we recently purchased a new to me service truck 19’ -f550 diesel cab and half with a altec glass service body and 6k hydro driven auto crane - has the slide out dog house I have a tpl lube skid I need to transfer from old truck would like to mount the lube skid and move the sliding top back, think it be pretty nice to have the bed covered anyone have any experience with these sliding tops and glass bodies has 3 drawer sets in truck
I have zero experience with a fiberglass body but I wouldn’t think they would be nearly as durable as steel or aluminum
I would be concerned if you heavily load your boxes. I've been able to keep up with any stress cracking on my steel bed and easily reinforce it when needed. My F550 usually runs around 18k+ when fuel and water are full. I've only had 2 cracks to fix over 25 years of use on the steel box. Both were in the cross members. Then again, I don't have heavy rust to deal with where I live.
Right concerned as I got the lube skid to put in , but it’s reinforced pretty ,well added thick rubber pads in all the boxes
You might want to consider the water drainage tiles like I used in the first page of this POST . If you have any good ideas on set-up, please post them. I am always looking for ways to improve and make more efficient. They tiles are a little bit heavy but this way, no moisture should be able to accumulate within my cabinets. Any moisture can drain right to the bottom and get out or at least have a better chance to evaporate. The box that I had carpet in it was always a problem for rusting tools even thought the box was mostly dry. Maybe FG will be totally different and you won't get any sweating within the cabinets.
Fiberglass mechanics bed? YIKES!!!!!
They claim just as strong as steel or aluminum - altec body. Can’t be any worse than the reeding service bodies we buy for the crew trucks those split at the bed seem and fall down
View attachment IMG_1517.jpeg
Nice looking rig there!
Yeah trying to get it laid out the way I want - of course never time for that always something to work on - next to get top (dog house )unbolted moved back and live skid dropped in - I might move my house reels off skid and mount on driver side top
Several guys around here that set up light/medium service trucks using phone or cable company trucks had some comments about moisture condensation In the compartments of the fiberglass boxes. Just make sure you have good ventilation. I have rusting in my steel utility box compartments, but that is due to the bolts holding the cap I added to keep the snow & rain off the welder and compressor. I gotta try again to caulk that up.
Yeah it’s always the moisture temp change like a big rain forest in the last 2 steel body trucks I’ve had - had one with a top when I was doing trucks and trailers that I owned the last one was a company truck as is this new one - the new rig has lots of vents built in hoping it’ll be a little better just strange not being able to have my magnets stuck all over to hold stuff and have racks inside the bed for chains and come alongs alongs and hooks
View attachment IMG_1866.jpeg Pretty much all done - top slide back, lube skid in , Reels mounted up -