Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota D1402 freeze plug size and block heater location

dkmc · 2014-01-27 19:05

My Kubota D1402 has freeze plugs on both sides of the block .....2 or 3 on each side I think. Are they all the same size as the ones in the front/back of the head and can I put the Zerostart 1-3/8 diameter block heater in any of them?? The Zerostart heater I got is 1-3/8 (35MM) dk

Replies24
  1. #1Lee (MN)2014-01-27 22:38

    I have installed several heaters in the 3 cyl Kabota's, If I remember correctly it is a threaded heater and goes on the rh side towards the back, there is a plug that takes a big allen wrench. May have different applications, good luck with it! Lee

  2. #2dkmc2014-01-29 23:00

    Thank you for responding with your story about a completely different heater than the one I have that provides me with -zero- helpful info... Best of luck to YOU

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-30 11:33

    Well if you don't like it, do your own research. Seemed like a helpful suggestion to me.

  4. #4dkmc2014-01-30 17:27

    And how could you say it 'seemed helpful'? He's talking about a completely different model heater and not one word on answering my question about the size of the freeze plugs. Your post was equally as helpful...and clueless.

  5. #5Delmer2014-01-30 18:06

    Coming from a guy who can't figure out how to use a tape measure... or spend 30 seconds on google.

  6. #6dkmc2014-01-30 18:32

    You goggle it smart guy.....see what you get. Like I didn't try that first.... And IF I could get to the freeze plugs easily, I would use dial calipers not a tape measure there.....Mr precision.

  7. #7Delmer2014-01-30 19:36

    D1102, D1302, D1402, D1403, D1703, S2800 (3 cylinder) Part No. Watt Volt Diameter Type Repl. Cord 3100025 400 120 35mm Freeze Plug 3600006 Installation Information: Install in back of head. Point element 2 o'clock http://www.fuelinjection.net/zerostart/ahi_zerostart.pdf Seems most Kubota's use a 3/4", but not your's. I don't know what "install in back of head" means, but I swear I didn't make that up.

  8. #8dkmc2014-01-30 20:08

    Yep 3100025 Thats the one I have, not the threaded one. And it would be a really tight fit to put it in the "back of the head" because it's in a skid steer and room is tight. So... Now lets go back to my original question: My Kubota D1402 has freeze plugs on both sides of the block .....2 or 3 on each side I think. Are they all the same size as the ones in the front/back of the head and can I put the Zerostart 1-3/8 diameter block heater in any of them?? I can see that I'll probably have to somehow try to get in to the side of the block and attempt to measure one of those plugs with calipers to see if they are 35mm but I was hoping someone may have already installed the 3100025 in the side freeze plugs. Trying to call Kubota USA and ask a tech is a study in time wasting.

  9. #9Lee (MN)2014-01-30 22:46

    WOW,,,,,,,, sorry for the miss info, I assumed you had the wrong type of element, and was simply offering what I have ran across,,,,,,,,again good luck with it or not!!!!!!!

  10. #10Delmer2014-01-31 08:55

    Most likely they're the same size plugs, but what you want to know is if there's room for the heater before you remove the plug. Hopefully somebody has tried it, or has a junk block sitting around?

  11. #11adkhomeboy2014-02-01 19:55

    I have had the best luck with ordering a new freeze plug.for proper sizing.atleast you have one to drive back in if thing dont work out,

  12. #12dkmc2014-02-03 12:53

    I fully agree with both Delmer and adkhomeboy.... I am reluctant to remove a plug from the side of the block, because I wonder if there is room for the heater to fit in the hole. it would be a GREAT idea to have a spare freeze plug (or two) on hand IF the heater will not fit...

  13. #13mikekc442014-02-10 16:45

    I have the same issue, I just bought a freeze plug style block heater for my bobcat with the d1402. Im sure the freeze plugs are 1 3/8 on both sides of the block but I dont know if the block will accept the block heater in all the holes. The easy ones to reach are the ones on the right side of the engine facing the motor from the back of the machine. My instructions say to put the heater in the right front, it doesnt say which end of the motor your looking from tho. LOL I saw the threaded block heater with the 1" npt thread, but didnt see the pipe thread hole with the allen plug the first guy was talking about. Hummm guess I will take pot luck and just try the front freeze plug on the right side looking the engine from the back of the machine.

