I'm getting ready to graduate from High School in about 5 weeks, I'm trying to decide what career path I want to follow, Heavy equipment operator vs automation engineer (programming industrial robotics) I have always been a fan of heavy equipment form day one. I have a heavy equipment operator school nearby, that has good reviews. Theirs also an apprenticeship program from the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE 18) that I could join that's four years long. I have a couple questions that would help me with making my decision. Question #1: as a heavy equipment operator do you tend to stick with one company for your entire career, or is their a lot of jumping from one employer to the next, I ask this because I'm just concerned about having a steady job, where I don't have to worry about being unemployed (but I do understand that this field can be unsteady). #2: In your opinion is it still worth getting into the HEO line of work. #3 what would be the best kind of company to work for in terms of the service they provide or just in general. I think that's all the questions I have for right now, I know you cant make the decision for me, but any advice, or answers to my questions would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.
I'm going to start this by saying I am in no way biased either direction!! Just some observations I have noticed.. If you go union you will be moving around fairly often unless you are sent to a big job that drags out a year or 2, even then you will probably have a few months downtime in the winter because not much moves when there is frost in the ground. Probably earn more in the union. If you are a good hard worker and join a decent sized excavating company that is non union you will probably start out as shovel guy for a year or 2, if you show initiative and willingness to learn and you will be busy all the time either operating or if you have a CDL thats another big plus. Probably won't be a 8-5 job like the automation engineering spot, nor will it probably pay as well for quite a while. if you do what you like you'll never work a day in your life...
Welcome to the Forums Jalexander16! That's a big question your asking that'll take many turns along your way through life. Of course your the only one that can answer that but we can give our own life experiences as reference. It all depends on what you want to do with your life and the money you want to make along the way. If you want to make money, I'd stick with automation engineer as that field will only continue to grow with technology. Us dirt movers haven't seen the pay increase for what we do rise in comparison with what we create, that may change as skilled workers become fewer and demand stays the same or increases. Time will tell but I foresee a changing pay scale for the craftsmen that know how to build a project. Then again life isn't all about money either. There is something about the smell of diesel, fresh turned dirt every morning and the sense of accomplishment when you can tell war stories about the projects you've been a part of. It's called "yellow fever" for a reason.
There is one other intangible benefit to working as a heavy equipment operator. It is the ability to point at something (building, bridge or roadway) and being able to say "I helped build that". It is something by grandfather used to say as we would drive around and he would point out churches etc that he had worked on as the finish carpenter/carpenter foreman. He would just point them out in passing but I could hear the pride in his voice in the job well done. In my job, the only thing I have to show for the days work is a pile of signed logbooks that no one will ever read. Rick
Thank you movindirt for the advice I really appreciate it, I think im leaning towards the union apprenticeship program, because it seems like a good opportunity, but im going to look at all my options and go from their. Thank you CM1995, I have been following your thread and the other members threads on showtime, everyday I check that section to see if their are new posts, you do some cool work. I'm pretty sure im going to go into heavy equipment because I have been playing in the dirt since I was a kid. I had all the tonka trucks, and countless models. I'm pretty sure I have "yellow fever". Thanks you boaterri, It would be nice to be able to pass things and think I help to build that, and that i have something to show for my time. Thank you guys for the advice, it is much appreciated and will aid me in making my decision.
I'm 29, whenever I ride around with friends and drive past something I built , it amazes them. They all think it's cool I can point out what I did and how it will be there for a long time. It is a sense of accomplishment for years to come My father was a ornamental stainless steel welder for years. About most of the stainless steel metal work in pittsburgh pa he had his hand in. It's the same feeling walking around the city pointing out things my dad made. There is a certain pride you get in building something you just can't get anywhere else. Go apprenticeship with the union. If you can get in and it's busy. I worked non Union for 9 years and the last year I went Union and it has changed my life a lot. Money is better jobs are different and there is a lot of different options. That's just my opinion though