I have a Case 580k with the ductile iron boom. I realize that you are not supposed to weld on this material, but can I heat it with a torch? I have a broken pin bolt. I believe I will need to drill it, heat the boom, and try a screw extractor.
What broke it? Rust? Something snap off? I would drill clear threw the bolt, use some PB Blaster and then try an easy out. If that doesn't get it out use just enough heat to get the job done. BTW you can weld iron. There is a right way and a wrong way. Im a noobie also but welcome to the forum.
OP, when you drill it out, find out what the tap drill size is for that bolt and use that size as the last one before you try to pull it. If you have a 3/8" bolt and only drill a 1/4" hole and try to EZ out it, most of the time you'll break the EZ out off in the bolt and now you get to deal with something harder than most drills. If you are careful and center the hole in the bolt, the tap drill will leave just a thin section; mainly the threads and a thin wall connecting them together. That you can usually pick out with a scribe and won't even need the EZout. You won't be able to take the boom to the EDM place to have them burn the EZout from it, like I could with the Lotus cylinder head that I snapped an EZout in a broken exhaust manifold stud. That's when the EDM guy told me what to do in the future.
Thanks guys. But I know how to use the drills and extractors. My question is specifically on the ductile iron. I specifically need to know if there are any special handling practices to observe when heating with a torch.
If you must, heat it slow and let it cool slow.
If you do it correctly, you'll only need a propane torch to heat it. Are you planning to use a big rose bud? How big is this bolt you're working on?
Is this bolt flush with the surrounding surface so that you could weld a nut onto the bolt? If you're not familiar with the trick, it works, will explain if needed.
Yair . . . Mach1 pictures would help of course and Delmers suggestion about welding a nut on is usually quicker and more effective than drilling . . . particularly when fasters are broken off in iron. Cheers
Thanks for the replies. I got it out. It was a 3/4" bolt.