Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulics suddenly stop working

Ccarbino ยท 2019-07-01 09:41

Hi just wondering if anyone can help I have a case 580 super e that is fairly new to me that all of a sudden lost all hydrolics and steering. Not sure where to start looking for the problem.

Replies34
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-07-01 13:01

    Welcome to HEF, Ccarbino ! Check the hydraulic pump shaft and see if it is turning. Part # 19 may have failed. It is on the front of the engine crankshaft.

  2. #2Ccarbino2019-07-01 17:47

    Pump shaft is turning but not very fast and not smoothly. Not sure how fast should be turning. Is #19 a part of the pump?

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-07-01 20:56

    Looks to be a connector, could go either way. Pull the pump and see what the splines look like...

  4. #4Ccarbino2019-07-01 21:05

    Do I need to remove the weight on the front to remove the pump as I have the extended hoe?

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-07-01 22:29

    Yes remove the counterweight. From the service manual --->

  6. #6boaterri2019-07-02 14:59

    A seemingly stupid suggestion but have you checked the hydraulic oil level? Don't ask how I come to offer this suggestion........ Rick

  7. #7Ccarbino2019-07-02 16:24

    Hydraulic oil level is good. Looks like the mounting cover is broken on the pump and case stated they do not sell this. also looks like the gear is worn all the teeth gone on the pump.

  8. #8Tinkerer2019-07-02 16:50

    Time for a new pump and hub. Something such as severe engine vibration caused the pump cover to break. I am guessing you meant the flange on it where it bolts to the mount. It would also be a good time to replace the engine mount rubber bushings. #4 on the front and there are rear ones also. Be sure to check the bolts where the front mount, bolts (#5) to the engine for proper tightness.

  9. #9Ccarbino2019-07-02 17:22

    Just changed the motor mounts a few weeks ago and the shuttle shift. Yes where it bolts, doesn't look like case sells that piece. It's cast so not sure if my guy can weld it, if so i just need to replace the shaft. Otherwise looks like a new pump.

  10. #10Tinkerer2019-07-02 20:56

    I wouldn't bother bother welding it. A new input shaft and the seal for it will be about $200.00 plus the coupler. If the weld breaks you will be buying a new pump and coupler anyway. That is my opinion for what it's worth. =$0.00

  11. #11Ccarbino2019-07-02 21:09

    Case quoted me part number n6888 $514 before taxes Canadian and case showed n6885 but does not sell it. Also coupler d140524 at $86.80 without the rubber mounts. I like your price better lol. I did find a used pump for 485.00. Thanks for all your help greatly appreciated.

  12. #12Ronsii2019-07-02 21:14

    The last case 580 I did with the stripped splines case had discontinued the pump but offered a slightly different replacement pump... could be the same with parts for the pump you have.

  13. #13Ccarbino2019-07-02 21:17

    After market pump case stated 1281.00 plus tax for the pump.

  14. #14DIYDAVE2019-07-02 21:18

    I'd try to find out the specs of the hyd system, flow GPM, and pressure PSI. Then measure the mount, and go to surpluscenter.com, you never know, there, sometimes they have an exact fit...

  15. #15Ccarbino2019-07-02 21:22

    Question when I put the pump back in do I have to bleed the system? I did not drain I just plugged. And if so do u know how?

  16. #16DIYDAVE2019-07-02 21:27

    Most hyd pumps self prime, self bleed. You might want to take this opportunity to pull the suction screen, and see if there is anything gumming it up. If there is, certainly change the fluid. if not, and I just dripped a grand on a new pump, I'd still put new fluid in it...

  17. #17Ccarbino2019-07-02 21:33

    Where is this suction screen? I found a used pump for less than 500 come from a newer machine but will fit.

  18. #18DIYDAVE2019-07-03 06:33

    Follow the suction line, from the pump to the reservoir, screen is in reservoir, most of the time. When all else fails, check the manual...

  19. #19mikebramel2019-07-03 10:04

    No way I'd pay 500 for a used gear pump. You can get a permco for near that price brand new

  20. #20Ccarbino2019-07-03 10:13

    I have no manual, what specs do I need to get a quote for a pump at permco?

