The other day I had a heating problem after digging in some pretty hard ground for about 1 hrs. I blew some antifreeze out. Let her cool down added a little water and loader her up and took her home to the shop. I just bought this machine so I know no history. The radiator looked like it had muddy water in it. The tubes looked like they where full on this substance. So I took the radiator to the shop and had them do what was necessary, they said that it was really dirty but it was ok now. I the put a new Cummings thermostat 180 in and a new manual temp gauge. Put a 50-50 mix coolant. Now this is how it is preforming in my yard. It will go up to 190 and then back to 180, it does this about every 1min and a half at half throttle. Is this normal to have the temp go up and down like this. I can also feel the air temp change coming off the radiator. When the thermostat close up to 190 open back down to 180. I know it is working I'm just not use to the up and down recycling. I know on some other things I have the manual gauges and the temp seam more Constance. Or maybe I not there setting looking at them??
Well digger here, I went back over to the shop and run the 120 for about 35 to 45 min. I notice that the temp. gauge how holds on 190 and does not fluctuate. Am I thinking now that the Hyd fluid is hot and the air pulling through the oil cooler witch is a air cooler keeping the water temp steady at 190. Is this to hot and I know that the hyd oil is going to get hotter so the temp may rise more. Does anyone know what the running temp should be on this 4 cyl. Cummings. I was even thinking about putting a 170 stat in. But I replace it with the same as it had in 180. Thanks.
hi, curious,...have you blown out the hyd oil cooler core with forced air ? are the engine rpms running at spec? are all the insulation surrounding the rads - bottom, sides, top on hood in place to allow air to push thru the rads and not slip around? which way is the air direction, pulling in or pushing out from the rads? if you suspect hyd oil is getting too hot there is a chance of failed hyd return check valves, or plugged from a past component failure. it is possible too that the hyd oil cooler could have a blockage creating a higher than normal back pressure of return flow which will cause the portion of hyd oil to bypass the oil cooler uncooled. also, hyd oil could be of incorrect oil viscosity ? could have a bad relief which is cracking too early and oil is going over it to tank creating heat than doing work. any hyd oil internally leaking past to drain not doing work has its energy transformed into heat (btu). cheers! adam
I think I have the heating problem fixed. I had the radiator cleaned and put a new thermostat in. I just got done digging a cellar and it ran between 185 and 190 all day, I tried different things, I tried a 160 and tried no thermostat and the temp went over to 210. Put the 180 back in and there is where it is now. Go figure. I thought no stat would be hard to heart but that's not the case, as I said go figure.