I am a farmer looking for a cheap machine to clean up some land I just purchased. I found 1979 hein-werner c-14b looks not to bad.what should I look for? And is it hard to find parts for this machine?Also what is the horse power?And what is reasonable for this machine?
One website said the tracks are the same as Case...
I was thinking all Hein-Werners had crane pads, no? If its in good shape, operates hiccup free for at least a 45 min. test 'drive' and has no major leaks(besides the Detroit) than i would say you have a good farm machine. Whats a good price depends on how much work you have to do, how much repair your willing to pay for if needed and how much your saving over renting or hiring for the work. Good luck!
The C-14B was the later model, from the late 70s to the early 80s. They had a newer style undercarriage. They were very modern looking compared to the old C-14HDs and C-14As. The one I ran had the old HW control pattern, but I believe you could change them over to joysticks.
I had a lot of trouble with the swing motor bolts coming loose than breaking off, any of the ones i ran never had a swing brake and they where very weak in the swing, Also they would crack where the turn table is welded to the car body, All the hydralics are commercial shear no trouble getting parts for them except the hydralic cylinders think they could be hein werner's own, they used 4 steel piston rings inside in stead of neoprene positive seals. I still run one and it's been a pretty fair machine, i put an Isuzu engine in it about 10 yrs ago though and that was a big improvment over the Gimmy.
I wiuld just get yourself a 200 series Cat. I use one consistantly on jobs, and no problems. Parts are in the next day. No computers, all mechanical.