Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heating Oil replacing diesel??

Yamaha ยท 2014-03-10 22:44

Hi guys, hope I put this thread in the good forum... As the title state I was wondering if you can use heating oil to replace diesel and if so would it harm the motor. I'm asking that because I have some oil leftover from my house heating oil... I was thinking of using it in a older backhoe (1976 Massey Ferguson). Thanks everyone in advance

Replies11
  1. #1td25c2014-03-10 23:07

    In my area home heating oil and red off road diesel fuel are one in the same .

  2. #2willie592014-03-10 23:17

    Ditto, #2 home heating oil is the same as diesel.

  3. #3big ben2014-03-11 00:22

    Yup, same fuel truck fills off-road equipment and house's oil tanks out here

  4. #4Yamaha2014-03-11 07:50

    Alright so as far as I understand the red offraod diesel is the same as heating oil...thanks guys

  5. #5BDFT2014-03-11 22:15

    I burn marked diesel in my oil furnace all the time. Both the same.

  6. #6willie592014-03-11 22:28

    Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel notwithstanding, #2 diesel fuel and home heating oil is one in the same, dyed and undyed. Here in the states, the red dye only indicates that it's a fuel that is not subject to the highway taxes, meaning, get caught with red fuel in your highway use vehicle and it's get ready to empty your wallet.

  7. #7Jim D2014-03-12 00:39

    The dealer here says "It depends. Diesel is sold as heating oil, but heating oil isn't diesel. It's all about availability." What you're proposing won't harm the engine. It might gel and precipitate waxes in cold weather, and not start easily.

  8. #8Nige2014-03-12 07:37

    Obviously there is a difference in UK. What you guys call heating oil for use in furnaces is sold as "burning oil" and is 32 SuS viscosity. Diesel (off or on-road, the only difference is the dye) is 35 Sus viscosity. By comparison kerosene is around 28 Sus viscosity. I remember on a couple of job sites where we had to have burners changed (I guess different nozzle sizes) on heating equipment so that they would burn diesel instead of burning oil.

  9. #9overworked2014-03-12 10:05

    Here in NE PA, I have a friend who delivers oil and he says off road and heating oil come from the same drop. They put additives in the off road as customers request, gas stations sell both off road and heating oil at the pump, last I looked off road was 3.99 gal, heating was 3.93 gal, on road was 4.54 gal. He has loaded truck with on road at the depot the they dropped a small vile in it and it was red.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2014-03-12 14:36

    I'd say blend it about 50% with regular red diesel just to be on the safe side with regards to burning characteristics, lubricity and such....

  11. #11Yamaha2014-03-12 17:21

    Yeah i'll do that...I only have maybe 25 gallon Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2