Hayes. They would keep the 7 digit serial number up until half way through 1970 when the first three digits were dropped (year and month) and just the last 4 numbers became the actual serial number. So near as I could research, This truck was not a custom ordered truck. She was a dealer lot truck. Would have been delivered near as I can tell was Nov/Dec 1965. I will dig deeper if you need more. She came with 234 inch WB. NTC-335 Cummins engine, serial number 468013. Spicer 8251-F Main trans s/n 654283 and an 8341-C aux trans s/n H3787. Also 14 inch clutch.10:00X20 tires all around with Budd wheels SQDD Rear ends,7.54 Ratio . That gave her a top speed of 58.5 MPH. She was also a 12/24 volt unit with Positive ground. So she had a series Parallel switch. Also a single 65 Gal Fuel tank. Truck was Linden Green (DU-144) and Black. Front bumper was Black and white stripes. Interior was Beige (Hammertex Chestnut) This was the standard color for all the Hayes trucks in the 60's. Also has the small rear window (Logging Style). So from just looking at your pictures She is a pretty straight old girl... Very well worth saving.. There is a number of things she would require but that can be worked out down the road. The door panel on the drivers side is a newer one of a 70's model Truck because it is the 70's hammertex green. (Almost GM Alpine Green) The speedo is a newer style Metric. Original was SW and MPH. Hayes never did use any metric gauges in any of their trucks because the metric system never came into use until 1977 in Canada. In fact, the only gauge that would read in both metric and standard was a Pyrometer. Even trucks built for export were all equipped with standard gauges. Hope this helps answer your questions. If you get serious about her, PM me and we will talk value OK
You can see in your pictures that the Rad Cap has a small air pressure gauge installed in it. This was done by somebody to check the pressure in the rad at operating temp. The rad had a 7 LB Pressure relief valve's on them and they worked well. But through time and neglect if they started to stick ,They would allow the pressure in the rad to build up enough to damage the rad core. This little gauge would allow you to see if the pressure was going up beyond the 7 LB range and you could just stop and loosen the cap to bleed the pressure off--Expansion and contraction as the water temp got hotter. There was a modification made to rectify this valve some years later. we can get into this later if you want. Also The trailer hand valve is the style used by Pacific, Not Hayes. She did have brakes on the steering axle when new but I cant tell if they have been deleted or not in the pictures.
Wow. Thank you for the info! Part of me says that she would be a lot more user friendly with a 3406 b and some more modern suspension with higher gearing. I'm a little concerned about rust between the layers of the double frame. Got any suggestions for this? Also, can a rad guard still be found? To me it doesn't look right without the guard and a big H on the front! Thanks again!
Yellowstar, That is great. Yes you are right about the engine and rear suspension. Funny enough that you should think that way. It is a very common upgrade today to make these old blister come alive again. As for the rear frame rails, We all have done this. My 1972 HD had this problem. We did the tear down and split the rails. I was lucky enough to find a set of housings that were in mint condition so Vic Rowlinson and I cut all the rear bolts and drove them out Then lifted the frame rails out of the chairs .Undid the cross members and all that was left sticking out was the two rails from the back of the cab to the tail frame. We then split the frame rails and removed all the rust and such. Had new frame inserts bent up and main cross members . We then installed them and started drilling. Pulled all the rear ends apart and installed them in the newer diff housings and all new seals ,Brakes and all else we figured that could be a problem. Vic repainted the back end and we were back in business. I should have gone with the upgrade Nuway or Pete -airtrac air ride suspension, This would have been the way to go. But being a purist I kept the rubber block suspension, Kind of like driving a 2X4 with steel wheels You kill two birds with one stone so to speak, Because you will never touch the back end again . Then you get into the engine department. How much power would you need/want. For the most part , The 3406B is more than enough for whatever you would want. By going this route ,you would not need to install the air to air assy, and that is a pain in the a##. You can still keep your shutters and for all intents and purpose nobody can tell that you have changed anything because it still looks like a NEEDLE NOSE HD Hayes and it rides like a mattress. There are steering changes you can do to replace the old Vickers system as well if you so decide. I went with the original 8V71 N and installed dual 9 inch Donaldson mufflers and stacks. This was a little problematic as for visibility because it does tend to give you a blind spot on the drivers side, Just something to think about if you lay out your plan to go this route. There are brushguards around, and not really hard to come up with. I saw in the pictures that the battery box cover was laying on the ground, Be sure to grab that ,if for no other reason that having a template to make a new one if needed. Also ,look around and ask him if he has the muffler guard around in the shop maybe, with the engine side panels. Sometimes these were removed because the new muffler was a 10 inch instead of an original 9 incher and the brackets would not fit anymore. All this is not a biggie because they are around and not hard to make. Trust me here The new wrap around ones with all the holes in them like the Kenworth ones don't work they look like hell and just don't look right. Stay with the original style with a grab handle,they were and are the best.. Well what else are you concerned about??? You can always PM me if it gets intense LOL
Bit of a tragedy unfolding at the Nanaimo Lakes dry sort. A mix of HDXs and P-16s that came here under their own steam a few months back.
Will investigate further and get back to you about these... And their future
Sad to see functional machines torn apart for pieces.
How they looked last September.
I really want one to build a line horse out of or already rigged as a horse.
They must be still using the two P16's on the far left. Both these trucks were Hayes Forest trucks .units T519 and T521. Both of those trucks have BD121 Rear ends and 18 speed trans in them. They were bought new by Pat Carson in 1986 along with a third truck T517. That truck was kind of for sale last year over on the sunshine coast along with a lowbed trailer. These three trucks were part of the acquisition of the Pat Carson Fleet when Hayes Forest bought out PCB
In the last picture, is that blue and white truck a pacific or hayes in cognito?
My thinking a Hayes by the front bumper etc. ???
It is a 1973 HDX Hayes. Was a BCFP truck that went to their Nekite Division new. Had a hydraulic ram mounted under the truck bunk for hooking up to the lowbed trailer
I think the blue and white Hayes ended up in Narrows Inlet BCFP division where it was painted from orange to the blue and white. The whole fleet got painted one winter after Interfor took over from Fletcher Challenge who took over BCFP
She must have been rebuilt at the same time then , the Pacific cab, Fenders and hood and brush guard must have been added at the same time. What do you think???
This truck #6-247 got a in house ground up rebuild in Narrows at the time everything got painted . This would been around the mid 90's . Last time I saw it (above pics) was in Powell River 2011. I think they may have rebuild one other one at that time. If those trucks are Horsemans their is a good chance it's a Narrows truck. I think Gary bought one or two when Narrows close down and joined Clowhom falls
Steve, I wonder if in fact then if this is not 6-248, the sister truck . They both had the hydraulic ram under the truck bunk. the one picture'd in the Nanaimo lakes sort yard on blocks still has the Hydraulic tank mounted on the drivers side of the water tank in the ladder. the boxed in top of the water tank on each side of the saddle was done to one of them. not sure which one it was without going back through Al's pictures from up there. The picture you posted above was the one I saw with her for sale somewhere on the sunshine coast some years ago. time will tell if I get over that way and get to see her... The search continues... You might have posted pictures of this one some years ago . Seems there was a picture of the dash layout in her also.
Yes I did post this truck a few years back page 39 in this thread. Greatwestcam posted a couple pictures of the dash on same page 39.
There has been a picture of the 6-249 posted on another site .She has been brought back out and is maybe going to be used again. A few years ago i tried to buy her but it was not to be She was tied up in a paper trail and nobody would commit to anything up there. For those of you that dont know what i am talking about There were two trucks sent from Cowichan Woodlands up to the QC Islands. Sandspit operation. However both trucks were taken to Port Alberni and converted from the "Folding Reach Winch trucks" to the Crown Z style preload. This was done at Port Machine Works in town here. The two trailers just disapeared. I was told they were sold for parts being as they would only fit on those specific style trucks. The reason the trucks were converted was because there was only the trailer style like we (M&B) and Crown Z had up there. Was easier to just make the trucks fit THEIR trailers. The following pictures are of Dave Whiskin driving his 6-249 and the other driver (afraid I have forgotten his name) driving the 6-253 . They stopped at the Franklin dispatch shack and then went on to the Cameron Division Shop outside town and left them there. Was a sad event because these guys had to turn those trucks over to a very uncertain future and they were THEIR TRUCK's..
