Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heavy Equipment Career – Questions

K.Serr · 2010-11-27 01:04

Hello everyone! I'm interested in a career as a Heavy Equipment Operator. So a little about myself: I'm 23, and recovering from a minor back injury. I threw my back out about 8 months ago for the second time and couldn't walk for 3 days, and had to take time off work for about 7 days. I was working as a Baker but in the end I had to quit my career because I just cannot work in a fast paced environment for 10+ hours straight, which is usually how the industry is. I've gone on E.I and I'm looking at some new careers choices. One of the careers that qualify for government grants and is determined to have good employment prospects is as a Heavy Equipment Operator. So that is how I've reach this point, looking for some "real life answers" from real people, in order to determine if this is a good career for me. If you all would just take some time to answer just a few questions I would very much appreciate it ________________________________________ ________________________________________​ First and foremost this is the most important question for me and the one I realy hope the solution plays in my favor... 1. Do HEO's have to do a lot of physical manual labor? Or are you spending the majority of your time operating your rig? Side Note: I can do physical labor, I just cannot do it for long periods of time as my MAIN duty in my career. I have little problem with sitting for long periods of time. 2. Do any of you guys suffer from back injuries from your career as a HEO? 3. How did you receive your training? Did you go to a community or private college? If so, how much did you spend on tuition? And how much training time would you say the average person spends before getting a job on site? 4. In your first couple years how much on average, would you say from your experience, did you make in salary? 5. Is work regularly available? Or is the majority of your work contract related? ________________________________________ ________________________________________​ If you don't feel like answering all the questions I understand, if you can give me some general answers I would greatly appreciate any efforts. Thanks Everyone, P.S Is there any other relavent info that I should know in order to make the decision of becoming a HEO?

Replies22
  1. #1mitch5042010-11-27 05:44
  2. #2Stevenbrla2010-11-27 09:19

    Looks like you write well, must have a brain in your head that you've been using so far. Keep using it... hit the books, save your back for lifting your kids.

  3. #3Dozerboy2010-11-27 17:12

    This career is probably not the best choice. Most of the time you have to start out as a groundman 8-14hrs a day 5-6 day a week of physical labor for years possibly. There are several machines that aren't very back friendly. Maybe if you could get in at a mine as a truck driver or something, but I can't say as I've never worked for a big one.

  4. #4Wolf2010-11-27 19:07

    government grants What kind of government grants did you find for becoming a heavy equipment operator. Please share the info. Would love to know more about it Thanks, man.

  5. #5jimrr2010-11-28 11:44

    dozerboy is right, of course there are exceptions but generally.......... you're not going to get away from busting your butt......a LOT!, and everything is heavy......... and dozers can buck! so do most things with tracks. This newer equip. has nice seats but you can be sitting there paralyzed just the same.

  6. #6skagit2010-11-28 13:56

    Work is slim at the moment but its still there. I was told early on when I started, the only guarantees you will have is a sore back and you will not get rich. I jumped in with both feet. ointhead

  7. #7EZ TRBO2010-11-28 13:57

    I read this earlier and been kinda thrashing my brain for places to where one might work with a back condition such as yours. Roller operator on a paving company, finish grader operator, are just a few that i thought of...but both require a good bit of experince. Even to be a driller requires alot of manual labor depending on what you have to do and i've seen our drills bounce around a fair amount moving from hole to hole as well...use that brain and get an engineering degree or become a good manager. Trbo

  8. #8K.Serr2010-11-28 16:17

    Thanks for all the useful info guys. I think I'll consider more of a desk job then The grant I'm referring to is run through a program only offered in Ontario to those that have been laid off or had to leave their jobs for medical reasons. Unless you have been laid off in the province of Ontario, you cannot receive the grant. It covers up to 10k in tuition costs and an additional, up to 18k in living expenses. Its called "Second Career" and it is sponsered by the MTCU (ministry of training colleges and universities) You can get more information here: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/secondcareer/qna.html#display

  9. #9Plan B2010-11-29 14:05

    Ive never been an "operator" but ive been around equipment for years and if you want to be an operator of some kind i would recommend looking into becoming a crane operator. They dont really have to do crap if they are good at it. Someone else rigs up the loads and the mechanics maintain the crane...all you do is pull levers and do visual checks..depending on who your working for ofcourse! Ive worked on Grove cranes for Dupont for a few years and those operators didnt do much of nothing physical!

  10. #10buckfever2010-11-29 17:48

    I definetly have to agree with you guys. Equipment operating may not be physicaly demanding but running anything for long enough it will show. I'm only 28 and been doing this since I was knee high to a curb. Dad has trouble hearing and I'm starting to show signs of the same now. Knees and back are also worked hard. If you want to see what operating does, find a person who's been operating for 30+ years. I know machines are more operator friendly now but they still kick the crap out of you.