  21. #21Tinkerer2019-07-03 16:43

    You do realize that part #N6885 is the front of the pump case only, right ? A new complete pump is available on eBay for $668.00 US. If you don't use EBay a Bing search shows quite few vendors selling them. https://www.bing.com/search?q=d1265...B6A4F5E99A418986C3578DAE2520DD&FORM=QBLH&sp=4

  22. #22Tinkerer2019-07-03 16:49

    Here is a new one for $ 678.00. https://www.advancedmachineryparts....nt-hydraulic-pump-d126580?variant=25740369799

  23. #23Ronsii2019-07-03 17:43

    You got that right!!!! A used hydraulic pump is no different than your pump 1 minute before it quit

  24. #24Ccarbino2019-07-03 19:29

    It's not so much the cost of the pump but it is the exchange and the shipment I am in Canada so shipment from US is 450 from UPS then dollar exchange to Canadian then in order to cross the border we have to pay duty. That is where the 1200.00 cost I gave earlier comes from. The used pump was no good so back to looking for a new pump.

  25. #25Tinkerer2019-07-03 20:45

    Finney Equipment on Ebay will send the pump to Canada UPS Standard for $129.69.

  26. #26Welder Dave2019-07-03 21:05

    Don't believe the crap e-bay puts up for shipping to Canada. I recently purchased a hyd. wheel motor and the e-bay ad said $500+ for shipping. I called the actual place that had the motor and ships UPS. Shipping was $89 for UPS ground and came on the expected day (6 days later). I think the prices e-bay quotes are for overnight air shipping or something. I was also worried about brokerage fee's and other charges. Of course had to pay GST and Canadian dollars but wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Motor was $1429 US which worked out to $1915 Can. Shipping, GST and all other charges came to $165 Can. No duty if the part is made in the US. I saved about $900 over going through the OEM that didn't have stock. Finney will take Paypal and ship USPS/Canada Post with all charges paid in one shot. I ordered arm rests from them.

  27. #27Tinkerer2019-07-03 21:27

    Interesting, Dave ! I have purchased many used parts from retired Case dealer in Canada and he sent everything from his hometown post office. I remember a starting motor was delivered to my post-office box address and it looked like it was wrapped in Canadian postage stamps. $98.00 worth LOL !

  28. #28Ccarbino2019-07-11 20:01

    Well bought the pump from Finney saved me about 300.00 , thanks for the info. Now question is there a way to line up the shaft on the hydraulic pump to the coupler because mine is a good quarter inch off center?

  29. #29DIYDAVE2019-07-11 20:44

    Try loosening up the pump, on its mount, and wiggling. might also have to loosen up motor mounts, and re-wiggle...

  30. #30Ccarbino2019-07-11 21:28

    The mount that the pump mount onto has four bolts mounting it to the motor do those bolts have adjustments? The pump is our waiting for the new one.

  31. #31Ronsii2019-07-11 22:03

    ????

  32. #32Ccarbino2019-07-12 18:38

    Mine does not look like that there is half inch thick plate that the pump bolts onto then it is bent on both ends 90 degrees then goes in and bolts onto the motor with two large bolts on each side and in the middle of that plate is the engine mount

  33. #33Ronsii2019-07-12 21:42

    Ooooops.... sorry I forgot which thread I was posting in , that isn't a case pump

  34. #34Tinkerer2019-07-13 07:28

    BAAAd news about the 1/4 inch off on the alignment. Evidently you were running the machine with loose mounting bolts on the old pump. As a result the mounting hole for the pump has been wallowed out. The pump mounting hole is precision located and drilled at the factory. The pump shaft and the engine crankshaft center lines HAVE to be in perfect alignment. If you want your new pump to last more than a couple of hours of run time you will need to replace the front engine mount with a good one. Even that isn't an ideal situation because every Case hydraulic pump mounting hole is tailor made so to speak for each individual engine. Time to start contacting salvage yards for a replacement front engine mount.