Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HCEA National Convention 2008

stretch · 2008-07-04 12:02

23rd Annual HCEA National Convention Operating Steam, Gas and Diesel Shovels; Skimmer Shovel; Crawler Tractors; Graders; Scrapers; Bulldozers; Cranes; and Rollers. Location: 222 Spring Road, Browsnville, PA Dates: August 8, 9, 10 2008 Sponsored by the National Pike Steam, Gas & Horse Association :usa We're still looking at going but it's a 470 mile drive and with the cost of fuel in a 16 mpg truck...:beatsme Anyone else going?

Replies33
  1. #1Buckethead2008-07-04 12:49

    I have been to two shows out there in Brownsville, PA. It's definitely worth it if you can go. I don't know if I can make it this year.

  2. #2digger242j2008-07-04 13:03

    I was planning to go last year, and meet Truckie there, but at the last minute he had something come up, and my daughter got sick, so neither of us made it. Coincidentally, I was just looking at their site about an hour ago, and it looks like I ought to be able to make it on one of the days.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2008-07-04 13:47

    http://www.hcea.net/downloads/HCEA-Convention-Flyer.pdf

  4. #4stretch2008-07-30 20:01

    We just might be headed down next weekend...but can anyone tell us about any good accomodations and restaurants in the Brownsville area (and points of interest or large construction jobs anywhere along the PA Turnpike or the Scranton area)?

  5. #5Jake2008-07-31 06:13

    I'll be there on Saturday. I enjoyed the show last year, seems this show might have a little more.

  6. #6stretch2008-08-04 17:54

    It's official...I'll be there Saturday, staying in New Stanton Friday/Saturday nights...anyone know of any interesting things around there such as any draglines or mines/quarries in the area? I have been told about the old mines/coke ovens in the Shoaf area south of Uniontown.

  7. #7digger242j2008-08-05 21:57

    I'm planning on being there Saturday as well, although how long I stay will have a lot to do with how well behaved my two 3 1/2 year olds are.

  8. #8stretch2008-08-07 17:17

    Hittin' the road early tomorrow...see y'all there Saturday!

  9. #9digger242j2008-08-07 18:20

    NWS weather forecast for there: Really couldn't ask for much nicer weather for the weekend.

  10. #10stretch2008-08-07 20:46

    Thanks...lookin' beautiful. Better pull out the hat and shades.

  11. #11digger242j2008-08-09 18:45

    WOW! Just got back home. If anybody is within range, and considering going, it's still on tomorrow. WELL worth it! :thumbsup (Most of the iron you see in this picture is actually running at the time, and that's only looking one direction.)

  12. #12digger242j2008-08-09 19:24

    I failed to hook up with Stretch, even though I looked for him where I most expectd to find him... :beatsme

  13. #13stretch2008-08-09 19:40

    Hmmm...doesn't look anywhere near the DOZER pit... Pics tomorrow night or Monday. Does anyone know what model that really big Cat loader was?

  14. #14Jake2008-08-11 21:10

    Favorite Machine there. What was your favorite machine at the convention? I thought they were all really great. Did anyone see the Cat dozer push load the tournapull on Saturday? It was pretty neat. I didn't care to much for the big shovels. I liked the old ford tractor and the three point hitch scraper, the allis chalmers tractor grader, and the D9g. Did anyone see the old cat 60 pulling the sheepsfoot around? I will try to put some pictures up soon. THe most impressive was the twin engine terex dozer.

  15. #15Jake2008-08-11 22:23

    D9g

  16. #16stretch2008-08-11 22:37

    I'd say my favorites were the Tournapull and the TC-12. Check out my pics for one of the pushloading. And they did run the D9? I guess that was after I left...

  17. #17Jake2008-08-11 22:38

    Cat Dozer and cable ripper

  18. #18Jake2008-08-11 22:58

    Cat loader and my old lady

  19. #19Jake2008-08-12 06:02

    push loading

  20. #20Jake2008-08-12 06:22

    slow loading

  21. #21euclid2008-08-12 12:31

    great pictures:drinkup

  22. #22stretch2008-08-23 18:47

    Here's my slideshow I made today to display my pics from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCO8QnC8pw Hope you all enjoy it!

  23. #23dozerdave2009-07-23 23:54

    Great pictures guys. I tore the paper off the seat on a 992 like that. Lots of problems with steel lines on the transmission and they went to braided hose.

