Found this one last week up the road. Never heard of a Linkbelt yarder, anyone else seen one of these before?
It isn't a yarder. It's a Link-Belt LS-98TL crane conversion with widened drums, Madill-type guyline winches, Dye (reinforced for logging) boom, etc. There was an outfit in Spokane that converted hundereds of these in the 1970's and 80's. I know it has a sticker that says 'yarder', but stickers are cheap. This same thing was done with Bucyrus-Erie, Lima, and all types of cranes. There are a couple of things lacking- drum capacity, braking capacity, etc. They work OK for short distance roads and thinning jobs, but just OK. Here are some pics of an LS-110 currently for sale in Eugene, same type of deal.
I concur with contract logger have seen all kinds my favorite was northwest 40D with skagit drums.
Boy, those all look pretty new. Hydraulic drives and standard car bodies. It used to be that a TL was a high walker with chain drives. The gantry on that second machine looks real interesting as well. The other thing that strikes me is the small counterweights. I had to modify a couple of 98s by putting on the mounts to fit the 108 counterweights. You could have put the counterweights on two of the pictured machines into one 108 unit. Contract logger has got to be correct in that the pictured machines are cranes. The machines that I am familiar with were TLs that originally had the big heel booms. Thanks for the picts.
Oh well, thought I found a white elephant:beatsme Did get pictures inside of the cab as well.
Those Link Belts were extremely popular on the east side of the Cascades. Northern Idaho and North Eastern Washington seemed to be the right place for them. Potlatch Lumber, when they had their own crews going used nothing but Link Belts. When they decided to contract out their logging, everybody bought their old machines and put them to work. Henderson Logging in Lewiston, Idaho has 5 or mabey more of those old Potlatch machines. Pretty much every outfit that works for Potlatch uses an old 98 as a yarder. The further north you go in the state, the more you find. I know of at least 8 in the Sandpoint, Priest River area. Even seen one painted in Skagit colors once, to try and fool someone! Some on ruber, some on tracks. Maki in Orfino, ID did alot of the conversions back in the day. There was (is) a company in Spokane, that for the life of me I cant remember the name of, that also did conversions, as well as supplying parts just as resently as 5 years ago. They work well under 1000 feet. Quick to set up. And pretty simple to keep running. Cheap to. Im pretty sure thats why they were so popular over here!
Link-Belt Conversions Here's one with a fresh re-build, the 'highwalker' (pads and rails) conversion, and single-bar grousers- which were used due to moving around in the snow all the time. Still has the original older low cab and controls- which could be a bonus if the operator is having to unbell his own turns- I've been in that situation and by about noon you realize how much difference that ladder makes!
Regarding my last complaint- here's a good shot of an LS98TL converted for yarding, with the factory cab raised for visibility, but boy, when you're up-and-down all day it gets tiresome to say the least! You need a chaser even if you're only getting 3 or 4 loads a day, which with these setups is what you usually shoot for.
Link-Belts I run two Link-Belt LS98HC's in the Black Hills; 60' booms, 1,500' 3/4" skyline, 1,500' 5/8" mainline. Both on cranecarriercorp 4 axle undercarriages. 1 has a 6v92 Detroit/4speed Allison and the other a 3306 Cat and a Mechanical 2 speed. I get all my parts and service from Chuck at Industrial Welding and Machine in Spokane, He is basically the father of the Link-Belt Speeder Yarder. They definitely aren't REAL yarders but they're cheap and they work. YouTube - Link-Belt LS98HC
I have worked around Skagit, Washington, Thunderbird swing yarders as well as Link-Belts and haven't noticed the problems listed above with the Link-Belts. They will get 80-100% the production of the "real yarders" with half the operating cost.
