Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Head gasket leak on a 5.9 Cummins.

Hardline ยท 2009-12-21 08:54

Not sure where I should put this question.I have a customer with a 99 F800 Ford truck that has a 5.9 Cummins in it. Just behind the alternator there is a small water leak at the block/head. No water in the oil or oil in the water just an external leak. Are there any block seals that could be added to the water to make this quit? He is not enthusiastic about pulling the head. Thanks JJ

Replies5
  1. #102Dmax2010-01-01 18:22

    most of the stop-leak stuff will stop the leak but plug the radiator too. those head gaskets are easy to change. pretty pud job really

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2010-01-01 20:54

    stop leak Very, Very true about the stop leak, it may not stop the radiator up real bad, but it might. So its a gamble, take a chance on the radiator, it might cost $500+ to get the radiator repaired later. If you have ever changed the head on a 6 cylinder gas engine, you can change this head, its really easy just be careful and pay attention to how you are taken it apart. You might need to call and get the head bolt torque. I shouldnt say this, but before I got a torque wrench (years ago) I just used my elbow as a torque wrench, if you know what I mean. I never had a problem, but as the engines got more critical, I bought the torque wrenches. I think you can rent this from some parts stores OK, youve decided to take the head off, did you locate why the gasket was leaking? If you dont see something wrong, you need to look some more. You probably should take it to a machine shop and have it checked. I would have the machine shop to rebuild the head. They get a head gasket set and grind the valves and replace the seals, it should cost around $150 and they should mill the head face for that included, this will take care, if the head has a bad place, not cracked. Good Luck

  3. #302Dmax2010-01-01 22:43

    Head bolt torque I use on that engine is 90 ft. lbs. plus 90 degrees. Rocker shaft stands are 30ft. lbs I believe. Valve Clearance is .010 on intake and .020 on exhaust. Thats about as technical as that engine gets.

  4. #4Hardline2010-01-01 23:18

    Thanks guys. I gave the owner of the truck the options he could chose. He wanted to try some stop leak first so I guess we will go from there. The leak stopped as soon as I installed the stop leak.

  5. #5janajoy2011-02-18 20:05

    Hi there mate, I have the same problem now with the gasket. As i have checked it early this morning, i just notice a small leak on it. Should i changed the gasket set already? I am planning to visit a mechanic about this matter.