Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Health Insurance for business owners that have working spouses

Shimmy1 · 2024-11-30 02:13

As the thread title states. Those that have a working spouse whose job offers health insurance. Apparently the rules do not allow someone to be on government cheese if your spouse has insurance available. What are a guy's options?

Replies22
  1. #1colson042024-11-30 06:11

    Usually, your spouses' insurance plan has an option to cover you as well. When my wife went to work full time in July of '23, her new employer offered three different options for coverage (Employee only, Employee+Spouse, and Employee+Family), and had different premium deductions based on which plan you elected. For us, since I was self employed, the Employee+Family was the only option with the caveat that I had to prove I did not provide insurance. That was just a letter from me stating I did not. Now that I work for the Family farm full time, the farm isn't required to offer employee health insurance since we are under the government mandate level of employees for required health insurance. So, we still get health insurance through my wife's employer using the Employee+Family option. Years back, I bought mine through the Governement Health Insurance Marketplace. I made too much income for our family for any subsidies, but the rates offered were still less than buying a plan through any other provider when I was shopping around. That would be an option for you as well, if your spouse's health insurance doesn't have an option to add you for coverage.

  2. #2Vetech632024-11-30 07:54

    Divorce.......then live together.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-11-30 16:48

    There's tax breaks for that too

  4. #4CM19952024-11-30 17:40

    How many employees and will you offer it to them regardless of the company paid portion? We offer health insurance for our employees with a % company paid option. We have 2 guys that opted for a single plan which we only needed 1 to opt in to cover my wife and I. Long story short - what we are paying for the 2 of us plus 2 employee single plans is about what we were paying for a family plan on BCBS out in the wild. We are under United Health with a gap plan that's through Transamerica. https://www.transamerica.com/knowledge-place/transamerica-supplemental-medical-expense-insurance-gap Not 100% sure on the exact costs but I can ask the boss for the numbers if interested. We are a small company but offering health insurance, IRA contributions, PTO and vacation pay goes a long way for the guys in the field whether they decide to participate or not (on the insurance and IRA portions).

  5. #5wlhequipment2024-12-04 08:40

    I'm confused. Are you asking how to cheat the government out of money? That hasn't worked out for very many people as a long term plan.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-12-04 09:25

    No. Not being dishonest at all, just trying to keep the dollars we make. Nothing illegal with being on the marketplace, just can't do it if one of the two partners is offered insurance.

  7. #7wlhequipment2024-12-04 10:13

    I didn't know what you meant by "cheese". My daughter and I were on the marketplace a few years ago when it was cheaper to do that than be on my wife's insurance. Can you not do that anymore?

  8. #8colson042024-12-04 14:49

    You can, as that is what I was suggesting. You just don't qualify for any health insurance subsidy that you would have if your spouse was not offered Health insurance. Also, not all companies offer spousal coverage health insurance, which would allow the non covered spouse different access, depending on income.

  9. #9Old Doug2025-09-18 07:41

    Right i pay for my own health insurance if i pushed it hard i could get my employer to pay for it but i am not sure if i am going to stay or find another job so i dont want to be switching stuff around. The paying for my own isnt so bad but the paper work i have to deal with is a nightmare. I would gladly pay more for insurance if i didnt have to spend so much time every month sorting through, reading and trying to figure it out .

  10. #10Legdoc2025-09-18 11:08

    Until going on Medicare September 1 I have been on my wife's insurance for 30 years. We were paying $1,100.00 per month just for me with a crappy BCBS plan through the school district. Now saving right at $900 per month with a supplement and drug plan. No dental though.

  11. #11Simon C2025-09-18 14:29

    Wow I have free medical, subsidized dental and made my own pension. We pay taxes, but our income from our business in heavy equipment is split in 2. I don't think everything is better in America, but there is some problems here also. Glad I don't have to put up with the big heat you get, I can stand the cold and organize myself or customers to not freeze me to death. Simon C

  12. #12Coaldust2025-09-19 02:52

    This won’t help you guys, but a local Alaska private, primary care provider is doing something unique. It took a few years of lobbying and legislative action to make it legal. Big healthcare was fighting it tooth and nail. It’s called Direct Primary Care. It’s not insurance, but similar. You pay a membership fee, then have access to a provider of your choice. No co-pay or deductible. This sounds like an advertisement,…… lol It’s like a hundo per month per employee. The catch, is it only covers services they provide. So, no long term cancer treatment, brain surgery or hip replacements. But, there is urgent care and surgery center for more routine procedures. Imaging services, prenatal care, lab, blah, blah. It’s a full meal deal for $1,200 a year. That’s what my company uses. The Guvna came to the clinic to sign the bill into law, last winter. I have a picture somewhere

  13. #13Coaldust2025-09-19 03:05

    Ah, here Tis’ He’s a tall sonofagun. Miss Coaldust is in there somewhere. She’s so burnt-out and sick of the healthcare industry. I keep encouraging her to stick it out for another 18 months and “retire”. I just think it’s cool that this group of Docs found a way to provide affordable healthcare and keep the insurance companies out of their biz.

  14. #14Truck Shop2025-09-19 03:58

    To make up for it, malpractice insurance will increase. Must be tied into some conglomerate like a Providence, low population of only 743,000, with 95 doctors per 100,000 people, in 2016 there were 1630 doctors, 2024--975. Although it only had 25 MP suites in 23 lower population helps.

  15. #15Shimmy12025-09-19 08:24

    If it's "knee pop" girl in the front row, I'd guess you have your hands full lol.

  16. #16Coaldust2025-09-19 09:57

    I listened to a state economist break down the population statistics and he brought up some good points that I didn’t think about. About 600k residents receive PFD benefits. Additionally, the military population is a wild card with about 35k active duty & dependents. But, many active duty maintain Alaska residency after they PCS so they can keep collecting the PFD. There were a couple other factors that also came up that puts the realistic year-round population closer to 550k. Some experts claim the illegal population could be close to 40k. I have a hard time believing that. But, Anchorage brought in a bunch of them. I think many of them eventually left for warmer places. The MatSu region is growing, but the rest of the state is shrinking every year. The average age is increasing and young people are leaving.

  17. #17Vetech632025-09-19 17:03

    I saw several future exs in that pic

  18. #18Junkyard2025-09-19 19:57

    That’s a sure sign of a troublemaker lol

  19. #19Coaldust2025-09-19 22:15

    Knee Pop girl lol. Yeah, She was a front desk receptionist. You guys read that body language like a book. Too funny. My goodness.

  20. #20Shimmy12025-09-20 02:12

    Troublemaker. Not nearly the term I'd use.

  21. #21Legdoc2025-09-20 22:26

    I'm not sure I could take the cold. It's still near 100 degrees here daily with high humidity. I have hated it all my life but it's what it is.

  22. #22Junkyard2025-09-20 22:37

    Just working on being polite haha. Have one of those myself….