Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Know the height of what you are hauling

Partsdude ยท 2008-08-25 09:56

This is a gooder.

Replies53
  1. #1Partsdude2008-08-25 09:58

    And some more ..

  2. #2Partsdude2008-08-25 10:00

    Last one ...

  3. #3tonka2008-08-25 10:47

    thats been posted somewhere on here before i think...........

  4. #4will_gurt2008-08-25 16:49

    And this makes three times...........

  5. #5hvy 1ton2008-08-25 16:59

    it's still impressive every time i see it. The truck had enough momentum to break the gooseneck when the trailer stopped.

  6. #6milling_drum2008-08-25 18:49

    I feel bad for the driver...I saw a dump truck go under a bridge once with the body up, that wasn't pretty either.

  7. #7digger242j2008-08-25 18:56

    Yeah, but I don't think the other times had as many close up shots of the machine itself. This is a good addition.

  8. #8Grader4me2008-08-25 19:55

    Yes, I've seen them before but not these close up shots. Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

  9. #9LowBoy2008-08-25 20:06

    I don't believe for a minute that was driver's error...It's a new concept being tried out for cutting bridges in half. Yeah, that's the ticket...:yup

  10. #10tonka2008-08-25 20:09

    Yeah wasn't that last week on the X bronx?

  11. #11LowBoy2008-08-25 20:20

    Were you thinking...Is that who I think it is under there?:beatsme (Don't worry, I won't be offended.)

  12. #12truck6082008-08-25 20:54

    I did that about 12 years ago. It wasn't pretty. I thought something dropped out of the sky. Took me a few years to feel comfortable going under overpasses. Not one of my prouder moments.

  13. #13Grader4me2008-08-25 21:21

    Lol..No, I never even thought of you. Quilty complex???

  14. #14LowBoy2008-08-25 21:34

    I guess I'll admit it now, it's been long enough... When I was 16 about 100 years ago, I was driving a DM 600 Mack for this cheapskate that paid us 3 employees a whopping $4.00 an hour each for driving, and he wanted those 10 loads from the quarry to his plant every day. He was a little sawed off Italian fella that screamed, not spoke at you no matter what he was saying. A real meatball of a guy. The trucks were all junk, no brakes, and gigantic steel bodies that we'd load to the gunnels every load with shot rock from Tilcon in North Branford, Ct., and haul to his old dilapidated crusher in Hamden, about a 10 mile one way run. The levers for the PTO and the dump pump were between the seats, and they were really long so the PTO would jump in gear on you when you least expected it. I just got onto I-91 empty and was pouring the coals to that powerhouse of a 237, and slid her into the biggest cog it had in that quadbox, when another truck came flying up alongside me and was pointing, waving, going about nuts. I'm thinking, "what's wrong with this fool" to myself, when all of a sudden...KAAABAAANGGG!!!I look in the mirror and see pieces of the exit 7 sign streaming all over the highway, aluminum shrapnel everywhere, and my body's straight up in the air. I mowed the exit sign completely off it's perches with the cab protector. I jumped on the pump lever to let the body down, but it didn't come down because it had one of those old style cam-over hoist systems that if it went past the point of no return, you had to slam the brakes on to get it to spring forward past the cam. So here I am now, sweat beading off my forehead, slamming the brakes on repeatedly on the interstate of all places, and finally get the body down. Unfortunately though, the cab protector was bent up 90 degrees like a wind deflector, or "polish snowplow" as the old timers often referred to them as. The corner welds were torn, so I'm going down the road with this enormous steel billboard flopping in the breeze. I never heard a single word to this day about the damage to the sign on the highway, but boy did I hear from old Mr. Esposito about having to fix the cab guard. It cost him about an hour with his loader holding it down and about 6 welding rods that night, but he wasn't happy unless he was screaming at somebody for something.:drinkup Had that been a bridge instead of that highway sign, it wouldn't have been so pretty. About a month later, I had to wheel into a gas station to use the restroom in a bad way...I mean I went in there backwards. I parked the truck so all I did was dove out of the seat and into the mens room. There was no maxi brakes, just a trolley brake lever on the steering column. No wheel chocks either. I open the restroom door a few minutes later expecting to just leap back up into the saddle, but there's no truck. I look left, no truck. I look right and hoo boy...there it is. Parked half way on top of a Country Squire station wagon's hood. That was a tough one to explain. The trolley brakes specifically say right on the levers themselves "NOT FOR PARKING"...I rationalized my way out of it by saying I really wasn't PARKING per say... I was just at a temporary standstill. Kind of a Bill Clinton deal. I still didn't get fired though. Guess it's tough to find good 4 dollar an hour help, even back then, eh?

  15. #15DPete2008-08-25 22:16

    Wonder if the driver went after his paycheck ?

