Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

head gasket problem

rbaggett ยท 2011-02-12 22:07

I have a Dresser wheel loader blowing white smoke and missing, water coming out around exhaust manifold on #3 cylinder. Is this definitely a head gasket problem or cracked head. Or could it be a hole in the cylinder liner. Any way to tell before I take the head off. If its a liner I would have to take it to a shop.

Replies2
  1. #1willie592011-02-13 09:16

    You'll pretty much have to at least pull the head to diagnose that one. Cracked cylinder liner will typically get coolant in crankcase as well as exhaust. Could be head gasket or cracked head. I'm thinking if it's bad enough that you can actually see liquid coolant leaking out where exhaust manifold fits up to #3, then I'm thinking the failure is going to be big enough that you'll be able to spot it when you pull the head.

  2. #2Iron@Dirt2011-02-13 20:52

    Dont know witch engine you have, but if it is intercooled or has injector sleeves you could look there. Compression in the radiator would be top end problem. If water is getting in the oil ( you might not readily see it, check inside of filler cap for moisture) you could pull pan, pressure radiator and look for leak at the bottom. You might have to turn crank a little at a time to see hole in liner if that is your problem.