Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heading to liebherr factory in Telfs Austria!!

steve.k ยท 2013-04-19 23:10

After purchasing the 950j and researching this machine some we have decided to go to Austria in Nov. a friend of my has purchased a new Fendt tractor and was asked to go to that factory in Marktoberdorf Germany. My friend asked if I would go along and I said sure but seeing we are only 106km from Liebherr we should go there? So we are booked in. Should be good. Any requests?while we there??

Replies21
  1. #1norite2013-04-20 02:13

    Yeah, sample some of that German beer and let us know if it is good as ours.

  2. #2steve.k2013-04-20 10:05

    Ah Bratwurst & beer!! I have sampled it before!!! Almost worth the trip alone. Thanks I'll try one for you anyhow!!! Steve

  3. #3robin yates uk2013-04-20 10:12

    Any requests?while we there??,,,,,,,,,,,,apart from the awesome German and Austrian beers you must try the Black Forest Gateau .. I worked in Germany years ago and left with a great feeling of contentment.They work hard, play hard and have respect for their country, so no litter any where.

  4. #4steve.k2013-04-20 19:53

    Germany Yes Robin I have spent some time there to, had a hard time figuring why the ancestors left in first place. Almost everywhere in Europe is minty clean. I seem to be attracted to the place and cannot wait to go back. I'll check out the Gateau ( cake)and keep you posted. Thanks for heads up.

  5. #5oldirt2013-04-20 20:27

    it was my experience that there was no german beer that wasn't better than any american brew.

  6. #6steve.k2013-04-20 22:04

    Each town has own !! Every town we visited had its own beer! When we were in Hanover we became quite fond of Ratskiller. Quite the name but good!!We toured to next town and orderd the same and got some nasty looks.

  7. #7robin yates uk2013-04-21 00:03

    Europe has many fine breweries.Belgium is home to literally 100s of breweries, Holland,Croatia,England,.As for American beer, :beatsme:thumbdown

  8. #8robin yates uk2013-04-21 00:43

    if there is just one thing which makes me remember Germany is the almost total lack of litter,ie, empty fast food containers, plastic bags, even cigarette butts.Many places have that just cleaned look, made me ashamed to be British in comparison.

  9. #9tctractors2013-04-21 02:05

    Another delight might be the Motorways, none of that 55mph stuff needed on them with only small areas under speed restrictions for cars, all the bends are built to allow no dramas at 100mph plus, as for the Beer the dark stuff (Shtarg?? Beer) is the stuff I can drink all night, plus if you ask for the big glass you get a fair bit in it (less time wasted on the top up)

  10. #10steve.k2013-04-21 11:24

    Yes the autobahn unbelievable!! Did you guys see the firewood stacked along the highways as they clean all the deadfall out of bush for fire wood? You can walk threw any forest and not have to step over a dead log?? Clean is not the word over there. Never felt intimidated driving in any town.

  11. #11Colorado Digger2013-04-21 11:42

    I have visitied the Liebherr Excavator factory in Colmar, France. It was an unbelievable experience, I would recommend taking a good set of walking shoes as the factories are quite large. The Liebherr staff were great, they picked me up at the hotel and gave me an awesome tour. The gentlemen that arranged the whole deal actually resides here on the forum but I don't think he visits much. Their equipment is very well built and you can tell that the employees take great pride in their work. I didn't finish the tour because it was late and they had been busy with a mining group from Algeria and were shipping out two large shovel's that day. I actually saw them come through Horbourg-Whir heading for the Rhine, It was an amazing site seeing those shovel's come through the narrow streets. As for me it was mostly Belfort and Fischer with some Heineken mixed in. Good Luck, Cd

  12. #12steve.k2013-04-21 12:39

    CD do you run the liebherr excavetors? If so have you had good success?

  13. #13Colorado Digger2013-04-21 12:53

    No, their dealer support is not all that strong in my area. From what I have seen I am very impressed. They are still fighting it out with Cat in Europe. When I asked them about market share they could not admit to having beaten Cat.

  14. #14steve.k2013-04-21 14:29

    Yes I hear you Cat may not have the best product but they do have excellent customer support for the most part. I did talk to e Liebherr rep in eastern Canada and he says that over the last 3 years they have spent millions in product support! He said liebherr is pushing for overnight parts anywhere in Canada.I bought the jd version of the 744 and he said if JD cannot supply overnight parts they can as all parts are the same. I figured that was a pretty bold statement but he said Liebherr was going to make a big push ahead in the near future!!

  15. #15ih1002013-04-21 17:12

    Cat need this kind of competition. Several of their lines are no better than the opposition, and if Liebherr, Volvo and Komatsu could match Cat's aftersales support, you'd see a lot less Cat yellow around the world.

  16. #16oldirt2013-04-22 07:36

    robin yates.. 10-4 on the clean streets in Germany. That whole country is pristine.

  17. #17steve.k2013-12-04 23:52

    Just back from liebherr and all I can say is wow! Those guys are on a mission for sure! Very impressed with their commitment to quality and ever improving product. I think the competition is in for surprise!

  18. #18Reel hip2013-12-17 20:04

    Steve I came to this discussion too late. I have heard they were going to start sales in California. I have not had anyone tell me their machines were nothing but built solid. I am looking for them to hit it big here in Ca. Their website is pretty impressive! Doug

  19. #19steve.k2013-12-18 00:31

    They are very committed to a quality product! It's not about production totals but improving things where necessary! They do have some different features on machines that need a different style of service. Once they explained their engineering on this it makes sense. I can tell you the machine we run is very fuel efficient! I did talk about their relationship with jd and they said that it was a good move but maybe thought machines would catch on better. From what I see jd not trying to move these machines that hard! I did have a big debate on this site about jd seemingly gaining hydrostatic knowledge by leaps and bounds since it's merger with liebherr. I received a load of flack over that and even some jd reps said it was all Jd!! After talking with these boys they said yes indeed jd had designed their own dozers but a lot of the components were indeed built by liebherr or purchased from a company liebherr owns. Hmmmm no influence eh? Ya right! At any rate first Class operation and a well built product. I see more of these machines in my future! Steve

  20. #202deeres2013-12-20 17:51

    Liebherr seem like good machines, for sure. But their attitudes to potential customers sure leaves a lot to be desired, at least from my experience here from the local branch.

  21. #21CascadeScaper2013-12-21 01:22

    Coming from a crane standpoint, Liebherr builds some of the best around, especially their tower cranes. Quality product for sure.