Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Biodiesel and TLBs

troyharnish ยท 2011-02-13 13:03

I am thinking of using some home made biodiesel in my Case 580K once it warms up. Does anyone have any experience with this? Good experiences, bad ones?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2011-02-13 15:56

    One of my customers was distilling his own diesel. Made it out of whatever he could get, used hyd oil, sump oil. Not sure exactly what was involved there was heat & definitely a 'still' involved. :beatsme We can have alot of humidity here & it seemed to affect the quality of the 'brew'. Some batches were not very good & required daily fuel filter changes - not sure if the savings are worth the effort required to make the stuff & risking possible damage to fuel system. All I can say is to research what you do & stay safe

  2. #2Deere John2011-02-13 19:15

    Fuel makes up about7% of the operating expense of my 310C Deere. Honestly, that is not the first place I'd look to cut costs. There's way more opportunity with attachments and marketing to increase revenue and pour the diesel to it. My 2 cents from my perspective.

  3. #3Irish_Darragh2011-02-21 11:34

    i presume bio-diesel would have an effect on fuel filters and injectors if not produced correctly....?

  4. #43rdGenDslWrench2011-02-21 18:11

    I dont know about Bio-Diesel too much yet...other than the fact if you follow a bio-diesel truck for a while it gives you the urge to pull into a fast food place and order some french fries .

  5. #5shopteacher 12011-02-22 10:29

    I have a friend that runs his pick up (chevy Duramax) on used vegitable oil. With his system, he has an auxilary tank in the back of the truck for the strained used vegitable oil. He starts the truck on regular diesel fuel, and when it warms up it automatically switches over to the vegitable oil. The system cost him about six thousand dollars. he has kept accurate records, and says it paid off in 16 months. With they sysem he has, all he has to do is run the oil through a series of filters and it is ready to use - no distilation required. When I bought my 1973 ford 4500 a year ago, the dealer I bought it from told me not to run (commercially made) bio-diesel. He has seen a lot of fuel related problems with it. I heat with fuel oil, and that is what I run in it. Hope this helps & good luck.