Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new dumptruck

fireman050 ยท 2007-09-03 13:21

i am in the market for a new dumptruck it will be one of 5 choices mack freightliner,peterbilt,interntional,kenworth it will have a tri axle and a demolition dumpbody on it and a pintle hitch do any of you have any good pics of these type of trucks and what do you think i should get

Replies30
  1. #1Ford LT-90002007-09-03 19:51

    One word KENWORTH Try find a T-800 Kenworth it will be the best choice of the bunch it will cost you probably 10 grand more but you got a truck that will last. The truck equal to a Kenworth would be a Western Star.

  2. #22004F5502007-09-03 20:52

    x2, kenworth t800

  3. #3mxsledder2007-09-03 22:12

    x3 t800

  4. #4Bob Horrell2007-09-04 01:14

    I would also agree on a Kenworth T800. But LT-9000 makes a good point on the Western Star. I have been very happy with mine and it was considerably less than a comparable T800. Western Star makes a good vocational truck if it is set up right for the job.

  5. #5KW Kat2007-09-08 08:22

    X 4 T800 You can't go wrong with a Kenworth - even a T600 or the baby, T300

  6. #6CM19952007-09-08 10:55

    I have been happy with my '07 Mack. It has the 405HP ('04 EPA emissions) with Allison 6sp auto, OX demo bed with high lift gate, air lift third axle, pintle hitch with air and electric to the rear. The '07 Mack Granites have 4 more inches of room in the cab - it makes a big difference over the '06 Granite cabs. It handles 25T pretty well and will pull a 55K tag trailer with a 953C on it like it is not back there. It only has 10K miles on it so the jury is still out. Here is a pic.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002007-09-08 12:06

    Mack has come a long way with the Granite vocational series they are not like the old R models used to be which was bare bones basic cab with lower hp.

  8. #8CM19952007-09-08 16:58

    I agree. If the R model was the only choice I wouldn't have a Mack.

  9. #9Lashlander2007-09-08 19:52

    Sharp lookin truck CM.:usa

  10. #10alco2007-09-09 00:26

    We;ve always called the R model Macks "penalty boxes". I'll have to agree with the others and say T800 for my input as well. I liked the Pete 357 we used to have as well, but the KW is a far better value, and a darn nice truck to boot. I got my license on a T800, tough truck all around. Brian

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-09-09 18:04

    The older the Mack was I think it still come with a seat stuffed with straw With todays trucks and the driver comfort being the most important things are changing from noisy rough riding back breaking to smoother riding and easier to drive trucks. Vocational trucks are hard on a persons body because of the conditions the truck is in. Also the truck is usually spec'ed heavier than a truck tractor so the truck rides rougher. How many of you have bad backs and pinched nerve problems from being bounced around in a truck ? Kenworth has always seemed to produce a driver friendly vocational truck it started right from the A model. The cabs on the old A models are a little tight if you are a taller person. The B model cab is a little better with the W-900B or the C-500B. Then the T series come out which really went over well in the vocational truck market with the set back steer axle. The T-800 started in 88 or somewhere around there and its little brother T-450 with a smaller hood. The old W-900s were good trucks but needed a football field to turn. Western Star wasn't too far behind Kenworth with their 4800-4900 series trucks both full hood (not ant eater) trucks. The older pre constellation cab Stars had a tight cab you think Petes are narrow Star Car was narrow too. Then from the late 60s to 97 the Louisville Fords were in the mix lots of them sold.

  12. #12ddot4302007-09-14 11:17

    my fav is by far peterbilts - anybody and even body can look cool in a peterbilt. Even if you just traded off a KW for it

  13. #13Countryboy2007-09-14 18:59

    Welcome to HEF ddot430! :drinkup

  14. #14fireman0502007-09-15 02:20

    wow that is a very nice looking truck the truck i currently use is an old gmc top kick which is a piece of junk

  15. #15bill53622007-10-31 22:23

    I have 2007 Freightliner tandem axle with a rolloff 20000lb front axle 46000lb rear double frame front to rear 8LL trans, and 330hp mercedes engine. This is a great truck and I look at all of them the cab has plenty of room and great visibility, extremely happy with it. We also have 2 other freightliner roll off late 90's and the work well too, the three average 6.5 miles per gallon. I also a DM Mack dump truck, not as much room in the cab and not quite as comfortable but for the off road and on road work with do with it I would have anything else but a dog. Oh yea we have complete gone thru the truck and getting ready to change out the dayton wheel and put hub piloted with dura bright polished aluminum. Just my two cents.

