Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heavy load in Fort McMurray

Partsdude ยท 2008-08-21 11:23

Pictures are worth 1000 words .... look at the side railings of the bridge

Replies21
  1. #1Partsdude2008-08-21 11:25

    And a few more .... Crazy stuff going on up there.

  2. #2DR RPM2008-08-21 11:45

    I'm not crossing that bridge again.:bash

  3. #3John Banks2008-08-21 12:11

    is that the deflection in the bridge from the weight? Or just an optical illusion?

  4. #4Partsdude2008-08-21 12:17

    Deflection. Scary as all heck imho.

  5. #5JD40202008-08-21 12:24

    Excuse me but DAMN! Id be haulin @$$ away from that bridge! But that is AMAZING, Mamoet only has that one Peterbuilt right? I thought I read that somewhere.

  6. #6JD40202008-08-21 12:26

    HEY! THATS A KENWORTH THERE! Nevermind. :drinkup

  7. #7knucklehead982008-08-21 17:20

    If it don't bend, it will break. THose are some amazing pictures !!!!!!!!!

  8. #8JD40202008-08-21 18:11

    It still doesnt look like fun!

  9. #9bigblueox2008-08-21 20:26

    what is that thing?

  10. #10LowBoy2008-08-21 21:03

    I like it...:thumbsup

  11. #11Tanstaafl2008-08-21 21:07

    Here's a thought for you, most bridges you drive across deflect an inch or two all the time if heavily loaded. I'm guessing they probably did check with the engineer before they crossed that one though.

  12. #12Dig-UP2008-08-21 21:27

    Now that's impressive...

  13. #13JD40202008-08-21 21:52

    I know, its not really that big of a problem, the bridge is simply doing its job. But look at the railings in the last pic. I could be up there with everybody else, but you cant tell me that you wouldnt feel a little odd seeing that railing flex, I know I would.

  14. #14OzDozer2008-08-22 00:13

    Steel is designed to deflect under load, a whole lot more than concrete .. the bridge is doing its job. Sure looks scary, but any engineer will tell you that the deflection is allowable. The really amazing part that most people don't see .. is how much a long bridge shrinks in the cold, and grows on a real hot day. Many long steel bridges have rollers or hinges one end, to allow for the movement, which can be anywhere between 2 and 8 inches. Sydney Harbour Bridge spreads and shrinks up to 7 inches, and the arch, rises and falls up to 7 inches, just with heat and cold contractions. I'll wager that Canadian bridge does some sizeable shinking and growing between the depths of a Canadian winter and the heat of a Canadian summer ..

  15. #15redline2008-08-22 02:52

    holey ..... WOW

  16. #16AtlasRob2008-08-22 16:59

    Quite amazing. What the *ell is it? and dont say a truck hauling a wide load

  17. #17Partsdude2008-08-22 18:45

    It's 2 trucks hauling a really wide load .... errr ... ummm It is a similar part to this load - http://www.dobmagazine.nickles.com/printer.asp?article=profiler/070501/PRO2007_Y10021.html Has do do with removing the sand from the tar sand, or, it is part of the hydrocracker which breaks down the hydrocarbons into easier to transport oils etc...

  18. #18AtlasRob2008-08-23 12:17

    :notworthy :thumbsup thanks for the link, very intresting.

  19. #19alco2008-08-23 17:59

    That's a coker bound for the CNRL Horizon Project. It's basically a major part of the process to remove excess carbon from the oil during the upgrading process. Much more detailed than that, but it's easier to understand like this. Brian

  20. #20buddy6052008-08-24 08:24

    Now I may be wrong but the last time I was up there that was a bridge to nowhere. I would say 97-98

  21. #21DPete2008-08-24 10:52

    Wonder if any concrete cracked. Never seen pics of a bridge flex like that, thanks for sharing.