Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HE Graveyard

rodtg ยท 2015-11-21 11:54

Some pictures of a heavy equipment 'graveyard' in the UK. Not pictures taken by me, but I did visit this place several years back.

Replies15
  1. #1rodtg2015-11-21 11:56
  2. #2rodtg2015-11-21 12:05
  3. #3rodtg2015-11-21 12:08
  4. #4Scrub Puller2015-11-21 13:26

    Yair . . . Interesting stuff rodtg. Why is it so? . . . there must be many valuable parts within those rusting hulks. Strange use for what appears to be an airstrip? Cheers.

  5. #5kshansen2015-11-21 13:30

    Where abouts is this located, might be able to spot on Google maps.

  6. #6rodtg2015-11-21 13:33

    Scrub Puller - It's a former Royal Air Force base that was sold off some time ago. The surrounding fields are used for cultivation and the runway is now one big hard stand for all this equipment (owned by the same company). They do salvage parts from these things, but quite a bit of it is ex-army stuff from as far back as WW2.

  7. #7rodtg2015-11-21 14:01

    kshansen - These are the coordinates for Google Maps: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...582,8852m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

  8. #8kshansen2015-11-21 14:06

    Thanks, looks like even more than you could see in the pictures!

  9. #9tctractors2015-11-21 15:43

    The Scrap yard is miles long with heaps of very rare and hard to find Tractors, Bulldozers,Scrapers and Trucks out of sight under the brambles and hedge never mind the Bomber Runways, years ago I used to take a Foden Low Loader to collect good kit the Foden owner had bought at Auction, I used to get and give a hand loading the Wagons to Nelson's driver, all the crap stuff Nelson would buy with all the good stuff going on my load, Nelson's driver used to often have a winch tractor chained down on the neck, I think it was a David Brown? a common load was Ex British Coal BTD20's and D7 CAT's, those runways are looking empty now compared to the 1970-80's, its still a good place to wander about for a day, there was a big circle of towed Scrapers with the oldest units in the middle, so it was simple to see the evolution and change over the years of construction of this simple workhorse. tctractors

  10. #10rodtg2015-11-21 15:48

    Nelsons son calls it his old mans 'legacy' and its a fair one at that. When I visited I was in a hurry. Went to look at a few dozers and a Doosan excavator that was on the runway shearing old tyres. Wish I'd had more time to have a proper look.

  11. #11alskdjfhg2015-11-21 21:48

    Yeah knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread.... Makes me really want to get all my junk running.

  12. #12old-iron-habit2015-11-22 09:49

    Wow, Now that would be a cool place to spend a day poking about and having a picnic. One day with the bride visiting a place like that and maybe she will realize I do not have to many.

  13. #13Legdoc2015-11-22 10:06

    Cool place. with a BBQ pit, some ice cold ones, a cot, and a hot woman that would make a great place to vacation! Roughing it of course!

  14. #14lantraxco2015-11-22 13:11

    Any woman that would consider a visit to a place like that even remotely enjoyable would be a rare and precious gem gentlemen. Mine wouldn't make the trip, and if she was persuaded wouldn't last a minute over two hours, lol.

  15. #15kshansen2015-11-22 14:06

    Yea, mine can't understand why I have four Ariens walk behind snow blowers. Hate to think what she would think if I tried to bring half a dozen dozers or track loaders home! And yes all four snowblowers run and are ready for the first snow of the winter. Actually have one JD blower too, but that one has, I believe, a broken rod in the engine. Might be a winter project, just for fun. Thing is I never bought an Ariens or even John Deere snow blower, people just give them to me when something breaks on them. Now if I can just find someone to give me a 941 that needs a little engine work.........