People started making these crane conversions in the late 1960's. Used to be hundreds of them around. Trouble was they were very slow, had friction (weak) non-water brakes, undersized rotek bearings, very little line capacity, and on and on and on. So most guys started with this until they could afford a yarder, then they bought GT's or 071's. Something that would yard 24" to 30" wood from 2,000' plus. These crane conversions are OK at best, and only out to 700 feet, and only in little wood. If loggers felt these machines would log with a 'real yarder 80% to 100% of the time', then the yarder manufacturers wouldn't have been able to sell a yarder since mid- 1972 or thereabouts. The cranes are cheap and yarders are very expensive... I dont know anyone using a TSY-255 or Madill 120, 124, etc that would trade you straight-across so they could save that extra 50% either. Your statement is absurd to me on several levels. Weyerhaeuser was that largest single owner/user of LS98TL's in the United States in the 1970's. When the Madills, Skagits, and Washingtons came out Weyerhaeuser couln't get rid of these things fast enough, and to this day they don't wish they had them back! I'm not trying to start a fight, just encourage you to think about that. I do concede that this machine will easily outlog a Christy, Koller, Skylead, and lots of other small and very expensive yarders built today! If I were thinning or logging farmer patches, this rig would be my choice above all those machines for sure! And this machine looks particularly nice. Someone loves and takes very good care of it! :cool2
Have you ever worked around a Link Belt like the one you have posted pictures of? That particular machine does have the water brakes you say are lacking. Rosboro Lumber had Industrial Welding out of Spokane set that machine up with water brakes, gantry, guyline winches, a 400 horsepower 60 series detroit, transmission, 5800 Link Belt hydraulic undercarriage and 1600 foot capacity drums. (A far cry from the old line shovels you are reminicing about Weyerhauser using) They were logging small old growth with that machine. You are correct that they wont yard over 2000 feet, but wrong about a Link Belt working just ok. Three to four loads a day? I guess we better quit yarding after ten in the morning.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Your saying machine upgraded 30 years after it was built is superior in performance of the original? I sure as hell hope it is, if not, you got screwed. It they were that good, "back in the day", there would still be many in use, thats not the case, sorry. Ed
Not trying to start a fight neither, just relating my experiences. Alot of people have tried yarding with cranes, cable log loaders without all the proper modifications, and they are slow and work as terrible as you describe. I admit the Link-Belts will not yard as much as a 255, 123 in the right conditions, but in the average second growth timber that we log most of the time, the properly modified Link-Belts will yard the same size turn just as fast as the GT-3s, 155 TB. I have worked around all three.
Here is another Link Belt 98 set up by Industrial Welding in the background. Again, doesn't look like a three to four load a day operation to me.
Heres a couple more I found on Acme Carriage's website. The first two are just converted cranes. But the third one is a full on Industrial Welding conversion.
I've been running a delimber behind one of these 98's for about 4 years now and I agree with Eric1975,these are a high production machine for the timber we log.We average 12-15 loads a day in summer and 9-11 in winter using a 3 man crew(operator,hooker in the brush and chaser on the landing).While these are not a long reach machine(2000' max)they'l log 98% of the ground in our area.Also cheap to run and quick to set up.I have never worked around a real yarder so not an expert at all but I do know that the outfit I work for makes good money running it and thats the main thing.
It may not have been built as a yarder .But the 7220 combination grapple yarder converted by cypress was just a shovel to start with, the same with the TL6 was loader used for yarding.If it yards its a yarder good or bad.
I hauled logs and did a little logging for Rosboro, was there 17 years (16 too many) ,hauled a lot of there company sides. The 110 linkbelt you refer to originaly belonged to Christian logging, Rosboro bought it and a o46 slackline at their auction. They loaded with it awhile then converted it I think because they had such good luck with the 98 they had. They could have bought a nice Thunderbird for what they had into it. My brother put the engine in it as well as several other series 60 detroits in 5800 linkbelts. They put the 5800 hyd. undercarriage under it because with the witchitas there was no room for the travel frictions. They had to run two hyd. pumps off the allison transmission to run the travel. the undercarriage also made it real tall and top heavy,I followed it down the highway when they lowboyed it to a new job, I have never seen a trailer lay down in a corner and drag the frame and not tip over scared the crap outa me!! The machine was fast I'll give it that but with 470 horse and only 2 guylines it made me kinda nervous. I was standing by the fire with the chaser one day when they were yarding some big old growth, in a dead handup standing on the tips of its tracks I think everyone was wishing they had their slackline or alot more guylines. Love all the equipment pictures logging or just sitting hopefully I'll get back to doing what I enjoy soon keep up the good work!