  14. #14mikekc442014-02-10 16:47

    By the way, thank you Lee, Im gonna look for that threaded plug before I start hammering out the freeze plug, I may just trash the freeze plug heater and buy the treaded one.

  15. #15dkmc2014-02-10 17:00

    Hi Mike.... Do you mean you will try to install the heater on the -injection pump- side of the engine? My 1402 in my 342 Mustang sits in there inline with the injection pump on the left side of the machine. I can't even see the back of the head where the threaded plug is supposed to be. I was thinking about trying the center plug on the injection pump side of the engine.....its the easiest one I can get to on my machine. Please let me know here which freeze plug you are trying to install in....and if you are successful in getting the heater in there. If you go with the THREADED unit, please post the Zero-Start Model number.... thank you dan k

  16. #16mikekc442014-02-10 17:17

    No I think Im gonna try to install it on the opp side from the injection pump and starter. Its a lot easier to get to those freeze plugs. I went back and looked for the threaded plug and couldnt see it. I guess popping out freeze plugs not that big a deal. Ill post my results when Im done

  17. #17dkmc2014-02-10 17:34

    Woa.......we must have different setups for sure. On my Mustang, the engine is in there with the water pump facing the back (right there as you open the back door). It's an inline engine setup. The Inj Pump is on the left, exhaust manifold and starter is on the right.....left/right as you would sit in the seat of the machine.

  18. #18ahosmer2017-10-29 19:54

    I just popped those "easy" plugs, due to rust through pin holes. I was hoping I could just pop in a block heater but the one I bought doesn't fit and I'm having a hard time finding a definite recommendation for a different part. My Bobcat 743 has a Kubota V-1702. I bought the zero-start 3100093, described as for M B & L Series 3, 4 & 5 cyl Engines. On further research, their configurator shows that I should have bought the 3100025 and install it at the rear and oriented to 2 o'clock. Alternately, Messick's shows a 70000-00297, which looks like the one I have but includes a bushing that gives the element enough room before hitting the cylinder wall. Mike, did you have any luck installing in the near, right freeze plug (standing at the back of the machine, looking forward)? Has anyone used the Zerostart 3100025 or Kubota 70000-00297 in the "easy" plug holes? Thanks for the help, Andrew

  19. #19DIYDAVE2017-10-29 20:34

    4 year old post, last time the OP visited, was on the 18th...

  20. #20ahosmer2017-10-29 20:41

    Oops, thanks. I was so glad to see the description like mine that I didn’t notice the date.

  21. #21ahosmer2017-11-07 21:02

    A quick follow up... I ordered the Messick's part with the stand off bushing (Kubota 70000-00297 Block Heater Kit $66.48) and all is well. See pics for install in right side, 2nd freeze plug back.

  22. #22DMiller2017-11-09 16:54

    So what is the story on the cooked stick/cable/hose to the left in the picture? You fix/recover that as well?

  23. #23Welder Dave2017-11-09 23:34

    I think it's the crankcase vent hose. On my skid steer with a Kubota V1902B it just hangs down with no bottom support. It used to kind rest against the voltage regulator but I have a different alternator now with a built in regulator. I had my block heater start leaking and it was installed on the back of the head. Found out when I started the machine in the morning after being plugged in. Steam everywhere when I revved it up. Obviously worked until the system built up pressure. Got it on the trailer and took to a shop out by my land where I could back the trailer right in. Then picked up the tractor to do the snow clearing job. Was an easy fix but not having a heated shop to work in or being familiar with it, took to a repair shop. It was about -20C and I think it took them 20 minutes or so replace it.

  24. #24ahosmer2017-11-10 06:56

    Yup, it's the vent hose. Ugly, but clear. While I had the coolant drained for the freeze plugs, I replaced the radiator hoses and water pump so now this is the only vintage hose left. It really stands out now so it's moved up on the list...