Few more, these were taken in Camp B
Leaving Camp "B"
The next pictures I took at the Cameron Shop while they awaited the trip to town to the machine shop. It would be the last time I saw her. I had an attachment to the 249 right from the time Johnny Sawatzki got her brand new in 1973. He was a good friend. Always a lot of laughs, He was an old BCFP,Vancouver Bay driver so we had history.. When John went into the dispatch position Dave Whiskin got her and it was just as good. I sat in that truck at Cameron that night after I took the pictures and it was the saddest time. Like saying goodbye to an old friend... How do you do that?? Hard.
more
While sitting in her, i actually thought about just making her disappear.. Would have been fairly easy to do really. Just load the trailer back on and drive her away. right through town. Nobody would have even given it a second thought OH just another big truck going somewhere.. Then reality set in and you get to thinking What now???. Well at least I have never given up on her.... Just two old NitNat veterans
Bring it to Coutts and park it in my front yard, no one around here would have a clue what it was, very safe!
if you would of driven her to a different place it would of been the best thing that could of happened to her. Getting taken care of by someone who appreciates them so very much.
17 in those pictures though
What is the significance of a gold bear hayes hood ornament vs the chrome? A friend of mine has a couple and was wondering.
1972 - 50 Years anniversary (gold)
At the RB sale in Edmonton.
Truck is ex Caycuse Division BCFP unit # 6-250.. Went for low 40's BUT there is some issues
This looks like a cool project. shared photo
That’s pretty big power for a HD!
Yikes! That'll make the local tire shop owner fat and happy!
A friend back in Ontario seen this on Facebook and was asking what year this truck is all I know is that it is a Hayes.
I'am pretty sure it is Pacific but I have been wrong before..
You are correct as I know. After looking at Pacific pictures thanks for correcting me..
Found this Hayes HDX in Beaver Cove
Look at this old girl - I found - she is looking okay but needs a care/software hand
Sorry - NOT software - just soft
Look at this well maintained HDX
Now that is a Pampered old Brute!!
She had just been in the shop after a hard Day of work...
Hayes HDX preload - H14 - this is beaty
A Repower, Air to Air up front is a little Exposed!!
At door it says “Infinity West”
Helluva way to haul spares!!
Its the easyst and most practical way to move an Off Highway Logging Truck by barge from town to camp or from one camp to another camp , and take along some spare tires .
And oh soooooo much fun to load them. Forget where the valve stem is and the tireman can get a touch snippy with you. Unless of course you do tires as part of you job, then you can curse yourself out. Did I ever say how much I hate repairing tires.
Fixing Tires has always Sucked!! And I live on land with Honey Locust trees on it.
After seeing the 6-210 sitting ,Just had to post the other sisters
They all run and get a little exercise around the field from time to time.. 207 was the truck Jim falconer had that he would take to the truck shows. 209 had to have an engine change due to an internal problem.. All good now
Is there a specific issue with the valve stems when loading/loaded on a barge? Asking for the ignorant few like myself
When you drop spare tires over and down upright stake , care must be taken that valve stem on inside of steel tire rim is not "sheered off " . If that happens tire must be taken off rim to replace valve stem on tube .
Gotcha.
This WHD is still around - 1974 model as I recall but it was parked at Olympics Forrest boneyard so it might be uset for spare parts
Sure good to see them all lined up, safe and away from one tearing parts out of them. Giving them a little exercise will keep them lasting a long time.
Here is another old HD I have not seen for many years
Here is another truck I had not seen for many years - Ruthie - HDX dump truck in Campbell River
Fun to see the trees are growing each time when I visit Port McNeill. First time I Saw her was way back in 2000 - beside her was another HDX but it has gone now... one of the vans I rented in the background
WHDX Squamish Division
I just hate seeing trees growing through old iron. It just tells my no one cares anymore.
Oh, Some of us still do John C
Thanks for the information - which number#?
Thompson HDX at their shop.
This HDX has seen better days. Right door is the old one - square window
Another HDX
This HDX was owned by Dennis Dystant some years ago where it had unit no #3. It was light blue and white - I will see if I Can find pictures of then
My friend Rob send to me this morning of this 69 Hayes HD at a truck show in Leduc Alberta.
Same HD truck parked beside Steve´s HD from 1972. Pics from 2012
This picture is from ForesTech, where this Hayes HD is for sale. At first I thought it was Jim Falconers HD logging truck but it´s not. Does anyone know present owner. I think I have seen the Hayes HD at far back right - not much left of her - but I can´t remember where. At far left Coulsson´s old #H18. Picture 2 is Jim´s HD logging truck this summer. View attachment upload_2019-9-16_21-33-31.jpeg
View attachment 201952
I like the painted bumper much better as well as Steve's exhaust stacks
I totally agree - I think Steve´s looks like it just left the factory.
Post 2810 is Jim Falconer’s old truck which was sold to Chris Dodds a few months ago. Chris’ company name is Coastal Bridge and Construction Ltd and the picture was taken in his part of the old Cameron Division yard.
Welcome CCR and thank you for your information. I guess Jim has gone on pension now.
Here another picture of the HD now owned by Chris Dodds. Second picture shows Jim with the truck back in 2012 at The Hayes truck show. H17 in the back. Great show. I wonder if there will be a Hayes show in 2022????
I found the picture of old Dennis Dystant unit #3
I think this must be ex Jim Falconer Hayes HD unit #3
An HDX missing engine and hood....
A loader getting ramps down
I think this is old MB unit #H320. It used to be a preloader. Pic was taken at the old Cameron shop this summer. I don’t know present owner.
No, Hayesno1, It was an ex Crown Z, Ladysmith PreLoad truck. she was converted up in Campbell River a long time ago . Had the frame cut off behind the water tank and a Conventional HDX rear assy with 91,000 lb Clark diff's welded back on. This did two things at the same time, Crown Z used 71,000 Clark rear ends ,So the donor truck the 91,000 rears and conventional turn table made the rebuild very easy. Now owned by Hugh Anderson from alberni
HDX; thank you for correction and information. Yes that convertion did kill 2 birds with one stone. Beside the HDX there were a few more Hayes. 2 ex. W. B. Trousdell, Sechelt trucks - I guess Hugh Anderson owns them as well.
Yes he does, The ex PreLoad was hauling in Sarita for Dyer logging up until the work stoppage out there. He also had Kyle Ferris driving his off highway Kenworth on the same job.. Kyle's dad is Rod Ferris who had a number of trucks over the years. Got a picture here somewhere.. Will find and post it
This was taken at Campbell River AllTrucks a long time ago. Rod Ferris had the trucks down from camp and was doing some work on them. These trucks were part of the fleet from Port Hardy Division. Went there new in 1964, H142 H143 H144 and H145. These four trucks were transferred down to Cameron division in 1966 when M&B opened up the new operation there. The Company needed trucks and the contractor there at the time was sort of traded to Port Hardy with his trucks, Joe Borer was their name.. He went up there with his Kenworth's and the Company trucks came down to Cameron. Eventually these four were surplused off (1972) . Two of them were bought by a local contractor and after them not working very much, they were again sold. This time to Rod Ferris. He had them for a very long time and eventually he too sold them off. One is still parked (Or was parked in Campbell River but went back to work somewhere) I believe maybe it was Ed Masters driving it at that time.
Cant remember the original unit numbers of these two, Got it somewhere. You can see in the picture that the original front bumpers had been upgraded to the "Push" style Originally they had the "I"Beam bumpers Not sure if it was done at Cameron Division or Pt Hardy, They are both slightly different.
Sorry I did not get a picture of Hugh’s KW but you can see the cab in picture 1 in my post #2823. As usual great information about Ferris Hayes. I have a few pictures of one or 2 of them. I will see if I can find them.
This HD was parked at Hugh Anderson’s shop. I like the arrangement of the stack..
I found some pics of one of R. Faris truck. HDX; I think this is the same HDX on right in your post- Look at door handle - very long.
More pics of same truck. Pics were taken in 2000 at Alltrucks.