  11. #11rutwad2010-11-30 09:10

    I like the crane idea. Probably hard to come by a good job starting out though. Crane operators working intermodal yards make GOOD money, but it would take a while to attain such a position. Heavy Equipment Hurts. Maybe you could get your feet wet as a lead vehicle driver "follow me" signs that direct traffic when one lane is closed for paving etc. I'm sure some equipment may be forgiving, but a little pain over the years will add up to big trouble later on. WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER!!

  12. #12Buckethead2010-11-30 11:31

    I don't know about people who work in-house in a plant for a company like DuPont, but all the crane operators I know work for contractors and they started out as oilers, which does require physical work putting the rigs together and taking them apart, moving dunnage for under the outriggers, climbing all over the machine to where the grease fittings are. Also many have experience in other trades such as laborers. I don't see any newbie just jumping into the seat of a crane right away for any contractor, with no experience. A dirt roller? Maybe, but not a crane. If your back hurts I recommend a chiropractor. I had some back pain, (not as severe as the original poster described), but the first visit to the chiro and it was gone, like flipping a light switch! I went to him for a while and soon I was 100% better, with no drugs, no surgeries. I would recommend that to anyone with back problems.

  13. #13CascadeScaper2010-12-03 01:21

    I'm 24 and don't have any back issues (yet) but I know they're coming if I continue to run dirt equipment. This is not a good business to be in if you have already had back issues. The only thing I could recommend is getting into the hoisting business running a crane. I myself am going down that road right now, I've been a full time dirt hand for 4 years, been running iron since I was in high school and dirt is what I know best but am venturing into the world of cranes and diversifying my training/skill set right now. Everything is slow right now for work, cranes and dirt alike. We are experiencing some pretty serious lulls, I had been with an outfit for a year and a half and we flat ran out of work so I got laid off about 3 weeks ago. For your back's sake you'd best stay off the anything that moves dirt.

  14. #14rino14942010-12-03 06:09

    If you came to me for a job and said that I can do no physical labor for a long time, but I can sit in a seat all day and operate, I would tell you to hit the road. I am sure other employers would do the same. Go back to school !!

  15. #15buckfever2010-12-03 17:52

    Also operating has to be in your blood. Anyone can teach you how to pull levers but you got to love it to be good.

  16. #16Buckethead2010-12-03 18:14

    + one! :drinkup :usa

  17. #17old dirt2011-01-15 19:05

    One thing to remember, you just don't tell a company you are a crane operator. You usually start as an oiler and in most states now, you usually have to be licensed. A lot of crane operating (not so much anymore) you have to know how to use a clam bucket, drive pile, drill caissons and use a drag line. Like I said, not so much anymore. You should know how to dredge on a barge, how to set sheets and drive with hammer and leads. Not all crane work is just getting into the seat and lifting the ball up and down. I would recommend some other occupation. One other thing, I don't think a skid steer would be very good on your back either. old dirt

  18. #18qball2011-01-16 14:00

    man, i must have run cranes all wrong, because i would come home beat to hell. straining to see the landing of the load, running the breaks, feathering the levers... not as easy as some make it sound.

  19. #19Tiny2011-01-16 14:18

    I'm not what Some of you have heard about crane operators but At My place of employment you going to be busy . Operators are in on the assembly and tear down of the machine they will run.. Its driving pins , climbing up and down , dragging cable , pulling pendant lines , Basically what ever it takes to put that machine on and off the job . And thats in what ever the weather is, hot ,cold or in between . I'm sure thats not everywhere you go but thats the deal where I work

  20. #20Buckethead2011-01-16 16:39

    That's true pretty much anyplace nowadays. And around here the smaller cranes don't get an oiler anymore, so you don't have the help you once had, either.

  21. #21Reel hip2011-01-20 10:57

    Keep using your brain. To get a job running equipment you need to start at the bottom. I have tried out operators that have learned from a school but they lacked "experience" The schools can teach you how to dig but they can't teach you why to dig there.Good luck

  22. #22Sharky2011-01-20 14:15

    The average lifespan of an equipment operator just dropped again. I think it is like 65 or something. So by the time you retire... YOU DIE Crane operators did not just become crane operators.. Many years of hard work and knowledge earned them that spot. Paving roller operators, also are Rakers and that means LOTS of labor most of the time, However not always and you may get lucky on that position. Most operators get beat to heck over time, I know I am. Your best bet if you are interested in the field is to be a truck driver, not much labor and dont always get beat up as bad. Unless your a good one, then you get out and help or drive anything that needs it. But really, unless your in management or an engineer your doomed..