...in honor of the upcoming football season. uhhh……...eerrrrr…….ummm……... NOOOOO!!!!! ENCROUCHMENT......……….10 yard penalty.
Must use shorter screws so as not to puncture the battery
Or short out on the cover/hood when lowered! And at least could have used stainless steel screws!
You got to do what you got to do to make money for the day. Probably did not have a proper selection of screws/shims/spacers to choose from. Use what is on the truck. That gets you through the day, then why mess with it the next day/week/month/year? You are busy and the machine is working, more important things to repair that are actually broken. You would like to fix it in the off season, but then there is no money coming in to pay for all the proper repairs. And then a couple dozen other repairs like that, and that is how a machine or truck turns into a rattle trap.
You guys are looking at that pic all wrong. Those are studs to add accessories!
I think the best one I saw was when an operator wired a nice new radio in to his machine and used all of the band-aids out of the first aid kit to cover up his wiring splices.
I think I posted here a few years back about a clever wire tap idea I came across. A sheet metal screw right into the insulation of the positive battery cable. If I can find a picture of that one I'll post it here.
Worked with another mechanic who was the owners brother-in-law . His philosophy was if some thing came loose once it would come loose again so he would weld it solid. What a PITA.
Had an guy like that. I would be drilling out broken bolts, chase the threads and install a new bolt. He would weld it. Make a simple job turn into an all nighter The simplest thing was welded. Door panels for gods sake, you have to get into the engine to check oil. I was in a rush was his excuse. That was about the time I got into a rush to leave that place. LOL
Ahhh come on Vtech.... haven't you ever been doing a job and seems like nothing is going right!!!! and nothing fits... so about then you just say Screw it!!!! and..... done
I will be including this pic with many others on all the electrical problems I found on this Ingersol Roller the last 2 days. That thread will be in the roller section. Found this jewel yesterday. The fuel shutoff solenoid wire is connected to the throttle solenoid wiring. OFFSIDES...………….10 YARDS from the spot of the foul!
I just need to find a 12volt hot wire..... any wire will do....
How about this one. LOL That stuff next to the burned fuse is NOT what is left of the fuse spades...…….that is TIN FOIL. Someone jammed tin foil in the fuse socket, then forced a fuse on top of it. PERSONAL FOUL...........TARGETING (FLAGRANT)...….15 YARDS, LOSS OF DOWN, AND YOU ARE EJECTED!
Yep, seen it before of course remember the tube fuses that would hold rimfire cartridges... seen that way more than once.
That type 4-place fuse holder is not rated for much current...I see a 40 amp fuse in another spot there too.
Gotta admit, I ran the old 9050B for almost a year with Vise grips holding the positive battery terminal in place... Forgive me father for my sins.
Here's scary stuff found on the interwebz. I have more, just gotta find em
Here's a handy little product for those pesky electronics systems . Especially when you follow advice like, "just short those wires together and see what happens. "
A little more giggles , ones a bit of a bummer, but so is reality.
I actually saw the terminal over the plastic protector once. Couldn't believe it.
I've seen almost all of what vtech posted I wish I'd have taken pics of some of this stuff!!! but I usually just can't believe what I am seeing and go straight to fixit mode... now I am not saying I haven't done some similar **** in the past(not the battery terminal one) when something *needs* to get running... but there is a limit to how far I push it ....sometimes
Last ones for tonight and don't forget the last one is a very clear message
If it fits it ships
You found a jar of Lucas smoke. That is like unicorn tears. So magical...
I seen the auto shop teacher do plastic on his advanced class to get them to not overlook the basics he made it to wear you couldn't tell it was in there and had just enough contact to make the circuit but that's it
Back when I would meet the tool truck, at the auto electric shop, saw all kinda things. Best one, hands down was the shrink wrapped battery, car came in on a rollback, guy had put BOTH terminals on, over the plastic, me and the mechanics were tryin to keep a straight face, as the genius that had installed the battery was sayin that the battery must be factory dead!
Something was 'factory dead' but I don't think it was the battery
I absolutely hate working on the 30-40 year old machines that come in, invariably beat to death. You can’t even take out a simple bolt without a decent possibility of it turning into a major production. Invariably it’s 99% on its way to being stripped out and removing it removes the last thread with it, the weld nut that it is inaccessible otherwise has broken loose and the bolt spins and has to be cut off, the sheet metal is sprung and will not be going back on smoothly, or my favorite, you find the hillbilly helicoil. What’s the hillbilly helicoil? When you pull out a bolt and find a length of safety wire has been wrapped around the bolt to give it enough grip to jam in there by the last person who removed the bolt and experienced the last thread departing the premises of the hole
Hillbilly Helicoil. I'll have to remember that one.........
Seen a LOT over the years, Farm repairs HAVE to be the worst, baling wire, some form of tape(not necessarily electrical or duct) and nails used as all manner of Fixes.
