Hello room, I have been given a project on my friend's Allis Chalmers HD11 dozer. we parked it 20 years ago believing the rear main seal was leaking on to the clutch. I have called a parts house and they advised me it is not a rope seal but a rubber seal and a wear sleeve. My question is, generally speaking, how would I replace this seal? the transmission/flywheel needs to be removed to expose end of crankshaft? any help would be greatly appreciated..
No expert here but just did the same thing on my CAT D3B. Look at this thread Page 5 Post 73 and on I used Permatex Sleeve Retaining Compound on the wear ring. Then took the old seal to use to drive the new seal into position in the bell housing. Another poster indicated they have used red Loctite. Either way I have yet to get my engine started so I think it worked but won't know until then.
Yes the easy way would be to pull the Torque and flywheel. Then you should be able to drill a couple of small holes in the seal and pull it out. DO NOT drill clear through the seal though.