Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heated Shop Or A Sheet Of Tin ?

Autocar ยท 2010-01-28 18:30

With the cabin fever thread started I was thinking how many guys have large work shops that's heated where they spend winter days thinking about new toys. For myself its a pole barn thats colder then standing out side and at times laying on a sheet of tin working on something.

Replies30
  1. #1barklee2010-01-28 18:38

    That stinks makes you tough i guess. Of course its so expensive to heat your shop anymore i find myself learning about toughness! Whereabouts in Ohio you from?

  2. #2excav8r2010-01-28 18:41

    I consider myself somewhat lucky because i live on a farm we have a 20mX60M indoor riding ring i can use or a coverall which is 80'X40'. the down side is the riding ring has a very loose dirt floor and is not heated so expect to be cold and dirty and the coverall which is a tarped building has awesome light but gravel floor and no heat. but i count myself lucky in whatever i am working on is not buried in snow and i don't have to pack everything up and the end of the day and bring it inside Steve

  3. #3milling_drum2010-01-28 18:42

    Tell you what, those used oil heaters pay for themselves once you can afford them. They blast heat better than most of the gas fed furnaces I've seen. Metal is kinda cold to lay on, wouldn't you go for something like cardboard or an old blanket? Something you could throw out after oils spilled all over it.

  4. #4excav8r2010-01-28 18:49

    haha do what i do everytime someone you know goes to mexico give em a 20 and tell em to get as many of those mexican blankets as they can with it lol. those things are awesome

  5. #5OCR2010-01-28 19:58

    I think about that a lot myself... while laying on a sheet of tin. And, if I expound much more about that fact, I'll trip the auto-censor!!! OCR...

  6. #6RobVG2010-01-28 21:26

    Throw that tin away. Use a piece of 2' by 4' 1/2" plywood with a hole for a handle. It'll float on mud. I must have done something good in a past life because the bosses built me a shop with concrete floors and in-floor radiant heating. To return the favor, I keep it at 55 degrees.

  7. #7OCR2010-01-29 01:51

    Just have'ta rub it in, eh? Click here: View attachment 48755 And I still might be hungry... :lmao OCR... PS: lol Copied from Robs thread... Vertical Upwelds: HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8Arabhacks2010-01-29 02:00

    Cold? Hello. I hang in South Texas, we would freeze to death if it got below freezing for more than a week! Right now it is 61 with light rain.

  9. #9bill onthehill2010-01-29 02:56

    It is 3 F right now with a wind chill of -17. I will take my unheated concrete floored building over laying in the snow and having the wind blowing on me. If I have to have heat I fire up my torpedo heater and lean plywood around whatever I am working on and let it take the chill off or melt the snow off it.

  10. #10BIGDAN3152010-01-29 12:22

    I presently work out of a 32x40 steel sided pole barn with concrete floor. Its gets you out of the howling wind for sure but absolutely no R value in steel. A piece of ply wood or card board like you guys mention gets you off the cold ground or floor. Had plans to insulate but was put on the back burner. Now I have sold the place and I am buying a small farm across town which has 4 barns. One of which is a 60x60 pole barn which is partially insulated and heated and concrete floors. I can't wait.

  11. #11Speedpup2010-01-29 14:19

    Pray for me I'll be doing brakes tomorrow morning on my Dodge 3500 at 15* I was think the same topic this morning.

  12. #12Autocar2010-01-29 15:42

    Barklee I am in west central Ohio flat open farm country.

  13. #13Cat is ALL2010-01-29 15:50

    Heated shop is so nice, you don't have to wear gloves for everything you do, and its not a pita to do anything. I heard some people have heated shops in the winter, and cooled shops in the summer. If I were a canic that is where I'd want to work lol.

  14. #14Autocar2010-01-29 18:21

    Here this past summer I cut 16 foot 4x6 white oak and laided them down on 16 inch centers then layed 2x12x16 foot on top looks good but did shrink and every now and then I drop a wrench between them. So I made me a magnet on a stick and pull them out, and before anyone ask its nothing like soap on a rope But ruff sawed lumber is hard to slide on so thats where the tin comes in But as I look back on my life , life is good now it use to be tin in the open. Wind blowing so hard you had to wear goggles to keep your eyes from watering so bad. See what you southern guys are missing This morning 7 degrees under the truck adjusting the brakes no gloves 7/16 inch wrench you got to love it

  15. #15PSDF3502010-01-29 18:35

    You ever notice when your shop is outdoors (like mine) or unheated, something needs doing on the coldest or hotest day of the week or year. It's always like couldn't this have happend yesterday when it was nice:Banghead

  16. #16Autocar2010-01-29 18:59

    Talking about the hotest day trying to repair something brings to the summer of 2000 I ran a broken off steel fence post though a 24.5x 32 skidder tire that was 16 ply. I got it back to the landing just when the bead broke,so I put the blade down and lifted her off the ground. I worked five hours trying to get it off the rim drinking about two gallions of water finally gave up and went to the repair shop. About five minuites he had it off and the spare back on.

