Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hein werner ??

maddog ยท 2010-08-05 18:56

Hey folks I have a mini excavator, jcb 8015 4k lbs, and this site was VERY helpfull :notworthy. Well now I'm thinking of going a bit bigger, I have a chance to get a hein werner c14a{I believe it's a c14a} does anyone have any info on them? I believe it will be a good deal, still have to check it over better . I'm only going to use it for personal use, dredging a pond and digging another small one plus some small stuff around my place. I'm just wondering if parts are still available? If there is something that may be a weak link, I should look for etc? Thanks for any help/info it is appreciated

Replies13
  1. #1shorty7502010-08-05 19:53

    been using a 14 for use on farm for age main body works fine but under carage is shot privious owner put on much larger bucket than needs for normal wk has put other straighn on it for price paid for it 7 or 8 yrs ago been good investment and dont use much fuel older 215 had was a fuel hog.

  2. #2Buckethead2010-08-05 20:35

    I believe all the hydraulic system parts like pumps and cylinders were generic industry stuff, should still be available. All the ones I saw had Detroit engines, if yours is, engine parts will not be a problem.

  3. #3maddog2010-08-06 12:18

    awsome, thanks folks, yes it is a detroit engine. It ran 3yrs ago for digging a pond. The guy that owns it finished the pond and there it has set ever since. I did look it over and believe it might be a good project with some TLC. If/when the deal goes through I'll try to get some pictures. Are there any tricks to getting it started after setting for so long? What type of battery does it use? Also what oils, would engine rotella 15-40 be okay, and would aw32 hydraulic be allright? Are there any other oils needed? Are there any hidden grease fitting that I should look for. Thanks again for all the help, sorry to ask so many questions.

  4. #4shorty7502010-08-06 19:29

    check the swing gear box mine calls for 90wt it has had a semitrk battery in it when got only pro was when got below frezing didnt use then so didnt worry about most componets are not to hard to find undercarage off older d5 fitts. if water in fuel tank plug in front bottom corner mine ran out of fuel yesterday filled up churned little and fired up detroits or nice on that. good luck

  5. #5Buckethead2010-08-06 20:19

    Maddog if yours is a C14A it probably has the old crane type bottom with flat pads.

  6. #6surfer-joe2010-08-07 16:56

    Keep plenty of hydraulic fluid available. My brother and I called ours the "hydraulic rain forest!"

  7. #7maddog2010-08-09 08:57

    thanks again folks, still working out the deal, I'll keep ya posted.

  8. #8Komatsu 1502010-08-09 09:07

    There is quite a bit of talk on the forum about oil in Detroits. Consensus and Detroit's recommendation is straight 40 weight in the summer. Design hot oil pressure at idle is quite low so I think I would stick with the 40 weight. As I remember 7 to 10 lbs hot idle is good for new engine.

  9. #9maddog2010-08-09 15:10

    :drinkup thanks for the heads up

  10. #10maddog2010-08-09 15:12

    Yep, the guy called them street pads???

  11. #11Buckethead2010-08-09 19:39

    The undercarriage is different than a modern machine with flat pads. On a newer machine, (even a C-14B) the tracks are similar to a dozer. On the early hydraulic hoes, they used a regular crane bottom, flat cast pads pinned together, no track chain. I believe early H-W bottoms were made by Insley.

  12. #12maddog2010-08-10 12:46

    Thanks again for the info :scool. Buckethead you described it right on the nose. I'm in the process of charging the battery then I'll see if it'll fire up {next couple of days}. Another stupid question, what is the control pattern??? I've never operated a machine like this, just the newer cat312 and such. What would be the proper engine rpm to operate? Is there anything I need to be aware of once running?

  13. #13Buckethead2010-08-10 16:51

    Left lever. Push= swing left, Pull= swing right Right lever. Push= boom down, pull=boom up Pedals are bucket and crowd, forget which is which The two smaller levers are travel, kinda like a modern machine, but no travel pedals. The travel levers knuckle in, so be careful with them. It probably has free swing like a crane, so be careful. It does not necessarily stop swinging when you let go of the lever.