This is another R. Faris truck. Pics were also taken at Alltrucks in Campbell River in 2000. But this HDX is pretty spooky - it seems to me it is a set forward HDX but it is not a preloader and rad seems more wide and not that high.
This last picture you posted of the HDX was at one time a PreLoad I think, Set forward front axle. there was an awful lot of these Crown Z trucks and they were all converted over to Conventionals Hayesno1
Why did they convert them to conventional logging truck? Is maintenance cost higher when using preloader?
Most contractor operations would not use the PreLoad trucks because they didn't need that style of truck.. Most shied away due to the extra rigging and the trailers are hard to move around . Then there is the road building the PreLoad will use a lot wider corner than a conventional truck Kind of like towing a low bed around behind you If you have to move them on the public roads ,To another site, You almost have to cut the trailers apart because they are just too wide .. 16-17 feet wide, Bunks do not turn like the conventional trucks due and they will not issue any permits for them. A conventional is easy to lowbed anywhere and the trailers also. These trucks/trailers are for the most part 11 feet wide across the rear tires...If you are moving one of the trucks with the SPR 570 rear ends Then 12 feet wide across the rear tires. As far as the Crown Z trucks Hayesno1 Most of them came with the Clark 71,000 rear drive planetary rear ends. these were lighter than the 91,000 lb Clarks and the 91's were by far the choice of industry on the coast.
This is my HDX being moved on a highway lowbed
That truck has the 91,000 lb Clark rear ends and 11 feet wide.. This will give you an idea how wide it would be with 16 foot wide bunks that will not turn, does this help Hayesno1?
HDX; thank you for a very satisfactory explanation. I had completely forgotten that the bunks are not turnable. A preloader is a far more rigid truck than a conventional one. Your picture illustrates it very clearly. A few pics of #H17 showing how side she is.
A few more down the memory lane...
Makes me home sick.... IPL was a great outfit to work for We logged all around out at "your Lake" there in the Haddon last year Hayesno1 And further out. New mainline goes off the Haddon back there now called the Roanne Mainline
HDX.....is that a Pacific trailer your dragging along behind you in those pics ????
Trust you to see it for what it is diamondtguy, Yes it is... When the three super truck P16's (3412 Cat engine's) came to Franklin in 79 they came with two Pacific trailer's each. Being as how we were not preloading too much anymore at the time There were three of us with the HDX's grabbed one each. By this time the Hayes trailers were getting well worn so to speak AND they were all only 14 foot bunk trailers.. The Pacific trailers were 15 foot bunk trailers and in very good condition so they worked very well...Sound reasonable?
Makes sense to me...by chance is the serial # plate still on the trailer... The reason I noticed it was a Pacific trailer is because of a detail I read in one of your posts.I believe you said that only Pacific put the over center/helper springs on the legs.. Those are nice pics oh H-17..
No plate Cory Sorry Will see what I can find for ID somewhere OK
Hayesno1. Went back through some old pictures, The truck you posted #2831 was Longland Trucking HDX from Courtenay originally. Hauled with the Crown z trucks there. Rod Ferris ended up with it for a while Last time I saw her was a picture showed up of her in the QC Islands
Yeah that day on Haddon main in 2012 I'll never forget. It was a fantastic trip HDX. And yes "my lake" - I haven't been there since but will be back but I will probably have to be updated with which "branch" the lake is located. The IPL had a nice fleet of trucks and was well maintained. I think I want to start a new thread - IPL. How about that? Thanks for information ref. My post #2831. I wonder what is left at QCI?
Yes Hayesno1 I am on board with that if you do, Got a lot here to contribute OK Let me know
Good to hear I will start an IPL thread
#H14 in summer 2012 - first 2 pictures. Last 2 pictures this summer. So good to see her back in operation
When new h14 was M&B Cameron Division unit H88 Swen Josephson got her new in 1974. H88 was sent to RB Auction in the mid 90's and bought by Coulson's Now sold to another contractor in Port Alberni. Sister truck H89 was sent to M&B Shawnigan Division and was converted to a Conventional from the PreLoad version. She is still around and pictures of her show up from time to time, Last seen in the QC Islands.. H90 and H91 were cut up by Hayes Forest in 2003 in the Franklin Shop yard, that was the four new HDX PreLoads that Cameron Division got in 1974, Franklin would get 6 of these PreLoads at the same time.. H316 Cut up by Hayes Forest / 2003.. H317 Still around up at north Island pulling a low bed H318 Was sold to Lamare Lake Logging / 2002 and has been scrapped... H319 was sold to Hayes Forest..is now owned by Mt Sicker Logging from Duncan, H320 was converted to a conventional by Hayes Forest and is still around on the island here, Owned by IPL.. H321 was sold a few times and is owned by Dorman Timber Is still some where on the island here. So 6 out of 10 trucks still in one piece is a pretty good average.
Hi, where was this picture taken? i would like to have a look at that lowbed in the back ground for a model building project. Thanks Doug.
Around the Sproat Lake old M&B Shop Just drive around and keep to the left .you will see another smaller shop area there.. Drive around there and you will see it
HDX, thanks for great information as usual. Sad to hear #H318 has been scrapped. Last time I saw her was in 2010 or 2012 hooked up to old M&B debris trailer #HT40. Now it is LLL unit #T346 that is pulling the old trailer. I do hope to find/see #H89 one day.
I just found out that this HD from 1973 has been saved and restored by Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society in Port Alberni. Go visit their website or Facebook to see pictures of her. I took the pictures in 2012.
HDX, thank you for great information as usual. I do hope to find/see #H99 one day. Sad to hear #H318 has been scrapped. I think I saw her last time in 2010 or 2012 hooked to an old M&B debris trailer - M&B unit #HT40. I think it is LLL #T346 thas is pulling old #HT40 at present time.
Pictures of my favorite Hayes model - WHD. Maybe not the right thread to post these pictures as I know these have not been used in the logging industry. I think they were coal trucks.
Hayesno1 Here is a picture of the H88 (Now pictured above as H14) when fairly new . It was hauling in the winter show down in Sarita This was in feb1976
Here is sister truck from M&B Cameron Division (H89) Transferred to Shawnigan Division Once there, she was converted to a conventional and then surplused and sold to this contractor. Original driver was Jimmy Miner
HDX, Thanks for posting pictures of H88 and H89. Is this contractor stil active?
Yes, the owner of H88 (h14) is still here and I hope the owner of H89 is also still around
Another Wahkash Contracting Ltd. Hayes HDX this Summer. I don’t know anything about this Contractor. I have seen a picture of an Hayes on the internet many years ago, but this was first time this Summer to them for real
I found this picture on the internet and took a snapshot of it. It shows #H17 in front of Western Hayes parts in Port Alberni. I have a few quistions about this picture that I hope somebody on this thread can help with. I wonder if this was “just” a Hayes sales Office or did they have a shop there as well? In text to picture is Dave Forshner mentioned. Are there any relations between Dave Forshner and Forshner Bros. Trucking Ltd? Does anyone have a picture of the building/area when Hayes had it? Was there fence around? Lot of quistions but I am thinking of building a model of the building. Today it is a restaurant and I have had diner there several times. Great food.
Just for your information I have and will post picures of other Hayes trucks than logging trucks at this site under "Old iron" - please enjoy
Hayes HDX owner unknown - log trailer got an I-beam reach - shared picture
Nov 28 2019 in Langford, Westhill areas
Trevor Bennett Hauling from new school site in Langford (Westhills) Nov 28 2019 What are the chances of placing the camera in an active site on a tree branch and getting this, was only hoping to get the truck driving past not stopping in the perfect spot.
That "'I-Beam" reach is same as ones used at BCFO Renfrew Div. the #204 , #205 and #206 HDX Hayes log trucks . Those were mid 1950's Log trucks . I wonder if those trucks came with steel reach's or wooden reach's ?
I think they had steel reach but I am sure Steve knows and can verify.
By the way - many of the M&B Mack CL350 used trailers with steel I-beam reach.
They ran I-bream reaches at Kelsey Bay also. For the life of me, I cannot remember what make of trailers we ran.