98 Link-Belt """""""""""""""""yarder""""""""""""""""""" http://www.5min.com/Video/The-Idaho-Logging-and-Timber-Industry-259883118
Eric1975, Thanks for the cool link.
The logger in the video bought a TSY50 and parked the Linkbelt
Well good for him The Link-Belt must have made him some money.
I stumbled across this picture while looking to see how other folks set up link belts as yarders. This actually belongs to my cousin. I've worked under it and I've got to say that i prefer this yarder over a skagit gt3. If anyone has any questions about it i couldd answer them. It was completely redone by my cousin with a little help from myself. And the comment about these things being slow doesn't apply to this one. It can pull a turn at approximately 35 miles an hour
Welcome Spook! Welcome to the forum Spook, you may have to post another time or two before you can post pictures, then log out & back in. You should then be good to go....that unsolicited advice comes from someone who still can't do the pic bit..... good luck on it, I really look forward to seeing the Linkbelt in action.
Love to see yarders in action! Thanks Eric1975 for the video link.......I agree it may have started out as a loader, but it's 100% yarder now. 12-15 loads a day is doing well in todays timber, many many loggers would like to be putting out that kind of production. Some of the timber being logged today it's tough to do. I agree with Log Jr, two guylines in a hard pull can sure make you pucker, but I've worked on towers with eight guylines, and you still pucker. If it were easy and safe and cushy anyone could do it. It's part of why we do what we do........not because it's easy, but because it is hard. Thanks, got more? We'd love to see pictures, specs, etc.....thanks again. And hey, there's a thread for loaders too...
Redwood Climber, I have worked around quite a few yarders and people for that matter. There is always going to be the guys that have the cult following of the Thunderbird brand. There is even one guy I heard of that has the logo tattooed on his back.LOL More power to them! Thats great! Just dont come on here, talking a bunch of crap about a machine you know NOTHING about. I've seen alot of guys just like "former contract logger" that have all the answers to everything. Funny thing is, that most of the time, they either work for someone else, or have went broke trying to make it on their own. I am not trying to act like I have all the answers, because I definately dont, but I have found what works for me. My Link-Belt makes me money and that is all that counts. As contract logger put it, "cranes are cheap and yarders are very very expensive". Exactly my point. That is why north idaho is full of Link-Belts. They are cheap to buy, and operate. If contract loggers points were valid, the place would be full of Thunderbirds. I guess it all comes down to one thing, theres more than one way to skin a cat.
He is right. After all, the Amish are still plowing with oxen, and some people enjoy logging with horses. I guess it just comes down to how much technology you choose to embrace, or not. One thing is for sure, my inbox fills up with people looking for swing yarders. I have 2 LS-98's (standard configuration with Young booms) and a TL-6 on rubber I'd sell pretty cheap, but never any takers on those machines. Everyone wants a 255 or TTY-70 these days....fortunately for me, too- or I'd be pretty hungry I suppose.
I'm sure someone that talks the way you do about Thunderbird, probably wouldnt sell much other than Thunderbird. lol
And you are right, single lever controls would be a wonderful convenience, but at the end of the day, I dont think they will get any more logs up the hill.
It's all good! I like yarders of all kinds and would enjoy watching your Link-Belt for a day. If it burns diesel I'm a fan. Sooner or later the Feds will make everybody conver thier yarders to solar-power or you'll be forced have a windmill on the gantry.
