Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 low coolant and oil bubbling out of dip stick

shopteacher 1 ยท 2014-01-22 17:47

Started my old hoe yesterday to get ready for the snow. She started without issue and warmed up. I moved her up closer to the house and was ready to shut her down when I noticed oil bubbling out of the dipstick. I shut her down and checked the coolant, which was low. We have had very cold weather, and I admit I did not check the antifreeze this year. I have not added any coolant to it and the last time, this past fall that I checked the coolant it was full. The last time I check the antifreeze it was good to -10F, and as I had not added any coolant, figured it should still be good to the temperature. It has been cold,but not that cold. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies2
  1. #1DMiller2014-01-22 18:08

    Check the oil level to see if it is overfull. If yes then allow to sit for awhile to settle-out and crack the drain plug loose until what fluid is behind it starts dribbling out, if there is coolant there it will be first out. If coolant in oil could be a cracked sleeve o-ring, bad oil cooler, or cracked head or block. Again IF water in the oil find someone with a pressure tester, pull the engine oil pan and pressurize the cooling system to around 12# it should show up as to where it is leaking. Sorry to hear of the trouble.

  2. #2shopteacher 12014-01-23 22:56

    Thanks DMiller, when the weather breaks I will follow your recomendations and see what happens.