Jumping in a little late you guys but Hayes still offered the "I" beam reach right up till the end of production.. Was an option.. Some of you might not know it but even on the Highway boxed trailer reaches, They were built and installed opposite to every other reach on the market they were installed with the wider side up and down instead of laying flat the way the do on any other trailer. theory behind this was if a log dropped on it The width being up and down would give it more strength and prevent bending as easily. If you ordered the "I" Beam reach with the truck, Then the saddle on top of the water tank was changed from the "V" configuration one with the two rubber pads to the square style with rubber pads on three sides. A good number of the "I"Beam reaches were used for Pup Trailers where they were not really long or adjusted a lot .The round reaches were easy to slide in and out to extend them if need be, Or shorten for short logs Just pull the pin and unwrap the air and water lines. More tinkering around with the "I"beam ones
Hayes 60 ton trailers
These were offered in either the 60 Ton or 53 Ton trailers
Cool drawings..One on the left invokes some memory's(similar design)...I didn't build a lot of the Pacific trailers but I certainly built my share of conv and pre loader trailers.Other than pounding the spring boxes on they were kind of interesting..Would get a order for 3 P-16's preloaders and 6 trailers..you knew you would be busy for a while...Good times....
60 ton Hayes trailer
HDX.....did Hayes build folding reach trailers for the BCFP winch style preloaders ????
Yes they did.. However all the trucks hauling out in the NitNat area, Be it Conventionals or the PreLoads Were all restricted to 14 foot wide bunks due to the width of the big NitNat bridge. It was an old bridge with "Gabled" sides and very narrow. By the time we got the 3 new 3412 P16's the bridge had been replaced and all the trucks /Trailers after 1975 came with the 15 foot wide bunks Needless to say, the six preload trailers that came with the 3 Pacifics were in big demand
Yes they did.. However all the trucks hauling out in the NitNat area, Be it Conventionals or the PreLoads Were all restricted to 14 foot wide bunks due to the width of the big NitNat bridge. It was an old bridge with "Gabled" sides and very narrow. By the time we got the 3 new 3412 P16's the bridge had been replaced and all the trucks /Trailers after 1975 came with the 15 foot wide bunks Needless to say, the six preload trailers that came with the 3 Pacifics were in big demand
1974 HD fresh restore.
NICE!
What was used for power?
Has a 400 Cummins and 15 spd trans. one more, shared pics
We prefer to use timber lorries from Scania AB because they are the most reliable in a comparison with all others. Or maybe it's just our habits, you know, when you drive a certain truck in forestry business and know every single button and trigger in it, and where to put all the logging equipment - it's not so simple to change your preferences to something else.
Not logging trucks but still Hayes. I found these 2 Hayes HDX bed trucks on the internet. They are for sale in Chile. The green HDX seems to have a Pacific cab
The HDX with the green cab is or at least WAS the H149 from Juskatla and then Franklin. Was sold by Hayes Forest back in 2007 There is a couple more EX Hayes Forest trucks running around down there as well Would have to see more pictures of the other HDX to maybe identify.
Thanks for info. The green color is easily recognizable. I should have said to myself that it was # H149. I'm sorry there is only one picture of each on the website.
Here is a Hayes Clipper 200 for sale. Look closely at left it looks like an old Hayes COE.
Hayesno1, It just that down there would be the last place you would expect to see one of these trucks. There is also a few other ex Hayes forest trucks down that way as well. I have seen pictures from there that would indicate at least 3-4 others there. As for the Clipper COE, You are right on the money, that is what she is alright.. From a collectors point , It would be well worth picking them both up.. I would but their distance away would be the deal breaker thanks for posting these pictures
Speaking of Hayes COE, thought I should dust off my Domans file to share a pic of #275 circa 1970s. Domans Transport had six or eight of these COEs in their fleet... in fact, I was still loading lumber on these guys back in the early 1980s. And when the scales were closed, I seem to remember loading the **** out of them. HDX... I think they are all in the boneyard now.
Well I guess a road trip is in order LOL Is Sarge still around from time to time do you know? Was good when Ken was in the Dispatch Shack Could always go for a BS with him LOL. My uncle, Andy drove for them for a long time as well as Ian, Great bunch of guys
I think Sarge comes around every once in a while... Dave L and Pudge B are retied and still make the rounds. Surely is the ned of an era!
Here's another image from the Domans file... I think this old girl might be from OB Logging from up mid-coast... they used to contract for Domans.
It sure is
Hayesno1 The two truck pictures of the HDX's for sale in Chile are Top one is EX M&B H149 and the bottom one Red & White is also EX M&B H107 from Franklin River. Had to use the Zoom thing to make sure YUP is H107
It is amazing how much is known of all the Hayes and Pacific trucks. I'm sure an encyclopedia could be written!
I do hope somebody will restore them. Not many left of the old COE's!!!
Thanks HDX, what number did #H107 have when it was running for Hayes Forrest? Was it #T1036. Some Pictures of #H149 when running for Hayes Forrest as unit #T1145. Summer 2005 at Sarita.
My friend Rob spotted this Hayes at noon time near Whitecourt Alberta it just came out of Blue Ridge.
Just a thought the cooler could be used for a 6 pack
A friend sent to me looks like the same Hayes above.
Looks to have a shorter wheelbase?
I am pretty sure it is the same truck.I think it got the same wb!
Take the crane off and it would look longer!
I'm sure you three are right
HDX with a Cab guard guess someone did not like seeing the sun. send to me by a friend Manning Alberta.
How about Gordie? I suspect he is probably retired too, by now.
HDX... these images may have already been posted earlier in the blog... but I came across them while sorting through the IWA archives in Lake Cowichan. I didn't know that H-17... well, they call it 45-115... was featured on a Canada Post stamp back in 1975. What ready peaked my interest was another story in an old MB Journal which captured the whole story. Oh... and it comes with a 1975 vintage photo... nice hair... it's so dark!! LOL!! Hope you don't mind me offering these up for everyone. I guess this makes you famous!! Here's more commentary that I dug up... The Hayes-Anderson Company built its first truck for the B.C. logging industry in 1922. Over time, its successors designed and produced many other trucks and buses but the logging truck had always been the backbone of the company. Paccar took over the firm in 1975, but the last truck built before the change is still on the road. Today, Steve Drybrough of Port Alberni, B.C., drives the Hayes HDX 45-115 logging truck purchased new by MacMillan Bloedel in 1975. Moving worry-free over treacherous mountain roads, he looks down the clouds from the cab of his 'Angel's Playmate', safe and comfortable. Angel's Playmate, the last truck ever produced by Western Hayes Truck Ltd., was completed in 1975 for MacMillan Broedel. Mr. Drybrough has been its only driver.
Today I was supposed to be traveling to BC Canada but due to Covid-19 I have had to postpone the trip until August 2021. I had otherwise planned to be 1 week on the Sunshine Coast and 3 weeks on Vancouver Island. Here I would chase off highway logging trucks and camp in the wilderness. But unfortunately it has to wait. I've learned that Wahkash has 14 Hayes HDX in their fleet now - I think it's unique. In 2014 I found 2 old Hayes HDX - old Saunders trucks - parked in a scrap yard. See pictures of them at Saunders thread post #77 as I recall. I thought they would be scrapped but got a surprise when this and several other pictures appeared on instantgram - the picture I borrowed from instantgram. One can safely say that Hayes was "built to last"
Here some pics of #2289 I captured in Summer 2014 in Port Melon and now she is a hard working truck again - amazing!!!
Pulled from the weeds and back working, now that is great. I hate to see them parked in the weeds, waiting to be scrapped. Much prettier going down the road loaded with logs!
Now that’s awesome. People can say what they like about this old stuff being crude and hard on fuel but it’s tough to beat in my opinion. Good quality steel and a green leaker. That’s about as simple as you can get! Try neglecting a fully electronic 2020 machine for decades and see what happens.
Good to see running logs again. Looks different not having a headache rack over the cab.
Hey new member long time Hayes lover and got my first HD was hoping anyone would have info or so it’s from Prince George and was owned by Stan olafson for years the Ross Baird got it in 1996 then it sat until I got it last week 5024 is the serial number
Same Truck I photoed in 2010
Yup that’s where it has sat for many years in old Ross bairds yard
Pretty cool save! Batteries, filters & fuel to fire?