My favorite machines are the big slacklines of the early 1970's- Skagit, Washington, Berger, and Madill. The Thunderbirds are just newer and faster, not half as big or powerful. Everybody now wants newer and faster I guess. 35MPH turn speed is really, really impressive with that Link-Belt!
I guess I'm forgeting the point of this forum......... for us to view photos and conversation about the heavy iron we all enjoy. lol
Well I just sat down and re-read this thread again and there is no doubt that I came off as arrogant and dismissive toward your yarder. I apologize for that right here and right now, and I enjoy every single picture posted in these threads and I sure don't want to offend anyone. I say things as they come into my mind and walk off without thinking about what I said or how. The last thing I want is to irritate or annoy anyone and that's the truth to be sure. I've seen loggers with shiny, new equipment who didn't understand how to use it, and I've seen loggers with old equipment who get more logs than should be possible. I've gone broke using new equipment (poor management), and I have friends who became wealthy with old equipment (and old-fashioned ingenuity). At the end of it though we'll be better people tomorrow because of the dumb things we did yesterday. The verbal sparring was fun for a minute but I took it too far for sure. I said some dumb things in this thread and apologize to Eric1975 for that. His Link-Belt really does look great.
Idaho Yarder Link Belt LS98 and eaglet. Cascade Trader.
Very Nice...I love Link Belts, I preffer LB over any machine.
Did you get a new one Eric or is this someone else's?
Those look alot like the pics I took over Memorial Day weekend of the 98 my buddy Matt cuts under. If you guys have this months Loggers World, they have an article about the outfit. Matt and his cutting partner Jeremy we're cutting a differnt strip that day and didn't get their chance to be in the paper. I thought I posted these pics in this thread, but I guess not. Not quite sure where I posted them??
No, I found it on another forum the other night. I see JTL said he took the pictures. Ive seen alot of Link-Belts mounted on the factory crane carriers, but never seen one mounted on a Pierce carrier like this one appears to be.
I wondered if this was the same one that was in Loggers World. Thanks for the great pictures JTL.
What forum Eric? I can't remember where the heck I posted them!!
Lol, I cant remember neither. Just stumbled across it the other night. I dont think it was one I have ever been on before.
A couple parked Link Belts. The one on the right is a 78. The other is a 98.
I recognize those!
Here is a Link Belt-FMC LS-98 on a crane carrier that has been converted to a cable log loader with a heel boom added and a highrise cab, then used as a short-span yarder by an Idaho logger. Hard to see, but it has a christie carriage hanging off the end of the boom. Photo taken in Clarkia, Idaho.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUf9XGLCyHM&feature=share&list=UUXzbsUk4TCubIkt4RzwiHQQ
that's so funny I was just going to post some pics of this yarder I helped unbell on this week I'll put them on any way
up in washuagal
I have seen that one above Battle Ground a few years ago. The owner of it used to be on here, may still be?
that's the owner standing in the pic
The 98 posted above is in the latest issue of Loggers World. Quite the little project he took on.
And that's me in the processor.
Visited a yarder side in N. Idaho this morning. Yarder is a Link Belt 98 running a Maki motorized slackpuller. They were cold-decking on this site and almost caught up to the fallers.
A few more...
cool
I own 2, 98 Link-Belt set up to yard we are currently in in 2nd entry timber 5000 to 8000 Bf per acre we have to leave 2500 Bf per acre standing . We Are using 1, 320 cat loader & operator 1, 325 cat processor log max 10000 head & operator 1, 98 Link-Belt yarder 1,operator 2, choker setters. We are producing 5 to 6 highway legal loads per day . The setting are steep to very steep minimal deck stumps & guy stumps heavy reprod in places 1.5 feet of snow 300 to 1200 foot yarding distance .The road is a main haul so It is wide.
1979 good old machine Snyder Logging
Here are a couple Linkbelts owned by Joe Fraser, working on a State of Montana sale.
A few Linkbelts in Joe Fraser’s yard in Missoula.