I am working on a couple a tricky crane lifts and looking for a little advice. These are no 100,000lb lifts or anything but are precision steel castings with a lot on the line. There is also issue that the factory lifting rigging is no longer with the equipment. I also have one piece that was just never really designed to be lifted in the horizontal, on vertical. It is a column. All this stuff has been moved with a forklift before but we have a crane... I am to crunch the numbers BUT sometimes it just does not work perfect. I have two pieces that look like short tables. 12ft long, 4ft wide, 3ft tall. Really nothing to lift with so I was going to rig some type of strap sling with double basket connection. We were also going to design and build a quick spreader bar to get nice vertical lifting to the device. I am sure we could use it later. I will run the numbers to make sure it is right, not wing it. I have some questions on the use of chains vs straps. flat strap vs "round" (never used). When I have used nylon or poly straps, I really liked how they don;t pop and scare you. However, I am not sure what experienced lifters prefer. As well, it has been realized that two OEM lift points will need something other than the installed eyebolts. They are 1.25" but need to lift at 0* or 90* from true vertical tension lift. I figured I would get some hoist rings but at $350 a pop each for a one time use on this job, I cannot justify it. We can drill a hole in some plate much cheaper. Sorry if I sound like a cheap ass.... I am curious if there are any other lifting rings we should consider? might also be curious to hear of any good or bad experiences in related lifts. I am trying to gauge how puckered I need to get here. I have several castings to move, the heaviest is 21K, next is 13K, 11K, 7K, 5K.
No replies yet.