It has the same look as the Baldwin Truss Hayes picker truck. Island guys might remember that one ,i havent seen it for a few years.
HD9-70 Serial #1012174 wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this truck.Bought it at an auction the beast runs and the box is operational.Dont know anything about these trucks a owners manual would be awesome if any one knows if or where something like that could be had
It might surprise you to know that Pacific Truck & Trailer is still around, although they built their last truck in 1995. They're part of Coast Powertrain now. https://www.coastpowertrain.com/pacific_truck/index.htm
Except that is a Hayes not a Pacific.
cwk266 You have an HDX NOT an HD The serial number is for an HD, Alright but that is an HDX with 46-40 rear ends. You have somewhat of a dilemma here.. What else can you find on her? Where did you buy her? Is she on the island? There was a few of these style HDX's built and bought for Contractors in the Cowichan area in this time frame.. We will work through this if you want and get to the bottom of her. Just let us know
Hi HDX.It was bought at Ritchie Bros Chilliwack.The box has a manufacture tag Reliant Truck and Trailer and thats all I could find for data plates on the truck.I appreciate your offer to dig into it but it is not really that important.Just thought I would put it out there and see if anyone recognized the beast and knew some history.A truck like this probably has some interesting stories to tell if it could lol.The manufacturer specs not so much I am not restoring it.A general operators manual for this truck or a video link to operating it would be awesome
I will keep digging on this end Too many things about the truck just ring bells, Will see what we can come up with OK?
Why not restore it? Will it be used of just for a collection?
Picked it up for the monster box excellent for land clearing hauling stumps to a burn hole on my own property so the truck does not need to be pretty or pass any inspections.Feels a bit strange with a heaping load of stumps when dumping at a certain point the box does not need the hydraulic lift and it comes to rest on rollers on the bottom of the backside of the box.Not sure if it was designed for that but the first time dumping it was off to house to change the drawers thought I was going to do a backflip over the edge and down the hole.Need to have solid ground for the rollers to land on
Just a side note to this In 1973 working for Frank Beban Logging In Gardiner Canal we had a brand new HDX with 4640 s .I was second loading and remember riding in at the end of the day,shortly after i was promoted to dump man .All cool stuff to a young guy. I have often wondered if i remembered it right as any other HDX s i was around ran planetarys . Last i saw of that truck was helping to resurect it from a bad rollover around 1977 in the Charlottes. I wonder where it ever got to
This truck was the H282 from M&B Franklin river when new in 1968
This is on my new line horse. Pretty cool.
Gimmy that! LOL
Well..... I'm always up to trade! That Madill yarder ever get sold or scrapped?
Madill Yarder for a mud Flap? That's a great trade. Maybe I can throw in a Barko.
Haha, sure! No, I was just asking about the madill
Oh It's just setting there collecting rust. Steve has no use for it anymore.
He gonna sell it or scrap it?
Oh Think he would sell it rather than scrap it, he could use the money.
Hi some treasures I recently found at my moms.
Found this HD being restored, owner said it was sitting for about 17 years but with fresh filters and battery it fired up and made it to his shop where he being slowly working on it. s/n 5348. nice to see another one saved.
That one is northern Alberta I think?
Thats right, in Manning, did look to see if I could find that P-9 but only found the HDX and P16s. HDX s/n 5675
Well it is quite a time since I posted some at HE. I guess COVID-19 is the reason why. I had booked a ticket to BC Canada in august 2020, but I had to prosponed it to 2021-then again COVID-19 stopped my trip this year so I had to prosponed it to summer 2022. So now I think 3.rd time is my lucky time. So for my planning next year I have a quistion; has anyone knowledge if there will be some kind of show / celebration of Hayes 100th Anniversary in 2022? I surely would like to go to Hayes 100th Anniversary show and as I have to rebook my ticket now, any information is appriciated - thank you. Sorry for my spelling down the memory lane 2012
Some more pics from Hayes 90th Anniversary in 2012. 2 Danes in pic 2 - Peter at top of P16 while my son is looking at the engine - he is mechanic
2 Hayes I found for sale
Steve’s #H17
Some Hayes HDX and a HD dump truck
More pics from Hayes show in 2012
This Hayes COE 100 was for sale 2 years ago. I dont know who owns it now. It is one of the last Hayes to be build. Sn#6916. It got the Peterbilt COE cab as Paccar took over ownership from Mack in 1974. Not that many Hayes COE with the Peterbilt cab left the Hayes factory.
Hayes HDX with lowbed
Rob Norman Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. pictures of #225 HDX Hayes preloader new shined up to appear at Truck Loggers Show . Early 1960's
I don't see the pics.?
video of the HDX 6x6 trucks...
So, watching the Arbegui video, leads me to the question; how many of these went overseas to places like Europe?
Rob Norman Collection T his picture is a mobile "A" Frame built in Vancouver by the Hayes Manufacturing Co. for unloading Off Highway Logging Trucks at BCFP's new Dryland sort at BCFP Renfrew Division in the early 1960's ( about 1962 ?) when the Dryland sort opened . It was used until about 1966 . This picture is taken on the Vancouver water front before it was Barged to Port Renfrew .
Les Way Collection BCFP Renfrew Division These are pictures of the Hayes Mobile "A" Frame at BCFP Renfrew Division Dryland Sort when it first started operation .
Rob Norman Collection A brand new BCFP Hayes HDX preloader in its final stages of assembly at Hayes Manufacturing's facility at Vancouver B.C. . Can't see a number on it so I don't know which division it would be sent to .
Rob Norman Collection A new BCFP HDX Hayes Conventional at Hayes Manufacturing facility Vancouver B.C. . I can't see a number so I'm not sure which Division it is headed for . Note 2 Orange preload trailers behind Hayes , probably CZ trailers .
The HDX should be easily located if still around, appears 12v Detroit in it. Twin Air intakes and twin exhaust indicate not turbo.
BCFP Nekite River Division ( head of Smith Inlet ) #6-247 HDX Hayes Summer of 1979 .
Were these private companies or government agencies? I've heard that the BC government pretty much gave the stumpage to the companies?
British Columbia Forest Products was a privately own Company with share's sold on the stock market . They owned some timber holding and logged on some Government Lands where they were charged a "Stumpage Rate " for timber removed off those lands .
The early HDX Hayes purchased by B.C. Forest Products were powered by inline 6 cylinder Cummins engines . At some point a couple were repowered with V8 Cummins . At Renfrew Division the 222 , 223 , 224 , 225 were powered by V8 Cummins . The 6-232 arrived at Renfrew Division powered by a V12 Detroit , following the 6-232's arrival the 222 , 223 , 224 , 225 were repowered with V12 Detroit engine's . As far as I know most BCFP HDX Hayes were powered by V12 Detroit engine's after 1969 . When BCFP started putting bigger loads on their trucks and hauling loads from the west coast of Vancouver Island to Lake Cowichan on adverse grades , some of the trucks powered by V12 Detroit's were up graded to twin turbo's .
Are there any camps left on the island?
Good Question ! There are still Logging Operations on the Island , but the camps that were off the beaten path and semi isolated , all have better roads into them and the Cook Houses and Bunk Houses have been closed down and now have the crew commute from where ever they live to logging operations . There maybe a couple on the North end of the Island , that still have a cook house and bunk houses . There are areas on the North West coast of Vancouver Island that are still isolated with no road access that would have a camp with Cook House and Bunk House's . The last time I was at a camp out of Gold River for a ten and four shift as a relief driver . The camp was a Trailer Complex set up on a Barge .
Most of the camps I was in for Columbia were float camps. We only had 3 or 4 land camps
Just found this video
I got this flyer from a very good friend. I have just booked/payed my ticket to BC so I can participate the show on The Island. Hopefully I will see/meet some of you at the “Hayes 100” Anniversary show in Port Alberni.
Here is a link to a Rayoniers log trucks safety driving from the early 50s. Look at Hayes model 20-19 - 20 indicating a 200 hp engine. Later you will see Mack LM models and at the end a Sterling/White from the early 50’s.
