hey guys I need some advise I am looking to get a CA legal rig (bridge length) What is the recommended wheel base I should get for the truck? I am not sure which way to lean towards for the trailer I will be doing oilfield transport as well as regular freight and heavy equipment and need the most versatile setup Step Deck / Stretch step deck / Oilfield? Lowboy? Stretch Lowboy? What configuration?
anyone?
This is the setup I am looking at getting How much weight can I legally carry with each setup? Truck http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3168653& Trailer option 1 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2974905& Trailer option 2 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1830854&
In California you're allowed 20K on the front axle 46,750 on the drives and 60,000 On the 16 tire trailer with a permit and the trailer spread to 10foot... with this said i would get a Murray 16 tire and a set up like this...
Is their a way to get permitted for the actual GVWR of your truck and trailer? Truck 20K lb steer 20K lb Pusher 46K lb Drives Total 86K lbs Trailer GVWR 3+1 setup 100K lbs Truck & trailer Total GVWR 186K lbs Weight of truck and trailer= 46K lbs Net weight on rig allowed 140K lbs
The pusher axle wont help you here in california and the truck you're looking at only has a 14.6k front end. So the most you could weigh on the truck would be 60,600 lbs. The 3 axle trailer would allow 60k on the group with permits but you would be over california's 40' kpra limit when empty. forget about the 4 axle trailer here, that wont do you a bit of good.
Sorry I forgot to mention I am looking at trucks with a 20K front axle as well. The truck would be mostly be in ND, UT, CO, NV, OR,WA, MT,WY as well as CA For running those states which trailer would be better the 16 tire 2 axle or the 4 axle I posted? For the red 4 axle trailer I posted can you buy an annual blanket permit for being over the 40' kpra? also can you buy an annual permit to take advantage of the trailer's full 100K gvwr? thanks, dzlnut
Althou I am not from Cali. I am sure your annual weight permit covers only items that can not be reduced in a reasonable amount of time and labor. This is also is the intention of over width and length. Correct me if I am wong but it would seem you are under the impression that with mentioned permits you can load with LTL to max. This is not the case as the permits languge would not allow this. muzy
For the annual CA permit I was talking about being over the 40ft Kingpin to rear axle length As far as weight I accidently put annual With a overweight permit I want to know what is the most amount of weight I could put on a truck with a 20K front 20K pusher axle (outside CA) 46K rears and the red 4 axle lowboy trailer in CA & outside of CA in the states I mentioned.
actually the drop axle on the truck will get you about 57k or 58k on the drives in CA. i forget how much it is exactly. But you have to get the truck certified by caltrans, and you cannot be able to adjust the drop axle pressures inside of the cab. The 4 axle trailer gets you nothing more in CA, I'm not sure but i don't even think they will let you run with it on the ground.
I don't get it, all 5 of our brandt style trucks have the drop axle on them and I've never had a problem traveling CA with them.
So the 3 options for lowboys I am looking at are 50 ton, 60 ton and 70 ton What would my CA legal choices be? Can you run expendable trailers in CA with a over length permit?
You have a few issues you are trying to deal with here and not really sure how to cover all of them without knowing exactly what kind of weight you are hauling on a daily basis. Based on the info in this post a 16 tire trailer may not be the best option for you even as much as I would love to sell you one! Half of the states you would be going into do not recognize the 16 tire grouping so it would be worthless to you in that case. If you do want to go the 16 tire route we do build new model just in the last couple years called the "Professional Plus" that has the standard 16 tire group then a removable air ride booster on the back so it would turn the trailer into a 3 axle trailer so it would be usable in states that do not allow a 16 tire group. The other option you have is to go with a straight three axle trailer. The key with this is to keep the trailer under 48' and a king pin to center axle of 40' otherwise you will have problems in CA with permitting. You can do it with a longer trailer but unless you can justify the length with the load you are hauling then Caltrans will deny your permit. With the 48' Overall trailer you can go anywhere in CA on the STAA routes without permits but off that route you will need to lift the rear axle and get it down 40' king pin to be legal. We have built a heavy duty three axle in the past with a longer gooseneck set up for a truck with a drop axle and 20,000lb front and that set up was able to scale about 107,000lbs. As for running expandable trailers, Yes you can do that without a problem but they will not issue the permit unless the load can justify the length
I'd personally try to find a lighter truck.... To begin with anyway. I dont think even California is clear on California's rules
Trying to operate in California is like trying to operate in a foreign country. Some things make perfect sense and simple and easy and others make you scratch your head and wonder what was going through the head of the person that came up with the regulation.
Just started looking for a heavy haul setup. Any idea how much I can run on a 16 tire grouping in CA with 102" width? Caltrans website says 60k, but sounds like only if 120" wide.
46,760 pounds at 102" wide but all 16 tire lowbeds expand out to 10' wide
In California you're allowed 20K on the front axle 46,750 on the drives and 60,000 On the 16 tire trailer with a permit and the trailer spread to 10foot...
Thanks for the replies. Another newbie question. How do the ngb trailers spread? Have 10 years exp hauling my own equipment (nothing larger than 200 class excavator), just new to the ngb lowboys. Biggest I expect to haul would be 623 scraper or D8r. Tia
here is how they expand... http://www.murraytrailer.com/new/Professional/professional02.html