My HW was working great, when out of the blue it made a bang and then blew oil every where. It was getting dark so I couldn't see anything, I have a feeling this isn't going to be good :Banghead I really do like this machine but have a feeling this might be one repair that will cost more then what it is worth
yea, warner swasey did same thing near dark. was a hose............what kind of oil? send photo!
I checked it out, hole in the side of the engine block right behind/next to the starter
Rod let go? Sorry to hear.
That's what I figured I'm sure this machine owes the world nothing. I have no idea how many actual hrs are on it but I'll bet it has seen more then it's fair share of dirt rocks sand mud............ Looks like it will be going to the scap yard
tragedy, why don't you look for another plant first? u don't need to spend serious $ to find something to turn that pump.
What would work, does it have to be another detroit, I noticed the pumps work best when in high rev.
I think you might have found the oil leak. Plus what caused the big bang.Good job.:drinkup
A friend had a rod come through the side of a detroit. Disassembled the engine, welded a mild steel patch in the hole. Rebuilt the engine, put it back in a small dozer and ran it. Don't know what the rebuild cost. Good luck
I don't think that Detroits rev as high as they sound, you may be able to repower with something quieter and more economical. Are used Detroits pricey?
A rebuild kit cost around $1500.00 if my engine is worth rebuilding?? A good used running detroit engine, from what I've come up with so far, is pricy around $5000.00 or more. Thebaz; I think you may be correct I'm going to check into it more. I do know the engine in it now when running was a fuel pig, it seemed like it burned it just has fast as I could poor it in.
pump rpm may be a critical factor here so u may have to consider operating rpm before anything else. the fixit job mentioned above sounds ok also.... i have a 413 block in race car welded, works good.
This may be a good resource if you go the rebuild, http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/diesel_talk/index.cfm?nocookies=yed and according to this http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm most detroits are around the 2100 rpm range. Put a 3208 cat motor @ 2800rpm you will have a real fast machine Baz
Some of the 5.9 Cummins are in a lot of Machinery.Seen one put in a Skidder that had a Detroit.Only difference was quieter and less fuel.
Those Cummins B motors are everywhere and are pretty much bulletproof. Good re-power option if one is available at a good price
Thanks everyone I'm gonna start the search and see what I can come up with. I'm also going to check out the original and see if it is worth saving.
good advise here, i should think you can eventually find a affordable plant some place that will power this machine. you'll just have to do some digging and keep your eyes/ears open.... lots of us are looking for things.
From what I can figure I have the detroit 6V53 that runs at 2800rpm, the 3208 cat and the 5.9cummins{24V} also run at a higher rpm so they may work. I also saw something somewhere{can't remember???} that said these machine might of even had a 318 chrysler or perkins diesel in them.
The *53 detroits rev a bit harder than the *71s. narrows the options a bit. I think the Cummins would be a better option than the Cat, would a 12v be a cheaper option. I think they are governed at 2500rpm.
re-power I know someone who re-powered a Hein-Werner with an Isuzu out of a GMC Forward. Works fine and a lot quieter. Dominion:canada
Thebaz; I believe the 24V cummins has a higher rpm rate?? Dominion 410; do you have any info on exactly what isuzu they used? I know the detroit had to be rev'd full throttle before it would operate fully.
Is the 24V Cummins a construction type application or truck and bus? I am not sure if the torque curve is different and may not suit excavator work.
that is probably me that dominion 410 is talking about, Had a Hein werner with a 4-53 in it, repowered it with a Isuzu out of an 88 gmc forwarder it was a 6BG1 engine, it was a 6 cyl diesel rated at 154 hp also put on new hydraulic pumps at the time they where commirical shear same as what was origonally on the hein werner, i used to run the engine between 1800 and 2200 rpm and never had any trouble with it, started go, real quiet and good on fuel.
Thanks Mapleleaftrucks, If I'm not mistaken the detroit 6v53 is rated at 210 hp and it had to be rev'd up to run correct. I'm not sure if it needed all that power but it did like the rpm's.
maddog sez: "I know the detroit had to be rev'd full throttle before it would operate fully. " Your pumps may be tired too. At less than full throttle, the machine should operate, just better chance of stalling the engine. If it hhas to be full RPM, the pumps are probably not far behind the engine. Check fleaBay, seems to be a fair number of complete 6V53 engines listed there....that was a pretty common engine, so a runner shouldn't be that hard to find. But there were LOTS of variations with build state of a 6V53. Making sure the governor and injectors match your old engine will be a bit more difficult. May want to use your old engine as an organ donor.
Isuzu Yes, that was Mapleleaf's machine.
Yes BSAA65LB is right about the pumps mine where finished and had to run the detroit full throttle to work properly, when i put the new pumps on the Isuzu i had to reset all the releive valves, Also the Isuzu did not lose rev's when it was pulling like the detroit did.
I was wondering the same thing about the pumps being worn. Is there a place to look for pumps? I have three that are hooked to the engine, one long at the top and two shorter ones at the bottom. I belive the two are denison??