At age 64, I've been forced to utilize AI in my professional life, which I'll admit is a useful tool. Naturally, I play with it for personal reasons. I was using it to compare dig rates for various backhoes and excavators. One of the components in the evaluation is "Cycle Time", (time for digging, lifting, swinging, and dumping). The assumed cycle time for excavators is 60 seconds per scoop and 90 seconds for backhoes. I don't believe the relative difference to be that great. AI lists the reference sources it uses and one of them was posts from this forum. Obviously, recommendations based on forum posts should be considered but not treated as Gospel. Any opinions on cycle time difference between TLBs and excavators??
First need to define what "cycle time" is. Is it digging a bucket full, swing, dump and return or loading a truck? To me "cycle time" is the time it takes to load a truck which various obviously with the size of the truck. For example - We were able to get a 90 second cycle time to load a Cat 725B with a 325DL trackhoe. Also depends on the material one is digging in as well. This material was sandy with sandstone and some shot rock. It was all pre-ripped with a D6R as well.
Where have you found AI that will give you a reference? When I have tried to press it to tell me why it says something it just tells you to read all the books yourself. Well the whole point is to get it to state its source so you can go read the pertinent section. Here is one I have been playing with. I believe TS stated the 18 speed transmission came out about 1993. Well AI insists that it came out in the 1960s some time. But won't give any references.
I would say that each dig cycle of an excavator would vary so much depending on circumstances and size of machine that an average time is nearly useless. Typically the smaller the machine the quicker the cycle. Like CM though, I usually think of load time of a truck as a cycle, calculated by loads per hour.
Weren't some of those old quadraplexes or 5+4's like 20 speeds or something? TS would be talking about a Roadranger, which is what everybody means when they say an "18 speed", but AI isn't that bright . . .
There was 5x4s, 4x4s, 4x3s, 16 speed air shift spicers, and all sorts of combinations people put together. Then you have the Mack quadraplexes like you menitoned, and as I recall IH had a proprietary trans that was similar to a quadraplex.
I haven't spent enough time on a backhoe to get fast, but I've always understood the advantage over an excavator of comparable size is that the cycle time is faster because you're only swinging the boom rather than the whole machine.
Depends on the definition of "cycle time".
I wonder how the AI crap would do with air traffic control?
Not to good evidently if they are already trying it.
I was thinking of things like trenching and digging what have you that the spoils can be cast within the range of swing. If you're loading a truck as you dig very often, excavator all the way.
Wait, what if you have to move materials. It’s not apples to apples, it’s more like apples to grapes. Using a backhoe to load a truck with the hoe, would be time prohibitive. Thats when excavator is for. Unless they mean backhoe front bucket vs excavator. Either way AI ought to stick with what it knows, how to replace humans. Permanentaly.
"Heavy Equipment Forum is Reference for Artificial Intelligence" so this explains all the DNS spambot attacks as of late ?
No that was targeted by humans. HEF always has net spiders combing over the site for search engine data.
Copilot
Cycle time for this purpose is digging a bucket full, swing, dump and return.
for this purpose it's digging a bucket full, swing, dump and return
Bote . . . Is that how "bot" is spelled in French?
I got the nickname "boat" when I was a kid because I loved fishing and the water. Had a boat long before I had a car. My oldest son, now 36, spelled it "Bote" when he was 5 so I've been Bote for 31 years. The nickname my wife gave me wouldn't have been appropriate lol.