Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HD16B engine swap

StumpSlinger · 2023-07-29 17:30

Has anyone ever swapped a 17000 ac engine out for a 855 cummins? I have a chance to get a nice 16B but the engine locked up while it was running.

Replies11
  1. #1Queenslander2023-08-01 16:28

    Almost everything you need to know is in this thread. Unfortunately, td25c hasn’t posted here for some years. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-08-02 07:00

    If I remember correctly, td25c was banned from HEF.

  3. #3epirbalex2023-08-03 03:17

    Are you sure this battle is worth the candle , one thing to purchase a machine and have it fail then faced with fixing it and another thing to take on a machine not going when parts are scarce when you get it re-powered .

  4. #41693TA2023-08-03 06:53

    If that tractor is not just totally worn out, it would be worth the conversion to me. It is rugged enough to withstand the increased power of the newer engine if not abused. I've helped with two like conversions and the most difficult challenge is the hydraulics systems. Some of the original can be reutilized, some best replaced with readily available parts driven by the engine. Although not nearly as smooth as the original, the Cummins engine fits well and performs better than the original Allis/Buda engine IMO.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-08-03 06:56

    If the tractor was mine, I'd be concerned about the almost total lack of new replacement A-C undercarriage. Most A-C tractors have reached the end of their life when the undercarriage is worn out, because the chances of finding even good used undercarriage is extremely low.

  6. #6StumpSlinger2023-08-03 19:24

    That's very true, this one has a very decent undercarriage but parts of any kind are hard to find. I already passed on the deal in favor of a d7.

  7. #7sled dog2023-08-03 19:46

    So....tell us about the 7...

  8. #8StumpSlinger2023-08-03 23:21

    I don't have a sn yet but it's a d7 17a with hyd blade non turbo. Also I'm tinkering on a d7e 47a cable machine.

  9. #91693TA2023-08-04 06:40

    Can you pm me the contact information on the 16B? Would like to see if something I'd be interested in. Thanks,

  10. #10hd16b2023-08-06 13:03

    Yeah I would like to know about the 16b also,I still run 2 16s and am in NC also. 252 916 2927

  11. #11DMiller2023-08-06 14:41

    ALMOST bought a 16B just before built the house, walked away as had several lower rollers leaking, rails about 60% and segments getting close. Are no rails for these in the US, 7.850 pitch. Did have other "Small Issues" per the owner.