A new member asked for help last Saturday and has not responded to a lot of good advice that has been posted in his thread. FWIW ! which isn't much. He may have cleared the cookies in his computer. That would enable him to look at everything on HEF without logging in. But, there are programs that will clear all cookies but have an option to protect logins.
Consider it like giving a buck to a homeless person. You did your part.
Been seeing this allot on other forums, as well as new people not searching the archives first, posting a question that's been asked (and answered) many times before...I think both actions are dis-respectful.
But, but....they're homeless
I know that I may have registered on some forum that I had only a one-time interest in, asked a question, and then forgot to come back and follow up. So any non-regular could do that quite by accident.
They got what they paid for.
It's the internet, we draw from the population of the world. Some people are outgoing and vocal, others introverts and shy. All are welcome here.
I usually try to post follow up pictures and what happened after I get help. On some things, it takes me a lot of time to get back to it though.
I have to admit that sometimes, I've asked questions, immediately read the answer, appreciated the help, but forgotten to thank people. I do try to offer thanks, as manners are important, but sometimes, it slips. PLUS, there are probably a slew more people who didn't ask, but read, and learn new things. So your answers are a huge help!
I'm still trying to work through my shyness, so you all be patient with me. Bluox has been helping me through it.
Counselling worked for me!
Shyness, BWAHAHA. Yer just afraid of getting banned again
I have done something similar before, asked for help, gone and tried help offered and it didn't work, so just didn't have the heart to respond as I was busy with a match and 5 gallon of fuel. I'm of the give and take ideology, I give as much help as I can without expecting anything back so I can take some advice without responding lol.
Tinkerer, I know what you mean. Many times in years past people have come here and asked a question that I thought I could help with. So I go out to my manual room, find the correct manual, read through the appropriate section so that I can give them good information. That all takes time on my part and then I when I don't hear back from the OP I feel like I wasted my time. It's a bit frustrating until I realize that I sometimes fail to respond to answers to some of my questions. We are busy, we get the problem solved and go on to the next thing. And like Steve said, it's the internet....
The great benefit of the way this forum operates as an independant website, as opposed to a FB group or similar, is that the information is searchable and available. The post that somebody spent time to research might have been ignored by the OP, but it is there and available for the next guy. There are a lot of people that come here and read without ever joining.
I'm annoyed at the ones that just update "never mind I figured it out" and nothing else. Especially when I'm the one searching for answers.
Hand raised! I apologize. A long time ago in 2012 I was here looking for answers about my first venture into this area of construction equipment - Loader/backhoes. I posted a few questions then life changed -- my bad. Point being, I know what you are all talking about. I have since learned to finish what you start. I am a card carrying member of a couple of forums and will never leave and issue opened without some sort of closure. I don't know if it's disrespectful or just frustration from folks looking for an instant answer to a question that has no instant answer available -- especially when it comes to equipment as complex as these machines. Sorry for spouting, But I get it --- now.
I think the downside of it is that someone with the same problem would read the unfinished thread and get no benefit from the time and effort all the contributors put into it. It is nice to see (read) closure on a problem.
I believe it's more important to get them pointed in the right direction sometimes rather than just throw the answers at them, the OP will learn more if he has to put some skin in the game. If they don't come back or respond it's their loss, HEF still did it's job.
I always ask the people I did a pump for to PLEASE go back to the forum you found me at and update your thread.. Some do and some don’t..but I ask them too..
Reminds me that I need to close out a thread or two.
Embarrassing. It was more like 5 or 6.
You're on other forums? Which ones?
Tractor forum Tractor by net Was on Yesterdays tractor but they have a pump guy there with a loyal following.. We chatted a bit and he seemed like a good guy and I politely bowed out from that site and gave it to him..