I found this video Yesterday. 3 Hayes trucks going for auction - old M&B unit #H28 and #H89 from Shawnigan Div. Both HDX models but as I recall #H89 was original an HDX preloader that was converted to a standard logging truck. Yellow truck is an HD model. I do hope they will survive and put in to service or restored. They seem to be in pretty good shape. Well less than 3 month I will visit the Island and go hunting off highway trucks and other logging equipment
Hayes HDX preloader for sale at ForesTech. I am not sure but it could be old M&B #H321 or (#H318) but for sure HDX knows
The old HD Hayes at the Auction has US MIL truck Double Reduction axles and suspension. Sad to see these sitting and being sold, is logging slowed that far back N of the 49th?
Hayes HD
It is the old H319 Hayesno1
Thanks HDX for correction/information. I knew it was one of the 6 sister trucks
HDX - old Ruthie is still going strong
HDX - old Ruthie is still going strong
Thompson HDX with lowbed
Thompson HDX with lowbed
Well you may think its an KW but it is actually an HDX look at frame but sure new KW cab
Old Saunders truck waiting for new tires or maybe this time she will be doomed?
So we now have a tandem front axle P-16 and a HDX.....Very cool
Sorry it is a KW frame - I just met the guy who made SOW001 and the Pacific P16 - both twin steers. H64 was made for a show truck as well. Really nice work - credit to the man and sorry for not getting his name.
Sorry here comes pic of “Ruthie” - she still looks awsome
Wakash #4 in shop for changing worn out Cummins to Detroit 60 series and Will be painted then before going back to work
Before #4 went into the shop
HD model. Old “Hazel” converted to a tractor. She used to be a dump truck. She must be from the 60s or earlier with those square door windows. She is maintained very well.
Well looked after by owners and drivers, great photo's
Thanks - HDX with Pacific cab
HDX with lowbed
Nice HD logging truck from Prince George
Here is an HD at the Hayes show. I have never seen her before - look closely you will see it is 6x6 and how about that rad/vent
HDX Wahkash unit #5
Looks like it has a twin turbo 12V71 in it..
Vickers power steering on the one.
Wahkash #14 HDX - their lowbed truck
From the Hayes 2022 show. Old Hayes WHD back in Port Alberni again
front wheels on the WHD don't match
They are the same wheels and tires. 14:00 X25 Tires and Dayton Rims. You turn them around when you install them on the front hubs. In the position it is in on the front right now, It would be the same as the rear inside tires But turn it around and it is the same as outside rear tires
I think he is talking about the hubs.The centers look different but i think its just the angle of the camera..
1974 Hayes HD dump truck, owner Chris Dods. I think it is Jim Falconers old #3
Another Hayes HD dump truck
They are so badass! thanks!
Hayes HD logging truck
An Hayes HDX set forward axle dump truck. I think it is an old CZ truck. I saw it many many years ago when Timberwaste had her #38-51. I like that red-orange colour
Interesting dump box, was that built from a tank car or tank of some sort?
Sorry I dont know but I have seen several off highway trucks with that kind of dump box. I have only seen one name on box, SSW. Maybe someone can further information.
I knew I had seen her before. It is old Kwatna #LT004. She was for sale back in 2010 - great to see she is back at work
How about this old Hayes HD 1957 bed truck - now a dump truck
That Gravel / Rock Box looks to be a recycled water or oil tank off a rail road car . When the Logging Rail Roads were shut down most of the equipment was cut up for scrap , but a lot of "Tanks" found new uses .
Hi Al, it was so great to meet you again and Thank you for showing up at the show and sharing your information/knowledge about BC logging industri/history. Well you might be right but I think the box is to wide to be a railway tank car but I have been wrong so many times before
Good point , but I'm pretty sure it was some kind of a tank .
Hayes WHX - my favorite Hayes model
Sorry - I can´t wrote correct - it is an WHD - 40” wide frame
Fun to see this old HD still going strong and kept in really good condition. I remember way back in 2005 when I followed her for over an hour before she stopped and dumped a load and had a chat with the owner.
8x4 Hayes HD from Duncan at the Hayes show this year - she is awsome. Can anyone move that “man” with the hat for you guys who can’t regonize him - it is Hank S. Great to meet him again after 10 years…
Another Hayes HD at the show
Any one get any pictures of the Euclid truck in the background??
The HD Hayes in picture is a very unique truck the late Richard Neva ( unfortunately we lost Richard earlier this year ) was a very talented man great driver , mechanic , welder and fabricator . He was an owner operator with a logging truck around the Cowichan Valley for many years . When "third axles" were appearing in the logging industry , Richard made a "Dog Logger" out of his two axle pole trailer . He ran smaller diameter tires on his trailer so he could get more pay load , due to the extra height he gained . The HD Hayes in the picture was to be his last logging truck . He wanted a solid truck that had no fiberglass to crack . He found a Hayes with a good cab and built a truck from the ground up . New frame rails and X member's new suspension Cat engine new trans . When the truck was nearing completion many things changed in the Cowichan Valley concerning Independent Log Haulers , Richards Contact disappeared and his will to finish the Hayes also disappeared . Richard had done most of the wrenching and welding on the truck himself , but at times his son Scott and friend Lance Lingren had pitched in to help along the way . Richard had gotten the Hayes running for the Hayes 75th show at Port Alberni but it hadn't done much since . Lance and Scott got the Hayes running for Richards Memorial Service which was shortly before the Hayes 100th at Port Alberni . Trevor Bennett who owns the green twin steer self loading Hayes HD and several other friends encouraged Scott to take the Hayes to Alberni for the 100th . Richard would be proud , The crew is getting smaller RIP Richard .
Richard Neva's last logging truck . By this time he had a "Jeep" and "Dog Logger" he was known to get some of the best "Pay Loads" with this axle combination .
A very special Hayes truck as it got chain drive. That’s the only chain drive Hayes ever made. Pics from museum and show
Hayes WHD model - I think it is for sale now. I am pretty sure HDX can add further information about her.
An old Hayes Clipper 100 (second generation)from the 60`s. I do not know anything about her but again HDX might be able to add a few comments..
It has a 8v71 that part is for sure. Cool old truck though.
In 1960 Old Hazel was one of two brand new trucks bought by Apex Hauling Ltd. in Port Alberni, Ray Stern and Connie Hebert.
Seen some Crown Zellerbach logging trucks full of logs. With logo's still on doors. Five trucks in total Omaha orange color scheme.
1970 Hayes HDX 45-115 (Serial #4022) Originally owned by Saunders & Sons as Unit #K50, hauling logs on the Island for years until operation was shutdown at Mac Millan in the 1980s. From there it was purchased by Quintette Coal Mine in Tumbler Ridge BC, and used to haul Mine equipment until the operation shutdown. At one point the truck was repainted Green. Finally Northland (Laprairie) in Tumbler ridge BC purchased the Truck/lowbed, restored and put back to work as a Support Truck for off highway hauling mining equipment for Canuma Coal. The lowbed that came with the truck is being restored, and I will share photos once it’s done! She’s a beautiful unit, and will be used for many more years! Please comment if anyone has more information to fill in the blanks on the history of Unit K50, or any photos during Saunders time owning it!
Great info and welcome to HE Forum. As I recall she was painted purple before green. I think I have posted a few pics of at this thread
Very interesting - please post pics of them
Hayes HDX with lowbed - Campbell River 2022
Look at page 9 #179 at this this thread - this might be the same truck. Pic was taken at Tumbler Ridge I think in 2007 or 2010
Can confirm, the Mechanic who was apart of restoring the truck said it was purple/red when acquired!
Hayes HDX Summer 2022
#3035 is Wahkash #12 Hayes HDX
Here is an old girl - HDX dump truck - I think it has 4640 rears
Old Hayes HDX preloader all most scrapped
How about these 2 HD line horses. I “Love” them.
Old Ruthie - Hayes HDX dump truck. Thank you to A. Wood company for getting permit to access their trucks and taking pictures of them. She is very maintained.