  17. #17barklee2010-01-29 20:37

    I am from the Northwest Ohio, flat as a board and fields as far as the eye can see. We probably arent real far away. I am in the Lima area. Its good to have some Ohio representation around here!

  18. #18charles M2010-01-29 21:13

    ford 4500 Looking for some help reading the serial #s off a older ford 4500 backhoe/loader. looks like 05NW6015G T7 this number came off the engine, the hoe # 1550 T9-388. any help would be appreciated. :usa

  19. #19RobVG2010-01-30 15:03

    Don't get your feathers ruffled OCR (Just wait till I get around to posting a pic of my new service truck...:tong)

  20. #20OCR2010-01-31 02:38

    LOL... never happen... Well, hurry up... I'd like to see it... :thumbsup OCR... I hope you didn't do any (vertical up) welding, on it... :tong

  21. #21td25c2010-01-31 19:19

    Ultimate shop Our shop is only 24 x 32 feet.We heat with wood,only trouble is our equipment inventory grew faster than the shop area so we cant get some equipment inside in bad weather to work on it.I would like to build a shop similiar in design to a fire station with open bays in the center,machine shop & general storage area on one side,and living quarters on the other side.Here is a link to what I am thinking about,dont look OCR. www.emergencyfans.com/images/page4-station51/Station127DT.jpg

  22. #22OCR2010-02-01 04:00

    And to think... we used to be ... such good friends... That is nice, 25c... actually had a similar thought. OCR...

  23. #23Komatsu 1502010-02-01 10:19

    Nice idea but your fire insurance company might not be happy. A friend did it, build a house with his commercial cabinet shop on first floor. His insurance company made him build a separate building or no insurance.

  24. #24onemank62010-02-01 15:45

    just moved from a pole barn to a 1 car garage but we now have acreage so the heated barn is coming

  25. #25Speedpup2010-02-01 19:34

    15 degree pad swap on my dooley was OK. No wind was a big help no gloves and about 1 hours. Jack was not working right so I was pumping it like crazy so she could get the jack stand in. It was like rowing upstream. I got a chest cold so bad it hurt to breathe out in the cold so I did one side then came in for 10 minutes for warm air..

  26. #26jhill2010-02-03 18:10

    I have a 36 x 40 wood sided building with ceiling insulation and a concrete floor. Built it myself in better times. I Have a tarp I can run down the middle so I can heat it as needed with a torpedo heater. Jerry

  27. #27Airedale2010-02-04 23:02

    Autocar: I just have to say this, since you already have the barn, why not just heat the sheet of tin? Kind of like a large electric heating pad to lay on. I live in North Dakota I will buy one from you. Say some electric heating coils fixed to the sheet of tin a little insulation over them to make it soft then cover it with Kevlar and I would like a 100' cord. Let me know when you get it done. Thanks, Airedale

  28. #28Autocar2010-02-05 09:30

    Airedale great idea, but what if I get a short in my tin heating pad ! Every time I plug block heaters in for over night I lay in bed with one eye open watching for a yellow glow It has been twenty years ago I had a R model Mack and I went out to start it and it wouldn't start . Gave you a idea of a dead battery. I tilted the hood and hear the red squirrels had chewed every bit of insulation off the whole wire system. Starter to head lites everything was gone except copper wire and even some of that was clipped,I suppose they were after the road salt that was absorbed in the cloth insulation.

  29. #29Airedale2010-02-05 19:10

    Autocar, That just goes to show, it's always....... something! But, I bet they enjoyed their salty treat. I know people who eat those rascals now I know why. How long does it take to rewire a R model Mack? I love those old Mack trucks. I understand about the yellow glow it make me nervous to plub in my tractor whenits in the barn. Airedale

  30. #30Autocar2010-02-06 11:12

    I don't remember any more how long it did take me ,but I do remember it was a pain. I ran that Mack for years then got me a Paystar 5000 and now only run Autocars. There's something about older classic trucks that I like,always thought those narrow window Petes with the butterfly hoods were about as cool as big trucks come. I haven't seen one in years but I suppose theres a few still around. Have a great weekend