I just purchased a 2004 Cat 246B and the heater doesn't blow very good. I purchased a new filter for the heat-A/C and there isn't much change even though the filter was filthy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
You may have to take the heater apart and and get at the heater core. If the filter was dirty it may be plugged up and not allowing proper air flow through the core. There might be clips on the heater to take the cover off so you can get at the core.
Thank you! I will try that.
You might check the vent hoses for blockage as well. A friend of mine has a Cat 247 which was missing a diffuser that allowed stuff to fall into the hose (before he bought it). He disconnected the hose, dumped out the large chunks and used his shopvac to suck out the rest. On a side note, another problem he had with his heater was not getting very much heat out of it. He expected that he was going to need to replace the heater core. It turned out that the hoses had been pinched when the cab was lowered. A few zip ties and he was back in business. Sometimes it pays to check the simple/less obvious causes. Good luck with yours.
Cat also use's a cheap water flow valve in the heater control.....it feels like its working, but its broken.... no flow or little flow thru the heater line....new valve is 125 bucks....ridiculous
Thank you I should to be able to take it apart tomorrow, so I will let you know what I find.
Well the heater core cleaning is done and that was the problem. It was so pack with dirt it was blowing back through the filter. Thank you everyone for your help.
Thanks for the follow-up. It helps to complete the troubleshooting cycle when someone posts the fix. All to often we never hear what the solution turned out to be.
This site is a great resource if we all help out and contribute. I can’t tell you how helpful this was for me, and how inexpensive it was to fix. I had a few buddies help me, and we made it a fun project.
Is the heater core located inside the cab, and how bad is it to service. I have a 246 that does not get real warm
You have to lift the cab to get to it. It isn't too bad, but it will take you a few hours to complete it. Not sure if the 246 is different than the 246B.