Hayes from the 40’s waiting to be restored
Hayes HD in Christmas colours - Timbermill Logging #H18
Hayes HD - good to see her again - last time I saw her was in 2007 or 2012
Hayes HDX
Hayes HDX 8x4 bed truck and Hayes HD dump truck. Yellow KW beside HD is a 1962 Canadian built logging truck
Lima shovel loading Hayes truck. Rayonier, Ltd. Moresby Camp, Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia, 1963 (via Forest History Society, Durham, NC)
I just posted a picture of M&B P16 wit a hugge debris trailer at Pacific thread. Here some pics of same trailer but another tractor - HDX preloader old M&B #H318 when she was running for Lake Lamere in 2005. I do not know what happend to the Hayes tractor but trailer was still in LLL service in Summer 2022 but sadly I was not allowed to take any pictures of trailer and other LLL equipment. Can any add some information what happend to #H318?
Another HDX I saw in Summer 2022
Left HDX logging truck loaded with 2 trailers in Campbell River in 2010 and same truck in Summer 2022 with lowbed
I don’t think it is a WHD model but a HD model
Hayes HD dump trucks. Owner John Foster.
Gord Isacson Photo 's
looks to be the biggest load of wood yet
Hayes HD dump trucks
Hayes HDX preloader - CZ truck I guess
I have been looking for these pictures so many years - I knew I took these pictures close to Dawson Creek in 2007 but now I found them on an old DVD. Not a logging truck but for sure a Hayes HD dump truck
HDX with 2 trailers. Ex M&B #H49
BCFP Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS #6-232 HDX Hayes Preloader shortened up to haul shot logs .
Sales brochure listing is from 1988
Dennis Dystant HDX #14
HDX #H17
Before and after - HD is at display at Sayward Junction. Original a dump truck so thats why it looks so odd as a logger
Hayes HDX logging truck and one with lowbed. Stacks has been to approx. half size
Different Hayes HD trucks
Millstream Timber HD Hayes circa. 1977 - Ucluelet Loggers Sports - Driver: Robert Taron with Stephanie Denis (nee Mountain)
Hello fellow Hayes enthousiasts, Im a scale model builder from the Netherlands and I’m building a Hayes HDX1000 at the moment. The kit I have is a old one from MTFAco but it’s not complete, do you have any information or detail pictures from the chassis, rear /front axle, spring leafs, water/fueltank. And the logging trailer details. I have lots of pictures from the internet but they are almost from the front or side from the truck/trailer, rarely from the back . Every help is much appreciate. Marco Wingelaar The Netherlands
I can't say that I do but I'm sure somebody here does
Just a few from rear
These are from a preloader, but I dont think you model is preloader
A few more
Thank you for the info and the beautiful pictures
More of same HDX
Hayes HD with Prentice loader
I got from a friend Rob in Grande Prairie Alberta.
Marco Wingelaar The only 2 pictures I have that may help you
Oooof, I think my back just went out again. Ed
Makes my Kidneys hurt looking at those!!. Spray nozzles for brake cooling pretty prominent.
What about the nuts, those start to sag.
Back when men were real men.
And allot of them died young.
Wife keeps those in her handbag, safe and soft! In olden history days dated what later turned out to be a nympho, kept mine shriveled and empty to a point it actually hurt. Bad riding Truck would have been a Godsend in comparison!! She was insatiable, a simple touch during sleep and she was ready, woke up ready, back from work ready and as did anything together was a switch on mode. I only last three months with that.
Got a question, what is that rod for the red arrow is pointing at?
Cooler.
I take it then there was some kind of pump and tank to spray water on the drums when going down hill?
That's what that tank is behind the cab on Hayes in photo above.
There was a valve beside the drivers seat. You opened it at the top of the hill and it drained water onto the brake drums. cracked and broken brake drums were common on the off highway trucks.
This is in a Pacific.
That's a pretty elaborate set up.
As I remember when I rode with Steve in H17 he figured it took about 300 gallons of water per trip to cool the brakes. Didn't want to put it on till they were warm, as wet brakes weren't much good. Wait to long and the water turns to steam, and cracks brake drums.
Aren't they called a "Christmas tree" or something like that?
On most Off Highway and some Highway Logging Trucks there is a water tank behind the cab . The water is to spray water on the brake drums ( that little 3/8 pipe amid at the brake drum in above photo ) . After the water tank is filled and the cap on top of the water tank is secure , there is a little shut off valve on an air line , that when open sends air to the water tank . As the trailer of a logging truck going down hill is higher than the water tank on the truck , about 10 pounds air is used to push the water to the trailer brake drums. ( when one parks the truck at the end of a shift with a full water tank , that valve must be closed as if air bleeds off during night water will be pushed back through air system ) The water travels from the water tank , up through floor in center pipe with yellow handled dump valve . When the yellow handle is lifted up water flows through the front pipe with a tap valve going down through the floor to the Truck rear brakes and water travels through the back pipe with a tape valve going down through the floor to the Trailer brakes . The water valves are to control the amount of water flowing to the brake drums . After reaching the bottom of the hill the dump valve is closed . When stopping the truck at Dryland sort or shop the water is cleared out of water lines using a blast of air with the brass "Tee" with a black button facing forward on top of pipe .
Long time since someone posted pics of Hayes. Hayes HD
They showed the Hayes 100th anniversary show on Highway thru Hell. Cool looking old Hayes bus. Mission Towing had their Hayes wrecker there.
Hayes HDX with lowbed
Just a few pics of some HDX
The 90 deg. exhaust elbows on 6-246 look out of place. It would look better with exhaust tips similar to the bottom pic. maybe a little bit longer on the outlet side after the bend.
From what I know about the Hayes HDX that's the they did the exhaust. Does 246 not belong Mr. HDX himself...That would explain the paint and the pipes...
I've seen other pics. of them like that. Just think it would look a little better if they were more stylized with a shorter tip or even cut on an angle.
Welder Dave The exhaust pipes are the same configuration as they were when delivered from the factory when new.. I can appreciate your opinion on the straight pipes right out of top of the 4 inch mufflers. I have to admit that making them back to the original version is more time consuming and expensive to make them and then install them so they look right... However, Having them straight up would require using those annoying Rattling rain caps!!! Well as you know We do get a measurable amount of rain here and it has a tendency to go down into the mufflers This sounds trivial but over a weekend and lots or rain When you fire them up, It blows that black residue straight up and all over the place. Then during Fire season there is these Spark Arrestor devices bolted to the tops of the pipes... It all comes down to personal choices .... I tend to like the more stock original type. With the single exhaust like the 5 inch single Donaldson used with the 3408's or Cummins , Then YES by all means The "Rabbit eared style tip out is deluxe. And I do add that style to all my other trucks. The 246 is just a nostalgic time machine to me.
I was just thinking the horizontal part of the 90 not so long and maybe cut on a 30 or 45 deg. angle closer to the bend. Would still keep rain out but would look more like a special tip than an equal length plain 90. Actually the horizontal looks longer than the vertical. Some big stacks on conventional trucks are like that.I do understand making it look like it came from the factory. It probably wasn't a big priority in designing the trucks.
Thank you
Thank you for sharing these great pictures and information about this beautiful Hayes trucks , for me as a scale model builder it is pure gold.
HDX...I see you are using band clamps on the pipes. My Grizzly exhaust and my Mustang (both cars) exhaust is 100% band clamps.. Stainless,perfect seal,more clamping power and unlike the standard clamp they don't crush the pipe...You can take it apart later..
Yes, It works very well and like you say, Can at least work with them. I guess I should have turned the inside one around so the bolts are out of sight. Will tweek it next time I'm at her.
That loader/forklift is a interesting combination. *
Was the WHD a rarer model? I don't recall seeing that model before.
I believe that the WHD was not as common as the HD or HDX. A WHD is kinda size wise in-between those two models, but is still an off highway truck.
The Off Highway HD Hayes or WHD Hayes had a spring steel frame , unlike the HDX Hayes with an "I" beam frame . I have never been involved with purchasind a logging truck , But I would think the HDX Hayes would be a more expensive Logging Truck to purchase . Pictured is a WHD Hayes that was purchased by the contractor BCFP bought out at Nekite River . Well used and abused and wrecked at lest once before I drove it .
The spring steel frame was likely more difficult to work with. I'd guess they punched most of the holes though.
Looks like the one on the old brochure!!
The rails were formed I take it, I would guess grade 10 no less.
I have probably seen the bottom HD Hayes CPS (Canadian Puget Sound) #2133 on the road between Jordon River and Port Renfrew many times .
I wonder how many of those cab over trucks they built?
Thought it was a Californian thing.