I’ve personally used vice grips on battery terminals in a pinch to hold the terminal on.
BTDT, Hadda pair of vice grips onna sediment bowl of the AC D-19 tractor, fer years... Finally got the $4 part (bail clip) a coupla weeks before I sold that tractor...
As an old farmer once told me, "If duct tape, chicken wire, or WD40 can't fix it, I don't need it around." He was mostly referencing his strong distaste for all the electronics, sensors and wiring on the new AG equipment.
Guilty...
Might be a great idea for the fourth!!!! heh heh
Dang you got me on that last one! Guilty as sin. This was on a 12V-71 in a Euclid truck. Got to the gravel bed out in the sticks to check out what I seem to recall as a no start problem. Believe they said it died and would not restart, cranked over good but that was all. Forget the whole trouble shooting procedure I went through but at some point I decided to pull the cover off the governor to have a look to see if things were moving in there like they should as the fuel pump drives off the front of the governor. Well that's when I noticed the lever on the underside of the governor cover was missing. That did not seem right so I poked around down inside the governor and to my surprise it was laying down in the bottom. How it managed to not get tangled up with the fuel pump drive yoke or the flyweights I have no idea! But after fishing it out found the pin that held it on the control shaft had sheered off and two short parts were in the lever and the other part was still in the shaft. As I did not have any spare governor parts in the truck and they only wanted this truck to run a few more weeks before it was coming to our shop for a rebuild they wanted to know if there was a way to get it running again. As I recall the pin that had broke was one of those with the crimp like parts in it that make it a press fit in a straight hole. A bit of rummaging around what passed for a shop at this place turned up some common nails that were a good fit in the holes believe it was a 16d and the little rib up by the head were enough to make it fit snug. Tapped it in and cut off the excess leaving about 1/8 inch to let me peen it over for a nice tight fit and we were good to go. Popped cover back on and hit starter and the 12V was back running! It never gave any more problems and when truck came in for engine rebuild that fall I replaced the nail with the proper pin.
How about bungee cord throttle control?
Had to do that a few years ago on a job: I was using out 410G loading out of a stockpile when all of the sudden I stepped the accelerator to go into the pile and it didn't come back up I was a bit younger and a quick thinker back then so almost instantly I put the side of my boot to the pedal and lifted it up Well got it under control and moved it out of the way and shut it down, so I look under the hood no springs in line with the throttle linkage... had to pull a side plate off the steering column to get to where the pedal shaft pivots and there was one of those around the shaft springs that brings the pedal back up... only spring in the system! anyways it was broke beyond even farm fixin' so I got a bungee off the truck and hooked it to the back of the gas pedal where the rod was and hooked the other end up to the dash somewhere... ran it for a couple weeks like that until could get the proper spring
Bungee cord door latch
I still have bungee cords holding a side window on my 580K closed because someone who thought they were smart forgot to lock the window and it blew open at 60 MPH. The glass was about $90 but the latch is $120....
I've seen so many bungee cords holding the door open on logging shovels that I was tempted a couple of times to ask the operators what the factory part number was for those things. They were always too short so you were risking getting one of the S hooks stuck in your hand when you were ready to shut the door. I've launched a few of them into the brush just letting go after getting the hook out of the crease in the door. After awhile I just left the door open when the job was done.
Experienced that with the Watermelon haul, quite the experience in a cracker Box Gimmy 6L71 throwing oil like a Road oiler and Rubber band tandem drive NO Belts on it. Door latches shot, bungies behind BOTH Seats.
I once had to pull a splined pump out of a PTO. It was a gut wagon heading off to rendering plant. Guy lost all hydraulics with the tub in the air. I take a look/ listen. He goes to pull a function and you can hear the shaft getting rounded off the rest of the way. I pull it back, jam some finish nails in there and bolt it back on. It was just enough to finish stowing the rack. I followed him back to make sure he dumped the load out into the floor. I wound up replacing both PTO & pump. That was nasty. Redneck engineering definitely has its moments. I can laugh about it now.
anybody see anything wrong in this pic.?
I want say that's the dipstick tube but it wouldn't be under the oil pan
A big waste of a good looking C clamp. I'm guessing the crankcase breather hose was hanging on the exhaust pipe and they used some duct tape and the clamp to keep from burning up the hose.
that is the hot lead from the battery
I'm talking about the big brownish looking thing with the duct tape on it. Is the battery lead rubbing against that bolt head too?
i picked this up from a job site , apparently some one had switched batts. in the machine and just drug the hot cable back across the exhaust pipe which burned through the insul. which then shorted & burned a hole in the pipe then put that rig up on as a fix. the batt. cable is not supposed to be any where near the exhaust . lucky the cable insulation did not flame up or we would have lost a good machine. its redone right now cable is back where its supposed to be, that big brownish tube is the batt, cable
LMAO.....WOW!!!!