  16. #16OCR2008-08-26 03:25

    ISU... :lmao

  17. #17OCR2008-08-26 04:01

    What the meaning of is...is: You need an "IS in there, before the NOT in ''NOT FOR PARKING"...:lmao OCR

  18. #18RonG2008-08-26 04:58

    That was a great post Tom.I saw the aftermath of a similar incident with a B-81 coming back from New Haven Trap Rock in New Britain on I-84 going west right after the West st exit. The truck was loaded with aggregate which spilled on the highway but he caught it in time to avoid hitting the West st overpass.Needless to say the driver went home for the day,probably to refresh his uniform at the very least. I always made it a habit to test the PTO lever and if it didn't fight back when I moved it I knew something needed attention there right away.Ron G

  19. #19LowBoy2008-08-26 05:40

    That's right...:falldownlaugh

  20. #20LowBoy2008-08-26 05:47

    [/QUOTE] That's the beautiful thing about having those kind of incidents RonG...it only took me ONE TIME to learn a valuable life's lesson. I constantly told that meatball boss of mine that I wanted a safety chain with a ring fastened to the back of the cab to keep the PTO from jumping in gear like the other 2 trucks had. He insisted that all you had to do was keep checking it. The levers were so long that they had too much leverage and would jump around on every bump. Made for a good story many moons later, and hopefully something for the "yutes" to think about.

  21. #2195zIV2008-08-26 09:10

    We had one where a driver slammed a feller-buncher into a 13'6" railroad bridge on a friday and the next monday him and his boss where there laughing and joking about it.

  22. #22Deere96702008-08-26 14:41

    Holy Crap!!!!!! That is some story ya got there lowboy! Im sure that you got plenty of good ol stories! Im listening:drinkup

  23. #23milling_drum2008-08-26 15:08

    In the summer of 2002, while operating a CMI PR1050 asphalt mill on interstate 285 in Atlanta, A dump truck came off the paver roughly a quarter mile behind us and forgot to put the dump body down. A bridge deck 50 yards ahead of the mill caught him. T'was quite the sight to see the dump body make contact, pull the cab almost as high as the bottom of the bridge, bounce back down off the road and back up half as high, then land on the other side off the bridge deck. The driver got out walking, dazed and unhurt. (we saw him the next week at work, he was fine with it) As soon as I saw the truck pass us with the dump body up, I decel both motors and cut the truck under us loose. We were stopped for the nite right where we were, they didn't let us cut another foot. These things will happen....

  24. #24OCR2008-08-26 16:01

    On a Monday... too!!: RR guys must'a said something awful funny to " him and his boss "... :beatsme I never realized the RR had such a... $-grand-$... sense of humor... Who'da thunk'it...... ever !....... :lmao OCR

  25. #25LowBoy2008-08-26 20:40

    You couldn't even begin to imagine the stories, Deere...I got 'em for every emotion. Happy, sad, joy, anguish. Life's been like a box of chocolates...I never knew what I was gonna get.:OMG

  26. #26qball2008-08-26 22:12

    uh, boss, did you buy that leased hoe yet? no, no reason.

  27. #27RollOver Pete2008-08-26 22:18

    Naaa... Its a rental...

  28. #28DPete2008-08-26 23:11

    It aint easy being a hoe

  29. #29Deerehauler2009-02-19 23:48

    This accident happened near Hays, Kansas between the 177 and 179 exit if memory serves. I went to college there and lived about 1 mile south of this bridge. The trap shooting range is just north of the bridge and it would have made a long drive to go shoot some rock. I'm glad I wasn't on the bridge when this happened!

  30. #30DoosanFan2009-12-05 13:01

    Haha, too many dump truck bin up stories. Thought those things didn't happen in America, only Africa, lol.

  31. #31bill onthehill2009-12-05 15:52

    When I was a youngster I saw a dump truck take out an overhead canopy between the Acme market and the Sears store. He worked for a local Sunoco and on Saturday they washed and serviced a small fleet that hauled for the local quarry. He did not do a lot of damage to the truck but he scattered debris for a 100 yds.

  32. #32AtlasRob2009-12-05 16:43

    Three I know of local to me, all involved 8 wheel tippers. One multi truck company had to pass under the motorway within 100yds of exiting their yard on a small backroad. Yep! one lost the argument with the bridge early one morning. Different company took a steel footbridge clean off its mountings one Saturday morning. Very lucky it was a Saturday as it blocked the major trunk road for a good few hours. The third was going in to work on a lane rental to see somebody had left a roll on off body near the exit to the centre reservation after night shift. It was only as we got closer that it became apparent that it was not infact a ro-ro but a tipper body. A few years back before I had my own I actually drove a duck out through the cones of a lane rental in to the path of a tarmac truck that had just exited the site. Poor driver thought I had lost my mind but it finally got his attention which flashing my lights had not achieved. Between him and me was a bridge and his body was still up :beatsme

  33. #33Corona Kid2010-01-24 08:56

    I do too, It Killed Him!

