I've been in the market for a new-to-me lowboy tractor for the past few years. I finally found something big enough for my taste, maybe even a little bigger than I needed but bigger is always better. 500 hp V-8 with a 12 speed, 20k front, 50k rears, jake, etc. I did not get the AC or the 18 speed I wanted but I think this ought to pull just about anything I will ever desire to move. If anyone has any history or information on the Mack model RD822s (1992) it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for an owners manual, wiring schematics and any other associated paperwork that I can find for this model. According to Mack, only about 233 of these were built. I figure it is a rare find. I've never seen anything else quite like it or as big. It is far bigger than my Superliner. I'm looking forward to getting the lowboy hooked up to this thing! If all of the stories that I've heard about the Mack V8's are true, then there will be nothing but flat grades on the horizon. I'm tired of living life in the slow lane with the old E6 350.
Make the truck a mutt and repower her with ISX or N-14 power with a 18spd then you will have a good lowbed tractor. A N-14 rated at 475hp will probably pull harder than the V-8 Mack. One of the local contractors has one but its a dump truck and its only for offroad its too slow and heavy for on road use. Truck runs 12.00R24 tires on it with big heavy suspension. If I was looking for a heavy haul tractor it would be a T-800H with C-15 Cat power 18spd 46,000lb rears double locks daycab. It is the most common lowbed tractor for my area. The truck will easily handle 140,000lb gvw loads some loads are not legal at 160,000lbs. Lowbedders will haul 50 ton machines in one piece no stripping them down. Mack really wasn't popular out here so big heavy trucks are not seen much at all. The heavy haulers was Kenworth,Pacific and Hayes but now its down to just Kenworth. T-800s are spec'ed as heavy as they can without being so heavy that they loose payload. The big thing about older odd ball sized trucks is collect up spare parts because the older trucks are going away fast. The emmission regs and the mafia DOT is killing the trucking industry.
Nice Mack. I'm sure it will work out great for you:thumbsup :thumbsup
That's one beautiful truck you found, very rare, and I'd be willing to bet that it will only increase in value if you keep it nice. As for the E-9 500 V-8, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything that will outpull it. I have a 440 hp E-9 in my 85 superliner, and can't believe how it will pull. Check out "bigmacktrucks.com". The folks there are very helpfull, and can tell you, or steer you in the right direction for anything you need to know.
Looks like he already found it. http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=2801 It is a really great site for Mack enthusiests. I'm a member there as well.
Sweet rig , i'd love to have that! Good luck with it. I also frequent bigmacktrucks.com doug
Looks like a DM800,I have driven them for years mostly with a 12cy concrete mixer on them.You may never need another tractor ) I think that Mack was still building good trucks in '92,can't say much about their newer stuff,I am not impressed with their product line these days.Ron G
nice
Not much on the road will out pull an E9. Just wouldnt want to front the bill for a rebuild should it ever need it. Thats one nice lookin truck, that should be great for a heavy lowboy. Plenty of power, good strong trans, good driveline. With that big motor i would worry about breaking u joints and axles if you have other drivers in there that dont really know what their doin
I hope it's better than the one I was associated with in Florida some years ago. Our dealership used one like this to haul PC300 Poclains and HD41 Allis-Chalmers tractors with. BUT, it was always down for something and often broke while out on the road. Lots of power, lots of trouble! Slim to none parts availability.
I doubt you will break the Mack driveline if its got Mack rears and Mack U joints. The truck is running smaller street rubber so I don't see any big problems. I imagine its on camel back suspension so if you have a detachable gooseneck trailer it might be tougher to work with. The one problem with those old heavy beasts is the truck is so heavy it eats up payload. That butterfly hood and steel fenders adds to the tare weight. A lowbedding company in Vancouver has a old boy with a B model Mack its been fixed up and modernized to gross B.C.s 140,000lb gvws. Its definatly a sleeper you wouldn't think there is 550hp under the hood. He is the typical trucker from the 60s and he must be in his late 60s. The old Macks are prone for rust so keep her clean and out of the road salt many old macks that were on the West Coast had bad cab rot like the Louis fords.
Thanks to all for the input. To Ford LT9000, if money was no object, I would consider a repower with a Cummins KT 1150 like the one that is in my dozer. Money and time are critical factors in life so that is not an option. I, too, like the Kenworth T800's but it is the money factor and what is available in my price range that made the purchase decision. The truck only has 90k miles on it and runs like new. I will be the only driver and I take care of my equipment so few worries about the idiot factor holding the wheel. I rarely put on 3k miles per year so it will be one of those "Sunday Driver" vehicles when I part with it. Does anyone have any good remedies for rust? I need to do a lot of detail sandblasting and scraping to catch it before it gets too far along. I don't plan to retire this truck anytime soon as long as it works out for me. Thanks again to all for the input. This is what makes the forums GREAT!
Sandblasting a truck cab really isn't that good of a idea. Using a plastic media to blast with is okay or walnut shells. Sandblasting distorts tin but is okay on the chassis. The sand gets into places you don't want it. The best rust proofer is fluid film it protects really well in areas where you don't see. With the cab remove the orange cancer and replace it with new metal than use a good primer and paint. A good body shop can do a good job for you on the cab. A 4000psi powerwasher with a rotary cleaning head will take off the grease and loose rust. Then its scraping and grinding and chipping. Its going to take time and patience along with some money to fix the orange cancer.
Nice RD! It remember me the RD 8x4 owned by the defunt company Vose? Anyone remember that RD or, better, have a photo about it?
Great looking rig. LT 9000 is right about the pressure washer. If you have one that will heat the water to 210 degrees F like mine does so much the better. A little degreaser put on ahead of time will make the job easier too. In my opinion you can't beat the older Macks for heavy haul. Love my Superliner to death with it's E7 400 turned up and 18 speed.:bash
That is a beautiful find my friend. I bet that Mack V8 would run right next to the N-14. That truck will sure as hell get the job done ! What trailer does it pull ? Again, beautiful rig !