I have been searching with little to no luck finding a heavy duty woven wiring harness "heat shrink" material. I have dealt with it on Cat engines and I am after something similar. Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase some? Here is an example of it being used from an Ebay ad.
I cannot recall having seen the harness protector material sold separately. The only thing I know of anywhere approaching what you are looking for is that Cat sell bulk "replacement harness" material with either 6 or 12 internal conductors
Thanks Nige! This will be helpful in future repairs and hobby builds. Unfortunately I need to run 192 20ga wires... Ridiculous? Absolutely.
Like this Harness/Overbraiding – Gladding Braided Products
In that case those replacement bulk harness are far too heavy. The wire used in them is 14 SWG.
Yes - That is absolutely what I am looking for - It looks like they do not have a web storefront - I'll have to reach out to them over the phone. Fittingly enough their CEO is named "Sparky" - I bet he's a fun dude.
Try Waytek wire dot com
This looks similar Gorilla Heavy Duty Braided Sleeving Heavy duty gorilla braided sleeving is an extremely durable cable sleeving that is made with nylon 6-6 flat filaments to provide high abrasion & cut resistance www.cabletiesandmore.com
So, Chuck, whatcha wiring up?
Might try some of that Gorilla stuff on some hydraulic hoses. 77 cents a foot for armor is cheap. Do you heat it after o shrink it or leave it. Doesn’t say on their site and no videos to watch?
I may be wrong but it doesn't look like it is designed to be used as hose protection. I would say that with it being of a woven construction it will need to be somewhat compressed lengthways in order increase the inside diameter slightly, then slid over the harness and stretched back out to length which would grip the wires. I would also say that this process would have to be done prior to installing any terminal pins/rings/connectors on the wires.
I believe that loom is woven around the harness after its been made. You will need a machine like the ones at the following link: https://herzog-online.com/harness-braiding-machines/#top
I'm building a breakout box for engine controllers - J1 and J2 plugs on Cummins applications. We have been fighting intermittent CAN error codes on Komatsu IMC dozers on two separate machines/customers/jobsites. This will be backwards compatible from CM2450/CM2350 to CM2250 similar to the tool offered by Komatsu for 7,000$ less.
Why not use split loom for easy modification then? Seems like it would only be installed for short term diagnosis.