  34. #34PonyExpress942010-01-24 15:16

    The driver of the lowboy truck in the original post was killed? Not to pry but do you have any description of how that happened? Geez, that's terrible.

  35. #35AtlasRob2010-01-24 17:27

    I dont know where you got the info that the lowboy driver was killed. In all the reports, comments and postings I have seen, NEVER has there been any hint that the driver died, although they are all prior to his boss getting hold of him. As to how it happened :beatsme there was mention of a heavy load crossing the overbridge, that may have caused the bridge to bow as the lowboy went under. Another suggestion is that the lowboy wasnt travelling fast enough to cut all the way through. Most folk seem to think that the arm of the digger was maybe a bit too high and hit the bridge. :Banghead Bottom line......... the driver was off route with an overheight load.

  36. #36Will Musser2010-01-24 17:36

    I think this guy was like 16, had noCDL or insurance or permit.

  37. #372stickbill2010-01-24 19:03

    Aw heck that's nothing.Give about 6 Mexicans a few wheelbarrow loads of concrete and that will be fixed before quitting time. :drinkup

  38. #38Exact Express2010-01-24 19:22

    load height I had a load on one time, that I knew was way under legal, so I didn't measure it. Got stopped by the law and when He asked how high it was, I told Him I was fine but not sure the exact measurment. This was not the answer he wanted to hear, now I check every load so everyone is happy.

  39. #39Corona Kid2010-01-24 20:16

    The Origional Story is Posted In The NB I-15 St George POE, The Driver Was Killed From The Abrupt Stop That Broke His Neck.

  40. #40rigandig2010-02-06 09:24

    The original post is of an accident that happened on I-70 in Salina, Ks. I passed thru there going south about a week after that happened. There is a board member from another BB that I frequent that lives close by. It was determined that the driver was in fact off route when this happened. And he did not die. However, he did suffer brown drawer syndrome I believe.

  41. #41heavylift2010-02-07 21:37

    There was one on I-70 that he was boot-legging his hoe... The state tore the bridge down..then built a new one...the traffic was detoured for a while.... i don't know if this is that bridge

  42. #422stickbill2010-02-07 21:40

    Why not.The trucking company and their insurance are paying for it.

  43. #43griffiths512010-02-07 23:24

    They cut that section of the bridge out and repaired it. I don't think there were any vehicles on top of the bridge when it was hit.

  44. #44OneWelder2010-02-08 08:19

    Lowboy - Did you go for a redo ?- LOL - Last week on the news they had a dump truck body raise and take out a foot bridge

  45. #45hougie2010-08-15 16:33

    that looks very expensive.....

  46. #46kmickels2010-10-30 13:46

    Crash! "what the... Oh...." Running away "yes I would like to report a stolen vehicle!"

  47. #47Haulier2011-08-09 12:23

    I wonder how fast the truck was going to manage such thing!

  48. #48Merab2011-09-16 09:08

    I am dilling with transportation of Komatsu PW 130 ES from Europe to Middle Asia. can you advice on it ?

  49. #49Randy882011-09-21 09:44

    I was hauling a piece of equipment one time that was slightly over height and was routed and came upon an overpass that was just slightly higher than my load was, I slowed up and got almost up to the bridge and stopped and got out to measure the bridge off the hood of my truck, sure enough it was too low, the city had poured a layer of black top over the existing road and never changed the sign. Called the state that routed me and told them the problem I had and oh yea by the way there are a lot of pissed off drivers behind me lined up for almost a mile and get someone out here to direct traffic, I need to back out of here and it's almost a mile before I can turn around, took only a few minutes to get help but hours to get backed out of the mess. Now I always have someone go ahead to measure overheads for me when I'm hauling over height things and unless its an interstate bridge I never take any height posted as gospel but instead have them measured for me by someone I trust or have a pole on a truck to see if it clears by at least 6 inches before I go under them.

  50. #50Sparkie2011-09-25 20:14

    No it didn't, you can see that everything is in tact there. Would have been better if it had though, probably would have saved the drivers life.

  51. #51Thedeeredude2011-11-14 16:42

    Not really how this even happens but it is worth seeing

  52. #52cyclone772012-02-28 23:06

    This happened just north of Hays,KS on the Hall St. overpass over I-70. A friend and I walked down to the site within a half hour of this happening, the driver was Not killed. I was amazed to find out that none the (5) 3/8 load chains were broken after this impact

  53. #53JDOFMEMI2012-02-29 12:45

    Considering that the machine is off the deck and on the ground on one side, plus the impact damage on the bottom of the bridge where something rose up and hit it, I don't see how the chains weren't broken, unless they were not hooked to the load.