Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259d head gasket

Hubcap395 · 2024-09-12 14:29

I’m currently replacing the head gasket on a Cat 259d. I was hoping someone could share the torque specs on the head bolts

Replies14
  1. #18V712024-09-12 15:15

    Do you have the Serial number?

  2. #2Hubcap3952024-09-12 15:29

    FTL14393

  3. #3Nige2024-09-13 05:00

    See attached. It's probably a bit late now but there are a number of things that should have been done when it was disassembled that I'm guessing probably weren't. Best of Luck.

  4. #4Hubcap3952024-09-13 07:31

    Thanks. I’ve actually just removed head so this info is great. My gasket has 2 notches. Are there 3 different thickness head gaskets. The Cat dealer didn’t ask about how many notches. Thx

  5. #5Nige2024-09-13 08:41

    There are three Part Numbers, each one is a dfferent thickness. The one with 2 notches is the standard one. The details of the thickness of each gasket is in the attachment above. Another thing you should note is that the cylinder head bolts are NOT reusable. The attachment mentions that also.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-09-13 11:18

    Is there a way to determine what head gasket to use if you have a basket case. I have a basket case to put together.

  7. #7Nige2024-09-13 11:30

    It appears as though you need to measure the position of the piston crowns to determine which gasket to use on a rebuild. Refer to Table 1 in the procedure posted above.

  8. #8Hubcap3952024-09-13 11:41

    Yes. I have gotten new head bolts.

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-09-13 11:49

    I maybe missing something. All I'm seeing is the turque procedure

  10. #10Nige2024-09-13 12:12
  11. #11Hubcap3952024-09-13 13:21

    By chance would you know the torque for the rocker arm shaft. Thx

  12. #12Nige2024-09-13 13:27

    See attached.

  13. #13Hubcap3952024-09-13 13:30

    Really appreciate the help

  14. #14Tyler d4c2024-09-13 13:40

    Thanks Nige!