IIRC there were some 352 Pete cabs used also.
Can't make out the name on the door to see if I recognize the company or if they're still in business.
Found this on line. ..do not know if it was posted before,but found it interesting!
Is there any published list of the Hayes trucks built during the years of World War II?
Try the hayes truck website.
Couple of those must be mid 60's by the style of doors used.
That blue and white HD for sale I took that picture in 2000 in Hope
A little correction - if you look at Timberwaste truck it got square door windows. Hayes went from those square windows mid 60s. I have serial number of her somewhere. As I recall she was an old BCFP truck. Doors on Dystant truck is Pacific doors. Doors as in pictures #1 and #4 were used up to 1975 on HD, HDX, WHD and WHDX
Picture showing the diffence between old and new Hayes HD door. Left is the old one.
A typical KW door for that time.
Sure wish I had one of those for a dump truck. Could haul a lot more than 10 or 12 yds. and lots of ground clearance.
When HDX was introduced they had Hayes Clipper doors see attached picture but only 6-8 HDX had that kind of doors before. I know HDX knows the details. Clipper doors were used on the first Hayes COE model as well. Picture #3. Pic #2 is Cameron’s Hayes Clipper. Very nice and awsome truck.
Know that one. * I like this one even better, met the owner at Portman Scale years ago. *
Oh yes I met him once as well in Wahington when he was heading back to BC. Great guy. I think it must have been in 1986
How about this - I would call it first generation of the Hayes Clipper. It’s 1955 model
Can't remember his name--but he and his wife were found murdered, a real sad deal. IIRC his first name was Arnie. Maybe not.
Mexicana--operated out of Vancouver BC. *
Got a screenshot of this awesome rig while watching a series of videos on YouTube. Wonder what a rig like this would weigh
1935 Hayes. *
Came across these while viewing a Hillcrest Lumber Mesachie Lake photo album recently posted online by Nigel Robertson. Not sure of the year of manufacture of these two old girls... but I think truck number 4 is from the late fifties... a classic! Guessing number 7 is an early HDX and number 4 is a WHD. Thoughts anyone?
Yes both are early Hayes as they got square windows doors. No#7 is an HDX and No#4 is a HD. Awsome pics
#4 was a 1953 HD originally ordered by L Traer through Hillcrest Lumber and for whatever reason, Stan Hallorin Got it. Not sure but think Hillcrest Lumber might have had something to do with the Ordering /Purchasing of some of these trucks and equipment. Maybe somebody down that way knows how it worked... #7 was ordered by Hillcrest and lettered with #7 on the doors ...For sure was a March/1957 HDX, and it did come with the 4600 rear diffs and 12 foot bunks,
1949. *
Either 18" or 24" stakes. The first move from cheeseblocks. Timber is getting "smaller".... Good photo.
Where was that pic taken?
Was Hall Scott known for fire truck engines?
Absolutely.
I thought so. Were they common in other trucks and we're they a good HD engine?
As common as the common cold, a good engine for it's time and place in history.
Did you work on any of them?
Hall Scott was waning in the early/mid 50's, diesel power had finally been accepted. Hall Scott was done by 59, too much weight and too much petrol killed them on a HP ratio. I never worked on any.
I worked for an outfit in the mid 70s that had a war surplus tank retriver for a carrier under a Madill 009 . a 6 cyl Hall Scott dual spark plugs ,giant saddle tanks to pack enough gas to make her up the hill. We had it in the town shop and got it ready to barge out to camp,its backfires were like hand grenades going off. We drove it on the barge late at night with a P&H shovel, some pickups and a bunch of new tools for the shop. Got word from camp a few days later the one of the pickups was gone ,the shovel was jammed against the side wall of the barge and the Madill was dragging its fairlead in the water off the stern of the barge .Sucked losing the pickup it was a1972 F250 4X4 that the gas mechanics claimed had been logger proofed and was carrieing all the the shop stuff,new enerpac porto powers ect..The only thing that saved the Madill was those big fat saddle tanks on the tank retriver,they molded to the edge of the barge and prevented total loss. probably squirted enough gas out to give the greenies a conniption fit.The west coast of Vancouver Island gets a bit rough sometimes.Sorry for getting off topic from Hayes.
Here's a collection of Hayes from same owner.
More.
And a sleeper.
skadill, took me a bit to find Pringles Hayes pictures.
What engine is that?
It sure looks like an International DT466
+1 Interesting choice for an engine swap.
That's kind of what I thought with the blue paint. A little under powered if it is a DT466.
I see the Allison T handle shifter mounted on the dash as well.
These are two trucks Reg Dorman bought new about 1970. I took this photo in Dad’s (Alex Falconer) yard just after we brought them home from Nanaimo. They were looking tough, but by the time Dad got finished touching them up in his shop they were looking pretty fine.
Regarding the weight an HDX will pack. In the late 60's early 70's I was boom foreman at Mahatta River at that time we weigh scaled all loads. The companies were trying to get the Forest Service to allow just weigh scaling although we got to averaging less than 3% correction (scalers are allowed 3%). The Forest Service never would allow weigh scaling only. My point being I can tell you this we changed at that time from FBM to metric scale. As I was involved in this for some time I can tell you this. One thousand board feet of wood averages 4.6 cubic meter. The average of north Vancouver Island wood all species was about 5 tons to the thousand. Consider a boom stick which is about 1000FMB is 5 tons. There has been a lot of talk on a face book site called "Old and New logging pictures" as to the weight of loads. Many guys are a way out. Sometime back a picture was shown of a truck load in Kingcome Inlet some time ago. About the biggest load you'd ever see. The scaler who scaled that load said it was just over 151 meters (it was mostly spruce) so that load would weigh about 150 tons.
J129
Boy that was a clean machine
Photo taken in July 1986 at Ferguson Bay log sort, near Juskatla, Haida Gwaai. I was driving rock trucks for L&R Welding that summer. No other information about the Hayes, unfortunately.
Mid-Fifties - Driver Ari Z. MacMillan-Bloedel Hayes H-58. I believe this yard was on south Vancouver Island, either Shawnigan Division, or Copper Canyon?
I should mention that as we were hauling ballast for the roads, the sight of one of these barreling towards us was always a cause for concern. They had the right-of-way, so our job was to get the hell out of the way as fast as possible. Turn-outs were sometimes few and far between, so backing up accurately, quickly, and for long distances was mandatory! Thankfully, the Volvos we drove had four speeds forward and four speeds reverse. Big sigh of relief when safely in a turn-out!!
I like the "Seattle Stakes." They were the first move from cheese blocks. First made by Pacific Car and Foundry (long before PACCAR) in response to the beginning of smaller wood. Thus the name "Seattle Stakes."
Welcome to the forum RebelRob. Great pics., we all love great pictures and the stories to go with them.
Well took me a minute to go thru this thread glad I did. Finally was able to purchase a hayes dump truck from my friends in Squamish bc. They have been previously mentioned here as they have quite the collection of hayes/ kw off highway trucks for their mine outside of pemberton. Also they have decided to sell the twin truck for a hefty price if anyone is looking.
Just found this video of a WHD Hayes
I remember I took that picture of the blue/white HDX Way back in 2000
Part of the endless W.B. collection i have had for few years now. I think there are lots that are probably yours.
Any idea how many Hays are still working? Or, at least operational? It's been what, 50 years since they quit.
The Blue Hayes is still around owned by Dale Barton, picture was taken here in Princeton. Dale is north of Cache Creek.
This is one of four sister trucks. All were spec'd out the same and built and bought by Dravo Corp in 1970. Went to Soda Springs Idaho. Originally built with a 1693 TA Cat engine 5960 Allison trans and 90,000 Clark Planetary rear ends. I see it now has a 3408 V8 Cat in her I got pictures of her but can't post them cause no way to upload them right now... Soon though!!!
Oh yes quite a few I think. The picture of the yellow HDX parked beside M&B #166 I took in in 2000 in Campbell River at Tom Turners shop. I hope name is right if not please correct me. That was allways a good spot to find off highway logging trucks. Skadill; I follow you on YouTube. It’s amazing the “finds” you have Found. Keep up your great work. Looking forward to come back to Canada.
HDX in Summer 2022