Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heavy loads out a hole

fishfighter ยท 2014-01-22 17:31

Asking the pro's, how one gets a stump out a hole that is way to heavy for your backhoe to lift? I'm talking "BIG".

Replies16
  1. #1stumpjumper832014-01-22 18:02

    see, you can dig a ramp down and drag it out. Find some more wood and burn it down to size. split it in half... or lift it out with something bigger

  2. #2grandpa2014-01-22 18:27

    If your not gonna build over it, dig hole deeper and leave it down below!

  3. #3fishfighter2014-01-22 18:34

    Did the ramp thing for one a bit smaller. Leaving it is not going to happen. What I been doing is back filling, lift it, and back fill more. Taking a lot of time, but that is on my side.

  4. #4carogator2014-01-22 20:01

    With my 6500, I reach across it and hook the dipper teeth under and roll it up, settle it in and get another reach . Keep this up until you roll it out. Must really be a large one. I can lift a three foot diameter oak oe 2 1/2 foot diameter pine stump straight up and out.

  5. #5fishfighter2014-01-22 20:25

    It's two red oaks together. Trunks at the base are about 24" each. I got most of the mud off the roots, but the root ball is over 8' across. To push the trees over, I had to dig over 8' down and around.

  6. #6carogator2014-01-22 21:31

    What size and make backhoe are you using? That would be a large lift to make, but rolling would work.

  7. #7jimg9842014-01-22 22:14

    walk it up with backfilling,,,alternating sides each lift ,,, works for me

  8. #8fishfighter2014-01-23 07:06

    A 580C. I will make my ramp longer today and use a come-a-long along with the backhoe and back fill. I will get this sucker out one way or another.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2014-01-23 13:50

    Make sure you are getting the most lift you can with your hoe while lifting/rolling/rocking it. Study each moving part and find the position with the most leverage from the hydraulic cylinder. Position yourself so that each function is at its optimum position when you come up against the load. Work the functions one at a time to get the max out of each one. The hold valves will take more than the pump puts out, so you can load one function with another if you work it right. Remember to get a heavy load in the front bucket to help counterweight the machine. If you have some rocks or something else that you can lay against the far side that will slip underneath as you lift, then you can lift a bit, then set it down without loosing all you had gained. Careful work will get a lot done. Also be aware that using it to the max and then some risks damage.

  10. #10fishfighter2014-01-23 18:20

    Well, got it up about half way blowing out the boom hose. Got that fixed and then the rain started. They are calling for sleet and snow here. Something that doesn't happen often. Oh well. Thanks for the advice all. I will try again in a couple days. 9 hours laying up tomorrow in a hospital bed for a infusion.

  11. #11fhdesign2014-01-23 21:15

    I have the stumps flush cut then once they're free, I flip them over to break off any roots I can, then scratch all of the dirt off. Once it's as light as possible with a proper ramp I either try to pull on one side then the other to walk it out or sometimes spin it out. You may also try a chain to spin it out if getting the machine further away from the hole gives you better traction.

  12. #12fishfighter2014-01-24 06:24

    This stump root ball was more the 8' down. I was easier to fell the trees then trying to cut the trees first due to the deep tap root system we have here. I have a lot of "buck shot mud" (clay), then mixed clay and sand. Being such a big root ball, cutting off as much mud. it is still way more then what my hoe should be handling, but I will get it out in time. The good thing is that this is the only one I have to deal with at this time. Oh, we did and still getting snow here. This happens once or twice every 3-4 years.

  13. #13mikey12014-01-27 21:07

    I have just dug 2 up that are so big that i cant push,pull or roll em, i like the thought of scraping the dirt off the root ball to lighten them up thanks for that idea fhdesign case 580b here

  14. #14stumpjumper832014-01-27 21:42

    I think you just need a trackloader... lol check out this monster, catalpa stump btw

  15. #15AlldayRJ2014-01-27 23:56

    Since you have time take a power washer or hose to it and you can knock off some serious dirt We got really creative moving hurricane sandy stumps

  16. #16fishfighter2014-01-28 04:28

    I tried to work on it some more, but it's at the point that I can't even move it without under cutting. I'm going to have to wait till a friend that farms next to me brings in one of his big tractors. Besides that, I have a couple more that I will need help with. I just hate to leave such a big hole open, but I will leave the ramp open too, just in case any wildlife happens to fall in it. The bad thing is I ripped my digging bucket above the teeth and have to get it welded. I can't weld anymore due to have a pacemaker/defibulator. Also, rain, sleet and snow today with a high of 30F. Way to cold for this old man. LOL So, it will be a day in front of the fireplace and cooking a good seafood gumbo.