  24. #24HCEA2009-07-27 11:25

    Thanks for posting the great photos, and be sure to come to our 2009 show! Come to the Historical Construction Equipment Association's 24th Annual International Convention and Old Equipment Exposition! Friday, Sept. 18th through Sunday, Sept. 20th, 2009! The show features demonstrations of horse-drawn, gas and diesel-powered antique construction machinery, hit and miss engines, antique trucks, and much more! Equipment and vehicles built or powered by International Harvester is being featured, along with machines in the National Construction Equipment Museum collection. Unlike our past shows at the Museum, we actually get to build something this year! Scrapers from the Museum’s collection will join those owned by HCEA members in digging a one-acre pond on the site, with the spoil being used to create a massive pile of dirt for the shovels and excavators. Members of the Black Swamp Chapter of the American Truck Historical Society will be showing their vintage trucks on Saturday, and they’ll be joined by members from other chapters in the area. Friday evening at 6:00, there will be a consignment auction of vintage equipment and parts. Consignments are invited; consignees agree to donate 8.00% of the sale proceeds, with a minimum $25.00 donation, to the HCEA We also feature historical displays, dozens of memorabilia vendors, and a membership banquet on Saturday night, with tickets $20 for adults and $10 for children. Roy LeTourneau, son of R. G. LeTourneau, will be the speaker. Show hours are Friday, 9:00 to dark; Saturday, 9 to 5; Sunday, 9 to 3. Admission per person 12 or over is $5.00 daily or $10.00 for a weekend pass. The show will be held at the National Construction Equipment Museum, 16623 Liberty Hi Road, Bowling Green, Ohio. For more info, visit our website at www.hcea.net , call us at HCEA at 419-352-5616 or e-mail us at [email protected] . The Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1986, is the only organization in the world dedicated to preserving and documenting for public education the history of the construction, dredging and surface mining equipment industries. We operate the National Construction Equipment Museum in Bowling Green, Ohio, and the Museum includes a unique Archives that encompasses sales literature, photographs, repair manuals, business records and more for over 2,600 manufacturers of such equipment from the 1870s to the present day. ACCOMMODATIONS: America’s Best Value Inn, (419) 352-1520, $69.95 per night (plus tax) A Victory Inn & Suites, (419) 352-2521, $45.00 per night (plus tax) Best Western Falcon Plaza Motel, (419) 352-4671 or 1-800-WESTERN, $71.95 per night (plus tax) Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, (419) 353-5500 or 1-800-HOLIDAY, $74.00 per night (plus tax) Knight’s Inn, (419) 352-5211, $69.95 per night (plus tax) For group rates at all Hotels/Motels, you MUST tell them you are staying for the “2009 Historical Construction Equipment Assoc. Convention.” All motels are within seven miles of the show. Primitive on-site camping is available for $15.00 per space per night. No ATV’s, please.

  25. #25digger242j2009-08-08 23:15

    Some pics from the 2009 show at Brownsville... Since it isn't the national show this year, there weren't as many machines working, although there was a ton of ag equipment there. (The theme this year is JD.) A handful of pics from the show today, in no particular order...

  26. #26digger242j2009-08-08 23:25

    Justy to give an idea of how much there is to look at, I stood in one spot and took a picture in three different directions. And then a couple of other ones. This show only costs 5 buck for adults, and kids under 12 are free. They don't gouge you on the refreshments either. If you like to play in the dirt, you really can't beat it... :thumbsup

  27. #27dozerdave2009-08-09 18:22

    Hi Digger, Thank you, great stuff. Was the silver and red rig in the background a Lima?

  28. #28digger242j2009-08-10 02:00

    Thank you. I assume you mean the one that's pretty much center of the picture, directly above the small pan in the foreground. I'm pretty sure it's the same one. I didn't get a picture of it this year, but I did get a couple last year. Yes. A Lima it is. :yup As a bonus, for the grader guys, there's one of a Cat grader that doesn't have those pesky joysticks they're trying to force you to use these days...

  29. #29dozerdave2009-08-10 16:00

    Hi Digger, Thank you.

  30. #30HCEA2009-08-12 09:59

    The Historical Construction Equipment Association's 24th Annual International Convention and Old Equipment Exposition, to be held Friday, Sept. 18th through Sunday, Sept. 20th, 2009, offers the same deal. Plus, you can get a weekend pass for all three days for $10. The show will be held at the National Construction Equipment Museum, 16623 Liberty Hi Road, Bowling Green, Ohio. For more info, see preior postings, or visit our website at www.hcea.net , call us at HCEA at 419-352-5616 or e-mail us at [email protected] .

  31. #31TSK4152009-08-16 10:37

    Hi Digger! We made it to the show and it was more than I expected. It was cool seeing such a variety of equipment operating.

  32. #32digger242j2009-08-16 13:39

    Yeah. And it's not the sort of thing you can find just anywhere, at any given time either. It was well worth the time, wasn't it? A question for you, HCEA--What does a guy have to do in order to be allowed some seat time in some of those classic pieces of equipment?

  33. #33HCEA2009-08-17 08:51

    To operate equipment at the show, you are required to be an HCEA member, either for the standard full year membership of $30.00 (which gets you four issues of our magazine Equipment Echoes ), or for a special show-only membership of $5.00 to get you under the auspices of ouir insurance. You will also be required to attend a brief class on safety each morning. The operating area will be under the supervision of instructors from the Ohio Operating Engineers Apprenticeship.