Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HEF guinea pig JCB Teleskid

Pixie ยท 2024-09-09 16:57

New. Delivered today. Sold a large piece of land that I'd struggled to manage for 20 years with only minimal heavy equipment. Now, I have the bucks to get what I needed then. Going to use this to move snow, grade driveways and build trails on the land I have left. I seriously considered a Mecalac 8MCR. It could have replaced the old CAT but there were too much exposed hydraulics for messing around in the woods and it is expensive and rare. Wish me luck !!

Replies20
  1. #1KSSS2024-09-09 20:38

    Let us know how it goes.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2024-09-09 20:57

    I hope there's a feature that prevents you from extending too far based on the weight you're lifting. That could turn ugly in a hurry. Handy for some work though.

  3. #3Pixie2024-09-10 16:21

    It came with a small hydraulic leak. A service truck came and serviced it first thing this morning and left me the rest of the gallon of JCB fluid. I got it both stuck and seriously muddy today so that's over with... Still leaking a tiny bit in the same area but it might be the upper line so I could tighten it myself. After my adventure in the mud, I should probably tilt the cab and make sure it's still clean in the belly. It doesn't have a tip sensor but neither does an excavator. Think I will be able to deal with it. Now I own things with 3 different patterns.... tried to make the excavator go forward with the left joystick Haha.

  4. #4Vetech632024-09-10 19:11

    I hope JCB improved that single side boom design. When that first came out it was extremely weak.

  5. #5materthegreater2024-09-10 22:31

    Congrats! But, that's much too clean to have gotten stuck! Try harder next time Keeping track of control patterns can definitely be tricky.

  6. #6Pixie2024-12-24 16:10

    4" of snow last night. Love the machine and the pusher and the track chains !

  7. #7materthegreater2025-01-21 22:00

    Did you get any snow over the weekend? How does the JCB do in the cold?

  8. #8Pixie2025-01-22 08:36

    We only got about 3" of very fluffy snow. Not worth starting any engines in the cold for it. (5 below this morning my thermometer says. Airport 3 miles away say minus 17...) But maybe I'll try it this weekend. It has been starting well so far. Has some kind of computer operated preheat.Thanks for asking

  9. #9materthegreater2025-01-22 10:34

    Same as here. I've had to do more sanding than plowing so far this winter.

  10. #10Pixie2025-01-22 15:35

    Yes, same conditions here but I don't have a sander so I'm more likely to leave small snow storms because when it rains the snow kind of absorbs it and when it freezes, it usually has a texture or is crunchy. If it's plowed, it's more likely to turn into glare ice when it rains.

  11. #11TVA2025-01-22 16:36

    Those things are terrible for fine work! No matter which mode you select for both bucket and drive - they are keep being too jerky! The one thing that JCB never fixed, on both older Robot line and these newer ones - traction motors getting loose all the time! Watch out for that.

  12. #12CM19952025-01-22 19:09

    Pixie that machine should be very useful in the remodeling business. Part skid and part compact rough terrain forklift. A telescoping arm on a CTL would've been handier than a shirt pocket back in my homebuilder days. Congrats!

  13. #13Pixie2025-01-22 19:41

    Thanks, CM1995 I'm old and finishing up what will likely be my last building project. Still have some picking up to do and driveway remodeling and trails thru the woods to build. And some years there is serious snow removal !

  14. #14Pixie2025-02-01 16:17

    Started the JCB today after it sitting for about a month. It was about 18 last night. Going to be minus 19 tonight ! It started fine... a few extra revolutions.

  15. #15materthegreater2025-02-01 16:24

    How much snow did you get last night? It's only supposed to be 5 below zero here tonight.

  16. #16Pixie2025-02-01 17:03

    Only about 4" last night. We've had a couple other 2-3" events that I just ignored and a part of that had evaporated ( actually called sublimation when it goes directly from solid to gas ie: not melting) Edit: just looked at the weather again. Now they say -13

  17. #17materthegreater2025-02-01 21:53

    Similar amounts here over the past week or so. I like to drive over the smaller amounts and get a good base packed down so the plow doesn't dig into the gravel. Sublimation is an interesting process.

  18. #18materthegreater2025-02-02 19:21

    I'm curious to know a little more about your track chains. What brand are they? Looks like there are 5 or 6 on each track? Easy enough to take back off in the spring? I moved some snow banks last week with my machine and having some traction on the ice and glazed snow would have been very helpful.

  19. #19Pixie2025-02-02 20:33

    This brand is "Chains for Tracks " There are supposed to be seven per track but I looked at a picture and didn't read the directions.... https://chainsfortracks.com/cart-2/ I did find a cheaper brand but there were only 5 chains per track and they stuck out more. https://stoutbuckets.com/products/trackclaws?variant=41795900014732 They both attach pretty easily but I think newer tracks are a little more difficult cause they are thicker and it took me a few tries to get good at getting them on. Don't know about getting them off yet but I don't see a problem. My driveway has some 'terrain' and always seems to be icey so it was worth it to me.

  20. #20Pixie2025-02-03 08:34

    I forgot to say that my Sthil chainsaw scrench fits the track chains so I can keep one of those in the cab rather than a real wrench. I painted them blue in case any fell off they'd be easier to find. ( Painting chains isn't easy !! )