Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HD 10 Allis

old-iron-habit ยท 2017-04-13 07:44

I am going to go look at a HD10 Allis Dozer setting on a estate sometime next week. To date I do not have any Allis dozers in the old iron line. I don't know anything about it other than it has a 4-71 Detroit that they say has been started. They have not tried to move it, said they have no clue how to run it. It has a double drum Letourneau CCU unit on the back with a cable dozer. Do these machine have Cat style steering clutches and brakes? Any info about them would be useful. I'll post pictures when I see it next week. Thanks, Roger

Replies5
  1. #1Scrub Puller2017-04-13 15:21

    Yair . . . They were a real nice tractor, direct drive, over centre master clutch, conventional clutch and brake steering . . . like all Allis's on scraper work you could shift them on the fly. Letourneau winch can be a bear unless adjusted exactly right. They are simple though and only require standard bulk brake lining on the cones. Cheers.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2017-04-13 19:08

    Thanks for the info Scrub. It runs, been setting for a while. Are they prone steering clutches and brakes sticking like t.he old Cats were in wetter climates. How involved of a teardown is necessary to adjust or replace?

  3. #3Scrub Puller2017-04-13 21:24

    Yair . . . I can't help much really old-iron-habit. I just remember running one for a week or so finishing an earth tank for a bloke. It struck me then as a real nice tractor and never gave a moments trouble in the short time I was on it. I think they would be pretty standard construction with steering clutches and brakes out through the top. My memory of Allis dry clutch arse ends consists mostly of horrible oily/sooty black compartments, wired studs in the bevel gear and top pinion flanges and not much room to twist the wires when they went back together. I guess the technology was about the same as Cat so no doubt they could stick with time. The larger Allis's were a bit prone to develop wear or grooves on the inner teeth of the brake drum that sometimes could cause grief. Cheers.

  4. #4BillG2017-04-13 22:09

    One thing to check is the lube in the finals. These old Allis dozers used accordion seals and there haven't been any around in decades. I sold my HD10 back in the eighties and couldn't get any then. I just kept the level up and watched to make sure I wasn't getting any dirt or sand inside.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2017-04-13 22:19

    Thank you BillGfor the finals tip. I will check them for sure. it will probably get 4 hours a year in my stable so will check every time out if I decide to purchase it.