  16. #16Countryboy2007-11-01 18:09

    Welcome to HEF bill5362! :drinkup I take it you've got your posting issues taken care of?

  17. #17thejdman042007-11-01 20:18

    pete or kw

  18. #18980cCrusher2007-11-18 20:44

    Personally I am partial to the LTL-9000. That was the best riding truck I had ever run. It had a powerfull 550 cat sitting not so quietly under that big 'ole hood with an 8 dbl L for that climbing ability and quick acceleration. I forgot who said they had the TopKick but I do feel your pain on those.

  19. #19Preppypyro2007-11-21 23:20

    I drive kenworths at work, they arent bad. Pete sure has a good rep though...

  20. #20BIGDAN3152008-01-30 11:11

    Bigdan315 I am looking at a 86 9000 right now with a n14 cummons, tandom dump. Old truck I know but in good condition. any inputs on this truck?

  21. #21chico2008-03-25 10:01

    I just bought a 1992 peterbilt 359 tri axle and I love it.

  22. #22THEDIESEL2008-03-25 20:02

    I like the Freightliners.

  23. #23Boophoenix2008-03-25 22:26

    I'm very pleased with my WS 4964. It's a 2000 with a 3406E ( 475 hp ) and an 8LL and OX bed. Takes a couple of football feilds to turn it around as I've been in set back axles for nearly a decade. cab could be a bit roomier, but as far as quality I'd not hesitate to look at another. Bed is still in great shape for a 2000 model truck. It could use a gate some day but still seats up tight enough with maybe a 16th of an inch gap at the worst place.

  24. #24Duke2008-03-27 14:59

    How do you like that ally 6 speed?

  25. #25LaLaMan2008-03-27 16:36

    WHats the difference in truck if you can get the same motor, same rears, same tranny, same suspension? Arent Pete and Kennys almost identical since they are both made by Paccar? The only diffrent one is the Mack since you can get all Mack parts. And I know alot of the Stars use MBE motors.

  26. #26tomsy2008-03-28 02:59

    mack lol

  27. #27camara2008-03-28 07:48

    Autocar! A real mans truck!:usa

  28. #28CM19952008-03-28 07:49

    The Allision is great for what we do. I have 3 Macks all with Allision's: 1- tri-axle dump and 2- hook lifts in my roll-off company. When the tri is unloaded you can have some fun at the red light. Light turns green and get heavy into the pedal. The allision is very quick off the line and shifts briskly - you should see the look on some people in the cars around you when a dump truck takes off and leaves them. You gotta have a little fun every now and then. The tri-axle will carry 25 tons with the auto trans very well ( I can carry 25 tons legally on my tri in Alabama). The two hooks rarely see 15 tons of weight - but they really benefit from the auto. It's very easy to position a box with an auto and just generally easier on the driver in urban stop and go traffic. Our drivers really enjoy having the auto at the end of the day. We have one with 80K miles on it and no problems. Just keep the fluids and filters changed.

  29. #29PETE3792008-03-31 18:36

    No such thing as a real Mack anymore.

  30. #30Highwood52008-03-31 19:41

    T800 vote #6! Have to be careful with a pete as a lot of them were speced with big power and smaller axles for running highway(cows,flatdeck,etc). Find a truck w 44's or 46's and a tranny with a deep first & second gear for vocational use as a good starting point. We have a w900 currently and the guy who mentioned the football field was definetly correct, I think it has a wheel cut of something like 38 degrees, most set back front axle trucks manage 50degrees or better.